'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 426 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7099Likes

post #12751 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
And let's not forget that Euron knows only too well of Cersei and Jamie's relationship. Has to be one of the best scenes of the series.
Yeah, Euron doesn't care that Cersei slept with her brother. He finds that amusing. However, he will care if the heir to the throne is Jaime's, and there's no way he'll roll over and play along with the deception that it's his child.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12752 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I think Jamie might be going, so he can try to stop Cersai.
Wasn't he going same way as Arya and Hound. If so, nice chance for Arya to take his face...

bobby94928 and cardoski like this.
post #12753 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Plus when talking about her dragon Danny said did you not see my child fall from the sky (or something similar). She never said they killed my child, did you see how they killed my child, etc. When the Night King shot down the other one she was very grief stricken for a while, she talked about how they killed her child, etc. This time she is not mourning and simply says it fell out of the sky.

Plus what is Euron shocked at seeing? He has seen dragons before, etc.

Hmmmmm.
Looked to me like Drogon was attacking from the sun position (placing yourself between the sun and your target). This would make him extremely difficult to track visually. That shocked look is Euron realizing that his goose is cooked. Actually, it's pretty big spoiler if it plays out as previewed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12754 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snafu68 View Post
Wasn't he going same way as Arya and Hound. If so, nice chance for Arya to take his face...

Just watch to see if "Jamie" uses his right hand.
RxpSGR, Tack and Snafu68 like this.
post #12755 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
That did seem much too violent for it not to be a death, but it could very well be a misdirect.

A dragon death on this show is much harder to accept than a human death. I'm not quite sure what that says about me and others who feel that way.
My MIL can be watching the news and see stories about children being raped, hurricanes/wildfires destroying towns, multi-car pile ups, etc.

But they're run a story about a duckling being lost and she's like "Ohhh poor little ducky . . . "
Montucky likes this.
post #12756 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4101 Post(s)
Liked: 3656
On Tuesday, HBO confirmed to USA TODAY that it had it digitally removed the decidedly non-medieval, paper Starbucks coffee cup from the feast scene in Episode 4, "The Last of the Starks."...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...up/1116485001/
post #12757 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Had a feeling I'd seen Aryas knife drop before, and then I watched The Last Jedi again on the fourth.

post #12758 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward74 View Post
Had a feeling I'd seen Aryas knife drop before, and then I watched The Last Jedi again on the fourth.

https://youtu.be/jiSIOoUyu1E

I mean they have shown us the drop/switch in show before as well...

And for SW geeks

Tack, Onward74 and cardoski like this.

Last edited by Ph8te; 05-07-2019 at 04:26 PM.
post #12759 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischaos View Post
Jaimie-I don't see his leaving WF and Brienne as running back to Cersei. I don't discount that possibility but i see him as very conflicted, not knowing what he wants or needs to do in KL but feeling he has to see this through till the end. I think the most likely outcome for him is to fulfill the witch's prophesy and kill Cersei.

Sansa-I don't buy the whole Sansa as queen theory. I get she's become a phenomenal mind and strategist in that regard but everything she's done over the last 2 seasons has been for WF and the north-an independent north. I'm not sure if we're done with her yet or not but i believe that any part she may play going forward will be to that end-helping Jon achieve the crown ensuring that WF is free or any number of actions that protect WF sovereignty.

Jamie - was there something specific in the prophecy about her death? I don't dislike anyone's theory so far. But, what I think after reading a bunch of the recent comments is he is going to kill her. I am reminded of his conversation with Brienne, when they were in a tub, I believe. He described his killing of the mad king. I feel like he will take on the responsibility of killing her and then either killing himself, or allowing himself to be killed.

Sansa - I don't know if you're responding to someone in this threading theorizing her to be queen or just some net theory. I feel her actions for Winterfell all line up just fine. She even asked Dany, what's her plan with Winterfell after she secures the throne. We never saw any response. Maybe they actually came to some agreement. But, Sansa was right, they vowed never to bend the knee. Jon isn't in control of WF, she is. Who knows what's happening...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
True that. When Jon was lauded as the king at the dinner and Dany looked around and saw all of the 'buddy-buddy' conversations going on, you could see the paranoia beginning to set in. When she left in a bit of a huff, Varys immediately took note of what that could represent. I'm sure that he saw signs of the Taragaryen family trait of madness starting to emerge, which, in part, was a factor in his discussion with Tyrion about her not sitting on the iron throne....
I took that a different way. Not as paranoia, but a realization. She's seeing how hard it is being a woman in their world. As much as she has done, they still only respect men. Or respect men on a disproportionate level. Also it could be taken as her realization that Jon is becoming her opponent.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #12760 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

I took that a different way. Not as paranoia, but a realization. She's seeing how hard it is being a woman in their world. As much as she has done, they still only respect men. Or respect men on a disproportionate level. Also it could be taken as her realization that Jon is becoming her opponent.
I definitely don't see the gender connection. Just a Jon vs a stranger thing.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk
post #12761 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4468 Post(s)
Liked: 5863
Arya's got waay better moves, not to mention about a million times more likable than one note Daisy Ridley.
cardoski likes this.
post #12762 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
On Tuesday, HBO confirmed to USA TODAY that it had it digitally removed the decidedly non-medieval, paper Starbucks coffee cup from the feast scene in Episode 4, "The Last of the Starks."...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...up/1116485001/
Not Starbucks, and apparently Sansa placed the offending cup next to Dany to frame her 🙂
adpayne and allargon like this.

post #12763 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 2803
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Arya's got waay better moves, not to mention about a million times more likable than one note Daisy Ridley.
Ya Arya is a fantastic character, well developed, one of my favorite of the series.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #12764 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 07:09 PM
KOA
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 141
I wonder if Tyrion is going to get a chance to kill someone important with one of those crossbows (Scorpion)?
post #12765 of 13717 Old 05-07-2019, 10:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post
Not Starbucks, and apparently Sansa placed the offending cup next to Dany to frame her 🙂
It's in front of Jon's seat. He wants the thrown afterall.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #12766 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 67
What happened to the sea surrounding Kings Landing.?

It did look look is an outpost in the desert 😁

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...sappeared.html
post #12767 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked: 3645
The old standard and commonly used "Beat the Good Guys Down so it Appears the Bad Guys are Winning" concept seems to be in full bloom ..

After all the years of Dedication, 4 viewings of all previous Seasons, 3 readings of all Books, consumption of all of Mr Martins Peripheral Material, an expensive copy of Longclaw as well as a set of 3 Dragon Eggs residing in my HT room .. it's come down to this .. a shadow of former Glory, where the nuance becomes more of an in your face fast track to the End in the next 2 episodes .. highlighted by a Starbucks cup .. "The Girl Must Be Caffeinated" ..

The show I placed on a pedestal, firmly believing it would be the pinnacle of TV both now and in the Future ..

Beloved shows seem to always face a dilemma as they approach the Finale, fans have come to expect so, so much over the course of years .. it's tough to wrap it up .. it's even more tough when the rich material you started with ended up being an "outline" ..

I'll admit my expectations were very high, perhaps way to high .. and, of course, I'm still in it big time .. it just seems a bit of mediocrity has crept in .. I suppose, unable to be avoided .. HBO / B&W are ready to move on .. I guess the problem is, I was not ..

Here's to the final two episodes .. may they help recapture that portion of my Old Brain that lived in wonder and fascination at the fantastic Universe of Characters that unfolded over the years ..

Sadly, I have begun to feel the slipping away of an Old Friend .. and, with that, the feeling that, in many ways, I'll be glad when it's a wrap .. just don't, please, please, don't give me a lumberjack living in Oregon ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #12768 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
The old standard and commonly used "Beat the Good Guys Down so it Appears the Bad Guys are Winning" concept seems to be in full bloom ..

After all the years of Dedication,
Spoiler!

Here's to the final two episodes .. may they help recapture that portion of my Old Brain that lived in wonder and fascination at the fantastic Universe of Characters that unfolded over the years ..

Sadly, I have begun to feel the slipping away of an Old Friend .. and, with that, the feeling that, in many ways, I'll be glad when it's a wrap .. just don't, please, please, don't give me a lumberjack living in Oregon ..
Not sure what you have against lumberjacks...

post #12769 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernanu View Post
Not sure what you have against lumberjacks...

It’s a reference to
Spoiler!
put this in tags since it’s an unrelated show.
gwsat and hernanu like this.
post #12770 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
'Game of Thrones' Delivers More Massive Ratings for "The Last of the Starks"
By Rick Porter, The Hollywood Reporter - May 7, 2019

Following the record-setting numbers for the Battle of Winterfell, ratings for Game of Thrones retreated just a tiny bit in the final season's fourth episode.

Sunday's installment of the HBO juggernaut, "The Last of the Starks," featured the dawn of a new battle (and an errant coffee cup). It drew 11.8 million viewers for its first airing, down a scant 2 percent from the previous week.

The April 28 episode, "The Long Night," drew the show's second-largest initial audience ever (12.02 million viewers) on its way to a single-night record of 17.8 million after replays and streaming. That figure surpassed the 17.4 million for the season eight premiere on April 14.

The 11.8 million who tuned in Sunday is the third-most in the series' history for an initial airing, behind only the season seven finale (12.07 million) and the previous week.

Streaming figures for Sunday's episode and the season to date will be added to this post as they become available.

Over the first three episodes of the season, replays and same-night streaming have increased the initial audience by an average of just over 50 percent. If that pattern holds for Sunday's show, "The Last of the Starks" will end up just shy of the previous week's record.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...l-huge-1208273

post #12771 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2265 Post(s)
Liked: 894
How many seasons ago did Dany assemble that giant army, before she crossed the sea?

THey could have ended the show shortly after she crossed over.

But they milked it for a few more seasons and then they had to steadily weaken her forces. The first was losing that dragon on a stupid mission to try to convince Cersei.

If they never lost that first dragon, the NK can't cross over can he? So in a way, the NK was just another obstacle to weaken her forces before this Last Battle.

Otherwise, there would be little suspense about the outcome.

Presumably Martin was on board with all of this. He might not have had it unfold the exact same ways, that is the need to have a certain about of hours of TV shows, but I would presume even he wouldn't have had a one-sided battle for the Iron Throne.
post #12772 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post
What happened to the sea surrounding Kings Landing.?

It did look look is an outpost in the desert 😁

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...sappeared.html
You know, this bothered me when I was watching the episode, but only subconsciously. Now that it's pointed out, it's obvious and now I know why the scene felt so wrong. It's like they were all back in Qarth or something.
shivaji and Tack like this.
post #12773 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
How many seasons ago did Dany assemble that giant army, before she crossed the sea?

But they milked it for a few more seasons and then they had to steadily weaken her forces. The first was losing that dragon on a stupid mission to try to convince Cersei.

If they never lost that first dragon, the NK can't cross over can he? So in a way, the NK was just another obstacle to weaken her forces before this Last Battle.

Presumably Martin was on board with all of this. He might not have had it unfold the exact same ways, that is the need to have a certain about of hours of TV shows, but I would presume even he wouldn't have had a one-sided battle for the Iron Throne.
Considering RR refused to write any episodes for this season I wouldn't presume he was ok with the direction of the show. I could be wrong though, he might love it.
John dhein likes this.
post #12774 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 09:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 664 Post(s)
Liked: 626
I've lost all hope for a brilliant resolution.

My breaking point was when after a wonderful scene where Samwell gives his family Valarian steel sword to Ser Jorah, who says; "I wield it in his memory, to guard the realms of men".
To which Sam replies; "I'll see you when it's through" and begins to walk away.

and THAT is where the scene should end, but NO! Someone decided that Sam needs to turn and say "I hope we win".

NO S#IT??? You mean you don't want all that you love to be over run by a ravaging horde of the undead?

Only to be raised by the Night King to join the horde in destroying the remainder of humankind????

Well, thanks for clearing that up.....
rossi46 likes this.
post #12775 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2849 Post(s)
Liked: 3645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
You know, this bothered me when I was watching the episode, but only subconsciously. Now that it's pointed out, it's obvious and now I know why the scene felt so wrong. It's like they were all back in Qarth or something.
Yep, I would greatly appreciate some idea of where, exactly, The Bad Guys were congregating .. it looked like Dorne or Essos ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 05-08-2019 at 09:53 AM.
post #12776 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2265 Post(s)
Liked: 894
I've heard that a lot of the scenes of KL was actually filmed on the island of Malta, specifically a medieval walled city of Rabat.

I visited Malta last year and the buildings definitely look like KL. But Rabat is not surrounded by ocean at all. There are other cities on the island which are by the coast but there are a lot of modern buildings there.

Obviously they merged close shots of buildings and alleys with wide shots which use a lot of CGI.

Also saw the place in northern Spain which was used for Dragonstone. There is the bridge out of that island, with the long winding path up to the top of the island, where there's a church, not a castle.

Production designers really know how to meld the real with the digital.
post #12777 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post

The NK was able to cross because he touched Bran (T3ER). That touch not only allows him (TNK) to “track him”but it also breaks enchantments Hold the Door episode. Once Bran crosses The Wall he broke the Enchantments on the wall that were preventing TNK from crossing it. Viseryion allowed him to bring down the wall in dramatic fashion.
post #12778 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3781 Post(s)
Liked: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
Considering RR refused to write any episodes for this season I wouldn't presume he was ok with the direction of the show. I could be wrong though, he might love it.
Martin also hasn't written any new novels in eight years. I guess he's not OK with the direction of those either...
StormCrow and adpayne like this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #12779 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yep, I would greatly appreciate some idea of where, exactly, The Bad Guys were congregating .. it looked like Dorne or Essos ..

It’s is guessed that there was a receding of the sea that allowed for the scene we saw last episode due to the winter that came upon them.
post #12780 of 13717 Old 05-08-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Martin also hasn't written any new novels in eight years. I guess he's not OK with the direction of those either...
Loved Neil Gaiman's take on George R.R. writing or not writing.
Ph8te likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page