Supergirl on CBS, CW - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 866Likes

post #1621 of 1641 Old 03-25-2019, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1552 Post(s)
Liked: 1440
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
Okay...Kara Clone hears screaming in Russian and looks up the word in a Russian to English dictionary even though she is not fluent in English. What the...???
Yeah, though it was great getting "caught up" on everything Lex had been up to regarding the doppelganger, I had to turn off my brain during certain portions of it. So Commie Supergirl never questioned why the U.S. would carry out a single targeted missile strike on a lone cabin in the woods inhabited by a poor family?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 1641 Old 03-26-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked: 2840
OK, fine, the episode had a few little things that didn't make sense, but I thought it was hugely enjoyable overall. I'm digging Jon Cryer as Lex. He's doing a good job selling the "evil genius who's always 12 steps ahead of everybody else" thing. Loved the "You're right, I need to give myself cancer!" line.

That said, the Miss Tessmacher heel turn feels like a big ret-con.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #1623 of 1641 Old 05-06-2019, 12:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked: 635
Something I kept meaning to post but never remember... back when they did the mind wipe of Alex to protect Kara... they didn't wipe other people around... just Alex because she worked for the DEO and unlike Brainiac can't compartmentalize her mind... BUT what I wondered back then is... did they tell her mother? I've seen no reference to it in the show... but I assume they didn't mindwipe mom, but even if they give her the head's up on what they did to Alex... it's gonna be weird because Alex remembers a different childhood that seems like mom wouldn't be able to navigate as easily as Kara does to keep up the cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 1641 Old 05-06-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Something I kept meaning to post but never remember... back when they did the mind wipe of Alex to protect Kara... they didn't wipe other people around... just Alex because she worked for the DEO and unlike Brainiac can't compartmentalize her mind... BUT what I wondered back then is... did they tell her mother? I've seen no reference to it in the show... but I assume they didn't mindwipe mom, but even if they give her the head's up on what they did to Alex... it's gonna be weird because Alex remembers a different childhood that seems like mom wouldn't be able to navigate as easily as Kara does to keep up the cover.
Alex didn't learn that Kara was an alien until adulthood. I'd assume her memories of their childhood would be unaffected. And the mom was covering up Kara's identity for a couple decades by that point, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep up the lie.

Josh Z

post #1625 of 1641 Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

With the understanding that one needs to temporarily shut down any higher brain functions to watch and enjoy an Arrowverse show, there's been some particularly lazy and bad writing this season.

Why does Alex even need to be kept in the dark about Supergirl being her sister anymore? The interrogation danger has passed.

Also, a couple of episodes ago, Supergirl goes into a men's prison as Supergirl, but then is somehow able to quickly, in a matter of seconds, disguise herself as Kara with business casual clothes that fit her perfectly and that happened to be lying around the library of a men's prison?

And then at the end of last night's episode, after Brainy gives a little speech about the importance of upholding the country's laws and the Constitution, two super-powered vigilantes, operating outside of any US legal systems or law enforcement, attack a Cabinet Secretary and several federal agents (who had actually already capitulated in response to Brainy's speech). Dreamer first blasts them, throwing several agents and damaging their vehicles. And then Guardian seizes a random private citizen's truck and throws it at Lockwood before even attempting to subdue him with his gadgets or his fists. Then J'onn Jones, who like Guardian is a trained superpowered fighter and could easily take a freshly superpowered inexperienced fighter like Lockwood in one-on-one combat, resorts to throwing him into a fuel truck, destroying the truck and causing a huge fireball that could kill and destroy anything within 50 feet, including the truck's driver.

I know the heroes destroy stuff and endanger people all the time trying to stop a rampaging super-villain hell-bent on destruction, but none of this seemed necessary in this instance. No one's safety or property was in any danger until Guardian and Dreamer came along.

And speaking of Dreamer, whatever happened to her first superpower — her ability to see the future? That would be an especially useful means of averting dangerous and damaging confrontations.
post #1626 of 1641 Old 05-06-2019, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Alex didn't learn that Kara was an alien until adulthood. I'd assume her memories of their childhood would be unaffected. And the mom was covering up Kara's identity for a couple decades by that point, so it shouldn't be too hard to keep up the lie.

Alex has always known Kara was an alien... always known about the powers... they even had a flashback episode several years ago showing the two of them as kids and Kara takes Alex flying.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1627 of 1641 Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMe2 View Post
Alex has always known Kara was an alien... always known about the powers... they even had a flashback episode several years ago showing the two of them as kids and Kara takes Alex flying.
Hmm, I guess I'd forgotten that. I thought Alex didn't find out about Kara until she made her debut as Supergirl and saved the plane Alex was on.

Josh Z

post #1628 of 1641 Old 05-06-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
And speaking of Dreamer, whatever happened to her first superpower — her ability to see the future? That would be an especially useful means of averting dangerous and damaging confrontations.
The writers of this show don't seem to have any idea what they want Dreamer to be, other than a token political symbol. She seems to get new powers every episode. At first, the sum total of her ability was to have prophetic dreams. Then, from out of nowhere, she has super-strength and can throw laser spirals. As if any of these things are at all related.

Although I still generally think this season is a rebound from the last one, and I like both the Agent Liberty and Lex Luthor storylines, Dreamer is an incredibly lame character and the episode devoted to her last week was probably the worst the show has ever had.
aaronwt likes this.

Josh Z

post #1629 of 1641 Old 05-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
With the understanding that one needs to temporarily shut down any higher brain functions to watch and enjoy an Arrowverse show, there's been some particularly lazy and bad writing this season.

Also, a couple of episodes ago, Supergirl goes into a men's prison as Supergirl, but then is somehow able to quickly, in a matter of seconds, disguise herself as Kara with business casual clothes that fit her perfectly and that happened to be lying around the library of a men's prison?
It is know in the comics that Superman, and therefore I bet Supergirl, it shows Clark Kent keeping his daily clothes in a compressed form inside a pocket of his Superman suit's cape. Not unlike Flash keeping his suit in his ring.
aaronwt and Zookster like this.
post #1630 of 1641 Old 05-06-2019, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
The writers of this show don't seem to have any idea what they want Dreamer to be, other than a token political symbol. She seems to get new powers every episode. At first, the sum total of her ability was to have prophetic dreams. Then, from out of nowhere, she has super-strength and can throw laser spirals. As if any of these things are at all related.

Although I still generally think this season is a rebound from the last one, and I like both the Agent Liberty and Lex Luthor storylines, Dreamer is an incredibly lame character and the episode devoted to her last week was probably the worst the show has ever had.
I agree that this season's main story lines are much better than last season, which focused too narrowly on Reign and got into obscure Kryptonian mythologies that never made any sense to me.

I actually don't have a problem with the evolution of Dreamer's powers. Brainy knows what she can do in the future and has worked with her extensively to develop her powers. And of course it makes for much better TV to have her on the front lines fighting than sitting at her desk at Catco having visions. But in the span of four to five episodes, the show seems to have retconned her character by completely dropping her signature namesake ability of dreaming (about the future). They should've at least figured out some way to incorporate both aspects.

Given how pretty much everything this season has served as some kind of political analogy pertaining to the oppression of people who are different, Dreamer's role in all this (as a coming-out half-alien/half-human trans woman) fits in well with the story arcs.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1631 of 1641 Old 05-07-2019, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 158
I thought that ~1/3 of this week's show was a total waste. I am referring to "Alex" whining and moaning concerning the idea that she wants a baby. WHO CARES? I watch the show to observe people with super powers battle evil-not get dragged into issues that have nothing to do with the main storyline.
post #1632 of 1641 Old 05-11-2019, 01:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1827 Post(s)
Liked: 1613
Quote:
I know the heroes destroy stuff and endanger people all the time trying to stop a rampaging super-villain hell-bent on destruction, but none of this seemed necessary in this instance.
That pointless destruction was one of the main reasons Ben Lockwood started his movement: aliens like Supergirl claim to be helping humans, but they destroy a whole lot of stuff in the process. Honestly, he still has a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidop View Post
I am referring to "Alex" whining and moaning concerning the idea that she wants a baby. WHO CARES?
As someone who complained quite a bit during the season that focused on her girlfriend, I have to say I didn't really mind it. Spending 1/3 of one episode on her personal life is completely reasonable in terms of character development, as opposed to 1/3 of an entire season being spent on her relationship drama. My biggest complaint with the episode was that it was easy to predict that she wouldn't get the baby long before the actual reveal, so there was no emotional weight to it.
aaronwt likes this.
post #1633 of 1641 Old 05-11-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
My biggest complaint with the episode was that it was easy to predict that she wouldn't get the baby long before the actual reveal, so there was no emotional weight to it.

Same here. As soon as the episode showed that this was an adoption on birth, my first thought was that the mother would want the child, just as had happened to a friend of mine who was expecting to receive a baby on just the same kind of arrangement.

Now, thinking back, I have seen TV shows die when one of the main characters had a baby. I hope this doesn't mean that the writers are running out of ideas and think they can stretch the show by another season by having stories involving the baby.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!

Last edited by Mark12547; 05-11-2019 at 11:49 AM.
post #1634 of 1641 Old 05-11-2019, 01:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I think the whole "pop-up adoption" story line will prove to be a means of getting Kelly and Alex together romantically. They needed a reason for them to spend extended periods of time hanging out together and talking about relationship stuff.
post #1635 of 1641 Old 05-11-2019, 04:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Same here. As soon as the episode showed that this was an adoption on birth, my first thought was that the mother would want the child, just as had happened to a friend of mine who was expecting to receive a baby on just the same kind of arrangement.

Now, thinking back, I have seen TV shows die when one of the main characters had a baby. I hope this doesn't mean that the writers are running out of ideas and think they can stretch the show by another season by having stories involving the baby.
Honestly, Alex would not be missed if she decides to quit the DEO to raise her baby. She’s basically been neutered with Haley taking over the DEO and is not in charge. She just runs from one emergency to the other.
post #1636 of 1641 Old 05-13-2019, 10:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

It looks like some of my issues from the previous episode were addressed this week: Dreamer still has her dreaming ability (when convenient) and why J'honn doesn't restore Alex's memories (might make her go insane, though that was never mentioned when he first did it).

If that's the only fight between Supergirl and Red Daughter, I'm a little disappointed. Though I guess having RD wear a helmet during the fight was better than a bad wig on a stunt double.

I have to admit, I like Brainy 2.0. I don't know if he'll stay like this, or if he'll even stay on the show after the season, but the neurotic, socially awkward tech genius is getting to be a tired trope on this show and many others.
post #1637 of 1641 Old 05-13-2019, 01:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The scene where Brainy is disguised as Ben Lockwood was hilarious. Sam Witwer really nailed Brainy’s mannerisms.
aaronwt, HDMe2 and Zookster like this.
post #1638 of 1641 Old 05-14-2019, 11:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Of what use was the helmet that "Red Girl" wore in her battle with Super Girl? Their powers are supposedly equal. How did the helmet help? What did it do?
post #1639 of 1641 Old 05-14-2019, 11:42 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8913 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Quote:
Of what use was the helmet that "Red Girl" wore in her battle with Super Girl? Their powers are supposedly equal. How did the helmet help? What did it do?
It allowed them to use a different person in the fight scenes. So it was much cheaper and easier to film.

Sent from my Galaxy S10
Josh Z, Zookster and yobbo like this.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--45TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #1640 of 1641 Old 05-14-2019, 02:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. To save on cost. But Red Daughter seems to have an upgrade since she has those purple energy blasts now that SG doesn’t have.

Last edited by hooked01; 05-14-2019 at 02:47 PM.
post #1641 of 1641 Old 05-16-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooked01 View Post
The scene where Brainy is disguised as Ben Lockwood was hilarious. Sam Witwer really nailed Brainy’s mannerisms.

Agree. I love when shows do versions of this trope... because it lets actors show their mimicry skills. It also underscores how Sam Witwer normally plays Lockwood is how that character is... when you see how he could do it another way. I think of the TV show Fringe, and how people were critical of the actress playing one of the main characters as stiff... but that was who her character was supposed to be, not bad acting... as we saw in subsequent seasons when she got to play an alternate more emotional version of herself.

Quote:

In reality? Saves money on F/X, allows the stunt double to do the fight...

BUT... in the continuity of the show? Lex wanted to make everyone think Supergirl was bad... if anyone got footage of Supergirl fighting a doppleganger, it lends credibility to Supergirl saying that wasn't her attacking the White House... so the helmet prevents onlookers from realizing there are two Supergirls flying around.
aaronwt and Zookster like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page