'The Expanse' on Syfy & Amazon Prime - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2522Likes

post #61 of 3149 Old 12-15-2015, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7230 Post(s)
Liked: 16437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Same here, as I recall it was in the marketplace or something, I think it was on a base/colony on Ceres?

I'll probably watch it again tonight with the airing of the second episode.
I definitely need to give it a rewatch too.

Advertisement

post #62 of 3149 Old 12-15-2015, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
IMO, not even close to BSG. I'd put them in the same league as Firefly or late Babylon 5. ...and that bird. ...ugh. As a consolation; the practical sets, costuming and props seemed very good.

ON EDIT: It could be I'm just noticed the things that bothered me more that the things that didn't.

I watched the 1st episode on Vudu HDX, the FX IMO were quite good. I would say for sure BSG level. I haven't watched the DVR recording yet to see if there is any drop in quality.

Sent from nowhere
post #63 of 3149 Old 12-15-2015, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
I watched the 1st episode on Vudu HDX, the FX IMO were quite good. I would say for sure BSG level. I haven't watched the DVR recording yet to see if there is any drop in quality.

Sent from nowhere
I'd be interested to hear how the DVR (what service?) compares to Vudu HDX. I consider Vudu better no competition especially with SyFy (which looked worse to me than most other channels) but that was with an older DVR and it's been 2 years since I've unplugged.

The bird. I too thought the bird didn't look real but, I thought it likely that it wasn't supposed to be a real bird but a toy or marketing gimmick for one of the vendors in the bazaar.

Cheers,

OPPO UDP-205, LG OLED65C8, OPPO BDP-93, Pioneer Kuro Pro-150FD, Dynaudio 2x BM-12a Mk III Mains, 2x BM 6a Mk II surround, 2x BM 14s Subs, Allan and Heath MixWizard, room is 11'7"x 16'6"x 8" dedicated and treated. Tripp-Lite UPSs/power conditioners (because my power isn't as clean as it used to be)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 3149 Old 12-15-2015, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 74
What a great story line. The books were good so there maybe hope for this series. Decent FX, but the story is what makes for a great series and if these follow the books, it should be a hit.
cel4145, cardoski and dnoonie like this.

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
post #65 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked: 4924
Liking what I see so far, dense environments and lots of detail. However, it's probably doomed to the garbage pile due to some minor issues with those mag boots and the particular power source they use it's like some kind of fantasy or something. It also had a lot of agenda like Elysium with some classes being better than others. Not really 5/7.
post #66 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
It seems to be rooted, at least, in hard science. What I'm wondering is how they get artificial gravity in the spaceships if they don't rotate to create centrifugal force...? The freighters and ice-mining ships don't. Don't know if they explained it or if it's just magic mcguffin gravity, as in so many space operas. Note: I haven't watched ep 2 yet.
post #67 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 11:31 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4450 Post(s)
Liked: 3377
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnoonie View Post
The bird. I too thought the bird didn't look real but, I thought it likely that it wasn't supposed to be a real bird but a toy or marketing gimmick for one of the vendors in the bazaar.
I rewatched the first episode before the second last night. I'm pretty sure it was a real bird. However, it moved oddly due to flying in low gravity.

I thought all the FX were fantastic, personally.
Flambe likes this.

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #68 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
It seems to be rooted, at least, in hard science. What I'm wondering is how they get artificial gravity in the spaceships if they don't rotate to create centrifugal force...? The freighters and ice-mining ships don't. Don't know if they explained it or if it's just magic mcguffin gravity, as in so many space operas. Note: I haven't watched ep 2 yet.
I wouldn't necessarily call it "hard science." Although it certainly makes more of an effort than most space operas, it still takes a bunch of shortcuts. The way the little shuttlecraft was zipping around to dodge the torpedoes (and later the ship debris) was pure Star Wars with no basis in zero gravity physics.

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whoever they may be.
post #69 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4070 Post(s)
Liked: 3792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I rewatched the first episode before the second last night. I'm pretty sure it was a real bird. However, it moved oddly due to flying in low gravity.

I thought all the FX were fantastic, personally.
That's a good thought, I hadn't thought of the low gravity.

I also think the FX are excellent as well, surprisingly so, maybe this is one Syfy show where there's some real money being spent.

I trying to resist watching the next 2 episodes via OnDemand as then there won't be a new one for me to watch for almost 3 weeks.
post #70 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
I wouldn't necessarily call it "hard science." Although it certainly makes more of an effort than most space operas, it still takes a bunch of shortcuts. The way the little shuttlecraft was zipping around to dodge the torpedoes (and later the ship debris) was pure Star Wars with no basis in zero gravity physics.
Josh Z,

It's pretty simple applied science also known by scriptwriters as, "pulling it out of my a$$". It goes like this if I recall correctly, if they can fire "torpedoes" from a long range ship, the other can ship can dodge them causing them to instead blow up the freighter containing Ice.
post #71 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
It's pretty simple applied science also known by scriptwriters as, "pulling it out of my a$$". It goes like this if I recall correctly, if they can fire "torpedoes" from a long range ship, the other can ship can dodge them causing them to instead blow up the freighter containing Ice.
The torpedoes were always aimed at the freighter. The shuttle just assumed they were aimed at it.

Regardless, my point was about the way the shuttle flew around, ducking and dodging behind that asteroid. That ship didn't move anything like an object in zero gravity would.
Turrican4D and dnoonie like this.

Josh Z

post #72 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 03:09 PM

Relevant.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/16/too-much-tv

Quote:
If you feel like there’s an overwhelming number of TV series options, there’s a very good reason for that.
FX has calculated that in 2015 networks and streaming services had a record 409 dramas, comedies and limited series — and that’s not even including unscripted shows or TV movies. Digging into the data, the number of scripted series this year was up 9 percent over 2014, and has doubled since 2009 — while network ratings have, on average, declined.
“The unprecedented increase in the number of scripted series has reached a new milestone in 2015 with a record 409, nearly doubling the total in just the past six years,” said Julie Piepenkotter, executive vice president of research for FX Networks. “This was the third consecutive year that scripted series count has grown across each distribution platform – broadcast, basic and pay cable, streaming — led by significant gains in basic cable and digital services. This statistic is staggering and almost unimaginable from where they were a decade ago.”
If you assume each show is 13 hours (which is really conservative given that many hour-long broadcast dramas have 22-episode seasons), that would mean there were 5,317 hours of potential scripted TV to watch this year.

post #73 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 03:18 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 6300 Post(s)
Liked: 6961
^^^ There's never been a better time to be a young, pretty actor in Hollywood. Talk about virtually unlimited opportunities!

Of course, like any bubble, one would expect this one to pop at some point and all those folks will go back to waiting tables.
post #74 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 03:32 PM

Quote:
^^^ There's never been a better time to be a young, pretty actor in Hollywood. Talk about virtually unlimited opportunities!

Of course, like any bubble, one would expect this one to pop at some point and all those folks will go back to waiting tables.
At best we can hope the reality bubble bursts and documentaries come into fashion to help fix some dumb people. That's as likely as a sci-fi show that everybody likes though.
post #75 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Quote:
The same technology the U.S.S. (NCC-1701) Enterprise uses; everyone seems to gladly accept it, though.

Last edited by rezzy; 12-16-2015 at 05:06 PM.
post #76 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 999
I'm willing to accept magnetic boots plus something floating in the air nearby as sufficient shorthand to indicate a zero gravity environment, instead of downgrading a show for not spending its whole budget on wire work.

I'm also willing to accept a bird that's learned to adapt to a low-gravity environment, and occasional effects like a curving stream of water to indicate a rotating environment.

It's easy to write that Belters are all tall and skinny in a book. Harder to cast a show that way. Compromises must be made. This show's compromises are unusually clever and astute (more than one physiological adaptation to a life in low gravity).

IMO, after watching three episodes, The Expanse has hooked me with its fast-moving, complex storytelling rife with twists and surprises (even for a reader of the series), its exceptional visuals (full of incredible detail that encourages repeated viewing), good-to-excellent acting (jury's still out on that one, but no performance has yet taken me out of the story), and full engagement of my sense of wonder.

Perhaps best of all, it treats its audience as if they are intelligent adults. This may spell its doom, but IMO it deserves all the support we can muster.

Last edited by rdclark; 12-16-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #77 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
I'm willing to accept magnetic boots plus something floating in the air nearby as sufficient shorthand to indicate a zero gravity environment, instead of downgrading a show for not spending its whole budget on wire work.

I'm also willing to accept a bird that's learned to adapt to a low-gravity environment, and occasional effects like a curving stream of water to indicate a rotating environment.

It's easy to write that Belters are all tall and skinny in a book. Harder to cast a show that way. Compromises must be made.

IMO, after watching three episodes, The Expanse has hooked me with its fast-moving, complex storytelling rife with twists and surprises (even for a reader of the series), its exceptional visuals (full of incredible detail that encourages repeated viewing), good-to-excellent acting (jury's still out on that one, but no performance has yet taken me out of the story), and full engagement of my sense of wonder.

Perhaps best of all, it treats its audience as if they are intelligent adults. This may spell its doom, but IMO it deserves all the support we can muster.

This is the hate thread, please keep enjoyment to yourself. 😊

FWIW I agree totally with your post.
Don S, Stereodude and Ph8te like this.
post #78 of 3149 Old 12-16-2015, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6626 Post(s)
Liked: 6440
Really am enjoying this show. Not sure if I'll be able to hold off and not watch episodes 3 and 4 however.

Sent from nowhere
post #79 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
I watched all four episodes, that's out on the interweb. I agree it looks promising. Episode 4 is even more reminiscent of BSG's SFX style and sound design as well.
Spoiler!

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #80 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Really am enjoying this show. Not sure if I'll be able to hold off and not watch episodes 3 and 4 however.

Sent from nowhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
I watched all four episodes, that's out on the interweb. I agree it looks promising. Episode 4 is even more reminiscent of BSG's SFX style and sound design as well.
Spoiler!
Spoiler!
post #81 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I thought I'd look here to see what people are saying about the show. My wife & I started watching it - twice. We both thought it was slow moving & gave up after about 10 minutes. We thought we'd try again the next day with a fresh start but still thought slow moving. She said if the pilot is not engaging enough to hold her interest then the rest of it probably will not be either. Since the comments here are positive I guess we'll continue & see how it progresses.
post #82 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post
I thought I'd look here to see what people are saying about the show. My wife & I started watching it - twice. We both thought it was slow moving & gave up after about 10 minutes. We thought we'd try again the next day with a fresh start but still thought slow moving. She said if the pilot is not engaging enough to hold her interest then the rest of it probably will not be either. Since the comments here are positive I guess we'll continue & see how it progresses.
I remember Breaking Bad taking an entire season to get good. The Expanse did take a minute to get moving however. First 3 are like a road map of sorts and then the gears start moving.
post #83 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
In the books the ships are stacked like buildings turned on their sides and they create gravity through constant acceleration.

David Forbes

My theater
post #84 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
In the books the ships are stacked like buildings turned on their sides and they create gravity through constant acceleration.
They hint at that in the show but don't explain it outright. Whenever a ship loses forward thrust the crew either activates their gravity boots or free-floats. So, after watching E2, I had to watch E3&E4. My quibbles about the VFX aside; It's a very good show.

post #85 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Last show spent lots of time following a crew repairing their vessel and budgeting oxygen. Not especially exciting plot-wise, but it's great to have a series that can go into details because it's long enough. Not helter-skelter like a 90-minute movie has to. Also, so far at least, they're avoiding disjointed logic, like the zombie-fest in "The Returned" from France on Sundance, or winged devil-figures in space ships (Clarke's "Childhood's End."} Thought SyFy's "The Magicians" is a clever twist in itself. And amazed at tuning in the network regularly now, while previously avoiding all earlier shows.

Spoiler!
-- John

Last edited by John Mason; 12-17-2015 at 08:20 AM.
post #86 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 08:29 AM

Spoiler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post

Spoiler!
-- John
post #87 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
They hint at that in the show but don't explain it outright. Whenever a ship loses forward thrust the crew either activates their gravity boots or free-floats. So, after watching E2, I had to watch E3&E4. My quibbles about the VFX aside; It's a very good show.
Also they seem to be, at least on ships, always in between gravity. Heel clicking fools.
post #88 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
Agreed! I'm all in; the only bad part is now I'm all "caught up" for the next month.

Yamaha RX-A2050 AVR [v1.81], LG 65EF9500 4K OLED [v4.26.00]
5.0.2 set-up: (4) Polk Monitor 10B's, (2) Polk Monitor 4's, Polk CS300 center
B&O TX2 Turntable, Nakamichi Cassette Deck 1
Pioneer CLD-99 LD, Panasonic DMP-UB900 UHD [v1.80]

Last edited by Stanton; 12-17-2015 at 09:08 AM.
post #89 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Wow what a great series. I've watched all 4 episodes available (2 from my TV and episodes 3 & 4 online) and I'm very impressed and intrigued. Folks are right, things really pick up after an episode or two. The ship's escape from the docking bay at the end of Episode 4 was awesome. Can't wait for more. This show is now at the top of my watchlist alongside stuff like GoT and Black Sails.
darthrsg and cardoski like this.
post #90 of 3149 Old 12-17-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
Wow what a great series. I've watched all 4 episodes available (2 from my TV and episodes 3 & 4 online) and I'm very impressed and intrigued. Folks are right, things really pick up after an episode or two. The ship's escape from the docking bay at the end of Episode 4 was awesome. Can't wait for more. This show is now at the top of my watchlist alongside stuff like GoT and Black Sails.
Yeah and none of it would make any sense without the prior groundwork that was laid out which for some reason is frowned upon by so many. Black Sails BTW is so awesome, can't wait the next round.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Tags
Amazon , conspiracy , hugo award , solar system , space

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page