Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 1000 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13682Likes

post #29971 of 30936 Old 05-23-2019, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Nate was an idiot to not max out his 2nd daily double.
It was indeed a close call.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29972 of 30936 Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
It was indeed a close call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
Nate was an idiot to not max out his 2nd daily double.
Please use spoiler functionality here if you are gong to post something same day, when it has not even aired on the west coast yet. Please. This was so not cool.
Jon J and bobby94928 like this.

My humble little 3.1 system:
65" LG OLED
Yamaha TSR-7810
2 JBL Studio 580 Towers and a 520C center
Power Sound Audio V1500
post #29973 of 30936 Old 05-24-2019, 12:30 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8965 Post(s)
Liked: 5742
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
...and buried in all of that is the sticker on the cover that apparently reveals that Cameron also hasn't shunned 3D the way everyone seems to now when it comes to offering 4K. It seems like we always have to choose either the 4K package or the 3D package seperately for twice as much with almost no one offering an all in package deal.

I'm not a huge 3D fan, but I do have a 3D setup and occasionally enjoy it.
And don't forget about them forcing a 2K BD on us. I never use the 2K BD that is included with my UHD BD purchases. But if a 3D BD is included, then I will use it.

49TB unRAID1a--53TB unRAID2--73TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29974 of 30936 Old 05-24-2019, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And don't forget about them forcing a 2K BD on us. I never use the 2K BD that is included with my UHD BD purchases. But if a 3D BD is included, then I will use it.
Wondering if the combo packaging was foresight, knowing many 4K players would eventually fail?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #29975 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2186 Post(s)
Liked: 4090
Cancellations
‘Whiskey Cavalier’ “Fully And Finally Canceled” After Brief Review By ABC
By Nellie Andreeva May 24, 2019 3:09pmdeadline.com

It was a long shot and we stressed that a Season 2 renewal for canceled Whiskey Cavalier was unlikely but fans of the show were still holding out hope. Now it’s official — ABC will not be reversing its cancellation decision. Whiskey Cavalier creator/executive producer David Hemingson tweeted the news to fans.

“I just got the sad news that ABC Network has passed. WhiskeyCavalier has been fully and finally cancelled,” he wrote. “It’s incredibly painful to say goodbye to this show and our extraordinary cast, but knowing that we made something you enjoyed – and that I believe will stand the test of time – makes it all worthwhile.”

As we reported yesterday, ABC this week decided to take another quick look at the feasibility of renewing freshman Whiskey Cavalier, toplined by Scott Folley and Lauren Cohan. Series executive producer Bill Lawrence, who had been encouraging fans on Twitter to reach out to ABC and speak out against the cancellation, was behind the effort to get the spy series back on the network. I hear he reached out to ABC executives with some encouraging recent ratings data and they agreed to conduct a brief review.

A final decision was to be made quickly because the show’s stars Foley and Cohan have been being courted for other projects and it is costly for producer Warner Bros. TV to continue to hold onto the the drama’s expansive sets.

In one of the most dramatic developments this upfront season, ABC at the 11th hour axed Whiskey Cavalier after one short season.

While not entirely unexpected given the show’s overall ratings performance, this was still a stunning development as Whiskey Cavalier had been touted as one of ABC’s biggest new series for this season and became the network’s first scripted show to launch after the Oscars.

Since then, Whiskey Cavalier saw its ratings decline until settling into subpar 0.4 adults 18-49 rating (Live+Same Day), airing in the Wednesday 10 PM slot picked so the comedic drama could take advantage of ABC’s comedy block as a lead-in.

But following the cancellation news, this week’s finale, boosted by a strong lead-in from the live staging of All In the Family and The Jeffersons, Whiskey Cavalier drew its best Live+same day numbers since the show’s Wednesday debut, posting a 0.7 rating in adults 18-49, almost doubling its recent results, and 3.8 million viewers. The drama also is a major DVR gainer, more than doubling its Live+same delivery.

I hear the big ratings jump in the finale, which featured cliffhangers, paired with strong delayed viewing numbers for last week’s episode were a major factor in ABC brass’ decision to reconsider the show’s cancellation. Additionally, it has big stars in Scandal’s Foley and The Walking Dead’s Cohan and a seasoned team behind it in creator/exec producer David Hemingson and exec producer Bill Lawrence.

WBTV jumped into action immediately after ABC canceled Whiskey Cavalier the weekend before the upfronts, pitching the show to various platforms. It is a sleek, big-budget, globe-trotting actioner, which is important to the studio for its international sale appeal and because of the big investment the studio already has made in it.

But ABC was considered the most realistic option. While other canceled broadcast drama series, like Lucifer and Designated Survivor, wound up on Netflix, the streaming platform already had full or partial international distribution rights to those shows, which is not the case with Whiskey Cavalier. For WBTV, which relies on strong international sales for the series, having it on a broadcast network in the U.S. was considered the most advantageous scenario.

Whiskey Cavalier followed the globe trotting adventures of two very different secret agents Will Chase (Foley) and Frankie Trowbridge (Cohan). That cast also includes Ana Ortiz, Tyler James Williams and Vir Das.

Hemingson created and writes the series and serves as executive producer alongside Lawrence, Jeff Ingold and pilot director Peter Atencio. Foley is also a producer.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/whiskey...bc-1202622164/
dturturro likes this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #29976 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

TV
Hulu Orders Horror Anthology Series Based On ‘North American Lake Monsters’ Stories From Annapurna TV
By Nellie Andreeva - deadline.com - May 24, 2019

Hulu has given an eight-episode series order to a horror anthology series based on North American Lake Monsters: Stories, a collection of short stories by Nathan Ballingrud, from Preacher writer-producer Mary Laws, Under the Shadow and Wounds filmmakers Babak Anvari and Lucan Toh, and Annapurna Television.

Created by, written and executive produced by Laws, The Untitled Mary Laws Project (working title) is a contemporary horror anthology in which, through encounters with Gothic beasts, including fallen angels and werewolves, broken people are driven to desperate acts in an attempt to repair their lives, ultimately showing there is a thin line between man and beast.

Toh and Anvari executive produce with Laws. Anvari also is set to direct. Annapurna Television produces for Hulu.

North American Lake Monsters: Stories, released in 2013 by Small Beer Press, was Ballingrud’s first published book. His second, novella The Visible Filth, was adapted by Anvari and Toh into their 2019 movie Wounds, which is distributed by Annapurna Pictures.

Anvari and Toh came to prominence with the 2016 internationally co-produced Persian-language horror film Under the Shadow, written and directed by Iranian-born Anvari in his directorial debut and produced by Toh. The movie premiered at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. It was acquired by Netflix and also was selected as the British Oscar entry for Best Foreign Language Film.

Anvari and Toh’s followup horror film, Wounds, also written and directed by Anvari and produced by Toh, premiered at this year’s Sundance Film Festival. It stars Armie Hammer and Dakota Johnson.

Anvari and Toh and their Two & Two Pictures recently signed a first-look deal with AMC for television projects. Anvari also is developing projects with Black Bear and Film4.

Laws wrote on the first three seasons of AMC’s Preacher and co-wrote the screenplay for Nicolas Winding Refn’s The Neon Demon. She’s also known for her plays Bird Fire Fly, Blueberry Toast (Yale School of Drama) and Wonderful , among others.

The Untitled Mary Laws Project joins Hulu’s existing horror series, J.J. Abrams and Stephen King’s Castle Rock and Jason Blum’s anthology Into the Dark.

Annapurna TV has HBO miniseries The Plot Against America, Netflix series Mixtape and Amazon comedy pilot Half-Empty starring Cazzie David.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/hulu-ho...tv-1202621758/

post #29977 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator

Singing Competition Shows
‘The Voice’ Coaches Blake Shelton, Kelly Clarkson & John Legend React To Adam Levine Exit
By Denise Petski - Deadline - May 24, 2019

Adam Levine’s fellow The Voice coaches Blake Shelton, Kelly Clarkson and John Legend are reacting to the news that the Maroon 5 frontman will not be returning to the hit singing competition series, making it clear he will be missed.

“Having a hard time wrapping my head around Adam not being at The Voice anymore,” Shelton wrote on Twitter. “After 16 seasons that changed both of our lives. I only found out about this yesterday and it hasn’t set in on me yet.” Not unlike their frenemy relationship on the show in which the two are known for the good-natured needling of each other but actually are very close friends, Shelton got in a last jab, writing, “Gonna miss working with that idiot.”

Clarkson wrote:- “Found out last night about @adaml evine leaving The Voice & while I get that he’s been doing the show 4 a while & wants to step away, it will be weird showing up 4 work & he’s not there 👀 To start an amazing show from the ground up is a big deal!”

And Legend said simply, “We’ll miss you brother.”

Host Carson Daly announced Friday morning on NBC News’ Today that Levine would be stepping away after eight years on the show.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/the-voi...it-1202622127/

post #29978 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

Box Office
Prince Ali Mighty Is He With $106M+ Opening: Disney Rebounds Over Memorial Day Holiday With ‘Aladdin’
By Anthony D'Alesandro- Deadline.com - May 25, 2019

It’s a whole new world for Disney at the Memorial Day box office. After weathering through a slew of failed franchise attempts over previous Memorial Days including Alice Through the Looking Glass, Prince of Persia and last year’s Solo: A Star Wars Story to name a few, the pure nostalgia for their live action reboot of 1992’s Aladdin is flying to a grand estimated $106.5M four-day Memorial start after a $30.8M Friday and an estimated 3-day of $84.9M. At 4,476 locations, Aladdin is the widest Memorial Day release ever for Disney, higher than their 4,381 count for Solo: A Star Wars Story last year.

Scary Will Smith Blue Genie? Smith no replacement for Robin Williams? Not the Aladdin of your childhood? Such negative buzz, which rival studios enjoyed sniping about at CinemaCon, hasn’t seeped into the general moviegoers’ consciousness. On social media, RelishMix noticed that most of the negative buzz, like critics, came from those with zero interest in Disney live action cartoon remakes. Disney fans have had a louder voice in the discussion.

“Fans are absolutely loving the materials they’re seeing for Aladdin, from Will Smith’s performance to the authentic look and feel of the movie to the soundtrack and its many songs. Like other Disney movies of recent note, there is that element of older ticket buyers sharing their excitement to be able to share one of their childhood memories on the big screen with their kids and this younger generation,” says the social media analytics corp in their weekly report.

Aladdin will certainly rep the biggest opening ever for director Guy Ritchie (ahead of Sherlock Holmes at $62.3M), a complete B.O. redemption after back-to-back disasters King Arthur and The Man From UNCLE. Aladdin is also poised to be Disney’s second best opener at the Memorial Day box office after 2007’s Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End ($139.8M), slotting ahead of last year’s Solo (which though high for the holiday at $103M, was unfortunate next to the pic’s exorbitant $250M cost before P&A). For Smith, it’s his second best opening on a 3-day basis after 2016’s Suicide Squad ($133.6M). Aladdin we hear only cost $182M net.

Aladdin is also another big win for diversity at the box office with a multi-cultural cast on the marquee. As the biggest studio in the world, it’s important for Disney to make event pics in which many people can see themselves reflected on screen, i.e. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Black Panther, and even A Wrinkle in Time (a big swing which came up short for them). Caucasians made up 42% of Aladdin‘s audience, followed by 27% Hispanics, 15% African American and 11% Asian.

Other bragging rights for Disney this weekend: After the less-than-anticipated performance of Mary Poppins Returns and Dumbo, Aladdin remains an uptick for their live action toon remakes. It’s evident that the Gen X/Y appealing toons from the 1990s during the Jeffery Katzenberg animation renaissance at the studio is what remains rich fodder versus some of the older IP (which has recently shown to be inconsistent, perhaps the strength in the old stuff lies in re-imagination spinoffs like Maleficent and the upcoming Cruella). By the way, Aladdin is just an appetizer here at the summer B.O.: The entire town is banking on Jon Favreau’s The Lion King to shoot cash out of confetti gun when it opens on July 19.

In addition to Memorial Day riches, Disney can smile about Aladdin‘s solid A CinemaScore, and fantastic PostTrak exits which are still at 4 1/2 stars and a 70% definite recommend for combined demos. Females at 59% are driving business with millennials (ages 25-34) the biggest age quad at 28%. Women still love the pic more than men, 94% to 84% with Females over 25 still taking up the most seats at 30%, followed by females under 25 (29%), males over 25 (22%) and males under 25 (19%). Families repped 36% of the audiences to general moviegoers’ 64%. Parents give it 4 1/2 stars to kids under 12’s four stars. Moms outweighed Dads, 57% to 43%, and girls outnumbered boys, 59% to 41% (and, of, course they like it better 90% to 88%).

The heat that RelishMix observed on social media about Prince Ali: Aladdin had an immense social media universe north of 763M “a level we have not observed yet this year for a family/live action title” across Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook and YouTube views. Video viral rate for materials was 15:1 ahead of the family action pic’s 13:1, “superb considering the 24 clips Disney posted for this film.” RelishMix has an asterisk on these numbers. Not counted in this reach, is the push Aladdin is receiving across other studio social media channels, i.e. partner shops PIXAR, Disney Animation, the Parks, etc. Not to mention, there has been an Aladdin musical playing on Broadway since 2014, all of which adds toward the movie’s reach and engagement.

The soundtrack has been key in driving social media traffic with the pic’s YouTube views for all clips at a massive 215M+. “The soundtrack that brings us back, pays social dividends,” says RelishMix.

The soundtrack to the original Aladdin is a classic, and the song “A Whole New World” at the time was the first and only number from a Disney feature to earn a Grammy Award for Song of the Year. The single went gold at 500K copies sold. “Taking a page from that original film, this 2019 live-action version has definitely capitalized upon a superb song list – and enlisted lots of social media help to get fans singing the songs leading up to open.”

ZAYN and Zhavia Ward’s “A Whole New World” rendition from the Ritchie film has earned more views than any other YouTube video in the Aladdin campaign with 46M+. Similar to what Disney did with Frozen and “Let it Go”, they made various renditions of “A Whole New World” for various markets with local artists in Brazil, South Korea, Japan, China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand and India, and a Spanish version with Zayn and Becky G. Disney dropped Aladdin star Naomi Scott’s new single from the film “Speechless” a couples of days ago and it already has logged 2.5M views on YouTube.

“At the end of the day, this campaign has built a lot of engagement around its soundtrack, a tactic other summer tentpoles could easily imitate,” remarks RelishMix.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/aladdin...ce-1202621906/

post #29979 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Cancellations
A.P. Bio Cancelled at NBC
By Rebecca Iannucci / May 24 2019, 8:55 PM PDT TVLine

lass is dismissed indefinitely for the students of A.P. Bio, which has been cancelled at NBC after two seasons.

Creator Mike O’Brien broke the bad news on Twitter, encouraging fans to watch the four remaining episodes:

"I'm intensely sad to announce that AP Bio will be ending after this season. This has been my favorite project of my life and that's because of the amazing writers, cast and crew. As most canceled shows probably feel, I think we were just hitting our stride and everyone was still loving the work, so this is very hard. We have 4 left to air and they're 4 of my favorites. Plus 22 others are on Hulu (for now) and http://nbc.com . Please check them out and tell a friend about the show and tell the people who worked on it that they did a good job!"

The comedy starred It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia vet Glenn Howerton as Jack Griffin, a disgraced Harvard philosophy professor who is forced to take a job in Toledo, Ohio, as a high school A.P. Biology teacher. But upon realizing he’s teaching bright kids, Jack decides to enlist them to get revenge on his rival, Miles. The cast also included Jean Villepique (Up All Night), Paula Pell (Big Mouth) and the ubiquitous Patton Oswalt.

In its second season, A.P. Bio has averaged just above a 0.5 demo rating, which ranks second-lowest among all of NBC’s comedies (above only the midseason entry Abby’s).

In a March TVLine poll, A.P. Bio ranked 28th out of 29 bubble shows that readers wanted to see get saved, only beating out The CW’s recently renewed All American. (In fact, A.P. Bio landed in the Bottom 10 of that poll two years in a row.)

https://tvline.com/2019/05/24/ap-bio...-season-3-nbc/

post #29980 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Layoffs
CNN Lays Off Some Health Journalism Staffers
By Brian Steinberg - Variedy - May 24, 2019

CNN has laid off a handful of staffers from its health-journalism unit after deciding to place its health, climate and Southeastern newsgathering operations under a single aegis.

”As part of the normal course of business, our newsgathering team made a small restructure earlier this week that ultimately impacts 6-7 employees within CNN’s Health Unit,” CNN said in a statement. The layoffs were disclosed previously in a report by TVNewser. The restructuring of those news operations had been in the planning stages for some time. Affected employees are believed to have been notified earlier this week.

The AT&T-owned news division recently offered buyouts to more than 100 staffers. AT&T, which purchased CNN as part of its acquisition of Time Warner last year, has been working to shed as much as $170 million in debt. Buyouts have been offered at other parts of WarnerMedia, which also includes HBO.

Dr. Sanjay Gupta and Elizabeth Cohen, who frequently appear on air to report on health and wellness topics, were not affected by the buyout.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cnn...rs-1203225679/

post #29981 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Tech
Is 5G Evolving Into Broadcast TV?
Huawei's planned 5G 8K receiver augurs expectations for telecom integration.
By Gar Arlen - tvtechnology - May 24, 2019

BETHESDA, Md.—When reports surfaced early last month that Huawei—the giant Chinese telecom manufacturer, best known for its infrastructure equipment and handsets—is planning to make 8K television receivers for 5G video transmissions, fear and skepticism popped up around the globe. Why would a company with a limited consumer electronics presence (aside from handsets, of which it is a world-leader) plunge into the competitive and low-margin TV receiver business? Would the Huawei initiative—if true—affect the dynamics of 5G video distribution? Moreover, given the current political scrutiny around the company (and the U.S. barriers to distribution here), would any 5G TV devices actually be allowed to go to market in the U.S. and other Western countries?

Huawei was quick to deny the reports, which originated from Japan's Nikkei Asian Review. Nikkei said that the Chinese electronics giant was working on an 8K receiver using its own built-in 5G chip that could download data-heavy content, including virtual reality and 360-degree immersive video.

‘WE DON’T DO TV’S’

A senior official at Huawei's U.S. arm told TV Technology, "We don't comment on industry rumors or speculation." Separately, Huawei executives were quoted in Chinese business publications insisting that, "We don't do TVs."

But his further comment—"A big-screen terminal does not necessarily mean a TV"—was parsed into a challenge of whether Huawei is playing with words. Industry analysts in China wondered if Huawei is actually making a TV-like device but will call it by another name. Others cited Huawei's expansive Internet of Things strategy, noting that a high-capacity 5G monitor (as well as mobile devices) could be part of that IoT roadmap—without actually being a conventional TV set.

Another senior U.S. technology expert, who requested anonymity, pointed out that Huawei "certainly has the technology to make it happen," although he acknowledged that "it's not clear what the need is, especially in the U.S."

"You can’t count on the TV being in a location with good 5G reception," he told TV Technology. "Maybe it'll work in urban areas in China."

Indeed there is already considerable speculation that Huawei would make the Ultra High Definition 5G TV receiver initially only for China and possibly other Asian markets—that it would not try to crack the competitive U.S. or European regions, at least not initially. Samsung and Sony have already announced plans for 8K monitors—albeit not with 5G capability. Their initial prices are in $5,000-$70,000 range, depending on size.

COMPLEMENTARY, NOT COMPETITIVE

No matter what eventually emerges from the Huawei TV tease, other developments augur a lively evolution for 5G's relationship with the conventional broadcast TV industry. From Korea to Germany—with hints of U.S. projects in the works—5G TV is emerging as a viable companion to the broadcasters’ ATSC 3.0 (aka “Next Gen TV”) platform.

Madeleine Noland, the new president of the Advanced Television Systems Committee, said that she doesn't perceive 5G as a competitor to "next-generation terrestrial broadcasting using ATSC 3.0 technology."

"ATSC considers the two transmission systems complementary," she said. "Each has benefits in terms of a variety of factors, things like efficiency, coverage, robustness and so on... We think the one-to-many architecture of terrestrial broadcasting and the big, robust data pipe of ATSC 3.0 make Next Gen broadcasting ideal for many applications.

"That said, down the road we envision service providers delivering data and video via the platform best suited to each given use case, and to devices that are equipped to receive data via multiple delivery methods,” Noland added.

Mark Aitken, vice president of advanced technology for Sinclair Broadcasting—who has advocated collaboration between 5G and ATSC 3.0 technology—said he "certainly can see 5G receivers playing a role as the fiber/cable alternative ‘from the curb to the home.'" Although he said he had no inside knowledge about the presumed Huawei plan, he expects such integrated devices to emerge.

"It would not surprise me to see a product like [a 5G TV receiver] that also incorporates an ATSC 3.x receiver as a gateway device, making available content from both wireless connections for distribution through the home/office," Aitken said. He foresees a "network hub" device that uses the home network (wired and/or wireless) as the distribution platform.

"We have a roadmap for the chip that may yield a 5G/ATSC 3.x integrated SoC [system-on-a-chip]," said Aitken, who also holds roles at Sinclair-affiliated technology companies ONE Media and the India-based semi-conductor maker Saankhya Labs.

"If there is a market, we will chase it," he said.

5GTV TESTS UNDERWAY

Meanwhile, other initiatives to marry 5G and advanced TV platforms are emerging around the world.

A German broadcast TV field trial dubbed "5G Today" debuted in early May. The project in the Bavaria region is a collaboration of the Bavarian Broadcasting Corporation, IRT, Kathrein, Rohde & Schwarz and Telefonica Germany. Its backers say that it could lay the foundation for the efficient transmission of broadcasting content to millions of future 5G devices.

Using the new broadcast mode FeMBMS (Further evolved Multimedia Broadcast Multicast Service), 5G Today is expected to transmit signals out to about 60 km on Single Frequency Network channels 56/57 (750-760 MHz). Telefonica Germany is making the appropriate frequencies available for the trial. The project will test how 5G broadcasting can be used to create an overlay infrastructure that simultaneously reaches millions of 5G mobile devices in a way that is neither a burden to the regular mobile networks or which puts extra costs on consumers, according to the consortium that is running the test.

In South Korea, KT Corp. (formerly Korea Telecom) began offering a full-scale 5G IPTV service through set-top boxes and mobile devices in April, following more than a year of trials and special events (such as the 2018 Winter Olympics). Seoul Broadcasting Systems is working with KT to develop broadcast capabilities for the 5G technology. Under the new agreement, TVU Networks will work with KT Corp. to deliver UHD broadcasts over KT’s 5G enterprise network. Under terms of the agreement, KT and TVU Networks will work collaboratively to establish an enterprise 5G network and related broadcast capabilities in Korea.

These developments come as more research surfaces about the collaborative prospects for 5G and advanced broadcasting. The Ericsson Consumer and Industry Lab issued a "5G Consumer Potential" report last month in which it concluded that, "Consumers themselves predict massive changes in future usage on 5G, with video consumption set to peak."

In particular, Ericsson pointed out the cord-cutting appetite that 5G video will serve.

"Consumers in the U.S. would prefer to cut the cord from cable TV and instead use streaming services via 5G," according to the report. "Chinese consumers expect to live in a 5G-connected smart home; and South Korean consumers would love to go shopping in mobile Virtual Reality"

"Four in 10 [Americans] state that 5G home wireless broadband would be a strong incentive to cut their ties with cable TV, as it would then come bundled in with streaming services," Ericsson explains. "5G home wireless broadband offers an additional broadband choice to users if consumers are made aware of this alternative."

Although many of the respondents in Ericsson's analysis still think of handsets as their major vehicle for video consumption, the study opens the door to 5G delivery to other monitors.

"Consumers expect to increase their video usage drastically with 5G," says Ericsson. "Half of smartphone users in our survey say they will start watching YouTube and Netflix in 4K and will download more HD video content once 5G is available… One in five say that they could spend more time [watching streamed videos] provided that devices improve in screen size and battery life [and] data plan allowances."

WHAT HUAWEI COULD DO

The Ericsson finding brings the focus back to the impact of Huawei's reported plan to accelerate video delivery to a home monitor via 5G. The company holds more than 1,500 patents for 5G technology—about twice the number of Qualcomm, its largest U.S. competitor, according it IPlytics, a German intellectual property research firm.

Huawei also has strong relations with wireless telecom operators (especially in China), which will support a 5G video service. These existing connections would help Huawei install 5G base stations and small-cell stations within a region—part of the ecosystem needed for 8K delivery, according to C.Y Yao, a technology analyst at TrendForce, a Taipei research company, quoted in Asian publications.

In addition, Huawei has extensive connections in the TV business, as a supplier of chips to receiver manufacturers such as Hisense, Skyworth and Changhong. In particular, its modem chips will be essential for 5G service. Analysts believe that Huawei would work with Chinese or Korean suppliers of large-screen displays, although no specific speculation has yet emerged.

Most significantly, the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP), a standards organization affiliated with the International Telecommunications Union, is working on 5G standards and an evolved IP Multimedia Subsystem. More than a year ago, 3GPP initiated a program seeking "improved support for television services to both mobile devices and stationary TV sets over eMBMS (enhanced multimedia broadcast and multicast system)." The goal is to let mobile/wireless operators deliver "superior TV services" via their networks.

As one observer put it, Huawei's move toward a 5G 8K project would expand its brand into a new market and boost its role in the evolving ecosystem.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/is...o-broadcast-tv

post #29982 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Fwiw, Bianculli's Best Bets for tonight (Sat) consist of "The Three Musketeers" (1973) on TCM at 6pm ET and "Halloween" (2018) on HBO at 8pm ET. In other words, he's got nuthin.' Easier to just tell you than to copy and format it.
dad1153 and Nayan like this.

post #29983 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked: 2550
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
Congrats to dad for approaching this thread's 1000 page mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Dad has been doing a phenomenal job!
And what a great time for me to be absent for 1.5 days due to (a) more computer trouble (damn you, cheap HP laptop!), (b) a sudden extra day at work and (c) my local library closed for Memorial Day Weekend already. Truly a perfect storm of s&*$! At least it's a holiday weekend, so other than Adam Levine suddenly leaving "The Voice" it's been kind-of slow lately.

Thanks to Dr. Don for covering for me. I'll try to keep up from now on.
joblo, DrDon, Nayan and 1 others like this.
post #29984 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Broadcast)
‘Last Call With Carson Daly’ Bids Farewell To Late Night Television
By Bruce Haring, Deadline.com - May 25, 2019

After 18 seasons and more than 2,000 episodes, Last Call With Carson Daly ended its run last night.

“I am proud as hell of Last Call,” Daly said to start his final episode. “The littlest, scrappiest show on late night, it’s been my home and personal playground for almost two decades, and I’m eternally grateful for the opportunities, the friendships and all the lasting memories I’ve made along the way.”

ILast Call will be succeeded by a new late-night show hosted by YouTube star Lilly Singh. The show will be called A Little Late with Lilly Singh and will bow in September.
Daly will continue in his role as the host of singing competition The Voice on NBC.

“I wanted a late night show that felt like it was happening late at night, and I wanted to feature great guests, important conversations, killer music, and if at all possible, alcohol,” Daly joked. “And like that, yes, Last Call was born.”

Known for its music guests – Daly came out of MTV’s Total Request Live – Last Call has featured Justin Timberlake, Maroon 5, Rihanna, and Kanye West among its talent.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/last-ca...ow-1202622279/
rcman2 and Panson like this.
post #29985 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
Ratings: ‘Elementary’ Final Season Starts With a New Low for Premiere
By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - May 24, 2019

“Elementary” didn’t really take anyone to school on Thursday when the CBS drama’s seventh and final season started with a new low for a premiere.

To be fair to the Lucy Liu series, “Elementary,” was the most-watched show at 10 o’clock last night. Kate del Castillo’s “La Reina Del Sur” fared better among adults 18-49, with a 0.6 rating.

ABC’s Farrah Fawcett special was the night’s most-watched show. On NBC, its annual “Red Nose Day” special added viewers but slipped in the key demo.

ABC and CBS tied for first in ratings, both with a 0.6 rating/3 share in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic. ABC was first in total viewers with an average of 4.8 million, according to preliminary numbers, CBS was second with 4.7 million.

For ABC, “This Is Farrah Fawcett” from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. averaged a 0.7/3 and 5.8 million viewers. A rerun followed.

For CBS, following repeats, “Elementary” settled for a 0.5/3 and 2.9 million viewers.

NBC, Telemundo, Fox and Univision all tied for third in ratings, each with a 0.4/2. NBC was third in total viewers with 2.2 million, Telemundo was fourth with 1.25 million, Fox was fifth with 1.24 million, Univision was sixth with 1 million.

For NBC, “Red Nose Day” from 8-10 averaged a 0.4/2 and 2.2 million viewers. A special “Red Nose Day” edition of “Hollywood Game Night” at 10 got a 0.4/2 and 2 million viewers.

Fox aired two hours of “Paradise Hotel” last night, filling up its primetime and averaging the Nielsen numbers we mentioned above.

The CW was seventh in ratings with a 0.2/1 and in viewers with 673,000. At 8, “iZombie” managed a 0.2/1 and 751,000 viewers. “In the Dark” at 9 had a 0.2/1 and 594,000 viewers.

https://www.thewrap.com/members/2019...d-low-ratings/
post #29986 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter

Technology Notes
How to stream fave shows without paying monthly
By Jefferson Graham, USA Today - May 25, 2019

The Game of Thrones ended this week and with it potentially tons of HBO Now subscriptions as well.

That was clearly the morning-after chatter on Twitter. Why continue paying now that the show is history?

To pay or not to pay and why do I have to subscribe to so many services I rarely watch are also huge questions in households that are being deluged with offers for more and more subscription services. This year alone, we'll see new ones from Apple and Disney, with others down the pike from WarnerMedia and NBCUniversal.

Jared Newman has a great solution to keep better track of our services: Sign up and then cancel the next day.

"Not everybody realizes that you don't have to sign up for a service and remind yourself 30 days later to cancel, you can cancel immediately," says Newman, who runs the Cord Cutter Weekly newsletter. You can still enjoy your programming and not have to worry about remembering to cancel. "You'll be billed for a 30-day billing cycle."

The streamers are even upfront about it. From HBO's terms of service: "You pay for your subscription in advance of the covered month. To avoid being charged for the next month, cancel your subscription before the start of your next billing cycle."

Netflix admits that once you sign up for paid service, your credit card is authorized for one month of service "as soon as you register."

For those who prefer doing the free trial, HBO says customers can avoid being charged for the next month by canceling their subscription at least 24 hours before the trial ends.

As streaming customers know, the companies make it really easy to sign up, but you have to be a really good private investigator to figure out how to get out. Now, it's even easier to get in, with services like Apple's revamped Apple TV, Roku and Amazon Fire TV. where you can join in with the click of a remote. The companies have your credit card on file, so you don't even have to put in payment or choose a screen name to sign up.

One strategy Newman has when there's a hot show he wants to watch is to wait for the series to run a few weeks (if it's not binge-able, like on Netflix), subscribe and then cancel, watching the episodes right away, while he still has 29 days left from his purchase.

This TV watcher did just that with the Good Fight, which began its third season on CBS All-Access on March 14th. We signed up this week, with ten episodes awaiting, and three more that will launch over the next weeks. With one episode down, we have 12 more to get through in the next 30 days.

Thank you, Memorial Day! It's binge time.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ly/1229164001/
post #29987 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Legal Notes
CBS Sued Over 'Andy Griffith Show' Theme Song
By Ashley Cullins, The Hollywood Reporter - May 24, 2019

The heirs of the two men who created The Andy Griffith Show's theme song are suing CBS for allegedly using the work without a license.

Earle Hagen and Herbert Spencer wrote "Theme for the Andy Griffith Show" in the '50s, and registered its copyright in 1960, according to the complaint filed Thursday in California federal court. Their rights in the work were later transferred to their partnership, Larrabee Music. After their deaths, The Diana R. Spencer Trust and the Hagen Family Trust inherited the rights and eventually dissolved Larrabee and gave partial copyright ownership to the Hagen Children’s Trust and the Hagen Decedent’s Trust.

Now the heirs claim CBS is exploiting the theme without a license by selling DVDs of the series. They argue the network is relying on an 1978 agreement between Viacom and Mayberry Enterprises concerning rights to the series and that the agreement doesn't include home video or other modern media.

"CBS has refused to enter into a new agreement with Plaintiffs to authorize its exploitation of the Theme in additional media or to otherwise cease conducting such unauthorized exploitation," writes attorney Neville Johnson in the complaint. "To the contrary, Plaintiffs have since learned that CBS has licensed the Series to digital services such as iTunes and Amazon for distribution and public performance."

The heirs are suing for direct and contributory copyright infringement and are asking the court for an injunction to stop CBS from exploiting the theme, as well as seeking either actual damages and disgorgement of the network's profits or statutory damages.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/th...e-song-1213484
post #29988 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

TV Review (Streaming)
'Pitching In' on Acorn is a Guilty Pleasure
By David Hinckley, TVWorthWatching.com's 'All Along the Watchtower' - May 24, 2019

Pitching In is a breezy, lightweight tale that pokes around in the familiar dramas of family and makes a small village in North Wales look like one of the most beautiful places on Earth.

Efficiently told in four episodes, Pitching In becomes available Friday on Acorn.

Lifelong townsman Frank Hardcastle (Larry Lamb) runs a residential park called Daffodil Dunes. It has cottages and beach access, and it’s home to a bunch of mostly endearing regulars who are quirky and harmless. Sort of like Alexandria in The Walking Dead might have been if there were no zombie apocalypse.

Frank knows everyone by name, and he can even persuade some of them to help take care of his dog Peaches, who is so small she’s barely a dog at all.

Peaches was Frank’s wife’s dog. But his wife, whom he adored, died a little over a year ago, and Peaches, whom he doesn’t much like, lives on. As you might imagine, the death of his wife is the important fact in that sentence.

Among other things, it has made Frank feel older. The population of Daffodil Dunes is also getting older, and as Frank turns 71, he has reluctantly decided to put the place up for sale.

He has no specific plan for the future. Although he’s in good physical health, he’s tired.

Just as the picturesque seaside setting of Pitching In will remind viewers of the Cornwall town in Doc Martin, the setup of bittersweet sunset years has a faint echo of Last Tango in Halifax.

Pitching In makes the same compact with viewers as those shows do. There’s no jarring violence, no awful acts of treachery. There’s no graphic language. A risqué segment here is two old-timers joking about a bull’s apparent reluctance to get friendly with the cows. While everyone isn’t always nice to each other, and harsh words are occasionally exchanged, it’s a gentle show.

A storyline does, however, develop. Frank’s daughter Carys (Caroline Sheen) pulls into town with her young teenage son Dylan (William Romain), and while at first, Frank assumes she’s just there for his birthday party, it turns out she’s come back to stay.

Seems her husband back in Manchester was stepping out on her, and she’s decided to move back to the nest. When she hears that Frank wants to sell the place, she volunteers to step in and run it. Update it, make it a happening place. Bring crowds in.

Carys and Frank clearly love each other. Equally clear, Frank has had some issues with Carys’s life choices over the years. So there’s an ongoing undercurrent of caution despite their easy banter and Frank’s generally accommodating attitude.

That father/daughter dynamic forms the heart of Pitching In, as Carys confidently pushes forward with her vision for Daffodil Dunes.

Naturally, we also get subplots, including the one in which Dylan makes it clear that moving from a lively city to the middle of nowhere is about as appealing as giving up his phone.
Daffodil Dunes is great, he says at one point, “if you’re 90 and half-dead.”

Frank also has a potential outside distraction in Iona Driscoll (Hayley Mills), a local real estate agent who would love to see more of Frank. In a good way.

And Carys now will be regularly running into Danny (Craig Russell), a local hunk that she came within a few minutes of marrying the last time she lived in town. Danny has a new partner, both in life and in the local pub, which he runs.

So Pitching In has several points of interpersonal intrigue, and it clearly feels the stories of Frank, Carys, Dylan, their town and their circle, against a gorgeous backdrop, are enough.

It’s the TV equivalent of Daffodil Dunes – a throwback to an earlier, simpler era.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=18258
post #29989 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Business Notes (Mobile)
Best Buy cancels all preorders for the Galaxy Fold
By Chaim Gartenberg, TheVerge.com - May 24, 2019

Customers waiting for Samsung’s Galaxy Fold to ship may have just gotten another bad sign: Best Buy is reportedly canceling all orders for the delayed foldable phone due to the lack of a new release date from Samsung.

In an email sent out to customers, Best Buy noted that “with breakthrough designs and technology come many hurdles and the possibility to face a plethora of unforeseen hiccups. These hurdles have led Samsung to postpone the release of the Galaxy Fold, and Samsung has not provided a new release date. Because we put our customers first and want to ensure they are taken care of in the best possible manner, Best Buy has decided to cancel all current pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy Fold.”

The announcement comes one month after Samsung announced that it would be indefinitely delaying the Galaxy Fold while it sought to address the various issues that cropped up on review units it had distributed (including The Verge’s original review device). AT&T had previously put a June 13th release date on the Fold after announcements of the delay, but the carrier has since removed that estimate. Samsung announced earlier in May that it too would be canceling preorders from customers who have not confirmed that they still want a Fold on May 31st due to federal regulations.

In a statement released to The Verge, Samsung promised that it would have a new release date for the Fold in “the coming weeks.” The full statement from the company is included below:

“We are working closely with all of our distribution partners, including Best Buy, to deliver the Galaxy Fold to customers as quickly as possible. Customers that received a cancellation notice of their pre-order from Best Buy may choose to be notified once the item is available. A new release date for the Galaxy Fold will be announced in the coming weeks. Samsung values the trust our customers place in us and we want to thank them for their patience and understanding.”

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/24/1...est-buy-cancel
dturturro and Panson like this.
post #29990 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
HBO and BBC Renew 'Gentleman Jack' for a Second Season
By Jessika Walsten, Multichannel News - May 24, 2019

HBO and the BBC have picked up a second season of Gentleman Jack.

Produced by Lookout Point for HBO and BBC One, the drama series premiered in April.

“We’re thrilled that Anne Lister’s story has resonated so powerfully with audiences in the U.S. and abroad, and we’re grateful to Sally Wainwright and the entire Gentleman Jack family for bringing her story to life,” said Francesca Orsi, executive VP, HBO Drama Programming. “Anne’s journey is an important and courageous one and we can’t wait to share this next season with the world.”

Gentleman Jack is based on the diaries of Anne Lister, an English woman who fought against the conventions of the 1800s as a landowner and industrialist.

Sally Wainwright is creator, writer and co-director of the series. Suranne Jones stars as Lister.

"It's so exciting that so many people have had such a positive response to Suranne's exuberant performance as the brilliant, life-affirming Anne Lister and to Sophie Rundle's beautiful performance as her courageous partner, Ann Walker,” said Wainwright. “I'm utterly delighted that we've been recommissioned, because there are so many more big, bold stories to tell about Anne Lister and Ann Walker. A massive thank you to the BBC and HBO and to everyone at Lookout Point."

Along with Wainwright, Sarah Harding and Jennifer Perrott co-direct the series. Wainwright, Faith Penhale and Laura Lankester executive produce for Lookout Point with Ben Irving serving as EP for BBC One.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/hb...-second-season
post #29991 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Memorial Day Weekend TV Viewing Guide: From ‘Killing Eve’ to ‘Game of Thrones: The Last Watch’
By Margeaux Sippell, TheWrap.com - May 24, 2019

It's Memorial Day weekend, and chances are you're going to observe the three-day time-out in all of the traditional ways: Honoring those who have died while serving our country, barbecuing, cracking open cold ones with the boys and of course, watching TV. When the barbecue has been devoured and the block parties have wound down, settle into your couch with ease -- we've got you covered on what to watch this weekend, from the season finale of "Killing Eve" to HBO's "Game of Thrones: The Last Watch" to a new episode of "The Bachelorette."

"What/If" Renée Zellweger stars in Netflix's latest series, which dropped on the streaming service Friday. Described as a "neo-noir social thriller," the anthology series "explores the ripple effects of what happens when acceptable people start doing unacceptable things. The season focuses on a mysterious woman's lucrative but dubious offer to a cash-strapped pair of San Francisco newlyweds."

"Doom Patrol" The season finale of DC Universe's superhero drama went up on the streaming service Friday. The series is based on a super team of heroes whose powers have caused them alienation and trauma.

"The Book of John Gray" This weekend brings an end to the second season of OWN's "The Book of John Gray." The network describes the series as a "dramedy docu-follow hybrid about the life of John Gray and his uniquely humorous way of helping people." The finale airs from 10-11 p.m. on Saturday night.

"Ransom" This CBS series has its season finale at 8 p.m. on Saturday night. The story follows crisis negotiator Eric Beaumont, an expert in kidnap and ransom cases, who refuses to resort to violence even when faced with the world's most dangerous criminals.

"Killing Eve" Since this is a weekend of season finales, Sandra Oh's Emmy-winning drama "Killing Eve" airs its last episode of Season Two on Sunday at 8 p.m. on AMC and BBC America. The drama follows the inextricably linked lives of a security operative, Eve Polastri (Oh) and an assassin, Villanelle (Jodie Comer).

"Game of Thrones: The Last Watch" The "Game of Thrones" series finale has come and gone, but there's still one more bit of new "GoT"-related content coming this weekend. This two-hour documentary airs from 9 to 11 p.m. Sunday on HBO. Made by British filmmaker Jeanie Finlay, who was there on set for the filming of the final season, the documentary is described by HBO as delving "deep into the mud and blood to reveal the tears and triumphs involved in the challenge of bringing the fantasy world of Westeros to life in the very real studios, fields and car-parks of Northern Ireland."

"The Bachelorette" After Monday's Memorial Day parties have concluded, tune in to ABC at 8 p.m. to check on the progress of this season's bachelorette, former Miss Alabama USA Hannah Brown.

Stanley Cup Playoffs: Game 1 For the hockey fans out there, the Memorial Day festivities will likely coincide with Game 1 of this year's Stanley Cup Playoffs. Watch the Boston Bruins face off against the St. Louis Blues at 8 p.m. ET on Monday.

"The Hot Zone" Watch the series premiere of National Geographic's drama based on the best-selling book by Richard Preston. Starring Julianna Margulies, "The Hot Zone" follows the origins of the Ebola virus. Premieres Monday at 9 p.m.

"Meghan & Harry: Baby Fever" For those with a hankering for more royal couple programming, Lifetime is airing a special all about the royal baby, Archie, at 10 p.m. on Monday.

https://www.thewrap.com/memorial-wee...he-last-watch/
post #29992 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

No political comments, please.

TV Notes

Nickelodeon star Michael D. Cohen reveals he transitioned 20 years ago
By Sara M Moniuszko, USA Today - May 25, 2019

Canadian actor Michael D. Cohen is opening up about his "transgender journey."

Cohen, 43, best known for his role in Nickelodeon's "Henry Danger ," revealed to Time that he transitioned 20 years ago.

“I was misgendered at birth,” Cohen said. “I identify as male, and I am proud that I have had a transgender experience — a transgender journey.”

Cohen added that his desire to share his experience stemmed from him growing restlessness during the Trump administration. On Friday, the administration announced plans to remove discrimination protections for transgender patients that were provided under the Affordable Care Act. In April, the Pentagon's new policy for restricting the service of transgender troops took effect.

“This crazy backlash and oppression of rights is happening right in front of me. I can’t stay silent,” Cohen said. “The level of — let’s be polite — misunderstanding around trans issues is so profound and so destructive. When you disempower one population, you disempower everybody.”

He added that many people still don't understand what it means to be trans.

“People don’t understand. They think this has to do with sexuality and it doesn’t. They think this has to do with pushing an agenda on kids and it doesn’t,” he said.

“What it does is send a message to kids that whoever they are, however they identify, that’s celebrated and valued and okay.”

He continued, “My chromosomes do not dictate my gender. I’m a man. It’s not that hard.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...go/1234338001/
post #29993 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Layoffs
CNN Lays Off Some Health Journalism Staffers
By Brian Steinberg - Variedy - May 24, 2019

CNN has laid off a handful of staffers from its health-journalism unit after deciding to place its health, climate and Southeastern newsgathering operations under a single aegis.

”As part of the normal course of business, our newsgathering team made a small restructure earlier this week that ultimately impacts 6-7 employees within CNN’s Health Unit,” CNN said in a statement. The layoffs were disclosed previously in a report by TVNewser. The restructuring of those news operations had been in the planning stages for some time. Affected employees are believed to have been notified earlier this week.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/cnn...rs-1203225679/

I wish they would stop using the term "Lay Off". It's not a a lay off - it's a staffing cut. A few decades ago, it actually meant what the term implies, but not today.

Years ago, when you were laid off, and were still looking for a job when things got better, there's was an expectation you'd get first dibs on any open opportunities at the company you might be qualified for. That's simply not the case anymore.

Now, a "lay off" means your position is cut and you aren't being brought back unless you get lucky and nail a new interview for your old position.

I wish they would just say "cut" and be truthful about it.

Further, the second paragraph reflects yet another sad reality of today's publicly traded companies: cuts are a normal course of business. Unlike a few decades ago, cuts are a way to increase profitability, not as a last ditch effort to shore of the company when it's really hitting the fan.

This short-sightedness has not only doomed many a company, but has eroded the trust emplyees have in the company they work for:

1) Cuts to increase profit are a short term solution. You can only cut so much before you run out of stuff to cut - people included. In the end, cutting expenses won't grow your business. Coming up with products that people want badly enough to pay a price that makes a good profit is how you do it. Too many companies have gotten fat and lazy and put out products that either say "me too" or simply don't evolve enough to make people want to buy a new version. Of course, that's what you get today when the first cuts are to R&D.

2) When employees can't trust that doing their job well and being reliable and being loyal will keep them out of the cross hairs of cutbacks, they stop having that loyalty to the company. That makes them willing to jump ship for new opportunities they might normally not pursue. That creates an endless cycle of the companies and employees not caring about each other. When that loyalty goes away, the extra effort to be the best goes away.

3) Going public is step one in the failure of any company. As soon as you start selling stock, you lose the ability to run your company in the same successful way that made it desirable as a stock option in the first place. When stock holders start having a say in how your company is run, it means people with no business running your company are now running your company. It means you jump on every single desperate fad to increase the quarterly stock price, because it's all about the dividends. That lack of long term planning has doomed many a company or simply put a company into a business where no one knows exactly what they actually do anymore, kind of like IBM. Either that, or they get to the point where all their money comes from suing other companies, like TiVo.

Meanwhile, the CEO (who is likely someone who replaced the original creator of the business, long since booted out of his own company) and board of directors enrich themselves under the false idea that "we can't get high quality leadership if we don't pay for it". Meanwhile, every CEO follows the same playbook that an 8 year old could follow to destroy a name brand company in less than 20 years:

1) Follow up successful product with a new version that is simply faster with maybe one new feature that is meant to pull people in. Usually, that feature will be the "me too" feature that adds a feature everyone else has already had. Avoid spending any resources to create something new and compelling.

2) When that doesn't yield success, cut your R&D costs by eliminating R&D. If you do the above, you don't need those guys anyway, right?

2) When that doesn't work, you start cost cutting by cutting back on components and features. Fewer inputs/outputs, fewer materials, cheaper components, etc.

3) When that fails, start outsourcing your labor to save costs. Slash a bunch of jobs and send your stuff out to be made at Foxcon.

4) When people stop buying your products due to the lack of quality and move to the knock-offs, stop making anything and become a "technology services company" where people are surprised you still exist when you waste money advertising during the Super Bowl.

Last edited by NetworkTV; 05-25-2019 at 11:30 AM.
post #29994 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Washington Notes
FCC Opens Door to Next-Gen TV
By John Eggerton, Broadcasting & Cable - May 23, 2019

Looks like the next-gen era in broadcast transmissions will begin May 28.

That red-letter day is when the FCC says it will start accepting TV station applications to modify their licenses to allow them to broadcast in the ATSC 3.0 transmission standard, which will allow for interactivity, targeted advertising, 4K pictures and more, though it will require a new TV set or adaptor to receive them.

The FCC authorized the new service in November 2018, saying the transition was a voluntary one--the analog-to-DTV transition in 2009 was not. But it could not start accepting applications until it had modified its online Licensing and Management System (LMS) to accommodate the new applications.

The application window will open for all licensed full-power and low-power stations and translators, but not stations licensed to share spectrum with a host station.

To speed the process, the FCC says it is a one-step process, which is not the case with "traditional" license modification applications.

Between its November authorization and this week, the FCC granted several temporary authorities to test ATSC 3.0. It said Thursday that no more test licenses will be granted absent unusual circumstances. Experimental stations will have to file for a modification before their experimental license expires or stop broadcasting in ATSC 3.0. The FCC is advising those stations not to wait until the last minute, but instead file at least 30 days before their temporary license expires.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...to-next-gen-tv
aaronwt likes this.
post #29995 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked: 852
Quote:
Cancellations
‘Whiskey Cavalier’ “Fully And Finally Canceled” After Brief Review By ABC
By Nellie Andreeva May 24, 2019 3:09pmdeadline.com
Boo!!! Hiss!!!

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #29996 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1065
Quote:
I wish they would stop using the term "Lay Off". It's not a a lay off - it's a staffing cut. A few decades ago, it actually meant what the term implies, but not today.

Years ago, when you were laid off, and were still looking for a job when things got better, there's was an expectation you'd get first dibs on any open opportunities at the company you might be qualified for. That's simply not the case anymore.

Now, a "lay off" means your position is cut and you aren't being brought back unless you get lucky and nail a new interview for your old position.

I wish they would just say "cut" and be truthful about it.

Further, the second paragraph reflects yet another sad reality of today's publicly traded companies: cuts are a normal course of business. Unlike a few decades ago, cuts are a way to increase profitability, not as a last ditch effort to shore of the company when it's really hitting the fan.

This short-sightedness has not only doomed many a company, but has eroded the trust emplyees have in the company they work for:

1) Cuts to increase profit are a short term solution. You can only cut so much before you run out of stuff to cut - people included. In the end, cutting expenses won't grow your business. Coming up with products that people want badly enough to pay a price that makes a good profit is how you do it. Too many companies have gotten fat and lazy and put out products that either say "me too" or simply don't evolve enough to make people want to buy a new version. Of course, that's what you get today when the first cuts are to R&D.

2) When employees can't trust that doing their job well and being reliable and being loyal will keep them out of the cross hairs of cutbacks, they stop having that loyalty to the company. That makes them willing to jump ship for new opportunities they might normally not pursue. That creates an endless cycle of the companies and employees not caring about each other. When that loyalty goes away, the extra effort to be the best goes away.

3) Going public is step one in the failure of any company. As soon as you start selling stock, you lose the ability to run your company in the same successful way that made it desirable as a stock option in the first place. When stock holders start having a say in how your company is run, it means people with no business running your company are now running your company. It means you jump on every single desperate fad to increase the quarterly stock price, because it's all about the dividends. That lack of long term planning has doomed many a company or simply put a company into a business where no one knows exactly what they actually do anymore, kind of like IBM. Either that, or they get to the point where all their money comes from suing other companies, like TiVo.

Meanwhile, the CEO (who is likely someone who replaced the original creator of the business, long since booted out of his own company) and board of directors enrich themselves under the false idea that "we can't get high quality leadership if we don't pay for it". Meanwhile, every CEO follows the same playbook that an 8 year old could follow to destroy a name brand company in less than 20 years:

1) Follow up successful product with a new version that is simply faster with maybe one new feature that is meant to pull people in. Usually, that feature will be the "me too" feature that adds a feature everyone else has already had. Avoid spending any resources to create something new and compelling.

2) When that doesn't yield success, cut your R&D costs by eliminating R&D. If you do the above, you don't need those guys anyway, right?

2) When that doesn't work, you start cost cutting by cutting back on components and features. Fewer inputs/outputs, fewer materials, cheaper components, etc.

3) When that fails, start outsourcing your labor to save costs. Slash a bunch of jobs and send your stuff out to be made at Foxcon.

4) When people stop buying your products due to the lack of quality and move to the knock-offs, stop making anything and become a "technology services company" where people are surprised you still exist when you waste money advertising during the Super Bowl.
Corp rot is deep-seeded. No hope.

Robots can improve quality control, and even supply hints for creativity. Sadly, the balloons in charge will remain clueless.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #29997 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:

I was quite surprised when this change happened. You're completely right, in that the phrase used to be used as a short-term move, not final. "Temporary layoffs" would have been considered redundant. It's too bad that the media went along with this contemporary example of newspeak, and allowed the devolution of the language.

Quote:
Agree with this, too. During the last recession, I had approached the manager of our division about considering cutting back employee hours to avoid having anyone cut. Of course, that was not considered. A few months later 30% of our staff was dismissed. Not only had they not considered the effects on the employees, but they also hadn't considered the effects on the business. I was fortunate in that my position was eliminated, but I was assigned a different role. The new role was in a different department. I knew the person I was replacing, who had actually passed away shortly before this happened. I asked who would be training me, and they didn't know. Even I knew at that time that the two people who had been acting as the deceased employee's backup had been two of the people that they had just let go.

Yes, that's right, the only three people that knew how to do the job were all gone. There was zero forethought in the decisions that were made. I ended up leaving the division just a few months later, before the next round of cuts happened.

Quote:
This is part of it, but some of it is just ignorance. When new products that are introduced there has to be a good manufacturing plan behind it, so that the products can be scaled if needed. Some of that involves capital investment, and there have been too many cases where that wasn't considered by the R&D guys; they're more concerned with the product side, and clueless about the production side.

Quote:
This is part of a cycle that goes both ways, though. I was recently told by a manager that I was a loser for staying with the same company for over 25 years and that quality employees will only stay with a company for three to five years; any longer than that and it looks like you are only capable of doing one job and therefore unpromotable. This was a shock to me, but seeing people move up the ranks of a company, it does look like an accurate reflection of the current state of business.

Scott

post #29998 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 06:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 910
Quote:
Cancellations
A.P. Bio Cancelled at NBC
I wonder how many viewers passed on this show because, like me, they were literally nauseated by the over-the-top orange/teal color grading so very inappropriate for a sitcom, applied far more extremely than even a bad sci-fi movie.

I suspect many people would not be able to identify why they were put off by the show, or would focus on something else, but particularly on an uncalibrated display the show just looked nasty.
post #29999 of 30936 Old 05-25-2019, 07:58 PM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 2054
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
This is part of a cycle that goes both ways, though. I was recently told by a manager that I was a loser for staying with the same company for over 25 years and that quality employees will only stay with a company for three to five years; any longer than that and it looks like you are only capable of doing one job and therefore unpromotable. This was a shock to me, but seeing people move up the ranks of a company, it does look like an accurate reflection of the current state of business.

Scott

That's definitely new thinking for the most part. I recently encountered a supervisor who essentially claimed the same thing. There seemed to be no understanding that some people might like their job and want to continue to do it for as long as they can.

In my home town, there was a shoe company years ago for which the opposite was true: they wanted employees to stick with the company long term so badly, they built a ton of kit-built 4-square houses in the areas near the factories, then sold them at a few percent over cost to employees to motivate them to want to stay longer. They built parks (complete with carousels and schools and theaters and held outdoor concerts every summer for the employees to attend for free,

The result was, the employees became so loyal that when the unions came in wanted to organize employees, the vote was "no" by a landslide. No one wanted to destroy what they had.

Unfortunately, the company, in the end, couldn't compete with the cheap import shoes and the last factory closed about 35 years ago when trade opened up as the cold war began winding down.

However, despite the factories being gone now, all those houses, parks and carousels are still there, being enjoyed by people who someday won't remember how good it was when loyalty was a two-way street.
post #30000 of 30936 Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Syndication)
Record-breaking champion James Holzhauer crosses $2 million total on Jeopardy!
By Tyler Aquilina, EW.com - May 24, 2019

James Holzhauer keeps on rolling through Jeopardy! records, and he just passed another one. With his 27th win on the show on Friday, Holzhauer’s total winnings have surpassed $2 million — $2,065,535 to be exact.

Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, is only the second person in Jeopardy! history to earn more than $2 million in non-tournament play. The first, of course, was the legendary Ken Jennings, who still holds the longest winning streak on the show with 74 wins. Holzhauer, who has been racking up money much more quickly, is rapidly approaching Jennings’ $2,520,700 total, the record for regular-season winnings. (Brad Rutter holds the record for all-time winnings, with tournaments included, at $4,688,440.)

Holzhauer’s winning streak has been a boon for Jeopardy!, whose ratings recently hit a 14-year high. So far he has broken the single-game record for winnings twice, and earned more than $100,000 in a single game (which he is the only person to have done) five times. The show wrapped shooting on the current season in April, so it’s possible his streak could extend into next season.

Trebek — who announced his stage four cancer diagnosis earlier this year — has asssured fans he will remain as host when the show returns for its 36th season in September.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/24/jeopard...ses-2-million/
aaronwt and Nayan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page