post #1621 of 1736 Old 12-03-2019, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2513 Post(s)
Liked: 1005
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
If Ray doesn't want to do this anymore and his partner left. What will become of this show? Is it just going to become Ray in retirement on a beach? Seems like an odd choice for them to go after all these years.
I don't think he will be permanently done.

He's going to need money. Bridget and Smitty seem to be working for him too. Lena left probably for the L Word show that they're going to recycle again.

But yeah, didn't expect him to give up the incriminating pictures, just because Molly said his sister said nice things about him. Kevin Sullivan did offer him a million dollars so maybe he can get that money and it will cover him for awhile.

Mickey is going to come back and their little coverup for the dead cops will fall apart. That detective isn't giving up.

So he'll have to pull something and probably find another benefactor who will pay him, though he killed the Susan Sarandon character and then just screwed over Ferrati so maybe prospective employers should be wary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1736 Old 12-03-2019, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
If Ray doesn't want to do this anymore and his partner left. What will become of this show? Is it just going to become Ray in retirement on a beach? Seems like an odd choice for them to go after all these years.
I think they're trying to show us that all the changes he's been through are starting to get to him. Agreeing to sit down and talk regularly for therapy with Dr. Amiot is something of a breakthrough for a man of few words like Ray, but...notice how he's really drinking heavy now (or at least heavier-than-usual for him)? Things that used to be easy for Ray to control are now out-of-control, and the booze won't help that, at all.

He still seems to be in mourning over Abby's tragic death after all this time, and now he's seen his kids grow up and get independent (with the son actually trying to get about as far away from him as possible). Lena has finally had enough of all the crap that goes with that kind of work and is heading back to sunny California, and it looks like Ray will probably never have anyone like Avi working for him again, etc.

Then there's the Donovan brothers, Ray must be finally realizing that trying to give them guidance of any kind is like trying to herd cats.

And now he's p*ssed off the Mayor, the only guy who can keep the NYPD detectives away from him. Hmmm...better go have another drink, Ray!
Garrett Adams, Ph8te and WilliamR like this.

Don't fear the Reaper. Fear the Repack!
post #1623 of 1736 Old 12-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just recently started watching (on season 3 now), but love the show so far. Since I don't want any spoilers, I really didn't search the thread, but does anyone know what car he drives? I searched a bit and found he switched cars in later season, but couldn't find any good details on his Mercedes. I believe it's a CLS550, but I saw a Maybach badge on it once. Anyone know?

Denon AVR-3803 - RTi-70 Fronts - FXi-30 Surrounds - RTi-38 Back Surrounds - Csi-40 Center - PSW350 Sub - Samsung un60JS8000 SUHD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 1736 Old 12-17-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3081 Post(s)
Liked: 4063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablorock View Post
I just recently started watching (on season 3 now), but love the show so far. Since I don't want any spoilers, I really didn't search the thread, but does anyone know what car he drives? I searched a bit and found he switched cars in later season, but couldn't find any good details on his Mercedes. I believe it's a CLS550, but I saw a Maybach badge on it once. Anyone know?
Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Coupe
Ph8te likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1625 of 1736 Old 12-18-2019, 06:51 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2078 Post(s)
Liked: 2684
Found this episode VERY boring. Ray goes to an amusement park - wow real fun. They, once again, reminisce about their departed sister. Bunchie doing stupid things again. The whole Parkinson's story line with Terry is just boring, sad, but boring. This has become way less of a fixer show and just what does Ray do to kill spare time.

post #1626 of 1736 Old 12-18-2019, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Found this episode VERY boring. Ray goes to an amusement park - wow real fun. They, once again, reminisce about their departed sister. Bunchie doing stupid things again. The whole Parkinson's story line with Terry is just boring, sad, but boring. This has become way less of a fixer show and just what does Ray do to kill spare time.
Agree. Less of the brothers, more of Sandy and her adventures.
WilliamR likes this.
post #1627 of 1736 Old 12-18-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeorwell View Post
Agree. Less of the brothers, more of Sandy and her adventures.
When the big guy picked her up, that was hilarious. She is an excellent edition to the show/cast.
thehun likes this.

post #1628 of 1736 Old 12-18-2019, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When the big guy picked her up, that was hilarious. She is an excellent edition to the show/cast.
Couldn't stop laughing at that scene! The big guy is practically catatonic, gets a few Amps across his nips, and then suddenly turns into Superman? Whaa???

Also couldn't stop laughing at the scene with the NYC city worker in charge of the traffic violations impound yard; every New Yorker who has ever had their vehicle towed away by the City probably stood up and cheered at the outcome.

And that WEIRD deer scene; surreal, but definitely a scenario that happens dozens of times per week all over downstate and upstate. R.I.P., "Bambi!"

This episode was definitely off-beat, probably due to the fact that it was the directorial debut of actor Dash Mihok, who plays "Bunchy."

And Sandy is the "glue" that holds the Donovan guys together...she is practically their "surrogate mom!"
thehun and shivaji like this.

Last edited by Al_the_xmtr_tech; 12-18-2019 at 08:57 AM.
post #1629 of 1736 Old 12-18-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 908
Now, is Terry dead? He appeared to fall asleep but then his hand shaking stopped. Is that normal with Parkinson's?

Bobby 

post #1630 of 1736 Old 12-18-2019, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Now, is Terry dead? He appeared to fall asleep but then his hand shaking stopped. Is that normal with Parkinson's?
When my Dad was in the earlier stages, much like Terry, the tremor was reduced or eliminated during sleep .. as it progressed to the other arm, etc, sleep did not help it as much ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1631 of 1736 Old 12-18-2019, 09:46 AM

Quote:
If the show can bring further attention to folks that watch it, of Terry's struggle, I'm all for it .. I don't find it boring at all .. I think it's a physical and emotional journey that the writers decided to tell .. Ray and Terry re-bonding as well ..

There is no doubt that since Abby's death and the move to NYC, things have changed .. I would agree that it's somewhat of a different show .. as things have moved more toward a different style of Drama, I can also understand why viewers that have been all in from the jump may begin to wonder what's up ..

For me, I still very much enjoy it .. Sandy is hilarious and apparently ruthless as well .. I do get a little tired of Mickey's rinse and repeat shenanigans ..
thehun and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

post #1632 of 1736 Old 12-18-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah I guess an old woman reminiscing about being finger-banged behind the rectory when they were 15 is funny.

I think the show suffered when they killed off Avi and now Lena has bailed too.
Garrett Adams likes this.
post #1633 of 1736 Old 12-19-2019, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Yeah I guess an old woman reminiscing about being finger-banged behind the rectory when they were 15 is funny.

I don't know if it's fair to select one small scene as an indicator of a characters worth to a show .. overall, I think Sandy has been a good addition .. agree that the "finger" bit did fall flat ..

Also agree with Avi and Lena .. they both brought something to the table that is now missing .. especially Avi ..

Uncle Willie

post #1634 of 1736 Old 12-19-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 749
The whole Terry story line is not what I watch this show for.
WilliamR likes this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #1635 of 1736 Old 12-19-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2442 Post(s)
Liked: 2082
I'm finding these shows are beginning to wear out their welcome. Showtime is stuck in the archaic cable channel business model. I may see how silly "Homeland" is in it's final season and that will be it.
post #1636 of 1736 Old 12-23-2019, 01:17 PM

I can't believe Ray walked away from Daryll during that heated exchange ..
shivaji and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

post #1637 of 1736 Old 12-23-2019, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6740 Post(s)
Liked: 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I can't believe Ray walked away from Daryll during that heated exchange ..

Ray is a tough SoB
mgkdragn likes this.
post #1638 of 1736 Old 12-23-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Ray is a tough SoB
Yeah, that's true .. but he knew Daryll was out for a fight when Daryll said something like "You think I'm just a (blank) .. just go ahead and say it .."

Uncle Willie

post #1639 of 1736 Old 12-23-2019, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6740 Post(s)
Liked: 6591
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yeah, that's true .. but he knew Daryll was out for a fight when Daryll said something like "You think I'm just a (blank) .. just go ahead and say it .."

That’s the thing, Ray for the most part has treated him as good as the rest of the family. So while D was full of anger he didn’t have a leg to stand on. Micky while a favorite here, is a “bad person” and always looks out for himself 1st which often leads to poisoning the water/relationships.
gwsat likes this.
post #1640 of 1736 Old 12-23-2019, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Wow, that was another John Dahl-directed episode, too, IIRC. I think we're starting to see little hints here and there indicating that Ray is "softening up," perhaps as a result of his therapy with Dr. Arnot, and perhaps even the distraction of the hot new GF. When you think about it, this just might be the beginning of Ray's undoing. I thought that whole car-deer collision scene in the previous ep was set up to show us that Ray is starting to feel empathy. I noticed how he hesitated shooting the wounded deer...Terry even had to shout at him to hurry up and kill the animal. And, losing that one-on-one to Daryl may be just another clue that Ray is "slipping." With everything that's in play now, I hate to say this but you can sorta feel the end of the series slowly approaching!

post #1641 of 1736 Old 12-23-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
That’s the thing, Ray for the most part has treated him as good as the rest of the family. So while D was full of anger he didn’t have a leg to stand on. Micky while a favorite here, is a “bad person” and always looks out for himself 1st which often leads to poisoning the water/relationships.
Yes, Daryll has always been treated like one of the Brothers .. Mickey, on the other hand, is a user and will play anyone for anything that furthers Mickey's current agenda .. he could care less about them, unless he can use them .. and Daryll just gets sucked in, over and over ..
gwsat and Ph8te like this.

Uncle Willie

post #1642 of 1736 Old 12-23-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Ray use racial slur on his brothers?
post #1643 of 1736 Old 12-23-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
That last scene was a bit irksome. So Mick, an old man, was hustling at a pretty good pace away from the bar. Are we to assume that he was doing so because he was evading or luring Ray? Are we to then assume that Daryl was laying in wait and out of the blue, sucker punches him, for what exactly? An old slight, for getting MIck out of the Country and setting him up on an Caribbean Island? It is also not like Daryl, to hit someone from behind, especially a brother and to do so with a bottle. Also, as mentioned, Ray turning his back on the guy and winding up as he did. I didn't dig that ending at all.
I don't know what's up with Daryll, but it all has to be leading up to something .. I don't see anyway in the World Mickey could have known Ray was at that Gay Pride fest .. unless I missed something ..

I agree, Ray turning his back on Daryll was just out of character, IMO ..

Uncle Willie

post #1644 of 1736 Old 12-24-2019, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
I thought the scene in which Ray retrieved Sandy’s credit card from the gay bar’s bartender was inspired. I laughed out loud when Ray ordered a drink and the bartender asked Ray if he wanted to run a tab. Then, without saying a word, Ray slid the card back across the bar to the bartender. Great stuff!

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #1645 of 1736 Old 12-24-2019, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Loved the bartender's line to Ray after Ray (lying, of course) tells him that he's there to pick up the credit card that was left behind by his "mother," Sandy:

"...she's your mother?...what was it like growing up with HER???" Ray orders a drink, then looks away, silent..."oh, I get it...you're saving it for your therapist."
thehun and gwsat like this.

post #1646 of 1736 Old 12-24-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I thought the scene in which Ray retrieved Sandy’s credit card from the gay bar’s bartender was inspired. I laughed out loud when Ray ordered a drink and the bartender asked Ray if he wanted to run a tab. Then, without saying a word, Ray slid the card back across the bar to the bartender. Great stuff!
Hmmm .. if you take the theory shivaji previously posted and combine that with your post on the Credit Card, maybe Mickey was luring Ray into the confrontation ..

Uncle Willie

post #1647 of 1736 Old 12-24-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked: 749
Finally a good episode, the best of the season so far. I find this season has been lacking and really kinda boring at times.
gwsat and mylan like this.

RIP John, my best friend. Oct 17th 1966 - Nov 13th 2010

RIP Victor, my dad, June 26th 1927 - April 13th 2011
post #1648 of 1736 Old 12-25-2019, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4495 Post(s)
Liked: 5859
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post
Finally a good episode, the best of the season so far. I find this season has been lacking and really kinda boring at times.
I agree that this week’s episode was terrific. It just goes to show that there is no substitute for great writing.
WilliamR likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #1649 of 1736 Old 12-26-2019, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Katherine Moennig has moved back to her role as Shane, in the new edition of "L-Word: Generation Q". I suspect she requested being written out of "Ray Donovan".
post #1650 of 1736 Old 12-26-2019, 02:06 PM

While I agree this was the best episode of the season so far, I find it hard to believe Ray couldn't take his fat brother easier. Sure he was a boxer but not that good and hasn't trained in a long time.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page