6Likes

post #1 of 65 Old 11-16-2014, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Starz: "The Missing"

An 8-part miniseries just starting and reviewed here in this forum link. It's about the long search for an abducted child by his British parents and French police. Well done, dramatically, IMO. Minor quibble, superseded by the plot, is the blandness or poor contrast of the cinematography, apparently with a digital cinema camera, that IMDB's tech-spec page doesn't disclose. -- John

EDIT: A deeper search says the RED Epic-X was used for shooting. Here's an interview with the series director (from within this homepage ).

Last edited by John Mason; 11-17-2014 at 06:37 AM. Reason: add-on
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old 11-16-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
An 8-part miniseries just starting and reviewed here in this forum link. It's about the long search for an abducted child by his British parents and French police. Well done, dramatically, IMO. Minor quibble, superseded by the plot, is the blandness or poor contrast of the cinematography, apparently with a digital cinema camera, that IMDB's tech-spec page doesn't disclose. -- John

EDIT: A deeper search says the RED Epic X was used for shooting. Here's an interview with the series director.
I watched and liked the first episode. Will continue with it!

"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung

post #3 of 65 Old 11-16-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 104
I found the first half hour a bit slow but the last half hour was better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 65 Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 91
We enjoyed the first episode.

I thought the cinematography looked pretty good, after I stopped being mesmerized by the contemporary tricks.

It might not look as good as film, but we'll probably never see that in a new production any more.
post #5 of 65 Old 11-20-2014, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^Many of the full-sunlight cityscapes, with rows of buildings, looked like early RED digital camera shots to me. Contrast was poor. Lots of HD productions are being shot with Arri's Alexa digital cameras, which offer noticeably better contrast but, depending on model comparisons, may have less resolution than more-recent RED cameras. Agree about film, although feature movies often have superior PQ via HDTV, depending on post production for HD. -- John
post #6 of 65 Old 11-23-2014, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The mystery deepens. Glad I caught the first episode; the second last night suggests this'll be an exciting miniseries: Beware of strangers bearing gifts; not a Trojan horse here, but a 'benefactor' funding a reward for the missing child. Noticed a remarkable improvement in image contrast and PQ throughout part 2, such as the boat-forest scene within the first 10 minutes. Hope that's maintained. -- John
ltownsend likes this.
post #7 of 65 Old 11-25-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Discovered I could watch the 3rd episode before it's scheduled to appear on the 29th. Starz has a new scheduling experiment that puts upcoming episodes--plus older shows--for viewings in advance on its video-on-demand page, available to subscribers.

PQ on VOD seemed slightly less than the regular Starz channel, as other AVSers have written about VOD. Maybe if there are suitable scenes with finer details I'll try to compare and actually measure the resolutions (versus test Blu-ray multibursts). -- John
post #8 of 65 Old 11-28-2014, 05:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 480
My DVR has only recorded the first episode. Any others were apparently missed. D*

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #9 of 65 Old 11-28-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
The mystery deepens. Glad I caught the first episode; the second last night suggests this'll be an exciting miniseries: Beware of strangers bearing gifts; not a Trojan horse here, but a 'benefactor' funding a reward for the missing child. Noticed a remarkable improvement in image contrast and PQ throughout part 2, such as the boat-forest scene within the first 10 minutes. Hope that's maintained. -- John
We just watched the 2nd episode, too, and loved it. The writing is very well-done; jumping between 2006 and 2014, we hear clues as to what happened to the characters in between, and it's enticing.

My wife first started watching the 2nd episode on-demand, and there I noticed the video problems you noted in the first episode - hazy contrast, etc. She had to take a phone call, and we watched it via DVR the 2nd time. There, the PQ seemed better.

I once compared an episode of Ray Donovan via OD and DVR, and they seemed identical, but maybe now, and/or sometimes, Verizon lowers the resolution OD.
post #10 of 65 Old 11-28-2014, 07:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by I WANT MORE View Post
My DVR has only recorded the first episode. Any others were apparently missed. D*
Is your DVR set to record first run only? The first aired date in the guide is for the UK broadcast, so you need to set your DVR to record all episodes, not first run only.
post #11 of 65 Old 11-29-2014, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It is now. Thanks

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #12 of 65 Old 11-30-2014, 06:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

The "red herrings," like the French swat team and retired detective at the abandoned warehouse, continue to add up. Enjoyed jumping to Starz's VOD listings following last night's episode and watching next Saturday's showing, too (my last post above).

Planned on comparing the PQ of VOD versus the direct Starz channel with this last scheduled episode (mentioned above). But concluded this series, while superb plot-wise and similar story features, is just too deliberately filtered during production to attempt that. I'll just enjoy the drama until the end. -- John
post #13 of 65 Old 12-08-2014, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Just watched episode 105, "Molly," on Starz's VOD, slated for this Satuday with the premium channel's advance-showing experiment. This week it was a 24 hour wait today versus the immediate VOD availability last Saturday..

Stunning suspense with Molly's ending, hinted at when the company executive and reward 'benefactor' was reported missing in last week's "Gone Fishing" episode. Don't forget the number 53 .-- John

Last edited by John Mason; 12-10-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: typo
post #14 of 65 Old 12-09-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Jesus Christ this moves at a snails pace.

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #15 of 65 Old 12-09-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked: 3503
I think it moves at just the right pace, this is actually a character(many characters in fact) study layered on top of a crime mystery, it's not a straight run-of-the-mill whodunit.
post #16 of 65 Old 12-09-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
I'm loving the show and I wouldn't be surprised if The Missing has the greatest number of then and now moments in TV history.
post #17 of 65 Old 12-11-2014, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 625
Great show & to me, pacing is spot on. It's peeling the layers of an onion to get at the bottom of the mystery. Very intriguing to watch the characters interact with each other, the deceptions and some just wishing the whole affair would go away. Tony & Emily's anguish is so believable, you'd think it was really happening to the actors.

IMO, the acting is superb!

Steve

Last edited by ss9001; 12-11-2014 at 02:04 PM.
post #18 of 65 Old 12-14-2014, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Notice at Starz's site that the series was nominated for two Golden Globes, best miniseries and actress within.

Ian, the reward benefactor, made a mistake visiting Tony in jail (Saturday's 105 "Molly" episode) . There, after one of Ian's folksy but menacing tales, about his dog having to be put down, Ian was calmly told by Tony that he should be 'put down'.
Spoiler!

This part of the series reminds me of HBO's "Citizen X" in '95. This fact-based movie is about hunting a serial killer in Russia who murdered over 50 youths. The parallels with "The Missing," involving police incompetency and power manipulations, are striking. Also, have to wonder, with a few episodes to go, whether they're going to throw in the ending of another TV movie, "I Know My First Name Is Stephen," about a long-missing boy who walks into a police station one day. Or maybe, since there's a relentless detective onboard here, too, it'll end like "Without a Trace," which also has a husband driven away and accusatory police -- John

Last edited by John Mason; 12-17-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: add-on
post #19 of 65 Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I was behind with shows on my DVR but was finally able to watch the premiere of The Missing last night. I am glad I did!! I am hooked after the first episode and look forward to catching up with the the rest of the episodes and the upcoming ones. I highly recommend it! James Nesbitt is doing a great job as the agonizing father. You can really feel the pain that he is going through. And really a great cast overall.....
post #20 of 65 Old 12-15-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 1306
I'll be at a party next Saturday so I watched the next episode "Concrete" OnDemand. It delivers in spades.
post #21 of 65 Old 12-21-2014, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched the last two episodes on Starz's VOD Saturday afternoon. Maybe the Golden Globe awards (Jan. 11, NBC) sped scheduling along.

Not the ending I would have expected, like the examples I linked just above, but classy anyway IMO. -- John
post #22 of 65 Old 12-22-2014, 04:39 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I finished watching all the episodes yesterday and I agree that it was not the ending I would have expected. What the creators mentioned is that the show was more about how the incident affected all the different players involved and I agree. It was greatly done and look forward to the next installment from the team which would be a totally different story on a different setting.
post #23 of 65 Old 12-23-2014, 04:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Watched the last two episodes on Starz's VOD Saturday afternoon. Maybe the Golden Globe awards (Jan. 11, NBC) sped scheduling along.

Not the ending I would have expected, like the examples I linked just above, but classy anyway IMO. -- John
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnetop View Post
I finished watching all the episodes yesterday and I agree that it was not the ending I would have expected. What the creators mentioned is that the show was more about how the incident affected all the different players involved and I agree. It was greatly done and look forward to the next installment from the team which would be a totally different story on a different setting.
How about you keep this crap to yourselves until the rest of us finished watching? Jesus Christ!!!!!

Perhaps I misremembered.

Last edited by I WANT MORE; 12-23-2014 at 05:38 AM.
post #24 of 65 Old 12-23-2014, 05:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For those who have watched through to the end;

Spoiler!
post #25 of 65 Old 12-23-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 625
^^
It's tempting but I'm not peeking
Some of you must have watched via on-demand. I'll wait for 1-10.

Whatever awards are issued at Golden Globes, I still think until Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black) wins her Emmy, everyone else can wait their turn

Steve
post #26 of 65 Old 12-23-2014, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
The finale aired in the UK on the 16th. I was happy to see we didn't have to wait until January 11th.
post #27 of 65 Old 12-23-2014, 07:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

So far, for those of us who have seen the ending on VOD, nothing has been disclosed about the ending that couldn't have been speculated about. Anyone can see this from the actual ending. However, alerting viewers all the series is now on VOD, and making vague comments about the final episodes, does provide a pseudo-righteous-indignation opportunity for those into that type of thing. Don't plan on participating in back-and-forths here; some folks just like to go hyperbolic--even when nothing of significance has been disclosed.-- John
post #28 of 65 Old 12-23-2014, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john mason View Post
so far, for those of us who have seen the ending on vod, nothing has been disclosed about the ending that couldn't have been speculated about. Anyone can see this from the actual ending. However, alerting viewers all the series is now on vod, and making vague comments about the final episodes, does provide a pseudo-righteous-indignation opportunity for those into that type of thing. Don't plan on participating in back-and-forths here; some folks just like to go hyperbolic--even when nothing of significance has been disclosed.-- john
bull*****!!!

Perhaps I misremembered.

post #29 of 65 Old 12-23-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I watched it them both on OnDemand. Binging is so much better to keep your emotional rollder coaster going. That being said (These are my observations - do not click unless you want to discuss):

Spoiler!
post #30 of 65 Old 12-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Z: I think it kind of weird to do a back-and-forth through spoiler tags; while I don't disagree with your general tone, I feel the need to add a comment:

Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page