Bosch on Amazon Streaming - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 156Likes

post #61 of 439 Old 03-11-2015, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3037
Watched first 2 episodes today and am completely HOOKED.
Good writing, acting, and direction.
A winner for me....kudos to the team who put this together.

Although the actor playing Bosch doesn't exactly fit my vision of him physically (for whatever that is worth), but he is close enough.
More importantly, he totally takes on Harry's persona and I accept him as HB.

I have a question for those who do the streaming thing....
I am a newbie (this is my first time) and am currently watching it on my laptop.
Don't have a Smart TV yet, but will be buying one soon.
The PQ is fine (so far).
When I get a Smart TV will I have the same PQ?
Will there be stuttering or glitching of any type or will it be seamless feed (as it is now)?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 439 Old 03-11-2015, 06:18 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Wow thought I came late to streaming years ago! Depends on your laptop, tv and internet service. I have streamed on my computer only once or twice but its not an 1080p laptop and I don't like its audio so I rarely watch anything on my laptop (and even then I'd get out my long hdmi cable). I have poor internet service in general so hard to get the 1080p stream from Amazon (particularly lately), easier to get Netflix's. I don't use the apps in my smart tv whatsoever, my PS3 and Sony S5100 have much better streaming and choice of apps (keep in mind not all apps are created equally on all devices like tvs, bluray players, game consoles, although it seems better now than when I started a few years ago....).
post #63 of 439 Old 03-11-2015, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Hey Oink,

On the streaming question

My Sony TV has the Smart features, but I prefer external devices for streaming.

For one thing, the Sony doesn't allow picture adjustment, etc., while running the embedded streaming apps. Even just pushing the menu button forces the streaming app to close! PITA. Other TVs may allow changing settings?

You still may want to look into an external solution for viewing on your current TV, which you will enjoy way more than a laptop.

I use a PS4 and XB1, but there are other devices out there that you may find are reasonably priced as a stopgap?

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 02:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 545 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Since we're talking about Bosch, the Amazon Fire TV stick has a good interface, and the PQ is good, depending on your download speed. I don't get stuttering, but my DL speed is typically about 60. $39 I think.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #65 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 10:30 AM

Great info, thanx fellas.

I'll be doing NF streams and Amazon Prime at first.
I have a lot to learn and get caught up on.

Have always been a Disc Man, but the world is changing around me.
I want 1080p and lossless.
If streaming can give me that I'll be happy.

post #66 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
It's okay Oink I'm late to the streaming game myself but so far I love it. It won't totally replace Cable/Sat for me but it's a nice supplement

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #67 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4408 Post(s)
Liked: 4076
Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
Great info, thanx fellas.

I'll be doing NF streams and Amazon Prime at first.
I have a lot to learn and get caught up on.

Have always been a Disc Man, but the world is changing around me.
I want 1080p and lossless.
If streaming can give me that I'll be happy.
You won't get Blu-ray bitrates and image/audio quality from streaming, not enough bandwidth being used and codecs still not efficient enough for that. But, you can get exceptionally good looking images, while watching Bosch via a TiVo Roamio with 1080p/24 output I had completely forgotten I was watching a streaming video, it looked as good as the best regular cable/broadcast TV has to offer, extremely sharp and detailed with excellent color balance. If you go into it looking for Blu-ray quality you're likely to be disappointed, but if you set your expectations a bit lower I think you'll find that the quality will surprise you and it will look a lot better than you had expected. And there is some content that can look absolutely outstanding, Netflix's 'Marco Polo' has some scenes(Empress Chabi sitting by the water garden, the colored beads in her hair) in it that looked as good as any Blu-ray I've seen, just spectacular.

And, there is 4K content available through streaming, it's definitely in its infancy but it's there and titles are being added all the time. I've never seen it, but those that have say it's like any other streaming video, some is just okay while other titles can look outstanding.

A large portion of the quality of your streaming experience will depend on the speed and quality of your Internet connection, if you have at least around 12-15 mbps or faster and an ISP that allows for full throughput without congestion issues it will come down to the quality of the encodes and your method of display. My comments about quality above were made from viewing on a 64" Samsung plasma via Comcast w/105 mbps DL speed.

In my opinion, streaming video has improved in quality tremendously over the last several years, and all signs point to it getting even better in the future.
post #68 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 11:36 AM

I currently have Comcast internet, DirecTV DVR, and a 1080p display.
Once formats have been chiseled in concrete, will be buying a 70-80" 4K TV sometime in the next year,

What kind of equipment and outlets would I need?

A router?
I don't want to use my current router from the Master Bedroom...it would be a pain in the butt to try to run a cable from it to the HT.

Some kind of streaming box?
What kind of inputs are required and what type of outputs do they have?

My current TV has available HDMI inputs.
Does it need ethernet input or will they work?

post #69 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Try the Fire TV stick now, to get your feet wet while you're waiting. You said you already have Prime, so it won't cost you anything beyond the $39. It plugs directly into your TV's HDMI port (or receiver if you don't want to use your TV's speakers). No wires needed. It will give you a better idea of what to expect, and experience before investing in new gear later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
post #70 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
My comments about quality above were made from viewing on a 64" Samsung plasma via Comcast w/105 mbps DL speed.
JHC! With my 3.0 mbps, I feel like I'm sitting in a cave with Raquel Welch. Pass me a leg, Tumak.
Keenan and Nayan like this.
post #71 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post
Try the Fire TV stick now, to get your feet wet while you're waiting. You said you already have Prime, so it won't cost you anything beyond the $39. It plugs directly into your TV's HDMI port (or receiver if you don't want to use your TV's speakers). No wires needed. It will give you a better idea of what to expect, and experience before investing in new gear later.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Reading the instructions, it implies all that is needed is a wall outlet and HDMI.
How does it connect to the Internet?

post #72 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 529
Quote:
Reading the instructions, it implies all that is needed is a wall outlet and HDMI.
Wi-Fi. It does not have an Ethernet port.

I think it was on sale for $19 but not any more it seems.
post #73 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
JHC! With my 3.0 mbps, I feel like I'm sitting in a cave with Raquel Welch. Pass me a leg, Tumak.
That speed was actually the result of Comcast doubling the speed a few times on existing tiers for no extra charge over the last few years and a promo that put me in the right tier at the right time.

Pro tip: At that speed you can actually see JHC!
Nayan likes this.
post #74 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post

When it was first announced but not yet shipping Prime members could pre-order for that price.
post #75 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes, but at only $39 it's still a good deal, even if only for testing out streaming. After he gets his dream set up, he can keep it for a 2nd TV, or give it away as a gift.

Not sent from a browser. Keep it to yourself though.
post #76 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 02:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Quote:

While many people have great success with Wi-Fi streaming I would really recommend trying to get a wired connection to your HT somehow, someway. If a hard wired CAT6 cable from the router/switch to the HT is a no-go then maybe a power line connection like one of these. While that particular one seems to have good reviews I don't know much about the pros and cons of utilizing your AC powerlines as Ethernet connections.

I think having a good hard-wired connection could save you from very often hard to diagnose connection issues with your streaming down the line. If you go with a Wi-Fi device like the Amazon stick at least try to get a Wi-Fi extender so that the stick needs to only go a short distance to connect. Again, I haven't used these myself so some research might be in order.

Bottom line, in my opinion, always try to get a hard-wired connection first before looking at wireless. Wi-Fi is easier, but hard wired saves you money on your liquor bill when trying to diagnose those wireless connection issues!
post #77 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 03:52 PM

As a general rule, I prefer hardwire setups.
In spite of my computer router being 10 ft. away, I still turn off the wireless feature and use a Cat. 6 cable solution.
I don't like the idea of someone nearby being able to pick up computering.

Nayan likes this.
post #78 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 03:55 PM

Keenan,

Does this TP-Link require anything other than 2 modules or is some kind of streaming device also needed?

post #79 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 04:03 PM

BTW, I power-watched thru Ep. 8 last night and my admiration for the series has increased.
I'll be finishing the last 2 episodes tonite.

Anyone knows if this has been renewed?

post #80 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1512 Post(s)
Liked: 2651
I haven't heard anything but boy I hope it get's another season!

If you're looking for a hard-wired device give a glance at a Roku. They cost a bit more but they have a couple models that can be wired, which is what I have.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #81 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Keenan,

Does this TP-Link require anything other than 2 modules or is some kind of streaming device also needed?
I've never used a setup like that, but it appears that it extends your hardwired Ethernet network by using the AC lines along with regular Ethernet cabling. One is plugged into an outlet near your router, connect an Ethernet cable from the router to the adapter, then go to the HT room and plug in the other adapter and then an Ethernet cable into it and then connect that cable to your streaming device or a Wi-Fi access point like I talk about below.

The streaming device that you plug into that adapter would need to have an Ethernet port, something like the Amazon stick would not work, the Amazon Fire box would work but it's over twice as expensive as the Stick. You could however, plug a wireless access point, something like this, into the aforementioned Powerline adapter and you would have Wi-Fi capability to use the Amazon Stick. It would effectively cut down the distance the Wi-Fi signal would have to travel, have less interference from other Wi-Fi devices/routers in the neighborhood, and in theory have a much more stable and robust connection.

Something else to consider, not all streaming devices are the same, before jumping in I would do some comparison shopping of the different devices, primarily to see what their connection capabilities are and equally important, what services(Amazon, Netflix, HBO GO, etc) they have. The service selection varies by device, find the one that has all the services, or nearly all(there is no such thing as the perfect streaming device, they all have some compromise) that ones that you want before jumping in.

It might sound like I'm being too cautious, why not just get the Amazon stick and go for it? Well, trust me, it's very easy to end up with several streaming sticks and boxes before you finally find the one that works best for you.

And one last time, I really, really recommend checking into what it would take to get a hard wire into your HT, every modern HT should have a wired Ethernet connection anyway, just my opinion of course.
post #82 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 04:47 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

If you're looking for a hard-wired device give a glance at a Roku. They cost a bit more but they have a couple models that can be wired, which is what I have.
There appears to be some question about whether or not the Roku devices can do 1080p from Amazon or not. Up until just very recently it's been my understanding that none of them do, it's only 720p encodes for Amazon. That may have changed, but I haven't seen any solid confirmation of that though.
post #83 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Wi-Fi. It does not have an Ethernet port..
ROFL. Drop out city, 'acceptable' stream behavior I guess.
post #84 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Me too...it deserves it.

Quote:
Thanx.

Quote:
I've never used a setup like that, but it appears that it extends your hardwired Ethernet network by using the AC lines along with regular Ethernet cabling. One is plugged into an outlet near your router, connect an Ethernet cable from the router to the adapter, then go to the HT room and plug in the other adapter and then an Ethernet cable into it and then connect that cable to your streaming device
That's what I gather as well.

Quote:
or a Wi-Fi access point like I talk about below.

The streaming device that you plug into that adapter would need to have an Ethernet port, something like the Amazon stick would not work, the Amazon Fire box would work but it's over twice as expensive as the Stick. You could however, plug a wireless access point, something like this, into the aforementioned Powerline adapter and you would have Wi-Fi capability to use the Amazon Stick. It would effectively cut down the distance the Wi-Fi signal would have to travel, have less interference from other Wi-Fi devices/routers in the neighborhood, and in theory have a much more stable and robust connection.

Something else to consider, not all streaming devices are the same, before jumping in I would do some comparison shopping of the different devices, primarily to see what their connection capabilities are and equally important, what services(Amazon, Netflix, HBO GO, etc) they have. The service selection varies by device, find the one that has all the services, or nearly all(there is no such thing as the perfect streaming device, they all have some compromise) that ones that you want before jumping in.
All I would be using it for is movies and shows.
No stuttering, macroblocking, or dropouts wanted.
Good surround audio is also a must.

The problem is I am soooo spoiled by BDs.

Quote:
It might sound like I'm being too cautious, why not just get the Amazon stick and go for it? Well, trust me, it's very easy to end up with several streaming sticks and boxes before you finally find the one that works best for you.
As long as I can get NF and Amazon Prime HD and surround it would work for me.
But I don't mind spending some extra $$$ for the best device available and is somewhat future-proof.

Quote:
And one last time, I really, really recommend checking into what it would take to get a hard wire into your HT, every modern HT should have a wired Ethernet connection anyway, just my opinion of course.
The deal is the house I currently live in does not have crawlspaces or an attic.
It's very tough to run an Ethernet cable from one end to the other.

Hmmm, I wonder if the standard copper cable TV built into house could be enticed to carry a signal...

post #85 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Me too...it deserves it.

Thanx.

That's what I gather as well.

All I would be using it for is movies and shows.
No stuttering, macroblocking, or dropouts wanted.
Good surround audio is also a must.

The problem is I am soooo spoiled by BDs.

As long as I can get NF and Amazon Prime HD and surround it would work for me.
But I don't mind spending some extra $$$ for the best device available and is somewhat future-proof.

The deal is the house I currently live in does not have crawlspaces or an attic.
It's very tough to run an Ethernet cable from one end to the other.

Hmmm, I wonder if the standard copper cable TV built into house could be enticed to carry a signal...
Actually, I think there is, it's called MoCA and it enables Ethernet connections over regular coax. I know even less about this technology than Powerline Ethernet but if you scroll down on this Amazon product page there seems to be a pretty good description of how it works.

After looking at the page a bit it looks pretty simple, you'd just be using your existing coax as Ethernet cabling, seems more expensive than Powerline but I didn't do any price comparisons, just plugged in the search term in the Amazon site and that's what came up.

You might want to look around in the Video Download Services & Hardware/ forum, and engage with michaeltscott as he is a very prolific poster in the forum and is very knowledge as to services and devices, in fact I think he has a closet full of streaming devices that he uses or has used at some point!

Last edited by Keenan; 03-12-2015 at 05:38 PM.
post #86 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2374 Post(s)
Liked: 3311
Quote:
Keenan,

I use 3 of the AV600 model to extend Windows Media Center to two TV's.
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4...iglink20246-20

As someone posted they'll pay for themselves in weeks with the reduction in liquor expense.

Last edited by bmcn; 03-12-2015 at 05:31 PM.
post #87 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Actually, I think there is, it's called MoCA and it enables Ethernet connections over regular coax. I know even less about this technology than Powerline Ethernet but if you scroll down on this Amazon product page there seems to be a pretty good description of how it works.

After looking at the page a bit it looks pretty simple, you'd just be using your existing coax as Ethernet cabling, seems more expensive than Powerline but I didn't do any price comparisons, just plugged in the search term in the Amazon site and that's what came up.
I'll check this out.

Quote:
You might want to look around in the Video Download Services & Hardware/ forum, and engage with michaeltscott as he is a very prolific poster in the forum and is very knowledge as to services and devices, in fact I think he has a closet full of streaming devices that he uses or has used at some point!
Will send him a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcn View Post

As someone posted they'll pay for themselves in weeks with the reduction in liquor expense.
Thanx.
God knows my bar tab is high enough as it is....

bmcn likes this.
post #88 of 439 Old 03-12-2015, 06:08 PM

Currently watching Ep. 9 while checking the thread.
Yowza!

One thing bothers me though:

Spoiler!

Sorry, it's been awhile since I read the book.

post #89 of 439 Old 03-13-2015, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 133
For those contemplating a Fire TV Stick (or Fire TV box, or Roku), might want to take a look at https://www.sling.com/devices/offers where you get a Fire TV Stick or Roku Stick FREE, or $50 off a Fire TV box or Roku box if you sign up and pay for 3 months of Sling TV.

Bob Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis
post #90 of 439 Old 03-13-2015, 12:00 PM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 4588 Post(s)
Liked: 4802
Quote:
As a general rule, I prefer hardwire setups.
In spite of my computer router being 10 ft. away, I still turn off the wireless feature and use a Cat. 6 cable solution.
I don't like the idea of someone nearby being able to pick up computering.
Won't stop the feds, they'll still be knowing what you're computering as does your service provider. You have some untrustworthy hacker type neighbors? OTOH wired connections used to be needed but seems the current wifi tech works pretty well; I do all my computering and streaming on my wifi as am pretty sure snooping in is beyond the skills of any of my neighbors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page