'Game of Thrones' on HBO HD - NO SPOILERS or Book Discussion - Page 454 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7413Likes

post #13591 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7104 Post(s)
Liked: 15997
Was thinking damn! There’s nothing to watch on Sundays any longer. Then I see The Last Watch. Loved the table cast reading and learned what a club sandwich means. I will miss this show.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Advertisement

post #13592 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Was thinking damn! There’s nothing to watch on Sundays any longer. Then I see The Last Watch. Loved the table cast reading and learned what a club sandwich means. I will miss this show.
Barry.
SuperFist likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #13593 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 1076
Quote:
You may want to look at Chernobyl on HBO, although it's not for the faint of heart. It is, according to most accounts (including many user reviews on IMDB by those who grew up in the Ukraine), a very accurate depiction of that tragedy.
shivaji and Ben23 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #13594 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7104 Post(s)
Liked: 15997
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Barry.
Barry Melrose. I like hm. Go Blues!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal1981 View Post
You may want to look at Chernobyl on HBO, although it's not for the faint of heart. It is, according to most accounts (including many user reviews on IMDB by those who grew up in the Ukraine), a very accurate depiction of that tragedy.
Yeah, the promos for this show look pretty powerful.

post #13595 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2926
Quote:
Barry Melrose. I like hm. Go Blues!

Yeah, the promos for this show look pretty powerful.
SuperFist likes this.

Listening with Focal Elex headphones, Topping DSD Dac, SENCUN-audio tube preamp with tone control and Modded Little Dot hybrid tube amp with Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV tubes, Dual Discrete Op-Amp SS3602, and Alps Blue Velvet volume pot.

Watching in a room ensconced in velvet.
post #13596 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 01:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked: 1349
The Last Watch was a wonderful way to end our investment in GOT. Absolutely brilliant.
JoeTiVo and Ph8te like this.
post #13597 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Dolby Digital and DTS by their very nature discard portions of the original audio, with the goal of lowering the bit rate from the original. That was the whole point of those two codecs. So they do compress the original data, and it's never restored to its original size.
Yes, the original audio is compressed, but when decoded to analog, the analog is not compressed. What it has are errors, which hopefully are not heard by the listener.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #13598 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 02:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Yes, the original audio is compressed, but when decoded to analog, the analog is not compressed. What it has are errors, which hopefully are not heard by the listener.
IOW, there's a distinction between data compression and dynamic range compression. DD and DTS don't compress the dynamic range, but they do compress the data.
post #13599 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1334 Post(s)
Liked: 5382
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardoski View Post
Barry is friggin awesome, dude!

Okay, carry on GOT thread...
cardoski and Ben23 like this.
post #13600 of 14012 Old 05-27-2019, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked: 965
Quote:
...and learned what a club sandwich means.
I wonder how many people came away actually believing that?
post #13601 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4686 Post(s)
Liked: 4218
putting aside everything else, the last few minutes was beautifully shot and the score by Ramin Djawadi was epic...the montage of the various Stark siblings heading out on their new adventures was great- Jon, Arya, Sansa (why wasn't Bran included in the montage!)...the shot of Sansa getting crowned Queen was especially gorgeous...I'm guessing the original title of GRRM's final book in the Ice and Fire series was a big clue- A Time for Wolves...I think over time people will appreciate the finale and the final season more...it was rushed and didn't feel as epic as I wanted but overall the show will stand the test of time as a truly great fantasy show
Dave Vaughn, Josh Z, gwsat and 3 others like this.
post #13602 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 09:34 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
putting aside everything else, the last few minutes was beautifully shot and the score by Ramin Djawadi was epic...the montage of the various Stark siblings heading out on their new adventures was great- Jon, Arya, Sansa (why wasn't Bran included in the montage!)...the shot of Sansa getting crowned Queen was especially gorgeous...I'm guessing the original title of GRRM's final book in the Ice and Fire series was a big clue- A Time for Wolves...I think over time people will appreciate the finale and the final season more...it was rushed and didn't feel as epic as I wanted but overall the show will stand the test of time as a truly great fantasy show
Djawadi really grew as a composer over the years of doing this show. No matter what music snobs who always pine for a John Williams type say, there's no doubt in my mind that Djawadi was a perfect person for this job.
post #13603 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 09:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
Djawadi really grew as a composer over the years of doing this show. No matter what music snobs who always pine for a John Williams type say, there's no doubt in my mind that Djawadi was a perfect person for this job.
John Williams has a much larger body of work and has created some of the most iconic scores in movie history- Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws etc...Djawadi is amazing but lets not go comparing him to John Williams...Williams is a legend...Djawadi is the best TV composer ever in my opinion and his work on Westworld and Amazon's Jack Ryan sealed it for me...
post #13604 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
John Williams has a much larger body of work and has created some of the most iconic scores in movie history- Star Wars, Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones, Jaws etc...Djawadi is amazing but lets not go comparing him to John Williams...Williams is a legend...Djawadi is the best TV composer ever in my opinion and his work on Westworld and Amazon's Jack Ryan sealed it for me...
I never compared the two specifically. It's just that there are those who chastise all composers who developed their craft in the computer age of scoring rather than pencil-and-paper. They see them all as Zimmer clones and miss out on some truly good, individualized work.
Ph8te and TitusTroy like this.
post #13605 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 10:24 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6505 Post(s)
Liked: 6223
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAger View Post
I never compared the two specifically. It's just that there are those who chastise all composers who developed their craft in the computer age of scoring rather than pencil-and-paper. They see them all as Zimmer clones and miss out on some truly good, individualized work.

Considering Djwadi uses many live instruments mixed with tech it is really a shame. His work spans both movies and TV with people probably not knowing he did the score (until GoT). While Williams is a legend, GoT theme and music will be up there I think as far as “legendary” TV music.
post #13606 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 668
I was kind of disappointed in The Last Watch. There was a lot of people talking about the challenges they had and how much they had to put into it, but not really all that much showing why that was so. Very, very light on details. I was hoping for a lot more about all the decisions they were made, what obstacles they faced and how they overcame them, showing the mood(s) on set, getting more into the thought processes as they occurred, etc. What we got instead was a handful of people making comments of how hard it was, how excited they were, and how they'd miss it...and we got to meet the food truck lady.

I thought the only really interesting part was the brief glimpse of the table read, and the guy who was an extra.
Dave Vaughn and brazen1 like this.

The Hodor Theater - Now with Atmos
Projector - JVC D-ILA NX7; Receiver - Yamaha Adventage A3050
LCR speakers - JTR Noesis 228 HT (3); Surr./Back - Klipsch Pro Cinema KPT-8000M (4)
Atmos In-ceiling - Niles DS8HD (4); Subs - Passive JTR Captivator Pro (2)
post #13607 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2284
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChldsPlay View Post
I was kind of disappointed in The Last Watch. There was a lot of people talking about the challenges they had and how much they had to put into it, but not really all that much showing why that was so. Very, very light on details. I was hoping for a lot more about all the decisions they were made, what obstacles they faced and how they overcame them, showing the mood(s) on set, getting more into the thought processes as they occurred, etc. What we got instead was a handful of people making comments of how hard it was, how excited they were, and how they'd miss it...and we got to meet the food truck lady.

I thought the only really interesting part was the brief glimpse of the table read, and the guy who was an extra.
I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Granted, I've only watched the first hour thus far but I've found it to be pretty much a snore-fest.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
post #13608 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4470 Post(s)
Liked: 5816
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Granted, I've only watched the first hour thus far but I've found it to be pretty much a snore-fest.
I am inclined to agree. Although I didn't hate the special and found it occassionally engaging, I also found my attention flagging with distressing frequency.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #13609 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 01:49 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2960 Post(s)
Liked: 3862
Quote:

Pretty much a summation of my thoughts as well .. in some ways, I guess I'm glad the show is over ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #13610 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Well you do have to save some for the physical release I’m sure we’ll get more one of these days that goes more in depth.
post #13611 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 4703 Post(s)
Liked: 6282
I wasn't going to say anything, but since it's out there, I agree. Two hours of pretty low calorie stuff. Wasn't terrible, but it didn't need two hours.
post #13612 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I haven't even watched the 2 hour documentary yet...seems like HBO just didn't want to see the flagship show end and wanted to put something else on related to the show...doesn't seem like anything all that amazing that couldn't have been put on the Blu-ray...I personally would have been much more interested in watching the GoT roundtable discussion featuring the cast (even ex-cast members like Sean Bean) which will be an exclusive feature on the Blu-ray
post #13613 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 03:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1516 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I would said the same thing but I've just woken up.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #13614 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 04:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
IOW, there's a distinction between data compression and dynamic range compression. DD and DTS don't compress the dynamic range, but they do compress the data.
Correct. After DD and DTS are decoded, there is no dynamic range compression taking place either. After decoding, there is no compression left of any sort. What does remain is compression artifacts, which are hopefully not heard by the viewer.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #13615 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2093 Post(s)
Liked: 2236
That doc was better then season 8...lol.
lax01 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #13616 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 04:39 PM

Hoping he gets the help and rest he needs:
https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/28/kit-harington-rehab/
post #13617 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Hoping he gets the help and rest he needs:
https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/28/kit-harington-rehab/
I guess he didn’t like the way it ended either.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...6oLftoeaUZAVE0

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?
post #13618 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post
I guess he didn’t like the way it ended either.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...6oLftoeaUZAVE0

This is not something to even joke about IMO. Fans can sometimes not realize that when you start making petitions, etc that it can reflect on the actors themselves as well. From what I have read elsewhere outside of a crazy schedule he was worried that he/they would let fans down. I’m sure the backlash of the final season hasn’t helped stress for him since much of it focused on him and fans have been very vocal about their dislike of the show. Some people take that to heart since it’s a reflection of their work and putting a few sentences of “hey the actors were good” never makes headlines.
post #13619 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
This is not something to even joke about IMO.

That’s cool. I do wish him well. The guy has the world in the palm of his hand.
Fame is a tough thing to cope with if you’re not mentally tough enough.

But he has been outspoken regarding current events. He should stay focused on his career.
Personally, I’d cut him some more slack if he stayed away from American “issues.”
His Joffrey comparisons was not necessary. We watch these shows to escape reality.
I don’t want actors ‘breaking through the glass’ and giving their worldly opinions.
As the saying kinda’ goes, “Shut up and act.”

Larry

I thought we were cool de la?

Last edited by LL3HD; 05-28-2019 at 05:21 PM.
post #13620 of 14012 Old 05-28-2019, 05:28 PM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4470 Post(s)
Liked: 5816
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL3HD View Post
That’s cool. I do wish him well. The guy has the world in the palm of his hand.
Fame is a tough thing to cope with if you’re not mentally tough enough.

But he has been outspoken regarding current events. He should stay focused on his career.
Personally, I’d cut him some more slack if he stayed away from American “issues.”
His Joffrey comparisons was not necessary. We watch these shows to escape reality.
I don’t want actors ‘breaking through the glass’ and giving their worldly opinions.
As the saying kinda’ goes, “Shut up and act.”
I have become immune to actors who pontificate about political issues. Virtually none of them have the background or experience to vest them with any kind of credibility and most seem more to be currying favor with their likeminded friends in the Hollywood bubble than to state opinions, which would actually be helpful to the public at large.

Because actors' political positions mean nothing to me, I never let my reaction to them color my decision whether to watch their work. It works well. This way, I get to see a bunch of terrific performances by talented actors that I mighht otherwise miss and my digestion is improved.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray , Game Of Thrones The Complete First Season Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Collectors Edition , Game Of Thrones The Complete Second Season , Game Of Thrones The Complete Third Season Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page