Amazon: The Man in the High Castle - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 203Likes

post #91 of 396 Old 12-19-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
Watched the final 5 episodes yesterday. Very pleased that there will be a second season. I am still trying to figure a number of things but I was thrown for a loop when...
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 396 Old 01-02-2016, 02:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I just finished episode 6 & 7.

I was sort of emphasizing with Juliana and Joe
Spoiler!

I like Rufus Sewell's portrayal, he sells it well so far.

v/r,
C-F
post #93 of 396 Old 01-04-2016, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Liked: 1897
Thinking back, it was unfortunate that The Man In The High Castle was released almost simultaneously with Jessica Jones as 'Jessica' seemed to get the most attention.
If the timing was better- The Man In The High Castle could have had much better exposure.
Overall it think it was very well done- but just suffers from lack of viewers.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 396 Old 01-04-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6462 Post(s)
Liked: 7173
I wonder if or when it will be available from somewhere other than Amazon? Do they have plans to expand the viewing window to include other providers or do they intend to hold it as exclusive content forever?
post #95 of 396 Old 01-04-2016, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
I wonder if or when it will be available from somewhere other than Amazon? Do they have plans to expand the viewing window to include other providers or do they intend to hold it as exclusive content forever?
To the best of my knowledge none of Amazon's exclusive content has ever been released on disc or syndicated. Their business model is very heavily reliant on selling Prime memberships (I believe they're well over the 20 million mark now), with a wide variety of perks and features designed to attract a wide spectrum of customers to the service. So releasing exclusive content to non-members would appear to work against that central strategy.

But who knows what will happen down the line?

(Personally, I consider the $100/year I spend on Prime to be a bargain. But then, I hate to shop in stores, so I do as much of my daily shopping on Amazon as I can. The included two-day shipping on a pack of ant traps or a bottle of skin lotion is, to me, worth the price all by itself, and indeed I was a Prime member before they ever introduced the video, music, book-borrowing, photo album, and all the other services they're bundling with it now.)
post #96 of 396 Old 01-04-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked: 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
To the best of my knowledge none of Amazon's exclusive content has ever been released on disc or syndicated. Their business model is very heavily reliant on selling Prime memberships (I believe they're well over the 20 million mark now), with a wide variety of perks and features designed to attract a wide spectrum of customers to the service. So releasing exclusive content to non-members would appear to work against that central strategy.

But who knows what will happen down the line?
Yeah. I think it's impossible to predict. But I wouldn't expect to see any of their Amazon originals on a competitive streaming service such as Netflix any time in the near future. Perhaps we'll see them on blu-ray a few years after release.

Your questions are answered: Speaker FAQ
Living room HT: Energy RC-50, Ascend Sierra Horizon w/RAAL, Ascend Sierra 1, PSB Imagine XA | PSA V1500 and CHT SS 18.1 | Denon X4200W | modified Dayton SA1000
Other rooms: CBM-170 SE | SVS SB-1000 | Audio-GD NFB-11 | Parasound Zamp | JBL LSR305
Headphone & Portable AKG K7XX | HE-400i | NAD HP50 | Sony MDR-1A | Soundmagic E50 & E80 | X5ii | DX50 | E12
post #97 of 396 Old 01-04-2016, 02:59 PM

Well then, looks like a one-month Prime "free trial" for me! I'll have to make sure I can watch the whole thing within that 30 day period. How many hours is it?
post #98 of 396 Old 01-04-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Well then, looks like a one-month Prime "free trial" for me! I'll have to make sure I can watch the whole thing within that 30 day period. How many hours is it?
10 one hour episodes.

Not sure if the previous discussion on non-Prime members was over not being able to see the show page, or if it was just not seeing purchase options, but here it is:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RSGIVVO/

v/r,
C-F
post #99 of 396 Old 01-05-2016, 09:06 AM

Went to that list and saw another problem. None of my BD's, AVR's, or displays show up as a "supported device". I'd probably have to watch it on my computer, I guess. If that's even possible without WMC...? If I watch it, I want it to be on my big TV or projector. I admit to being kind of a streaming novice. Netflix is about all I've ever done.
post #100 of 396 Old 01-05-2016, 12:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Went to that list and saw another problem. None of my BD's, AVR's, or displays show up as a "supported device". I'd probably have to watch it on my computer, I guess. If that's even possible without WMC...? If I watch it, I want it to be on my big TV or projector. I admit to being kind of a streaming novice. Netflix is about all I've ever done.
If you have an appropriate broadband connection and HD display, I'd suggest you owe it to yourself to add a Roku or Amazon FireTV to your system. If all you need is 1080p, wifi, and HDMI, the cheapest Roku will do (refurbished as low as $40). Even if you end up not paying to subscribe to anything, you'll find a Roku can be an entertaining and useful device. A Roku will get you everything out there except iTunes.
post #101 of 396 Old 01-05-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
If you have an appropriate broadband connection and HD display, I'd suggest you owe it to yourself to add a Roku or Amazon FireTV to your system. If all you need is 1080p, wifi, and HDMI, the cheapest Roku will do (refurbished as low as $40). Even if you end up not paying to subscribe to anything, you'll find a Roku can be an entertaining and useful device. A Roku will get you everything out there except iTunes.
Don't really have a need for it. Got too much on my cable DVR to keep up with anyway. I really just want to watch this one series.
post #102 of 396 Old 01-05-2016, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Too bad. I get Amazon on my Sony S590 BD player, my PS3, my Roku (up in the bedroom), my FireTV (in the HT system), and my TiVo. Wish I could share the wealth!
post #103 of 396 Old 01-05-2016, 03:42 PM

Well, I do have a PS3 in another room and that's a supported device. Maybe I could move it to the theater room for a while just to access Amazon. Hmmmm......
post #104 of 396 Old 01-05-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe a laptop with HDMI output?

(Kind of wishing I had a PJ again).

v/r,
C-F
post #105 of 396 Old 01-08-2016, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
They did explain it, it's a reference to the Bible, Ecclesiastes 12:5 (which Juliana mistakenly thought referred to the time she was supposed to meet her contact in Canon City).

That said, I think the show was well done but misfired by not being weird enough. The PKD novel haunted me for years after I finished it.
Spoiler!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
I liked the ending, but I'm a fan of the book.

Spoiler!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculon68 View Post
Huge book spoilers ahead:

Spoiler!

More Book and Meaning Spoilers

Spoiler!

I'm excited to see where season 2 goes since (like GoT) we're going totally off-book now.

I finished it. I agreed with some posters' comments about the ambiguous ending, but the spoiler text in calculon68's second post changed my perception of a couple things that were bugging me.
Spoiler!

v/r,
C-F
post #106 of 396 Old 01-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 69
The "leads" are the least interesting characters to me. (Joe, Juliana, Frank) And if that's the last we'll see of Joe- I'm not losing sleep over it. The "supporting" cast is more watchable- Hido, Smith and Tagomi. Those guys steal what ever scene they're featured in.

I'm hoping the showrunners keep the alternate universe(s) as enigmatic as possible. I'm not sure if I could tolerate a lot of "crossover" moments- lest it become a bad Star Trek or Fringe episode.
Spoiler!
post #107 of 396 Old 01-11-2016, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1151 Post(s)
Liked: 1395
As for not following the book...
Spoiler!
post #108 of 396 Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Did only watch the first two episodes so far - damn, Alexa Davalos is still tha bomb!!!!

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #109 of 396 Old 01-13-2016, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican4D View Post
Did only watch the first two episodes so far - damn, Alexa Davalos is still tha bomb!!!!
Oh, yeah, too bad she can't act.

As a senior citizen, with Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly gone, my holy trinity is Camilla Belle, Sarah Felberbaum and Alexa. (Figure that one out ) Just goes to show this stuff is highly personal and subjective, but watching Alexa sure made the slow, plodding script bearable.
Turrican4D likes this.

".....and remember, your mission, as always, is to.........kill Hitler!"
post #110 of 396 Old 01-16-2016, 09:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
I finished it, and am almost speechless.

My suggestion is, if you are part way through, and not pleased, just jump to the final episode. You will finally see the High Castle. And, in my opinion, save yourself many hours.

If this is the best of Amazon, they are still behind Netflix/HBO/Showtime/AMC.
You must have watched a different show, cause

Spoiler!

Prof. Dr. Turrican M.D.
post #111 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 02:08 PM

Just to be clear on this point, if you are a Prime member, do you still have to pay additional fees for this show? Or do you get to see all of Amazon's original video content, including this series, "free" as a perk of membership?
post #112 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNON-FODDER View Post
If you are a Prime Member, you get to see this show and other content marked as "Prime" for no additional charge.
Thanks. I presume all of their original scripted content is marked as "Prime"? What would be an example of content they would charge for, over and above the annual Prime membership fee?
post #113 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 679
Quote:
Thanks. I presume all of their original scripted content is marked as "Prime"? What would be an example of content they would charge for, over and above the annual Prime membership fee?
Amazon sells almost everything, so take your pick - any Showtime series e.g.

Various purchase (and rental) options - one episode, full season, SD, HD, or DVD/BD disks...

Some old HBO is Prime - True Blood e.g.

Then there are the add-on subscriptions - Starz, Acorn etc.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #114 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
Amazon sells almost everything, so take your pick - any Showtime series e.g.

Various purchase (and rental) options - one episode, full season, SD, HD, or DVD/BD disks...

Some old HBO is Prime - True Blood e.g.

Then there are the add-on subscriptions - Starz, Acorn etc.
I meant among their video streaming options, not including physical media. So, everything is "free" except certain content from outside premium networks like Showtime or HBO...?

I'm asking because I'm trying to evaluate if a membership is worth the cost. I'm not interested in any of their original content except this show. Anything else I want I can likely find on Netflix.
post #115 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Crap, I was going to delete that, quote you, and post these pics as an example.

Anyway, it's a mixed bag. Kind of like which things are streaming vs DVD-only on Netflix. It changes. I can watch Orphan Black Seasons 1 & 2 free, but would have to pay for #3 (I have the discs). I chose to pay for Defiance, Haven, and Doctor Who (mostly to be current/impatient). I had to pay for Childhood's End, some Primeval, the Peacekeeper Wars, and the last season of Warehouse 13 (because Netflix never picked it up and Hulu stopped showing SyFy stuff I guess).

v/r,
C-F
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1193290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prime2.png
Views:	56
Size:	611.5 KB
ID:	1193298  
post #116 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I meant among their video streaming options, not including physical media. So, everything is "free" except certain content from outside premium networks like Showtime or HBO...?

I'm asking because I'm trying to evaluate if a membership is worth the cost. I'm not interested in any of their original content except this show. Anything else I want I can likely find on Netflix.
No, you can't generalize at all - it just depends what streaming rights they negotiate for. Prime doesn't include Person of Interest, but they bought rights to stream UTD and Extant 4 days after airing. Same with movies - they recently got Interstellar e.g.

Edit> another example - The Expanse isn't Prime, but you can buy episodes for $2 SD, $3 HD or the season for $17/25. There's also the possibility that S1 could be included in Prime at some point in the future...

CC

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 01-18-2016 at 02:48 PM.
post #117 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4202 Post(s)
Liked: 3918
Quote:

You should check out Alpha House, it stars John Goodman as a US senator(Rep) from your state. It's a satirical comedy created by Garry Trudeau, I think you'll like it.
post #118 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
You should check out Alpha House, it stars John Goodman as a US senator(Rep) from your state. It's a satirical comedy created by Garry Trudeau, I think you'll like it.
I've heard about that one. Maybe I'll check it out if I finish TMITHC with some time to spare in my 30 day free trial window.
post #119 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 03:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I'd have to say that I don't think a Prime membership just for the video would be worthwhile for most people, even if you didn't already have Netflix.

I've used it a lot - especially love Mozart in the Jungle - but the real draw is free shipping both ways. I buy everything from water filters to oven bags to tech products to shoes and just send back what doesn't work - or what I find for a buck or 2 cheaper in the 30-day window. Recently I've returned a Tivo, a breadmaker, a USB3 hub and a slew of networking products like powerline ethernet, WiFi adapters, range extenders - I'll bet for every $1 of product I keep I send back $3. Considering the razor-thin margins they sell stuff at, they've got to be taking a beating on my business just from shipping costs, never mind having to re-sell all that stuff at refurbish prices...

CC

post #120 of 396 Old 01-18-2016, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 4202 Post(s)
Liked: 3918
It may have already been mentioned, but Prime membership was on sale for only $73 for new and returning members this past weekend, not sure if it's still available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page