Bosch on Amazon Streaming - Page 11 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

post #301 of 417 Old 04-15-2018, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary McCoy View Post
Just finished it over two days. Another good season for another good series. I watched in vanilla UHD.
Yeah, I got through the current season in a couple of days too. The HDR treatment on the show is excellent. It shines in scenes filmed in low sunlight, "Magic Time," and night scenes.
John_D likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 417 Old 04-15-2018, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Finished the binge and was most pleased. The acting on this show is fantastic, even the side characters. Best of all is the fact that Maddy can act and her character is so well written. Nice contrast from daughters that get in the way such as Kim from 24. Curious if she will go into LE in her dad's footsteps
post #303 of 417 Old 04-15-2018, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I thoroughly enjoyed S4 in HDR and can't wait for S5. I just started the books and am enjoying them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #304 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 04:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallfly View Post
Just finished season 4. It passed by way too fast, great season. Bosch is probably my favorite Amazon series.
Same here.

There are a lot of good shows available now, but for some reason I binge watch this one the fastest. It just hits all the right notes for me I guess.
post #305 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_D View Post
I thoroughly enjoyed S4 in HDR and can't wait for S5. I just started the books and am enjoying them.
Just started this show and I really liked season one. I'm on season two now and while the HDR on season one looked fantastic on my OLED set, season two appears to not be in HDR.

Are the following seasons in HDR?
post #306 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Get prepared for a treat! Michael Connelly has long been one of my favorite thriller writers. I have read everything he his has written multiple times. Connelly is a hell of a storyteller! I am going to feel deprived until Connelly's next book comes out in October. That one, Dark Sacred Night, features a female detective, Renee Ballard, to whom Connelly introduced us last year in The Late Show. I enjoyed the Ballard character almost as much as I have enjoyed Harry Bosch.
John_D likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #307 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
Just started this show and I really liked season one. I'm on season two now and while the HDR on season one looked fantastic on my OLED set, season two appears to not be in HDR.

I'm pretty sure S3 is and I know S4 is.
post #308 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:

I can confirm that Seasons 3 and 4 are indeed in UHD HDR quality. Have no personal recollection about Seasons 1 and 2 but can confirm that the Amazon Prime site claims they are in UHD HDR quality too.

post #309 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Did anyone feel like season 4 flew by? I sit down and started watching and before I knew it the first episode was done and then the second , all the way to the end.
This has my vote for the best season so far.

post #310 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyBee View Post
Finished the binge and was most pleased. The acting on this show is fantastic, even the side characters. Best of all is the fact that Maddy can act and her character is so well written. Nice contrast from daughters that get in the way such as Kim from 24. Curious if she will go into LE in her dad's footsteps
Heh! When Maddy went off walking I thought to myself, "If she encounters a mountain lion like Kim on 24, I'm gonna kill the writers."*
Her character arc like many, is so well done.
Love the chief in the TV series; not the same guy as in the books. A nice improvement.
Absolutely, this was the best season.

* Note to NSA & FBI, this is simply a figure of speech.
HairyBee likes this.
post #311 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I can confirm that Seasons 3 and 4 are indeed in UHD HDR quality. Have no personal recollection about Seasons 1 and 2 but can confirm that the Amazon Prime site claims they are in UHD HDR quality too.

Crap, you and gw are correct. Too easy to select the wrong one on Amazon's UI.

Binged half of season two in standard HD when it's actually offered in Dolby Vision.
John_D and gwsat like this.
post #312 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Love the chief in the TV series; not the same guy as in the books. A nice improvement.

Absolutely, this was the best season.
I agree that Chief Irvin Irving as depicted by the show is quite different from Connelly's original Irvin Irving. I can't decide which version I enjoy most. The show's Irving is a much more decent human being than the slippery and thoroughly untrustworthy Irving Connelly gave us but the Connelly version is endlessly engaging.

I also agree that this season of Bosch is the best yet.
John_D, Keenan, HairyBee and 1 others like this.

post #313 of 417 Old 04-16-2018, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Crap, you and gw are correct. Too easy to select the wrong one on Amazon's UI.

Binged half of season two in standard HD when it's actually offered in Dolby Vision.
I watched the 1st episode in HD and was also pissed about the Amazon UI and realized it to start with E2. I don't have a TV with Dolby Vision but the HDR looked great on my 2015 Samsung. The night time pans of the city are fantastic.
post #314 of 417 Old 04-17-2018, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

All seasons except season 2 are HDR. Season 2 is Dolby Vision. No idea why they switched into and then out of DV for one season.
But, as others have said, you might to look for the UHD versions. Kind of like the Expanse - they have a UHD versions on Amazon Prime (sadly not with HDR though), but they're not served up to you by default.

On my LG TV, the Amazon Prime Video app offered up the HDR version of the Bosch series by default.
post #315 of 417 Old 04-17-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post
All seasons except season 2 are HDR. Season 2 is Dolby Vision. No idea why they switched into and then out of DV for one season.
But, as others have said, you might to look for the UHD versions. Kind of like the Expanse - they have a UHD versions on Amazon Prime (sadly not with HDR though), but they're not served up to you by default.

On my LG TV, the Amazon Prime Video app offered up the HDR version of the Bosch series by default.
I just double checked and can confirm that Season 2 of Bosch is available in UHD HDR using HDR10, just as the other three seasons are. Have no idea about the DV variety of HDR because my TV is not DV compatible. Fortunately, though, every HDR capable display can do HDR10.

post #316 of 417 Old 04-18-2018, 04:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flambe View Post

I didn't check for the alternate version. I knew that about Amazon but forgot. Unlike Netflix, Amazon does not default to the HDR version on my LG set and Vudu offers a single menu with all available options.

Great show though, We'll start watching season 3 this weekend.
post #317 of 417 Old 04-18-2018, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1177 Post(s)
Liked: 1200
great show, one of the fastest bingeing this year I also liked that that show runners resisted the idea to include some of today's headlines...

De sagittis Hungarorum libera nos, Domine!

Attention, don't read my posts if you're a snowflake or easily offended.

The Hun
post #318 of 417 Old 04-18-2018, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehun View Post
great show, one of the fastest bingeing this year I also liked that that show runners resisted the idea to include some of today's headlines...
Indeed! It is refreshing when a show like the aging Bosch can hold its mojo so well that Season 4 is the best so far.
thehun likes this.

post #319 of 417 Old 04-18-2018, 03:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked: 675
Dealing with
Spoiler!
was long overdue, and since the 9 Dragons storyline would have been impractical I thought they put together a good substitute that neither shortchanged nor overplayed it. I'm glad the series is back in sync with the books in that regard. Now all they need is to somehow get the rights to bring Haller into play - I think enough time has passed that he wouldn't have to be played by MM - that would be asking too much.

Edit> Not sure what the spoiler rule is for streaming - I'll remove if not necessary?

Edit2> Too bad, though, that it didn't leave much room for Hoon Lee's role...
gwsat likes this.

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???

Last edited by cc_in_oh; 04-19-2018 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add spoiler
post #320 of 417 Old 04-22-2018, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Tried this new series and by the second night, I finished the first season. As posted before, the series goes by fast..It is well written, moves fast. ..Titus is an excellent choice for the lead actor..I followed him on Sons of Anarchy as an Irish gun kingpin Jimmy O'Phelan.. Next up is season 2..
TeeJay1952 likes this.

post #321 of 417 Old 04-22-2018, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Just finished the forth and to me like other people here is the best of the bunch, can't wait until season 5....the writing and the cast are just wonderful, they should use this series at film schools on how to make a series!
Leftcoastdave likes this.

LG 65EF9500 OLED
Denon AVR-S720W
Sony UBP-X800
Samsung UN55B8500XF FALD
Xfinity 4K XG1v4 DVR
post #322 of 417 Old 04-23-2018, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I agree that Chief Irvin Irving as depicted by the show is quite different from Connelly's original Irvin Irving. I can't decide which version I enjoy most. The show's Irving is a much more decent human being than the slippery and thoroughly untrustworthy Irving Connelly gave us but the Connelly version is endlessly engaging.

I also agree that this season of Bosch is the best yet.
I think a reason that the show version of Irving is written to be more decent is the choice of Lance Reddick to play the part. He was a good guy on The Wire which was his biggest role. His character seems to have a lot in common with his role on that show.
post #323 of 417 Old 04-23-2018, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I just double checked and can confirm that Season 2 of Bosch is available in UHD HDR using HDR10, just as the other three seasons are. Have no idea about the DV variety of HDR because my TV is not DV compatible. Fortunately, though, every HDR capable display can do HDR10.
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that S2 wasn't also in HDR - I just meant that out of all the seasons, S2 wasa also available in Dolby Vision. So to be clear: all seasons of Bosch are available in HDR, with season 2 also being available in DV, if your TV supports it.
gwsat likes this.
post #324 of 417 Old 04-23-2018, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think a reason that the show version of Irving is written to be more decent is the choice of Lance Reddick to play the part. He was a good guy on The Wire which was his biggest role. His character seems to have a lot in common with his role on that show.
He was also in Fringe (in a similar role). I never once questioned Irving's relatively positive motivations based on Reddick's portrayal alone. I wasn't aware that his character was supposed to be murkier.
post #325 of 417 Old 04-23-2018, 04:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
The only problem with shows like Bosch....

They make me wonder why I waste my time with MOST other TV shows.
I think I'll be dropping around 5 shows I watch after my binge of S4.

Books and show both very good and can support one another.
TeeJay1952 likes this.
post #326 of 417 Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Yeah, I got through the current season in a couple of days too. The HDR treatment on the show is excellent. It shines in scenes filmed in low sunlight, "Magic Time," and night scenes.
Your comments on HDR leave me at a loss, especially since I have a 940D as well. HDR usually looks great on my set. Netflix and disc are fine, but Bosch and TMITHC on Amazon Prime don't. Other HDR programing on Amazon Prime looks great.

Using the very first episode of Bosch as an example, the HDR image is seriously compromised. The problem is easy to see, elevated black levels. Watch the first few minutes in 4K HDR and then in 1080p. I was hoping Season 4 would be better, it wasn't so I watched it in 1080p. And it looked really good.

Compare the 4K HDR to the 2K. I'd love to know what you see.
post #327 of 417 Old 04-25-2018, 07:38 AM
DDD

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post
Your comments on HDR leave me at a loss, especially since I have a 940D as well. HDR usually looks great on my set. Netflix and disc are fine, but Bosch and TMITHC on Amazon Prime don't. Other HDR programing on Amazon Prime looks great.

Using the very first episode of Bosch as an example, the HDR image is seriously compromised. The problem is easy to see, elevated black levels. Watch the first few minutes in 4K HDR and then in 1080p. I was hoping Season 4 would be better, it wasn't so I watched it in 1080p. And it looked really good.

Amazon Prime on Apple TV 4K looked bad, but on my OLED TV app it looked good. Usually it's the other way around.
post #328 of 417 Old 04-25-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD View Post
Amazon Prime on Apple TV 4K looked bad, but on my OLED TV app it looked good. Usually it's the other way around.
I watched some of the UHD HDR quality episodes of this season's Bosch on the Amazon app on my Roku Premier+. I watched others on the Amazon app on my Sony 940D display. I didn't see any difference, which is to say I thought they both looked great. Go figure.

post #329 of 417 Old 04-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

I own a 930D; All programs in HDR will automatically switch my 930D setting to HDR (Netfix, Prime and DIRECTV UHD) -

This does NOT happen with Bosch (does not indicate it on Prime show description/banner either)-

I figured maybe the 930D was at fault so I manually set it to HDR .... the show looked terrible, i.e., elevated blacks/contrast like you indicated-

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this is being broadcast in HDR...UHD, yes, but not HDR

Anthem MRX-720,Outlaw 7500 5ch amp, B&K ST 202 amp
Oppo BDP-103, Sony XBR-65X930D, Rotel RP-855, Phillips BDP-7501
Paradigm Studio 100 Fronts, Martin Logan Motion LX16 rears,Martin Logan Motion 2's
Paradigm Studio cc-590 Center, Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer, DefTech Supercube 4000
Roku Ultra, DIRECTV 4K Genie HR-54 DVR, C61K-700, OPPO Sonica DAC, Amazon Fire TV
post #330 of 417 Old 04-26-2018, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked: 3136
^^^
Not all versions of Amazon apps are able to stream HDR. But all 4 seasons of Bosch are available in HDR, to be sure. I get HDR in all seasons via FireTV and via my LG TV's native app. Samsung and Vizio TVs native apps also offer HDR from Amazon.
gwsat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page