Madam Secretary HD CBS - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 111Likes

post #31 of 293 Old 09-28-2014, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 586
This weeks episode grabbed me much more than the previous one. I did feel like they were tinkering with the show adding the older daughter for more family conflict. Chuckled at the 'secret daughter" line, kind of true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 293 Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Yeah, no kidding. The writers sure have scripted this around current events. Before the premiere, I really thought this was going to be the "Unauthorized Hillary Clinton Biopic" (blonde hair, Sec of State, Hollywood's left-leaning populous). However, the way the character is portrayed, it's really very different from anything I imagined. I'm really getting into the show. Love Keith Carradine's portrayal of the President.
post #33 of 293 Old 09-29-2014, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
Yeah, no kidding. The writers sure have scripted this around current events. Before the premiere, I really thought this was going to be the "Unauthorized Hillary Clinton Biopic" (blonde hair, Sec of State, Hollywood's left-leaning populous). However, the way the character is portrayed, it's really very different from anything I imagined. I'm really getting into the show. Love Keith Carradine's portrayal of the President.
Written by Barbara Hall, who has written some other good shows and episodes on still others.
mike1812 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 293 Old 09-30-2014, 05:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 320
I like the show. It's more of a "ripped from the headlines" type instead of a Hillary clone show. Good characters (Zeljko Ivanek as the Chief of Staff is fantastic) and good writing. I have the feeling that although the older daughter arc may be annoying it will play a bigger part down the road.

And the anarchist son cracks me up. It feels like a real family and not just a cookie cutter approach.
post #35 of 293 Old 10-06-2014, 05:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Uh oh. Looks like I'm the only one watching. Too bad, I think this is a decent show although the writers go off the deep end with some cutesy writing and they also follow the old "tie it up with a bow" endings.
post #36 of 293 Old 10-06-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 703 Post(s)
Liked: 504
I am out on this one as well. season pass deleted. I watch television to escape politics not to relive world events.
PittCaleb likes this.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #37 of 293 Old 10-06-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Disclaimer: This post is not about politics. It is about a TV show that is itself about politics.

IMHO this series (like the 2005-2006 series Commander In Chief) is present for the main purpose of planting the idea in the minds of religious conservative voters that an American woman can be a strong figure in International politics and succeed brilliantly. Hillary Clinton was supposed to be one of the two major party candidates in both the 2008 and the 2016 elections. But the reality is that with the Electoral College and the almost even split between two major parties, the only way anybody wins a National election is to stimulate a certain number of voters to cross over and vote for someone not in their favored party.

Thus we have Commander In Chief in 2005 and Madam Secretary in 2014. My prediction is that - provided that Madam Secretary has the ratings for a second season, she will be asked to appear on the presidential ticket at the end of the second season, a few months before the 2016 elections.

But even with no second season, the idea will have been planted. Recall that the only two times a woman made it onto a major party ticket for the presidency, that ticket lost.

I also think that this is Hollywood trying to influence a National election - again. Which is their right. The series will also leverage Hillary's campaign to make advertising dollars - always a motive.

I'm in, I liked the first three episodes.

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by Gary McCoy; 10-06-2014 at 11:38 AM.
post #38 of 293 Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3792
The show just about lost me when she try leveraging her husband's integrity to fix a problem of their government's making. It was so completely out of character for this very smart, no BS style of diplomat. The only thing I can think of is that it was done to include the other members of the family in some way and/or to plant the seed the seed of discontent within the family, either way I though it was some incredibly kludgey and ham-fisted writing. I was ready just to delete it right then but I'll give it another week as it does have some very good talent and hopefully that will compensate for weak/lazy writing down the road.
post #39 of 293 Old 10-06-2014, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeewing View Post
Uh oh. Looks like I'm the only one watching. Too bad, I think this is a decent show although the writers go off the deep end with some cutesy writing and they also follow the old "tie it up with a bow" endings.
It's CBS, it's how they roll. CBS is the "tie it up with a bow" ending procedural network. To watch CBS shows you have to accept that reality before you even sit down to watch.
post #40 of 293 Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The show just about lost me when she try leveraging her husband's integrity to fix a problem of their government's making. It was so completely out of character for this very smart, no BS style of diplomat. The only thing I can think of is that it was done to include the other members of the family in some way and/or to plant the seed the seed of discontent within the family, either way I though it was some incredibly kludgey and ham-fisted writing.
Oh ho! The Russians may have pulled the wool over your eyes, but not mine! I see what you're doing, Mr. Overly Perfect Husband! A top Russian official didn't have any interest in his theology papers or even in raising his daughter's grades. The real purpose of the meeting was so "Henry" could confer with his KGB handler on how his mission to assassinate top government operatives was going! None of Elizabeth's former associates died in this episode, but I'm still on to him!
post #41 of 293 Old 10-10-2014, 11:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Well, three and out for us. I think that there is probably a decent show in there somewhere, but Tea Leoni is just not good enough of an actress to carry the show. What should be interesting and suspenseful to watch just comes across as boring.
tubetwister likes this.
post #42 of 293 Old 10-11-2014, 06:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 122
I watch TV to be entertained, and this show entertains me. I'm in and until I get bored (which I don't think will happen), I'm staying in. And, for the record, I like Tea Leoni. Not everybody can be Meryl Streep.
mike1812 likes this.
post #43 of 293 Old 10-11-2014, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
Well, three and out for us. I think that there is probably a decent show in there somewhere, but Tea Leoni is just not good enough of an actress to carry the show. What should be interesting and suspenseful to watch just comes across as boring.
I couldn't disagree more. I think the weak spot in this series is the writing. International issues are not resolved in a day or a week.

The writers need to create an arc. They should just watch the show that comes on after it and take notes. Now there's some good writing.

Tea is not the problem. She's fine.
post #44 of 293 Old 10-11-2014, 12:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
I couldn't disagree more. I think the weak spot in this series is the writing. International issues are not resolved in a day or a week.

The writers need to create an arc. They should just watch the show that comes on after it and take notes. Now there's some good writing.

Tea is not the problem. She's fine.
I suppose it could be a combination of weak writing and Tea's wooden demeanor. I really expected to like this show, and frankly wanted to like it - I usually really like political shows. At the end of the day, just wasn't impressed enough to keep it. We have way too many shows backed up on the PVR so we are being very judicious with the new crop of shows. I'll probably check back here now and then to see if you guys find it is getting better, at which point I may jump back in.

Good luck and happy watching to all!
post #45 of 293 Old 10-11-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
It's CBS, it's how they roll. CBS is the "tie it up with a bow" ending procedural network. To watch CBS shows you have to accept that reality before you even sit down to watch.

What do you want fans to know before Sunday?

Michelle: One thing they may want to know is the episode premiere of season six starts just seconds after season five ends, so we're not slowing down for even a moment. We're barreling right ahead with our story.

Robert: The other thing is this season will be more serialized than other seasons, so a little more what you might expect from cable. For example, even in the first episode, it doesn't have a case that resolves, you will see more of that.

http://www.eonline.com/news/579674/t...u-need-to-know

125" Projection | 5.2.4 Audio | Shield TV | LibreELEC/ODROID-C2 Kodi Media Client | Ubuntu/ODROID-XU4 NAS/Server | 65" LG OLED TV | TiVo | Shield TV |
| Water cooled Threadripper & Radeon VII, NVMe PC - 43" 4K IPS Panel |
post #46 of 293 Old 10-11-2014, 12:48 PM

Location: The Outer Limits....Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked: 623
They could take lessons from Netflix,HBO,Showtime ,FX , AMC ,PBS or just about anybody that knows how to produce a compelling program this one isn't! M.S. is very typical CBS,NBC,ABC stuff that I never care to watch much . I'll give it a few more episodes and see what shakes out but am not holding out much hope since it's CBS .
post #47 of 293 Old 10-11-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The writers need to create an arc.
This series has great potential for multi-episode stories, and having a crisis unfold over an entire season would really make it more compelling. I doubt CBS would let them do that, though, even if the people behind the show are competent enough to pull it off.
tubetwister likes this.
post #48 of 293 Old 10-11-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post
What do you want fans to know before Sunday?

Michelle: One thing they may want to know is the episode premiere of season six starts just seconds after season five ends, so we're not slowing down for even a moment. We're barreling right ahead with our story.

Robert: The other thing is this season will be more serialized than other seasons, so a little more what you might expect from cable. For example, even in the first episode, it doesn't have a case that resolves, you will see more of that.

http://www.eonline.com/news/579674/t...u-need-to-know
There's always an exception to the rule!
post #49 of 293 Old 03-09-2015, 03:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 947
I'm confused why the Iranian ambassador ended up believing Madam Secretary that she did not know the Iranian was working for the U.S. The information on the laptop pointed right at the U.S. controlling the Iranian.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #50 of 293 Old 03-15-2015, 08:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

It also makes no sense that this week they need to tell Iran that rogue US officials are plotting against them. Iran should have learned that from the laptop.
post #51 of 293 Old 03-16-2015, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 368 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Every week when we watch this my wife keeps saying, "she needs to quit this job, that's no job for a mother of three." I keep reminding her that it's a TV show, so if she did that the show would go off the air.
post #52 of 293 Old 04-13-2015, 09:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I guess people quit watching this show due to all the sports induced delays and start time. For those who didn't, I noticed last night they kept referring to the Kirtland as a minesweeper. It was a guided missile destroyer type. For some reason the hull number had been erased off of the bow.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #53 of 293 Old 04-13-2015, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I continue to look forward to this show each week. Even though it's a procedural, focusing on different foreign policy matters gives it nice variety, and it's not grim and depressing the way most crime dramas are.
post #54 of 293 Old 04-13-2015, 11:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 568 Post(s)
Liked: 281
I continue to watch it because it deals with contemporary issues.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #55 of 293 Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, they've done a good job of making it relevant without having overt characters such as the "President Notputin" in House of Cards.
post #56 of 293 Old 04-14-2015, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 155
I too continue to watch it. I just have it set to record for 2 hours in the event of a sports issue.

It's been a fun show this year.
post #57 of 293 Old 05-04-2015, 11:52 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1260 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Wow, three weeks and no comments.

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Henry McCord have a top secret clearance? Yes, I know that it would not be enough to be privy to the Secretary of State's secrets. I had a top secret clearance while in the Navy (NavSecGru headquarters for the early part of my tour ), but that only allowed me to know stuff pertaining to my job. In any event, that clearance is one step for Henry being allowed to be in the know.

No idea why that vital piece of info was not forthcoming in the episode.

I do hope that the show gets picked up for another season.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #58 of 293 Old 05-05-2015, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Just binge watched 8 episodes over the past few days, really like the show and how it's developed.
post #59 of 293 Old 05-05-2015, 06:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Yeah, it's witty, well written. I like it a lot!

post #60 of 293 Old 05-05-2015, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
I do hope that the show gets picked up for another season.
Yes, the show was renewed for Season 2 a while back. It routinely gets over 10 million viewers, so it's a solid hit for CBS.
psgcdn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page