'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 393 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7645Likes

post #11761 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked: 5657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I’m surprised I didn’t see more complaining about the scene with Tormund since it was so dark and would extremely challenging if you had lights on in room. If anything this just gets the juices flowing for the 4K release
that scene was dark as hell...even for GoT standards that was a torture test for black levels/shadow detail etc...even with my OLED that scene looked bad...but I'm sure the cable compression low bit-rates with FiOS didn't help...
gwsat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #11762 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 06:52 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRSS View Post
I have been wondering about what Bran meant after Jon said to him, You are a man now and Bran responded by saying "Not yet". Not yet the complete 3rd eye or man?
He said "almost" not "not yet."

My interpretation was the fact that he's crippled. Maybe he meant something else, but thats how I took it initially.
post #11763 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 7712 Post(s)
Liked: 17515
For any of you It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia fans (show still makes me laugh) Mac (Rob McElhenney) has a quick cameo getting killed as Theon rescues Yara.

https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...isode-1-cameo/
lax01 likes this.

Advertisement

post #11764 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I do wonder if Jon will even tell Dany the truth about his Targaryen lineage...or maybe he'll wait until the war is over...many moons ago when I first started reading the books (I'm sure I posted my theory in this thread as well many years ago) I always thought that the war with the White Walkers would be dispatched in the next-to-last book (Winds of Winter) and the final book would be about Daenerys betraying everyone and succumbing to the Targaryen curse...in other other words she would become Mad Queen Daenerys and with her dragons the real fight would be everyone teaming up to defeat her...things are looking slim as far as my original theory but there's still a chance she goes full crazy when Jon tries to take over as King
After the loyalty Jon showed in refusing to lie about his allegiance to Dany at the big meet with Cersi in S7E7, it's hard to imagine him being that non-forthcoming on his own with her. Jon's all about the honorable and selfless thing, situational ethics be damned. IMO there would have to be some outside influence which is currently lacking since there are still only 3 people who have this info.

My system info.
Spoiler!
post #11765 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6995 Post(s)
Liked: 7066
Quote:
that scene was dark as hell...even for GoT standards that was a torture test for black levels/shadow detail etc...even with my OLED that scene looked bad...but I'm sure the cable compression low bit-rates with FiOS didn't help...

It is for sure a torture scene. It looked “ok” on my B7 the few times I watched it, but I watch in a room I try to keep as dark as possible when watching GoT. It’s one of those scenes people will be going over once disc comes out to see where it bottoms out. Outside of that one sequence and a few shots here and there I thought everything looked really good for what we have. I saw reports of people seeing a blob for a tree, major anomalies other places and I just didn’t see that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheroy View Post
After the loyalty Jon showed in refusing to lie about his allegiance to Dany at the big meet with Cersi in S7E7, it's hard to imagine him being that non-forthcoming on his own with her. Jon's all about the honorable and selfless thing, situational ethics be damned. IMO there would have to be some outside influence which is currently lacking since there are still only 3 people who have this info.

You mean like the “3 wise men” telling him to sacrifice for the good of everyone?
post #11766 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 08:47 PM

Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked: 5657
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheroy View Post
maybe now that he knows that Ned Stark is not his father he won't feel compelled to always do the honorable thing...maybe a bit of Rhaegar will start to emerge...plus he saw how Dany burnt Randyll and Dickon Tarly alive for not bending the knee and he's starting to see that maybe Dany isn't the right person to sit on the Iron Throne
post #11767 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked: 2013
Quote:
Looked terrible on my tube. Not sure what they were thinking.

"Don't blame me -- I voted for Kodos." Homer Simpson
post #11768 of 14252 Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1141
Quote:
maybe now that he knows that Ned Stark is not his father
He has as much Stark in his blood as ever, and knows it. His new understanding of his heritage should be an enhancement, not a detraction.

The questions I have are all related to the magical/mystical side of the GoT universe. If Jon's bloodlines, as the first true mingling of Targaryen and Stark, are full of potential magic -- particularly warging and dragon-wrangling -- and if there is such a close ancestral connection between Starks, Children of the Forest, First Men, and thus even White Walkers -- how his potential power manifest? My completely speculative prediction is that within these questions we'll see the ultimate answers, rather than simply politics and battles. After all, Jon Snow Is Magic.
shivaji and Ben23 like this.
post #11769 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 04:14 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2231 Post(s)
Liked: 3161
Few more details on the ratings numbers not in the original article:

Game of Thrones set a massive ratings record for its final season premiere.

The HBO hit delivered 17.4 million viewers on Sunday evening across multiple airings and including some streaming.

That makes the GoT season 8 premiere the biggest telecast in HBO’s history and the most-watched scripted entertainment program of the year (the prior record holder was CBS’ The Big Bang Theory with 14.1 million viewers on Feb. 7) — despite HBO being available in far fewer homes than the broadcast network.

The number surpasses the show’s previous overnight record of 16.9 million viewers for the season 7 finale two years ago. The show didn’t surge quite as much from the season 7 premiere (16.1 million) as one might have expected, however. But the record is despite HBO losing Dish subscribers in a contract dispute last December (which HBO believes impacted the numbers), and certain streaming partners (such as Amazon, Hulu, Roku) not being counted in this first-round number. By comparison, the finale of HBO’s The Sopranos in 2007 had 11.9 million viewers.

The show also blew up Twitter, racking up 5 million tweets, a record for the show (Sam revealing the truth about Jon Snow’s parents was the most tweeted about moment).
GoT is the extremely rare drama that has managed to grow its audience every single season (AMC’s Breaking Bad was another). AMC’s The Walking Dead used to top Game of Thrones in the ratings, but the zombie drama has recently fallen to around 5 million weekly viewers.

Last week the U.K.’s Daily Mail wrote a story claiming the return of Game of Thrones could rack up a billion viewers worldwide, but the truth is even HBO doesn’t know how many viewers their show gets globally given all the various methods of distribution. The real global number will be far closer to 100 million. (NCIS was calculated in 2016 to be the “most watched drama in the world” with only 47 million viewers).

Still, GoT is very likely the world’s biggest show at this point. GoT‘s seventh season grew to average about 32 million viewers per episode after months of streaming viewership was added.
And if this kind of number is what the season premiere is doing … what’s the May 19th series finale going to get?

https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/15/game-of...ings-season-8/

post #11770 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I don't think anyone makes valerian steel anymore unless they melt down another blade such as when we saw Ice melted down.
I think it was to be made out of dragon glass...
I think you are correct after seeing a post above with a screen capture of Arya’s diagram that specifies “Dragonglass.” In fact the term may even have the ultimate effect of bringing down the Night King’s dragon if it is what I think it is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As to viewer numbers — I had seen predictions of viewers numbering in one or even two billion last week. What was with that in relation to a mere 20 million or so? Worldwide viewership will balloon that number, but how much? Btw, is the 20M sets tuned in or a calculation of viewers watching the sets?

Last edited by Wacojoe; 04-16-2019 at 07:06 AM.
post #11771 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacojoe View Post
I think you are correct after seeing a post above with a screen capture of Arya’s diagram that specifies “Dragonglass.” In fact the term may even have the ultimate effect of bringing down the Night King’s dragon if it is what I think it is.
The entire arms making center is zeroed in on dragon glass. The only thing that will kill a white walker is fire and dragon glass. They are in the process of making all new arms out of dragon glass to arm the joint army. While it is reasonable speculation that Arya will bring down the "white dragon," with her new weapon, I wouldn't put too much thought into it because she wrote dragon glass on her drawing.

Bobby 

post #11772 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3233 Post(s)
Liked: 4324
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
Isn't that all end-user reported (i.e.: meaningless)?
I would say that user reported issues on downdetector are quite meaningful .. it shows that HBOgo was under a real load during the timeframe .. and, those numbers don't include those that don't know about the site and never reported ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #11773 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 07:58 AM

Let us never forget that, under that cute exterior, Arya Stark is a highly trained Ninja Assassin .. fully capable of disguising her identity as needed .. her training may come into full play with the Dragonglass Weapon .. Arya Stark is one Bad MF, (Shaft, shut your mouth) ..

She's been one of my favorites from the get go, and I sincerely hope she plays a big role this season in the issuance of mayhem ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #11774 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
The only thing that will kill a white walker is fire and dragon glass.
Can Valyrian Steel not kill White Walkers?
post #11775 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwinroad View Post
Can Valyrian Steel not kill White Walkers?
Yes, and it adds another dimension in the end-game given the current Valyrian steel "owners":

Jon
Sam (via his father's sword)
Arya
Brienne -- Jaime had a Valyrian steel sword courtesy of Joffrey melting down the Stark family sword into 2, which he gave to Brienne for her journeys. I cannot recall if he picked up the other one after Joffrey's death, or if it's now lost...
post #11776 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 291
I have forgotten — does dragonglass (obsidian) kill and dissolve/shatter the dead like it does whitewalkers?
post #11777 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5064 Post(s)
Liked: 6921
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Let us never forget that, under that cute exterior, Arya Stark is a highly trained Ninja Assassin .. fully capable of disguising her identity as needed .. her training may come into full play with the Dragonglass Weapon .. Arya Stark is one Bad MF, (Shaft, shut your mouth) ..

She's been one of my favorites from the get go, and I sincerely hope she plays a big role this season in the issuance of mayhem ..
She put a little fear into Jon with her "Make sure it stays that way" (don't remember the actual line), too.
post #11778 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:10 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6995 Post(s)
Liked: 7066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacojoe View Post
I have forgotten — does dragonglass (obsidian) kill and dissolve/shatter the dead like it does whitewalkers?

It kills them yes, I don’t think it shatters anyone but WW and we still aren’t sure about the NK.
post #11779 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
She put a little fear into Jon with her "Make sure it stays that way" (don't remember the actual line), too.
Folks have been mentioning their favorite line from EP 1 .. mine was the exchange between Snow and Arya ..

Snow (speaking of Needle) .. Have you ever had to use it .. ??
Arya .. A Time or Two (or something similar, I don't remember the exact)
Tack and Ben23 like this.

Uncle Willie

post #11780 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked: 2880
Did anyone else find the audio very inconsistent? Some scenes it was very dynamic, in others, very anemic with hollow voices and no bass response.
WilliamR likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #11781 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
While that was visually the best part of show 1, I came to the same conclusion -- no way to stay on. It did lead to Dany's best line when Jon asked what would happen if he fell off (Then I've enjoyed your company, Jon Snow) and also the dragons giving Jon the stink eye whilst making out with their mom.

Teenage dragons. Sheesh!
I had to laugh at that. The two big guys, in effect, telling Jon " You better not be thinking about Mommy that way". On the other hand, the dragons clearly sense that Jon is a Targaryen so maybe in that case family, shall we say "intermingling" is not unknown? After all, look at the Lannister sis and bro.
post #11782 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Did anyone else find the audio very inconsistent? Some scenes it was very dynamic, in others, very anemic with hollow voices and no bass response.
I watched on the Roku with DD+ audio and didn't really notice that Dave.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #11783 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Folks have been mentioning their favorite line from EP 1 .. mine was the exchange between Snow and Arya ..

Snow (speaking of Needle) .. Have you ever had to use it .. ??
Arya .. A Time or Two (or something similar, I don't remember the exact)
If you include those that got it from Needle and every other way used, through Season 7, Arya's kill count was around 64 (that includes the entire Frey family). In another movie franchise, she could be a T-1000 terminator.
Dave Vaughn and Ben23 like this.
post #11784 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3975 Post(s)
Liked: 2859
Quote:

Audio was very clean, dynamic, with lots of definition on HBO Go via the ATV4k.
Dave Vaughn and Ph8te like this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #11785 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:51 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2231 Post(s)
Liked: 3161
Quote:
Yes, most definitely. Some scenes were just gorgeous rich audio and then it got really bad. So much so I would occasionally grab the remote and check the on-screen menu to see if I accidently bumped it out of its current mode or something because it sounded like it was muffled and the voices were hard to hear. Then all of a sudden the voices were very loud. A shocking one was when they were riding the dragons, the sound got way off but when they landed it sounded like they were screaming compared to earlier. Only happened a few times though.
Dave Vaughn and mike1812 like this.

post #11786 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1866 Post(s)
Liked: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Yes, most definitely. Some scenes were just gorgeous rich audio and then it got really bad. So much so I would occasionally grab the remote and check the on-screen menu to see if I accidently bumped it out of its current mode or something because it sounded like it was muffled and the voices were hard to hear. Then all of a sudden the voices were very loud. A shocking one was when they were riding the dragons, the sound got way off but when they landed it sounded like they were screaming compared to earlier. Only happened a few times though.
That was my experience as well watching via Xfinity cable feed (Comcrap...er, Comcast ). Do you just use your email address and login for Xfinity to get HBO Go on a Roku or Amazon???
mike1812 likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #11787 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
We can only hope that it's not long before, at the very least, there's a Blu-ray release of Season 8. The BR box set of Seasons 1-7 is excellent but the UHD release of Season 1, while not up there with best of them, was a definite improvement over the Blu-ray set. I'm surprised that more seasons haven't been released in UHD.
Season 8 UHD pre order (also available on other venues)

mike1812 and Mike_WI like this.
post #11788 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked: 2278
Quote:
That was my experience as well watching via Xfinity cable feed (Comcrap...er, Comcast ). Do you just use your email address and login for Xfinity to get HBO Go on a Roku or Amazon???
Yup.

You launch the app, get a choice of providers to select from (I chose Directv Now, comcast is there), then follow directions on turning access on.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #11789 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Hope that Optimum doesnt c**p on me again.. Had to go to HBO-GO via Tivo to watch the episode..Horrible picture, not watchable. Sometimes I got this message:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HBO_error.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	174.6 KB
ID:	2553912  
Mike_WI likes this.

post #11790 of 14252 Old 04-16-2019, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 443
What is the most effective way to give HBO this feedback?

HT: Oppo UDP-203 -> Lumagen RadiancePro 4446 {18 GHz input x2 & 18 GHz output x1 cards} - "new (051820 FW)" 18 GHz microcode - parallel outs to --> [Audio: Denon 5308CI] --> [Video: JVC RS520 FW v30.1]
HT Details: link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page