'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 423 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7099Likes

post #12661 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 06:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
Starbucks has long been trying to expand their reach, so why not help give the heroes of the living the edge in fighting The Last War. Sansa was concerned about the army being physically drained when they had easy access to espresso all along?
This reminds me of the scene from one of the Shrek movies where the giant gingerbread man demolished a Starbucks in the town and the patrons flee across the street into another Starbucks.
shivaji, oneeyeblind and NewAger like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12662 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I streamed this week's episode on HBO Go and was very pleased with how it looked and sounded. Speaking of sound, I thought the background music to Tyrion's approach to Cersei standing on her battlement was thrilling. The high point of the episode for me, though, was a quiet one. Brienne's tearful plea to Jamie not to go back to Kings Landing and Cersei broke my heart. Brienne, after a lifetime of loss and disappointment finally consummated her relationship with Jamie, the love of her life, only to have him turn his back on her and return to his obsession, Cersei. Anyway, I thought this week's show was great television.
Tormund gave up too easily. I know he was slightly heartbroken, but he gave in too quick. He's the one responsible for her being a knight. I think most people wanted those two to hook up anyway.
oneeyeblind and kilroyc like this.
post #12663 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4114 Post(s)
Liked: 3670
Quote:
Originally Posted by torii View Post
I'm surprised none of the actors or set people caught that...maybe they left it in on purpose...with as much attention to detail as they have I find it hard to believe that a Starbucks cup could accidentally appear on screen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12664 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I'm surprised none of the actors or set people caught that...maybe they left it in on purpose...with as much attention to detail as they have I find it hard to believe that a Starbucks cup could accidentally appear on screen
Label out, too. I would say that you can't buy that kind of marketing, but perhaps you can.
post #12665 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Daenerys should have flown her dragon off to the side of or behind, or over the top of the little armada and fried them for killing her other dragon. They got some fast loading giant crossbows, don't they. Anyone here hit the local pub to watch the latest installments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXaG...&frags=pl%2Cwn
mike1812, Mikazaru, Ph8te and 1 others like this.
post #12666 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 07:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2525 Post(s)
Liked: 2805
I enjoyed the episode, for the most part, lots of great moments. Cool to see Jamie and Brianna finally hook up. Someone really needs to listen to Sansa lol
shivaji, Ph8te and oneeyeblind like this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #12667 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Liked: 5877
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Daenerys should have flown her dragon off to the side of or behind, or over the top of the little armada and fried them for killing her other dragon. They got some fast loading giant crossbows, don't they. Anyone here hit the local pub to watch the latest installments?

Interesting to see that whole group of people buying the Tyrion dead by mast conk to the head. I never thought for a moment that it killed him.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12668 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 07:53 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked: 5881
Quote:

There were multiple ships with those harpoons and all of the harpooons were highly “mobile”. These were upgrades from the last one we saw and as they showed could be moved around on a swivel. Much like the wall we saw on KL was not the only wall to have the harpoon devices. They have fortified things with anti-air devices. Cersi and Qyburn are much more adept to planning these things out. If you watch “The Game Revealed” they even show how they made the new devices.
oneeyeblind and cardoski like this.
post #12669 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:05 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4481 Post(s)
Liked: 5877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
There were multiple ships with those harpoons and all of the harpooons were highly “mobile”. These were upgrades from the last one we saw and as they showed could be moved around on a swivel. Much like the wall we saw on KL was not the only wall to have the harpoon devices. They have fortified things with anti-air devices. Cersi and Qyburn are much more adept to planning these things out. If you watch “The Game Revealed” they even show how they made the new devices.
I really don't want to get into the tactics thing again, but cmon. All the ships were facing one direction. Circle around and blow fire up their sterns. Swivel or not, they arent going to shoot through the masts. I'm fine with it either way, I wasn't going to post anything about it until yours.
post #12670 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaHiDef View Post
As you know, Varys is not a fan of Dany. The convo he and Tyrion had solidified that notion. I would not be surprised at all to find out that Varys is a spy for Cersei OR dislikes Dany enough that he is willing to give up info about their plans.
Varys does not dislike Dany. He just sees that she is not the answer for the people of the Kingdom. BUT, he also sees that Cersei and Euron would be even worse.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12671 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:

Here is the problem I have with that scene. Everyone remembers the battle with the NK's dragon flying straight up and emitting fire at the other two dragons correct? Now suddenly Daenerys can't fly above the range turn and fly straight down and hit the ships. They cannot fire straight up can they? The other issue that was overlooked is the recoil from those crossbows firing would have made the ships rock back and forth causing an inaccurate shot. But then again this is make it up as we go along GOT. What's to prevent her from attacking in the night? Can't see dragon at night? Rant over thank you.
post #12672 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:

Watching some of these videos from the user the moments that were meant to “hit” hit. It’s a different view from what you see sometimes posted online.
shivaji likes this.
post #12673 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
I really don't want to get into the tactics thing again, but cmon. All the ships were facing one direction. Circle around and blow fire up their sterns. Swivel or not, they arent going to shoot through the masts. I'm fine with it either way, I wasn't going to post anything about it until yours.
Plus the time it would take to turn one. Read my post about recoil. First lesson learned when inside a 52.5 ton tank!
mike1812 and Tack like this.
post #12674 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Dany likely just wanted to get to safety once she snapped out of the suicide charge, her instinct was to get my baby to safety now!

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

post #12675 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1040
Yep, as everyone knows who sails the high seas, the weakest part of the ship is at the stern, unless you have aerial support, then right over the top aint bad either. A very enjoyable episode. Sansa really shined, cool and calm, enjoyed her scene with the Hound. Almost waiting for her to turn into the Phoenix. As others have mentioned though, one just wishes that they had a bit more advanced scouting of whats lies around the corners.
mike1812, Tack and oneeyeblind like this.
post #12676 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Here is the problem I have with that scene. Everyone remembers the battle with the NK's dragon flying straight up and emitting fire at the other two dragons correct? Now suddenly Daenerys can't fly above the range turn and fly straight down and hit the ships. They cannot fire straight up can they? The other issue that was overlooked is the recoil from those crossbows firing would have made the ships rock back and forth causing an inaccurate shot. But then again this is make it up as we go along GOT. What's to prevent her from attacking in the night? Can't see dragon at night? Rant over thank you.

What’s “above their range” but still able to hit them with Fire? They showed that the ships had long range when they hit the other ships. I’m not sure “above” would work as I’ve seen many folks post. The ships from the sides and back would have her. As far as movement being “slow” outside of turning the ship being slower, the harpoons themselves were moved by 4 or so men each so the swivel action was fairly quick.

I’m not sure she was planning to attack at that moment as the bulk of her force is still two weeks away. This was a surprise attack/welcome home party. They may have been planning to attack at night originally, but now plans are again “in the wind” due to what Cersi did.

I’d recommend watching “Game Revealed” as they discuss how they made the harpoon for the ship.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12677 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The kickback happens after the projectile is gone, plus you have multiple ambush shots at once. Also, consider how tired they all are, Sansa was right, they needed rest. Rash decisions keep costing our heroes and Dany's lust for the throne was the culprit here.
Ph8te, oneeyeblind and Sweet Jimmy like this.

post #12678 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Plus the time it would take to turn one. Read my post about recoil. First lesson learned when inside a 52.5 ton tank!
yeah, i have to say, i wasn't one of the people complaining about the battle tactics in "the Long Night", but enough is enough with the stupidity of some of this.

i thought the episode on a whole was pretty bad. I agree w/ the NYT recap that having Jamie hookup with Brienne cheapens all of the respect they had built for one another. I mean Tormund needs that "big woman"...am i right?

last season it was kind of the same thing with how quickly Euron builds his fleet, how instantly, Dany gets from Dragonstone to north of The Wall, etc etc. I've never been "that fan" that really spent much time picking apart the details. I mean, there are dragons and zombies, suspension of disbelief...and what not.

but i dont know, i just thought the Dragonstone "ambush" was stupid (they didn't leave **anybody** at the castle who could warn them), plus the Scorpions have to fire in a straight line, which means they can't shoot at the same time as being hidden... I thought the "parley" was stupid.

The further it has gotten from the source material, perhaps the quality of the writing has degraded quite a bit. Last night was one of the worst episodes i can think of in the history of the series.
Sharp1080 and daryl zero like this.
post #12679 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
This reminds me of the scene from one of the Shrek movies where the giant gingerbread man demolished a Starbucks in the town and the patrons flee across the street into another Starbucks.
Starbucks cups? Cue Monty Python.
kilroyc likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #12680 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Starbucks cups? Cue Monty Python.
cardoski and Panson like this.
post #12681 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 09:02 AM

Here’s The Game Reveled for last nights episode. I always like seeing the behind the scenes work they do, especially the VFX and practical effects that they use. They sure do love real fire.

Cal1981, kyzer soze and cardoski like this.
post #12682 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Bran sees flashes of the past, present and future (as the Three-Eyed Raven his powers are probably even more strong now)...remember back in S4 he had a vision where he saw a dragon flying over King's Landing...since that hasn't happened yet that's probably Daenerys in the next episode when she invades/attacks...

skip to the 2:44 timestamp if you want to see the vision alone...

https://youtu.be/b6fq-elMOKg?t=164
A few things to consider:

Some people in that world are able to see the future, or a possible future (look into the fire and whatnot), but the power of the three eyed raven is about peering into the past and warging the present. Bran even mentions that he lives in the past now (which I believe the three eyed raven warned him about). However, if we're to examine Bran's vision, we could conclude it wasn't really a vision--it' was a message that was sent to him.

Also, I think King's Landing was built by the Targaryans, back when they still had dragons. So that, shadow of the dragon part, could still be a glimpse of the past. Or it could be that the three eyed raven is able to customize the imagery of his message to Bran, to show "what's coming" in the sense that he knows the Dragon Queen is planning on coming to Westeros.

I'm not seeing that message as conclusive proof that Bran's power includes the ability to peer into the future as he does the past. Plus I think the character said something to the effect that his power includes the past and present, but he didn't mention the future.

Edit:

Season 7 last episode:

Bran: "I can see things that happened in the past. I can see things happening now...all around the world."

It was the conversation with Samwell where they figure out Jon's true history.

thread closed

Last edited by JediMastr; 05-06-2019 at 09:16 AM.
post #12683 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Quote:
Goofs are commonplace in movies and TV shows. All it proves is that people making them are human like everyone else. Here's another example:

post #12684 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Personally once I stated watching via HBOGO for “live” watches, I haven’t gone back to cable/streaming the actual live version.
Same here. I watched last night's episode early on HBOGO from a FireTV Stick and then watched a few minutes of it on Comcast when it actually aired out here. HBOGO won hands down.
Ph8te and oneeyeblind like this.
post #12685 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
As you know, Varys is not a fan of Dany. The convo he and Tyrion had solidified that notion. I would not be surprised at all to find out that Varys is a spy for Cersei OR dislikes Dany enough that he is willing to give up info about their plans.
But...like...totally doesn't make any sense - to turn his back on Dany - especially without attempting to steer her rule (as Tyrion mentions) - just doesn't seem justified. He went all the way to Essos/Pentos and convinced Tyrion to join the Dany in over-taking Westeros...its like his grand plan. To simply turn his back now (when they are this close to meeting his objective) is basically throwing away everything that happened after Season 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John dhein View Post
Varys does not dislike Dany. He just sees that she is not the answer for the people of the Kingdom. BUT, he also sees that Cersei and Euron would be even worse.
But why would he just jump on the Jon train so fast? Because he is the rightful heir? We've seen time and again that Jon is just not that great of a leader...

I dunno...there's leaks out there and I think I may have read them. I'm not even upset at this point. Just make this story end.
PeterTHX likes this.

Josh
post #12686 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
But...like...totally doesn't make any sense - to turn his back on Dany - especially without attempting to steer her rule (as Tyrion mentions) - just doesn't seem justified. He went all the way to Essos/Pentos and convinced Tyrion to join the Dany in over-taking Westeros...its like his grand plan. To simply turn his back now (when they are this close to meeting his objective) is basically throwing away everything that happened after Season 4...

But why would he just jump on the Jon train so fast? Because he is the rightful heir? We've seen time and again that Jon is just not that great of a leader...

I dunno...there's leaks out there and I think I may have read them. I'm not even upset at this point. Just make this story end.
at her first council meeting at Dragonstone (season 6 ep 1??) he had a pretty direct conversation with her that is entirely consistent with his reaction here. The reason he went to Essos and all that is because he had to get out of King's Landing and knew they needed an alternative the Lannister (under the guise of Baratheon) dynasty.
Ph8te, oneeyeblind and cardoski like this.
post #12687 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 46
After a very long hiatus i return to this thread. I'm not one to nitpick a fantasy TV show so i have no issue with tactics/timelines etc. Given many of the overall themes of the show, getting bent out of shape about the lack of recoil on a giant crossbow on a boat while accepting dragons, warging and seeing through time seems rather silly lol. My thoughts on things so far and possibilities going forward;

Bran-I too, had felt that he was useless. His talent wasted while he continually let everyone die. I've since changed my mind on that. He's stated time and again he is no longer Bran Starck but the 3ER. As such, i believe, everything he has done has had a purpose. He alone orchestrated the defeat of the NK. Everything he did led to that end. So, over the last while if we look at everything he did as having a very specific purpose then i have to believe telling JS his heritage has important implications-not for himself but for the realm. How that works out i don't know. However, if Dany does go mad queen and JS has to put her down he also somewhat fulfills the prophesy of azor i think. I'll stress this point again-everything Bran says and does is for a reason-to manipulate future events.

Jaimie-I don't see his leaving WF and Brienne as running back to Cersei. I don't discount that possibility but i see him as very conflicted, not knowing what he wants or needs to do in KL but feeling he has to see this through till the end. I think the most likely outcome for him is to fulfill the witch's prophesy and kill Cersei.

Arya/Hound-The episode spent a great deal of time with close ups on Dany and those green eyes. Just Cersei and Dany with green eyes. Cersei, Mountain and hound only members left on Arya's list. Cleaganebowl is coming. Not sure how it ends but i could imagine a scenario that finds Arya helping out to kill the mountain and the hound being mortally wounded. This time Arya provides him the mercy killing striking the 2 from the list. Cersei? Dany? See above and below.

Dany/JS-speaking confidently on this is folly. I don't know. I believe the show has now gone to great lengths to show us Dany is cracking/has cracked and of course they've shown us time and again why she's not fit to rule. She could go full mad queen like i said above and JS takes her down and becomes king. I would prefer a scenario where at the last second she realizes what she's become and understands that to break the wheel, an equal "Council" needs to rule the Realm of which she would certainly be a part (along with JS and others from great houses left). To say i'm disappointed with Dany would be a vast understatement. She learns nothing. She has been witness to an insane amount of acts of loyalty and love-Jaimie for Cersei and his house then to the cause of the living, Theon to Yara and then to Sansa and the Starcks, JS for everyone lol, The freefolk, Brienne etc etc etc. To bear witness to all of this then still insist on coming into a land where no one knows you, loves you, likes you or really wants you and think you can both take the crown and then keep it? Frankly it's moronic. I really would like her to wake up before the end and be a part of the solution but think it's likely too late.

Tyrion/Varys-If we look at who should rule, does it get any better than Varys? Selfless, measured and wise. Not saying it would happen or could based on rules but he's better than anyone. Tyrion disappoints lately and i'm not sure why they have written him this way. He's been weak and made quite a few errors in judgement. I hope he can have a redeeming moment or 2 before the end. He has a hard decision to make as Varys basically stated he'd assassinate Dany rather than see her rule as yet another tyrant.

Sansa-I don't buy the whole Sansa as queen theory. I get she's become a phenomenal mind and strategist in that regard but everything she's done over the last 2 seasons has been for WF and the north-an independent north. I'm not sure if we're done with her yet or not but i believe that any part she may play going forward will be to that end-helping Jon achieve the crown ensuring that WF is free or any number of actions that protect WF sovereignty.

Feel free to critique or comment. The next episode is going to be epic and will be the one people were expecting from ep3 in terms of character deaths imo
pheroy, RobertR, mike1812 and 6 others like this.
post #12688 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I liked the episode.

I'm sad to say goodbye to Tormund. Have we said goodbye to Sam as well?
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12689 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
True that. When Jon was lauded as the king at the dinner and Dany looked around and saw all of the 'buddy-buddy' conversations going on, you could see the paranoia beginning to set in. When she left in a bit of a huff, Varys immediately took note of what that could represent. I'm sure that he saw signs of the Taragaryen family trait of madness starting to emerge, which, in part, was a factor in his discussion with Tyrion about her not sitting on the iron throne. By next weeks episode, a lot of people in the North are going to know that Jon is the true heir to the throne. This won't end well for either auntie or her nephew. They didn't show it but can we assume that the Scorpion devices are on turrets surrounding King's Landing? If so, there shouldn't be a way for Dany to use Drogon to lay fire down on the city. If not, unless Drogon could fly in from the rear without his usual roaring, he would still be an easy target. Even with Messande's last "burn it down" yell and Dany's rage, Drogon may be effectively neutralized. Maybe there's a way to knock the turrets out but I can't imagine that (unless Poe Dameron shows up in his X-Wing fighter to take them out )

Emilia Clarke said on Jimmy Kimmel last week that episode 5 is going to be bigger and more epic than episode 3 and that you should find the biggest TV that you can to watch it. I knew that a 65" set was gonna be too small at some point.
oneeyeblind likes this.

Last edited by Cal1981; 05-06-2019 at 10:20 AM.
post #12690 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Yeah overall a rough episode, but it gave us Tormund's great line,

"Which of you cowards **** in my pants?!"

Next week will be a doozy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page