'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 424 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7099Likes

post #12691 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6255 Post(s)
Liked: 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
Maybe I'm a simpleton, but I liked the episode.

I'm sad to say goodbye to Tormund. Have we said goodbye to Sam as well?

I believe so, the goodbyes were “goodbyes”.
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12692 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Well, the Scorpions are made of wood it seems, a little night time dragon flyby, once around the castle walls, should have them all nicely torched, for any daytime battle plans. Might not be a bad idea afterwards, to go burn those ships down too.
Russell Burrows and mik2h like this.
post #12693 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
Well, the Scorpions are made of wood it seems, a little night time dragon flyby, once around the castle walls, should have them all nicely torched, for any daytime battle plans. Might not be a bad idea afterwards, to go burn those ships down too.
Yup, nighttime or fog/cloudy skies should do it.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12694 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 10:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I enjoyed the episode very much and don't have some of the issues that others have. Or at least the nitpicks I do have don't bother me much.

1. I understand Cersei not filling Tyrion full of arrows before Messandei is killed but I can't imagine her NOT filling him with arrows after.
2. I agree with others that Dany should have seen Euron's ships but okay, I can live with it.
3. I agree with others that Dany should have circled around/above his ships and tried to damage them. The scorpions can swivel 360 degrees but I don't think they can point straight up.
4. I understand Jamie leaving Brienne to return to Cersei. He has feelings for Brienne but a life-long love for Cersei.

Did anyone else have a flashback to Pulp Fiction when Bronn was pointing the crossbow at Jamie's head? I didn't expect Jamie to die but damn, all I could see was SLJ and Travolta driving down the road chatting with the gun pointed at the kids head in the back seat and boom!

Sony A1E OLED | Yamaha RX-A1060 | Sony UBP-X800 | PS4 | ATV4
B&W 684 S2 | HTM61 S2 | SVS SB12-NSD
post #12695 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by lax01 View Post
But...like...totally doesn't make any sense - to turn his back on Dany - especially without attempting to steer her rule (as Tyrion mentions) - just doesn't seem justified. He went all the way to Essos/Pentos and convinced Tyrion to join the Dany in over-taking Westeros...its like his grand plan. To simply turn his back now (when they are this close to meeting his objective) is basically throwing away everything that happened after Season 4...

But why would he just jump on the Jon train so fast? Because he is the rightful heir? We've seen time and again that Jon is just not that great of a leader...

I dunno...there's leaks out there and I think I may have read them. I'm not even upset at this point. Just make this story end.

You assume his main plan is to make Dany the ruler at all costs. As he says (and keeps saying) the realm is what he serves. The people of the realm is who he serves.

He has consistently worked for / worked against people he thought weak for the realm. As he noted when he talked to Ned Stark, he could have helped him but would not when he was sentenced to death.

In very similar circumstances, he risked his life and position to make sure Tyrion lived. He has been alongside Tyrion much of the way, and has observed him. If I were to put the realm in someone's hands, I'd watch them closely.

I'm sure he believes Dany is a strong possibility for a good ruler, but in my theories (and wild speculation), I think Tyrion fits his idea of a just and good ruler much more than Dany or Jon.

Just my opinion, though - ready to be blown up by the next episode like my dream of Missandei and Grey worm riding off into the beach sunset.
shivaji, Tack, oneeyeblind and 1 others like this.
post #12696 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
Yeah overall a rough episode, but it gave us Tormund's great line,

"Which of you cowards **** in my pants?!"

Next week will be a doozy!
i think this cost him any shot with Brienne, LOL
Tack, oneeyeblind, hernanu and 2 others like this.
post #12697 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 11:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked: 1422
In the Temeraire book series (an alternate history of the Napoleonic wars with dragons!), the air corps atop dragons would fly high above the range of canon fire and drop incendiary devices on ships and entrenched firing positions. Very effective. The only risk was the enemy's dragons flying above to protect those positions, which in this case would be none.
Sharp1080, shivaji and oneeyeblind like this.
post #12698 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 11:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I'm seriously getting tired of the "Euron suprise attack" plot device:
  • "Surprises" Yara's fleet where he captured Ellaria/Sand Snakes
  • "Surprises" The Unsullied fleet when they attacked Casterly Rock
  • "Surprises" Daenerys fleet when they arrive at King's landing

Did I miss any? Do they ever learn?

Brandon is basically useless, because he never volunteers useful, DETAILED information that he may know about, and no one seems to bother to ask him.
post #12699 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 2805
I think Jamie might be going, so he can try to stop Cersai.
Leftcoastdave and oneeyeblind like this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #12700 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 664
If anything, this episode has managed to turn everything we (almost) got used to into upheaval. I enjoyed the episode, I enjoyed the transition from apocalyptic to mourning, then to cheer, and ultimately what it became. I approach the supposed Mad Queen theories with some skepticism, much as how the show nearly had us convinced last season that Arya was going after Sansa.

I loved how the Rhaegal event and supporting action was so thrown in your face. I was convinced the mast splashing down on Tyrion was roll credits time. I was overjoyed when it continued on. I appreciate the payoffs we are getting, and I know more are to come.
post #12701 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 12:07 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
I enjoyed the episode very much and don't have some of the issues that others have. Or at least the nitpicks I do have don't bother me much.

1. I understand Cersei not filling Tyrion full of arrows before Messandei is killed but I can't imagine her NOT filling him with arrows after.
2. I agree with others that Dany should have seen Euron's ships but okay, I can live with it.
3. I agree with others that Dany should have circled around/above his ships and tried to damage them. The scorpions can swivel 360 degrees but I don't think they can point straight up.
4. I understand Jamie leaving Brienne to return to Cersei. He has feelings for Brienne but a life-long love for Cersei.

Did anyone else have a flashback to Pulp Fiction when Bronn was pointing the crossbow at Jamie's head? I didn't expect Jamie to die but damn, all I could see was SLJ and Travolta driving down the road chatting with the gun pointed at the kids head in the back seat and boom!
What about Messandei grabbing Cersei when she was next to her and jumping off the wall with her?
post #12702 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOA View Post
What about Messandei grabbing Cersei when she was next to her and jumping off the wall with her?
That would have been Epic.
Russell Burrows likes this.
post #12703 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
Quote:
Messandei's hands were shackled so grabbing Cersei would have been difficult. The only time that Cersei got close enough was when she told Messandei to say her last words. Maybe Messandei could have dropped low enough to get behind Cersei and nudge her forward but that still would have been tough and would have required a clarity of thought that wasn't likely at that second. It would have been nice to see but, OTOH, the last two episodes would have been pretty dull . I agree with some others about Jamie ending Cersei. Jamie is a much different man that he was and fought side by side with the Starks, Dany and the North in the battle for humanity. Perhaps, given that, he has no desire to see his sister, who betrayed him and everyone else, end up imposing a reign of terror on the survivors of the battle. Also, his bedding of Brienne struck me as more than just another conquest or casual act. Maybe I'm giving Jamie more credit than he deserves but I guess we'll know after the next two weeks.
adpayne, oneeyeblind and mik2h like this.
post #12704 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
It would have, but still far less satisfying than a surprise sword strike from Jaime, a dagger thrust from Arya or a crossbow shot from Tyrion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG
Now I'll never be able to see that scene without thinking about Pulp Fiction. "You've got to have an opinion", says Bronn right before an accidentally shot arrow pins Jaime's head to the post behind him.
Russell Burrows likes this.
post #12705 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 12:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 385
I enjoyed the episode but did not catch the Starbucks gaffe..Was that a latte?

post #12706 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 01:05 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4478 Post(s)
Liked: 5874
Quote:

Especially for Euron. Free Kingdom - No child support.

"Dude! We should totally take those giant crossbows hunting!"
post #12707 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I think Jamie might be going, so he can try to stop Cersai.
I don't think that's exactly why he's going (though he might think he can reign her in) but I think that's what ends up happening.
Ph8te, oneeyeblind and cardoski like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #12708 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I don't think that's exactly why he's going (though he might think he can reign her in) but I think that's what ends up happening.

It would go against what the actor has said about his (Jamie’s) motivations were for leaving as well.
post #12709 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Quote:

She was chained with The Mountain right behind her. It didn't seem plausible. Plus, what a weak way to end the story so no, it didn't bother me that it didn't happen.

Sony A1E OLED | Yamaha RX-A1060 | Sony UBP-X800 | PS4 | ATV4
B&W 684 S2 | HTM61 S2 | SVS SB12-NSD
post #12710 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 01:58 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
She was chained with The Mountain right behind her. It didn't seem plausible. Plus, what a weak way to end the story so no, it didn't bother me that it didn't happen.
She had shackles on, which probably would have helped stay connected to Cersei if she gotten her arms over Cersei's head, but after the sword swipe, her body fell freely off the wall. At one point Cersei was standing right next to her. Maybe The Mountain could have move fast enough? Even if she didn’t succeed, she tried.
shivaji likes this.
post #12711 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6845 Post(s)
Liked: 15383
As usual Tormund stole the show. Overall I quite enjoyed this episode. Although I think they're rushing things. Wish they would have done a full season and taken more time. But it is what it is, and I'm all in.
oneeyeblind, lokilarry and mik2h like this.

post #12712 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
Hated how they (or he) are/is suddenly crazy sniper like accuracy with a massive crossbow on a ship, in rough seas, at a flying dragon that is moving, with air resistance, wind, etc. He sure learned to fire that thing perfectly in short time. Not once, but twice.
oneeyeblind, kilroyc and mik2h like this.

post #12713 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked: 2152
So is Rhaegal dead for sure? I was thinking, the shots looked disgustingly bad, pierced through the body and right through the neck but was just wondering because Cersei asks him if he is sure about the dragon being dead and he said he saw it go into the water. Seemed odd they brought it up like that asking if he was sure. And then in the preview you hear a dragon and he looks to the sky, with a shocked expression like maybe he is shocked it came back.

I know, just my wishing since I love the dragons in this show but I'm not giving up hope.

post #12714 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I am going to post this and quickly bounce out of this thread...

Do you expect a quick release of all the seasons on 4K UHD?

I have never seen the show and I feel like it deserves 4K UHD watching. I know S1 has been released, but want the other seasons as well.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12715 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post

I have never seen the show and I feel like it deserves 4K UHD watching. I know S1 has been released, but want the other seasons as well.

Season 8 already has the preorder up. We all hope for a complete set or individual of all seasons, but nothing has been announced yet.
oneeyeblind and gocubs418 like this.
post #12716 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs418 View Post

I'm sure HBO wants to milk this thing for all its worth...
oneeyeblind likes this.

Josh
post #12717 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
So is Rhaegal dead for sure? I was thinking, the shots looked disgustingly bad, pierced through the body and right through the neck but was just wondering because Cersei asks him if he is sure about the dragon being dead and he said he saw it go into the water. Seemed odd they brought it up like that asking if he was sure. And then in the preview you hear a dragon and he looks to the sky, with a shocked expression like maybe he is shocked it came back.

I know, just my wishing since I love the dragons in this show but I'm not giving up hope.
That did seem much too violent for it not to be a death, but it could very well be a misdirect.

A dragon death on this show is much harder to accept than a human death. I'm not quite sure what that says about me and others who feel that way.
oneeyeblind, kilroyc and WilliamR like this.
post #12718 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4110 Post(s)
Liked: 3669
Game of Thrones art director says coffee cup gaffe is being “blown out of proportion”

For the second week in a row, Game of Throne’s creative staff have come under fire...whereas last week’s battle royale was so dark it could barely be seen, last night’s episode included an unexpected cameo from a rogue coffee cup...in a statement to Variety, GOT art director Hauke Richter said the gaffe is being “blown out of proportion [because] it has not happened with Thrones so far”...Richter also spoke to TMZ and reiterated that it was an innocent mistake...“We are usually so diligent that this does not happen,” Richter explained. “The shoot was very hard and demanding and it is likely that after a very tiring episode three shoot, this was simply overlooked by an exhausted crew.”

Richter also clarified that the cup was not from Starbucks, but rather from a local coffee shop in Banbridge, Northern Ireland, where the episode films...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...181629872.html
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12719 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Hated how they (or he) are/is suddenly crazy sniper like accuracy with a massive crossbow on a ship, in rough seas, at a flying dragon that is moving, with air resistance, wind, etc. He sure learned to fire that thing perfectly in short time. Not once, but twice.
Check this part out.

"With the advent of other medieval siege weapons, like the smaller ballista called a Springald, the more precise crossbow, and most notably the trebuchet, ballistae eventually fell into obscurity, but it never disappeared completely. In our real world you'll likely only find these ancient weapons faithfully recreated in a museum, maybe a few time-worn parts if you're lucky, but Game of Thrones and other fantasy fiction (whether 100 percent accurate or not) appears dedicated to preserving the memory of this deadly weapons 1,700-year reign.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12720 of 13717 Old 05-06-2019, 03:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4110 Post(s)
Liked: 3669
Internet sleuths think they’ve found the culprit behind the coffee cup that found its way into Sunday’s “Game of Thrones”— the actress who plays Sansa Stark...fans on Reddit noted Monday that fellow actress Bella Ramsey posted a photo of Sophie Turner gripping a similar to-go cup of Starbucks coffee to her Instagram account late last month...

https://nypost.com/2019/05/06/game-o...ffee-cup-goof/
oneeyeblind likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page