Forum Jump: 
 1310Likes

post #31 of 2971 Old 09-09-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 947
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the promo in which The Flash is saving the bicycle guy hit by a taxi not being physically possible. Going that fast to catch someone would be like that bicyclist hitting a brick wall at over 400 mph. He'd be one dead dude.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 2971 Old 09-09-2014, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the promo in which The Flash is saving the bicycle guy hit by a taxi not being physically possible. Going that fast to catch someone would be like that bicyclist hitting a brick wall at over 400 mph. He'd be one dead dude.
When you get within a certain range you become enveloped in Flash's warp bubble and instantly accelerate to the same speed. Penetrating the skin of the warp bubble is at once both gradual and instantaneous so you never feel the effect of the motion forces involved.

It's also why Flash can deliver pizza without the toppings sliding off.

post #33 of 2971 Old 09-10-2014, 12:07 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

As good a theory as any.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 2971 Old 09-10-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post

But then you have to go back to the initial suspension of reality of a human being able to travel at 400mph.
post #35 of 2971 Old 09-10-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1814
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
It's also why Flash can deliver pizza without the toppings sliding off.

Flash pizza will be there 30 seconds or less.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #36 of 2971 Old 09-11-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
But then you have to go back to the initial suspension of reality of a human being able to travel at 400mph.
That is what has made him special.

post #37 of 2971 Old 09-11-2014, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Flash pizza will be there 30 seconds or less.

And the pizza doesn't even have to be cooked before he starts the delivery run because the friction from the high speed will cook it on the way!
post #38 of 2971 Old 10-07-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I have to admit I was wary of how they would pull this off and the opening about a particle accelerator made me think 'gimmie a break' but I was starting to think that was a cover story in the middle and at the end. I found the running sometimes looked laughable and at times Barry could of used his speed but did not (inexperience?) and still do not know why he just did not just go through the tornado.

Anybody else think Barry's father really did do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
And the pizza doesn't even have to be cooked before he starts the delivery run because the friction from the high speed will cook it on the way!
Oh yeah. What's stopping it burning up thou? Special pizza box I guess.

Last edited by wuther; 10-07-2014 at 08:40 PM.
post #39 of 2971 Old 10-07-2014, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Barry's father couldn't have done it because they showed him trying to hold back Barry from going into the room to save his mom.

Dr Harrison however ... Clearly he is up to something and has access to some temporal doohickey. He could steal Barry's power and go back to that moment. Please don't spoil it if any comic fans know.

I noticed the guy shown in the room looked like John Wesley Shipp's old Flash. Also noticed the "crisis" reference on the future headline too. I only know that it's a DC thing and not the specifics but that has to be an intentional nod to the Infinite Crisis storylines.

It's hard to screw up an origin story and I enjoyed this one even though it does feel more Smallville-y than Arrow. The stoner kid genius already wins the prize for most annoying thing on the show but the running closeups look goofy too. They remind me of No Ordinary Family. They really should film Gustin trying to look like he's running fast on a treadmill because it looks like he's just stood in place waving his arms up and down.

There was also a very abrupt segue between Barry hitting the laundry truck and suddenly all the STAR labs crew know about his power and were ready to test it. I had to rewind to see if I had skipped over something.

post #40 of 2971 Old 10-07-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Will this show be on Hulu(+)?? I started watching my recording tonight and the audio was all garbled and then after about 3 minuted it kicked over to SD for the first 23 minutes of the show. I'm hoping they show it on Hulu.
post #41 of 2971 Old 10-07-2014, 09:44 PM - Thread Starter

First episode is repeated tomorrow night after the Arrow premiere.

post #42 of 2971 Old 10-07-2014, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
First episode is repeated tomorrow night after the Arrow premiere.
Yep, saw that right after I posted, got it set to record, hopefully the local CW will have it's act together tomorrow, they better not mess up Arrow too. LOL The station used to be a mess all the time, a lot of audio problems, but I watched Arrow all last year and don't remember a glitch, anyway hoping for the best.
post #43 of 2971 Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Decent episode. Not sure I like where it's heading with the guy working for the police department and that detective already knows his
secret identity. I always thought the appeal of the teacher by day/super hero by night formula is the secrecy where the people who work with you and even your own family don't even know you are.

I am not a comic fan, so I don't know the comic background of the show.
post #44 of 2971 Old 10-07-2014, 10:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 586
I liked it, will be in for the long haul. It was light, a bit of humor, and basically fun. I'm sick of dark shows like Gotham, and just want to be entertained.
Aleron Ives likes this.
post #45 of 2971 Old 10-07-2014, 11:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1814
We know the future doohickey can't be right because there won't be any newspapers in 2024.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #46 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 846
This may sound weird, but I hope the Flash is able to run considerably faster in future episodes. Sure, 700 mph is fast, but I seem to recall the comic book Flash being able to run 700 or even 7000 miles per second or better.
post #47 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked: 456
I checked it out and thought it wasn't too bad. Sure, there was some campy-ness to it. But I actually found it more entertaining than Gotham.
post #48 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
This may sound weird, but I hope the Flash is able to run considerably faster in future episodes. Sure, 700 mph is fast, but I seem to recall the comic book Flash being able to run 700 or even 7000 miles per second or better.

That would be "or better". Flash is exponentially faster than that.

Of the four Flashes, the fastest one is the third Flash: Wally West. It's kind of hard to measure his speed. We know that he can run so fast that he makes Superman look like he's standing still. If I remember correctly, when Wally really wants to move, he can go at 10 times the speed of light (whereas Superman at his fastest is only 8 times the speed of light). Flash is also known for being able to outrun Death, literally.
During one particular event, Flash was able to move faster than instantaneous movement. I know it doesn't make any sense, but it supposedly did happen.

There are five different barriers of speed that are possible to break: sound, light, time, dimensional, and speedforce. Flash is able to break all of them. Due to his speed, he actually has the ability to time travel anywhen he wants to and to jump to any different universe or dimension at will. Of course, breaking the speedforce barrier is what really lends him incredible abilities. He can actually control speed. He can take speed away from anything (example: he could turn Superman to stone by literally taking away his movement). He can also give speed to anything (example: he could send Superman across the universe at 1000x the speed of light by forcing the speed into him).
Flash is not only famous for these incredible levels of speed, but also for his complete control of his own body on a molecular scale. He can choose which of his molecules move at which speeds. This gives him two different abilities: a) the ability to vibrate a body part so fast that he can move through solid objects and b) the ability to make himself invisible by vibrating his molecules at a speed that prevents people from being able to see him.
Flash is also able to vibrate his arm so fast, that it became more dense than a black hole. When hitting something with that arm, he delivers something known as the Infinite Mass Punch. There are almost no beings in existence that can survive that hit. (He can also deliver normal punches at a rate of several million per second, which is enough to put most people down anyway).

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskScienceFi..._is_the_flash/

All of the Flashes were faster than the speed of light, which is 186,000 miles per second.
post #49 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Not bad. Will watch next week.
post #50 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for the info. Like Superman and the Hulk, it appears that the Flash has been given ludicrous "god-like" powers over the years. I remember a comic from the 1960s that had a foot race between Superman and the Flash that resulted in a tie, but at some point it was apparently decided to make Superman not quite the ne plus ultra character of the DC universe. I very much doubt that the TV series is going to depict the Flash having anywhere near that level of power, although it would be nice to see him approach or exceed light speed.
post #51 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Like Superman and the Hulk, it appears that the Flash has been given ludicrous "god-like" powers over the years. I remember a comic from the 1960s that had a foot race between Superman and the Flash that resulted in a tie, but at some point it was apparently decided to make Superman not quite the ne plus ultra character of the DC universe. I very much doubt that the TV series is going to depict the Flash having anywhere near that level of power, although it would be nice to see him approach or exceed light speed.
Flash eventually beat Superman in a race by a lot and claimed all the other losses or ties were "for charity"

I have to say I enjoyed the show and I wonder if they will take the character in the more goof ball direction that the Flash has in the animated series. He is always cracking a joke and sort of the class clown of the Justice League.

Laters,
Jeff

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...
My HT Construction Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
My 2.35:1 Discussion Thread - Updated Pictures 3/15/07
XBL = eqshadimar

Last edited by eq_shadimar; 10-08-2014 at 12:45 PM.
post #52 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post
Flash eventually beat Superman in a race by a lot and claimed all the other losses or ties were "for charity"

I have to say I enjoyed the show and I wonder if they will take the character in the more goof ball direction that the Flash has in the animated series. He is always cracking a joke and sort of the class clown of the Justice League.

Laters,
Jeff
To me, changing the result from a tie to Flash winning easily just proves what I've always said whenever people start talking about who would win in a contest between fictional characters: Whomever the writer of the story decides.
Mark12547 likes this.
post #53 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked: 1947
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eq_shadimar View Post

Laters,
Jeff

It's funny you guys mention that, as this was one of the posts I found when looking for clarification earlier:

It's already been established that all of the Flashes can move past light-speed via the Speed Force. As for Superman, he's never shown to move at light-speed while running. This should answer your question, though. This scan was taken from Flash v2, #220.

Flash states that Superman is moving at over 2000 miles/sec, which is also over 120,000 miles/minute, and also 7,200,000 mph. That's Mach 9350. I believe this is that fastest that I've seen Superman move under the Earth's atmosphere. He can, however, break light speed in the vacuum of outer space.

The thread where the post came from: http://www.comicvine.com/speedsters/...an-run-535316/
post #54 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 653
I wonder what it's like to be watching this show without a lot of comic book knowledge. If you are unfamiliar with the Flash as a comic book character, and Barry Allen in particular... then you probably miss a lot of things... and some of the "I wonder if" stuff you wouldn't have to wonder.
mike1812 likes this.
post #55 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
I wonder what it's like to be watching this show without a lot of comic book knowledge. If you are unfamiliar with the Flash as a comic book character, and Barry Allen in particular... then you probably miss a lot of things... and some of the "I wonder if" stuff you wouldn't have to wonder.
I know almost nothing about Flash and it didn't affect my enjoyment. My knowledge of comics in general is pretty vague now as it is but just like Arrow you can usually tell when there's a reference to lore somewhere even if you don't fully grasp the meaning. Those nods are a fun extra for fans, but missing them doesn't ruin the general experience for me.

This is exactly what I mean. Comic book easter eggs in the pilot for the Flash newbies: http://observer.com/2014/10/easter-e...e-flash-pilot/

Last edited by VisionOn; 10-08-2014 at 04:03 PM.
post #56 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
I think it was one of the best constructed pilot episodes I've seen in a long time. Often critics will report that a new show pilot was OK but by episode 2 or 3 the show really takes off and is well worth watching. All The Flash needs is to keep doing what they're doing.
post #57 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 06:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Barry's father couldn't have done it because they showed him trying to hold back Barry from going into the room to save his mom.
Ah ok, I missed the first few minutes. Would of been more interesting if his father actually did do it after believing otherwise for so many years.

One thing the show lacked was attention to detail, Barry should not look like he just stepped out of the trailer after a run.
post #58 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

So with Barry appearing in the new episode of Arrow the pilot was the first genuine crossover moment.

post #59 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Dr Harrison however ... Clearly he is up to something and has access to some temporal doohickey. He could steal Barry's power and go back to that moment.
On the other hand, perhaps his ability to see the future means that he blew up the accelerator on purpose just so he could create Barry. Why he feels the need to pretend to be in a wheelchair, I don't know, but I suppose that makes him evil, because only bad guys pretend to be crippled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidt1 View Post
Decent episode. Not sure I like where it's heading with the guy working for the police department and that detective already knows his secret identity.
This show is taking pages from the Smallville playbook left and right. So far, I noticed:
  • A supernatural event used to explain random people having super powers (The Meteor Shower -> The Particle Accelerator)
  • Random people getting affected, gaining powers, and becoming evil, so the hero can have semi-challenging foes to face each week (Meteor Freaks -> Meta-humans)
  • A childhood friend and love interest whom the hero will continually lie to under the pretext of keeping her safe (Lana -> Iris)
  • Witnesses conveniently getting knocked out to avoid seeing the hero's powers
  • The hero being a goody-goody who conveniently lets either extenuating circumstances or somebody else kill the bad guys for him, so he can keep his righteous quest pure and true

Please, please, tell me that Barry isn't going to pine away for Iris for 100+ episodes. I don't think I can take it again. x.x

If we take zeus33's information into account, we can also expect the early seasons to slowly reveal Barry's various abilities as he masters his powers, just as Clark did (X-ray vision, heat vision, super hearing, flight). I would agree with RobertR, though, that Barry probably won't become as powerful as he's become after the various comic retcons over the years, as that would make the show hard to sustain, as a) you can't create villains capable of withstanding a black-hole arm on a weekly basis with a TV budget, and b) you probably can't think of enough villains capable of surviving those powers to fill multiple seasons. I wouldn't be surprised if the ability to move through solid objects or to become invisible makes its way into the show eventually, though.

I just hope they don't go the Smallville route with simple meteor-freak-of-the-week episodes for multiple seasons. Let's get some big bads on the scene now, please!

This is why CW remains my most-watched network. I like fun shows, and The Flash is looking to be a welcome respite from the doom and gloom of the other four networks.
post #60 of 2971 Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Please, please, tell me that Barry isn't going to pine away for Iris for 100+ episodes. I don't think I can take it again. x.x
I just hope she'll fare better than how Laurel's character from Arrow was supposed to.

So far I'm enjoying it, I got sick and tired of Oliver's angst and manpain after 2 seasons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the cw , the flash

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page