Supergirl on CBS, CW - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 866Likes

post #1531 of 1641 Old 01-19-2018, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 826
Boy, they really saved money on Brainiac 5’s outfit. That wig and makeup was the worst.

And Mon-El’s and Imra’s outfits were lazy too. More black leather and spandex from the generic superhero uniform store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 1641 Old 01-19-2018, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Did Brainiac 5 look more like an Andorian from Star trek? He's suppose to be green (color Hulk like green).
post #1533 of 1641 Old 01-19-2018, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Maybe they already filled their quota of green aliens with the martians. B5 looks like he just came back from Fantasy Fest in Key West.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 1641 Old 04-03-2018, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 2190
Supergirl has been renewed for another season. https://www.thewrap.com/the-cw-renew...-other-series/
aaronwt and Briguy65 like this.

post #1535 of 1641 Old 05-02-2018, 11:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked: 639
For some shows, I tend to let several episodes get recorded and then watch them back to back to back. That is how I came to watching the April 16, 2018 show (S3E14 Schott Through the Heart) tonight.

When I saw the sky writing (Surrender ...) and the flying monkeys, am I the only one that thought the episode would end with a bucket of cold water killing the evil genius?

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #1536 of 1641 Old 06-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 158
OK-Here it is. I have gotten quite fed up with entertainment shows that push a political agenda. First of all--I don't care whether you agree with the following viewpoint or not. Let's look at this week's "Supergirl". A large part of the program dwelt upon the idea that firearms are too dangerous and should be banned. I watch this show for entertainment, not to have a political bias/agenda slapped in my face. If one wants to discuss this topic, that's fine with me. But, do it on a show formatted on the premise that all sides have time to listen, and discuss various viewpoints. Many "entertainment" shows have recently started writing in political viewpoints disguised as part of the "entertainment". "Supergirl" just happens to be the most recent one I have noticed. Why can't entertainment shows just be entertainment? Anyway, this is just my viewpoint. I know many of you out there will disagree. So be it. What are the viewpoints that anybody else has concerning this topic?
phildaant likes this.
post #1537 of 1641 Old 06-06-2018, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
OK-Here it is. I have gotten quite fed up with entertainment shows that push a political agenda. First of all--I don't care whether you agree with the following viewpoint or not. Let's look at this week's "Supergirl". A large part of the program dwelt upon the idea that firearms are too dangerous and should be banned. I watch this show for entertainment, not to have a political bias/agenda slapped in my face. If one wants to discuss this topic, that's fine with me. But, do it on a show formatted on the premise that all sides have time to listen, and discuss various viewpoints. Many "entertainment" shows have recently started writing in political viewpoints disguised as part of the "entertainment". "Supergirl" just happens to be the most recent one I have noticed. Why can't entertainment shows just be entertainment? Anyway, this is just my viewpoint. I know many of you out there will disagree. So be it. What are the viewpoints that anybody else has concerning this topic?
I definitely groaned when they went on the all guns are bad sermon. It’s like watching an ABC After School special. The writing is so clumsy and hamfisted. But, if you’ve watched Supergirl before, you know that it is a liberal minded show, so you shouldn’t be surprised. Whether it’s girl power, diversity, LGBTQ representation, or now anti-gun rhetoric, its par for the course for this show.

You might not like their message, but think about shows like 24. It had Jack Bauer beating up, torturing and killing people on every episode. If you were a pacifist, you probably shouldn’t watch the show.
phildaant likes this.
post #1538 of 1641 Old 06-06-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Well, I thought it was pretty stupid. You need firepower to protect the city/planet.

Or you could arm them with golf ball shooters like on the iZombie episode. They seem to do the trick.
post #1539 of 1641 Old 06-06-2018, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Well, they did bring at least some semblance of balance by having Ms. Luther representing the, "I need a gun for protection" side of the ledger, along with her plea for mutual respect along the lines of, "we may disagree but we should be able to do it constructively and keep the dialog open", which is something worthy of promotion.

As far as their ultimate episodic solution of ridding themselves of their most potent weapons under the rationale of violence only begets further violence, well, that's not necessarily or exclusively a liberal notion. But it's a complicated question, I'll grant. For example, in the face of atrocity or extreme situations, measured violence is sometimes the only sufficient response. It's the "measured" part that's really really tricky to get right. And to keep getting right when it becomes policy.
post #1540 of 1641 Old 06-06-2018, 05:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 821 Post(s)
Liked: 540
I agree it was a stupid episode. A small secret organization devoted protecting Earth from "beings from other planets/dimensions/etc." makes the decision to go with non-lethal weapons to be part of the solution not the problem because their gun manufacturer sells a commercial version to the public. In addition, they allow agents who disagree with this policy to transfer to other agencies. Yep...this will solve the problem. I'm sure "bad guys", the public and otherworldly beings will follow their lead after hearing about the secret organizations stance.

I think I would rather see a ban on vigilantes. Sorry Mr. Incredible, but Supergirl does a lot of damage to the city on a weekly basis. Maybe the better message for the DEO would be to do away with having the ultimate weapon of destruction...Supergirl and to a lesser extent J'onn. They seem to attract a lot of equally powerful beings.

Vigilantes by definition: a member of a self-appointed group of citizens who undertake law enforcement in their community without legal authority, typically because the legal agencies are thought to be inadequate.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...eap-build.html
Epson HC3700/HC2000; Screen - 151.5" 16:9/TV or 143.5" 2.35:1/HT at a seating distance of 12-15 feet; Yamaha RXV675 for 7.4; Speakers - Infinity Primus; Subs - 3 Polk PSW10s, 1 BIC F12; Headphones - 5 JVC wireless; Sony 3D Blu-ray player/six pairs 3D glasses.
post #1541 of 1641 Old 06-19-2018, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Boy, they’re really cutting budget next season or they’re going to introduce a whole bunch of new characters.

J’onn and father are gone. Winn went to the future with Mon-El and Saturn Girl (although Brainy stayed - I guess they’re not too worried about timeline pollution). I assume Sam and Ruby won’t be around much, if at all. I actually thought Sam was going to die and Alex would adopt Ruby to fulfill her wish for a child, but I guess she wants a baby, not a teenager.

Looks like Lena Luthor will be causing more mischief next season with Miss Teschmacher at her side. What is with CatCo hiring brilliant scientists for menial jobs? Winn was the IT guy who will be revered in the future and Miss T. is some super scientist hired as an admin.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1542 of 1641 Old 06-19-2018, 05:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1831 Post(s)
Liked: 1620
Yeah, that ending was totally not predictable at all. Kara's mom says, "I'm so glad none of this dangerous stuff will be left here!" with Lena in the same shot. Yep, she's gonna keep some.

I had the same thought regarding budget cuts. Maybe CW is regretting the decision to expand its roster from 10 to 12 shows. I couldn't really tell if this was for monetary reasons or because they thought it was going to be the series finale and wanted to give the characters a semi-adequate farewell. Since Sam turned out to be the Big Bad this year, I never expected her to show up again next year, though.
post #1543 of 1641 Old 06-21-2018, 06:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
I permanently gave up on this show after the episode where they seriously tried to suggest that federal law enforcement agents responsible for fighting unknown baddies from outer space that can fire laser beams out of their eyes should stop using guns because guns are bad. Talk about strong arming a hot current topic into a silly superhero TV show just to push some idealogical political agenda.

Not too mention the nonsensical way they have ignored the existence of Superman while the world is being literally burnt and torn apart........simply because we can't have Kara needing help from a man. Pretty sure he would have liked to visit his Aunt and other Kryptonians.
post #1544 of 1641 Old 06-21-2018, 07:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1021 Post(s)
Liked: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by RafaelSmith View Post
Not too mention the nonsensical way they have ignored the existence of Superman while the world is being literally burnt and torn apart........simply because we can't have Kara needing help from a man. Pretty sure he would have liked to visit his Aunt and other Kryptonians.
Haha I thought of that too, they made a big deal of introducing Tyler Hoechlin as superman and then just wrote him out of the show.

Sony 65A1E
post #1545 of 1641 Old 06-21-2018, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Did anything in the finale make any sense at all? I found the plot impossible to follow. It just seemed to be a bunch of random things happening, unmotivated by any story logic or anything that had happened before.

Reign kills all of Supergirl's friends because Supergirl went to fight her thinking that she might possibly have to kill her? But it wasn't Supergirl who killed Reign, Sam did that. So Supergirl goes back in time to stop Sam from killing Reign... OK... only so that a bunch of smoke monsters that have never been mentioned before can come out of the Earth's core and kill Reign instead.

What??

And my favorite bit:

Supergirl: "I need to find a wormhole or whatever to go back in time."
Winn: "You can't do that. You'll be crushed to death." (Huh? Since when can Supergirl be crushed by anything?)
Supergirl: "Eh, don't worry about it."
Winn: "OK."

And that's it. She goes back in time and she's fine. Why bother writing that dialogue only to ignore it literally ten seconds later?

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #1546 of 1641 Old 06-21-2018, 07:51 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3827 Post(s)
Liked: 2877
Also, the idea that Winn would be at all useful in the future is pretty ludicrous (even by this show's standards), even if we believe that he's the smartest man alive in the 21st Century and his napkin doodle will become a hugely important technological breakthrough.

Imagine going back in time to bring Galileo to the present day, and then asking him to, say, unlock an iPhone. He may have been a super-genius in his day, but he'd have no idea at all what he's looking at. He'd be completely unable to comprehend even simple day-to-day things today.
Egan likes this.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #1547 of 1641 Old 06-21-2018, 07:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I permanently gave up on this show after the episode where they seriously tried to suggest that federal law enforcement agents responsible for fighting unknown baddies from outer space that can fire laser beams out of their eyes should stop using guns because guns are bad. Talk about strong arming a hot current topic into a silly superhero TV show just to push some idealogical political agenda.

The writing is clunky and amateurish for sure and beats you over the head with the message.

And not bringing in Superman to help out when the Earth is in danger is not just because the show can’t have a man bailing out a woman. This is the problem with all superhero shows. In Agents of SHIELD, no one thought to call in an Avenger when they knew that there was going to be an alien invasion and the imminent destruction of the planet.
post #1548 of 1641 Old 06-21-2018, 11:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1200 Post(s)
Liked: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Did anything in the finale make any sense at all? I found the plot impossible to follow. It just seemed to be a bunch of random things happening, unmotivated by any story logic or anything that had happened before.

Reign kills all of Supergirl's friends because Supergirl went to fight her thinking that she might possibly have to kill her? But it wasn't Supergirl who killed Reign, Sam did that. So Supergirl goes back in time to stop Sam from killing Reign... OK... only so that a bunch of smoke monsters that have never been mentioned before can come out of the Earth's core and kill Reign instead.

What??

And my favorite bit:

Supergirl: "I need to find a wormhole or whatever to go back in time."
Winn: "You can't do that. You'll be crushed to death." (Huh? Since when can Supergirl be crushed by anything?)
Supergirl: "Eh, don't worry about it."
Winn: "OK."

And that's it. She goes back in time and she's fine. Why bother writing that dialogue only to ignore it literally ten seconds later?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Also, the idea that Winn would be at all useful in the future is pretty ludicrous (even by this show's standards), even if we believe that he's the smartest man alive in the 21st Century and his napkin doodle will become a hugely important technological breakthrough.

Imagine going back in time to bring Galileo to the present day, and then asking him to, say, unlock an iPhone. He may have been a super-genius in his day, but he'd have no idea at all what he's looking at. He'd be completely unable to comprehend even simple day-to-day things today.
Well, when you put it THAT WAY.

There were a few moments when a lot of jargon was being bantered back 'n forth between the characters, I started thinking about these actors and if they had any idea what they were spewing. I doubt it, but they did their job in pretending like it all sounded like it made sense to them.
post #1549 of 1641 Old 06-21-2018, 12:27 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8955 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
Quote:

They referenced Superman during all the Mayhem going on and where he was.

They mentioned he saved Madagascar while everything was going on with Supergirl. I think it was actually a news report that mentioned it.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 06-21-2018 at 12:32 PM.
post #1550 of 1641 Old 06-22-2018, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They referenced Superman during all the Mayhem going on and where he was.

They mentioned he saved Madagascar while everything was going on with Supergirl. I think it was actually a news report that mentioned it.
And Olsen said something like "Go get 'em Clark!".

Husband, Scientist, Miami Dolphins Fan.
post #1551 of 1641 Old 06-22-2018, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 101
As someone mentioned in the Flash thread, this "season has been tedious" and hard to watch. I bailed for awhile and came back for the last 3 episodes and felt I missed nothing. They need to abandon the season long arcs and maybe stick to one or two parters. My opinion.
post #1552 of 1641 Old 07-17-2018, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have been behind in watching the show, been sorta watching 3 episodes a night, and I am liking season 3. I feel bad about what Sam is going through, and the actress does a nice job of showing her emotions. I skipped the last 20 comments because I haven't gotten that far as of yet, LOL. Anyway, After I'm done I'll read the comments and reply!
post #1553 of 1641 Old 07-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 304 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I'll probably be "flamed" for bringing this up. But, here goes. Why are the writers bringing up these "sexual" story arcs in the show? By that, I mean they had the arc of "Alex" and her homosexual lover. Now, in the upcoming season, they will have a transgender character.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-44915149

Why can't the story lines be about the good/bad guys and a person with super powers to rein in the bad guys? Why do they insist on these topics that have nothing to do with the storyline? These topics just take away story time from the main idea of the show.

OK-I've said it. These are just my opinions. Your opinions may not agree with mine. But, I am now done with the show.
phildaant, markmon1 and Mark12547 like this.

Last edited by Vidop; 07-22-2018 at 11:28 AM. Reason: spelling error
post #1554 of 1641 Old 07-22-2018, 12:39 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8955 Post(s)
Liked: 5732
Quote:
I'll probably be "flamed" for bringing this up. But, here goes. Why are the writers bringing up these "sexual" story arcs in the show? By that, I mean they had the arc of "Alex" and her homosexual lover. Now, in the upcoming season, they will have a transgender character.

Why can't the story lines be about the good/bad guys and a person with super powers to rein in the bad guys? Why do they insist on these topics that have nothing to do with the storyline? These topics just take away story time from the main idea of the show.

OK-I've said it. These are just my opinions. Your opinions may not agree with mine. But, I am now done with the show.
You could say that about any show. But in reality those arcs and people do occur. I have no problem with it in the storyline. Just that it could take up less of it.

Sent from my Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk
phildaant likes this.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--70TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1555 of 1641 Old 07-22-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:

???

Take the line: "Now, in the upcoming season, they will have a ********* character." and insert any descriptor you like it all comes out the same. Insert "Black", "Asian", Gay" "Handicapped", "Bi", "Downs Syndrome", "Paraplegic" and on and on. Would it make any difference? It's a show. Writers like to explore different themes. Trans is topical at the moment and why shouldn't that aspect of humanity be represented as a super hero? For me --non-issue.
Josh Z, zeuspaul, AidenL and 1 others like this.
post #1556 of 1641 Old 07-23-2018, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 1860 Post(s)
Liked: 2190
Season 4 comic-con trailer:

aaronwt likes this.

post #1557 of 1641 Old 07-24-2018, 01:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
I'll probably be "flamed" for bringing this up. But, here goes. Why are the writers bringing up these "sexual" story arcs in the show?
Berlanti is openly gay, so I'm sure he wants his demographic represented, same goes for Bryan Fuller inserting gay characters into Star Trek Discovery before he left the show.
post #1558 of 1641 Old 07-24-2018, 10:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I am guessing this is really a rhetorical question and that no reply will really satisfy you. But I’ll give you one anyway.

The bottom line is it’s about representation. If you are, or identify with, Anglo-Saxon, heterosexual characters then you are well represented. However, if you don’t fall under that umbrella, then positive examples that represent you are far and few between. Women, POCs and LGBTQ people were usually a combination of the side kicks, gangster/drug dealers/criminals, comedic relief or the butt of the joke.

It’s slowly changing. More shows and movies have strong, able female leads. Other groups are also seeing more positive representation as well.

And on the relationships side, there are more non-hetero instances that are not played as jokes, titillation or deviant.

Of course, if you don’t agree that these groups deserve representation then you will have issues with shows like Supergirl. The show runners are using their opportunity to showcase these under-represented groups.

It’s also a change in the way that shows are written these days. You are not going to find many shows that are doing stand-alone episodes. They must all have many interwoven arcs to keep you coming back for more. So now you have villains that lurk in the background weaving their webs to some secret masterplan. And you’re going to have relationships and interpersonal conflict. It would be fun to just have monster/alien of the week episodes, but would you soon tire of that formula?
sdchrgrboy, Zookster and DarenG like this.
post #1559 of 1641 Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 1475
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
I am guessing this is really a rhetorical question and that no reply will really satisfy you. But I’ll give you one anyway.

The bottom line is it’s about representation. If you are, or identify with, Anglo-Saxon, heterosexual characters then you are well represented. However, if you don’t fall under that umbrella, then positive examples that represent you are far and few between. Women, POCs and LGBTQ people were usually a combination of the side kicks, gangster/drug dealers/criminals, comedic relief or the butt of the joke.

It’s slowly changing. More shows and movies have strong, able female leads. Other groups are also seeing more positive representation as well.

And on the relationships side, there are more non-hetero instances that are not played as jokes, titillation or deviant.

Of course, if you don’t agree that these groups deserve representation then you will have issues with shows like Supergirl. The show runners are using their opportunity to showcase these under-represented groups.

It’s also a change in the way that shows are written these days. You are not going to find many shows that are doing stand-alone episodes. They must all have many interwoven arcs to keep you coming back for more. So now you have villains that lurk in the background weaving their webs to some secret masterplan. And you’re going to have relationships and interpersonal conflict. It would be fun to just have monster/alien of the week episodes, but would you soon tire of that formula?
^THIS!

To provide a very real example of why representation is important, and as it pertains specifically to this show, please read this story told in the form of a tweet storm that illustrates how representation in Supergirl may have very well saved a young girl's life. (Sorry if this has been posted here before, but I haven't followed this thread as I'm usually behind on watching the episodes via NF.)

https://twitter.com/sapphicgeek/stat...46210235518976

Here's a synopsis of the story in an article about the tweet storm: http://www.comicsbeat.com/you-need-t...out-supergirl/

But I do strongly recommend reading the original tweets; it's very moving. It's not very long and the tweets are strung together at the link, so no additional clicking around is required.
hooked01 likes this.
post #1560 of 1641 Old 07-25-2018, 05:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 636
I dont have issue with TV shows having characters that are gay or whatever but I do take issue with how they are sometimes written into the show......with the constant reminders every 5min....which IMO sorta does a disservice to those groups of people because it places the focus on the wrong thing instead of said person being a good police officer, teacher, superhero, fireman, yada yada yada.

I still think Star Trek Beyond did a good job with Sulu.......they showed him with his partner and daughter meeting up like any other couple would and did not make a big deal about.

While I did not care for the show I thought Discovery handled it properly as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page