Better Call Saul AMC HD Breaking Bad Spinoff - Page 58 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1926Likes

post #1711 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3283 Post(s)
Liked: 4380
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
I also see BCS running for 5 seasons max...it's a great show but unfortunately ratings are not good so I'm sure that will also play a factor...BCS hasn't even been officially renewed for Season 4 yet...my guess is that AMC is trying to negotiate an end date and will renew the show for 2 final seasons
Yeah, it's sad how quickly viewership dropped

TitusTroy likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1712 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
the nitro pills are very tiny, nothing like the capsules Hector takes ..

I have no idea what the capsule is that Hector uses ..
So what ? It's called 'artistic license'. It would be kinda hard for Nacho to swap "pills" vs capsules.
post #1713 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hall View Post
So what ? It's called 'artistic license'. It would be kinda hard for Nacho to swap "pills" vs capsules.
True .. I'm simply pointing out what a nitro pill looks like and does .. to my knowledge, the actual med Hector takes and Nacho swapped has never been disclosed ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1714 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It could be Flintstone vitamin pills for all it matters. It would be smart for Nacho to use something 'safe' or relatively normal or common. Then again, if Hector did die, I don't imagine an autopsy would be performed given his age and known medical conditions. This way, if Nacho used something that harmed Hector, it wouldn't be found out.

I may be wrong, but I believe Nacho's plan or idea is for Hector to take these pills that Hector believes will relieve his symptoms and in reality, do nothing (and potentially, allow Hector to die).
post #1715 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It could be Flintstone vitamin pills for all it matters.
The sometimes finer bits of minutia discussion within the TV threads on AVS is not exclusive to the BCS thread ..
daryl zero likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #1716 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 10:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
I also see BCS running for 5 seasons max...it's a great show but unfortunately ratings are not good so I'm sure that will also play a factor...BCS hasn't even been officially renewed for Season 4 yet...my guess is that AMC is trying to negotiate an end date and will renew the show for 2 final seasons
They have already started discussions for continuing the series BEYOND BB, so, I doubt that you are right.

And, I don't know what you mean by "ratings are not good".
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr...ne-12-18-2017/

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/dvr...for-june-5-11/
post #1717 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Beyond Breaking Bad, how could they pull that off ? Where did you read about that ?
post #1718 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5881
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Yeah, it's sad how quickly viewership dropped

the drop from Episode 1 to 2 was massive!...I guess people were expecting Breaking Bad 2.0 and were disappointed...also unlike BB people don't seem to be binge watching BCS through Netflix etc...with BB, Netflix etc really helped the show grow a lot as that also did not start out strong in terms of ratings...I think what BCS does better then BB is develop the secondary characters (Kim, Chuck, Howard, Nacho etc) while with BB everything was about Walter White and everyone around him did not get the same depth or character development
post #1719 of 2828 Old 06-26-2017, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 121
I really enjoy watching BCS, but IMO it doesn't stack up well compared to BB.

Think of all the impossible/over-the-top situations Walt & Jessie got into & out of.

Besides Jimmy ain't Saul (yet) now is he.

I'm a Netflix subscriber and kind of slow on the up-take at times so I have binged watched a number of shows I wasn't on-board with initially:

American Horror Story: seasons 1 & 2, SOA, BB: season 1, TWD: season 1.
post #1720 of 2828 Old 06-27-2017, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
the drop from Episode 1 to 2 was massive!...I guess people were expecting Breaking Bad 2.0 and were disappointed...also unlike BB people don't seem to be binge watching BCS through Netflix etc...with BB, Netflix etc really helped the show grow a lot as that also did not start out strong in terms of ratings...I think what BCS does better then BB is develop the secondary characters (Kim, Chuck, Howard, Nacho etc) while with BB everything was about Walter White and everyone around him did not get the same depth or character development
Both BB as well as BCS are essentially the same premise .. a man journeys down a road into a dark future .. Walt started late in life, Jimmy started earlier .. with Jimmy, we know where he ended up, where, with Walt, we watched in fascination as Walt went deeper and deeper into the darkness ... "I am the danger. I am the one who knocks!" .. BB was an outrageous concept that just sucked us in till the bitter end, we had seen little, if anything, like it, yet somehow, we sympathized with Walt, somehow, the cast and crew pulled it off .. .. I know grown men that cried when Walt died .. Walter White, the anti-Hero, who, for some odd reason, so many identified with .. regardless of his gradual loss of humanity, we saw something in him we, for lack of a better term, envied ..

BCS is a slow burn, yet I can honestly say, I like both shows about equally ..
gwsat and Superman2 like this.

Uncle Willie

post #1721 of 2828 Old 06-27-2017, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6389 Post(s)
Liked: 5881
what took them so long?!...it's now official...AMC has renewed Better Call Saul for Season 4...

http://tvline.com/2017/06/27/better-...-season-4-amc/
JoeTiVo and allargon like this.
post #1722 of 2828 Old 06-27-2017, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
what took them so long?!...it's now official...AMC has renewed Better Call Saul for Season 4...

http://tvline.com/2017/06/27/better-...-season-4-amc/
I think it speaks highly of AMC to stick with it .. much like they have done with "Halt and Catch Fire" .. which is a show I really like but was never really a ratings powerhouse .. although it's ending this year, we got 4 good seasons ..
allargon likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #1723 of 2828 Old 06-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Beyond Breaking Bad, how could they pull that off ? Where did you read about that ?
Vince Gilligan himself has gone on record with that. Each season opener has included a glimpse of what "Gene" is doing in life after BB -- and this season's included a very dramatic development. BCS is moving close to the BB timeline, so I would not be surprised at all if they eventually pick up "Gene's" story in full in upcoming seasons.

"I would think there’s a lot more story to tell [with Gene] in Omaha and beyond." -- Vince Gilligan, re: Season 3 finale.
John dhein likes this.
post #1724 of 2828 Old 06-27-2017, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
I could see an easy way to "pull it off" - I cannot imagine that 'Saul' can remain incognito at Cinnabon indefinitely. At some point, he won't be able to help himself and will follow his instincts into something. So many paths and potential story lines to create. Including a story thread about the law enforcement individuals that are trying to find him.
post #1725 of 2828 Old 06-27-2017, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
It could be Flintstone vitamin pills for all it matters. It would be smart for Nacho to use something 'safe' or relatively normal or common. Then again, if Hector did die, I don't imagine an autopsy would be performed given his age and known medical conditions. This way, if Nacho used something that harmed Hector, it wouldn't be found out.

I may be wrong, but I believe Nacho's plan or idea is for Hector to take these pills that Hector believes will relieve his symptoms and in reality, do nothing (and potentially, allow Hector to die).
Didn't he fill it with baby laxative or whatever they cut their drugs with.
post #1726 of 2828 Old 06-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7055 Post(s)
Liked: 8087
Now that I've finally watched the final two episodes, some comments:

We don't know what Nacho put in Hector's pills. But we do know that Nacho told his papa that "this will all be over in a few weeks". That tells me he wasn't simply hoping that what was essentially a placebo in Hector's pills would kill him quickly. Seems like Nacho expected a more certain, quick demise from Hector. Meaning, there was something in the pills that would have triggered a heart attack.

Hector's future symptoms are more emblematic of a stroke. His heart condition could have brought one on, including probably, the incident he just had. I'm guessing this is how he ends up in the chair.

And I agree with Brother Tack from couple of pages ago about Gus wanting to keep Hector alive until he was ready to kill Hector himself. Probably because even back then he was hoping to kill both Hector and Don Elardio simultaneously at some point down the road. After all, both of them were present when Gus's partner (and possible/probable lover) was killed at Elardio's hacienda, in front of Gus. Remember the scene from BB where Gus fell down on the ground sobbing immediately afterward, the camera turning on it's side to capture his face in full? That shot was later repeated with Walt after Hank was killed in front of Walt out in the desert in one of the final BB episodes ("Ozymandias"?). Walt got his revenge. Gus intends to get his.

As to Chuck's electrical meter continuing to run, it would not have been had Chuck flipped all the breakers off. So that leaves two possibilities: 1) There was some kind of electrical device between the incoming service at the meter and the breaker boxes. Can't imagine what that would be (and Mike didn't plant anything; he was only there to take pictures of the house interior for Jimmy). Or, 2) Chuck was simply imagining the meter wheel turning in his disoriented, near suicidal state.

Finally, loved the comment from Lydia when she was talking to Mike in her office. She said something along the lines of: "If you think Gustavio Fring is just a drug dealer, you don't know him." It's always been my theory that Gus was formerly one of Pinochet's Chilean strongmen, perhaps one of his generals, who had fled to the U.S. and adopted this new identity. I really hope someday Vince will fill out his backstory. 'Cause that would be freaking awesome.

Last edited by archiguy; 06-28-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #1727 of 2828 Old 06-28-2017, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Now that I've finally watched the final two episodes, some comments:
We don't know what Nacho put in Hector's pills. But we do know that Nacho told his papa that "this will all be over in a few weeks". That tells me he wasn't simply hoping that what was essentially a placebo in Hector's pills would kill him quickly. Seems like Nacho expected a more certain, quick demise from Hector. Meaning, there was something in the pills that would have triggered a heart attack.
Nacho put ibuprofen into Hector's pills (around :05-:08 in the clip)
JoeTiVo and AlexanderDelarg like this.
post #1728 of 2828 Old 06-28-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Haha ! Everyone missed that obviously and hell, they even focused on the bottle showing the name.
post #1729 of 2828 Old 06-28-2017, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post
Didn't he fill it with baby laxative or whatever they cut their drugs with.

Ibuprofen.

SCB48
Fairfax, Va.
post #1730 of 2828 Old 06-28-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu View Post
Nacho put ibuprofen into Hector's pills (around :05-:08 in the clip)
https://youtu.be/qbWgLSTL1gQ
Okay, missed that, thanks. Then I guess he was assuming that absent the nitroglycerin, Hector would die a "natural" death "within a few weeks". Seems a bit hopeful, but I'm okay with it.
post #1731 of 2828 Old 06-28-2017, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2706 Post(s)
Liked: 1077
If Chuck could really sense electricity, he wouldn't need to look at the meter to verify that there was something running.

In fact if his symptoms became acute the closer he was to something running electricity, he wouldn't have to guess where it might be hidden, he'd be able to sense it like a metal detector right?

There was no hidden device. It was all in his head, like he didn't notice that extra battery that Jimmy had that big black guy slip into Chuck's chest pocket at the hearing.
hall likes this.
post #1732 of 2828 Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I absolutely love this show. Along with Breaking Bad it's probably my favorite show of the past few years. How it has these different storylines of Jimmy and the things happening to Mike is great. I recently started rewatching all the seasons and today i finished the finale of season 3. Man i'm going to miss this show for a whole year.

Interesting to see how Hector is ending up in that wheelchair. At first i thought, hold on...this makes him wheelchair bound? But i had forgotten he already had heart problems of course. Happy to see nothing happened to Nacho though, i really like that character and don't want him gone. Speaking of gone....this is the end of Chuck? Oh man Jimmy is going to be devastated. Especially in the way their last conversation went, man! Isn't suicide a bit drastic though? Yes the illness returned or what he thought was an illness returned to him, but just ending his life there seemed a bit abrupt to me.

And last but not least.......wasn't there a better solution for Jimmy, Irene and her friends? Now all of them despise Jimmy for the things he said, things he definitely didn't even mean but it had to look real. Which has me thinking, couldn't he have done it differently? Why even get Erin involved in it? He could have gone to that chair yoga like he did and then straight up come clean about everything. About how he wanted Irene to settle because he's not in a very great position financially, how he conned her with those shoes and lied to her friends. All of that was the truth, him saying ''I worked hard to get here, get them to believe me, let's be honest, for how much longer will they even be living, nagging about their grand children etc..'' wasn't the truth at all. He always was genuine and sincere with them.

That way the settlement probably still would have happened too. And maybe, just maybe the elder people would have forgiven him in due time. Now they just believe he's a fake and a huge POS.
post #1733 of 2828 Old 06-29-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalker1982 View Post
That way the settlement probably still would have happened too. And maybe, just maybe the elder people would have forgiven him in due time. Now they just believe he's a fake and a huge POS.
Jimmy still has a shred of decency left, and that might get continually diminished over time, but he'll always have it. For one thing, he really does have some compassion for the less-fortunate, and that may be one of the reasons why he wanted to become a lawyer in the first place. Besides, this was a necessary part of the journey to become Saul Goodman. He had to shed himself of the last of his "respectable" clients. Now he really does need to start from scratch.
Tack likes this.
post #1734 of 2828 Old 06-29-2017, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Jimmy still has a shred of decency left, and that might get continually diminished over time, but he'll always have it. For one thing, he really does have some compassion for the less-fortunate, and that may be one of the reasons why he wanted to become a lawyer in the first place. Besides, this was a necessary part of the journey to become Saul Goodman. He had to shed himself of the last of his "respectable" clients. Now he really does need to start from scratch.
Definitely a good point there. We're probably going to see a lot more Saul next season. He's gonna be taking more and more of those shady things. Basically the things he did as Slippin Jimmy, the music store part, the ads etc, already was partly Saul Goodman but i always saw it as good fun, nothing too serious. He really went way too far with Irene.

This makes me think how long until it starts to go downhill between him and Kim. I'm gonna assume she was in the know about the things with Irene, but there's definitely a limit for her as well i'm sure. And sadly we all know she's not in BB. It sucks because i absolutely love the dynamic between these two, a great couple. Love those scenes where they look for a ''target'' in a restaurant too. I love this show so much by now i'll probably go watch em all a third time before Season 4 starts. And i'm definitely planning on going for a second BB watch.
post #1735 of 2828 Old 06-29-2017, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Come on now .. Jimmy stood to pick up over a million in the settlement .. what he did to Irene was carefully planned from the get go (trunk full of shoes, all different sizes) .. although he did regret it later, even though he knew and planned his actions against the "Gang Of Oldsters" and used Irene as the tool .. suddenly having his conscience come into play .. and once a bond of trust is broken, it's very difficult to re-establish, especially with our generation (I'm 72) ..

As well, like I have said before, HHR stands as much blame for the lack of settlement resolution .. in that, Jimmy was absolutely correct and likely could have simply pulled Irene and the Gang together and used the peanuts scenario without using Irene as the central tool to get the deal going .. a simple meeting and group consensus would have done the trick, which, ultimately, is all Irene's friends wanted .. and, yes, I know he was trying to avoid acting as a Lawyer based on the suspension, but he managed to navigate in the Gray Area with Irene, so he could just as well have planted the seeds for immediate settlement using covert techniques on the Gang .. or, even suggesting Irene meet with the group and discuss the situation without Jimmy there would have worked ..

But then, that's not quite the best way to raise tension in the show and advance Jimmy another few steps toward Saul ..

Uncle Willie

post #1736 of 2828 Old 06-29-2017, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Pretty good stuff up on the AMC website ::

http://www.amc.com/shows/better-call-saul/talk

Uncle Willie

post #1737 of 2828 Old 06-30-2017, 03:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 686
Jimmy made a big sacrifice to set things right with Irene. What bothers me is that he showed no sympathy for Ernesto being set up by Chuck with such ruthless vindictiveness. Howard also had to know the setup yet let Chuck fire him anyway. That just wasn't right...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #1738 of 2828 Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Howard also had to know the setup yet let Chuck fire him anyway. That just wasn't right...
I don't know how it works in a law firm, especially when one of those involved is a founding partner, but it's very possible that Howard can't override Chuck. Maybe he can to some degree but he "picks his battles".
post #1739 of 2828 Old 06-30-2017, 02:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1342 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
D: All of the above . .

utterly mesmerized by the writing and human factors, etc.

as for this: Yeah, it's sad how quickly viewership dropped!

Talking to folk about TV and stuff and mentioning BCS .

The looks I get help me realize who the brainwashed truly are . . .

So then I ask them what they find so captivating about "The Prune Juice" channel. .

priceless

also works for discussions wrt "south Park".

like the Bizarro comic today:

Alien: Take us to your leader!"

Earthling: O.K.but onlyif you promise to take him with you when you leave.

DIY FAN Denon X4400 , ATI A 2000 for 7.4.6 SCATMOS Sammy 82" 4K/HDR
L/R: Fusion 15 V2 , C: 88 Special , SL/SR: 88 Special(V2) , RL/RR: F-3, TF/TR: Volt 6's TM: SLX, FH: F4Q4
SUBMAXIMUS V2, ,Submaximus V3,LOWARHORNCustom Dual Driver VBSS,2 x 6000DSP
post #1740 of 2828 Old 07-04-2017, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Holy **** man, that Bob Odenkirk is one hell of an actor.

I've recently started watching BB for the second time and I'm now at Saul's introduction and I don't really recognize Jimmy at all anymore. In BCS he's still a likeable guy despite some shady things he's done but in BB he's damn slippery and smooth and slimey. I don't like him at all here, haha.

I forgot how different he really is in BB and he acts this extremely well. He clearly lost some weight for BCS too. His head is more thick in BB for starters, lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page