1318Likes

post #91 of 2977 Old 10-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
Thanks for the info. Like Superman and the Hulk, it appears that the Flash has been given ludicrous "god-like" powers over the years. I remember a comic from the 1960s that had a foot race between Superman and the Flash that resulted in a tie, but at some point it was apparently decided to make Superman not quite the ne plus ultra character of the DC universe. I very much doubt that the TV series is going to depict the Flash having anywhere near that level of power, although it would be nice to see him approach or exceed light speed.
Isn't that fairly common in the comics? there has to be more than a few story arcs about the flash being able to time travel (think there was a treadmill involved).

My first thought about the mom's supposed murder is Barry traveling back in time at some future point and accidentally causing her death, but then again that would seem a little dark for CW, here's hoping :-P

Have only seen the pilot on vudu so far, and found it a touch cheesy but it has promise it could definitely been worse. And since I bought the season pass in a moment of weakness i guess I'm in.

For one the flash is (to my limited knowledge) a far more optimistic character and generally wants to do good because he can, not because of some tortured need for redemption or messed up anger management like so many other DC "heroes" at least they haven't tried to make him "gritty" that would have just been sad.

Last edited by TorTorden; 10-13-2014 at 12:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2977 Old 10-13-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Here's a link to a discussion of Superman vs. Flash races in the comics over the years. The first race shown is the one I remember.

http://blog.paxholley.net/2010/05/14...s-flash-races/
post #93 of 2977 Old 10-13-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 1652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Anyone remember NBC's (deservedly) short-lived superhero show The Cape? The character's superhero disguise was... a hoodie. Yup, when the guy wanted to hide his identity, he'd just pull up his hoodie and even his own son wouldn't recognize him.

"Oh my god, where did that guy go? I was looking right at him, but now all I see is this completely different person wearing a hoodie. The first guy, no hoodie. This guy, hoodie. Clearly can’t be the same person. It boggles the mind!"

"Where is the commissioner?!"
psgcdn and TorTorden like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 2977 Old 10-14-2014, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
A good follow up episode thanks to the show still being in Barry's discovery stage. Those moments are always fun and for the most part the show is well cast enough that the characters all fit together and have good chemistry. Except Iris, who is a typical superhero trope and is barely above an extra.

The Villain of the Week is already beginning to be the weak spot however. Especially since at this point it's going to be hard to find something to hang a new superpower hook on. Multiplex this week was almost the same as another villain I saw on something else recently. Not to mention the big Matrix moment the final sequence had. I'd rather have less weekly supervillains and one major adversary over a few episodes with more Barry finding his feet scenes in regular crimes.

FX this week worked better too. No goofy close-ups. The cloning thing did demonstrate one of the lazy shortcuts I really hate about super cloning and metamorphosis. If it's an illusionary power then sure, clone your clothing. If it's physical then keep it to the body. Supernatural was one of the few shows that ever did this well. Until the new showrunners screwed it up with the same lazy shortcut.

I also miss the days when bullets actually caused physical damage and didn't just bounce of cars, barrels and cardboard with some post-FX sparks, but that's not a Flash thing. That's a TV thing.

post #95 of 2977 Old 10-14-2014, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 130
I hope Iris will find out/play a role since she's the only one who doesn't at this point.
post #96 of 2977 Old 10-15-2014, 01:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Yes, tonight's episode was a fun one, and we may have a start of a story arc.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #97 of 2977 Old 10-15-2014, 01:52 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked: 16720
So far so good. I'm digging this. The actor playing Harrison Wells was driving me nuts. I couldn't place him. It hit me tonight. He's Ranger Smith from Yogi Bear.

post #98 of 2977 Old 10-15-2014, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
Liked: 3527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
So far so good. I'm digging this. The actor playing Harrison Wells was driving me nuts. I couldn't place him. It hit me tonight. He's Ranger Smith from Yogi Bear.
Tom Cavanagh was the star of the NBC series 'Ed' for 4 seasons from 2000 to 2004.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #99 of 2977 Old 10-15-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Tom Cavanagh was the star of the NBC series 'Ed' for 4 seasons from 2000 to 2004.
I really liked him in 'Trust Me', he and Eric McCormack were partners in an advertising firm, short lived 1 season on TNT. I think me and about 3 other people liked it.
post #100 of 2977 Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 739 Post(s)
Liked: 610
I like Tom C. but to me he always plays himself. This role is a bit out of his wheelhouse, so it will be interesting to see how he plays it. He;s had a lot of shows over the years and lots of guest shots.
post #101 of 2977 Old 10-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Good,clean show. Enjoyed the many one liners.
post #102 of 2977 Old 10-16-2014, 06:25 PM

Liked: 0
Enjoyed the first two episodes, we'll see how it progresses. I have a bad feeling it is gonna be a new meta human every week.
post #103 of 2977 Old 10-17-2014, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 837
Whether good or bad for me this show is "Arrow Lite"... the next generation. One much younger than me...

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #104 of 2977 Old 10-17-2014, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
If "Arrow Lite" means it doesn't carry over the bad elements of Arrow, I agree. The Flash is light and fresh, not murky and plodding. I watch both CW shows and right now The Flash is giving me more bang for the buck.
MikeKlim and Machuran like this.
post #105 of 2977 Old 10-17-2014, 05:36 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6462 Post(s)
Liked: 7173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
If "Arrow Lite" means it doesn't carry over the bad elements of Arrow, I agree. The Flash is light and fresh, not murky and plodding. I watch both CW shows and right now The Flash is giving me more bang for the buck.
And I bet your 13 year old nephew enjoys it even more.

I keed! I keed! It's early yet. But it does seem to be striving for more of a lighter tone than the dark & brooding 'Arrow'. Which I quite enjoy. Might end up enjoying this one just as much.
Machuran likes this.
post #106 of 2977 Old 10-17-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 307
I like it okay, but... he's fast enough to move out of the way of bullets, but not fast enough to get away from incoming bad guys who then hold him down and beat him?
Plus, the 3 clones with no super skills and hand guns take out the security team veterans?

post #107 of 2977 Old 10-17-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Looks like we are going to be getting metahuman of the week, at least for a while... maybe during his discovery phase. But like another poster said, I too would like some kind of villain that stays around for a mini-arc. They've got some biggish names in Wentworth Miller and his costar from Prison Break (name escapes me). Maybe they will...

I hear episode 8 is the first major crossover. Excited!
post #108 of 2977 Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1890 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeacock22 View Post
They've got some biggish names in Wentworth Miller and his costar from Prison Break (name escapes me).

Dominic Purcell
post #109 of 2977 Old 10-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
And I bet your 13 year old nephew enjoys it even more.

I keed! I keed! It's early yet. But it does seem to be striving for more of a lighter tone than the dark & brooding 'Arrow'. Which I quite enjoy. Might end up enjoying this one just as much.
Thankfully, I got sick and tired of that show drowning characters in angst.
post #110 of 2977 Old 10-18-2014, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
Masks are one thing but Superman had the worst disguise ever and it's easy to prove how stupidly unconvincing it was because people do it every day. When you watch a show or movie and an actor is just wearing glasses or a beard as a different character it's still very easy to recognize them. It's even more glaring when you meet someone you know. Nobody has ever said "I never recognized you because you were wearing new glasses and a hat!"
And yet... in real life... many celebrities do just this... change their clothes, put on a hat and glasses... and hide amongst the regular population so they aren't noticed and followed as much.

The key here, and I know it's hard... you know Clark Kent is Superman. We get the peek behind the curtain from day one. What if you didn't know that? What if they never showed a panel in the comic of Clark taking off his glasses and becoming Superman? Would you then know this secret?

I see people every day when I go out that look like other people... sometimes they look like famous people other times they look like someone else I know... but my first thought is not "hey, that's Bob in a disguise"... my first thought is "that can't be Bob." And I dismiss it.

You assume everyone is always actively trying to uncover Superman's identity. IF that were true, nothing he could do would hide him.

Think locks on your house. If a thief really wants to get in, your locks mean nothing... but they deter most people from entering your home unwanted... and that's why you use them, not because they make your house impenetrable.

Same for Superman's disguise... most people don't know him or see him every day... most people aren't trying 100% to find out who he is all the time... and that's why it works. For the handful of people he sees every day (like Lois) he gets someone to pretend to be him so he can be seen in the same place (Clark and Superman) to cloud her thinking he might be the same person.

Barry has a reputation (in the comics and apparently in this show) for being late... so that helps discourage people who might think he is the Flash. Why would the Flash ever be late? He wears a mask but isn't disguising his voice so far... anyone who knows him should recognize his voice... but most people aren't going to be trying to figure that out.

The disguises work largely for the same reason magic works... people want to be fooled, we want to believe in magic more than we want to know what really is going on... so we look where we are misdirected to look in order to preserve the trick.
bpeacock22 likes this.
post #111 of 2977 Old 10-18-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 847 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
And yet... in real life... many celebrities do just this... change their clothes, put on a hat and glasses... and hide amongst the regular population so they aren't noticed and followed as much.
Reminds me of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat (1999) (IMDB: title; Netflix: DVD). Potiphar's wife looked good, but in the closing credits I didn't recognize that she was Joan Collins since the closing credits had different clothes and different makeup, and she looked old in the closing credits but not that old during the play.

And, yes, I can vouch that it is easy to not immediately recognize a person in real life in different clothes and location where one normally sees one if viewing from a distance. I went to college in a small college town and on rare occasion when we saw a professor out in the community in casual clothes it took a second take since we were used to seeing them dressed up and at the podium or chalk board. (Yes, when I went to college, they were chalk boards; we hadn't heard of "white boards" and "dry erase markers" at that time.)

But even then, up close, with the addition of the person's voice, recognition should be stronger. (Maybe that's why Superman tried to speak in a deeper voice than Clark Kent, yet even then, at least in the Adventures of Superman, a blind girl was able to recognize that the two were the same person until Superman started tearing phone books and bending fire pokers to convince the blind girl that he was doing more than Clark Kent could.

I think that's why The Flash needs a mask, but even then a girlfriend would probably recognize him if up close and personal.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #112 of 2977 Old 10-18-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Same for Superman's disguise... most people don't know him or see him every day... most people aren't trying 100% to find out who he is all the time... and that's why it works. For the handful of people he sees every day (like Lois) he gets someone to pretend to be him so he can be seen in the same place (Clark and Superman) to cloud her thinking he might be the same person.
Strangers quickly passing by on the street are not the problem area for superhero disguises. Superman's disguise only works because it makes those closest to him look like idiots. It has nothing to do with knowing both identities as a reader or viewer. In reality you don't forget what your friends and co-workers look like because they are wearing glasses and not wearing spandex and a cape.

Which is not only why it's easy to recognize Johnny Depp as a pirate when he us on screen even though you may have never met him, but also why paparazzi can track him down at an airport when he's wearing sunglasses and a hat.

And someone as famous and legendary in his world as Superman, whose image is known globally, would be easy for the crack journalists at the Daily Planet to figure out when they are stood next to him. In our reality any superhero not wearing a full mask and hiding in plain sight in a major city would be easy to find now. Facial recognition could find someone pretty easily if required. In the advanced tech worlds of comics it should be even easier.

It made Laurel on Arrow look stupid when she didn't recognize her sister from two feet away because she was wearing a blond wig and domino mask. Caity's chin dimple is amazingly distinctive. I could recognize her just by seeing a photo of her chin!

If you are not wearing at least a 3/4 mask as your alter ego or you are something different entirely, then you have to keep your fingers crossed all your friends and enemies are stupid.

Here's a quick test. This guy doesn't usually wear glasses or a hat. Who can guess what his real identity is?

Last edited by VisionOn; 10-18-2014 at 04:03 PM.
post #113 of 2977 Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sure it's
Spoiler!

post #114 of 2977 Old 10-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked: 16720
That was easy. See if you can guess who this is.

Spoiler!
psgcdn likes this.

post #115 of 2977 Old 10-18-2014, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
That was easy. See if you can guess who this is.

Spoiler!
Hal Jordan?

post #116 of 2977 Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
And, yes, I can vouch that it is easy to not immediately recognize a person in real life in different clothes and location where one normally sees one if viewing from a distance. I went to college in a small college town and on rare occasion when we saw a professor out in the community in casual clothes it took a second take since we were used to seeing them dressed up and at the podium or chalk board. (Yes, when I went to college, they were chalk boards; we hadn't heard of "white boards" and "dry erase markers" at that time.)
I'm in your camp on this debate, I don't recognize people's faces that well, I'm more inclined to pickup on their voice and their general movements. I watch the NBA and probably know 3/4 of the players, yet if shown a picture of them not in uniform I may recognize a 1/4 of them, probably much less. Let me watch them about a minute on the court, no matter if they are on a different team or from a distance that you can't make out any detail and I'll usually recognize them, I'm pretty much the same with voices.

My point is, I don't think it is as automatic as VisionOn is trying to make it out to be, it may very well be that way for him, but I don't think it applies to everyone in the same way. People are wired differently and the way they perceive and relate varies a lot.
bpeacock22 likes this.
post #117 of 2977 Old 10-19-2014, 12:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebkell View Post
My point is, I don't think it is as automatic as VisionOn is trying to make it out to be, it may very well be that way for him, but I don't think it applies to everyone in the same way. People are wired differently and the way they perceive and relate varies a lot.
The celebrity example just demonstrates that there are enough people in the general public who would recognize Clark Kent just from photos or casual interaction.

The main issue is not being recognized by close friends, partners etc. and people you work side by side with, as the Planet staff don't. If you have a problem recognizing your co-worker in the next cube because they start wearing glasses then there are bigger problems!

post #118 of 2977 Old 10-19-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post
The main issue is not being recognized by close friends, partners etc. and people you work side by side with, as the Planet staff don't. If you have a problem recognizing your co-worker in the next cube because they start wearing glasses then there are bigger problems!
Usually, it's quite the opposite with co-workers... "hey, did you always wear glasses?" But then they expect to see you in that setting anyway I suppose.

post #119 of 2977 Old 10-19-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Hey, I'm late to the party I know but finally was able to catch up on the pilot and loved just about everything about it. I had my concerns about the speed special effects but by the end it seemed to be pretty good or at least tolerable. I agree about the development of the suit and was also surprised about the level of identity knowledge but it doesn't bother me. I can't speak to Arrow and its tone because I just never caught on to it but regardless...this I fell is going to be a very fun sup show.
post #120 of 2977 Old 10-20-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I'm gonna have to side with HDMe and Mark on this too. You make a very good argument about celebrities and coworkers. It made me immediately think of my work environment where many people wear scrubs. If I catch them out in public in "civilian attire", at minimum it takes me a double take. And I like the psychological argument that we really aren't looking to figure it out, so we pass it off. Or we don't want to know, so we don't seek. This latter point was suggested in Spider-man 2, when his mask came off in the subway car scene and the people just gave it back to him and kept his secret.

The fact that this conversation is being had just shows my primary point... like VisionOn, modern audiences aren't as accepting of glasses and wigs and posture changes and voice deepening. Perhaps we are more skeptical and all the live action, realistic renderings of superhero movies and shows makes us move our acceptance pattern from times when it was perfectly okay for no one around the hero to pick up on their identity. But I think that's why writers are doing it this way now--letting those closest to the heroes know from the get-go or early on. Look at Man of Steel. They completely redid that. Lois knew the superhuman first and helped him create his alter-ego. And if you ask me, I think the Daily Planet staff knows too, but is choosing to play along. Something about the way Lawrence Fishburn gave him a look at the end there....

My friend, who is a HUGE DC fan, shouted out "NOOOOO!" last night when he watched the pilot at my house, when Iris' dad saw Barry's face. And then we had the same conversation and he accepted my viewpoint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
the cw , the flash

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page