"Arrow" on The CW HD - Page 68 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 398Likes

post #2011 of 2411 Old 02-04-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked: 15378
Felicity's father. I didn't see that one coming.
VisionOn likes this.

Advertisement

post #2012 of 2411 Old 02-04-2016, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Another surprisingly solid episode this week, unlike The Flash. The usual TV hacking lameness aside and the plot from Live Free or Die Hard, the rest of it was mostly all good.

The return guests worked well and a lot of group hand-to-hand combat and some good stunts made this an action-packed episode that worked. Amell's freerun training clearly paid off and Katrina Law sliced and diced pretty well in some well executed sword sequences. Far better than when Matt Nable tried it. I really wish Law had been cast as Laurel because she just fits on the show better in every way. That said even Laurel managed to get a genuinely slick moment of stunt jumping this week and we didn't have to suffer her Canary Whine either. Roy too got a ziplining hero moment and didn't fall down. That offset the one pretty lame stunt in which the stunt double jumped over a railing and behind a computer rack so Colton Haynes could run out from where he had obviously been hiding and into the camera. I was fine with the Thea Lifetime movie scenes too since it was a Roy going away party and Thea dying actually tied in to a better story angle.

Even Shado reappearing actually worked because they just stated from the beginning it was all just imaginary.

Plus Merlyn makes an appearance, Mr Terrific got to be nearly terrific and a villain that despite having a lame name, was actually one of the least stupid of all. With a very good twist.
mike1812 and ltownsend like this.

post #2013 of 2411 Old 02-08-2016, 08:32 AM
Yrd
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 515
The scenes with Roy and Oliver felt like they were about to kiss or just have sex right there. Way too heavy bromance going on. Also shado actor is horrible at acting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2014 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Ah well I knew the silent canary version of Arrow would not last long.....she was back in full volume this week.
post #2015 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
How does Oliver defeat Malcolm so easily?

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #2016 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
I quit watching 5 or 6 episodes ago. One of the main reasons is that the outcomes of these confrontations are purely arbitrary, and don't usually matter in the long run anyway...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #2017 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
That was my thought, too. Oliver barely beat him at the end of season 1. I haven't seen anything in intervening time that implied Oliver's skills have greatly improved or that Malcolm's have gotten worse.

Overall, I thought it was a good episode. I just think they should have shaved 45 seconds from somewhere else in the episode and extended the Oliver vs Malcolm fight longer to make it feel like the victory was more of a challenge.

Duane
post #2018 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 04:40 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3745 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Quote:
But you know why! Because the writers wrote it that way, they did this week anyway... Next week? Who knows...
post #2019 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 05:02 PM

Yeah apart from Ollie beating Malcolm far too quickly (that should have been epic - his fights with lame villains lasted longer), this was another solid episode with some big moves. The League being disbanded, Malcolm going to Darhk and Felicity turning in her father so soon were all pretty good story moves. The fight choreographers have really put in the work over the last few episodes too.

The show has been working much better with a limited team and less comic-ness. Laurel's Canary Whine really stuck out this week as out of place. The show has gone back to being dark and melodramatic in good ways. With Barrowman pulling out his angry face again and everyone else reeling in the hyper-reactions to be less cartoonish. Thea in a coma just demonstrates how better the show is with less characters on deck all trying to get a piece of the action hero pie.

From the preview though it looks like it's back to all-hands on deck fighting some more gimmick villains next week.
ltownsend likes this.

post #2020 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 07:29 PM

I like to keep one of these in my back pocket. You know, just in case.

Spoiler!
cel4145 likes this.

post #2021 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
You know, it was really nice of Darhk to stay home knitting the past few weeks so that all of these B- and C-tier plots could happen without interruption.
mike1812 likes this.
post #2022 of 2411 Old 02-11-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You know, it was really nice of Darhk to stay home knitting the past few weeks so that all of these B- and C-tier plots could happen without interruption.
Isn't he working on his wife's campaign?

At least some people in the election race for Star City are putting some time and effort into it.
mike1812 likes this.

post #2023 of 2411 Old 02-15-2016, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Just binged the past 4 episodes and really, really liked them. I find binging Flash and Arrow in 4-5 episodes blocks makes it better.

Anyway, this really bothered us to. My wife immediately looked at me and said "he lost on purpose, they arraigned that to get the potion, now what's the next step." I agreed but then in the end we were both a bit shocked that the fight wasn't staged but Ollie really did beat him that easily. I'll forgive it but agree they should have cut out 45-60 seconds elsewhere to raise the stakes of that fight.

Scott
post #2024 of 2411 Old 02-15-2016, 07:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkygod1 View Post
The show did make up for it when Waller was killed.

Isn't Waller suppose to run the Suicide Squad?
I will say I was shocked when Waller was killed. But then it made total sense to me. The TV shows (Arrow and Flash) are on total embargo/lockdown with anything to do with the Suicide Squad now with the movie coming out so it made sense to off her and close that thread. It's also why you won't see Slade again any time soon (just read that in an interview).

I also wonder if the same thing was done with the League of Assassins being disbanded and no more Ra's al Ghul. With Batman now back in movies and Ra's is really a primary Batman villian one has to wonder if he and the League are now off limits to the TV show.

DC, why are you screwing this up?
Sparkygod1 likes this.

Scott
post #2025 of 2411 Old 02-15-2016, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I wouldn't call it a bad thing at all if we don't ever have to see the Leage of Assassins again. They were depicted so poorly that they really dragged the show down; the entire last season kind of sucked just because they were the Big Bad, so I'm all for moving on.
post #2026 of 2411 Old 02-16-2016, 04:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post
Just binged the past 4 episodes and really, really liked them. I find binging Flash and Arrow in 4-5 episodes blocks makes it better.

Anyway, this really bothered us to. My wife immediately looked at me and said "he lost on purpose, they arraigned that to get the potion, now what's the next step."
Me too. And I wonder, why they didn't put Malcolm's hand back on.

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #2027 of 2411 Old 02-16-2016, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5860 Post(s)
Liked: 6424
Talk about anticlimactic. That fight scene between Ollie in street clothes and Malcolm in full padded assassin gear was the very definition of the word. Another word: Lame. It was over in about 2 seconds, with no drama whatsoever. The typical weekly fights between Team Arrow and your average street thugs has more action and choreography.

And then Nessa, who's ascent to the top of the League order was THE most important thing in her life, was ret-conned as well. What, she's just giving up her life's work? Changed her mind about everything, just like that? You've gotta' be kidding.

And then, as long as we're talking about anticlimactic, how about that plotline involving Felicity's dad? Boy, that sure ended fast.

Why am I still watching this show?
post #2028 of 2411 Old 02-16-2016, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post

For the lovely sounds of a Canary of course.
cel4145 and Turrican4D like this.
post #2029 of 2411 Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked: 1619
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Since Ollie went soft, not quite the same show.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #2030 of 2411 Old 02-17-2016, 07:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonscott87 View Post
I also wonder if the same thing was done with the League of Assassins being disbanded and no more Ra's al Ghul. With Batman now back in movies and Ra's is really a primary Batman villian one has to wonder if he and the League are now off limits to the TV show.

DC, why are you screwing this up?

What's next, they cancel The Flash?

YOU ARE READING AVS FORUM

post #2031 of 2411 Old 02-17-2016, 08:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Carr View Post
What's next, they cancel The Flash?
LOL. If it weren't so popular I wouldn't put it past them.

You'd think with them going with the "multiverse" concept they would loosen up but bigger money to be made in the movies.

Scott
post #2032 of 2411 Old 02-18-2016, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thankfully, another quiet episode
post #2033 of 2411 Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 PM

A lot of slow-moving CWness this episode, but at least it means the writers have less chance to pull a stupid and most of it was fine if uneventful. With all the Donna and Quentin scenes I thought it was a build up to one of them dying. Lance (or the writer) should have been killed for saying "it was like the building attacked me." Which was one of the dumbest reactions from a cop to what was obviously a fake call to a building filled with explosives I can imagine.

Terrific being terrific was a nice moment but Rickards didn't sell that very well. She's probably been cured of paralysis and she was still just making jokes with all the emotion of just receiving a new puppy.

More well-orchestrated fighting this week but the sequences are becoming too frequent and shorter. So nearly every fight scene is over in a couple of minutes making it look far too easy for the good guys and less dramatic. One fight scene that last longer and earns some sweat would be better.

From the preview next week I actually thought Iris from Flash was going to become interesting, but it's an online crossover with Vixen. Sorry Iris, you are still destined to be even duller than Laurel.

post #2034 of 2411 Old 02-18-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
A lot of slow-moving CWness this episode, but at least it means the writers have less chance to pull a stupid and most of it was fine if uneventful. With all the Donna and Quentin scenes I thought it was a build up to one of them dying.
I was kind of hoping that answering the call would be his demise, but as soon as the building started crumbling, I sadly knew that we would be waiting even longer to find out who was in the grave, as they wouldn't kill him in such a lame way.
post #2035 of 2411 Old 02-19-2016, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:

More well-orchestrated fighting this week but the sequences are becoming too frequent and shorter. So nearly every fight scene is over in a couple of minutes making it look far too easy for the good guys and less dramatic. One fight scene that last longer and earns some sweat would be better.
At the very least, Damien Darhk's team learned not to bring full-body armor and assault rifles to a nail-gun/sledgehammer fight seeing how easily Team Arrow defeated a half-dozen or so well-equiped combat ghosts to start the episode, and then struggled twice to take down the demo team wielding only construction tools.
post #2036 of 2411 Old 02-19-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked: 1720
Quote:

Oliver's fight this week was hours long compared to the 30 second disposal of Merlin. So apparently the guy from the demolition crew that Oliver fought is a massively superior fighter to what Merlin was since it took Oliver ten times as long to dispose of him......
cel4145 and Turrican4D like this.
post #2037 of 2411 Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 PM

The soap is getting harder and harder to take. I've dumped Legends of Tomorrow, but have so much time invested in Arrow. Will contribute to ride it out for awhile, anyway. At least with all this soap I feel clean after watching.
daryl zero and cel4145 like this.

post #2038 of 2411 Old 02-20-2016, 08:30 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
The soap is getting harder and harder to take. I've dumped Legends of Tomorrow, but have so much time invested in Arrow. Will contribute to ride it out for awhile, anyway. At least with all this soap I feel clean after watching.
It's certainly such a shift from the first couple of seasons, which I really enjoyed. I keep watching more because I hope it gets better again than from enjoying it very much.

They need some new writers to breathe some life back into Arrow.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #2039 of 2411 Old 02-20-2016, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 1296
It's like the 1950 movie Broken Arrow.
post #2040 of 2411 Old 02-20-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel4145 View Post
It's certainly such a shift from the first couple of seasons, which I really enjoyed. I keep watching more because I hope it gets better again than from enjoying it very much.
Second season maybe, but that's only because they killed Tommy. The first season was weighed down by the soapy triangle and zero chemistry between Oliver and Laurel and Thea and her wild child drug problem. Which Laurel caught in season two.

Then the writers listened to all the shippers crying through season two and made Olicity a thing. And here we are ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page