VIKINGS on History - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 142Likes

post #991 of 1079 Old 12-06-2017, 05:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 59
yeah, Lagertha and Floki , best characters left , to me.......

find it hard to believe that king Harald could escape like that
without a fight in broad daylight.....

Having a hard time liking Ivar........ so far.......

still one of the best shows out....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 1079 Old 12-07-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNc View Post

I'm not sure how anyone could ever like this character. He seems to have no redeeming value IMO. It's getting harder to watch for me with fewer and fewer likable characters around . I love the show, but I want someone to root for.
post #993 of 1079 Old 12-07-2017, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
Is he supposed to be "likable" ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 1079 Old 12-07-2017, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 755 Post(s)
Liked: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
Is he supposed to be "likable" ?

Emphatically no. That was a great battle scene with excellent cinematography.
shivaji likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #995 of 1079 Old 12-07-2017, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
I kept hoping that Englishman would have let loose more arrows at the laughing Ivar during that very long scene.
Egan and JoeNc like this.
post #996 of 1079 Old 12-08-2017, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Ubbe is not very likable either, even by the English. So would your prefer Ivar the Boneless or Ubbe the peacemaker?
post #997 of 1079 Old 12-09-2017, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 59
If I was a crazy Viking I'd take Ivar as a leader, but
watching from tv, anyone but him as leader !
post #998 of 1079 Old 12-09-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
A great season opener. So well done. one of the best shows on right now. Great characters, beautiful visually, strong acting. The way they dispatched the head priest, just a tad harsh. Crazy Vikings in action.
Yeah when I watched the scene with Ivar and the head priest I couldn't help but think I'm going to be looking forward to Ivar's (eventual) death as he is one cruel dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
I'm not sure how anyone could ever like this character. He seems to have no redeeming value IMO. It's getting harder to watch for me with fewer and fewer likable characters around . I love the show, but I want someone to root for.
I like the warrior bishop a lot, and Bjorn. I bet Athelstan's son Alfred will become an interesting character too.

Sony 65A1E

Last edited by Egan; 12-09-2017 at 04:57 PM.
post #999 of 1079 Old 12-09-2017, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post

I like the warrior bishop a lot, and Bjorn. I bet Athelstan's son Alfred will become an interesting character too.
Yeah I guess Bjorn is OK overall. Lagertha is the one left I like, but I am not holding out hopes for a long life for her either nowadays.

I think overall, this episode reminded the viewers just how horrible these guys were. Charging into a church and slaughtering men women and children is not the same as fighting an army in France. I guess it was good to remind the viewers just how base and pagan these vikings were. It just makes them harder to root for. I had the same realization as when watching the Sopranos a bit. You grew to like some characters just enough until they were shown to be horrible individuals.
post #1000 of 1079 Old 12-09-2017, 06:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I guess Bjorn is OK overall. Lagertha is the one left I like, but I am not holding out hopes for a long life for her either nowadays.

I think overall, this episode reminded the viewers just how horrible these guys were. Charging into a church and slaughtering men women and children is not the same as fighting an army in France. I guess it was good to remind the viewers just how base and pagan these vikings were. It just makes them harder to root for. I had the same realization as when watching the Sopranos a bit. You grew to like some characters just enough until they were shown to be horrible individuals.
Oh yeah Lagertha how could I forget her, awesome character. I think I read somewhere that she's not going to appear very much this season though.

Sony 65A1E
post #1001 of 1079 Old 12-10-2017, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
A great season opener. So well done. one of the best shows on right now. Great characters, beautiful visually, strong acting. The way they dispatched the head priest, just a tad harsh. Crazy Vikings in action.
No way to know for sure but the writers may have got that from the Russian movie 'Andre Reblev' by Tarkovsky. Wild film, it was about a famous religious icon painter from way back when. There was a scene of some sort of marauders pillaging a church, witnessed by the title character, and they did that with one of the priests.

I still like it as well. I was wondering how they'll do without Ragnar/Fimmel and it won't be the same. Bjorn Ironsides is a nice young man but poor guy looks a bit goofy when he's trying to come across like a depraved Viking warrior.

Ivar is a handful all right, only sort of believable. Lagartha still excellent. Methinks the new Saxon priest/stud will be a force in the foreseeable future.

I too wondered about Harald's quick and seemingly easy escape, but then I also wonder how such a dysfunctional shrimp would be acclaimed king by even a small body of Norsemen.

Floki's discovery of Iceland not exactly like the historical Floki's discovery but oh man, THAT is some wild footage. What an adventure it would be to be among the first to visit that place, though one can only imagine that the innuit had already been there. I'll research that.
post #1002 of 1079 Old 12-10-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 505 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:
If I was a crazy Viking I'd take Ivar as a leader, but
watching from tv, anyone but him as leader !
Remember, when Ubbe left, only a small number of Vikings went with him. Far more remained with Ivar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Bjorn Ironsides is a nice young man but poor guy looks a bit goofy when he's trying to come across like a depraved Viking warrior.
I like Bjorn but no matter what, I can't not think of the character he played in The Hunger Games when I see him. I've only watched (very casually) the first or second movie though my wife and daughter watch all of them so I see/hear it when they watch it.
post #1003 of 1079 Old 12-10-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Floki's discovery of Iceland not exactly like the historical Floki's discovery but oh man, THAT is some wild footage. What an adventure it would be to be among the first to visit that place, though one can only imagine that the innuit had already been there. I'll research that.
Yeah love the Iceland footage, some of my favorite 4K vids to watch on YT are of Iceland, so beautiful and kind of surreal. I like the writers' style of showing us Floki's visions like the backwards waterfall and his god sightings. Wondering if he will eventually leave and tell the rest of the gang what he found, or if he'll die there alone, or if others will follow and find him living there.
erhurd likes this.

Sony 65A1E
post #1004 of 1079 Old 12-10-2017, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
My favorite character would be Ivar the Dead.
Don S, thehun and cyfman like this.
post #1005 of 1079 Old 12-11-2017, 11:17 AM
PMA

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
My favorite character would be Ivar the Dead.
Agree 100%. He's a psychopath with bloodlust and that's all. Would like to see Bjorn come back and assert his leadership as the first son of Ragnar. Don't really care for the plot lines this season so far.
post #1006 of 1079 Old 12-12-2017, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
I like Bjorn but no matter what, I can't not think of the character he played in The Hunger Games when I see him. I've only watched (very casually) the first or second movie though my wife and daughter watch all of them so I see/hear it when they watch it.
With the Ragnar character, they didn't start with a guy who needed to play a believable 18 to 20 year old. Ludvig was born in '92 - Fimmel in '79. I think he, Ludvig, does a decent job but it will be hard to age him very much in a short time.

I'm torn about Ivar. I don't like him either but I wonder if my strong ancestral ties (Scottish, Irish, and Scando) make me want to like these guys overmuch - guys who probably weren't all that likable. Ragnar/Fimmel did a good balancing act - murdering, torturing marauder but sensitive man of history in some ways as well.
post #1007 of 1079 Old 12-14-2017, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Any history buffs know what the political situation was in Sicily in this era? Sounded like the locals were speaking Greek but the military looked Arabic. Really liking this season except for the King Harald/Astrid/Lagartha storyline.

Sony 65A1E
post #1008 of 1079 Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
Any history buffs know what the political situation was in Sicily in this era? Sounded like the locals were speaking Greek but the military looked Arabic. Really liking this season except for the King Harald/Astrid/Lagartha storyline.

If I remember correctly everyone in the Mediterranean including the Iberians, Syrians claimed Sicily at one point in time.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #1009 of 1079 Old 12-14-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomo657 View Post
If I remember correctly everyone in the Mediterranean including the Iberians, Syrians claimed Sicily at one point in time.
OK I googled it, Arabs seized Sicily from the Byzantines in this time period, which explains the Arabic looking soldiers and a Greek speaking local proxy ruler.

Sony 65A1E
post #1010 of 1079 Old 01-27-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Season 5 has been a disappointment. After Ragnar died, things just came apart. Episode 10 was a sad joke, filled with flashbacks.

The preview for Season 6 or Episode 11 is kind of a spoiler for things to come. There is not much more to invest in Vikings.

Should have been done at the end of Season 3.
cyfman likes this.
post #1011 of 1079 Old 01-28-2018, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

VIKINGS on History

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
Season 5 has been a disappointment. After Ragnar died, things just came apart. Episode 10 was a sad joke, filled with flashbacks.

The preview for Season 6 or Episode 11 is kind of a spoiler for things to come. There is not much more to invest in Vikings.

Yes whoever decided the flashbacks was the way to end the season and show a critical battle needs to get canned it was dreadful storytelling.

post #1012 of 1079 Old 01-28-2018, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4434 Post(s)
Liked: 5761
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Quote:
Yes whoever decided the flashbacks was the way to end the season and show a critical battle needs to get canned it was dreadful storytelling.
I watched a number of this season's episodes but haven't been able to motivate myself to watch any more of them. Made up my mind today to give up on the show. I have deleted my season pass and all of the unwatched episodes accumulated on my TiVo.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player; Mac Mini HTPC. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+
post #1013 of 1079 Old 01-28-2018, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Horrible disappointment! The show has lost its mojo.

Spoiler!
post #1014 of 1079 Old 01-29-2018, 12:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
I like the show just as much, Ragnar was kind of a shadow of his previous self before his long demise on screen so I don't miss him at all. I didn't know this was a season finale, as it was episode 10, the show runners can't seem to make up their mind of how long season should last. will be back for next season for sure.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #1015 of 1079 Old 01-29-2018, 03:59 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 12715
^^^ They called it a mid-season finale. Milking it... I believe the rest of the season is already "in the can". Rollo coming back should be interesting.
thehun likes this.

Make me grow brainiac fingers, but with more hair!
post #1016 of 1079 Old 01-29-2018, 04:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The season isn’t bad several great battles and plots but the flashbacks weren’t necessary just distracting. Hopefully the Floki storyline is fleshed out.

post #1017 of 1079 Old 01-29-2018, 05:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

The problem for me after Ragnar died and Floki left , was that there just isn't any likable characters for me any more. I like Lagertha, though perhaps a bit less as time goes on. But I really don't feel the urge to root for anyone this year. Ivar is beyond redemption, I don't care much about the other Ragnar sons I have to say. Most of the interesting women are killed off. I hate the other kings. I do find the warrior priest interesting I guess.

For a show like this, I need someone who I care about to root for to keep my interest. While I still watch, the show seems considerably less than it was IMO
shivaji, gwsat and cyfman like this.
post #1018 of 1079 Old 01-29-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 2189
Quote:
Originally Posted by snpanago View Post
Horrible disappointment! The show has lost its mojo.

Spoiler!
I think he was going home (especially with the description of the episode mentioning that a great warrior returns home and no one else did. So I don't think he will have much of a role in the show.

post #1019 of 1079 Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I think he was going home (especially with the description of the episode mentioning that a great warrior returns home and no one else did. So I don't think he will have much of a role in the show.
I think if he tries to exert his influence and regain power either with or without Lagertha, to fight Ivar, should be good for at least a couple episodes.
post #1020 of 1079 Old 01-29-2018, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked: 1094
Quote:
The problem for me after Ragnar died and Floki left , was that there just isn't any likable characters for me any more. I like Lagertha, though perhaps a bit less as time goes on. But I really don't feel the urge to root for anyone this year. Ivar is beyond redemption, I don't care much about the other Ragnar sons I have to say. Most of the interesting women are killed off. I hate the other kings. I do find the warrior priest interesting I guess.

For a show like this, I need someone who I care about to root for to keep my interest. While I still watch, the show seems considerably less than it was IMO
I hear you, but Ragnar's character hasn't been that for a long time IMO [for someone to root] and much like GOT the main characters keep dying without mercy right from the beginning so yes it is bound to happen at one point that one's favorite character will be gone for sure and then feel like you do. For me it it is the story line that keeps me interested though I admit I'm not shaking with excitement, but still worth my time. YMMV.

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page