'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 444 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7160Likes

post #13291 of 13776 Old 05-19-2019, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4142 Post(s)
Liked: 3696
re-watched the final episode again and I liked it even more...lots of nice small moments with the characters we've gotten to know over 8 seasons...'I once brought a jackass and a honeycomb into a brothel'...Tyrion once again giving us the start— but not the end!— of that old joke one last time....I loved it...Brienne finishing Jamie's story and making sure that he will be forever remembered as not just the Kingslayer but a hero...the Starks reunited only to be broken up for good this time-- Arya and Jon don't look like they're ever coming back

when Jon and the Wildlings are riding out away from Castle Black you see a blade of green grass poking through the snow underneath their feet...Spring is coming!...and a great nod to the title of GRRM's final book in the Ice and Fire Series titled 'A Dream of Spring'...once again some great imagery of the semi-destroyed King's Landing- as Daenerys is walking to give her victory speech, the juxtaposition of Drogon's massive wings spanning from either side of Daenerys' back...almost looked like Dany had wings herself...gorgeous shot!

bring on the 4K Blu-ray Complete Box-Set!!
RxpSGR, gwsat, Ph8te and 7 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13292 of 13776 Old 05-19-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Thus ends my favorite show.

So who's cancelling HBO? (Actually, I might finally check out Westworld.)

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #13293 of 13776 Old 05-19-2019, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I have to rant...just a bit:

You know the magic is gone when, as you watch and try to figure out what's going to happen, you preface every thought with "they're going to".

--they're going to have Tyrion confront Daeny.
--Are they really going to have Jon kill her in the throne room?
--Maybe they'll have Arya take her face.
--they're not going to have Drogon kill Jon.
--etc.

it used to be:

--I wonder how Tyrion will react.
--Who's going to rule?
--Where's Drogon going?
--etc.

This season was the most inconsistent character portrayals I've ever seen...except maybe long running soap operas, where bad guys become good guys over time and whatnot. No, wait, that takes time, this went zero to one hundred real quick. It was weird seeing this new Daeny--it felt so out of place. Also, one second Bran doesn't care about, or want anything--he just lives in the past--the next thing you know, he's making the long trek to KL to be crowned--yup, that's consistent. Hey remember, the lone wolf dies but the pack survives?...all that stuff about family sticking together? PEACE OUT, WE GOING OUR SEPARATE WAYS YO! Wait, now they made it so Bran needs help finding a dragon? Seriously? He can just let his eyes go milky...this makes no sense!

I can't remember what they did with the Dothraki, and don't care--I remember Grey Worm and the Unsullied are supposed to be going to Naarth...you know what, that all just ended--it was like there wasn't any thought put into it...I could almost hear someone in the background saying "Yeah let's wrap this part up with them leaving--no no, it doesn't have to make sense, just get them on the ships. Aaaaand ACTION!" They leave..."Aaaand that's a wrap! Has anyone seen my coffee? Oh...well this time just erase it digitally."

It's late--I could probably go on, but I will say this, at least they didn't kill off Tyrion. I wouldn't have been mad if they did--it would have made sense after all--but he was one of my favorite characters, so there's that I guess.
LL3HD, Tack and slowbiscuit like this.

thread closed

Last edited by JediMastr; 05-20-2019 at 06:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13294 of 13776 Old 05-19-2019, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6852 Post(s)
Liked: 15408
I dunno. Need to digest this a bit more. The build up of Jon Snow being the rightful heir to the throne wasn’t even brought up at the council meeting. Outside the few did the others even know? Kind of a let down. I thought Varys was sending ravens out. But I could be misremembering. Don’t like the choice of Bran the Broken (lol) bring king. Doesn’t seem right. I dunno. Need to let this digest more. Bronn wanting to rebuild the brothels first was classic.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

post #13295 of 13776 Old 05-19-2019, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Drogon melting the Iron Throne was perhaps the most meaningful part, and what a sight it was. The effects team deserves high praise.

All was right when Jon and Ghost were reunited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post

I'm keeping HBO, mostly out of habit.
SuperFist and Mike_WI like this.
post #13296 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 1847 Post(s)
Liked: 2165
Some really great moments and some scratch your head moments.

Bran as the king, seriously? What a horrible choice. Every time they need a decision is he going to be in his visions of the past and just say I am three eyed raven? He is not king material at all, even with all his past knowledge, etc. He should be the advisor not the ruler.

Jon going to the nights watch. What? Why do they need a nights watch? Anything made by the night king died, there is a massive hole in the wall, what exactly are they guarding? The wildlings are free to come and go now, there is no threat they have ever talked about that still exists. Would have made more sense to have him king of the North with Sansa as hand or whatever. Sansa as queen, sure whatever.

Can't really comment on Danny because even though they said they have been giving clues, I still felt she would not have done all that burning and destroying, just like she didn't in the other cities.

The remaining cast and what they all are doing was just perfect. Tyrion, Davos, Brie, etc. Fitting and perfect ends.

The only last thing I would have liked to have seen would have been Drogon taking care of eggs or something.

Knew long ago this show would never end the way I wanted but I still have to give props to the showrunners, they took us on a hell of a ride, some incredible moments, some truly amazing characters. They created something that will not be forgotten for a long time and something that a lot of other shows will be measured against. Hats off, I will truly miss this show and these characters. What a ride it has been.
Pagali likes this.

post #13297 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 1080
yawn!
Dave Vaughn and shivaji like this.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #13298 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Wish they would have done more with Arya's face taking ability. Basically a wasted story line.
joblo, Dave Vaughn, Keenan and 2 others like this.
post #13299 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
No, he is king of lower Westeros, he let the North be independent.
He's the only surviving son of Ned Stark, so he's next in line for the throne.
post #13300 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 05:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 189
A Lannister still sits at the head of the table Resets the players and the Game continues...

Farewell Jon Snow, you should've been King but you still no nothing!

Farewell Daenerys, you Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect the Iron Throne!

Farewell GOT, Thanks for the memories!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	got.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	2569112  

Last edited by wpbpete; 05-20-2019 at 05:25 AM.
post #13301 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 05:34 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
...So who's cancelling HBO?.....
I did. Right after the 9PM EST showing. The 6 episodes cost me just a month's charges. I'll pick it up again with Westworld in 2020.....
post #13302 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpileggi View Post
I did. Right after the 9PM EST showing. The 6 episodes cost me just a month's charges. I'll pick it up again with Westworld in 2020.....
I'm keeping it through Deadwood.
LL3HD and allargon like this.
post #13303 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 06:20 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6264 Post(s)
Liked: 5891
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
He's the only surviving son of Ned Stark, so he's next in line for the throne.

Technically in name only, that’s why Sansa Queen in the North and leading them for the past couple of years. Bran forgave his name/titles to become 3ER, he is still someone of the realm, so he can rule (which would also “break the wheel”), but cannot have children so there are no worries about him keeping the throne. They offered him Winterfell before, he declined and it went to Jon/Sansa. Then it passed to Sansa.
threshold350 likes this.
post #13304 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 AM

'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion

Quote:

Chernobyl is on right now, so I won’t be and HBO always has something I’ll watch so I won’t be. They have a slate of some good looking shows coming up this year (His Dark Materials, Watchmen, etc). I get HBO for free with my phone service so it makes things a lot easier for me to just keep it (I’d keep it even if I paid for it).
post #13305 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Wasn’t a fan of the Bran to be King thing, but outside of that I enjoyed the finale. What happened made sense (especially the North becoming independent). Jon was always a “wildling” so him riding off with them made sense too. Arya off on her own journey was a good way to end it after all she’s been through. There is no more list and she is free to do as she pleases. If this is the true ending (which I can believe it is) I wonder if people will be upset. It ended with people who didn’t want the seats of power in power at KL which is what people always thought was the best idea anyways. They did kill Daeny off quick, but she met a fitting end and Jon did “the right thing”. Overall I was surprised it ended on an “upbeat”, but it was bittersweet in that all the Starks are separated and alone. This hour and a half moved by really fast for me.
Quote:
The Bran thing is the ONLY thing I have an issue with, even if it does fit what needed to happen for the realm to be a better place. Friends of mine are upset (a little) in regards to Jon not “taking his lineage). For me though he was always happiest in the North being “free”. What happened with him (riding off to North with wildlings) is something I brought up to friends. Bittersweet as the Starks are alone again, but all where they “should be”.
I have to disagree to Jon being a "wildling" or even happy being with the wildlings...I don't remember it that way. Jon has more or less just been about doing what's right, and sulking about it. His whole time with the wildlings was a mission--he cared for the wildling woman, but he was there to get a job done...it was his duty. I don't recall any happiness outside of sticking her with the pointy end. And then he sailed up there to rescue the wildlings because it was practical--he didn't want them to join the army or the dead--that certainly wasn't a happier time. I think when Jon said he wanted to go with the wildlings, it was in comparison to what he was about to do--go to war AGAIN for the umpteenth time. Jon is a warrior, and a good one, but he doesn't like "what he's good at". I'd say Jon was happier when he was with the Watch, but that's because of the friends he made there--they're all dead now--except Sam, who's far away. So he looked really unhappy to be returning there, and he even looked unhappy to be with the wildlings...it's like they decided to punish this character twice--I almost felt bad for him watching the gates close. Now that I think about it, he was happiest with Daeny--bending her knees and flying around on dragons...until he found out they were related. Yeah, I don't think this ended well for him at all.
LL3HD, Tack and Sweet Jimmy like this.

thread closed
post #13306 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:

So who's cancelling HBO?
Cancelled an hour after the finale. Though this last season had some great episodes, I couldn't quite get into the last show. I loved the scenes where they are setting up for the first meeting of the new guard, but I thought the rest seemed rushed. I say that without any regards as to how they could have made it better. It's hard to close out so many story lines in a good manner.

Either way, thanks Game Of Thrones, you've provided many great hours of entertainment!
Lp85253 likes this.
post #13307 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 06:39 AM

'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediMastr View Post
I have to disagree to Jon being a "wildling" or even happy being with the wildlings...I don't remember it that way. Jon has more or less just been about doing what's right, and sulking about it. His whole time with the wildlings was a mission--he cared for the wildling woman, but he was there to get a job done...it was his duty. I don't recall any happiness outside of sticking her with the pointy end. And then he sailed up there to rescue the wildlings because it was practical--he didn't want them to join the army or the dead--that certainly wasn't a happier time. I think when Jon said he wanted to go with the wildlings, it was in comparison to what he was about to do--go to war AGAIN for the umpteenth time. Jon is a warrior, and a good one, but he doesn't like "what he's good at". I'd say Jon was happier when he was with the Watch, but that's because of the friends he made there--they're all dead now--except Sam, who's far away. So he looked really unhappy to be returning there, and he even looked unhappy to be with the wildlings...it's like they decided to punish this character twice--I almost felt bad for him watching the gates close. Now that I think about it, he was happiest with Daeny--bending her knees and flying around on dragons...until he found out they were related. Yeah, I don't think this ended well for him at all.

I wouldn’t dismiss his time with Ygritte like that. While it started off on a mission, it become more than that quickly. He actually smiled and was happy at the end riding north once the door closed. With the wildings he was never a bastard and he earned what he got. If we remember back it was another member of the Nights Watch (Mance) that was leading them, so it almost brings it full circle that he would join them.
post #13308 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:

My curiosity towards Watchmen and His Dark Materials will keep me on. There's no way I'd cancel before the Deadwood movie shows later this month.

I think a lack of 4K/HDR streaming from them will also be a big demotivator to give them money every month if that option is not there this Fall.
allargon and Mike_WI like this.

Life is Lambertian
post #13309 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 215
The finale was inexcusably BORING and the longest denouement in television history except for perhaps that in Lost.
post #13310 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 227 Post(s)
Quoted: 2682 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacojoe View Post
The finale was inexcusably BORING and the longest denouement in television history except for perhaps that in Lost.
Won't be buying the box set as I no longer care if it's in 4K/HDR. The final episode basically ruined the whole series for me. All that time down the drain. How can I get 150 hours of my life back? That's a minimal estimate including re-watching entire seasons.

LG OLED65C7P 4-20-19 Calibration SDR/HDR/DV FW 05.80.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post57928994
VIZIO M70-D3 Calibration SDR/HDR FW 3.4.8.15: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...l#post55595700
post #13311 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
Won't be buying the box set as I no longer care if it's in 4K/HDR. The final episode basically ruined the whole series for me. All that time down the drain. How can I get 150 hours of my life back? That's a minimal estimate including re-watching entire seasons.
You could just not watch the final season. There's many tv series that don't live up to the hype. If the first 7 seasons lived up to the hype for yourself then watch them. (Bad analogy incoming) Don't sell the entire house if a room needs a paint job.
post #13312 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Some random thoughts on how they chose to end it for a few characters:

--Brienne didn't stay with Sansa, I guess she's heading the King's Guard now...I guess Sansa released her from her service so that she could do what she's always wanted to do.
--Arya becoming an explorer was random...she's been on quite the adventure for sure, but I don't recall them giving her character that kind of curiosity.

Jon looked like "it could be worse I guess...at least I still have Ghost"...the show should have shown him having more close relationships within the wildling community, instead of just Tormund. It felt a bit lonely to see him ride off with one friend, his pet, and a bunch of NPCs. Now that I think about it more, it bothers me more--the pack split up completely--all of their (Stark's) endings felt "lonely" to me. Arya sailing off with a bunch of NPCs. Sansa ruling over a bunch of NPCs. Bran only sort of bonded with Tyrion for a second, but otherwise he's not close to anyone in KL.

edit: I forgot to mention Bran sort of bonded with Sam too--but that leads to my next issue...

--If there's still a Night's Watch, isn't Sam still bound to his oath? Shouldn't he be their Maester?
Mike_WI likes this.

thread closed

Last edited by JediMastr; 05-20-2019 at 07:48 AM.
post #13313 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacojoe View Post
I am actually fine with it. It is a lot harder to come up with a list of GOOD endings. I think Fringe is fairly high for me - and they ended that one twice Breaking Bad is probably my favorite.

Worse than GoT:

Battlestar Galactica
Lost
Sopranos
Dexter
Buffy
Seinfeld

Every show ever that got cancelled in the middle.

Special mention for Deus ex Machina (which I like, but not everyone's cup of tea):
St. Elsewhere
Newhart
LL3HD likes this.
post #13314 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 07:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoftumble View Post
I'll admit that I'm one of the, twenty or so, people that didn't hate how LOST ended, and so I bought the series on Blu-ray. I have all of the seasons of GOT on Blu-ray, so I might get this last season to finish the collection, but I don't know if I'm going to bother with a 4k box set...this last season took the wind out of the sails for me.

thread closed
post #13315 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 07:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4502 Post(s)
Liked: 5894
Apparently Dany learned nothing from Howard Dean.

"Not only are we going to Dorne, were going to Winterfell! We're going to the Summer Islands. And Iron Island! And then we're going back to Essos and take back the entire world!! Mnryeeeeaahhhhhh!!!!!"

Half hour later, it's over.
post #13316 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Apparently Dany learned nothing from Howard Dean.

"Not only are we going to Dorne, were going to Winterfell! We're going to the Summer Islands. And Iron Island! And then we're going back to Essos and take back the entire world!! Mnryeeeeaahhhhhh!!!!!"

Half hour later, it's over.
LOL--yeah, and please forgive the expression, but it's true: NEVER GO FULL-******! She went there, and then some lol
thehun and LL3HD like this.

thread closed
post #13317 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 284

post #13318 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 740
This rant will be all over the place!

Overall I liked the episode even though it had some gaps within it. The Grey Worm change I didn't care for. "He's a prisoner" line had me rolling my eyes. WTF was your previous title? Your queen, (Daenerys) freed you and you followed! Now he's transformed from slave to savage? He was not told whom to follow? You need "slaves to rebuild KL, use the captured soldiers? The whole Jon is the true king and ruler fell flat. The big build up with Ravens sent out with the truth was never finished. Now we have a council set up by whom? Why was he being held prisoner after killing the Queen even though he is the true ruler. The fact that Drogon didn't burn him was proof. I say let Drogon be king if a dragon can figure it out? Abdicate it to Sansa or anyone but Ironside with the messed up haircut! if you don't want it give it away.
LL3HD and Tack like this.
post #13319 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Responding to some of above, Bronn was master of coin because the Lannister Bros agreed to give him Highgarden (the rich farming kingdom). Even though the Unsullied murdered the surviving Lannister soldiers, Hand Tyrion is still influential and apparently King Bran thought it was fine to let Bronn have it.

Dany dragon wings was a neat scene. I also liked the surprise sleeping snow dragon scene.

Regarding Tyrion's joke, the internet seems to think it goes like this:

I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass.

The madam said, "What can we do for you?"

"I need a woman to lay with," I said, "For mine has left me."

"Well, of course!" she said, "But what's with the honeycomb and jackass?"

"My woman was cleaning a bottle, and out popped a Genie!" I said.

"So grateful to finally be freed after so many years, he offered to grant her three wishes.

"Without hesitation, she demanded a house fit for a queen.

"And with a POOF! this honeycomb appeared!

"Undeterred, for her second wish she was to have the nicest ass in all the land.

"And with another POOF! appeared this damn donkey.

"Her third and final wish, she gave a little more thought, and then demanded that I, her husband, would have a **** that hung past my knees."

The madam asked, "Well that's brilliant! Why in the world did she leave you?"

"Because POOF! I was no longer six foot three!"
post #13320 of 13776 Old 05-20-2019, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
I am actually fine with it. It is a lot harder to come up with a list of GOOD endings. I think Fringe is fairly high for me - and they ended that one twice Breaking Bad is probably my favorite.

Newhart
Agree.

With this GOT finale, the gap just widened for Breaking Bad— putting it so far ahead on the list of the greatest shows. BB is in a class by itself for overall greatness. That production knew how to create a beginning, middle and an end like no other.

GOT deserves all of the over the top accolades. Regardless, the series ended with a lot of controversy and unhappiness from loyal fans. For various reasons. But that’s expected.

The GOT finale is getting a lot of chatter but it’s nowhere near the talk that followed the Sopranos finale. But that talk was all about the last 3 minutes.

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page