post #631 of 637 Old 05-23-2020, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7041 Post(s)
Liked: 8056
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
When did Bree and Roger end up? The looks on their faces tells me they didn't end up when they wanted to be.

Something tells me they needed to go back thru the sames stones in which they arrived.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
I didn't think of that angle, but I thought having the kid with them could screw things up because he wouldn't go back to their original timeline, which would be in 1972/1973 or so. My wife knows what happens, but has agreed not to share any spoilers with me
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
It is because when you use the standing stones you have to think of where you want to go, she kept thinking of home, so they are saying she feels like being with her mother and father is more like home to her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
That does not explain how Claire got transported to the past in the first place. She certainly wasn't thinking about going to that time period.
Just finished the season! Due to "other stuff" getting in the way, we let the whole season build up on the DVR before we started watching and then binged it in a week. Actually a pretty good way to do it since we were able to keep a tight grip on the plotline all the way through. But you miss out on the weekly discussions here, which is kind of a bummer.

As to my favorite part of the show, the time-travelling element (my wife has a different favorite part ), I think Dave has it right. When Brie, Rodger and Jemmie all put their hands together and touched the stone, Brie & Rodger were undoubtedly thinking of their 20th century home, the anticipation of the trip. Regardless, I don't think that has anything to do with it. The first time Claire traveled she certainly wasn't thinking of the 18th century, as mrvideo mentions.

But Jemmie had never traveled. The 18th century was the only home he had ever known. So that messed up the trip for all of them. I'm guessing the "rules" are, the Stones only offer a 200 year trip in either direction, and the first time it has to be backwards. Then, once you've traveled backwards, you can go back forward. But if you've never traveled backward to begin with, nothing can happen. Because Jemmie's hand was in contact with his parents at the time they all three touched the stone, it "short-circuited" the process.

Thus, Jemmie can never accompany his parents to the 20th century. You can't just travel into the future where it's possible none of your "ancestors" ever existed (although, in Jemmie's case, they did). They can go, but without him. Which of course, they'd never do. So they're all stuck there, looks like.

Of course, I say that not having read any of the books, and don't know if the author has gone into the time-travel element in any more detail. So I could be completely wrong.

The other thing I'm not sure of, is once you travel, does the stone you used as the "trigger" or whatever, does it just vanish or something? One trip per stone and then you need to find a new stone?
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 637 Old 05-23-2020, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Just as an adjunct to my post above, when the trip was "short-circuited", it also prevented Jemmie from going back another 200 years to the 16th century and getting separated from his parents by another 200 years. Or more likely, only this 200 year stretch is connected by the stones.

Honestly, if this stuff isn't covered in the books, if Gabaldon doesn't give more attention to the time-travel aspect, I would never have any reason to read them. The bodice-ripping part of it just doesn't interest me that much, although the amazing attention to history & period detail is pretty cool. She did her some serious research.
post #633 of 637 Old 05-23-2020, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6373 Post(s)
Liked: 5867
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Honestly, if this stuff isn't covered in the books, if Gabaldon doesn't give more attention to the time-travel aspect, I would never have any reason to read them. The bodice-ripping part of it just doesn't interest me that much, although the amazing attention to history & period detail is pretty cool. She did her some serious research.
I haven't read the books or watched the show but I was always under the impression that the books were mainly a love story and not a time travel story which is one of the reasons I've never been in a hurry to watch this...aren't the sci-fi aspects a very, very small part of this series?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 637 Old 05-24-2020, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I haven't read the books or watched the show but I was always under the impression that the books were mainly a love story and not a time travel story which is one of the reasons I've never been in a hurry to watch this...aren't the sci-fi aspects a very, very small part of this series?
Quite small yes. But there are intriguing nuggets that have kept me strung along. Other folks from the modern era who happen to run across Claire back in the 18th Century, like the "Indian" from the latest plot line, who had a barely explained connection to the last guy she "met" from our time. Then, just having revealed himself to her, he just disappeared. Perhaps to re-surface sometime next year.

Those are the parts I find interesting betwixt all the ripping of bodices, rapes, and Snidely Whiplash-ish evildoers doing evil stuff to our heroes. I always expected Ron Moore - Ron Freaking Moore fergodsakes - to play up those aspects, but they have remained a frustratingly small part of the overall plot line.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #635 of 637 Old 05-24-2020, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Outlander Actor Confirms Exit In Goodbye Post To Fans

Spoilers for Outlander Season 5 follow in this post.

It feels like just yesterday that Outlander fan-favorite Lord John Grey finally entered the series and Jamie and Claire’s radius. David Berry has been a part of Starz’s Outlander since 2016, but unfortunately his time has ended on the series, at least for now.

Actor David Berry confirmed his exit from Outlander in a post that featured no frills or frippery this week. In it, the actor said he doesn’t like “goodbyes,” also sharing a look at himself and Jamie Fraser actor Sam Heughan during this last weekend's episode and perhaps his final episode on the series.

At first it seemed as if perhaps David Berry was simply saying goodbye to the recent season of the series, particularly since his character is leaving on the show to head back to England. (More on that later). However, in the post, the actor also responded to some fan questions about his exit, seemingly confirming a more long-term goodbye for the character. In fact, when a fan asked if he meant “goodbye for this season” he elaborated, noting: "Final ep on show. But 'life is long. Perhaps someday."

https://www.cinemablend.com/televisi...e-post-to-fans

post #636 of 637 Old 05-26-2020, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After many, MANY years of my wife and I watching this show sporadically....actually sporadic doesn't give it justice...I am finally caught up enough to read through this thread. I think we burned through all of Season 3 & 4 in time to go "live" with DVR recordings once season 5's episode 3 or 4 had aired.

This is an excellent show that has really found its footing in the last few seasons. I've enjoyed this thread's commentary quite a bit too. And I was delighted to see the Boone NC Highland games featured in an episode with "Fraser's Ridge" of course being in that Boone/BannerElk/Blowing Rock area where many Highlanders settled.
post #637 of 637 Old 06-10-2020, 10:57 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked: 3393
Starz Orders ‘Outlander’ Travel Docu-Series Spin-Off ‘Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham’
By Peter White

Starz is going on a Scottish roadtrip with Outlander stars Sam Heughan and Graham McTavish.

The Lionsgate-backed broadcaster has picked up eight-part travel docu-series Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham, created by the Scottish pair.

The series of half-hour episodes, which is produced by Sony Pictures Television, will see Heughan and McTavish take viewers along on their adventures, discovering the rich and complex heritage of their native country.

They will travel to Glencoe, the site of a great massacre and major clan feud to Inverness and the Culloden battlefield, the site of an historic turning point, known well to fans of Outlander.

Heughan plays Jamie Fraser on the period sci-fi drama, while McTavish stars as Dougal Mackenzie, the machiavellian war chief.

Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham was created and executive produced by Sam Heughan, Graham McTavish and Alex Norouzi and is produced for Starz by Boardwalk Pictures in association with Sony Pictures Television.

Senior Vice President of Original Programming Karen Bailey and Senior Vice President of Unscripted Programming Alice Dickens-Koblin are the executives overseeing the show on behalf of Starz.

“The genuine curiosity and passion that Sam and Graham have for the landscapes they visit and the stories they uncover while traveling through the heart of Scotland makes ‘Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham’ a truly enjoyable journey of discovery for the audience,” said Christina Davis, President, Original Programming of Starz. “The series gives context and texture to Highland life and history, woven together, much like the tartan for which Scotland is so famous, and we look forward to taking this road trip with these two great friends.”

“We are so excited to take viewers on this epic adventure with Sam and Graham. Their bond of friendship and genuine curiosity about the rich culture of Scotland is going to make for an unforgettable journey for all,” added Holly Jacobs, Executive Vice President, Alternative and Syndication Programming, Sony Pictures Television.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/starz-o...am-1202955287/

Teaser:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page