"The Walking Dead" on AMC HD - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5610Likes

post #121 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 11:14 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9663 Post(s)
Liked: 6351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

You are not alone. I really hate animals being hurt in TV or movies -- especially domestic animals, especially pets, even if it's offscreen. I had to start having someone pre-screen "House" for me after they killed a dog, showed a dead cat and did a cat AUTOPSY that almost required me to take a valium afterward.

I am pretty much resigned to whenever there's a cute animal onscreen, they are probably going to die, especially in a show like TWD. That doesn't mean I didn't watch the scene with the horse through my fingers, though.

(BTW, TV producers know perfectly well how the public feels about harm to cute animals. Three years after Prison Break, a show with a staggeringly high body count started, they were still getting letters about the cat from season 1.)

whitearrow, your resident wuss when it comes to animals

What are your reactions to people getting killed on screen.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

What are your reactions to people getting killed on screen.

Depends on the context and graphic-ness. "Cartoon" type live-action violence doesn't upset me, but a graphic murder in an R-rated movie will. But there isn't any context in which I tolerate seeing animals harmed particularly well. It bothers me more in a movie theater, where you tend to be more immersed in the experience. It just makes me want to go home and hug my pets.

(I totally admit that it's not something I'm rational about.)
post #123 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 533
During the scene when Rick walks out of the hospital for the first time and views all of the bodies on the ground, I remarked to my wife how this could be quite tough for any of the survivors or families of survivors from the Haiti earthquakes, if they were watching. The scenes were pretty much the same with the bodies lain besides the roads in piles, as per news reports and videos.
It makes you wonder sometimes if it's the writer/director's intent (in a fictional setting) to draw attention to past or present happenings in the real world that could be relevant to the story. Rick had no idea that there were "walkers" until he met Morgan, so who knows what went through his mind at the sight of all of those bodies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post

During the scene when Rick walks out of the hospital for the first time and views all of the bodies on the ground, I remarked to my wife how this could be quite tough for any of the survivors or families of survivors from the Haiti earthquakes, if they were watching.

Everything on television has the potential to do that.

If I were traumatized from the Haiti earthquake disaster I don't think my choice of viewing would be a show about the living dead to begin with.

post #125 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitearrow View Post

When I saw 28 Days Later, the first thing it reminded me of was Stu finding out he was alone in the hospital in The Stand...

Its also been done in many other things. Day of the Triffids had the whole wake up in a hospital and everything is crazy.

There's an episode of South Park where one of the kids is trying to find something that the Simpsons hasn't done, and the conclusion is basically that everything has been done before (The Simpsons having taken a lot from Outer Limits and older shows/movies) so stop worrying so much about things copying.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #126 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

Everything on television has the potential to do that. If I were traumatized from the Haiti earthquake disaster I don't think my choice of viewing would be a show about the living dead to begin with.

Y'know, you can go all the way back to GONE WITH THE WIND for this tableau.
post #127 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Very good first episode. Some of the best sound on a TV program that I have heard. Check the shoot-out 12 minutes in, excellent, the car alarm going off in the house early on and of course the tank scene. Great to see Lennie James again, it has some characteristics of Jericho, hope we see him again. Sarah Tancretti, another shout out to Prison. Not being a comic book fan I kept thinking of Will Smith's I am Legend, duritng the scene in Atlanta when the Zombies we're huddled together. BTW, our hero passed up a fully loaded 50 cal on his way to the tank. Gonna keep watching....
post #128 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 PM

Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post

BTW, our hero passed up a fully loaded 50 cal on his way to the tank. Gonna keep watching....

It be just about worthless after a few minutes. His best bet was to do what he did, flee.

Remember the battle of Yonkers!
post #129 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Here's a nitpick for you (though I loved the show). Wouldn't there have been cars trying to leave Atlanta on BOTH sides of the freeway? Evacuations regularly reverse the flow of lanes, and if it was an unofficial evacuation would you really pass up the other side of the highway that apparently has no oncoming traffic?
post #130 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Here's a nitpick for you (though I loved the show). Wouldn't there have been cars trying to leave Atlanta on BOTH sides of the freeway? Evacuations regularly reverse the flow of lanes, and if it was an unofficial evacuation would you really pass up the other side of the highway that apparently has no oncoming traffic?

You're overestimating the intelligence of Atlanta residents and government.

On that note, they may not have been evacuating, traffic like that is pretty common in Atlanta, even when there isn't a Zombie apocalypse.

Xbox Live: IamVertigo
PSN: IamVertigo
post #131 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Would Atlanta even have an evacuation procedure? Too far south for blizzard issues. Too far inland for hurricanes. No nearby rivers, so no flood dangers either.

I suppose they could've instituted one in the moment, but who knows how quickly this all went down. Based on the heavy zombie population in Atlanta city, and the fact that all those empty cars are there (and so many cars had bodies in them), I don't think this was a very orderly evacuation.
post #132 of 14209 Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 90
A great show so far discounting some unbelievable parts and skipped steps. I'm going to really sink my teeth into it :P

Arvy
post #133 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2080 Post(s)
Liked: 2685
Quote:

They also said that Atlanta was broadcasting for people to come to Atlanta as it was safe. I was surprised at that scene because I expected the traffic to be exact opposite, a traffic jam going into the city.

post #134 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post

You're overestimating the intelligence of Atlanta residents and government.

On that note, they may not have been evacuating, traffic like that is pretty common in Atlanta, even when there isn't a Zombie apocalypse.

LOL, at least we have a real football team this year, unlike Charlotte.

post #135 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Just got around to watching it this morning.

Slow going until Lennie James shows up. Of course, everything gets better with Lennie James. Then again, has Lennie James been typecast into being the last adult black male alive (see Jericho)?

I loved the final five minutes. That last bit with the guy on the radio calling our hero a dumbass was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

I enjoyed the pilot and will watch more, but the end scene with the horse dismemberment was disturbing to me. I dont care if they show a human being torn apart as this is expected, but not animals-go figure.

I suspect that was a very conscious choice by the writers and producers. It was their way of getting past the basic disconnect we have from seeing human killed in zombie stories and getting down the horror of watching these zombies destroy something beautiful.

The horse was set up well, too. They take enough time to characterize the horse's relationship with the Deputy. They set up a series of great shots where the horse exists to mock the rapid breakdown of motorized society. So, you're thinking, "Hey, I like this horse. I can't wait to hear what his backstory is." And then -- BAM -- oh, **** zombies run run more zombies oh **** ah . . . dead horse . . . delicious horse . . . crap, now I'm hiding in a tank.

It was a good way to cut down to awfulness of the main character's predicament. And then, just as that sets in, we hear the radio. Queue next episode.
post #136 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM

Liked: 10
I was VERY impressed with the premiere.

This is a subject/genre that I never would have expected to be brought to television.

Hats off to AMC for having the guts to give it a go. Many years ago I used to think of AMC as being TMC's "poor cousion". I couldn't stand the commercial break format chopping up movies and it seemed that most cable/satellite providers allotted such crappy bandwidth to AMC that I used to consider the pic quality as almost being unwatchable.

But wow, AMC has really come into its own with its original programming lineup!!

I have to admit I was a little caught off guard by the OPENING SCENE!

I for the life of me cannot ever think of any other TV program that depicted a graphic, execution style head shot to a small child. Sure, she was "dead", but geez... a little girl in bunny slippers carrying her "teddy"!! Wow!

I was expecting this to be "Zombie-Lite"... You know, watered down for TV. I am glad to see they are NOT going to pull any punches.

Overheard at a Best Buy....

"So these in the red boxes work with red lasers and the one's in the blue boxes work with blue lasers.... Oh that makes sense. Now I understand"
post #137 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

LOL, at least we have a real football team this year, unlike Charlotte.

You don't have to duck... you're absolutely correct. Mr. Richardson has fielded an entire team of "Walking Dead" this year.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9
post #138 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 11:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

It be just about worthless after a few minutes. His best bet was to do what he did, flee.

Remember the battle of Yonkers!

LOL. World War Z

RS600, 133" 2.8 HP Screen, Panasonic UB-900
Marantz, 7702MKII, Emotiva XPA-1, XPA-2, XPA-100's
7.2.4 with 4pi JBL LCR's, Athena 100 surrounds and 4x Volt 10lx ceiling speakers.
4x FI 18" IB subwoofage with Behringer EP400 amp
Fabric walls, fabric posters, fabric under soffets. No reflections!!
post #139 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I've still got this DVR'd, but figured I'd ask before I go back and watch this. Where is the town that Rick is a cop in? I'm curious because he decides to drive down to Atlanta on I-85, (and I'm from Greenville, SC) so we can deduce that he's at least south of Charlotte, but what kinda gas mileage is he getting that he can't make it from South Carolina (hypothetically) to Atlanta?

Also, I've only been to Atlanta twice, but there was quite a bit of city before you get to the part on I-85 that is shown (the scene depicting downtown Atlanta in the background). Seems kinda strange that the only survivors would be near Georgia Tech University, lol.
post #140 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgator25 View Post

I've still got this DVR'd, but figured I'd ask before I go back and watch this. Where is the town that Rick is a cop in? I'm curious because he decides to drive down to Atlanta on I-85, (and I'm from Greenville, SC) so we can deduce that he's at least south of Charlotte, but what kinda gas mileage is he getting that he can't make it from South Carolina (hypothetically) to Atlanta?

Why does he have to be at least south of Charlotte?

Couldn't he be from Virginia?

I haven't read the comics, so I don't know where he came from.
post #141 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post

One of the roads in the early scenes (either with the young zombie or the shootout) showed a road with "Palmetto" in the name... which I associated with South Carolina, but that's not hard proof. We also don't know that he started with a full tank in the first place, though you would think that he would have scrounged up every drop he could before leaving on a trip like that.

Speaking of "leaving like that"... I found it hard to believe that Grimes separated from Morgan and son so quickly when he headed for ATL. I think that Morgan probably wanted to stay to use the gun to put his wife out of her misery (which he could not make himeself do, at least not yet) - he certainly didn't look like he needed much practice to use the gun. However, I thought Grimes should have insisted - or at least tried to persuade them - to all go together... safety in numbers, extra set of eyes, help in case of injury, sentry shifts for sleeping, etc, etc.

Commercial AV Design Engineer, CTS-D Certified
Spectrum/TWC-Charlotte, 8742HDC/ODN 9
post #142 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Well, no disrespect to Atlanta, but Charlotte is quite the metropolitan now as well. I can't see bypassing Charlotte to go to Atlanta for safety. Now Greenville/Spartanburg on the other hand, we are small timers compared to the two.

P.S. This is my problem with any type of good series, it gives you too much time in between episodes to generate fault with time and/or story lines.
post #143 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Not really spoilers:

Comic says they're from Kentucky. No clue if they're trying to keep with that for the show or not. The main reason he thought they went to Atlanta was that Lori's parents lived there.

While I have the comic out, I realized that episode one is roughly about 1/3rd of vol. 1 in the trade paperback, lol.

Xbox Gamertag: matteoms

Official Member of the Joy Puke Your Face Off Club.
post #144 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 04:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 13
LOVED the pilot. I am really hoping to see if they explain the fever a bit more on whether or not animals can carry or contract the virus. They sure as hell can be eaten by zombies, so no Dawn of the Dead logic of send the dog through the swarm.

My DVD Collection
GO CHIEFS, WILDCATS, SUNS, DIAMONDBACKS, COYOTES, RATTLERS, AND LUMBERJACKS!
"Asking if an HDTV is too big, is like me asking you if the diamond on your wedding ring is too big." -- My dad's response to my mom's question about my 65" HDTV.
post #145 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 06:01 PM

Liked: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragedogg69 View Post

LOVED the pilot. I am really hoping to see if they explain the fever a bit more on whether or not animals can carry or contract the virus. They sure as hell can be eaten by zombies, so no (NEW) Dawn of the Dead logic of send the dog through the swarm.

FTFY. After all, the horse scene was probably a nod to George Romero's zombies escapades (survival OTD)
post #146 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalabria View Post

I found it hard to believe that Grimes separated from Morgan ...

Sorry... but reading that sentence made me "flash" on Chuck... since his friend is named Morgan Grimes. I had to read that several times before I could disassociate Chuck from this thread
post #147 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

FTFY. After all, the horse scene was probably a nod to George Romero's zombies escapades (survival OTD)

Only if it was new to the pilot. IF it was from the comic (again I haven't read the comic) then the comic pre-dates the recent Romero movie by quite a bit.
post #148 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatteoMS View Post

Comic says they're from Kentucky. No clue if they're trying to keep with that for the show or not. The main reason he thought they went to Atlanta was that Lori's parents lived there.

Interesting... so they must have tweaked a few things already... because going to Atlanta via I-85 from Kentucky would be going the long way around!
post #149 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:

Only if it was new to the pilot. IF it was from the comic (again I haven't read the comic) then the comic pre-dates the recent Romero movie by quite a bit.

It's from the comic.

post #150 of 14209 Old 11-03-2010, 10:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
good so far

from website about show:

Waking up in an empty hospital after weeks in a coma, County Sheriff Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) finds himself utterly alone. The world as he knows it is gone, ravaged by a zombie epidemic.

very loose timeline but to me, weeks sounds like more than a month and less than two months
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the walking dead , The Walking Dead Season 3 Limited Edition Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete First Season Blu Ray , The Walking Dead The Complete Second Season , tv shows

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page