AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   HDTV Programming (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/)
-   -   Amazon: The Man in the High Castle (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/1852730-amazon-man-high-castle.html)

Flambe 01-16-2015 08:59 PM

Amazon: The Man in the High Castle
 
The Man in the High Castle [TV-MA]

Based on Philip K. Dick's award-winning novel, and executive produced by Ridley Scott (Blade Runner), The Man in the High Castle explores what it would be like if the Allied Powers had lost WWII, and Japan and Germany ruled the United States. Starring Rufus Sewell (John Adams), Luke Kleintank (Pretty Little Liars) and Alexa Davalos (Mob City).

Runtime: 1 hour, 1 minute Original air date: January 15, 2015

I assume it's appropriate to discuss shows here even if they're not on cable/satellite/OTA?


The pilot episode of this is out on Amazon (free to Prime viewers) and if there's enough interest, they'll turn it into a series.


I watched this yesterday and wow, I think it's fascinating. The production quality is high, the plot is interesting and mostly the world they're in (the Nazis won!) is absolutely fascinating.


Has anyone else watched this? What are your thoughts? I for one hope they turn it into a full series.

Plasmacat 01-17-2015 10:10 AM

I thought it was excellent and hope they make it a series.
You do not need to be a Prime member to watch this - anybody can watch.

DuaneAA 01-17-2015 05:30 PM

The atmospheric feel of the show was excellent. It definitely felt like you were watching a high quality movie rather than just a TV show. It must have been set around 1960 based on the references to Hitler, Himmler, and other prominent figures from WWII still being alive. Being an old aerospace engineer, my favorite bit was the Nazi supersonic passenger jet. It looked real, so they definitely spent some money on the CGI.

All that being said, I wish it was a movie or just a short mini-series. I'm not sure this topic would sustain my interest for a full-length series. The pace of the episode seemed very slow and with the very minor level of resistance activity shown, it is hard to believe they could ever overthrow the Nazis or the Japanese unless the series is going to drag on for decades. I mean, realistically, all we got for an hour of our time was a guy driving a truck from the east coast towards somewhere around Utah and a girl riding a bus from the west coast towards the same place. It was hardly enough to get me excited to sit through hours and hours of this.

I enjoy alternate history stories and have read a lot of that type of novels and wished we would see more of it in TV and the movies. Therefore I think the basic concept of this show has some potential, but this pilot episode didn't hit it out of the park for me.

Duane

replayrob 01-20-2015 12:58 PM

Interesting premise, overall well done... I'd give the series a shot if/when.
Didn't see the double agent resistance guy coming :eek:

bobby94928 01-20-2015 02:54 PM

I liked it, a lot!!! I hope it gets the go ahead....

thelucky1 01-21-2015 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plasmacat (Post 30905265)
I thought it was excellent and hope they make it a series.


Yes I agree!

Flambe 01-21-2015 09:00 PM

Don't forget to write a review on the Amazon site for the pilot. Rate it highly (5*) if you liked it and low (1*) if you don't. They're using the feedback on the page to determine which pilots get turned into series...

oink 01-21-2015 11:28 PM

Dumped after 40 minutes.
Interesting concept, poor realization.
Too implausible, too soapy, too many tropes.


The show creators need to study their history a bit more closely.
No way would Americans have been treated human by the Japanese.
Not only that, but the American people at the time were nothing like what was portrayed on-screen.
Hell, the characters act as though they are from 2015, rather than 1960 or whatever.:rolleyes:




tonycsmoke 01-24-2015 03:50 PM

As a WWII history fanatic I found the premise exciting. Very well done and I hope that it goes to series.

darthrsg 02-03-2015 07:31 AM

I dig alternate history stuff but I'll wait until MechaHitler shows up.

Garrett Adams 10-24-2015 01:46 PM

This weekend the episode 1 (pilot) and episode 2 are available for viewing. I will probably watch them today. I assume episode details should not be discussed until the official November 20 release date.

replayrob 10-24-2015 01:59 PM

FWIW- the pilot episode, which was shown back in Jan is now labeled and renamed as episode one "The New World" , and a new episode two "Sunrise" is also available for streaming.
So if you watched the pilot back in Jan, you can just start off with episode two...

cel4145 10-24-2015 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garrett Adams (Post 38355521)
This weekend the episode 1 (pilot) and episode 2 are available for viewing. I will probably watch them today. I assume episode details should not be discussed until the official November 20 release date.

Well, it's free to everyone right now for this weekend, and then available to Prime Members after that. So that's as good as being aired once on cable, isn't it? Do we have to wait on people that didn't bother to watch it while it was free?

cel4145 10-24-2015 04:36 PM

Without giving any spoilers, I thought the 2nd episode did a good job of picking up where the 1st one left off and continued to keep my interest.

Garrett Adams 10-24-2015 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cel4145 (Post 38359977)
Well, it's free to everyone right now for this weekend, and then available to Prime Members after that. So that's as good as being aired once on cable, isn't it? Do we have to wait on people that didn't bother to watch it while it was free?

I didn't catch the free to everyone part. In that case I'd say let's dish.

rebkell 10-25-2015 12:31 PM

Thanks for the heads up, I liked the first two, I'm looking forward to catching the whole season.

Garrett Adams 10-25-2015 01:12 PM

This show is a real nail-biter. I'm a sucker for the alternate reality genre and The Man in the High Castle takes it to a new level.

cel4145 10-25-2015 01:18 PM

I think the premise is really cool. This alternate history stuff hasn't been done much on TV, so it's very refreshing.

Brian Conrad 10-25-2015 02:24 PM

I watched episode 2 last night. I can't imagine Amazon just making these episodes long term for Prime members only. That would be quite a scam. They are free for Prime so why not charge for those who don't have Prime because it doesn't make much sense unless you order a lot of stuff from Amazon.

lovinthehd 10-25-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conrad (Post 38378593)
I watched episode 2 last night. I can't imagine Amazon just making these episodes long term for Prime members only. That would be quite a scam. They are free for Prime so why not charge for those who don't have Prime because it doesn't make much sense unless you order a lot of stuff from Amazon.

So those of us that pay for Prime can feel special. :cool:

bobby94928 10-25-2015 02:52 PM

Non Prime members will be able to order a bluray set later I'm sure...

Lozin 10-25-2015 04:19 PM

That's the plan

cel4145 10-25-2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Conrad (Post 38378593)
I watched episode 2 last night. I can't imagine Amazon just making these episodes long term for Prime members only. That would be quite a scam. They are free for Prime so why not charge for those who don't have Prime because it doesn't make much sense unless you order a lot of stuff from Amazon.

Don't they typically offer subscription fees to their original series for non Prime members? I thought that's how it always worked. Although admittedly, I'm a Prime member so I haven't paid a lot of attention to the non member offerings.

Brian Conrad 10-25-2015 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cel4145 (Post 38381097)
Don't they typically offer subscription fees to their original series for non Prime members? I thought that's how it always worked. Although admittedly, I'm a Prime member so I haven't paid a lot of attention to the non member offerings.

If they do they kinda hide it. "Transparent" is available at $2.99 for HD to non-Prime members but "Bosch" is Prime only.

I read about this series recently being greenlit for episodes (seemed to take Amazon a while to decide). Then one of their emails the other day where they try to list items they think you'll be interested in had a link to episode 2 above the list.

MeatChicken 11-19-2015 10:28 AM

I watched these 1st 2 eps yesterday, and I'm liking it so far, & I see that it is getting high marks from reviewers as well ....
The "Films" in the episodes clearly seem to be an (our) alternate reality.. They were watching the actual films of the Japanese surrender, FDR ect ... & the 1962 Nazis seem to be way overly concerned with them ...
Tomorrow ( 11/20) they release the rest of the season 1 episodes so I will binge watch them soon ...

archiguy 11-19-2015 11:34 AM

As a fan of alternative history stuff, I really want to see this. Looks like a 30 day free trial of Amazon Prime is in my immediate future! Can you say "binge"?

I wasn't familiar with this particular work by the prolific Philip K. Dick, but another book in this same vein (Axis powers won WWII) is Fatherland by Robert Harris. It's more of a classic detective novel though, with an alt-history overlay.

MeatChicken 11-19-2015 11:40 AM

Hmm ..
The Japanese official was using I-Ching sticks ..
In the 1960's Dark Shadows show , there was a plotline where vampire Barnabas Collins used I-Ching sticks to travel into the past ... ;)

RoyGBiv 11-20-2015 08:24 AM

I am looking forward to this show. Fans of alternate history might also want to read SS-GB by Len Deighton, a great suspense writer. It posits what would have happened had Germany won the Battle of Britain.

SMK

MeatChicken 11-21-2015 06:44 AM

So how does this work, discussion wise ...
I am thru episode 7 , do we simply discuss, or does everything have to be in spoiler tags? ..

jamieva 11-21-2015 07:58 AM

If someone comes into the thread having not watched the show I think they cannot complain if spoilers are posted by those that have watched already. I'm sure some will disagree.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:31 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.