"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 462 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5523Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #13831 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,063
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 6304
There was some good stuff, especially with Negan, but kind of a stinker overall. They went back to doing stupid stuff and making stupid decisions. I mean even with the fire out you're still inside, and with the blankets they had, they'd be fine. No need for the blizzard rope. Frozen stiff walkers, unless they weren't frozen stiff.

Whatever, the quality of the show has gone up so dramatically over the last season. A misfire here and there is forgivable. Speaking of forgivable...

Spoiler!
Don S likes this.
Tack is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13832 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
dbone1026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 11,822
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
They pulled a “GoT” where the penultimate episode was the “big one” and the finale is more of a bridge to the next season (IMO). Hopefully they can keep quality up next season, but knowing TWD things will go back and forth.
Very true. Still seemed odd how defeated they were, not even an inking of vengeance. Also, I am guessing that scene at the end with Alpha was at a completely different time seeing as how there was no snow to be seen lol.

Cheers
dbone1026 is offline  
post #13833 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 4,928
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked: 2947
As someone who lives in Northern Canada, that was hard to watch. lol

Overall it was the best season since 5 for me, but still not great.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
cardoski is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #13834 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Don S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Bayville, NJ
Posts: 1,427
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
There was some good stuff, especially with Negan, but kind of a stinker overall. They went back to doing stupid stuff and making stupid decisions. I mean even with the fire out you're still inside, and with the blankets they had, they'd be fine. No need for the blizzard rope. Frozen stiff walkers, unless they weren't frozen stiff.



Whatever, the quality of the show has gone up so dramatically over the last season. A misfire here and there is forgivable. Speaking of forgivable...



Spoiler!


Agreed. I liked the Neegan stuff as well. While I feel like I would like him more as a "good guy", it’s hard to imagine a believable plot where they all just forgive his heinous terror reign and murders and tortures. That doesn’t mean they won’t write the plot in a way that they all mostly "forget", but I would find it hard to stomach...
Don S is online now  
post #13835 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,337
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6529 Post(s)
Liked: 6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbone1026 View Post
Very true. Still seemed odd how defeated they were, not even an inking of vengeance. Also, I am guessing that scene at the end with Alpha was at a completely different time seeing as how there was no snow to be seen lol.


I think vengeance is there, but winter survival is more important (in the moment). It could be that Alphas group traveled south for the winter since they never really had shelter (that we saw). I also thought of a time jump since they talked about “time away”. No need to go through tough slow winter months when the walkers are so seats to kill.
Ph8te is online now  
post #13836 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,218
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
I will not post the whole article here for those that have not seen it.


The Walking Dead showrunner answers season finale burning questions


https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/31/walking...gela-kang-916/
aaronwt likes this.

WilliamR is offline  
post #13837 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,218
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
I will not post the whole article for this that have not see the episode yet.


Showrunners answers questions about the season final episode.


https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/31/walking...gela-kang-916/

WilliamR is offline  
post #13838 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Ph8te's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 19,337
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6529 Post(s)
Liked: 6257
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I will not post the whole article for this that have not see the episode yet.


Showrunners answers questions about the season final episode.


https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/31/walking...gela-kang-916/


There is mention of a location from the comics as well in there, so those who want to avoid all comic knowledge may want to avoid it.
Ph8te is online now  
post #13839 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
drewTT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Posts: 4,641
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2100 Post(s)
Liked: 2247
That fake snow though...

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
drewTT is offline  
post #13840 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rr6966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I didn't get the leaving shelter and traveling in the storm. Then getting to Neagan's old outpost and leaving there as well, and without the Horses, not like Horses are all over the place, and worst case scenario they can be used as food.
gibson61 likes this.
rr6966 is offline  
post #13841 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 12:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 25,077
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr6966 View Post
I didn't get the leaving shelter and traveling in the storm. Then getting to Neagan's old outpost and leaving there as well, and without the Horses, not like Horses are all over the place, and worst case scenario they can be used as food.
I questioned this as well. If their concern was not having enough food at the Sanctuary, why abandon the horses and trek out into the dangerous storm when they could slaughter the horses and have enough food to outlast it?

Is it really more humane to the horses to leave them to starve to death?

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Josh Z is online now  
post #13842 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 4,928
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked: 2947
Where are they, the arctic circle lol. None of it made any sense just manufactured drama, however, I do like that Negan is coming off the bench. He seems to have dropped his lame talking shtick, I think he can help this show along.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
cardoski is online now  
post #13843 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rr6966's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 1,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 79
I also didn't get the walkers coming up from the ground....snow....???? Yet we see frozen walkers every where. I think this was just a new way to show walkers in the snow.
rr6966 is offline  
post #13844 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Josh Z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Planet Boston, source of the spice, Melange.
Posts: 25,077
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4310 Post(s)
Liked: 3289
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Where are they, the arctic circle lol.
Yeah, how harsh are the winters in Virginia, anyway? I always had the impression it was the kind of place where everybody freaks out when the temperature dips below 60 degrees.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Josh Z is online now  
post #13845 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 3,852
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 1353
The most ridiculous thing for me was during the snowing march Daryl and company fired two arrows at walkers emerging from the forest. Then they walk toward the dead walkers the retrieve their arrows. Why then did they not rejoin their group. My guess is that it is stipulated they have to do something stupid every episode, so they went on to explore the forest and be separated from the main group.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #13846 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 03:50 PM
UHD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 35,976
Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9327 Post(s)
Liked: 6008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Yeah, how harsh are the winters in Virginia, anyway? I always had the impression it was the kind of place where everybody freaks out when the temperature dips below 60 degrees.
Well we have certain!y had snow storms that dump 24 to 30 inches. Although rare. And temperatures in the single digits. You combine those two and they would be in severe trouble on TWD. Heck I remember in 1995/1996 being stuck at my GFs house for a week here in the DC area. We had around thirty inches of snow and the plows didn't even show up until five days after the snow ended. Not to mention the eight foot snow drifts and single digit temps at night. The area was completely paralized for a week.

If TWD had conditions like that, with the extreme cold that accompanied it, those people would easily have died if they stayed at the Sanctuary.

The problem is there is no way for them to actually show a snowstorm like that on the TV show. What they described on the show sounded like what it would have looked like back in 1995/1996. But visually it just couldn't match the conditions they were describing. Since it was fake snow and they have a TV budget.

Sent from my Nexus 7(16GB)

53TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 04-01-2019 at 03:54 PM.
aaronwt is offline  
post #13847 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 05:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Dayton
Posts: 3,325
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 273
No speculation about the voice on the radio ? I told my wife it was Maggie. She wasn't in complete agreement though....
hall is offline  
post #13848 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 05:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ken.F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: West Rockhill, PA
Posts: 5,516
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2292 Post(s)
Liked: 2571
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
No speculation about the voice on the radio ? I told my wife it was Maggie. She wasn't in complete agreement though....
I don't think it was Maggie. She would have known her friends were in the area so she would have identified herself.
Ken.F is offline  
post #13849 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bobby94928's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 5,641
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
No speculation about the voice on the radio ? I told my wife it was Maggie. She wasn't in complete agreement though....
I think it’s Morgan...

Bobby 

bobby94928 is online now  
post #13850 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,063
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 6304
Gotta be The Rick. Sounded a little like Mags though.
Tack is online now  
post #13851 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 06:07 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Tack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Valencia, Ca
Posts: 11,063
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4723 Post(s)
Liked: 6304
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Well we have certain!y had snow storms that dump 24 to 30 inches. Although rare. And temperatures in the single digits. You combine those two and they would be in severe trouble on TWD. Heck I remember in 1995/1996 being stuck at my GFs house for a week here in the DC area. We had around thirty inches of snow and the plows didn't even show up until five days after the snow ended. Not to mention the eight foot snow drifts and single digit temps at night. The area was completely paralized for a week.

If TWD had conditions like that, with the extreme cold that accompanied it, those people would easily have died if they stayed at the Sanctuary.

The problem is there is no way for them to actually show a snowstorm like that on the TV show. What they described on the show sounded like what it would have looked like back in 1995/1996. But visually it just couldn't match the conditions they were describing. Since it was fake snow and they have a TV budget.
Sheesh, stop crying. It was 46F in SoCal this morning when I left for work. I had to decide whether to wear a sweater or not. It was horrible. I couldn't even run the AC in the car.



Tack is online now  
post #13852 of 14107 Old 04-01-2019, 07:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
cardoski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Beyond The Wall.
Posts: 4,928
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2600 Post(s)
Liked: 2947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Sheesh, stop crying. It was 46F in SoCal this morning when I left for work. I had to decide whether to wear a sweater or not. It was horrible. I couldn't even run the AC in the car.



I still have 2ft of snow in my backyard, -40 is a regular occurrence in the winter.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
cardoski is online now  
post #13853 of 14107 Old 04-02-2019, 03:37 AM
Member
 
Juboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I really enjoyed the look of the snow in TWD universe. The frozen zombies were a nice touch and Negan's character development is interesting, but as a finale - damn, that was very, very pedestrian.
Don S likes this.
Juboy is offline  
post #13854 of 14107 Old 04-02-2019, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,218
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
Why did they leave the Kingdom? I don't get it. They said the pipes broke down and stopped working. So what. No other community has steam pipes and get by without them. Stop using them if they are broke. They showed a shot as it pulled back of roofs damaged, etc. Do they not know how to nail in boards and repair things? Cut some trees down, do some hard labor and fix things, hell build some new shelters too. Seems really odd they abandoned it for lame reasons. Everywhere else is going to be the same and need the same amount of attention/care.

WilliamR is offline  
post #13855 of 14107 Old 04-02-2019, 04:27 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
WilliamR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 12,218
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1925 Post(s)
Liked: 2381
The Walking Dead director reveals finale Easter eggs and homages


https://ew.com/tv/2019/03/31/walking...-nicotero-916/

WilliamR is offline  
post #13856 of 14107 Old 04-02-2019, 05:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 167
I also agree I was expecting more. I guess after the killings of many of them ' that was enough. But the snow and Negan made it a decent episode. I thought they had to leave the Kingdom since it was on the wrong side of the river that the Whispers now control. Voice on radio' I have no clue. But I do know that this upcoming FTWD in June is suppose to have some big news on both shows.
gibson61 is offline  
post #13857 of 14107 Old 04-02-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jonas2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: South Bay Area
Posts: 5,699
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2835 Post(s)
Liked: 1806
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juboy View Post
I really enjoyed the look of the snow in TWD universe. The frozen zombies were a nice touch and Negan's character development is interesting,
I thought so too, but I thought it was a little unrealistic that a few of them had their heads shattered the way they did. I don't think they were frozen in liquid nitrogen! But there I go, expecting realism from a zombie show.....

Yeah, some of the folks do seem in ways to be warming up to Negan a bit.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
Jonas2 is offline  
post #13858 of 14107 Old 04-02-2019, 07:07 AM
Member
 
Juboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Yeah, some of the folks do seem in ways to be warming up to Negan a bit.....

I think they realise what he seemed to have realised: he *could* still be a leader as part of the new order if he plays his cards right. He knows he can't be the person he was anymore. I also think he genuinely does care about Judith in the same way he clearly cared about Carl.
Jonas2 likes this.
Juboy is offline  
post #13859 of 14107 Old 04-02-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 15,409
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2976 Post(s)
Liked: 3882
I'd give the Season itself a B+, especially the second half .. AMC is trying hard ..

Finale .. ?? IMO, it was a thumbs down .. At the end, all I could think was, "That's it .. ??" ..

Negan and his Salvation a la Judith is touching, yet, this is the same guy that wielded Lucille .. if Maggie was around, he still might be dead ..

Kudos to a much improved overall Season .. now, we'll see how FTWD pans out ..
aaronwt likes this.

Uncle Willie


Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
mgkdragn is offline  
post #13860 of 14107 Old 04-02-2019, 07:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 25,479
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6166 Post(s)
Liked: 6821
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Why did they leave the Kingdom? I don't get it. They said the pipes broke down and stopped working. So what. No other community has steam pipes and get by without them. Stop using them if they are broke. They showed a shot as it pulled back of roofs damaged, etc. Do they not know how to nail in boards and repair things? Cut some trees down, do some hard labor and fix things, hell build some new shelters too. Seems really odd they abandoned it for lame reasons. Everywhere else is going to be the same and need the same amount of attention/care.
Yeah, broken steam pipes seemed to be a pretty lame excuse. They also mentioned "fires", and as they pulled away, the long shot showed nearly every building there had severe fire damage, burned out/caved it in roofs, etc.

WTF?? How the heck did that happen? Was there a pyromaniac on the loose? Are they just hopelessly careless with candles? And every one of those older buildings probably had fireplaces, which would have kept them all warm & safe, just as they did in the thousands of years before central heating systems. Creosote build-up in chimneys would not have set them all on fire (and was unrealistically depicted in Eugene's group's case). They owed us an reasonable explanation for all that.
slowbiscuit and WilliamR like this.
archiguy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off