Amazon: The Man in the High Castle - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 203Likes

post #391 of 396 Old 12-06-2019, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Liked: 1986
I was fine with the ending, though I understand where others are coming from. But at the end of the day, this isn’t the kind of thing that has the potential to ruin the entire series like we’ve seen with certain other popular sci-fi/fantasy TV series of late.

To put this in perspective (without spoiling anything), the ending to The Man in the High Castle is neither of the following:

A final scene finds Juliana, Joe, Ed, Frank, Wyatt, Tagomi, Childan, Kido, John Smith, etc. sharing laughs and hugs in some kind of afterlife, having all been killed in a nuclear holocaust at the beginning of the season but not all of them realizing it until the final episode.

Or,

A self-exiled Juliana steals US nuclear codes from the other world, returns, goes crazy, and uses them to nuke Nazi-occupied New York City. A guy name Jon kills her to prevent her from nuking other Nazi-occupied cities. But feeling like he can no longer be an effective leader, the Nazi party leadership elevates Jon's young daughter Amy, the only one in the family with a true Nazi vision, to the role of Reichsmarschall and gives his oldest daughter, Jennifer, the state of Montana to rule as a completely autonomous state, just because.

So really not such a bad ending when you think about it. 😉
Aleron Ives likes this.

Last edited by Zookster; 12-06-2019 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 396 Old 12-06-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post

To put this in perspective (without spoiling anything), the ending to The Man in the High Castle is neither of the following:

A final scene finds Juliana, Joe, Ed, , Wyatt, Tagomi, Childan, Kido, John Smith, etc. sharing laughs and hugs in some kind of afterlife, having all been killed in a nuclear holocaust at the beginning of the season but not all of them realizing it until the final episode.

Or,

A self-exiled Juliana steals US nuclear codes from the other world, returns, goes crazy, and uses them to nuke Nazi-occupied New York City. A guy name Jon kills her to prevent her from nuking other Nazi-occupied cities. But feeling like he can no longer be an effective leader, the Nazi party leadership elevates Jon's young daughter Amy, the only one in the family with a true Nazi vision, to the role of Reichsmarschall and gives his oldest daughter, Jennifer, the state of Montana to rule as a completely autonomous state, just because.

😉
OOO, can I play too?
It didn't end either with Juliana stabbing Smith's wife in both worlds, having passionate sex with him after crossing to the other world, where they start a New Nazi party..........
post #393 of 396 Old 12-06-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Well, finished S4. This has a better ending than GOT S8. The last few minutes were open ended or nebulous which I can deal with.
Enjoy Smith's and Kido's characters, as well as Childen's love story. Juliana was kind of weak this season. Glad that there were only 4 seasons, not 8.
Next stop is action series, Jack Ryan's 4k PQ looks good so far with S1, very late to the game.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 396 Old 12-07-2019, 06:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 958 Post(s)
Liked: 2379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
The ending did seem rushed to me. Also,
Spoiler!
Yes.

Spoiler!

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #395 of 396 Old 12-07-2019, 06:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_the_xmtr_tech View Post
I personally rather liked the finale--though I do agree with the others here who have said that things seemed definitely rushed as it headed towards conclusion. Coming up with an ending that satisfies most viewers is a tough challenge for even the best writers, especially considering the number of characters and the overall complexity of the plot here. IMHO, viewers are being challenged by the writer to think. What is taking place at the very end is decidedly more up to your own interpretation than it is with most finales; in that respect, this seemed just a little bit similar to the end of The Sopranos, because..

Spoiler!

The acting, locations, and overall production values remain simply phenomenal right down to the last scene! Gotta say one thing though... I've been all through the Poconos from Elmira to Scranton to Philly over the years, and there is no part of that region that looks even remotely like the Canadian Rockies locations that were used, . That's quite a Delaware Water Gap, eh?
Spoiler!

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #396 of 396 Old 12-07-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post
I was okay with the ending. It was one of many possible endings, and you can't have them all. Not all questions answered, but that's okay. I agree with others who said that the series makes you think and speculate, much like the book.
There is a tendency to wrap everything up with a neat bow. Some series ( the Sopranos comes to mind) leave the explanations up to the viewer. Some (like Lost) wrap things up to the satisfaction of some but not others. I'd rather savor a story long after it "ends".
Spoiler!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page