"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 465 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5507Likes

post #13921 of 14079 Old 04-14-2019, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 658
^^
Watched many series over many years on BBC America, including Killing Eve, Orphan Black, Broadchurch, Intruders, many others I can't even recall now. At no time do I remember BBC-A having ~3 mins of commercials every ~5+ min like AMC does with Walking Dead and others. SyFy is getting bad about that too. That plus signal compression so skips are hard to do (done on purpose?) makes it a chore to watch. And the compression makes it easier to skip the content itself (on purpose?) so you almost are forced to watch some commercials. I know it's a business but I remember when multi-minute commercial breaks were every ~15 min not every 5-7!

IF the network used BBC America for Walking Dead, I'd gladly watch it there but they'd probably screw that up to fit the same commercials in.

OK - my rant is over

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 04-14-2019 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13922 of 14079 Old 04-15-2019, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4229 Post(s)
Liked: 3261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
I'm ticked off. Watched the finale and realized that somehow we lost the last x number of minutes in ep 15 where all the action took place! Had to read wiki to find out what happened. The last scene we saw before ad nauseum commercial breaks was Alpha sitting next to Lydia in the movie. That's it and then the end after commercials.

Could all that action have taken place in the several minutes before the end? Either Comcast screwed up on the timing or I accidentally skipped past it.
You missed about half an hour. It was AMC's screw-up. They provided incorrect timing info to most of the cable outlets. Walking Dead ran 1.5 hours that night followed by an hour of Into the Badlands, but the AMC listings said the opposite.

There was a big stink when this happened. Chris Hardwick opened the Talking Dead episode advising DVR viewers to record a later airing.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #13923 of 14079 Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You missed about half an hour. It was AMC's screw-up. They provided incorrect timing info to most of the cable outlets. Walking Dead ran 1.5 hours that night followed by an hour of Into the Badlands, but the AMC listings said the opposite.

There was a big stink when this happened. Chris Hardwick opened the Talking Dead episode advising DVR viewers to record a later airing.
So AMC screws up with the most critical part of the 2 pivotal episodes of the season on their most successful show Too bad they didn't do this during the fair scenes

Josh, thank you for confirming what happened because there was a few minutes of commercials before "the end". Reading the WD wiki, it was hard to believe the show fit all that action in a couple minutes. At least I didn't screw up skipping the commercials!

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 04-15-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13924 of 14079 Old 04-15-2019, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss9001 View Post
So AMC screws up with the most critical part of the 2 pivotal episodes of the season on their most successful show Too bad they didn't do this during the fair scenes

Josh, thank you for confirming what happened because there was a few minutes of commercials before "the end". Reading the WD wiki, it was hard to believe the show fit all that action in a couple minutes. At least I didn't screw up skipping the commercials!
My Comcast DVR was fubared by the error so I went to "On Demand" to see the end of the episode.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #13925 of 14079 Old 05-13-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Wonder if Lauren Cohen won't be as "firm" in her stance with TWD bosses for more exposure, higher pay, and so on now ?
Legairre, aaronwt and gibson61 like this.
post #13926 of 14079 Old 05-13-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked: 944
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
Wonder if Lauren Cohen won't be as "firm" in her stance with TWD bosses for more exposure, higher pay, and so on now ?
What happened, her ABC show canceled?
post #13927 of 14079 Old 05-13-2019, 09:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
What happened, her ABC show canceled?
Yeap. I always said that getting a new show/series doesn't mean much with network TV today. Seems as though the networks have exceedingly high expectations for new shows. I wasn't wishing for it to be cancelled but many felt she could give TWD 'management' the middle finger when she signed on to that new show. I felt it would be best to keep her options open....
aaronwt likes this.
post #13928 of 14079 Old 05-13-2019, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 4229 Post(s)
Liked: 3261
Quote:
Yeap. I always said that getting a new show/series doesn't mean much with network TV today. Seems as though the networks have exceedingly high expectations for new shows. I wasn't wishing for it to be cancelled but many felt she could give TWD 'management' the middle finger when she signed on to that new show. I felt it would be best to keep her options open....
I don't think she'll have any problem getting more work. I expect to see her join the cast of some CBS procedural that runs for 15 years.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #13929 of 14079 Old 05-13-2019, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Wow, cancelled??? That sure didn't last very long. Was it that bad?

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #13930 of 14079 Old 05-13-2019, 02:51 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2963 Post(s)
Liked: 3868
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
Wow, cancelled??? That sure didn't last very long. Was it that bad?
I liked it alright .. personally, I think the title "Whiskey Cavalier" was a bad choice in names .. the show itself exhibits high production values, a great cast, globe trotting adventures .. just pretty much bombed, ratings wise ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #13931 of 14079 Old 05-13-2019, 05:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4688 Post(s)
Liked: 4218
Quote:
she never burnt any bridges with WD...she agreed to appear in 5 or so episodes last season and also kept the door open for future appearances...nothing wrong with trying something different...her contract ended and she was free to explore other opportunities...she wanted more $$ from WD which is reasonable as she is one of the major characters...even if she returns she won't come back if they try and lowball her
aaronwt and CruelInventions like this.
post #13932 of 14079 Old 05-13-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1230 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I don't think she'll have any problem getting more work. I expect to see her join the cast of some CBS procedural that runs for 15 years.
Why start from scratch with one of those when she's already halfway through a 15-year run of a zombie-procedural.
JoeTiVo, aaronwt and Tack like this.
post #13933 of 14079 Old 05-15-2019, 04:58 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1920 Post(s)
Liked: 2370
Official VR game announcement:

post #13934 of 14079 Old 05-21-2019, 05:45 AM

‘Walking Dead’ Lawsuit: AMC Accuses CAA Of Ripping Off Frank Darabont In Hefty Packaging Deal

One $300 million legal dust-up between AMC and former The Walking Dead showrunner Frank Darabont and his representatives at CAA is heading to trial next year. But another lawsuit in the profit-participation dispute looks to be barreling towards a Hollywood labor minefield.

“The dirty secret in Hollywood is that talent agents often sell their clients down the river in exchange for bigger packaging fees for themselves,” AMC’s primary lawyer Orin Snyder wrote in a note to New York Supreme Court Justice Joel Cohen on Monday, part of direct accusations that heavyweight lawyer Dale Kinsella has tried to shut down discussion or connection to the recent battle between the WGA and Association of Talent Agents over the lucrative packaging practice.

And then there is the very timely kicker.

“That is the subject of a pending lawsuit by the Writers Guild of America, of which Darabont is a member, against CAA and other talent agencies,” reads the short correspondence filed this morning (read it here). “Defendants have reason to believe that Plaintiffs’ claims may be based on Darabont’s misunderstanding of the rights his representatives seemed for him a misunderstanding created and/or advanced by CAA to hide their conflict of interest.”

“That is what happened here, and Kinsella wants to shut down this inquiry,” the Gibson Dunn attorney says, body-slamming the Kinsella Weitzman Iser Kump & Aldisert partner with accusations of “outrageous” behavior and “misconduct” during a recent deposition involving The Shawshank Redemption director and two others.

Letting those scorching claims of underhanded moves by both CAA against their own co-plaintiff, and Kinsella hang there, the letter from Snyder additionally requests the New York Supreme Court justice set a conference hearing ASAP to “address improper and obstructive deposition conduct” by the plaintiffs’ lawyer in a trio of sit-downs.

Unsurprisingly, Kinsella wasted little time responding this morning.

“AMC’s transparent effort to mask their own outrageous and harassing deposition conduct by filing an at best misleading letter directly with the court is yet another publicity stunt,” he said Monday, promising a filing of his own shortly. “Suffice it to say that AMC’s lead counsel, Orin Snyder, will have more than enough explaining to do when this matter is fully argued before the court.”

Honestly, if you’ve been following Darabont and CAA’s original case from 2013 and the second $10 million one they put before the court in January 2018, such salvos between the lawyers seem like old hat at this point. What is a bit jaw dropping today is that AMC have now employed the tactic to push a wedge between plaintiffs Darabont and CAA over the hot-button topic of packaging, and nail the latter to the cross of displaying similar sticky contractual fingers AMC itself has been accused of having.

Fighting various TWD profits suits on various fronts, including one from creator Robert Kirkman and other executive producers, AMC now notes the WGA lawsuit of last month against the Big 4 agencies, and that the the deal between Darabont and CAA was cited as an example of the egregious self-interest aspect of packaging.

The quarrel over packaging has seen several thousand members of the WGA fired their agents at CAA, WME, ICM Partners and UTA since talks broke down between the ATA and the guild on April 12.

Unlike the near constant back and forth in the TWD cases, there has been no response by the Big 4 agencies to the WGA suit, yet.

No word when or if the conference that AMC want will happen – or what’s next in these cases.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/walking...nt-1202618820/

post #13935 of 14079 Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM

For those that read the comics you really should pick up the latest copy. MAJOR change in the comics, didn't think it would ever happen but there you go.

post #13936 of 14079 Old 06-05-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
For those that read the comics you really should pick up the latest copy. MAJOR change in the comics, didn't think it would ever happen but there you go.
I'd snag it now since it seems prices are trending up .. although, a 2nd printing has been announced ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #13937 of 14079 Old 06-05-2019, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6144 Post(s)
Liked: 6798
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
What is the month/date on that issue?
post #13938 of 14079 Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
What is the month/date on that issue?
#192 .. came out today
archiguy likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #13939 of 14079 Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just Googled the spoiler.

Yawn ...

Nothing which hasn’t happened on the show before. Kirkman will never stop milking the franchise.
post #13940 of 14079 Old 06-06-2019, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4705 Post(s)
Liked: 6287
Quote:
Just Googled the spoiler.

Yawn ...

Nothing which hasn’t happened on the show before. Kirkman will never stop milking the franchise.

Bummer. I was hoping cure/virus research, which could filter down to the show. Loosen the reins already Kirkman, you've made your point.
archiguy and CruelInventions like this.
post #13941 of 14079 Old 06-07-2019, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Bummer. I was hoping cure/virus research, which could filter down to the show. Loosen the reins already Kirkman, you've made your point.
Aww crap. I was actually going to buy the comic if that's where it was finally going. First one in about, oh I dunno, 50 years or so*.

* I did actually buy the large format Watchmen hardcover a few years back (have the "Ultimate BD" of the movie too). Totally worth it.
post #13942 of 14079 Old 06-07-2019, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4705 Post(s)
Liked: 6287
Quote:
Aww crap. I was actually going to buy the comic if that's where it was finally going. First one in about, oh I dunno, 50 years or so*.

* I did actually buy the large format Watchmen hardcover a few years back (have the "Ultimate BD" of the movie too). Totally worth it.
Well I don't "know" that to be the case, just gong by WCO's reaction. I'd like to check out that hardcover, sounds interesting. I haven't bought any comic books since my Sgt. Rock days when I was a little kid.
post #13943 of 14079 Old 06-07-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Well I don't "know" that to be the case, just gong by WCO's reaction. I'd like to check out that hardcover, sounds interesting. I haven't bought any comic books since my Sgt. Rock days when I was a little kid.

Read an article and the spoiler was pretty simple, nothing indicating some big change in plot.
post #13944 of 14079 Old 06-07-2019, 08:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4688 Post(s)
Liked: 4218
was Kirkman's latest comic book twist influenced by the TV show?...maybe...probably...will it have the same sort of impact since it already happened on the TV show?...no, the TV version ruined it...at least Kirkman had the good sense to make the death final and not some silly fake out death like the TV version...
post #13945 of 14079 Old 06-07-2019, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I didn't see this season so I don't know exactly how it happened on the show.

But doesn't seem to be that big a deal on the show, which is continuing on.

So how could it be that big a deal in the comics?

Which is also going to continue on, indefinitely, just meandering over the same or similar themes, over and over again.
post #13946 of 14079 Old 06-15-2019, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 834 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Specifically in the issue... Kirkman talks about how the comic death had been planned for years... so I'd say that actually might have influenced the TV show... as in, they knew the character was about to go from the comics anyway and they aren't *that* far behind the comic storyline... so it wasn't worth trying to bribe Lincoln with more money to stay for just a little longer anyway. I would expect the TV movies upcoming with Lincoln will ultimately lead to the comic story by the end of it and then that will be that.

Meanwhile... There are STILL people wanting/expecting Kirkman to bring a zombie cure to the story? Why? That is not the plot of the show. It never will be. There's no point in it anyway. There really is nothing to cure. Living people are fine... over time you learn to dispose of the dead as it happens and eventually you thin out those large herds to the point where they aren't a big deal. There's pretty much no incentive to work on a cure for this if you're a character in this world. All the dead are incurable, they will have to be dealt with as they are... and all the living aren't a problem until they die. Easy peasy.
post #13947 of 14079 Old 06-15-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Because going around in circles is mind numbing.
post #13948 of 14079 Old 06-16-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Because going around in circles is mind numbing.
This. And looking for a cure would at least give them a goal, something to strive for besides battling yet another group of sub-human monsters who happen to still be living. The show as it is currently constructed is boring viewers to.... death. And the falling ratings are an indicator. Yes, yes, I know it's "still the highest rated cablenet drama". But it badly needs an infusion of something to live for.
post #13949 of 14079 Old 06-16-2019, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
This. And looking for a cure would at least give them a goal, something to strive for besides battling yet another group of sub-human monsters who happen to still be living. The show as it is currently constructed is boring viewers to.... death. And the falling ratings are an indicator. Yes, yes, I know it's "still the highest rated cablenet drama". But it badly needs an infusion of something to live for.
But I find that equivalent to asking them to find a cure for cancer. It may be within the domain of these helicopter people, but it's not a goal or current crew can ever hope to fiddle with.

Unless the cure that stops them from turning into walkers also deactivates the current walking dead, they will still have the same daily struggles for survival.
post #13950 of 14079 Old 06-16-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
But I find that equivalent to asking them to find a cure for cancer. It may be within the domain of these helicopter people, but it's not a goal or current crew can ever hope to fiddle with.

Unless the cure that stops them from turning into walkers also deactivates the current walking dead, they will still have the same daily struggles for survival.
Not really. Then, it's just a matter of attrition. If no new walkers are going to be "born", then it's only a matter of time until they're all killed off and become extinct. They're not terribly good at defending themselves, after all.

That's how I would end the show. Mankind finally extinguishes this horrible threat to its very survival and embarks on a new, more hopeful chapter of history.

And I'd do it next year. It's time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page