'The Expanse' on Syfy & Amazon Prime - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2555Likes

post #3121 of 3182 Old 11-27-2019, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5144 Post(s)
Liked: 4605
Season 4 - Official Trailer: Pop Up Edition | Prime Video

aaronwt and Garrett Adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3122 of 3182 Old 11-27-2019, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked: 1830
Expanse character recap up to Season 3.

aaronwt likes this.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.

Last edited by daryl zero; 11-27-2019 at 08:24 AM.
post #3123 of 3182 Old 11-29-2019, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Sorry for the late notice, but all the Expanse novels, along with Auberon, are on sale on Amazon (Kindle ebook). Today only. Most are $3.99.
https://www.amazon.com/b/ref=sv_ksto...de=11552285011

Auberon came off hold a few days ago - I've got to start it but I'm in the middle of Tana French's 2nd book and haven't been able to put it down.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3124 of 3182 Old 12-02-2019, 03:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A month or so to do the research and then Black Friday for the purchase. That still gets me set up & ready to roll before the Rocinante touches down on... well, you know.

Like Zook, I need a TV with a center stand that will rotate, as my LHX has. My living room has a lot of windows and reducing glare is key, so rotating the TV away from the windows during daylight hours is important. This stand that Westly references might just do the trick! I was going to build a plywood base with a ball-bearing turntable, but for $45(!), I'll just buy one like this. Great find!

Speaking of glare, my LHX has a bona-fide matte screen that does a pretty good job of reducing glare. How are these LG's you guys have been referencing (C-7, C-8, etc.) in that department?
Curious minds would like to know what you ended up doing.

"Nowadays, you can just click a button and buy a book, meet your spouse or ruin someone's life. Sometimes those last two are the same thing." John Oliver.
post #3125 of 3182 Old 12-02-2019, 04:22 PM

less then 2 weeks to go before S4 hits...woot!...although I do hear that Cibola Burn is not in the top tier of Expanse books...Nemesis Games seems to get more praise...I wonder if S4 will get into Book 5
post #3126 of 3182 Old 12-03-2019, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post
less then 2 weeks to go before S4 hits...woot!...although I do hear that Cibola Burn is not in the top tier of Expanse books...Nemesis Games seems to get more praise...I wonder if S4 will get into Book 5
While Cibola Burn was received unenthusiastically by some (not by me, though), the very reasons for that may very well make for even better television. I’ll explain what I mean in spoiler tags; some unspecific plot spoilers are also included.

Spoiler!

So I’m not worried. I expect the best season of The Expanse yet, in part because of — and definitely not in spite of — the book it’s based on.
post #3127 of 3182 Old 12-03-2019, 06:57 AM

the 4th book, Cibola Burn includes mention of a cool creature that will not be appearing on the TV show because it would be too darn expensive to create and Ty Franck is bummed about it:

"I didn't get my mimic lizard, which made me very sad. He was a little lizard in the books that we didn't get to have because he would have cost one jillion dollars and the studio didn't want to pay one jillion dollars. So we didn't get him. But we got all the other stuff"

Ty Franck, also an executive producer on the show, told reporters on a set visit that The Expanse Season 4 will diverge a little from the books in the middle of the season and then come back to where the book is at the end...The Expanse Season 4 will have 10 episodes and all 10 are releasing as a gift to the galaxy on Friday, December 13, 2019...

https://www.tvguide.com/news/the-exp...on-4-spoilers/
replayrob likes this.
post #3128 of 3182 Old 12-03-2019, 07:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
Quote:
... Season 4 will have 10 episodes and all 10 are releasing as a gift to the galaxy on Friday, December 13, 2019...
Nice!

So in December we have...

Dec 13th- The Expanse 10 episodes
Dec 13th- Marvel's Runaways 10 episodes
Dec 24th- Lost in Space 10 episodes

Happy TV viewing everyone
aaronwt, A.Bell and allargon like this.

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #3129 of 3182 Old 12-03-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Nice!

????
Dec 24th- Lost in Space 10 episodes

wait, you didn't put Runaways in with The Expanse and Lost in Space did you?? ...I'll replace Runaways with The Witcher on Netflix- Dec 20th
aaronwt, JudgeSmails and Zookster like this.
post #3130 of 3182 Old 12-03-2019, 07:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked: 1838
^ only for reference my friend!

"we're still here!" "no days off" "yada, yada yada..."
post #3131 of 3182 Old 12-03-2019, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1838 Post(s)
Liked: 1854
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post

So I’m not worried. I expect the best season of The Expanse yet, in part because of — and definitely not in spite of — the book it’s based on.
Not to mention because of Amazon's budget for season 4.
allargon likes this.
post #3132 of 3182 Old 12-03-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
While Cibola Burn was received unenthusiastically by some (not by me, though), the very reasons for that may very well make for even better television.
I agree and I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that this book would fit a teleplay almost better than any of the other books because of location and action.

post #3133 of 3182 Old 12-04-2019, 06:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 682
I've been eagerly awaiting Dec 13th

I've also got books 7 & 8 to read yet. Now that GoT's S8 is over, it's Expanse all the way! Well, add in Altered Carbon & Man in the High Castle

Steve
post #3134 of 3182 Old 12-04-2019, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6319 Post(s)
Liked: 6978
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl zero View Post
Curious minds would like to know what you ended up doing.
Well, since you asked...

I got one of those table stands (the one from "Fitueyes") that rotates the top part where the TV is attached about 70 degrees. It's got a glass base, looks nice, substantially made. I think it will easily hold a 65" TV, as advertised. Less than $50!

Finding the TV, that 65" LG C9, at the price I want to pay has been a tougher proposition. I just missed a great deal late on Black Friday that hit the number I wanted (they sold out in 3 hours), and haven't been able to find anything else from an "authorized dealer" within $200 of it. So I'm still waiting & watching. Getting a little nervous, as Dec 13th is now only 10 days away! And it has to be delivered and set up before the Roci touches down on Ilus!

Meanwhile, all the other stuff in the 4K chain - new AVR, UHD player, ATV4K streamer, all the "certified premium" HDMI cables, & the 4 Atmos speakers - is either here or on the way. Got the first two at wholesale!
Keenan likes this.
post #3135 of 3182 Old 12-04-2019, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Excerpt from TV Guide's season 4 review. Very positive (of course).

Quote:
The Expanse's fourth season throws a lot of balls into the air, and in the six episodes released to critics in advance, it juggles them all impressively. That's because The Expanse is an extremely detail-oriented show. Everything that happens and everything you see, right down to the placement of the moon(s) in the sky, is firmly rooted in science. And while science isn't what drives the show, it is what keeps this world grounded, making sure the most exaggerated or otherworldly events never spin out of control. Even the parade of disasters the Roci crew faces on Ilus doesn't feel like a cheap plot device to put obstacles in their way, but a futuristic take on the real-life historical explorations that inspired it, such as the first English settlers' arrival in Australia.

All of this is why it's so fitting that this season marks the show's first on Amazon. As Season 4 finds its characters learning how to navigate this new world, the show is also entering into a new phase of its run, one that comes with its own set of complicated questions but also previously unimagined avenues of possibilities. And for the first time since The Expanse's debut in 2015, it feels as though the series might finally get the well-earned recognition it deserves.

TV Guide Rating: 4.5/5
archiguy, aaronwt, ss9001 and 1 others like this.
post #3136 of 3182 Old 12-04-2019, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked: 682
^^
"And for the first time since The Expanse's debut in 2015, it feels as though the series might finally get the well-earned recognition it deserves."

Amen to that!

Based on what's on SyFy anymore, it's obvious that hard scifi & SyFy are becoming strangers. For me, their glory days are over and I am turning to Netflix & Prime for scifi. The last running SyFy series remotely resembling space opera was Krypton and they cancelled it while season 2 was still warm.

I have high hopes for Expanse's future on Amazon. Such a great show that indeed deserves better than partnering with SyFy.
allargon likes this.

Steve
post #3137 of 3182 Old 12-04-2019, 03:57 PM

Update: Just pulled the trigger on that 65" LG C9 TV. Couldn't wait any longer. It was haunting me. Bought it through an ebay Marketplace seller & saved $100, so not an "authorized" dealer. But the seller had a 100% positive rating, so that gives me a degree of comfort. LG's manufacturer warranty is still in effect.
post #3138 of 3182 Old 12-05-2019, 06:46 PM

The Expanse - Blue Origin Cast Visit

post #3139 of 3182 Old 12-05-2019, 07:31 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
How is The Expanse going to be presented, HD or HDR?

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3140 of 3182 Old 12-05-2019, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by replayrob View Post
Nice!

I totally forgot that ALL the Expense episodes
will come out on one day.
Good thing I’ll be out of town or else I might OD.
Totally agree with RDClark, Cibola Burn is a great book.

Last edited by locomo; 12-05-2019 at 07:36 PM.
post #3141 of 3182 Old 12-05-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
How is The Expanse going to be presented, HD or HDR?
I don't think they have revealed this...hopefully it's in HDR10 or maybe by some miracle Dolby Vision but something tells me it's only going to be in 4K SDR...the earlier seasons are all in 4K SDR but that was when the show was originating on SyFy...hopefully now that it's an Amazon Prime original Jeff Bezos has given the show an expensive makeover and decided to display it in the best format possible- 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision
post #3142 of 3182 Old 12-05-2019, 10:07 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
I don't think they have revealed this...hopefully it's in HDR10 or maybe by some miracle Dolby Vision but something tells me it's only going to be in 4K SDR...the earlier seasons are all in 4K SDR but that was when the show was originating on SyFy...hopefully now that it's an Amazon Prime original Jeff Bezos has given the show an expensive makeover and decided to display it in the best format possible- 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision
One can only hope.
gwsat likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3143 of 3182 Old 12-05-2019, 10:18 PM

From the HOTP thread if any of you missed it...

TV/Critic's Notes (Streaming)
Now’s the Time to Make The Expanse Your New Epic Obsession
By Alicia Lutes, Vulture.com (New York Magazine) - Dec. 3, 2019

It’s easy to say something is “the next Game of Thrones.” Throw a politically minded premise filled with deception and power grabs into a genre framework and someone somewhere is going to try to dub it the successor to the HBO epic’s throne. But few of these series actually have the combination of plotting, casting, production value, devious machinations, twists, and world-building necessary to deliver on such a high promise (regardless of your thoughts on that final season). But having devoted much of my professional life to covering Thrones, I can say with confidence there is one show among the many claiming this title that actually lives up to it: The Expanse. The former Syfy series, recently moved to Amazon Prime Video, is extremely well-positioned to be your next epic obsession; so much so that I feel comfortable dubbing it the next Game of Thrones … in Space!

Set hundreds of years in the future, The Expanse establishes a world where humans have populated many parts of the solar system, leaving our planet a mere outpost, with Mars and the Asteroid Belt being the other primary locales for human life, work, and advancement. Instead of the great houses of Westeros and beyond, The Expanse offers three factions of the human race, which has evolved and adapted to their new homes dotting the solar system. With a tenuously threaded peacetime agreement between the United Nations–led Earth, the military base turned military nation Mars, and the Belters, a disregarded underclass living within the Asteroid Belt who mine lithium and other necessary minerals (but see none of the profit), any little thing could set off an intergalactic war among the human race. Who’s right, who’s wrong? It’s not at all as simple as that — and that’s before the threat of a mysterious extraterrestrial “protomolecule” shows up.

With humanity spread out among the stars and dependent on technology, a caste system, and the unknown elements of outer space, it’s no surprise that things get messy fast — especially once a missing rich girl enters the picture. But the mystery at the series’ center gets so much bigger than you could imagine, unless you’ve read the James S.A. Corey novels on which the series is based. To say much more would spoil something you don’t want spoiled. (Thankfully, with eight books already in the can and more to come at a quicker–than–George R.R. Martin pace, The Expanse outpacing its source material doesn’t seem like a concern here. Plus, the men behind the pen name, Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, have been extensively involved in writing and producing the show.)

It’s worth acknowledging here that early moments of the series, featuring glimpses of Thomas Jane floating around in a fedora and Flock of Seagulls hairdo, could make it seem like The Expanse is destined for an early demise, but stick with it. The slow burn of the mystery combined with the expansion of the political, human, and scientific elements helps elevate the series to the realm of must-watch epic, one where the human squabbles are merely a distraction from a larger, more existential threat (sound familiar?). What starts out as a little show about police detective Joe Miller (played by Jane) looking for a missing woman named Julie Mao (Florence Faivre) quickly spirals out in many directions, introducing us to a badass leader of the United Nations–run Earth in Chrisjen Avasarala (Shohreh Aghdashloo) and the team aboard the ice-hauler spaceship the Canterbury, helmed by Steven Strait’s James Holden.

The Thrones comparisons carry over to The Expanse’s cast, which is quite, ahem, expansive itself. With actors like Cas Anvar, Dominique Tipper, Wes Chatham, and later Frankie Adams spread out across the galaxy, and joined by impressive guest stars like Jared Harris, David Strathairn, Terry Chen, and more, there are no slouches here, and every character feels fully realized. And the series needs that in order to pull off what could otherwise seem confusing or borderline offensive, such as the patois-heavy Belter language, an amalgamation of many of planet Earth’s dialects and accents, spoken by people of many different races. But that, like the hard science the series commits to with to fascinating effect, is deeply entrenched, considered, and overseen by experts, like linguist Nick Farmer and the series’ showrunner/resident physics Ph.D, Naren Shankar.

This leads us to the series’ biggest deviation point from Thrones, which also happens to be its greatest asset: In The Expanse, the women of color are the heroes — and almost all the women on this show are women of color. And the series doesn’t just walk the walk in its diverse casting, it talks the talk in its downright feminist underpinnings. The creators made a conscious decision to move beyond our Earthly, gendered attitudes about women to pursue stories that exist outside of that paradigm, and that, in many ways, is a game-changer. A universe where women are simply allowed to exist and not be scoffed at for their tiny lady brains allows for storytelling of a different stripe; within a universe mired in sociopolitical scandal, interpersonal drama, intergalactic intrigue, and a very timely refugee crises, women are allowed to run things (like Earth!), or to **** up and be selfish, or anything in between.

The Expanse being scooped up by Amazon after season three was arguably a best-case scenario for all involved: The show was a lot for a little network like Syfy to take on, making the challenge of building its audience that much harder. And as a show that heavily features space travel, new life-forms, and extremely cool spaceships, it lives and dies by the seamless believability of its CGI effects — just like Game of Thrones and its dragons — which The Expanse’s production house, Alcon Television Group, has handled quite capably throughout its run (especially for being on a network like Syfy, which has been home to some series with decidedly less-than-cinematic effects). But the third-season finale set the stage for season four to be even more VFX-heavy than its previous iterations, and based on the episodes I’ve seen thus far, moving into the house that Jeff Bezos built has allowed The Expanse to elevate something that was already impressively done.

With those episodes on the horizon, and three seasons of the show just sitting there ready for new viewers’ bingesumption, it feels like The Expanse is now primed for exactly the sort of delayed catch-on we’ve previously seen with series like Game of Thrones or even Breaking Bad — especially since Amazon has already ordered another season after this one, so you know you won’t get your heart broken. Those first few seasons unfold a thrilling, science-filled journey into space with a huge, huge mystery that may be far more than humans, of Earth or otherwise, could’ve ever bargained for, and you’ll be all but salivating for more by the time season four drops on December 13.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/12/the-...azon-syfy.html
lax01 and Chuck Ebby like this.
post #3144 of 3182 Old 12-07-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1047
Quote:
Update: Just pulled the trigger on that 65" LG C9 TV. Couldn't wait any longer. It was haunting me. Bought it through an ebay Marketplace seller & saved $100, so not an "authorized" dealer. But the seller had a 100% positive rating, so that gives me a degree of comfort. LG's manufacturer warranty is still in effect.
Good call, the LG OLEDs are the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Replaced my plasma with a B7 a couple years ago and am still amazed at how good it looks in 4K HDR. Black scenes are even better than with my old Panny plasma. Super good for games with my Xbox One X too.

The only issue I've had with mine is a Dolby center channel sound loss every once in a blue moon when skipping around shows on my Tivo. Have to power reset the LG for that, but it's rare.
archiguy, allargon and PannyMann like this.
post #3145 of 3182 Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
Good call, the LG OLEDs are the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Replaced my plasma with a B7 a couple years ago and am still amazed at how good it looks in 4K HDR. Black scenes are even better than with my old Panny plasma. Super good for games with my Xbox One X too.

The only issue I've had with mine is a Dolby center channel sound loss every once in a blue moon when skipping around shows on my Tivo. Have to power reset the LG for that, but it's rare.
I have a C7 and am still very happy with it as well...even in 2017 they were so forward thinking as far as the features, it has all of the HDR formats (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG) except for HDR10+ which is inferior to Dolby Vision and is not gaining much traction anyhow...has the Technicolor Picture Modes etc...even the newer 2018 and 2019 models are not that much of an improvement- peak brightness is pretty much the same...they've really only added eARC support and made some gaming improvements but I don't use my TV for gaming (I have a dedicated PC + gaming monitor)

LG also has the best OS (webOS), continues to support older models such as the 2017 displays with firmware updates and features (such as adding Disney+) and their pricing is also excellent...all in all LG is the best overall high end OLED (Sony has better processing but even if you think Sony is #1 and LG is at worst #2 you get unmatched value with LG)
post #3146 of 3182 Old 12-07-2019, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
I have a C7 and am still very happy with it as well...even in 2017 they were so forward thinking as far as the features, it has all of the HDR formats (Dolby Vision, HDR10, HLG) except for HDR10+ which is inferior to Dolby Vision and is not gaining much traction anyhow...has the Technicolor Picture Modes etc...even the newer 2018 and 2019 models are not that much of an improvement- peak brightness is pretty much the same...they've really only added eARC support and made some gaming improvements but I don't use my TV for gaming (I have a dedicated PC + gaming monitor)

LG also has the best OS (webOS), continues to support older models such as the 2017 displays with firmware updates and features (such as adding Disney+) and their pricing is also excellent...all in all LG is the best overall high end OLED (Sony has better processing but even if you think Sony is #1 and LG is at worst #2 you get unmatched value with LG)
The value proposition is/was the precise driver behind my decision to purchase my 65B7. I'm betting that the only way to detect the difference between the LG and a Sony OLED would be to have them both sitting side by side in my living room. Even then, I'm thinking the difference in a few scenes would be subtle. NOT enough to drop another grand and end up with the same panel.

During the last two years the absolute best show I've watched in terms of eye candy inducing picture quality has been the Netflix Altered Carbon series. When someone comes over and wants to see what OLED and DV is all about, I run a few AC scenes and watch their faces as my 7.1 system backs up the tremendous PQ with comparable ear candy.

I hope that this iteration of The Expanse at least achieves that same level of spectacular picture quality.

CAN'T WAIT !!
archiguy and TitusTroy like this.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #3147 of 3182 Old 12-07-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PannyMann View Post
The value proposition is/was the precise driver behind my decision to purchase my 65B7. I'm betting that the only way to detect the difference between the LG and a Sony OLED would be to have them both sitting side by side in my living room. Even then, I'm thinking the difference in a few scenes would be subtle. NOT enough to drop another grand and end up with the same panel.
That was my feeling too. I could have dropped another grand to get slightly better processing on unconverted 1080p content in the Sony A9G, but truth is, I probably wouldn't even be able to notice it. LG makes their panels anyway -- same ones as in the LG models.

You know you really should change your AVS handle now, right? May I humbly suggest: "LugMann".
aaronwt likes this.
post #3148 of 3182 Old 12-07-2019, 10:12 AM

the absolute best consumer display hands down no brainer is the Panasonic GZ2000 OLED...only problem is that it's not sold in the USA
gwsat likes this.
post #3149 of 3182 Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 193
Quote:
That was my feeling too. I could have dropped another grand to get slightly better processing on unconverted 1080p content in the Sony A9G, but truth is, I probably wouldn't even be able to notice it. LG makes their panels anyway -- same ones as in the LG models.

You know you really should change your AVS handle now, right? May I humbly suggest: "LugMann".
Yes my Panny Plasma is no more. After ten years it started to spontaneously shut itself down.
Now LGMann, LuGMann doesn't quite have that double entendre catch to it.

Hmm, accepting suggestions but that ones not quite working for me my Dude.

I SO much appreciate your concern however. I think everyone deserves an appropriate screen name.
archiguy likes this.

I think, therefore I am single.
post #3150 of 3182 Old 12-10-2019, 02:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Another great article on the Expanse: How The Expanse Defines & Transcends Science Fiction Genre.
aaronwt, ss9001 and dnoonie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Amazon , conspiracy , hugo award , solar system , space

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page