Fear the Walking Dead on AMC HD - Page 77 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1495Likes

post #2281 of 2394 Old 06-04-2019, 04:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1868 Post(s)
Liked: 2198
For us, this show has become better than Walking Dead. I still see elements in there from Walking Dead (start a show a little farther in the future and then show us how they got there), but overall we like the characters better, the story line, etc.

We also loved the tie in to Rick's helicopter and the group that took him. Looks like the group in Fear have encountered the same group that took Rick due to the clues they showed.

Liked the armored covered walker/dude too. Should be an interesting season.
aaronwt and Zookster like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2282 of 2394 Old 06-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 3860 Post(s)
Liked: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Morgan was stupid. He should have put the garbage patch gal in the police cruiser trunk, rather than back seat.
Are you still talking about last season? A whole new season has started, you know.

Josh Z
Home Theater Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.
post #2283 of 2394 Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
I like how this new season jumped right into things with the plane crash and cracks forming between members of the group over the apparent futility of the mission to "save people." I'd rather none of the three new kids join the group, unless it's just temporary until they become redshirt fodder. Some interesting developments with the zombie-riot gear attired people. If the group doesn't strip any bodies of these guys for those uniforms, it will be utter stupidity -- though I guess it didn't exactly save them. lol

Good to finally see Daniel. I wonder if his absence last season was planned for story reasons or necessitated by external circumstances (other obligations, etc.).
aaronwt and cardoski like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2284 of 2394 Old 06-04-2019, 03:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Are you still talking about last season? A whole new season has started, you know.
Actually I was. It was from the preceding hour of flashback content. AMC is such a whore, and I normally skip all their "what has happened" and behind the scenes time wasters but this time I bit. Lesson learned.
post #2285 of 2394 Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Actually I was. It was from the preceding hour of flashback content. AMC is such a whore, and I normally skip all their "what has happened" and behind the scenes time wasters but this time I bit. Lesson learned.
You know, I saw a couple of things had been recorded on my DVR prior to this season premier that must have matched the filter for new episodes that did not appear to be actual episodes. Is that what you watched? I haven't taken time to look at them, but I haven't deleted them yet, either.

I thought the premier was decent enough. Will keep watching.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #2286 of 2394 Old 06-05-2019, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 1312
I no longer recall the episode title, and it's no longer in my watched shows cache. It was the hour preceding the 9:00 PM first episode of the new season. AMC just repackages these buggers with already aired content, and they show up as "NEW" content. Whatever the shows title, they will automatically record if one has set record new Fear the Walking Dead episodes.
post #2287 of 2394 Old 06-05-2019, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2871 Post(s)
Liked: 3697
Quote:
I no longer recall the episode title, and it's no longer in my watched shows cache. It was the hour preceding the 9:00 PM first episode of the new season. AMC just repackages these buggers with already aired content, and they show up as "NEW" content. Whatever the shows title, they will automatically record if one has set record new Fear the Walking Dead episodes.
Yeah, my DVR picked it up, too .. I deleted it tout suite ..

I enjoyed the opener, with Madison gone, the show has improved .. interested in seeing what they do with Dwight when he stumbles in ..
mike1812 likes this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2288 of 2394 Old 06-06-2019, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Interesting that on The Talking Dead Chris mentioned that they will not be doing any more Talking Dead for Fear until the mid season finale. Guess AMC is cutting back or the ratings were not that good.

post #2289 of 2394 Old 06-06-2019, 08:32 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8970 Post(s)
Liked: 5751
Quote:
My TiVo shows it as "Bonus Edition: #416 ".
Which was the season finale for Season 4. But I guess there must have been something extra?

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #2290 of 2394 Old 06-06-2019, 08:34 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
Interesting that on The Talking Dead Chris mentioned that they will not be doing any more Talking Dead for Fear until the mid season finale. Guess AMC is cutting back or the ratings were not that good.
I missed that. But I only watched half of the Talking Dead Episode. I don't watch every one. But they are usually interesting to me when I watched them. And I enjoyed what I watched with them talking about the Season 5 premiere.

post #2291 of 2394 Old 06-06-2019, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 236
Quote:
Like Aaron, I missed that too.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #2292 of 2394 Old 06-06-2019, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
My TiVo shows it as "Bonus Edition: #416 ".
Which was the season finale for Season 4. But I guess there must have been something extra?
Yes, I read the Tivo "info" just before I deleted it as unwatched. Apparently bonus footage added to the episode, allowing them to tag as "new". Probably a whopping 10 seconds added. I could be wrong of course, but it just seems like a ploy to get viewers to tune in to a rerun.
post #2293 of 2394 Old 06-07-2019, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1812 View Post
Yes, I read the Tivo "info" just before I deleted it as unwatched. Apparently bonus footage added to the episode, allowing them to tag as "new". Probably a whopping 10 seconds added. I could be wrong of course, but it just seems like a ploy to get viewers to tune in to a rerun.
There were some behind the scenes clips which I fast forwarded through. It was nice to be reminded how inexcusable it was that these dying folks did not drink the ethanol pouring out of the truck and puddling on the ground.
post #2294 of 2394 Old 06-08-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonyad View Post
There were some behind the scenes clips which I fast forwarded through. It was nice to be reminded how inexcusable it was that these dying folks did not drink the ethanol pouring out of the truck and puddling on the ground.

Can you drink raw ethanol? Is that possible?

Josh Z

post #2295 of 2394 Old 06-09-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Don't know, but that's exactly what they were trying to do to.
post #2296 of 2394 Old 06-09-2019, 10:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Everclear is about as close as you will get to pure ethanol, it comes in a 95%, not proof, variety. The bottle states that you should not drink it straight. But think about it, how many bottles of products have warnings that no one pays any attention to. I have had a shot of 190 proof Everclear, I lived on just fine. That said, it is dangerous.

Bobby 

post #2297 of 2394 Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 AM

Learned some interesting things about nuclear radiation this week. Apparently, when a reactor melts down, you're perfectly safe so long as you stay on the other side of the fence with the Radiation Warning sign. The radiation won't cross that boundary. Really good to know.

Josh Z

post #2298 of 2394 Old 06-10-2019, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
For us, this show has become better than Walking Dead. I still see elements in there from Walking Dead (start a show a little farther in the future and then show us how they got there), but overall we like the characters better, the story line, etc.

We also loved the tie in to Rick's helicopter and the group that took him. Looks like the group in Fear have encountered the same group that took Rick due to the clues they showed.

Liked the armored covered walker/dude too. Should be an interesting season.
I must have missed the clues and the helicopter. Was it early in the episode?
post #2299 of 2394 Old 06-10-2019, 10:50 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
Learned some interesting things about nuclear radiation this week. Apparently, when a reactor melts down, you're perfectly safe so long as you stay on the other side of the fence with the Radiation Warning sign. The radiation won't cross that boundary. Really good to know.
That had to do with the walkers. They were restricting the walkers with radiation to the side behind the signs and barriers.

post #2300 of 2394 Old 06-10-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That had to do with the walkers. They were restricting the walkers with radiation to the side behind the signs and barriers.
So, we're saying that these handful of zombies walked hundreds of miles away from the reactor, outside the radiation fallout zone?

Josh Z

post #2301 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy View Post
I must have missed the clues and the helicopter. Was it early in the episode?
Was the very end when she went back to look for clues on the walker that was impaled. It was in the notepad like thing she was flipping through.

The helicopter was in Walking Dead when they rescued Rick (in case you didn't know).

post #2302 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 08:49 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
So, we're saying that these handful of zombies walked hundreds of miles away from the reactor, outside the radiation fallout zone?
???
On the show they said it was 12 miles away from the plane crash site. Or something like that. It was very close. Not hundreds of miles away. And the plane crash site was on the edge of the contamination zone.

post #2303 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
???
On the show they said it was 12 miles away from the plane crash site. Or something like that. It was very close. Not hundreds of miles away. And the plane crash site was on the edge of the contamination zone.
So the radiation fallout from a nuclear reactor meltdown would safely stay within a 12 mile radius, even without any people or infrastructure to contain it? Good to know. I just wonder why everybody made such a big deal about Chernobyl, then.

Josh Z

post #2304 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
So the radiation fallout from a nuclear reactor meltdown would safely stay within a 12 mile radius, even without any people or infrastructure to contain it? Good to know. I just wonder why everybody made such a big deal about Chernobyl, then.
I don't think it was a full nuclear meltdown. It sounded like something happened there, but it wasn't a full blown meltdown because there were still people working there, generating power for the area, etc. So they wouldn't have been able to survive there either if it melted down. She said what it was but it wasn't a full blown meltdown, sounded more like an accident that they eventually contained and mitigated as they continued to work there but the damage was done.
aaronwt and Zookster like this.

post #2305 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 AM
UHD Addict

Quote:
It wasn't a full blown meltdown.
But even if it were it is TV. It would be just as realistic as the dead walking around.

Plus I just looked at the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission(US NRC) Website.
They list multiple Emergency Planning Zones around nuclear sites. Each one can be slightly different depending on the reactor.
But generally they list a two mile radius evacuation zone.

And then a 5 mile zone, down wind of the projected path.

And then a ten mile zone for plume exposure. Which include sheltering, evacuation, and the use of potassium iodide where appropriate.

And then an ingestion exposure zone with a 50 mile radius.
It says "..Predetermined protective action plans are in place for this EPZ and are designed to avoid or reduce dose from potential ingestion of radioactive materials. These actions include a ban of contaminated food and water."
NRC Emergency Planning Zones
WilliamR, HDMe2, Zookster and 1 others like this.

post #2306 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I don't think it was a full nuclear meltdown. It sounded like something happened there, but it wasn't a full blown meltdown because there were still people working there, generating power for the area, etc. So they wouldn't have been able to survive there either if it melted down. She said what it was but it wasn't a full blown meltdown, sounded more like an accident that they eventually contained and mitigated as they continued to work there but the damage was done.
I'm not going to watch it again, but I'm pretty sure the woman Grace said the reactor melted down.

The way the episode treated radiation poisoning like it's a disease that can only be transmitted by direct physical contact ("Don't let that zombie touch you or you'll catch its radiation!") was absurd.

It was just a dumb episode, which is very problematic considering how early in the season it is.

Josh Z

post #2307 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 11:31 AM

My memory may not be the greatest, but :: Eventually, maintaining the plant became untenable and a meltdown occurred, Grace mentioned something about the rods .. causing the deaths of almost everyone inside .. Unfortunately, the circumstance of their demise had rendered the reactor workers not just zombified, but radioactive .. Grace explained that while driving a pointy object through the skull of these particular Walkers might be tempting .. it could also expose a person to the radiation and prove just as deadly as a zombie bite in the long run ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2308 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
Grace explained that while driving a pointy object through the skull of these particular Walkers might be tempting .. it could also expose a person to the radiation and prove just as deadly as a zombie bite in the long run ..
If they were radioactive, they wouldn't need to get blood spatter on you to make you irradiated too. Radiation isn't a virus transmitted by bodily fluids.

Josh Z

post #2309 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
If they were radioactive, they wouldn't need to get blood spatter on you to make you irradiated too. Radiation isn't a virus transmitted by bodily fluids.
I don't recall any mention of splatter .. I assumed it was based on proximity .. and, yes, I know how radioactivity works ..

Uncle Willie

post #2310 of 2394 Old 06-11-2019, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1576 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
Here's the exact quote:

Quote:
Grace: There are two pressurized water reactors, 13 miles north of here. The cooling system failed in one. Reactor melted down last year, killing a lot of people trying to keep it humming, including that corpse which means his body is carrying some particularly dangerous particles, which may have gotten on … what’s your name? …

Morgan: Morgan.
So it may come down to your definition of "meltdown," which in this case could just be a generic TV term for "accident at a nuclear reactor causing radiation a leak and dispersal in the immediate vicinity." The size of the reactors, possible containment within the facility, etc., could also come into play.

EDIT: It's also worth mentioning that later Grace says that after the accident she went back into the plant for days, looking for survivors. So if it was a full-on Chernobyl-type meltdown, would it have even been possible for her to return and hope to find survivors, even with a radiation suit?

Last edited by Zookster; 06-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page