'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 449 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7154Likes

post #13441 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 06:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Bran was a good choice, it couldn't be Jon since he can't have it both ways and we always knew it would be a Stark in the end since season 1. Jon was a tool and served a purpose. Sansa gets to choose the North can rule themselves? Why does she get to decide, why then can't the other Realms? I had an idea there would be an end of monarchy rule and some sort of council would develop, but it's a step in that direction at least with election instead of birthright.

And we don't get to see the look on Gray Worm's face when he discovers Dani gone/dead?

Yeah, Dani had to go, she's wanted to burn everyone that crossed her path for last several seasons, she would become worse (if not already) than Cersei could ever be. Her reign was one of fire and fear. Jon did the honorable thing.
gwsat likes this.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13442 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 4044
Bickering and political posts removed.

Discuss the topic and not each other or risk being banished to The Wall where Winter never leaves.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #13443 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
There are a lot of people in Westeros who don't live in KL.
This is true, but for a sense of scale, remember that someone (Jon?) said that there were more people living in King's Landing that in the whole of the North.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13444 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked: 5883
So I had to find that "puppies" clip. It's so damn good. Thanks for years of entertainment, GOT.

LL3HD and Ben23 like this.
post #13445 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2855 Post(s)
Liked: 3658
Dear Fellow Contributors ::

It's an effort in complete futility for me to add anything to the Prognostications, Punditry and general back and forth .. the Show has ended, it's done, it now lies in the Land of TV History .. What could have been, what should have been, what would have been, IMO, just don't have much in the way of relevance anymore .. sure, I could go on about this and that, but I'm at Peace with things so I choose to leave it at that ..

What I would like to say, though, is this ::

Over the years, I have very much enjoyed the Company of those that have populated this Thread .. some have come and gone, some have joined in the recent Past, some have been with us on the Journey from the inception ..

So, I offer up my most heart felt Thanks to so many of you that have added a depth to the Story over those years by taking the time to contribute to the narrative here in our tiny corner of the Cyber Landscape .. it's not always been a smooth road, we've had a rocky patch here and there .. but all in all, it's been a great Journey for me and given me an opportunity to interact with some of the Greatest Fans of a show that could ever be hoped for .. I, personally, could not have asked for more ..

Now, other than a re-watch periodically and in re-runs, our Watch is Over .. and what a Watch it was ..

Sincerely;

Willie

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #13446 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I was satisfied with the ending.

I still think that Drogon took Dany to the land of the Red Witches back on Essos and that she will be brought back to life.
shivaji likes this.
post #13447 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1113 Post(s)
Liked: 1044
For anyone wanting more of Bronn, He has a small role in the latest John Wick Movie. it gave me a laugh when he appeared.
Dave Vaughn and adpayne like this.
post #13448 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 08:43 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked: 2840
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
Ironically, I bet GRRM is thrilled with the mixed reactions. If he ever finishes The Winds of Winter it is going to be a massive, massive seller so people can see his vision and not ‘the incompetent writers’ of the show.
I will have a good, hearty laugh when the book is finally released and it turns out to be a straight novelization based on the TV screenplays.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #13449 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 09:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked: 715
This just in from my favorite GoT reviewer:
Tack, Cal1981 and Ben23 like this.
post #13450 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6264 Post(s)
Liked: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I will have a good, hearty laugh when the book is finally released and it turns out to be a straight novelization based on the TV screenplays.

Considering the direct quote recently posted, it will lead to some hand wringing still looking forward to the books and the many many pages of food and clothing descriptions at at least 3k pages they will be monsters to finish reading. I do wonder how many will skip to the ends just to see what was the same and what was different.
post #13451 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 661 Post(s)
Liked: 1014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montucky View Post
This just in from my favorite GoT reviewer:
"Winterfell doing a Brexit". Great line!
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #13452 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 246
I came on board to GoT back when it first started airing - looking back at my post history it appears my first comment about the show here was on page 2 of this thread!

I just wanted to say thanks for the fun times on this thread - it's not often we spend ~8 years watching something together that's as much of a water-cooler show as this.

Yes, I'm disappointed that the quality of writing took a nose-dive after they surpassed the books, but overall it's been really fun to watch. I am at peace with the finale. See you all in other threads.

And yes, I'd totally watch an Arya Stark spinoff.
Dave Vaughn, LL3HD, Tack and 6 others like this.
post #13453 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Well I for one am most interested to see which, amongst these fine actors, will be able to break the typecasting curse of such a powerful and iconic series.
We all probably loved Breaking Bad....Aaron Paul's Jessie Pinkman was the role of a lifetime....literally. The poor guy can't seem to buy a break now.
I see a lot of bit roles in B-Movies coming, apart (maybe) from Sophie Turner with her new X-Men spot.

Anyone else see a different vision in the Red Witch's crystal ball?
post #13454 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 11:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
For anyone wanting more of Bronn, He has a small role in the latest John Wick Movie. it gave me a laugh when he appeared.
Didn't know that Lena Headey and Jerome Flynn used to be a couple. Interesting!

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/19/lena-...cenes-with-ex/
post #13455 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post
Well I for one am most interested to see which, amongst these fine actors, will be able to break the typecasting curse of such a powerful and iconic series.
We all probably loved Breaking Bad....Aaron Paul's Jessie Pinkman was the role of a lifetime....literally. The poor guy can't seem to buy a break now.
I see a lot of bit roles in B-Movies coming, apart (maybe) from Sophie Turner with her new X-Men spot.

Looks like Paul has a huge role in Westworld Season 3.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7/Panasonic PT-AE8000U; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #13456 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post

Jerome Flynn also has a large role in the 'Ripper Street' series from the BBC which is available on Netflix.
post #13457 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6849 Post(s)
Liked: 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Bickering and political posts removed.

Discuss the topic and not each other or risk being banished to The Wall where Winter never leaves.
I knew I shouldn’t have had that last tankard of giants milk. What’d I miss?
Dave Vaughn likes this.

post #13458 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6849 Post(s)
Liked: 15399
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
I need this on a poster.
Would make a great looking acoustic panel.
Dave Vaughn and cardoski like this.

post #13459 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
Didn't know that Lena Headey and Jerome Flynn used to be a couple. Interesting!

https://pagesix.com/2019/05/19/lena-...cenes-with-ex/

That’s been posted a few times (discuses recently as well). It comes up here and there, but does add an interesting twist to scenes we’ve seen in the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Rubman View Post

Sophie Turner for sure is being groomed to be a star.

Richard Madden (Rob Stark) is one of the leads on Bodyguard (NetFlix/BBC show)

Maisie Williams just launched a digital media collaboration venture.

Lots of the folks in the show are getting or have been in a lot of overseas (Europe) work. I wouldn’t be surprised to see the cast start popping up here and there in other roles, but nothing compared to GoT (IMO). The young folk have the best chance to do something, but may end up in the “background” of the entertainment business (instead of being actors). It’s always interesting to hear the actors speak in native tongue or real accent as some are quite different.

For fans of Jamie, he has a small role in The Kingdom of Heaven where Orlando Bloom has a leading “Jon Snow” role. One of my favorite movies and still holds up to this day. Do yourself a favor and only watch the Directors cut.

Fans of GoT may also want to check out The Last Kingdom on NetFlix. It’s more historical fiction based on tea history, but has a lot of the same elements outside of fantasy that make people love GoT.
danlshane likes this.
post #13460 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 12:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
I feel the same. This is Martin's property. I find it funny that people think HBO just made it all up after it passed the books. You don't think he outlined the entire series with HBO? But people will still buy the books and then be mad when its the same story
Holmes108 and Lp85253 like this.
post #13461 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Fans of GoT may also want to check out The Last Kingdom on NetFlix. It’s more historical fiction based on tea history, but has a lot of the same elements outside of fantasy that make people love GoT.
I'd agree on "Last Kingdom" .. although, in my personal opinion, "Vikings" has a lot to like as well ..

As far as the future of the various Cast members, if placed in a worst case scenario money wise, they will always and forever be able to milk the lucrative Convention Market .. has beens from 30 years ago make a decent living still .. even 3rd string actors that just happened to have an appearance or three on a popular show ..

"Just Announced :: Rory "The Hound" McCann from Game of Thrones will be signing Autographs and Allowing a Photo Op at the July Florida Supercon"
(Autographs $100, Photo Op with Autograph $200, Platinum Pass Meet and Greet with Photo Op and Autograph $500) .. this is fictional, what if .. I don't think he's slated to appear, yet, anyway .. but, you can see what folks get ::

https://www.floridasupercon.com/celebrities/

Never discount the Fan Draw and Cash Flow the "Circuit" can provide .. Mr Martin did it for years .. you get 1000 folks or more over a couple days standing in line with cash in hand, even a has been can rake in some dough ..
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #13462 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I'd agree on "Last Kingdom" .. although, in my personal opinion, "Vikings" has a lot to like as well ..

As far as the future of the various Cast members, if placed in a worst case scenario money wise, they will always and forever be able to milk the lucrative Convention Market .. has beens from 30 years ago make a decent living still .. even 3rd string actors that just happened to have an appearance or three on a popular show ..

"Just Announced :: Rory "The Hound" McCann from Game of Thrones will be signing Autographs and Allowing a Photo Op at the July Florida Supercon"
(Autographs $100, Photo Op with Autograph $200, Platinum Pass Meet and Greet with Photo Op and Autograph $500) .. this is fictional, what if .. I don't think he's slated to appear, yet, anyway .. but, you can see what folks get ::

Never discount the Fan Draw and Cash Flow the "Circuit" can provide .. Mr Martin did it for years .. you get 1000 folks or more over a couple days standing in line with cash in hand, even a has been can rake in some dough ..
NO KIDDING! I met Emilia Clarke on May 11 here in Houston at Comicpalooza. The day tickets went on sale for her, I bought the Mother of Dragons Speedpass (VIP line), photo op and autograph ticket - at the low low price of almost $700 - they were completely sold out within 5 hours. I'd do it again though. She's a very sweet person. Though you do have to go through worse than the TSA when getting the autograph - empty your pockets in the bin, only you, the ticket and the item to be autographed pass through the metal detector to her. The GoT panel was good, but nothing revealing about the show since we weren't done with the series yet. Best part of that was that I got roughly 500 images (about 135 culled as final, edited shots) of she and Nathalie Emmanuel during the panel discussion. Thank God for 42 megapixel cameras and the VIP seating.
Ph8te likes this.
post #13463 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 12:45 PM

For those that like background type things here is the IG of the set photographer Helen Sloan

https://instagram.com/helenstills

She also has a book coming out:
https://www.amazon.com/Photography-G.../dp/1683835298

She has taken some beautiful shots of the cast this last season, well worth checking out.
mike1812 likes this.
post #13464 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 12:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4137 Post(s)
Liked: 3691
Quote:
small chance that happens...sure some of the same events will happen (GRRM told the showrunners some of his ideas for the ending after all) but much will be different...way too many differences in the books:

-Lady Stoneheart, resurrected Catelyn Stark, as a wildcard in coming conflicts
-Littlefinger never giving Sansa over to be married to Ramsey Bolton
-The existence of Aegon Targaryen, the son of Rhaegar and Elia Martell who was supposed to be killed by the Mountain, but was saved and now has a claim to the throne
-All the Starks being able to warg to some degree
-Robb Stark’s wife is not killed and may have a secret Stark heir somewhere
-Ser Barristan Selmy is alive and one of the best weapons Dany has
-The character of the Night King does not actually exist in the books at all
hernanu and Zookster like this.
post #13465 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
NO KIDDING! I met Emilia Clarke on May 11 here in Houston at Comicpalooza. The day tickets went on sale for her, I bought the Mother of Dragons Speedpass (VIP line), photo op and autograph ticket - at the low low price of almost $700 - they were completely sold out within 5 hours. I'd do it again though. She's a very sweet person. Though you do have to go through worse than the TSA when getting the autograph - empty your pockets in the bin, only you, the ticket and the item to be autographed pass through the metal detector to her. The GoT panel was good, but nothing revealing about the show since we weren't done with the series yet. Best part of that was that I got roughly 500 images (about 135 culled as final, edited shots) of she and Nathalie Emmanuel during the panel discussion. Thank God for 42 megapixel cameras and the VIP seating.
Yep .. way back when, that's how I met and got to know Mr Martin .. things were financially, let's say, a bit different back then .. I was an organizer / promotor for a time as well .. best Con I ever put together featured Adam West / Frank Gorshin as the headliners .. on the weekend of the 30th Anniversary of the Batman '60's premier .. I still get a rush thinking about it .. oh, the stories ..

Uncle Willie

post #13466 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I already bought tickets. Not that much of a fan to get an autograph, but I hope he has a Q&A panel.

SuperCon is big but it never gets the A+ celebrities. It’s too close to San Diego Comic-Con. Plus Orlando has Mega-Con which is much bigger than SC. I hold out hope that Matt Smith will attend one day. I have a group photo of him as Doctor Who with Amy, Rory and River and all have signed it except the Doctor. When Karen Gillan signed it was only $60. She came back a couple of years later after she was in Guardians of the Galaxy and her fee went up to $100. Gotta get that Marvel money!

As for the whole cottage industry of autograph signings, there are actors with bit parts in Star Wars who have signings. I guess you get your travel, lodging and meal expenses paid for a weekend and you sit around all day and talk to some fans, sign a few photos and take a few pictures. So not a bad way to make a few hundred bucks. Although, your hand sanitizer costs must be astronomical.
post #13467 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
I already bought tickets. Not that much of a fan to get an autograph, but I hope he has a Q&A panel.

SuperCon is big but it never gets the A+ celebrities. It’s too close to San Diego Comic-Con. Plus Orlando has Mega-Con which is much bigger than SC. I hold out hope that Matt Smith will attend one day. I have a group photo of him as Doctor Who with Amy, Rory and River and all have signed it except the Doctor. When Karen Gillan signed it was only $60. She came back a couple of years later after she was in Guardians of the Galaxy and her fee went up to $100. Gotta get that Marvel money!

As for the whole cottage industry of autograph signings, there are actors with bit parts in Star Wars who have signings. I guess you get your travel, lodging and meal expenses paid for a weekend and you sit around all day and talk to some fans, sign a few photos and take a few pictures. So not a bad way to make a few hundred bucks. Although, your hand sanitizer costs must be astronomical.
I just used Florida Supercon as an example ..

When a Promotor books the "Talent", it's through their agent, and the deal generally does include all expenses, plus, depending on the name, an upfront for X money .. the "Talent" pays nothing for the space they occupy, the Promotor gets a draw to sell tickets and the "Talent" pretty much takes home what money they make .. and, it's a pretty good size Industry these days ..

The downside, for Fans anyway, is some of this "Talent" just grinds out the autographs, some rarely even look up at the Fan and can average 100 people an hour because they want to maximize income .. the biggest names also negotiate for their own Security detail .. Shatner being one of those ..

And, yeah, you're right .. even a bit part can be cashed in ..

"Just the Yellow M&M's .."

Uncle Willie

post #13468 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 03:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I hope that G RR M will get his thumbs out of the ???? and create a better ending for the books.
At least in terms of filling it out.
There are quite a few plot holes and strange pacing.
IMO they managed to ruin a series in 4 episodes, which is kind of a feat if you ask me.

I know there is no point in bitching about it but they simply failed massively in S8.
It's on the same level of the final episode of Star Trek - Enterprise....flabergasted.

21:st century Karate Kid......Logon, Logoff, Logon, Logoff..
post #13469 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 03:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1194 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandOG View Post
It’s been very interesting, but not surprising, to read the mixed reactions here and all over the net. I’m on the side where I thought it was a good but not great finale. What I don’t know is how much of what I wasn’t happy with was due to how it was handled by the show or was the “bittersweet” ending GRRM has been promising for some time now.
I think that's part of it. It did feel bittersweet to me. I felt sad that Dany turned out to be another Mad Targaryen. As for the people complaining that there was too much of a happy ending for the Starks...the mother and father are brutally murdered along with THREE of the sons, Arya is blinded, witnesses her father's beheading and barely survives alone, Bran is paralyzed, Sansa is brutally raped. I say to these people, how much misery heaped on the Starks would have made you happy??
Perfect description of everything wrong with this ending.

https://deadspin.com/aaron-rodgers-r...adspin_twitter

Video: JVC RS620/X9500 projector, Stewart ST130 screen, Panasonic ub820 UHD player
Audio: Anthem AVM60 preamp, Anthem MCA525 amp, B&K Reference 125.7 amp
Subs: dual SVS PC-12 cylinders
Speakers: Jamo 626k4 in-wall mains, Jamo 631k4 bi/dipole surrounds, DefTech DI6.5R heights
post #13470 of 13770 Old 05-21-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 484
100.00 for an autograph. I think if I was famous I would refuse to give them out. I would try to reason with them, "Folks, there's better things to spend your money on than my signature or photos. Yes, I know you really love the show and I'm pleased you're pleased with my performance but I can't take your money. If you really must part with your cash then donate it to a good cause."

Yeah, I've never had anything signed before. I don't have anyone's autograph to this day. I think if I met Shatner, and I am a Star Trek fan, I would say hello and maybe something congratulatory if I could come up with something quick enough but that would be it. I wouldn't get in his face and try and get a selfie or ask for an autograph. It's just not worth it. And he's probably thinking, why would I just give out an autograph when I've been collecting money for them for so long? On an episode of Better Late than Never, Shatner refuses to give out autographs. I think he really is thinking that. He's working, filming for this show and randoms come up and he sees it as dollar signs lost. And that's fine, he's in the business but I just watch the shows and enjoy that part of it. My place as a fan has its limits.
Dave Vaughn and SuperFist like this.

This line intentionally left blank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page