Forum Jump: 
 1310Likes

post #61 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 05:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1981 Post(s)
Liked: 2493
Excellent premiere, loved it. Totally in for the long haul already.

Barry's father - isn't he the actor that played the flash in the TV series way back in like the 80's?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 05:54 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Excellent premiere, loved it. Totally in for the long haul already.

Barry's father - isn't he the actor that played the flash in the TV series way back in like the 80's?
Yes, John Wesley Shipp. It's been mentioned frequently in the press and on the interwebs.
post #63 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 07:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quite enjoyable. I was instantly able to get into it, unlike Arrow. For some reason, the datk, brooding, angsty atmosphere of that show bores me.

They need to tone down the tech guy. He constantly had that smile/smirk on his face. Quite annoying. And then he kept coming up with all this tech. Oh I just happened to have this radio transmitter thingamabob. And, conveniently, here's this suit I was working on that perfectly fits the needs of somebody with superspeed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
They need to tone down the tech guy. He constantly had that smile/smirk on his face. Quite annoying. And then he kept coming up with all this tech. Oh I just happened to have this radio transmitter thingamabob. And, conveniently, here's this suit I was working on that perfectly fits the needs of somebody with superspeed.
You must not watch a lot of TV.
post #65 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 873 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You must not watch a lot of TV.

Too much, unfortunately. It just would have been nice to see an evolution of the suit. Have it be a short running gag for a couple episodes. Maybe have him wear Suit Version 1 and then have him come back half naked because it burned off. On to Version 2. Oops. Major chafing. Too tight.
post #66 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Quite enjoyable. I was instantly able to get into it, unlike Arrow. For some reason, the datk, brooding, angsty atmosphere of that show bores me.
Agreed, that's pretty much why I've already dropped it last season. I got sick of Oliver's constant misery, there wasn't any joy.
post #67 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I thought it was a great premiere and the crossover moments thrilled my inner geek. I was surprised so many new his identity right off the bat, but with some thought, I realized that it's probably because modern audiences don't accept the traditional secret identity methods any more. Wearing glasses isn't enough for today's comic book audience. So why bother?

I agree with the above comments about the suit. Would have been fun to see variations for a few episodes, until they got it right. I can also see the angst in the possible meta-human of the week. Definitely wouldn't want that, and why would there be only one virtuous one and every single other person choose evil? Hope the writers do better than that...

I don't know a great deal of Flash lore, but I do know the story surrounding his mom's death. And there's lots of spoiler set photos on the internet today, as a matter of fact. If the writers say they are going to produce the most faithful adaptation to date, then hang on, this is going to be fun!
mike1812 likes this.

Last edited by bpeacock22; 10-09-2014 at 09:20 AM.
post #68 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I thought it was a great premiere and the crossover moments thrilled my inner geek. I was surprised so many new his identity right off the bat, but with some thought, I realized that it's probably because modern audiences don't accept the traditional secret identity methods any more. Wearing glasses isn't enough for today's comic book audience. So why bother?
That and there's really no point in hiding it that much.
post #69 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 05:49 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 7230 Post(s)
Liked: 16437
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machuran View Post
That and there's really no point in hiding it that much.
The main reason to hiding their identity is to protect their friends and family. And are you telling me you know Clark is Superman when he's wearing his glasses? No way, Jose.
MikeKlim likes this.

post #70 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 06:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
If the writers say they are going to produce the most faithful adaptation to date, then hang on, this is going to be fun!
I wonder how an adaptation can be "faithful" when comic book stories get completely changed every ten years. You can't be faithful to one version without being unfaithful to five others, so that sounds like a bad promise to make.
Phrehdd and TorTorden like this.
post #71 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 06:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
On the other hand, perhaps his ability to see the future means that he blew up the accelerator on purpose just so he could create Barry. Why he feels the need to pretend to be in a wheelchair, I don't know, but I suppose that makes him evil, because only bad guys pretend to be crippled.
Bad guys except for the president of SCTV.
post #72 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
The main reason to hiding their identity is to protect their friends and family. And are you telling me you know Clark is Superman when he's wearing his glasses? No way, Jose.
And that point becomes moot when they're constantly having to be saved or are in danger. It's one thing to hide from strangers, but not from the closest people that you should be able to trust.
post #73 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Too much, unfortunately. It just would have been nice to see an evolution of the suit. Have it be a short running gag for a couple episodes. Maybe have him wear Suit Version 1 and then have him come back half naked because it burned off. On to Version 2. Oops. Major chafing. Too tight.
IIRC, in the 1990 show he did just that. Kept burning out his shoes and shredding his clothing. I was waiting for that to happen in this version too. Must be those new supa Nike's.

Quote:
And that point becomes moot when they're constantly having to be saved or are in danger. It's one thing to hide from strangers, but not from the closest people that you should be able to trust.
The ones closest to you are the ones that cause the most trouble.

post #74 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The ones closest to you are the ones that cause the most trouble.
And keeping things from them will only make things worse especially if they get suspicious and want answers.
post #75 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuther View Post
Bad guys except for the president of SCTV.
...?
post #76 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
And keeping things from them will only make things worse especially if they get suspicious and want answers.
It's best if they don't know. For example, Frozone's wife knew about his identity and when he needed his suit to fight crime she said no.

post #77 of 2971 Old 10-09-2014, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It's best if they don't know. For example, Frozone's wife knew about his identity and when he needed his suit to fight crime she said no.

http://youtu.be/x2qRDMHbXaM
Which is clearly a comedic moment, her being in the dark wouldn't stop the danger of the robot attacking the city, in fact she would probably worry about her husband even more if he 'disappeared' to defeat the villain.
post #78 of 2971 Old 10-10-2014, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

My problem with the whole do-or-don't tell your significant other about your powers "dilemma" is the arrogance these "heroes" typically display. If you're going to marry someone, that person deserves to know the truth about you. Marrying someone while constantly lying to that person is not the basis upon which to build a lasting and successful relationship.

The "hero" always paints it as a matter of keeping the person safe, but it's arrogant for the "hero" to think that the prospective partner is incapable of making decisions or understanding the gravity of the situation; i.e. it's about trust as much as anything else. It doesn't matter whether it's the obnoxious Clark/Lana relationship or any other: your prospective spouse deserves to decide whether to marry you for who you are and not for the fake persona you project. If marriage is an equal partnership between two people, you're sabotaging the partnership from the beginning by not treating the other person as an equal.

The "hero" should take one of two options:
  1. Reveal everything in order to let the prospective spouse make an informed decision as to whether to get married; even if the prospective spouse rejects the proposal, the "hero" should have no worries about having a compromised identity, as the "hero" should have already judged the prospective spouse to be trustworthy by having been willing to marry that person in the first place
  2. Keep everything hidden and terminate the relationship so the prospective spouse can have the chance to actually marry someone trustworthy

but of course the "hero" rarely takes either of these options and instead either strings along the prospective spouse indefinitely or marries the spouse anyway within a web a lies. Either way, perhaps equal misery ensues both for the fictional characters and for the poor readers/viewers who have to suffer through the same stupid and easily preventable situations over and over again.

Of course, actually handling such situations responsibily wouldn't work very well for comic books, because they share the same open-ended nature as soap operas and are thus designed to continue ad nauseam, thus making the least sensible and most asinine course of action always the one taken so as to provide as much angst and plot "twists" as possible for future issues/seasons.

tl;dr

Barry, please tell Iris your identity before the end of the first season, as she is perfectly capable of making her own decisions, and her father has no business asking you to lie to her face every day just to make himself feel better. It's her life, not his. Thank you.

Last edited by Aleron Ives; 10-10-2014 at 04:28 AM.
post #79 of 2971 Old 10-10-2014, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I really enjoyed the pilot. Especially appreciated the completely different, less grim tone of the show compared to Arrow. That's what the latest Superman movie got all wrong. They made a Batman movie staring Superman. This series gets it right. The Flash should be fun and uplifting. Kudos for letting go of the angst. I will be disappointed if it becomes a meta-human of the week format. That will get real old real fast.

Effects were good. Sure, the closeups on him running don't work, but that's just the nature of the beast. That kind of shot will always look comical.

But my favorite part was having John Wesley Shipp play Barry's father. Shipp's Flash remains one of my all time favorite TV shows. So it's fun to see him involved in this show. Good move on the CW's part, adding a nostalgia element for us geezers watching their network.
mike1812 likes this.
post #80 of 2971 Old 10-10-2014, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfxproducer View Post
Effects were good. Sure, the closeups on him running don't work, but that's just the nature of the beast. That kind of shot will always look comical.
That could be an easy fix though. If they shot Gustin when he was actually running and at least looked like he was making an effort.

If Amell can do his scenes bouncing up a salmon ladder Gustin could at least do something that didn't look like he was sitting in a chair pumping his arms.

It might be easy for The Flash to run that fast but Barry isn't that good yet.

post #81 of 2971 Old 10-10-2014, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

At least it looks better than the early attempts to show Clark running quickly in Smallville. Those were almost as impressive as the "effect" of running the tape at double speed to make Adam West's Batmobile look like it was driving quickly.
post #82 of 2971 Old 10-10-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Finally had time to catch up with the Pilot episode. I didn't like Gustin that much when he was introduced on The Arrow so I wasn't expecting much, but we ended up really enjoying this one. Had a nice light tone, and not always filmed in the dark like Arrow. CW seems to know how to do this genre well.
post #83 of 2971 Old 10-10-2014, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
So the "industrialist" guy who supposedly was injured and can't walk can walk. What's up with that!
post #84 of 2971 Old 10-10-2014, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpillar View Post
So the "industrialist" guy who supposedly was injured and can't walk can walk. What's up with that!
Whether he is good or bad, he has some secrets which will be revealed in time.
post #85 of 2971 Old 10-11-2014, 06:30 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 832
I was looking forward to the premiere and finally got around to watching it today. For me it appeared they had a check list of people/arcs they had to create to fit the genre. They did it fairly well but brought nothing new to the table and targeted it for a younger audience than I. As such I'll probably check in a couple of times to see how things develop... if and when the DVR backlog allows.

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #86 of 2971 Old 10-12-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Regarding secret identities...

Clark and Superman... People always talk about "how can they not know" and "how do the glasses conceal"... but you forget, we readers are in on the secret already. Imagine a comic written where they never actually show you who the hero is... they write in some regular characters and then the hero pops in and they never show you which of those regulars it is... even then, you still know it is probably one of the regulars... but in "real life" Superman could be anyone... there is no reason for anyone to suspect Clark unless he does something to let them in on it. Lots of people look similar in real life too.

So, basically, it's easier to keep a secret identity than you might think IF you make an effort and when most people really aren't trying to find out anyway.

Meanwhile... sharing that identity... It makes sense to keep your secret to keep those around you safe. It prevents them from being targets AND it prevents them from accidentally doing stuff to cause you problems.

BUT... on Smallville... you had people like Lana getting hurt anyway, without knowing Clark's secret... she was constantly in danger and getting hurt anyway... so he wasn't helping her out by keeping his secret. Lana should have been told since she was already being hurt and in danger anyway. It would have helped him look out for her if she knew earlier.

So it depends... to me, you keep your secret as long as you can from the most people you can... only telling people from whom you need regular help OR people who are already in danger anyway.
post #87 of 2971 Old 10-12-2014, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Regarding secret identities...

Clark and Superman... People always talk about "how can they not know" and "how do the glasses conceal"... but you forget, we readers are in on the secret already. Imagine a comic written where they never actually show you who the hero is... they write in some regular characters and then the hero pops in and they never show you which of those regulars it is... even then, you still know it is probably one of the regulars... but in "real life" Superman could be anyone... there is no reason for anyone to suspect Clark unless he does something to let them in on it. Lots of people look similar in real life too.
Masks are one thing but Superman had the worst disguise ever and it's easy to prove how stupidly unconvincing it was because people do it every day. When you watch a show or movie and an actor is just wearing glasses or a beard as a different character it's still very easy to recognize them. It's even more glaring when you meet someone you know. Nobody has ever said "I never recognized you because you were wearing new glasses and a hat!"

post #88 of 2971 Old 10-12-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Masks are one thing but Superman had the worst disguise ever and it's easy to prove how stupidly unconvincing it was because people do it every day. When you watch a show or movie and an actor is just wearing glasses or a beard as a different character it's still very easy to recognize them. It's even more glaring when you meet someone you know. Nobody has ever said "I never recognized you because you were wearing new glasses and a hat!"
My next door neighbor of 10 years didn't recognize me in a store because I wasn't wearing any glasses. He'd never seen me with my contacts in without glasses of some sort. (Regular, reading, or sunglasses.)

So, silly as it sounds, it can happen. Took me by surprise.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #89 of 2971 Old 10-12-2014, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
My next door neighbor of 10 years didn't recognize me in a store because I wasn't wearing any glasses. He'd never seen me with my contacts in without glasses of some sort. (Regular, reading, or sunglasses.)

So, silly as it sounds, it can happen. Took me by surprise.
If he was looking at you face-to-face and didn't recognize you then maybe he's the one who needs glasses!

post #90 of 2971 Old 10-13-2014, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Anyone remember NBC's (deservedly) short-lived superhero show The Cape? The character's superhero disguise was... a hoodie. Yup, when the guy wanted to hide his identity, he'd just pull up his hoodie and even his own son wouldn't recognize him.

"Oh my god, where did that guy go? I was looking right at him, but now all I see is this completely different person wearing a hoodie. The first guy, no hoodie. This guy, hoodie. Clearly can’t be the same person. It boggles the mind!"

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the cw , the flash

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page