'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 430 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7099Likes

post #12871 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
2nd season. It is good, I guess it squeaks in.
Please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12872 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
Fire and Blood is that good?...I hear it's more of a history book rather then a typical story...
Wouldn't say "THAT good"...but it seems the show has totally forgotten about the mythology and history of Westeros and all the families. F&B, at least the first 50 pages which cover Aegon's Conquest is a refreshing reminder that there are more people in Westeros than just the Starks and the Lannisters. It is odd to read the story and not hear it from a character's perspective like ASOIF but its still pretty interesting.

It also shows how incredibly dominate the Dragons are...which they have now nerfed in the show (which is pretty obnoxious). Aegon basically conquers Westeros with 3 dragons and a small army
oneeyeblind and TitusTroy like this.

Josh
post #12873 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 07:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4105 Post(s)
Liked: 3663
I liked that episode a lot...some great visuals...CleganeBowl lived up to the hype...I loved the ending to Jamie and Cersei's story- they deserved to die together...throughout the show they've always been together so it's only fitting that they go out together...I was a bit disappointed in that I was expecting more twists and surprises (4th dragon?)...to see Drogon just annihilate the entire naval fleet and all the scorpion crossbows was a bit silly...if it was that easy then why not do that last week after Rhaegal was killed...I also thought Daenerys turning evil was a bit anticlimactic

the show is playing it too safe and not delivering any real surprises...I've read so many cooler fan theories...that being said it was a very good episode
gwsat, Ph8te and oneeyeblind like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12874 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6253 Post(s)
Liked: 5880
Judging from the reactions I see, people are going to rain fire down upon this episode.

While a tad underwhelming there are some standout cinematography in this episode, especially when following Arya through the destruction. The Clegenbowl was well done and ended in a fitting way for both characters. Emilia Clarke continues to do well with the emotional expressions. The Jamie/Euron battle also gets a thumbs up.

Now saying the above, the getting to the battle was a tad too far for me. Daeny being able to destroy all of the scorpions the way she did pushed that limit when they had set up how dangerous they are in previous episodes. Jaime surviving as long as he did also pressed the limits since he was near death one moment and moving “freely” the next after finding Cersi. Tyrion again pushing for peace, even when Jamie says it’s not going to happen, was a bit too much as well.

Part of this was they hype up to this battle was a lot. Once Daeny went h.a.m. on scorpions it was all but a wrap for the battle. It deflated the actual battle and was unexpected which isn’t always a bad thing. The way Jaime and Cersi went out was surprising and subverted what I and many folks would happen, again not bad, but subversion will always make you go hmmm.

I’m going to have to watch this one again with expectations in check. Daeny may not be long for this world now, but now I’m trying to think of wheat I think may happen and what will probably happen.
LL3HD, oneeyeblind and TitusTroy like this.
post #12875 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 319
Too safe? Not sure I need anymore big twists at this point; just solid endings for the main character arcs.

I thought it was an excellent episode but not sure how I feel about
Spoiler!
I expected something more in line with the various theories from the books.

Spoiler!
TitusTroy and fpileggi like this.

Sony A1E OLED | Yamaha RX-A1060 | Sony UBP-X800 | PS4 | ATV4
B&W 684 S2 | HTM61 S2 | SVS SB12-NSD
post #12876 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
While a tad underwhelming there are some standout cinematography in this episode, especially when following Arya through the destruction. The Clegenbowl was well done and ended in a fitting way for both characters. Emilia Clarke continues to do well with the emotional expressions. The Jamie/Euron battle also gets a thumbs up.
yes the cinematography was first rate...Arya standing in the ashes, Drogon's destruction of the city, Mountain vs Hound fight etc...Miguel Sapochnik redeemed himself after the disappointing Battle of Winterfell...
mike1812 and oneeyeblind like this.
post #12877 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
Too safe? Not sure I need anymore big twists at this point; just solid endings for the main character arcs.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

I think it made total sense. This character arc began in season 1. She has always been crueler then she needed to be to her enemies. The whole "die screaming" thing sounded like a cool catch phrase but if you really thought about it it displayed her true nature.

She made a decision before the battle started that the only way she would get everyone behind her was fear. When she heard the bells indicating surrender she had a look of disappointment. She was being denied her true revenge along with showing everyone why they need to fear and bow to her.

I'm glad the writers had the guts to stick with the character arc. I was worried that they would be worried about pissing off fans of the character.

XBL Gamertag - PVT Hicks
post #12878 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
as far as a bittersweet ending...I never thought the books would end with the usual good guys defeat the bad guys and live happily ever after...that's too much of a typical fantasy trope...so I always expected GRRM to do something different?...Daenerys wins?...I think bittersweet means it's not going to be the ending most people expect...although it sure looks like that's what the show is going for with Daenerys turning into the Mad Queen and Jon and company set to defeat her...please I hope that's not how the show ends...that's not how A Song of Ice and Fire should end
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12879 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Spoiler!
I expected something more in line with the various theories from the books...
as far as the books...I think most people expect either Jamie or Tyrion to kill Cersei...the show handled the Maggy the Frog prophecy differently...on the show it was mostly to foreshadow the deaths of all her children...in the books something else was added-
Spoiler!
...that part was left out of the show so I think they handled Cersei's death about as well as they could
Ph8te and oneeyeblind like this.
post #12880 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3176 Post(s)
Liked: 1782
looks like everyone down south gonna kill each other and sansa wins
oneeyeblind and Lp85253 like this.

Power: Marantz sr7008, NAD C 275Bee x 2, Video: Oppo 103, Samsung 75un6300
Speakers: Focal aria 948, Focal cc900, Klipsch synergy KSF 10.5 Subs: Rythmik FV25HP, Rythmik FV15HP
post #12881 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
yes the cinematography was first rate...Arya standing in the ashes, Drogon's destruction of the city, Mountain vs Hound fight etc...Miguel Sapochnik redeemed himself after the disappointing Battle of Winterfell...

The scene when Arya steps up in the smoke and he was silhouetted was maybe one of the best single shots of the season. Totally agree about MS.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12882 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked: 2803
Breathtaking. I have nothing to complain about.
gwsat, Ph8te, TitusTroy and 2 others like this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Little Dot hybrid tube amp with GE tubes.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #12883 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 08:17 PM

Almost forgot there WAS more dragon fire and that just added to the destruction. The fx crew and RD on music have done an amazing job for this series. It amazes me watching The Game Revealed how much practical effects (especially the buildings) they use.
cardoski likes this.
post #12884 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
Well, I for one thought that Cersei was nuts and that Dany's dragon could easily take out the defenses.

I'm just having a hard time buying the indiscriminate destruction from Danaerys and Drogon. I know they made her crazy because they showed her without makeup. A woman is crazy when she does not have makeup on and psychotic when she smears lipstick on her face (movie scripts 101).

I could have understood her going after the Red Keep but she was going after anyone including her own soldiers. Yeah, it made horrible scenes of slaughter but it didn't feel true to me. All this happened way too fast after the war against the NK where Danaerys brought her own armies to help the north.

I'm not exactly sure why Jon is acting halfway romantic with Dany and then giving her blue dragon balls. Doesn't he know that a woman scorned scorches the earth? Hasn't he seen Fatal Attraction?

The actual battle was over in 10 minutes. The Golden Company became the Golden Brown Company and the Iron Fleet became the Ironed Fleet. King's Landing became King's Flashing.

Clegane Bowl was a sister kisser. Boo, I thought the knife through the head might do it.

Arya became chicken little. I'm not sure why she forced the mother and child out into the dangerous street. But she found a unicorn at the end.

Cersei turned into Lady Macbeth. Jamie of the two stab wounds didn't let Euron kill him. He'd much rather die from falling debris.

And Dany's army seems to have magically tripled after the battle (previews). She is now queen of the ashes.

The big loser? Tyrion. Everything he touches turns to ash and mud.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #12885 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I'm just having a hard time buying the indiscriminate destruction from Danaerys and Drogon. I know they made her crazy because they showed her without makeup. A woman is crazy when she does not have makeup on and psychotic when she smears lipstick on her face (movie scripts 101).

I could have understood her going after the Red Keep but she was going after anyone including her own soldiers. Yeah, it made horrible scenes of slaughter but it didn't feel true to me. All this happened way too fast after the war against the NK where Danaerys brought her own armies to help the north.

The actual battle was over in 10 minutes. The Golden Company became the Golden Brown Company and the Iron Fleet became the Ironed Fleet. King's Landing became King's Flashing
the Golden Company was totally mis-used and wasted on the show...why even bother with them?...they literally did nothing important...their leader, Harry Strickland had like 2 scenes with zero dialogue and was killed like he was a Star Trek redshirt...what a waste of a book character...I also thought it was a bit strange how not only did Daenerys turn into the Mad Queen but at that exact moment all her Dothraki and Unsullied (including Grey Worm) also magically transformed into evil killers...I can somewhat buy Grey Worm's about face after the death of his beloved Missandei but it just felt a bit too convenient

I said it before but this Dany turn into the Mad Queen needed more then 2 episodes to fully explore...I expected it to happen for years and so did a lot of other book readers and fans of the show but it was handled like a last minute plot twist that no one was expecting versus taking the time to fully flesh out and develop...here's a post of mine from 2015...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...l#post34451002
LL3HD, oneeyeblind and Onward74 like this.
post #12886 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 08:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
Quote:
I said it before but this Dany turn into the Mad Queen needed more then 2 episodes to fully explore...I expected it to happen for years and so did a lot of other book readers and fans of the show but it was handled like a last minute plot twist that no one was expecting versus taking the time to fully flesh out and develop...here's a post of mine from 2015...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...l#post34451002
You deserve this for your prescient post:

oneeyeblind, TitusTroy and Ben23 like this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #12887 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 08:49 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
And to think that all Jon had to do was love her.

Yes, there was a lot of convenience for chance meetings and the like, but the episode overall was a masterpiece in my mind. It is good writing when in one episode you feel a little sympathy for a character you've despised throughout the series, and despise a character for whom you'd always felt sympathy.
locomo, JCJetta and cardoski like this.

Last edited by NewAger; 05-12-2019 at 08:52 PM.
post #12888 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 08:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Aaron Rodgers Makes Game of Thrones Cameo Appearance as a Golden Company Soldier

With just one episode left before the series finale of Game of Thrones, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers made a cameo as a soldier for the Golden Company army supporting Cersei Lannister at King’s Landing...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...031509138.html
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12889 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Aaron Rodgers Makes Game of Thrones Cameo Appearance as a Golden Company Soldier

With just one episode left before the series finale of Game of Thrones, Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers made a cameo as a soldier for the Golden Company army supporting Cersei Lannister at King’s Landing...

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...031509138.html

Saw that in The Game Revealed. He wasn’t a soldier though he was a KL commoner it seemed from dress and he was trying to save someone in scene he was in.
post #12890 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked: 1029
That dragon has quite the bottomless tank of gas. What a scorcher.
post #12891 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 09:22 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Another 'quiet' episode (at least streaming it through HBO app on ATV 4k). Had to crank my MV +12, only other time I've had to get it that high was on EP3 (was better on 4).
post #12892 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 09:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CappyJ View Post
Another 'quiet' episode (at least streaming it through HBO app on ATV 4k). Had to crank my MV +12, only other time I've had to get it that high was on EP3 (was better on 4).
same here...audio was too low...I also had to turn up the volume on my receiver over reference level...watched through FiOS with external 5.1 speakers
RxpSGR and oneeyeblind like this.
post #12893 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 09:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked: 237
They had some green fireballs implying Cersei rigged some booby traps that were triggered by dragon fire instead of soldiers in the Army of Northern Aggression as intended.

I guess the ballistas had a hard time aiming high or low or at a fast target or at something behind them.

Cersei and Jamie needed an emergency hang glider to get to the dingy.

I thought a rock was going to fall on zombie bro or he'd fall over dead when he pulled the knife out of his melon, but thru the wall was a good ending.

Ashy Arya reminded me of 9/11 news video, and charred bodies reminded me of the Iraqi in a truck on the "Highway of Death" from Gulf War I. The horrors of war were well represented in this episode.

Goofy Emilia Clark said "episode five is bigger" on Kimmel two weeks ago, so she spoiled any ideas that she wasn't going to roast the city. I thought she might have died in this battle, but I guess that'll be for next week. Still room for twists. Ravens all over telling the world that Snow is the true king imply one or the other will have to die next week.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12894 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Well, I was right about how the Hound and Mountain would die, falling from a castle wall, but Arya wasn't a player, and Euron died because of Jamie, not Yara. I'm not in the camp of "subversion = good story", sometimes you have to satisfy the audience...Cercei going out by means of collapsing tunnels? That was lame--there's no way around it. What's funny is the battle was as one-sided as it would have been if Daeny's army hadn't been "halfed" and hadn't lost two dragons...it was a slaughter. We all expected her to go mad in an instant, because that's how bad the story telling has been lately, but there's one point about how this went down that I agree with--the Unsullied and Dothraki would slaughter everyone there--they don't feel a connection to the citizens of Westeros, but the North men eventually fell back as Jon ordered. I thought Grey Worm might get himself killed, but no...in fact, it looks like he's going to want a piece of Jon. I don't know how they wrap this up without somehow sending the unsullied and dothraki back where they came from, because they won't follow anyone but Daeny...and leaving her on the thrown is not a desirable conclusion for anyone at this point.

thread closed
post #12895 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 10:19 PM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 515
I'm not certain Jon and the rest of the Starks won't be the next casualties. Like Jedimaster just said. There is an entire army of enemies if they kill her somehow. That would be pretty bitter, but I'm not seeing the sweet.

Anyone know how they made the thumping bass line in the lead-up to the battle? To me it sounded electronic or distorted, but that would deviate from every other soundtrack before it.
oneeyeblind likes this.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #12896 of 13717 Old 05-12-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked: 15380
After they rang the bell I said to my tv, don’t do it, Dany. Don’t you do it . *phewt* BBQ time. Dany’s descent into madness was too quick. I don’t want to say convenient because perhaps it was meant to be. But it needed more time. Speaking of time, this whole final season needs more time. Maybe I’m just being greedy and want more. So no one got the satisfaction of killing Cersei. Although Jamie with two knife wounds to each side and probably punctured lungs sure was spry. Must have found a bota bag with some leftover TB12 juice. I did find the audio to be a bit on the quiet side. However the siege on KL had some good use of surrounds. Bring on the final episode. It’s gonna be bittersweet for sure.
Dave Vaughn, LL3HD, Tack and 1 others like this.

post #12897 of 13717 Old 05-13-2019, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 810
Wow. Dany fulfills the intent of her father, becoming the full on Mad Targaryen. Three dragons turned out to be redundant, with Drogon looking HUGE and damn near invincible. I speculated that there wouldn't be a King's Landing, and I was right. Such a tragic ending for Dany. Everyone had hopes for her.
oneeyeblind likes this.
post #12898 of 13717 Old 05-13-2019, 02:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 4740
I have watched this season as well as this specific episode without expectations or interpretation and it was very enjoyable!

The bass was absolutely monstrous and enveloping; it aptly accompanied the chaos and destruction that ensued. I can't wait to experience it when it's released on disc in Dolby Atmos!

Subwoofers: PSA S3000i x 2 | L+R Front: Onkyo SKF-200F | Center: Onkyo SKC-200C | L+R Surround: Onkyo SKM-200S | Atmos: Pioneer SP-T22A-LR | AVR: Yamaha RX-A660BL | HTPC: Lenovo Q190
post #12899 of 13717 Old 05-13-2019, 03:30 AM

Quoted: 1842 Post(s)
Liked: 2146
So many things wrapped up. I've heard this repeatedly but it was spectacular to see the Queen of Ashes come to life on the screen.

The Mountain and the Hound, the only thing I didn't like was it didn't go on long enough. That was a great choreographed battle. Fitting ending too.

Fleet gone, scorpions gone. Full on Drogon was a thing of beauty. The score in this episode was stunning too. Really ratcheted up the tension.

So many deaths, they all went out in ways I never thought so kudos to the writers for doing it unlike anyone out there was predicting.

My only disappointment, and it is not a criticism on the show, is that Danny going full mad queen means she is going to die now so my ending of how I wanted it to end will not come to be. I just hope it is not Arya doing the killing, I hope Tyrion does it so at least one of my favorite characters makes it to the end.

One left, so many emotions inside. Going to be sad to see this show no longer on the air.
Brian Hampton and outofprint like this.

post #12900 of 13717 Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I just saw a video saying the leaks are accurate so far, so their will spoilers out there about how this ends...I haven't seen them, but I spend a lot of time online, so it's only a matter of time before I read a headline that spoils it. Going by how they like to subvert expectations, I'm sure it will be ridiculous. Maybe Grey Worm is sitting on the throne at the end. I honestly don't care who sits on the throne at this point...in fact, everyone should die for being so stupid--and I do mean everyone:

Sansa is stupid for telling Jon's secret
Jon is stupid for telling Sansa his secret
Tyrion is stupid for a lot of reasons, including telling Varys Jon's secret and letting Jamie go.
Varys was stupid and careless for confronting Jon about it.
Arya road all the way to KL to change her mind at the last moment, which is the least stupid, so maybe she takes the throne.

I expected Jon to kill Daeny before she could execute order 66, and then die for his trouble, but she's already roasted Varys and Kings Landing. Jon is a moron of epic proportions now, only Tyrion has him beat...they should both be roasted. There's no way Tyrion isn't blamed for Jamie's escape, so he should be dragon food.
Tack likes this.

thread closed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page