'Blue Bloods' on CBS - Page 17 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #481 of 936 Old 10-25-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
This last episode borrowed a technique from Grimm. The woman told Danny over the phone her location. The light looked like mid-afternoon. When Danny and troops arrived it was pitch black night. Manhattan must be considerably larger than seen on the map.
I saw that too but the Grimm connection didn't occur to me. Maybe I was too busy wondering how Danny knew which side of the river she was on without having to ask?
Stereodude likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #482 of 936 Old 10-25-2015, 07:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
They used the travel decelerator. Most shows use the travel accelerator.
post #483 of 936 Old 10-25-2015, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
At the dinner scene (on this week's show), Frank's (Selleck's) shirt was open widely at the neck. His skin coloration (around his neck) was intensely red/purple. And his face coloration was very red. This was in comparison to the others seated at the table and could be seen on a wide shot where everybody was in view. I wonder if this was a makeup faux-pas, a bad sunburn or some sort of a medical condition? In the other scenes of the show, his facial tone looked normal. It was just at the dinner scene where this caught my eye. Did anybody else notice this?
Possibly, but not likely, poor color timing at the video lab, most likely poor duplication of the master by CBS. In fact the show was too red overall. The episode before this one (On Demand) was three frames out of sync .... the entire episode, anyone notice??

By the by, I cannot watch the live feed due to the audio compression applied by CBS. The On Demand version preserves the full audio dynamic range without the "pumping" of the variable compression. All of CBS's shows suffer from the automated compressor.

If you love a show watch it On Demand .... just my 36 cents!

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #484 of 936 Old 10-26-2015, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
Possibly, but not likely, poor color timing at the video lab, most likely poor duplication of the master by CBS. In fact the show was too red overall.
If it were only a single, "tight" shot of Selleck that looked incorrect (bad color balance), I could agree with you. But, if you look at the wide shot of the table (where all family members are seen at the same time) and only Selleck's skin-tone is the one that is incorrect, then it cannot be bad color timing. No colorist/shader would electronically isolate a single face in a scene (in post) to deliberately make it look different from the others in the same scene. And, if you notice the white balance of everything else in the scene (e.g.-curtains, sunlight, shirts, table cloth, etc.), all appear to have a correct color temperature/color balance. My tv is calibrated and (to me) this show did not appear red overall. Just my $.02.
post #485 of 936 Old 10-26-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
If it were only a single, "tight" shot of Selleck that looked incorrect (bad color balance), I could agree with you. But, if you look at the wide shot of the table (where all family members are seen at the same time) and only Selleck's skin-tone is the one that is incorrect, then it cannot be bad color timing. No colorist/shader would electronically isolate a single face in a scene (in post) to deliberately make it look different from the others in the same scene. And, if you notice the white balance of everything else in the scene (e.g.-curtains, sunlight, shirts, table cloth, etc.), all appear to have a correct color temperature/color balance. My tv is calibrated and (to me) this show did not appear red overall. Just my $.02.
My 36 cents minus your 2 cents equals 34 cents!! I'll owe you the rest and pay up after the next episode airs. Or when I hear from those "in the know" about what happened to the color timing.

Magnepan 1.7's (LR), Magnepan CC5/DWM (Center Channel), Magnepan MC1's (Surrounds), Rythmik F12 (Sub), Emotiva XMC-1 (Processor), Emotiva XPA-2 Gen2 Drives the 1.7's, Emotiva XPA-5 Drives the Center and Surrounds, Oppo BDP-103 (Audio/Video Source), Oppo UDP-203 (Audio/Video Source), Apple TV 4K (Audio/Video Source), Sony PS4 (Audio/Video Source), LG OLED65B6P (Monitor)
post #486 of 936 Old 10-26-2015, 12:10 PM

Your could say our comments were "noncentsical"

post #487 of 936 Old 10-26-2015, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
At the dinner scene (on this week's show), Frank's (Selleck's) shirt was open widely at the neck. His skin coloration (around his neck) was intensely red/purple. And his face coloration was very red. This was in comparison to the others seated at the table and could be seen on a wide shot where everybody was in view. I wonder if this was a makeup faux-pas, a bad sunburn or some sort of a medical condition? In the other scenes of the show, his facial tone looked normal. It was just at the dinner scene where this caught my eye. Did anybody else notice this?
+1, something very odd about Frank's skin tone, especially in the neck line. All I could think of was Selleck got a bad sun burn that they were not able to cover up with makeup, and it happened after everything other than the dinner scene was shot, although the color was more purple/red than a simple red sunburn agree everyone else looked fine so it couldn't be just his camera off tint.
Good show otherwise, even if it was back to the Danny Regan show, after a pleasant break the week before.
post #488 of 936 Old 11-02-2015, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Pretty good "straight from the headlines" story with Jamie.
post #489 of 936 Old 11-02-2015, 10:03 AM

I thought the plot was horribly thin. It was really easy to predict the attempts at twists and turns.
Phil17108 likes this.
post #490 of 936 Old 11-02-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Yes everything is still right in N.Y. City, Jamie's girl friend is still riding shot gun.
post #491 of 936 Old 11-02-2015, 01:17 PM

But no other police officers saw the woman and kid who Jamie was trying to protect when he assaulted the cyclist.
post #492 of 936 Old 11-02-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Liked: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil17108 View Post
Yes everything is still right in N.Y. City, Jamie's girl friend is still riding shot gun.
They do have one more space at the dinner table for Eddie. When do you think she'll sit down?
post #493 of 936 Old 11-03-2015, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
They do have one more space at the dinner table for Eddie. When do you think she'll sit down?
The last half of the last season. May be next year. She fits right in.
post #494 of 936 Old 11-04-2015, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I also liked the plot about the white guy pretending to be a black rapper. There are a few stories like that in the news these days.
post #495 of 936 Old 11-09-2015, 02:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some added shots of Baker this week. Did I miss something or have never paid attention because Frank referred to her as Detective?
post #496 of 936 Old 11-09-2015, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Some added shots of Baker this week. Did I miss something or have never paid attention because Frank referred to her as Detective?
She is & has always been (i.e. since season 1) a detective.
post #497 of 936 Old 11-10-2015, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
Some added shots of Baker this week.
YES! Finally! She is getting a little more air-time. I've been wanting to have her get more exposure--I have always felt her character was being wasted. I would also like to see Amy Carlson get a little more air-time. She now only appears at the dinner table and has, maybe, one or two lines. Her character is also being wasted, IMO. Anyway-thanks to whomever saw fit to give Abigail Hawk some more screen exposure.
post #498 of 936 Old 11-11-2015, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Baker...exposure. I for one look forward to it!
post #499 of 936 Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Baker can't get much exposure as a desk jockey. Put her in uniform and riding with Mrs. Jamie and send him to the SWAT team, or put them both in designer wear working for the Commish like the old cop show in the 90's. Baker does the talking with Mrs. Jamie doing the shooting.
philw1776 likes this.
post #500 of 936 Old 11-15-2015, 05:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

This season especially is featuring sub-plot themes ripped straight out of current events. The granddaughter, never a favorite of mine, did her best acting job yet.
Felt bad for the death wish cop and his situation faced with pancreatic cancer, and worse yet knowing his family won't be financially secure unless his demise is job related.
post #501 of 936 Old 11-15-2015, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
This season especially is featuring sub-plot themes ripped straight out of current events. The granddaughter, never a favorite of mine, did her best acting job yet.
Felt bad for the death wish cop and his situation faced with pancreatic cancer, and worse yet knowing his family won't be financially secure unless his demise is job related.
I couldn't believe how perfectly she was able to reflect her mother's speech and mannerisms - the crew must have spent a ton of time coaching her.

I'd be more sympathetic to the cop if he just stole drugs or money from evidence to help his family, rather than put fellow officers in danger and likely trigger some multimillion dollar lawsuits against the city. At this point if his superiors knowingly let him stay on the street and anything goes south, the lawyers would have a field day...

CC

post #502 of 936 Old 11-15-2015, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
I couldn't believe how perfectly she was able to reflect her mother's speech and mannerisms - the crew must have spent a ton of time coaching her.

I'd be more sympathetic to the cop if he just stole drugs or money from evidence to help his family, rather than put fellow officers in danger and likely trigger some multimillion dollar lawsuits against the city. At this point if his superiors knowingly let him stay on the street and anything goes south, the lawyers would have a field day...
Spot on on the mannerisms. For the 1st time EVAH she seemed like Bridget's kid despite being a dwarf.

Agree on the cop's moral blind spot. That's clearly why he was appropriately relieved of duty.
post #503 of 936 Old 11-15-2015, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Good episode, wonder how many weeks will this killer be stalking Danny and family..Will Jamie's partner get an invitation to the Regan table for Thanksgiving?

post #504 of 936 Old 11-15-2015, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Aside from good story lines this week (as usual), I thought it was a nice touch that the "secondary" characters were more prominent in this week's episode. Linda (Amy Carlson), Niki (Sami Gayle), Baker (Abigail Hawk) and Gormley (Robert Clohessy) all were given a lot more air time than they usually are allotted. I don't expect this to continue. After all-they are not the "main" characters by any means. But, it was refreshing to see these characters given the time to show their in-depth acting skills. Than you producers/writers for letting these people have the extra time this week! I sometimes even watch old episodes in re-run. This show is one of my favorites-I never miss it.
post #505 of 936 Old 11-15-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Aside from good story lines this week (as usual), I thought it was a nice touch that the "secondary" characters were more prominent in this week's episode. Linda (Amy Carlson), Niki (Sami Gayle), Baker (Abigail Hawk) and Gormley (Robert Clohessy) all were given a lot more air time than they usually are allotted. I don't expect this to continue. After all-they are not the "main" characters by any means. But, it was refreshing to see these characters given the time to show their in-depth acting skills. Than you producers/writers for letting these people have the extra time this week! I sometimes even watch old episodes in re-run. This show is one of my favorites-I never miss it.
Unfortunately none of that time came out of Danny's allotment. They keep him wound too tight all the time - watching him wears me out.

I also didn't get the purpose of Frank's story line - why spend the time setting it up only to have him get heckled off the stage?

CC

post #506 of 936 Old 11-15-2015, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Unfortunately none of that time came out of Danny's allotment. They keep him wound too tight all the time - watching him wears me out.

I also didn't get the purpose of Frank's story line - why spend the time setting it up only to have him get heckled off the stage?
Danny always seems (to me) to be wound too tight. Yet, I still enjoy his character.

As to Frank's story line--I understood his premise for this. He was standing up for his principles to be a role model for Niki. He stated that (as far as he was concerned) he is/was/had to be the father-figure for her since her real father is rarely there. So, even though he knew (in advance) that his "speech" was going to be a train-wreck, he did it for Niki to show you must have the conviction of your principles. At least, that is the way I understood the story-line.
post #507 of 936 Old 11-15-2015, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Danny always seems (to me) to be wound too tight. Yet, I still enjoy his character.

As to Frank's story line--I understood his premise for this. He was standing up for his principles to be a role model for Niki. He stated that (as far as he was concerned) he is/was/had to be the father-figure for her since her real father is rarely there. So, even though he knew (in advance) that his "speech" was going to be a train-wreck, he did it for Niki to show you must have the conviction of your principles. At least, that is the way I understood the story-line.
Yes I get that, and it gave Niki her chance to shine - it just seemed like kind of a dead-end way to go about it. Frank's been in many tough situations where he found a way to make something positive out of it - this time it just sort of fizzled. Which I suppose is more realistic but still a bit disappointing...

CC

post #508 of 936 Old 11-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

I thought that it was interesting (this week) that, for a change, "Danny" (Donnie Wahlberg) got the "short end of the stick". In that, his only appearance was at the dinner table scene. I like all the characters in the program, including Wahlberg. But, it was nice (for a change) that his character did not have a prominent presence. I'm not trying to imply that his character should now have a lesser importance. I'm just saying it was nice for him to take a back-seat to the others. He is probably happy to have a shooting-week off for a change. Just an observation.
WLGeter likes this.
post #509 of 936 Old 11-22-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At least Baker got an actual scene this week - though I thought her anxiety over Frank's future was a little out of character. Does she expect him to work until he's 90?

CC

post #510 of 936 Old 11-22-2015, 04:12 PM
AVS ***** Member

Mentioned: 356 Post(s)
Quoted: 5554 Post(s)
Liked: 10778
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustan View Post
Possibly, but not likely, poor color timing at the video lab, most likely poor duplication of the master by CBS. In fact the show was too red overall. The episode before this one (On Demand) was three frames out of sync .... the entire episode, anyone notice??

By the by, I cannot watch the live feed due to the audio compression applied by CBS. The On Demand version preserves the full audio dynamic range without the "pumping" of the variable compression. All of CBS's shows suffer from the automated compressor.

If you love a show watch it On Demand .... just my 36 cents!

Hi,

I apologize if I am taking the thread off-topic a little, although I do like the show, if that helps. Could you tell me a little more about the automated compressor you referred to. This is not exactly the same thing, I think, but I have noticed that a number of the CBS shows have way over-cooked surround channels. If that is all part of the audio package, I would like to understand it better. I have definitely observed a pattern to the mixing. I think that NCIS, and the spin-offs, are probably the worst in terms of over-boosted surrounds.

Watching live (recorded, actually) versus On-Demand, is sort of Hobson's choice for me, as the On-Demand network shows usually don't allow you to fast forward through commercials. I record live shows, and watch them later, precisely to be able to do that.

Thanks for any help in understanding their mixing process better.

Regards,
Mike

GUIDE TO SUBWOOFER CALIBRATION AND BASS PREFERENCES

* The Guide linked above is a comprehensive guide to Audio & HT systems, including:
Speaker placements & Room treatments; HT calibration & Room EQ; Room gain; Bass
Preferences; Subwoofer Buyer's Guide: Sealed/ported; ID subs; Subwoofer placement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page