'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 391 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7645Likes

post #11701 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 702
Liked the episode; so don't get me wrong.

But for me, the time for all the formalities is over - I nearly cheered when Bran piped up about "We don't have time for this..." I expected a lead character to succumb to the White Walkers, and a lot more death. But I'm thinking that will be what next Sunday will be all about.

Sansa's rip on Tyrion had me saying "that's cold, girl!" But it needed to be said. I could have went with half the double dragon date. Especially since right before that they revealed the dragons aren't eating as much. Regardless, great to see John Snow's comedic action.

Looking forward to Arya's final story. Loved what began with the opening scene, her visit to her blacksmith boyfriend, and the Hound reunion.

Like others said, that was the fastest hour I've witnessed in a while!
Mike_WI likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11702 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 06:24 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCJetta View Post
Liked the episode; so don't get me wrong.

But for me, the time for all the formalities is over - I nearly cheered when Bran piped up about "We don't have time for this..." I expected a lead character to succumb to the White Walkers, and a lot more death. But I'm thinking that will be what next Sunday will be all about.

Sansa's rip on Tyrion had me saying "that's cold, girl!" But it needed to be said. I could have went with half the double dragon date. Especially since right before that they revealed the dragons aren't eating as much. Regardless, great to see John Snow's comedic action.

Looking forward to Arya's final story. Loved what began with the opening scene, her visit to her blacksmith boyfriend, and the Hound reunion.

Like others said, that was the fastest hour I've witnessed in a while!
One of the many interview articles posted in here recently, had the creators talking about a sequence that has no comparison in cinema. They cited a movie that had a 40 minute scene that came close. So one of these episodes coming up will be almost entitely action. Its coming dude.
post #11703 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post
The picture quality contributes to be highly disappointing. Massive banding, crush, posterization......yuck. Very distracting from the immersion of the story.
I am a DirecTV subscriber and switched to the HBOGO stream via Xbox One. It's a massive improvement in visual quality. I watched upscaled to 4K on my LG OLED C6 and saw no banding or crushing.

In fact, in many dark scenes, I thought it superior to the Blu-Rays played on the same Xbox One.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11704 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Quoted: 4550 Post(s)
Liked: 6054
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I'm still trying to picture the conversation between Jon and Dany. Hoo Boy.
"Aunt Dany, there's something I have to tell you."

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #11705 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Favorite line for me was Sansa: "What do dragons eat?" Daenerys response: "anything they want..."
zeuspaul, mike1812 and mrvideo like this.
post #11706 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 07:25 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked: 4324
All that seemed to be missing was Ghost and Nymeria .. "the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives."

mike1812 and John dhein like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #11707 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 07:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by rflor View Post
I am a DirecTV subscriber and switched to the HBOGO stream via Xbox One. It's a massive improvement in visual quality. I watched upscaled to 4K on my LG OLED C6 and saw no banding or crushing.

In fact, in many dark scenes, I thought it superior to the Blu-Rays played on the same Xbox One.
The problem with HBOGO is that you don't get surround sound. At least you didn't before. Has that changed?

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #11708 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 07:29 AM

The issues described by some as it relates to PQ might be attributable to the ISP distribution being fairly well taxed to the limit ..

The commentary at the end of episodes on HBOgo by B&W are always a worthwhile watch as well ..
Keenan, Ph8te and Mike_WI like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #11709 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked: 6921
Poor Sam.

Jaime - "Oh shhhhhhhh...."

Seems like we saw everyone except Brienne of Tarth. It's been so long I don't even remember where we left off with her.

Cool new opening. The last part is like a DOOM II The Crusher level.

Opened the thread to two and a half pages of new posts! It's like the old days.
post #11710 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post

Opened the thread to two and a half pages of new posts! It's like the old days.
Minus the whining about suspected Book Spoilers ..
gwsat and John dhein like this.

Uncle Willie

post #11711 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 AM

Dragonglass is written on the paper .. maybe an interchangeable blade / speartip .. on-line scuttlebutt speculates a major role in something ..

Mike_WI likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #11712 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked: 6921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Minus the whining about suspected Book Spoilers ..
Yeah, it's gotta suck for some of the Nostradamus book readers to be on the same level as the pagan "watchers" now. Mingling with the commoners! Smoking jackets disappointedly hanging in their closets. Truly bleak days.
Sharp1080, lax01 and mgkdragn like this.
post #11713 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:10 AM

As well .. symbols used as messages from the WW have been used since season 1 ..

Ned Umber / Lord of House Umber ..

Caves of Dragonstone ..

Uncle Willie

post #11714 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Yeah, it's gotta suck for some of the Nostradamus book readers to be on the same level as the pagan "watchers" now. Mingling with the commoners! Smoking jackets disappointedly hanging in their closets. Truly bleak days.
I always held my tongue .. .. If memory serves, was it not Oink that always had the biggest beef .. ?? .. regardless, I still miss him ..

In actuality, it's quite liberating to having hung up the Smoking Jacket ..

I don't think there has been a shred of activity on the "other" Thread ..
Sharp1080, archiguy and Tack like this.

Uncle Willie

post #11715 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Dragonglass is written on the paper .. maybe an interchangeable blade / speartip .. on-line scuttlebutt speculates a major role in something ..
She's thinking ahead to when the dragonglass inevitably shatters or breaks off. This has bugged me for a while...the weapons' durability is going to be a problem.
Mike_WI likes this.
post #11716 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
The problem with HBOGO is that you don't get surround sound. At least you didn't before. Has that changed?
Via Xbox One, it came across as Dolby Digital+ and I thought there was good surround effects. It did not sound like upmixed Stereo, but my middle-aged ears may be failing me.
post #11717 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
She's thinking ahead to when the dragonglass inevitably shatters or breaks off. This has bugged me for a while...the weapons' durability is going to be a problem.
Spoiler!

Uncle Willie

post #11718 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6899 Post(s)
Liked: 7811
Quote:
Via Xbox One, it came across as Dolby Digital+ and I thought there was good surround effects. It did not sound like upmixed Stereo, but my middle-aged ears may be failing me.
That brings up another tech question for the class. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between plain ol' Dolby Digital, which I get on all my cable/satellite feeds, and DD+ which I get on many BD's and most of the streaming services? Is it just "better" DD for some reason? Is it a whole separate audio track or CODEC? Is it two more channels, i.e. 7.1 instead of 5.1?

What's the deal with DD+ anyway?
post #11719 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
That brings up another tech question for the class. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between plain ol' Dolby Digital, which I get on all my cable/satellite feeds, and DD+ which I get on many BD's and most of the streaming services? Is it just "better" DD for some reason? Is it a whole separate audio track or CODEC? Is it two more channels, i.e. 7.1 instead of 5.1?

From digitaltrends.com:

"Dolby offers two different 7.1 surround versions. Dolby Digital Plus is the “lossy” version, which still involves data compression and takes up less space on a Blu-ray disc. Dolby TrueHD, on the other hand, is lossless. Since no compression is involved, Dolby TrueHD is intended to be identical to the studio master."

I was watching past seasons via HBOGO (Xfinity) on my Roku and was also getting DD+, with my receiver showing 7.1 inputs. That was until Comcast decided to screw a lot of folks over with their authorization codes. Was working fine until I got to the S8 premiere time, and then HBOGO was "not authorized" and I kept getting errors everytime I tried to re-authorize. Finally ended up watching the TiVo recording from Xfinity cable, but definitely want to get this fixed and rewatch the premiere via GO - there's still a huge difference in video and audio quality.
post #11720 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I thought it was some sort of harpoon that could shoot.

Either way, they've set the table for a really exciting season. I really wanted to click "Next Episode" last night . . .
shivaji likes this.
post #11721 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I have never been so glued to the screen for a TV show ever. That hour went by so fast it was insane. Props to the actor playing Euron. Wow, he does that so well, one of the most despicable characters in a while. Played to perfection.
Agreed, and speaking of Euron... I am pretty sure Cersi is playing him. Not just the obvious play about giving cover to her already pregnant condition, but giving him hope of getting what he wants with her. She's going to use him to cover the child, then when that's done she'll have him killed. She told him she likes arrogant men - uh, no she doesn't. If anything she likes smart, confident men - that are loyal to her. Euron is too loyal to himself and his own desires, and loyal to her only as far as it helps him advance those.

My system info.
Spoiler!
post #11722 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

It is a better DD, or more accurately, DD extended (not the DD-E, but DD+). Quoting from an old Home Theater Forum post:

"Dolby Digital Plus" is Extended AC-3 (E-AC3). It incorporates improved coding models which preserve more audio information when used at low bitrates (such as 192 kbps). Additionally, it allows for additional data from channel arrangements beyond 5.1. Specifically, in the case of 7.1 audio, it supplies the 4 rear channels as a separate packet : there is a 5.1 core, and then an extension which replaces the 2 rear channels of 5.1 with 4 new rear channels.

So DD+ is DD expanded with extensions (still has the core DD) to make things like 7.1 possible as well as other improvements in performance, etc.

The connection to the apps available for streaming is that most (if not all) apps have moved from DD to DD+. I noticed this when all of my used apps (Netflix, VUDU, HBO Go, Directv Now) on my Roku went from 5.1 to stereo.

I have an old Pioneer Elite VSX-33 which performs great, but is only capable of DD. No DD+. I'll have to update to a (at least) DD+ capable AVR, since sound is as important as the PQ to me.
archiguy likes this.
post #11723 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:49 AM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 7712 Post(s)
Liked: 17515
Quote:
I always held my tongue .. .. If memory serves, was it not Oink that always had the biggest beef .. ?? .. regardless, I still miss him ..

Don't you mean biggest ham hock?

post #11724 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:

I watch off of DirecTV too and agree the picture isn't anything to write home about. I might have to look into that HBOGO app. Is it available thru the ATV?

post #11725 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
I watch off of DirecTV too and agree the picture isn't anything to write home about. I might have to look into that HBOGO app. Is it available thru the ATV?
I watched on Directv Now and got excellent quality on PQ, will compare with HBO Go (both are on Roku), but expect the same good quality.

Memory fades, since I've been on DirectNow for about a year, but the PQ is much improved from Comcast.
post #11726 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
I watched on Directv Now and got excellent quality on PQ, will compare with HBO Go (both are on Roku), but expect the same good quality.

Memory fades, since I've been on DirectNow for about a year, but the PQ is much improved from Comcast.
You have my medulla oblongata really scrambled. And on a Monday too. Might take 5 days to unscramble. But what's the difference between DirectNow and DirecTV?

post #11727 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:

Say what? We've always used HBO Go for GoT and surround sound has always been there, at least as far as I can remember. HBO Now didn't offer 5.1 but HBO Go did. The sound track last night was exceptional via HBO Go on the ATV4k.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11728 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post

Yes. PQ and AQ was fantastic on my C8 via the ATV4k. Even the very dark scene with Tormund was watchable, with the use of a bias light, with no crushing or blocking.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11729 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1414 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
"Aunt Dany, there's something I have to tell you."
If my aunt was that hot, I think I'd just keep it to myself

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: RBH SV-661R and SV-661CR fronts, Jamo 626k4 side/rear surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #11730 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:

In all fairness, when I started this thread back in the beginning, I did it because the other thread was so full of the book did this and the book did that. And worse, in the book this is coming. It was so full of spoilers it made the weekly showings less than desirable to those who didn't read the books. At this point though we are in no man's land and it really doesn't matter any more. Now all we have is speculation, much of it educated...

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page