Amazon: The Man in the High Castle - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #61 of 396 Old 12-01-2015, 01:30 PM
Senior Member
 
lokar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Have watched 3 episodes now and some plot happenings seem a little too convenient, I will spoilery list them below and would appreciate those who have seen it telling me if I missed something. I can't continue much longer if things like this are going to keep happening. The most glaring problems to me are:

Spoiler!
lokar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #62 of 396 Old 12-01-2015, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MeatChicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: NNJ
Posts: 1,715
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
Have watched 3 episodes now and some plot happenings seem a little too convenient, I will spoilery list them below and would appreciate those who have seen it telling me if I missed something. I can't continue much longer if things like this are going to keep happening. The most glaring problems to me are:

Spoiler!
Here's my thoughts on your comments:
Spoiler!
MeatChicken is offline  
post #63 of 396 Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Senior Member
 
lokar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatChicken View Post
Here's my thoughts on your comments:
Spoiler!
Thanks for replying, the first thing you mentioned really bugged me so I'm glad to hear that.
lokar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #64 of 396 Old 12-02-2015, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Since much of this thread about a TV show is devoted to whether or not to even discuss said TV show, I'll share my thoughts about that.

We apparently have created a world where no one is responsible for the results of their decisions. Personally, if I decide to watch a streaming show that has all its episodes posted, I DON'T READ A THREAD WHERE PEOPLE ARE DISCUSSING IT! I wait until I've watched all the episodes, rather than ask everyone not to discuss it until I've had time to catch up. That to me is more inconsiderate. It's not like you guys walked into my living room while I was watching it and started telling me what was going to happen next. If I'm here reading this thread, it's because I CHOSE to come here. It's on me.

But that's just me.

I think I'll head over to the Jessica Jones thread and not talk about that.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Pagali and Distorted like this.
leebo is offline  
post #65 of 396 Old 12-02-2015, 11:52 AM
Senior Member
 
lokar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I think for shows released all at once like this one and Jessica Jones, the threads should per episode instead of having one for the whole show. If that is deemed to be too much clutter, then maybe make a separate Binge Release subforum of HDTV Programming.
lokar is offline  
post #66 of 396 Old 12-02-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
rdclark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Philadelphia Vicinity
Posts: 4,817
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
I think for shows released all at once like this one and Jessica Jones, the threads should per episode instead of having one for the whole show. If that is deemed to be too much clutter, then maybe make a separate Binge Release subforum of HDTV Programming.
The spoiler-tag approach is working quite well in other, similar threads (and this one, too. It's an extra step, but not difficult. Type your post, select the text (that discusses specific plot points), and then just
Spoiler!
.

Much better than 13 separate threads.
mike1812 likes this.
rdclark is offline  
post #67 of 396 Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
The spoiler-tag approach is working quite well in other, similar threads (and this one, too. It's an extra step, but not difficult. Type your post, select the text (that discusses specific plot points), and then just
Spoiler!
.
.
Unless you're not using a standard desktop browser to read the forum.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
leebo is offline  
post #68 of 396 Old 12-03-2015, 05:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 25,653
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Unless you're not using a standard desktop browser to read the forum.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Don't understand. That's what I use -- Google Chrome on a PC. Never a problem with tags.

Real men type in their HTML codes anyway. It's faster. Treat your mouse as the vermin it is. Buttons are for sissies.
archiguy is online now  
post #69 of 396 Old 12-07-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
curtlots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northeast WI
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Really, really liking this show. I'm through episode 6 now.
curtlots is offline  
post #70 of 396 Old 12-07-2015, 07:16 AM
 
desmond82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Great show! Call me crazy but its the best thing I found as far as a streaming series. Based on the reviews it been getting there will be more to come.
desmond82 is offline  
post #71 of 396 Old 12-07-2015, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
cel4145's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 16,705
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
I think for shows released all at once like this one and Jessica Jones, the threads should per episode instead of having one for the whole show. If that is deemed to be too much clutter, then maybe make a separate Binge Release subforum of HDTV Programming.
The problem with that is keeping it straight if one binge watches. The boundaries of the actual episode are often very blurred to me after binge watching a series.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
cel4145 is offline  
post #72 of 396 Old 12-07-2015, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Don't understand. That's what I use -- Google Chrome on a PC. Never a problem with tags.

Real men type in their HTML codes anyway. It's faster. Treat your mouse as the vermin it is. Buttons are for sissies.
Reread what I wrote. I said, "except for those NOT using a standard browser". I read and post from my phone, so I'm using an app that makes the forum much easier to read than a browser, but it can't do spoiler tags. Even if it could, why make everyone click and click and click to read each post just because of a few who do not have the patience to complete a series before reading discussion about that series? Why not make a rule for movie theaters where movies must be rewound each time someone who could not be bothered to arrive on time entered the theater? This is a bizarro world!

I stand by my opinion that anyone who has not watched all episodes in a" binge watch "type series, who decides to read a thread about that series, should not expect the world to protect them from spoilers. It is NOT the same as a weekly broadcast series.

Signature edited to appease the OCD's
cctvtech and cel4145 like this.
leebo is offline  
post #73 of 396 Old 12-07-2015, 03:09 PM
Senior Member
 
cprawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 76
I ended up watching The Man in The High Castle and I didn't care for it. I fell asleep many times, but watched all 10 episodes. I didn't like it. It was too dramatic for me. The concept is too weird for me to watch. Much like the book, it was mellow dramatic. I kept falling asleep.

For some reason the symbol of the Swastika always bothered me and I can see some group watch this show over and over of their pea brain hatred for others.

Yeah, I actually didn't liked this one at all.

The book was enough for my imagination.
Machuran likes this.

No longer looking straight into a flashlight. Calibrate!
2014 Vizio P60 1.3.26-UHD Settings.
cprawks is offline  
post #74 of 396 Old 12-07-2015, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Garrett Adams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Stockton, CA USA
Posts: 3,870
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1139 Post(s)
Liked: 1371
Leave it to the Nazi's to tarnish a revered 2,000 year plus symbol.
baja7475 likes this.
Garrett Adams is offline  
post #75 of 396 Old 12-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Senior Member
 
lokar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Finished this last night, was underwhelmed at the end. I don't think the ending was satisfactory at all, anyone want to give their opinion on the ending?
Machuran likes this.
lokar is offline  
post #76 of 396 Old 12-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Senior Member
 
calculon68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
Finished this last night, was underwhelmed at the end. I don't think the ending was satisfactory at all, anyone want to give their opinion on the ending?
I liked the ending, but I'm a fan of the book.

Spoiler!
calculon68 is offline  
post #77 of 396 Old 12-10-2015, 01:06 PM
Senior Member
 
lokar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
I liked the ending, but I'm a fan of the book.

Spoiler!
Spoiler!
lokar is offline  
post #78 of 396 Old 12-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Member
 
rckrzy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bedford TX
Posts: 179
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I think the show being 4K is what even got me to watch it. Nice to have this available right after buying my 4K TV. I may just stay with amazon prime as they do a great job of streaming. I only have 15 down internet and netflix can't stream a HD movie yet amazon worked flawless with UHD.
rckrzy1 is offline  
post #79 of 396 Old 12-10-2015, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
archiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 25,653
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
How does Amazon stream video anyway? Do you need an app on your machine like Netflix or Pandora?
archiguy is online now  
post #80 of 396 Old 12-10-2015, 03:00 PM
Senior Member
 
calculon68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oklahoma City, OK
Posts: 333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokar View Post
Spoiler!
Huge book spoilers ahead:

Spoiler!


More Book and Meaning Spoilers

Spoiler!


I'm excited to see where season 2 goes since (like GoT) we're going totally off-book now.
calculon68 is offline  
post #81 of 396 Old 12-11-2015, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
BriscoCountyJr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
How does Amazon stream video anyway? Do you need an app on your machine like Netflix or Pandora?
Yes on a Smart TV or device like a Roku or smartphone you use an Amazon Prime video app. Also can stream on a PC thru the amazon website.
BriscoCountyJr is offline  
post #82 of 396 Old 12-11-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
replayrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NY- The tax State
Posts: 6,603
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 1818
^ TiVo also has a built-in Amazon app- and it works really well on the modern TiVo's if you have a decent broadband connection.
One nice TiVo/Amazon feature is you can start watching the Amazon show on the TiVo- go to another room where you have a TiVo Mini- the show resumes from the point where you left off on the TiVo- later if you go back to the original TiVo- you can pick up where you left off viewing on the Mini in the other room.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."

Last edited by replayrob; 12-11-2015 at 08:05 AM.
replayrob is offline  
post #83 of 396 Old 12-11-2015, 11:14 AM
 
oink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Shuloch
Posts: 34,843
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Anyone trying to watch this in 4K?
IIRC, it is in HDR too.



oink is offline  
post #84 of 396 Old 12-11-2015, 12:53 PM
Senior Member
 
lokar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 352
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rckrzy1 View Post
I think the show being 4K is what even got me to watch it. Nice to have this available right after buying my 4K TV. I may just stay with amazon prime as they do a great job of streaming. I only have 15 down internet and netflix can't stream a HD movie yet amazon worked flawless with UHD.
You're lucky, I get 17 down and I don't hit 1080p on Amazon most of the time.
lokar is offline  
post #85 of 396 Old 12-11-2015, 01:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
^ TiVo also has a built-in Amazon app- and it works really well on the modern TiVo's if you have a decent broadband connection.
One nice TiVo/Amazon feature is you can start watching the Amazon show on the TiVo- go to another room where you have a TiVo Mini- the show resumes from the point where you left off on the TiVo- later if you go back to the original TiVo- you can pick up where you left off viewing on the Mini in the other room.
I believe all the streaming sites work like that (Netflix, Hulu,etc.), as long as you log in with the same user name. TiVo, Roku, Fire TV, etc.

Signature edited to appease the OCD's
leebo is offline  
post #86 of 396 Old 12-12-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Distorted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: San Antonio, Tx Area
Posts: 2,318
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
I believe all the streaming sites work like that (Netflix, Hulu,etc.), as long as you log in with the same user name. TiVo, Roku, Fire TV, etc.

Signature edited to appease the OCD's
Apple TV, in a fit of pique, does not have Amazon connection, at least my older one did not before I quit using it, when I went Tivo. Oddly, the manual remote navigation on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. on the Tivo Romeo is pathetically primative in comparison to Apple TV however. FF and Back are a nightmare, for instance.

.........

"Without music, life would be a mistake." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Distorted is offline  
post #87 of 396 Old 12-12-2015, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
leebo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: LA
Posts: 2,555
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distorted View Post
Apple TV, in a fit of pique, does not have Amazon connection, at least my older one did not before I quit using it, when I went Tivo. Oddly, the manual remote navigation on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, etc. on the Tivo Romeo is pathetically primative in comparison to Apple TV however. FF and Back are a nightmare, for instance.
That sucks, but how does it relate to the previous posters comment about resuming playback on another device?

Signature edited to appease the OCD's
leebo is offline  
post #88 of 396 Old 12-14-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member
 
curtlots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northeast WI
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond82 View Post
Great show! Call me crazy but its the best thing I found as far as a streaming series. Based on the reviews it been getting there will be more to come.
If you're crazy, then so am I

Finished episodes 8 and 9 over the weekend, Wow. As much as I can't wait to watch the final episode, I hate to see it end... at least the first year.
desmond82 likes this.
curtlots is offline  
post #89 of 396 Old 12-15-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
curtlots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northeast WI
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Episode 10, season 1 in the books. Here's hoping Amazon renews this and doesn't take too long for season 2.

Thoroughly enjoyed this show. Big thumbs up!
curtlots is offline  
post #90 of 396 Old 12-15-2015, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
curtlots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northeast WI
Posts: 906
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Episode 10, season 1 in the books. Here's hoping Amazon renews this and doesn't take too long for season 2.

Thoroughly enjoyed this show. Big thumbs up!
curtlots is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Programming

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off