Fear the Walking Dead on AMC HD - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1611Likes

post #2311 of 2522 Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5000 Post(s)
Liked: 3992
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post
I don't recall any mention of splatter .. I assumed it was based on proximity ..
The episode repeatedly makes a big to-do about the characters not letting the radioactive zombies touch them or get fluids on them. Grace makes Morgan take a decontamination shower, but Alicia, who's standing inches away from him, is fine so long as she didn't touch the zombie. Later, Alicia has to hold a zombie at bay while it's clawing for her, but killing it is a no-no until they determine that it's not contaminated.

None of this makes any sense.

Quote:
and, yes, I know how radioactivity works ..
You may know how radioactivity works, but I don't think the writers of this show do!

Josh Z
Television and Home Theater Writer/Editor, Primetimer.com

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2522 Old 06-11-2019, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If they were radioactive, they wouldn't need to get blood spatter on you to make you irradiated too. Radiation isn't a virus transmitted by bodily fluids.

No, but there are differences among the types of emitters, and whether or not those are responsible for walker contamination. Sure, there might be some that are bad being in proximity, but others are less about proximity and more about direct contact or ingestion. Since nobody is eating walkers, you'd want to take care not to get walker on you.....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #2313 of 2522 Old 06-11-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
No, but there are differences among the types of emitters, and whether or not those are responsible for walker contamination. Sure, there might be some that are bad being in proximity, but others are less about proximity and more about direct contact or ingestion. Since nobody is eating walkers, you'd want to take care not to get walker on you.....
Do you really think that the writers of this show did any research into the different types of radiation or how a body gets contaminated?

Josh Z

My opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 2522 Old 06-11-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Do you really think that the writers of this show did any research into the different types of radiation or how a body gets contaminated?
Do you think that most of the viewers have, or care? Just sayin’, it’s a TV program about zombies....

Bobby 

post #2315 of 2522 Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Do you think that most of the viewers have, or care? Just sayin’, it’s a TV program about zombies....
It's this attitude that leads to movies like G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra, the climax of which depends on the audience being too dumb to know that ice floats in water.

Josh Z

post #2316 of 2522 Old 06-11-2019, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2068 Post(s)
Liked: 2210
As someone who has this show on a short leash after all the unbelievable nonsense toward the end of last season, so far I'm okay with the nuclear reactor "meltdown" that didn't make a 100-mile radius uninhabitable and walkers who spread radioactive particles if you get too snugly with them or covered in their bodily fluids. I also think this will be a passing "one off" issue and not the focus of the season.
post #2317 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 06:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 3075 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:

Wait, are you saying this show isn't totally based on science....???
MrEmoto likes this.

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #2318 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Wait, are you saying this show isn't totally based on science....???
I'm saying it's not based on common sense.

Josh Z

post #2319 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
I'm saying it's not based on common sense.
So, you're ok with dead people being reanimated, but playing fast and loose with methods of exposure to toxic levels of radiation is just more than you can accept? Good to know.
Jonas2 likes this.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #2320 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEmoto View Post
So, you're ok with dead people being reanimated, but playing fast and loose with methods of exposure to toxic levels of radiation is just more than you can accept? Good to know.
Why not have the characters jump up in the air and reveal that they can all fly like Superman? Anything goes. There are no rules. It's just TV. It's supposed to be stupid. Nothing matters when you set your standards so rock bottom low that you don't care about anything.

Josh Z

post #2321 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked: 4244
Shows like FTWD and WD, I simply kick back with my favorite libation and, excuse me, "Zombie Out" .. leaving most all of my logic at the door and enjoying the Story Telling if it's worth enjoying .. yes, they try and take themselves seriously, as opposed to "Z Nation", an intentional parody ..

I guess I'm just easy to please or maybe sometimes just not looking for a "Brain" show .. sometimes, it's good to give up the heavy lifting ..
aaronwt and Jonas2 like this.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Last edited by mgkdragn; 06-13-2019 at 09:17 AM.
post #2322 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 09:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Why not have the characters jump up in the air and reveal that they can all fly like Superman? Anything goes. There are no rules. It's just TV. It's supposed to be stupid. Nothing matters when you set your standards so rock bottom low that you don't care about anything.
Is flying like Superman any less absurd than re-animated dead people? Given how little most people know about radiation absorption, I can't get too worked up about it, though if I were them I would be raiding the local pharmacy for iodine pills.

Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #2323 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Is flying like Superman any less absurd than re-animated dead people? Given how little most people know about radiation absorption, I can't get too worked up about it, though if I were them I would be raiding the local pharmacy for iodine pills.
Any fantasy story needs to establish rules for the world it's set in. The premise of The Walking Dead is that zombies can exist, but otherwise it's set in a resemblance to our actual world that the audience is familiar with. Gravity holds things to the ground. Water is wet. Fire burns. The sun comes out in daytime and the moon comes out at night. These are self-evident facts that we expect the TV show to follow.

I'm not saying that everyone in the audience should be an expert in nuclear radiation, but pretty much anyone with at least a middle-school education will know that a nuclear meltdown is a very serious thing and you can't protect yourself from radiation by standing a couple feet away from it.

Considering that HBO's Chernobyl miniseries is on the air right now and getting a lot of buzz, it's kind of embarrassing for this show to introduce a radiation storyline and bungle it so badly.
HDMe2 likes this.

Josh Z

post #2324 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Any fantasy story needs to establish rules for the world it's set in. The premise of The Walking Dead is that zombies can exist, but otherwise it's set in a resemblance to our actual world that the audience is familiar with. Gravity holds things to the ground. Water is wet. Fire burns. The sun comes out in daytime and the moon comes out at night. These are self-evident facts that we expect the TV show to follow.

I'm not saying that everyone in the audience should be an expert in nuclear radiation, but pretty much anyone with at least a middle-school education will know that a nuclear meltdown is a very serious thing and you can't protect yourself from radiation by standing a couple feet away from it.

Considering that HBO's Chernobyl miniseries is on the air right now and getting a lot of buzz, it's kind of embarrassing for this show to introduce a radiation storyline and bungle it so badly.
I'll add a wrinkle by saying that we're assuming the woman with the radiation suit is being honest about what happened.

post #2325 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Isn't "radioactive zombies" a bit of a genre trope anyway?

As I commented earlier, though Grace described it as a "meltdown," for the vast majority of FTWD viewers who haven't watched a single episode of HBO's Chernobyl (not exactly GoT in terms of ratings numbers), "meltdown" is just shorthand for "nuclear accident causing big radiation leak, killing everyone inside and contaminating the immediate area." Not necessarily the catastrophic full-blown Chernobyl accident.

As an educated person who cares about science, reads the newspaper every day, watches documentaries, and is annoyed when TV shows violate their own established laws of biology and physics, I really don't have a problem with this.
post #2326 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
I'll add a wrinkle by saying that we're assuming the woman with the radiation suit is being honest about what happened.
Well, Morgan did ask her if she was telling the truth
aaronwt and MrEmoto like this.
post #2327 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 4411 Post(s)
Liked: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zookster View Post
Isn't "radioactive zombies" a bit of a genre trope anyway?

As I commented earlier, though Grace described it as a "meltdown," for the vast majority of FTWD viewers who haven't watched a single episode of HBO's Chernobyl (not exactly GoT in terms of ratings numbers), "meltdown" is just shorthand for "nuclear accident causing big radiation leak, killing everyone inside and contaminating the immediate area." Not necessarily the catastrophic full-blown Chernobyl accident.

As an educated person who cares about science, reads the newspaper every day, watches documentaries, and is annoyed when TV shows violate their own established laws of biology and physics, I really don't have a problem with this.
True, "Chernobyl" actually surpassed GoT in several rating categories.

‘Chernobyl’ Explodes ‘Game Of Thrones’ Digital Record For HBO; Miniseries Nears ‘True Detective’ Viewership
Zookster likes this.
post #2328 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Reanimation happens all the time, thanks to science. That is not the problem.
The dead in TWD or FTWD aren't even dead for long before "reanimation". Explaining dead people reanimating themselves by a virus and then being "braindead" in a sense that the person is gone, but the body/brain still intact might even be possible in the realms of physics.

But, zombies walking around endlessly, chewing, fighting for food etc.
- without any bloodflow
- with their bodies shredded in half
- without any water or nutrition for months or longer
basically without any energy input and a working body system which provides all the stuff for the muscles etc.

That's simply impossible with regards to physics. That won't work in our universe.
post #2329 of 2522 Old 06-13-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosFo View Post
Reanimation happens all the time, thanks to science. That is not the problem.
The dead in TWD or FTWD aren't even dead for long before "reanimation". Explaining dead people reanimating themselves by a virus and then being "braindead" in a sense that the person is gone, but the body/brain still intact might even be possible in the realms of physics.

But, zombies walking around endlessly, chewing, fighting for food etc.
- without any bloodflow
- with their bodies shredded in half
- without any water or nutrition for months or longer
basically without any energy input and a working body system which provides all the stuff for the muscles etc.

That's simply impossible with regards to physics. That won't work in our universe.
You forgot "Living Dead Heads .." ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #2330 of 2522 Old 06-14-2019, 04:48 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Radiated Zombies is the coolest thing since slice bread' Does not get any better.
aaronwt likes this.
post #2331 of 2522 Old 06-14-2019, 07:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
Radiated Zombies is the coolest thing since slice bread' Does not get any better.
LOL! I think it behooves them to keep coming up with new and different variations in order to keep it interesting. I think it is fun to see what the next variation is.
aaronwt likes this.

post #2332 of 2522 Old 06-14-2019, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked: 1415
Quote:
LOL! I think it behooves them to keep coming up with new and different variations in order to keep it interesting. I think it is fun to see what the next variation is.
One things for sure. They'll never match the giant wheel of Zombies.
Tack and MrEmoto like this.
post #2333 of 2522 Old 06-14-2019, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 5024 Post(s)
Liked: 6843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Hah, I forgot about Wheel 'O Zombies.

Irradiated zombies are fine, but go for irradiated Nazi zombies and we're getting into the powerband.
MrEmoto likes this.
post #2334 of 2522 Old 06-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tack View Post
Hah, I forgot about Wheel 'O Zombies.

Irradiated zombies are fine, but go for irradiated Nazi zombies and we're getting into the powerband.
Especially if they are from their secret base on the moon!

post #2335 of 2522 Old 06-15-2019, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
MrEmoto likes this.

Uncle Willie

post #2336 of 2522 Old 06-15-2019, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 667
The writers missed an easy way to mitigate some of the discussion you've been having here... we previously had the walker wearing riot gear... either a person who died with the gear on OR was intentionally dressed in riot gear to be more difficult to kill... who knows... but there's the spark of a solution to the radiation plothole.

The people working at the plant during the meltdown... they could have dressed all those walkers in radiation suits. The effect of the suit would be to protect others from the radioactive zombies... and then you have a plausible situation where to kill those walkers means puncturing the suits and exposing yourself to excess radiation... vs leaving those alone unless you were equipped to handle them.

As it stands, I agree with the conversation regarding how weird it is that you could be right next to one and be ok as long as it didn't leak on you... that makes no sense, even in a show with walking dead. That said, I was still able to otherwise get around it and enjoy the rest of the story. Shame about the new girl, though, that it means she can't be around long... was liking the idea of this group having an actual sciencey-intelligent person around.
post #2337 of 2522 Old 06-17-2019, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2158 Post(s)
Liked: 2942
Fear The Walking Dead Season 5 Debut Ratings Down From Last Year’s ‘TWD’ Crossover Opener; ‘NOS4A2’ Starts OK In Live+3

The return of Fear the Walking Dead for its fifth season on Sunday may have been the third-best cable drama premiere of the season, but compared with last year, it bit.
With 3 million total viewers in Live+3 results from Nielsen, The Walking Dead spinoff was down a hard 47% from the delayed audience numbers of the Season 4 opener, which had the much hyped The Walking Dead Season 8 finale and the disappearance of Rick Grimes as its lead-in.

Drilling down more and with a mild tease of its own about the fate of Andrew Lincoln’s character, the June 2 FearTWD “Here To Help” debut snared 1.2 million viewers in the 18-49 demographic and 1.5 million among adults 25-54.

In the law of diminishing returns in today’s ratings environment, AMC sees a small win in all this when comparing the FearTWD premiere to the overall average of the second half of Season 4. In that context, the Season 5 opener is down 6% from the Season 4 finale of September 30 last year, while it had a 4% viewership uptick in Live+3 numbers from the “People Like Us” midseason premiere of August 12, 2018.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/fear-th...e3-1202629011/
aaronwt likes this.

post #2338 of 2522 Old 06-18-2019, 04:47 AM

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Have to say the splitting of the bullet with the ax was pretty funny killing 2 walkers. Dwight's intro was decent. The kids being the ones stringing the walkers together far fetch.
post #2339 of 2522 Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson61 View Post
Have to say the splitting of the bullet with the ax was pretty funny killing 2 walkers. Dwight's intro was decent. The kids being the ones stringing the walkers together far fetch.
Yeah, the "San Antonio split" was needlessly gimmicky (and risky). Sure they only had one bullet, but with only two walkers left, John and June could have easily called them over away from Dwight and stabbed them with something pointy.

I was confused about the scene with the kids at the end: are they behind all the walker roadblocks or were they just setting one up as part of some ruse to get rid of the FTWD gang - maybe forcing them into a direct confrontation with the people wearing the anti-walker riot gear?

Regardless, last year's sequence with Charlie has completely exhausted my empathy for kids who don't want to be saved and go out of their way to attack the main FTWD gang.
post #2340 of 2522 Old 06-18-2019, 10:14 AM

The thing with splitting the bullet was dumb. At the very least, it should have knocked the axe right out of Dwight's hand. Other than that, however, this was a much better episode than last week. I like the twist with the kids being the villains.

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page