2015 Formula 1 in HD. - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1695Likes

post #4201 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2526 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew24963 View Post
Or any other F1 drivers. That's pretty dissapointing. I bet Fred would have been all over the chance to drive a car that was not fighting for last place. :-)

It appears the reasons for the the schedule change are legit, but being a professional skeptic, I wonder if there was an ulterior motive to make sure that F1 drivers were not helping shine the spotlight on Le Mans as an alternative to F1.
Sharp1080 and adpayne like this.

#JB17
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 06:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked: 2065
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGLeduc View Post
Or any other F1 drivers. That's pretty dissapointing. I bet Fred would have been all over the chance to drive a car that was not fighting for last place. :-)

It appears the reasons for the the schedule change are legit, but being a professional skeptic, I wonder if there was an ulterior motive to make sure that F1 drivers were not helping shine the spotlight on Le Mans as an alternative to F1.
I kinda get the same vibe. I read Montoya will be testing the Porsche if they field a third car at LeMans.
post #4203 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
A record $37 million worth of cars were destroyed making the new 007 film "Spectre". Including 7 Aston Martin DB10s.
While i love to watch stuff like this, it also hurts me to see great cars get smashed up. Ouch!!!!
gwsat likes this.

never take life seriously
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
The only difference is there is no way to make a spec series with different engine manufacturers.
True.
How about rotating the engine manufacturer on a yearly(?) basis?

Quote:
I think a very exciting weekend would have both a Formula None and Formula Spec race. There could be a spec race on Saturday and a none race on Sunday.
Great idea, but it sounds expensive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catonic View Post
Hang on, that's what we have now!!??
Well played, sir.

Quote:
That sucks.
Bernie needs to fix it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz68 View Post
Jenson Button stays at McLaren for 2016 season
Read more at BBC Sport
Good news, JB can still get the job done.

post #4205 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 07:58 AM

FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO LEARN HOW TO MULTIQUOTE, HERE IS HOW IT LOOKS:
(notice in the example I deliberately misspelled "quote" for illustration purposes)

[qoute=Ericglo;37704881]
The only difference is there is no way to make a spec series with different engine manufacturers.[/qoute]True.

[qoute] I think a very exciting weekend would have both a Formula None and Formula Spec race. There could be a spec race on Saturday and a none race on Sunday.[/qoute]Great idea, but it sounds expensive?

[qoute=catonic;37706657]Hang on, that's what we have now!!?? [/qoute]Well played, sir.

[qoute=stevew24963;37707217]No Nico at Lemans.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/h...h-le-mans-win/[/qoute]
That sucks.

[qoute=Heinz68;37707449]Jenson Button stays at McLaren for 2016 season
Read more at BBC Sport[/qoute]

post #4206 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 08:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO LEARN HOW TO MULTIQUOTE, HERE IS HOW IT LOOKS:
(notice in the example I deliberately misspelled "quote" for illustration purposes)

[qoute=Ericglo;37704881]
The only difference is there is no way to make a spec series with different engine manufacturers.[/qoute]True.

[qoute] I think a very exciting weekend would have both a Formula None and Formula Spec race. There could be a spec race on Saturday and a none race on Sunday.[/qoute]Great idea, but it sounds expensive?

[qoute=catonic;37706657]Hang on, that's what we have now!!?? [/qoute]Well played, sir.

[qoute=stevew24963;37707217]No Nico at Lemans.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/h...h-le-mans-win/[/qoute]
That sucks.

[qoute=Heinz68;37707449]Jenson Button stays at McLaren for 2016 season
Read more at BBC Sport[/qoute]
Errr, I think something is wrong with this, very very wrong with this.
post #4207 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Huh?

post #4208 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 08:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4502 Post(s)
Liked: 5894
Quote:

Just click on the "multiquote" button for every post you want to quote. That just puts it in queue. When you have 'em all, click the "quote" button on the post you want to show up first on your list of quotes.

You can practice it by doing it and selecting "preview post". Just hit the back button on your browser to get back out. Nothing gets posted until you actually press the "submit reply" button.
post #4209 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 08:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Huh?
Heh teach me to post before coffee. I didn't read where you intentionally misspelled "quote".
post #4210 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3383 Post(s)
Liked: 1842
@oink ,
Rotating manufacturers would be a good idea, but I wonder if they would go for it.

I don't think a two race weekend would be that much more expensive. The spec cars shouldn't be that expensive to buy. Based on Cindycar costs, a complete car could be around $500k or maybe even less. A team probably wouldn't need more than three chassis/engines per driver for a year. I would think that the revenue from an extra race would more than compensate for the added expense to a team.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #4211 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3383 Post(s)
Liked: 1842
@oink ,
Rotating manufacturers would be a good idea, but I wonder if they would go for it.

I don't think a two race weekend would be that much more expensive. The spec cars shouldn't be that expensive to buy. Based on Cindycar costs, a complete car could be around $500k or maybe even less. A team probably wouldn't need more than three chassis/engines per driver for a year. I would think that the revenue from an extra race would more than compensate for the added expense to a team.

Having fun playing the new mobile game Volley Village
post #4212 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

From multi quote to dupli post.
Tack likes this.
post #4213 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Heh teach me to post before coffee. I didn't read where you intentionally misspelled "quote".
LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo View Post
@oink,
Would be a tough sell, no doubt.

post #4214 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 09:44 AM

Picking the MT Best Driver's Car:

post #4215 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 09:56 AM

Clever move by MB:

Manor will run Mercedes power units for the 2016 Formula 1 season after the German marque decided to help the smaller team to boost the “strength in depth” of the sport, according to the Mercedes boss.
Red Bull can only look on enviously as a supply of up to date Mercedes power units was conferred on the minnow team, that came out of receivership at Christmas to race this season on a shoestring budget.
Christian Horner remarked quizzically at the weekend in Japan that he struggled to understand why Mercedes would choose to supply Manor rather than them. For Mercedes the reasons are twofold – Manor will not challenge the works Mercedes team and nor will they criticise the engine if they don’t win.
But it runs deeper than that; when Mercedes was called up in front of the FIA’s International Tribunal in June 2013, over the three day test session they ran in May that year with Pirelli, it was Red Bull and Ferrari who lodged the protests and Red Bull that attended the hearing and argued that the FIA should throw the book at Mercedes, docking them championship points. This has not been forgotten.
Manor has run Ferrari engines since the V6 turbo regulations were introduced at the start of 2014, but as the car is essentially the 2014 model with 2015 crash structures, it also uses the 2014 spec Ferrari engine which is a pale shadow of the unit the Scuderia has developed for this season.
The Mercedes deal is a huge boost to the Manor team and it paves the way for them to run one of the Mercedes young drivers. DTM championship leader Pascal Wehrlein is the first cab off the rank, but reigning Euro F3 champion Esteban Ocon is also under contract and very highly regarded.
Mercedes’ motorsport boss, Toto Wolff, explained that the manufacturer had decided to supply Manor ‘for the good of Formula 1’,
Wolff said: “Mercedes-Benz has a clear Formula 1 philosophy based around our works Silver Arrows team and supplying benchmark power units to independent customer teams.
“We believe this approach provides Formula 1 with greater strength in depth and ensures a deeper level of competitiveness throughout the field.”

The subtext is clear; don’t punish us for refusing to give a potent rival like Red Bull a lifeline, but look at what we are doing for the sport, helping to make small teams competitive.

The switch from Renault to Mercedes power for Williams moved them from 9th in 2013 to third in 2014, although it did coincide with a new technical team at Grove.
The supply to Manor is the one that has been used up to now by Lotus. That team is being acquired by Renault to become the works Renault team once again.
Mercedes was known to be in negotiations with Manor but progress was halted by the uncertainty surrounding the Lotus team and its takeover.
Wolff said: “In anticipation of Renault’s takeover of the Lotus F1 Team, we are pleased to announce Manor Marussia as a new customer of Mercedes-Benz.
“It is a tenacious team with a fantastic competitive spirit, and we are all excited to see what step forward they can make next year with their new car coupled with the Mercedes-Benz hybrid power unit.”
Manor’s team principal, John Booth, explained that there were a number of things the team needed to consider when choosing its 2016 engine partner.
He said: “Although there were many factors governing our selection of an engine partner to help power us towards our long-term ambitions, ultimately the strength of the Mercedes-Benz package speaks for itself.”
Mercedes is keen to promote its junior driver, Pascal Wehrlein, who currently leads the DTM championship standings for the marque, to F1, and a race seat for the 20-year-old German may well have been a factor in the deal.
Under the new arrangement, Manor will use Mercedes’ 2016 engine and not a year-old unit as it did with Ferrari this season. The British team will also run the same Petronas fuel as the works Mercedes squad and resume a technical partnership with the Williams team, which will supply Manor with transmission and suspension components.
Booth expressed his desire to see the team make progress up the grid in 2016, as it could not capitalise on scoring its first ever points in 2014 because the team was placed in administration before the season was over.
He said: “Although [this year] we have not been able to make the incremental strides in competitiveness that the team has enjoyed in previous seasons, we have put in place a strong foundation from which to progress.
“Together with the potential we are seeing with our 2016 car in the wind tunnel, the Mercedes-Benz power unit will assist our return to aggressive performance development with effect from next season.”
With Renault expected to complete its purchase of Lotus, the only remaining engine supply deal to be confirmed is which manufacturer will supply Red Bull and Toro Rosso for 2016.
Senior figures at Red Bull have repeatedly said it will pull out of F1 if it cannot get competitive engines for next year and the company is holding a crucial meeting this week to decide its future in the sport.

post #4216 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 11:29 AM

Jaime Alguersuari retires from racing:

Spanish racer Jaime Alguersuari has announced that he is retiring from motorsport. Former F1 Toro Rosso driver, Alguersuari was ousted from F1 when Red Bull dropped him at the end of 2011. Just 21 at the time, Alguersuari found a new home in Formula E last year with the Virgin Racing team.
However, the Spanish driver collapsed after the Moscow ePrix in June 2014, and had his superlicence suspended while the FIA investigated the medical reason for his collapse.
Speaking in August, Alguersuari said that despite several tests, a medical resolution had not been found. As a result, he had to pull out of the 2015/2016 Formula E season with Virgin.
According to Motorsport.com & RTVE.es, the 25 year old announced his racing retirement at a press conference at the Consejo Superior de Deportes in Madrid on Thursday:
“I’ve decided now to stop because I basically have been in this business for eight years, I have learned a lot and I’ve had a good experience. It’s time for a change and have come to the conclusion myself.
“I need a change. I’ve lost my love for this girlfriend. I’m 25 and I’ve decided to start a new chapter. It’s not a sad day. I’ve had fun driving. Right now I’m not crazy about racing. That’s why I’ve decided to stop.”
Alguersuari also works as a DJ, operating out a studio in Barcelona where he works under the moniker ‘Squire’. Having headlined festivals in Spain and releasing music that has charted on iTunes, Alguersuari’s career focus will switch to music for now. Speaking before his retirement, he said
“I’m a racing driver but I have another thing in my life, and that is music. It’s obviously quite strange to see a Formula One driver having another life but this is who I am. I’ve always said it’s important to follow your instincts: I love music and racing doesn’t interfere with that. I love to close the door and produce, compose, play music, listen to music. I couldn’t live without it, just as I couldn’t live without racing.”
“Now what makes me happy is to go to my house, go the studio and make music. I want to look at the computer and attach new synthesizers. I will make music. I want a new way. If I knew what’s going to happen, life would be boring!”

post #4217 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
A record $37 million worth of cars were destroyed making the new 007 film "Spectre". Including 7 Aston Martin DB10s.
They should have hired the guys who worked on 'Need For Speed'. They created replicas for all the high end cars they wrecked.
post #4218 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post
They should have hired the guys who worked on 'Need For Speed'. They created replicas for all the high end cars they wrecked.
This is Bond,James Bond,Agent 007,we don't use replies here.
post #4219 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
This is Bond,James Bond,Agent 007,we don't use replies here.
They did with the AMs in the previous film.

post #4220 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thank you kindly sir for clearing that up.
post #4221 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you kindly sir for clearing that up.
I recall the Director talking about it in a featurette on the BD.
Something to the effect, "No one is crazy/stupid enough to bash up an AM unless absolutely no other way is found."
The featurette showed the Stunt Cars being made up to look LIKE Astons (reproduction body panels on a stunt chassis, etc.).

post #4222 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 03:48 PM

Supposedly this latest Bond cost 300 mil to make and they'll spend another 300 mil to promote it. Crazy.
post #4223 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Supposedly this latest Bond cost 300 mil to make and they'll spend another 300 mil to promote it. Crazy.
Dr No, the first bond film, cost about a million to make in 1961. Or roughly 8 million today accounting for inflation. That wouldn't even pay Daniel Craig's salary for Spectre. Even Thunderball, one of the most expensive films ever at the time would only have cost $42mil in 2015 dollars. How times have changed.

I'm a huge Bond fan, and this one looks cool. Of course Skyfall looked cool too but had plot holes big enough to drive a truck through.
Tack likes this.
post #4224 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I read that too.
If true, that's a little on the crazy side IMO.

BTW, I tried to find an official budget cost online, but couldn't.

post #4225 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Dr No, the first bond film, cost about a million to make in 1961. Or roughly 8 million today accounting for inflation. That wouldn't even pay Daniel Craig's salary for Spectre. Even Thunderball, one of the most expensive films ever at the time would only have cost $42mil in 2015 dollars. How times have changed.

I'm a huge Bond fan, and this one looks cool. Of course Skyfall looked cool too but had plot holes big enough to drive a truck through.

Speaking of Craig, he has lifetime privilege at Aston Martin. He can swing by at any time and borrow whatever he wants. He can also use their test track. "Must be nice" is an overused saying, but man... Must be nice.
post #4226 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I read that too.
If true, that's a little on the crazy side IMO.

BTW, I tried to find an official budget cost online, but couldn't.

It wouldn't surprise me. Remember Waterworld breaking the bank at 175 mil? That was 1995. 300 mil doesn't seem a stretch for 2015. Still crazy though.
post #4227 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked: 2515
Dont remember the budget offhand but Moonraker was the most expensive film ever made when it came out.
post #4228 of 5886 Old 10-01-2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Craig, he has lifetime privilege at Aston Martin. He can swing by at any time and borrow whatever he wants. He can also use their test track. "Must be nice" is an overused saying, but man... Must be nice.
I would say "must be nice" is a bit of an understatement.

post #4229 of 5886 Old 10-02-2015, 06:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2526 Post(s)
Liked: 2358
So additional fallout from the VW Diesel scandal.

http://sniffpetrol.com/2015/10/02/ep.../#.Vg5CDbyxppk
Tack likes this.

#JB17
post #4230 of 5886 Old 10-02-2015, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Jaime Alguersuari retires from racing:

Spanish racer Jaime Alguersuari has announced that he is retiring from motorsport. Former F1 Toro Rosso driver, Alguersuari was ousted from F1 when Red Bull dropped him at the end of 2011. Just 21 at the time, Alguersuari found a new home in Formula E last year with the Virgin Racing team.
However, the Spanish driver collapsed after the Moscow ePrix in June 2014, and had his superlicence suspended while the FIA investigated the medical reason for his collapse.
Speaking in August, Alguersuari said that despite several tests, a medical resolution had not been found. As a result, he had to pull out of the 2015/2016 Formula E season with Virgin.
According to Motorsport.com & RTVE.es, the 25 year old announced his racing retirement at a press conference at the Consejo Superior de Deportes in Madrid on Thursday:
“I’ve decided now to stop because I basically have been in this business for eight years, I have learned a lot and I’ve had a good experience. It’s time for a change and have come to the conclusion myself.
“I need a change. I’ve lost my love for this girlfriend. I’m 25 and I’ve decided to start a new chapter. It’s not a sad day. I’ve had fun driving. Right now I’m not crazy about racing. That’s why I’ve decided to stop.”
Alguersuari also works as a DJ, operating out a studio in Barcelona where he works under the moniker ‘Squire’. Having headlined festivals in Spain and releasing music that has charted on iTunes, Alguersuari’s career focus will switch to music for now. Speaking before his retirement, he said
“I’m a racing driver but I have another thing in my life, and that is music. It’s obviously quite strange to see a Formula One driver having another life but this is who I am. I’ve always said it’s important to follow your instincts: I love music and racing doesn’t interfere with that. I love to close the door and produce, compose, play music, listen to music. I couldn’t live without it, just as I couldn’t live without racing.”
“Now what makes me happy is to go to my house, go the studio and make music. I want to look at the computer and attach new synthesizers. I will make music. I want a new way. If I knew what’s going to happen, life would be boring!”
Unreal, 25 as well! That is going to be strange from a multi million racing playground to a DJ.

Or the Renault crash stigma still exists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page