2009 BCS National Championship Game in 3D - Gators vs. Sooners! - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeoates View Post

Any word on a Blu-ray version of this being available for sale.

No, because most all HDTV's are not compatible with the technology.

Besides how effective 3D is in creating an immersive viewing experence, the main reason good 3D will continue to grow in popularity is that CE manufacturers like the idea of having the next big thing to sell.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Agreed. For all those wondering what the next thing is for HT nuts like us after HD... I think 3D may be. OTOH, I don't see it being adopted by the masses ever. I could see it with Laser Disclike adoption rates but with a bit more staying power. For those thinking that 2 or 4k resolutions are next....I'd guess that 3D will be what LD was to 4k's Blu-Ray. About 20 years down the road.
post #33 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

Why? What's he got to do with FOX, BCS, or 3D?

Major investor in the theater chain showing the event. You didn't see the rash of commercials (virtually between everything on HDNET for weeks)? He had purchased 9.4% of the Company as of filings on 12/29/2008.

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2008/1...rmike-cinemas/

Mark Cuban discloses stake in Carmike Cinemas
Posted Dec 29th 2008 2:30PM by Zac Bissonnette

Mark Cuban disclosed in a 13-D filed this morning that he has a 9.4% stake in Carmike Cinemas (NASDAQ: CKEC).

Unlike Mr. Cuban's personal blog, the 13-D lacks much in the way of color: There is the standard disclosure that he acquired the stake for investment purposes and may buy more or sell some or all depending on his mood.

According to the company, "Carmike Cinemas, Inc. is a U.S. leader in digital cinema and 3-D cinema deployments and one of the nation's largest motion picture exhibitors. As of September 30, 2008, Carmike had 250 theatres with 2,276 screens in 36 states. Carmike's digital cinema footprint reaches 2,147 screens, of which 430 are also equipped with 3-D capability. Carmike's focus for its theatre locations is small to mid-sized communities with populations of fewer than 100,000."

The company has been reporting huge losses as it sinks under the weight of a crippling debt load and economic malaise. But Cuban's one of the smartest people in business, so maybe there's some upside to be had. The shares have lost about 90% of their value since the beginning of 2007.

http://dallas.ismyhome.com/news/mark...rmike-cinemas/

Mark Cuban Buys Stake In Carmike CinemasMonday
Dec 29, 2008
Author: Raine Devries

That daring dancing boy wonder, Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks basketball team and co-owner of the Landmark Theaters cinema chain, has acquired a 9.4 percent stake in Carmike Cinemas Inc., according to an SEC filing today.

In the Securities and Exchange Commission filing, Cuban reported buying 1.2 million Carmike shares on the open market for roughly $2.8 million of his own funds. According to the filing, Cuban has been acquiring the shares through his personal investment account since mid-October.

If you want to jump on this bandwagon, fire up your E*Trade account and the stock symbol is CKEC.

Carmike has 252 theaters in 36 states, most of which are equipped for digital projection.

In Monday’s SEC filing, Cuban said he acquired his stake in Columbus, Ga.-based Carmike for investment purposes. He reserved his right to discuss the company’s performance and strategic direction with Carmike’s stockholders, officers or directors.

Cuban co-owns movie theater chain Landmark Theatres with Todd Wagner, who was his co-founder of the pioneering online audio streamer Audionet. The service, later named Broadcast.com, was sold by Cuban and Wagner to Yahoo! in 1999.

The Wagner/Cuban Cos. also include distribution company Magnolia Pictures, production company 2929 Productions, and high definition cable networks HDNet and HDNet Movies.

Carmike shares fell 4 cents to $1.99 in morning trading. The stock has traded between $1.37 and $11.37 during the past 52 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachComber View Post

Major investor in the theater chain showing the event. You didn't see the rash of commercials (virtually between everything on HDNET for weeks)? He had purchased 9.4% of the Company as of filings on 12/29/2008.

And you think because he has that stake, the theaters were somehow told, mandated, to get the 3D right?

post #35 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 10
Has anyone seen how many tickets were actually sold for this?

Mark Vidonic
[email protected]
post #36 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

And you think because he has that stake, the theaters were somehow told, mandated, to get the 3D right?

Again, the only theater reported here to have it right from the beginning was in Dallas.

Yes, I think that theater has probably been gone over technically 10 more times than the other places as the 10% owner (Cuban) probably is in there often.
post #37 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Again, the only theater reported here to have it right from the beginning was in Dallas.

Yes, I think that theater has probably been gone over technically 10 more times than the other places as the 10% owner (Cuban) probably is in there often.

Sounds like a stretch to me. Let me ask.

post #38 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sounds like a stretch to me. Let me ask.

Have you ever made the trip between the 9000 block of Sunset and the 6000 block of Sunset Blvd?

How many over the top billboards for movies do you see that there are no billboards any place else in America for the movie?

You think its because the Actors, Directors, Producers and Studio Heads just happen to travel in that area?

Of course things are done at a specific place for specific people all the time.

How many times do you think Les Moonves has walked into KCBS/KCAL vs their UHF station in Tampa?
post #39 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm 99% sure Cuban had nothing to do with it. The theater I watched it in without issue is in located in Hurst, TX, which is basically in Fort Worth. The only other theater offering it in the Dallas-Ft Worth (DFW) metroplex is located in the heart of Ft Worth. Both are Rave Theater chains- not Carmike. There are literally dozens if not over a hundred theater complexes in the DFW metroplex so I highly doubt Cuban decided to scrutinize this specific one - especially considering the Dallas Mavericks played the same night.
post #40 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinhmen View Post

I'm 99% sure Cuban had nothing to do with it. The theater I watched it in without issue is in located in Hurst, TX, which is basically in Fort Worth. The only other theater offering it in the Dallas-Ft Worth (DFW) metroplex is located in the heart of Ft Worth. Both are Rave Theater chains- not Carmike. There are literally dozens if not over a hundred theater complexes in the DFW metroplex so I highly doubt Cuban decided to scrutinize this particular one - especially considering the Dallas Mavericks played the same night.

Actually, Cuban was in Las Vegas anyway - but if it was not a Carmike, then it had nothing to do with Cuban, which has followed their philosphy of going into to smaller markets that are not overly saturated with Cinemas.
post #41 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:

Have you ever made the trip between the 9000 block of Sunset and the 6000 block of Sunset Blvd?

How many over the top billboards for movies do you see that there are no billboards any place else in America for the movie?

You think its because the Actors, Directors, Producers and Studio Heads just happen to travel in that area?

Of course things are done at a specific place for specific people all the time.

How many times do you think Les Moonves has walked into KCBS/KCAL vs their UHF station in Tampa?

Fine. What you are suggesting is still a stretch. A big one.

post #42 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Fine. What you are suggesting is still a stretch. A big one.

You don't think the Clear Channel TV Station in San Antonio is given more because of its location? The Cox TV Station in Atlanta? And every other station located in the same city as the Corporate Office?

Did KABC or WABC get HD News first?

Anything special about the Car Dealerships in Detroit?

You think that a Movie Theater in Los Angeles might have better adjusted equipment and audio than say in Lubbock Texas even though the ticket prices might be the same?

I am aware of an entire system put in one of the Mann Theaters in California by a Movie Studio. Think they did that in Lubbock?

Its common in virtually every business that special emphasis is put on certain cities (and not revenue related) and it would not be a stretch to believe the same would be done in a location where you have a major investor.
post #43 of 52 Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:

You don't think the Clear Channel TV Station in San Antonio is given more because of its location? The Cox TV Station in Atlanta? And every other station located in the same city as the Corporate Office?

Did KABC or WABC get HD News first?

Anything special about the Car Dealerships in Detroit?

You think that a Movie Theater in Los Angeles might have better adjusted equipment and audio than say in Lubbock Texas even though the ticket prices might be the same?

I am aware of an entire system put in one of the Mann Theaters in California by a Movie Studio. Think they did that in Lubbock?

Its common in virtually every business that special emphasis is put on certain cities (and not revenue related) and it would not be a stretch to believe the same would be done in a location where you have a major investor.

You've said the same thing twice now. Besides, it was already pointed out to you the theater wasn't owned by Carmike. End of story.

post #44 of 52 Old 01-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I saw the game in a Carmike theater in Ft. Collins, Colorado, a smallish town about 60 miles north of Denver. The only other theater in the state able to show it was another Carmike 60 miles south in Colorado Springs. It was pretty obvious that Carmike corporate, based in Columbus, Georgia, did nothing to prep it's locations for the game. The projectionist played with the pre-game feed, pressing every set-up button he could find. He showed us every aspect ratio the Christie would do, isolated every channel on the Dolby processor, finally zoomed the picture to fill the 24' screen, then stood in the viewing window throughout the game, RealD glassed on right side up, and watched the entire event "inside-out". He never made any polarity adjustments. Absolutely clueless, as was the audience. They only sold about 30 tickets to a 220 seat auditorium and about half the people had left by halftime grumbling about how the 3D didn't work.

I've sent letters to Sandy Climan, CEO of 3ality, and Jeff Butkovsky, CTO of Cinedigm, telling them they have 30 days to come up with an idiot proof PJ setup solution for the NBA game next month. I'll probably email Cuban, since I hear he often answers, and point out that his small stake in Carmike isn't likely to go anywhere if their management team can't even insure that their theater personnel have the training and help needed to show live 3D.
post #45 of 52 Old 01-11-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post

I'll probably email Cuban.....

Just tell him to move to Ft. Collins, and you're all set!

post #46 of 52 Old 01-11-2009, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnty View Post

I I'll probably email Cuban, since I hear he often answers, and point out that his small stake in Carmike isn't likely to go anywhere if their management team can't even insure that their theater personnel have the training and help needed to show live 3D.

Yes, considering the number of live 3D events each year, problems with the 3D events is going to make or break his investment.
post #47 of 52 Old 01-11-2009, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

Yes, considering the number of live 3D events each year, problems with the 3D events is going to make or break his investment.

They did not even come close to surround sound in the complex i was in.

Many other issues besides just the 3D.
post #48 of 52 Old 01-13-2009, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

Just tell him to move to Ft. Collins, and you're all set!

Looks like Cuban won't have to move. See below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom View Post

Yeah, I'm sure he's loosing a lot of sleep over it.

While many, including myself, are quick to criticize theaters for cluelessly showing the game with the 3D polarity reversed and not trying to fix it, I received a great response from the manager of the Carmike theater in Ft. Collins, Colorado. It is an interesting perspective from one on the "front line":

Quote:

I am the manager of the Carmike 10 in Fort Collins. I recently received your letter regarding the BCS 3D Game. I would like to express my sincerest apology for your poor experience at my theater. I understand that your excitement level for this presentation was quite high and that you went out of your way to visit our theater, only to be disappointed. I am extremely sorry that your very reasonable expectations were not met.

I would like to explain the circumstances behind this event, though I am certainly not offering any excuses. I gather from your letter that you have a technical interest in the 3D process (I myself follow several threads on AVS), so I thought you would appreciate more than a simple apology. You are correct in your overall assessment of the problem. The polarity was incorrectly switched and should be reversed to correct the problem. For our theater this was a new issue that we haven't yet encountered, as it was specific to this game (i.e. this has not been an issue for any of our previous 3D presentations.). The issue became evident during our testing and viewing of the BCS content. I sincerely wish we had been able to correct the problem during the screening, as you state that some other theaters were able to do. Unfortunately, the projectionists and managers at our theater, and many other theaters, are not authorized and in fact are password blocked from making changes at this level to our projection equipment. This is to prevent us from making unauthorized changes that would damage the equipment. We are required to have our service technician physically come to our theater and make these changes himself. I assure you that had I been able to change this myself, I would have done so. I was on the phone throughout the showing of the BCS Game with our service dispatch center, but unfortunately our service technician could not make it up to our theater in time (he is located in Denver) to fix the issue during the show because he had already been dispatched to a different location in the state. Again, this is not an excuse for our poor presentation, simply an explanation. There is no reason in my mind why we shouldn't have been able to fix this issue more promptly to provide you with the experience you expected. My frustration level with this issue has been great, and I have passed on this frustration to those I felt might be able to make a change to how this system works.

The polarity issue has now been resolved. I have also been assured from my technician that should this or any other problem arise prior to or during our next live 3D presentation (the NBA All-Star Game) that every effort will be made, and we will be successful in correcting the problem in a much more timely fashion.

This Carmike theater is certainly trying to present a good 3D experience. They also sent free passes to the NBA game, refreshments included. A very good recovery to a disappointing situation.
post #49 of 52 Old 01-13-2009, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kudos to the manager! This is what good service is, and should always be.

Good service is not perfection, which can't be achieved, but he explained how the bad situation occurred, took steps so that it won't happen again, and provided some compensation for your poor experience.

Cliff
post #50 of 52 Old 01-13-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

The only problem is the explanation brings up more questions if we are to take it word for word.

#1) I suspected the feed was out of phase given the high number of reports. However, email communications with the CEO of RealD during the event was that it was being fed correctly.

#2) If the unit is password protected, how did all the Cinemas noted in this thread correct the problem do it?

#3) If the tech was already dispatched from Denver to another location, then clearly he had set up that location incorrectly as well.

#4) I was in a Carmike Complex that was showing it on 4 screens. 3 were wrong. 1 was right. If it only is to be touched by a certain tech person and is password protected, then clearly, either 1 or 3 theaters in the complex were set up incorrectly by this person (3 if the feed was correct, 1 if the feed was out of phase).

Bottom line, why was the feed fed out of phase (if it truly was) and why was it not corrected even if it meant pulling the plug for 30 seconds? There was 3D shots 30 minutes prior to kickoff and it could have been done then (of course, Sony had the sound screwed for the entire first half in Vegas and it was not fixed until the rebooted the IRD at half-time, of course practically everyone had left by then anyway, so perhaps that shows how bad decisions on killing the feed for a short time are).

Then again, if it was not out of phase, then why were so many theaters out of phase when these super-duper techs who are only allowed to touch the projectors had supposedly set them up correctly? It certain appears the so called super techs were pretty incompetent all across the USA if this many theaters were wired incorrectly.
post #51 of 52 Old 01-14-2009, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

The only problem is the explanation brings up more questions if we are to take it word for word.

#1) I suspected the feed was out of phase given the high number of reports. However, email communications with the CEO of RealD during the event was that it was being fed correctly.

#2) If the unit is password protected, how did all the Cinemas noted in this thread correct the problem do it?

#3) If the tech was already dispatched from Denver to another location, then clearly he had set up that location incorrectly as well.

#4) I was in a Carmike Complex that was showing it on 4 screens. 3 were wrong. 1 was right. If it only is to be touched by a certain tech person and is password protected, then clearly, either 1 or 3 theaters in the complex were set up incorrectly by this person (3 if the feed was correct, 1 if the feed was out of phase).

Bottom line, why was the feed fed out of phase (if it truly was) and why was it not corrected even if it meant pulling the plug for 30 seconds? There was 3D shots 30 minutes prior to kickoff and it could have been done then (of course, Sony had the sound screwed for the entire first half in Vegas and it was not fixed until the rebooted the IRD at half-time, of course practically everyone had left by then anyway, so perhaps that shows how bad decisions on killing the feed for a short time are).

Then again, if it was not out of phase, then why were so many theaters out of phase when these super-duper techs who are only allowed to touch the projectors had supposedly set them up correctly? It certain appears the so called super techs were pretty incompetent all across the USA if this many theaters were wired incorrectly.

1) Do you really think that the CEO of RealD would admit to any wrong-doing during the event?

2) Certainly a hardware switch and coax cable connections will not be password protected. Perhaps every installation is not "locked down" so completely.

3) Huh?

4) Yup. So? You are drawing conclusions from well-intentioned, but questionable data.

People very familiar with 3-D setups in theatres have commented in excruciating detail on other forums about what may have happened. (GXM) Listen to them! Obviously the system is not as secure or idiot-proof as it could be. (If the feed was screwed up on the origination side -- and they couldn't tell -- that's probably a good thing.) I've also seen "technicians" go into a theatre and "fix" one thing while breaking several other things.

I know from personal experience that having multiple teams working on different parts of the same system in 100 or so theatres can often result in chaos. Turning over operation of these systems to "candy sellers" (in some cases) does not help reliability or improve responsiveness to problems.

By the way, what was wrong with the sound in Vegas? Was it completely gone or screwed up some other way?

In God we trust. Everything else, we check. (and re-check)
post #52 of 52 Old 01-14-2009, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hphase View Post

1) Do you really think that the CEO of RealD would admit to any wrong-doing during the event?

2) Certainly a hardware switch and coax cable connections will not be password protected. Perhaps every installation is not "locked down" so completely.

3) Huh?

4) Yup. So? You are drawing conclusions from well-intentioned, but questionable data.

People very familiar with 3-D setups in theatres have commented in excruciating detail on other forums about what may have happened. (GXM) Listen to them! Obviously the system is not as secure or idiot-proof as it could be. (If the feed was screwed up on the origination side -- and they couldn't tell -- that's probably a good thing.) I've also seen "technicians" go into a theatre and "fix" one thing while breaking several other things.

I know from personal experience that having multiple teams working on different parts of the same system in 100 or so theatres can often result in chaos. Turning over operation of these systems to "candy sellers" (in some cases) does not help reliability or improve responsiveness to problems.

By the way, what was wrong with the sound in Vegas? Was it completely gone or screwed up some other way?

In God we trust. Everything else, we check. (and re-check)

re-read the thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page