Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 1006 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13695Likes

post #30151 of 30976 Old 06-03-2019, 07:11 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1168 Post(s)
Liked: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
James' final wager was so out of character and a total surprise. He would still have lost by a $1 had he gone all in, but he didn't know how much she was going to bid. A part of me thinks he wanted Ken's money total to stand.
I made a comment about his small bet in my spoiler posting about the show. I figured that he knew he had very little chance of winning. He probably figured she would bet it all, so his bet meant nothing.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30152 of 30976 Old 06-03-2019, 07:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
And it hasn’t yet aired on the west coast. There should be a Jeopardy thread then we wouldn’t have specific spoilers in this thread.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that once it airs in the ET/CT areas, it is no longer a spoiler.

post #30153 of 30976 Old 06-03-2019, 07:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought that once it airs in the ET/CT areas, it is no longer a spoiler.
That may be true in a show specific thread but this thread covers a broad category of shows. If there were a Jeopardy thread, or any other show thread, that hasn’t aired on the west coast I specifically stay out of that thread until I have seen the show. Showing results in this thread before everyone has a chance to see the original showing in their time zone is a definite spoiler.

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30154 of 30976 Old 06-03-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
NY Post, AP, TVWeek
Sony Furious About Leaked Video of Tonight’s ‘Jeopardy!’ (Spoiler Alert)
Jun 3, 2019

https://www.tvweek.com/tvbizwire/201...spoiler-alert/

Just so you know, I was not the one that posted the video. Another BUDhead must have. Either that, or someone at a station pulled the video off the PitchBlue server and posted it.
The "spoiler alert" in the headline hardly helps. The rest of the headline pretty much gives away what happened. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm not that angry about the spoiler. But, in the future, posters should show some courtesy.
scottiemon likes this.
post #30155 of 30976 Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGA$$TV View Post
The "spoiler alert" in the headline hardly helps. The rest of the headline pretty much gives away what happened. I haven't watched it yet, but I'm not that angry about the spoiler. But, in the future, posters should show some courtesy.
It seems that this story was reported a lot, so it might have been hard to not see it in various media. What I posted was very much HOTP.

post #30156 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 12:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
James' final wager was so out of character and a total surprise. He would still have lost by a $1 had he gone all in, but he didn't know how much she was going to bid. A part of me thinks he wanted Ken's money total to stand.
Not a surprise at all: it was exactly correct Jeop strategy. Here he explains: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/03/why-...-jeopardy.html
aaronwt and RemyM like this.
post #30157 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 04:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
Quote:
That may be true in a show specific thread but this thread covers a broad category of shows. If there were a Jeopardy thread, or any other show thread, that hasn’t aired on the west coast I specifically stay out of that thread until I have seen the show. Showing results in this thread before everyone has a chance to see the original showing in their time zone is a definite spoiler.
Under normal circumstances I would agree. When I saw the leaked results early yesterday morning, I was not happy. But as the day went on it got a lot of coverage, so much so, I thought the entire country would have seen or heard about the leaked results and it wouldn't matter if comments were posted. I apologize if my post ruined the night for any of you.

"If you want to know what you think of yourself, then ask yourself what you think of others, and you will find your answer" - Seth
post #30158 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 04:31 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1206 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:
This is the correct answer.

Unless a show specific thread has a no spoiler policy, once the show is released to the East Coast, no spoiler tags are necessary in the show specific threads.

However, in HOTP, general threads or other show threads where people might not be expecting spoilers about a specific show, spoiler tags should always be used to ensure people can avoid the show thread and the spoilers within, and not be spoiled in another thread.

The idea is that people should be able to come into a thread like HOTP and safely read the latest news or go into another show thread without encountering a spoiler they were avoiding by staying out of the dedicated show thread.
post #30159 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 04:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Or if you know something like this is going on try to avoid this thread, and all other media for that matter.
post #30160 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
Or if you know something like this is going on try to avoid this thread, and all other media for that matter.
Or, people could simply follow the very simple rules we all agreed on in regards to spoilers. Otherwise, where does it end?

It's one thing to avoid this thread when something big like this is going on, but if anything can be spoiled, it would mean always having to avoid news threads like HOTP to avoid any possibility of even small spoilers for shows with lesser followings.

It's about courtesy to others, which is something we could use a bit more of these days.

We're all enthusiasts here, otherwise why would we be here? We should endeavor to afford everyone the opportunity to have the same enjoyment of entertainment regardless of their viewing schedule by avoiding spoilers in threads outside of those specifically for that piece of entertainment.

I don't think that's a lot to ask.
post #30161 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 06:00 AM

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
We're all enthusiasts here, otherwise why would we be here? We should endeavor to afford everyone the opportunity to have the same enjoyment of entertainment regardless of their viewing schedule by avoiding spoilers in threads outside of those specifically for that piece of entertainment.

I don't think that's a lot to ask.
Quite right, though I recognize that the spoiler post was not malicious. I expect that the poster simply didn't consider the time zone factor -- a common failing for many of us EST dwellers.

As it worked out, Sony probably should wait until the final count is in before getting all up in arms about the leak. It shouldn't have happened, but if it hadn't I personally wouldn't have watched last night's program. Nothing against Mr. Winning-streak, but I had grown tired of seeing the same show every night for over a month. When Ken Jennings was playing the threat that he could lose was always present. He often didn't get the Final Jeopardy question right, and his margins were slim. That kept the series entertaining.

Knowing ahead of time that the long-time champion was going to lose prompted me to tune in live so I could so how the whole game played out. Ms. Boettcher beat Mr. Holzhauer at his own game, and it was an exciting romp. I'll be watching again to see how enduring her strategy is.
Nayan likes this.

--
Dan Shane
LG 65EF9500 & LG 65UH8500

God gave us two eyes for a reason.
post #30162 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 06:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
And it hasn’t yet aired on the west coast. There should be a Jeopardy thread then we wouldn’t have specific spoilers in this thread.
There is a thread, but it hasn't had a post in over 3 years.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hd...rdy-hd-14.html
post #30163 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlshane View Post
Quite right, though I recognize that the spoiler post was not malicious. I expect that the poster simply didn't consider the time zone factor -- a common failing for many of us EST dwellers.
I certainly didn't think so either. I was more making the point that we should try to keep this stuff in mind when we post because it makes the place more enjoyable for everyone, regardless of where they live or when they get home from work.

I get that there are some people that always want to know plots and results ASAP and don't care if things are spoiled. Heck, Soap Opera fans have entire magazines that dish on what will be happening, who will be joining or leaving the cast, etc.

I never got how that made it more enjoyable to watch the show, though. The result is, I tend to fight a bit harder to keep spoilers where they belong since I dislike them so much.
CHeath and scottiemon like this.
post #30164 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3077 Post(s)
Liked: 2557
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
For the record, James Holzhauer's loss on Monday's "Jeopardy!" was leaked online over the weekend and picked by news sources (particularly the NY Times) as an item by Monday morning. Once a subject hits the news it's fair game for "HOTP" with a proper spoiler warning. While updating "HOTP" on Monday I chose to not post it, given the interest on the subject matter. But if I had posted a "Jeopardy!" item I would have spoiler-proofed it.

TV Notes (Syndication)
James Holzhauer's historic 'Jeopardy!' winning streak is over
By AJ Willingham, CNN.com - Jun. 4, 2019

(CNN)James Holzhauer's historic "Jeopardy!" winning streak came to an end Monday night -- and it wasn't even a wrong answer that undid him.

Holzahauer was this close to breaking the all-time "Jeopardy!" earnings record, but he fell short in his 33rd straight game -- even though he had the right answer.

Holzhauer entered Monday night's Final Jeopardy! round trailing opponent Emma Boettcher $23,400 to her $26,600. He needed her to get the answer wrong in order to win, but both correctly answered the final question about 16th-century English playwright Christopher "Kit" Marlowe.

Holzahauer wagered $1,399.

Boettcher's bet of $20,201 was enough to win regardless of what Holzhauer bet.

News of his streak-breaking loss made the rounds on Monday morning thanks to a leaked taping of the episode. The rumors were compounded by early airings of the show. "Jeopardy!" typically doesn't air until the evening, but due to programming schedules, some local stations air episodes in the afternoons.

As the news spread, Holzhauer himself joked about the outcome.

"Knew I shouldn't have invited Drake to the Jeopardy taping," he wrote Monday afternoon. (The rapper is known for keeping company with athletes who then mysteriously suffer critical sports upsets.)

Holzhauer has won more than $2 million over this 32-game "Jeopardy!" winning streak, but even that pile of prize cash probably won't dull the full sting of Monday night's loss.

If he had won, Holzhauer would have broken the $2,520,700 non-tournament earnings record set by "Jeopardy!" legend Ken Jennings all the way back in 2004.

Holzhauer will return to the Jeopardy! stage for the next edition of the Tournament of Champions.

CNN's Andrew Fader contributed to this report.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/03/enter...rnd/index.html
bobby94928 and CHeath like this.

Last edited by dad1153; 06-04-2019 at 09:14 AM.
post #30165 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Streaming)
‘Dead To Me’ Renewed For Season 2 By Netflix
By Dino-Ray Ramos, Deadline.com - Jun. 3, 2019

The Netflix series Dead to Me will live on. The streaming giant announced that the dark comedy starring Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini has been renewed for a second season. The news was announced Monday night during the show’s FYSee panel in Los Angeles.

Created by Liz Feldman (2 Broke Girls), Dead to Me centers on Jen (Applegate), a sardonic widow determined to solve her husband’s recent hit-and-run murder, and Judy (Cardellini) an optimistic free spirit who’s recently suffered her own tragic loss. When the two women meet at a support group, they become unlikely friends, despite their polar-opposite personalities. But as they bond over bottles of wine, Entenmann’s cookies and a shared affinity for The Facts of Life, Judy desperately tries to shield Jen from a shocking secret that could destroy her life as she knows it.

The show also stars James Marsden, Ed Asner and Brandon Scott. After debuting on May 3, it was slotted as Netflix’s No. 1 show in the UK.

Feldman will serve as showrunner and executive producer on Season 2. The show is produced by CBS Television Studios for Netflix. Executive producers are Jessica Elbaum from Gloria Sanchez Productions, Will Ferrell, Adam McKay, Christie Smith and Applegate.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/dead-to...-2-1202626336/
Aliens likes this.
post #30166 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by grittree View Post
But what did Sun Tzu say?
"If your opponent is choleric temper, irritate him."

post #30167 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
Christmas Is Coming Very Early to Hallmark This Year
By Amanda Bell, TVGuide.com - Jun. 3, 2019

Hallmark is getting way ahead of the Christmas game this year with its new film releases. so fans better get ready to celebrate the spirit of the holiday season two seasons earlier than usual.

As detailed by Entertainment Weekly, the network will release two brand new mistletoe movies this summer, long before Santa has even had a chance to finish his naughty and nice list.

The first, titled Christmas Camp, centers on an advertising executive (portrayed by Lily Anne Harrison) who goes to the eponymous Christmas Camp to woo a toy company account and makes acquaintances — and maybe more — with the camp owner's son (played by Bobby Campo). That film will be released on Hallmark Movies & Mysteries on July 7 at 9/8c, nearly half a year before Christmas, and it will be part of a full slate of "Gold Crown Christmas" content, surrounded by reruns of old favorite films in the holiday tradition.

Then, A Merry Christmas Match will come next to bring us the story of Corey (played by Ashley Newbrough), who has a quiet life at a ski resort and antique shop but is left to wonder if she was meant for more after meeting Ryder (Kyle Dean Massey). That film will arrive on the Hallmark Channel on July 13 at 9/8c and will help launch the channel's "Keepsake Christmas" event as well.

Christmas Camp and A Merry Christmas Match are just two of the 40 Christmas movies Hallmark is planning for this year, so strap in. This is gonna be a very busy sleigh ride.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/christm...ark-this-year/
post #30168 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Mobile)
MTV Rebooting Punk'd and Singled Out
By Andy Swift, TVLine.com - Jun. 3, 2019

MTV is ushering two more classic series into the 21st century. “Reinvented” versions of celebrity prank show Punk’d and dating game show Singled Out are in the works at MTV Studios, TVLine has learned.

But there are a few twists: First, each episode — of which 20 have been ordered for both series — will be under 10 minutes in length. And rather than airing on MTV, these reboots will be available to stream on Quibi, a “mobile-first media technology platform.”

Hosted by Ashton Kutcher, the original Punk’d aired from 2003 to 2007, infamously terrorizing household names like Justin Timberlake and Frankie Muniz. (Come on, Malcolm in the Middle was huge at the time!) And the original Singled Out, whose co-hosts included Chris Hardwick, Jenny McCarthy and Carmen Electra, ran from 1995 to 1998. Each episode involved a contestant narrowing down a pool of 50 potential dates to find their perfect match.

Singled Out will be produced by MTV Studios, while Punk’d will be produced by STXtelevision, though MTV Studios will also remain involved.

And these are hardly the only MTV properties being reworked for new audiences. In addition to The Hills: New Beginnings, which premieres later this month, MTV recently revived A Double Shot at Love, this time starring Vinny Guadagnino and DJ Pauly D of Jersey Shore — another recently revived property. The network is also prepping a Real World revival (on Facebook Watch), as well as a possible return of Daria.

https://tvline.com/2019/06/04/punkd-...-new-episodes/
post #30169 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:10 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Streaming)
Jurassic World reopens its gates for animated Camp Cretaceous Netflix series in 2020
By Piya Sinha-Roy, EW.com - Jun. 4, 2019

Hold on to your butts! Jurassic World is reopening its gates for a new animated Netflix series that’ll follow a group of adventuring teens left behind on Isla Nublar after the dinosaurs go wild.

Set in the aftermath of 2015’s Jurassic World movie starring Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard, DreamWorks Animation’s Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous follows six teenagers stranded behind at an adventure camp on the other side of the island. Their experience takes a turn for the dangerous when they’re left behind with the escaped dinosaurs and have to come together to survive the wild prehistoric creatures.

The series comes from the creative minds of Jurassic Park and Jurassic World, executive produced by Steven Spielberg, Frank Marshall, and Colin Trevorrow. Scott Kreamer and Lane Lueras are the showrunners of the new series and also executive producers.

Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous is expected to debut on Netflix in 2020. No word yet on the voice cast, but here’s hoping Jeff Goldblum will once again reprise his role as Dr. Ian Malcolm.
Jurassic Park 90S GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Take a peek at the teaser trailer below… if you dare. [CLICK LINK]

https://ew.com/tv/2019/06/04/jurassi...ceous-netflix/
post #30170 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Syndication)
‘Jeopardy!’ producer: ‘Appropriate’ action planned in leak of James Holzhauer’s loss
By Emily Yahr, Washington Post - Jun. 4, 2019

This past weekend, “Jeopardy!” executive producer Harry Friedman was looking forward to Monday, when millions of viewers would eagerly tune in to see whether phenom James Holzhauer would break champion Ken Jennings’s record winnings. Holzhauer only needed about $59,000, so it seemed like a distinct possibility.

Then, Sunday afternoon, Friedman and his fellow producers received disturbing news. Somehow, someone had “pirated” the feed of the episode and a clip leaked on the Internet that showed Holzhauer losing in dramatic fashion, as he fell just short of the $2.5 million that Jennings won over 74 games in 2004.

“Somebody alerted us that they had seen it on YouTube. By the time we saw it, it already had 2,000 views,” Friedman said in an interview. The footage quickly spread to other social media sites.

“I feel bad for the viewers. It’s not fair,” he continued. “I’m not sure what’s gained by doing something like that, other than some malicious intent. It doesn’t really benefit anybody.”

As the clip circulated, headlines about possible “Jeopardy!” spoilers started popping up on various websites and blogs Sunday — although producers wouldn’t verify if the footage was accurate. Late Monday morning, after the show’s first broadcast aired in Montgomery, Ala., outlets including The Washington Post and New York Times published stories, with carefully crafted headlines and “spoiler” warnings, confirming that the clip was from that day’s episode and that Holzhauer had lost.

While Friedman said he “can’t say at this point” who posted the footage, producers have a good idea of what happened. “We think we know where and who and how,” he said, adding that the show will take “very, very, very appropriate” action against those responsible.

Nonetheless, Friedman was happy to see the excited response Monday from fans who were captivated by Holzhauer’s astonishing run. As a professional sports gambler, Holzhauer’s hardball tactics of vacuuming up the highest-value clues and wagering huge amounts on Daily Double and Final Jeopardy became must-see TV.

“I think it reinforces that excellence really has no limit, and that there are different ways to play the game,” Friedman said. “But your strategy is only as good as your ability to come up with the correct response once you hit that signaling button.”

Holzhauer typically had no problem with either the buzzer or knowing the answers, though he was bested on the episode broadcast Monday by Emma Boettcher, a University of Chicago librarian who won by nearly $22,000. Friedman, who has been executive producer since 1999, described Holzhauer as a bit “shell shocked” that his “Jeopardy!” run was finally over.

Seeing him leave was an emotional experience, Friedman said, as the crew all got to know him over the weeks on the show. Even host Alex Trebek got choked up at the end of the episode.

Meanwhile, given that Holzhauer’s streak happened when spoilers of all kinds run rampant on social media, Friedman was grateful the results weren’t leaked much earlier. After all, although contestants have to sign nondisclosure agreements, the hundreds in the studio audience are simply asked not to tell the results.

“We were pleased and surprised that nothing leaked out before this past weekend. I think that speaks for the respect that people in studio audience have for the show,” Friedman said. “That part of it was very much appreciated.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...=.15a2986a701b
post #30171 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Business Notes (Mobile)
Why does my iPhone screen crack so easily and what should I do now?
By Jefferson Graham, USA Today

From his perch at Jet City Device Repair in Chicago, store manager Neal Dexter wants you to know something about broken phones: It's not you.

There's a reason so many of us are cracking phone screens seemingly more than ever. They don't make them like they used to.

As smartphones got bigger, yet thinner, they've become "super fragile and easy to break," he says. "The new ones are so delicate."

The smartphone industry is grappling with stagnate growth, as consumers began to balk in 2017 and 2018 at the ever-increasing prices of phones, which now start in the $900 to $1,100 range for top of the line Apple and Samsung models.

At the same time, Jet City, the uBreakiFix national chain and other stores are seeing a rush of iPhone 7s from customers, a phone that was first released in 2016.

"It's super popular right now," for repairs, says Justin Wetherill, the CEO of uBreakiFix, as a phone people like, and are willing to spend $86 to get it fixed (compared to $149 from Apple) and extend its life.

The big question for many consumers is where to go to fix their phones, Apple, via its Apple Stores, or local retail repair shops, from the kiosk at a shopping mall to the neighborhood strip mall.

Owners of an iPhone XS Max, the latest model, don't have much of a choice. uBreakiFix and most independent stores won't repair it because of the wholesale cost of the glass. Apple charges $329 for repairs on the Max unless you have Apple Care, Apple's warranty program, which costs $200 for a two-year warranty, plus a $29 deductible to get the screen fixed.

Shop owners we spoke to like Dexter say that paying insurance is throwing money down the drain. "It's not cost-effective to get Apple Care," says Rob Link, a Virginia-based blogger and former repair pro. "It's always cheaper to get the repair."

Consumer Reports, in looking at the issue, was neutral. "if you’re a fumblefingers or just prone to bad luck, AppleCare+ coverage is probably a better deal for you than it may be for others."

Try some basic math, however. Apple Care for the iPhone 8, a model from 2017, costs $129, and a repair would cost $149 without the insurance or $29 with it, so the Apple Care bill would be $158. The uBreakiFix stores charge $86 to repair the iPhone 8.

Bigger, newer models are a different story. Apple charges $329 for the Max, $279 for the XS and X, and $199 for the XR. Consumers also can't just drop in to the store, leave their phones and come back when they're ready. They need to make an appointment in the Apple app and hope they're free when the "Genius" can see them.

"I've cracked so many screens," says Chris MacAskill, who runs the Cake online forum in Mountain View, California. "If you're active, it's so easy to do. I just can't bring myself to make an appointment at the Apple store, fight the crowds, and have them tell me why my repair isn't covered under AppleCare and it will cost a fortune. Twice bitten..."

And for the record, Apple senior vice-president Phil Schiller, in introducing the latest iPhone models, the XS and XS Max in September 2018, said the phones had "the most durable glass ever in a smartphone." Apple declined to comment for this article.

What is not up for debate is that if people take a little more precaution, their phones will last longer and perhaps not crack as easily.

"I tell every person before they walk out of here to get some form of screen protection," says Brian Caponi, who runs the CPR (Cell Phone Repair) shop in Highland Park, Illinois. "And a good, really strong case, not something flimsy with cute colors, but something that actually protects the phone."

He likes the $50 tempered glass protector by ZAGG and cases by Otterbox or Speck.

"You're spending $1,000 on these things," he says. "It pays to be careful."

This much is a given: Manufacturers like Apple and Samsung will continue to beef up their phones with new features, but the one consumers care most about – an indestructible screen – isn't likely to be a reality.

"They don't want to make that kind of phone," says Dexter. "Then people would stop upgrading. The more phones break, the more opportunities they have to sell new phones."

That's a popular sentiment, but on an earnings call with investors in January, Apple CEO Tim Cook denied that Apple made phones that weren't built to last.

"We do design our products to last as long as possible," he said. "Some people hold on to those for the life of the product, and some people trade them in, and then that phone is then redistributed to someone else. I'm convinced that making a great product that is high quality is the best thing for the customer and we work for the user, and so that's the way that we look at it."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...ly/1227024001/
post #30172 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
TV Ratings: 'The Bachelorette' Hits Season Highs
By Rick Porter, The Hollywood Reporter - Jun. 4, 2019

The Bachelorette scored season highs in Monday's ratings, jumping significantly over last week's numbers.

The show's 1.5 rating among adults 18-49 was a 36 percent improvement over the 1.1 it posted Memorial Day. The Bachelorette also topped 5 million viewers for the first time this season, averaging 5.49 million over its two hours (up from 4.67 million a week ago). A repeat of Celebrity Family Feud also scored well at 10 p.m. with a 0.8 in the 18-49 demographic.

Game 4 of the NHL's Stanley Cup Finals posted a 3.8 household rating in metered markets for NBC, up slightly from the series opener (3.7) a week ago. (Games 2 and 3 aired on NBC Sports Network.)

Monday's contest is the highest-rated game of this year's Stanley Cup playoffs so far. NBC will have at least two more games to broadcast Thursday and Sunday, as the seven-game series between the Boston Bruins and St. Louis Blues is tied at 2-2.

Fox's So You Think You Can Dance opened its 16th season with a 0.7 in adults 18-49 and 2.7 million viewers, on par with its same-day averages from a year ago. Beat Shazam also drew a 0.7, along with 2.85 million viewers; both figures are up a little week to week. CBS' The Code scored a 0.5 and 4.6 million viewers; reruns filled the rest of the network's lineup.

NBC led the night among adults 18-49 with a 1.4 rating, pending updates for its live hockey broadcast. ABC finished second at 1.2, followed by Fox at 0.7. CBS and Telemundo averaged 0.5, Univision 0.4 and The CW 0.1 with a pair of reruns.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...3-2019-1215478
post #30173 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Nielsen Notes (Cable)
‘Property Brothers: Forever Home’ Posts HGTV’s Highest-Rated Series Premiere in More Than 2 Years
By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - Jun. 3, 2019

The Property Bros. — Jonathan and Drew Scott — finally have a hit TV show. That’s sarcasm, of course, as the twins and stars of “Property Brothers: Forever Home” are all over HGTV and the Nielsen ratings sheets.

With a 0.84 rating among adults 25-54, “Property Brothers: Forever Home” scored the popular cable channel’s highest-rated series premiere since March 2017. That number is inclusive of three days’ worth of delayed viewing.

That L+3 Nielsen number was 56% better for HGTV’s Wednesday 9-10 p.m. time slot versus its previous six-week average. “Property Brothers: Forever Home” bowed to 3.7 million viewers.

In “Property Brothers: Forever Home,” Jonathan and Drew Scott are on a new mission to overhaul unremarkable houses into dream homes that the families will never want to leave. To unlock each home’s full potential, Jonathan and Drew completely remodel the house to suit the families’ needs and wishes.

For those who have not witnessed the Scott Brothers slowly but surely building their empire, Jonathan is the contractor and Drew is the real-estate agent. In addition to their many television shows, Jonathan and Drew are both all over your flat screen pitching Chase Bank and ADT.

“Property Brothers: Forever Home” is produced by Scott Brothers Entertainment, with Jonathan and Drew as executive producers.

https://www.thewrap.com/property-bro...-home-ratings/
post #30174 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Syndication)
How Emma Boettcher Beat James Holzhauer on ‘Jeopardy!’
By Julia Jacobs, The New York Times - Jun. 4, 2019

Before Emma Boettcher arrived at the “Jeopardy!” studio in California on a Tuesday in March, she hadn’t heard of James Holzhauer.

Boettcher, a 27-year-old librarian at the University of Chicago, did not know that the contestant she would soon face had already won 32 games, amassed $2.46 million and established himself as one of the game show’s greatest players of all time. Games are prerecorded, usually five in one day; Holzhauer’s first win would not air until April 4.

“It was weird to be a daily watcher of ‘Jeopardy!’ and somehow there’s this phenomenon that I’d never heard of,” Boettcher said in an interview last week. (The interview was conducted before the episode aired under the condition it not be published until Monday.)

[After 33 games, James Holzhauer is defeated on “Jeopardy!”]

Holzhauer was working to beat one particular record: the highest all-time winnings during regular-season game play, a title held by Ken Jennings, who won $2.52 million during 74 games in 2004. At the rate Holzhauer was going, it seemed possible for him to surpass Jennings’s mark during the first game recorded on March 12, when Boettcher arrived along with about a dozen other contestants who were prepared to play that day.

“I was holding out a small sliver of hope that maybe one of these other people in the room that I’m with will get called up first,” Boettcher said.

But as the first game was coming together, Boettcher’s name was called.

A master’s paper on “Jeopardy!” clues

As a book and theater lover growing up outside Philadelphia, Boettcher first tried out for “Jeopardy!” in high school. As she continued to chase her goal, her father, Kevin Boettcher, bought her books on topics that she needed to bone up on, such as sports.

After finishing college at Princeton, she went to graduate school at the University of North Carolina, where she studied information science. While there, Boettcher decided to write her master’s paper on her longtime obsession with a certain game show.

In her 70-page final paper, Boettcher explored whether certain characteristics of a “Jeopardy!” clue could predict its difficulty level. She said she wanted to determine if a computer could predict whether a clue was easy or difficult based on the words it was using or the length of the clue. In essence, she was asking if there was a material difference between a $200 clue and a $1,000 clue.

Boettcher included nearly 22,000 different “Jeopardy!” clues in the analysis. She concluded, among other things, that the number of component phrases in a clue could help a computer predict its difficulty level. She said the paper helped her understand what makes people perceive language as easy to read, a concept that applies to her current job, where she tries to ensure that the library’s website and catalog are user-friendly for university students and faculty.

Meanwhile, she kept trying to get on “Jeopardy!” and after four in-person auditions, Boettcher got the call asking her to appear.

“When she wants something, she is very focused,” her father said.

Boettcher prepared for her appearance by simulating the experience of a “Jeopardy!” contestant. Each day, she would stand several feet from the television, pretending that she was standing behind the studio’s podium.

Boettcher would hold a pen in her hand, clicking it when she had the answer to one of Alex Trebek’s clues. She soon realized that a pen was too skinny, and a toilet-paper holder would work better as a stand-in for the “Jeopardy!” buzzer. She wore different shoes to figure out which pair would be the most comfortable for standing. And she recorded her scores in a notebook, trying to figure out her weak spots on the board.

A winning strategy

In the studio, Boettcher stood behind the podium with a real buzzer in her hand. She was on one end, with another contestant standing between her and Holzhauer, a professional gambler from Las Vegas who was running out of personal facts to share with Trebek during the episode’s round of small talk.

“I was trying just not to dwell on it,” Boettcher said of Holzhauer’s dominance. “I had already steeled myself to expect the unexpected, just roll with whatever was happening, take one clue at a time.”

The game started as usual for Holzhauer: with him going straight for the high-value clues, hunting for the Daily Doubles and betting everything he could when he found them. Boettcher had never seen his strategy in action, but she said she knew that players with his level of success typically deployed similar tactics.

Holzhauer’s ease making large bets was one reason for his success. His opponents did not always have the same affinity for risk-taking. But Boettcher, who had calculated her rate of accuracy with Daily Doubles while watching at home, felt confident enough to go all in.

When Boettcher hit on a Daily Double, she wagered everything she had, $7,600. Boettcher got the clue right, and she felt like she was back in the game.

By Final Jeopardy, Boettcher was ahead of both her opponents. She felt confident that she had the answer right (it related to Shakespeare, and she had been an English major), and she knew she had wagered enough to come out on top. But it didn’t quite feel real yet.

“I don’t think I felt like I won until Alex said so,” she said.

After her victory, Boettcher said she had to begin preparing for the next game and did not get to have much of a conversation with Holzhauer. (To calm herself, she sang out loud the music from “Natasha, Pierre & the Great Comet of 1812” until the next game.)

Later, Boettcher said, Holzhauer emailed to congratulate her and offer some insight from his weeks in the spotlight. In an email to The New York Times, Holzhauer said he told Boettcher to expect a lot of attention and advised her to have a “game plan to get what she wants out of it.”

In an interview, Holzhauer commended Boettcher for playing a “perfect game.” All three contestants played impressive games, in fact. Neither Boettcher nor Holzhauer answered a single clue incorrectly, including the Final Jeopardy clue: The line “A great reckoning in a little room” in “As You Like It” is usually taken to refer to this author’s premature death. (The correct response: Who is Marlowe?)

“As soon as the game was over,” Boettcher said, “I turned to the guys and I said, ‘I’m so proud of us. This is so rare. Look at what we did.’”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/03/a...-jeopardy.html
post #30175 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

No political comments, please.

TV/Nielsen Notes (Cable)

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says it’s time to regulate Big Tech
By Makena Kelly, TheVerge.com - Jun. 4, 2019

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) is ready to take on tech companies, saying in a tweet Monday night that “the era of self-regulation is over.”

The tweet comes only a few days after a distorted video of the speaker caught fire on social media causing an uproar among lawmakers who requested platforms, like Facebook, take down the false video. YouTube removed it, Facebook added a new menu directing users to “additional coverage,” and Twitter let it stand on President Donald Trump’s own account.

“Today, everything is connected to the Internet; it is the foundation on which our economy, democracy & attention rest,” Pelosi said. “Unwarranted, concentrated economic power in the hands of a few is dangerous to democracy – especially when digital platforms control content. The era of self-regulation is over,” Pelosi said.

Pelosi — whose district, CA-12, covers San Francisco and a number of tech headquarters — rarely makes policy comments that run the risk of dividing her caucus. Yet, it appears that both Republicans and Democrats are ready to take a closer look at Silicon Valley’s market dominance, after the House Judiciary Committee announced Monday that it would be launching a bipartisan investigation into companies like Facebook and Google. The antitrust sub-panel chair, Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI) hinted at a probe of this scale for a few months, sending letters to agencies like the Federal Trade Commission prompting officials to open their own investigations into Facebook’s market power.

Now both the Justice Department and the FTC appear to be preparing antitrust probes, and Congress will be heading their own as well. Over the weekend, reports surfaced that the FTC would have the authority to look into Facebook and Amazon, and the Justice Department would have jurisdiction over Google and Apple. Congress looks to be setting up a more wide-ranging investigation into the business practices of tech companies in order to assess whether new antitrust legislation should be proposed that is better-suited for Big Tech. Over in the Senate, lawmakers have been attempting to craft an overarching data privacy bill, but it’s unclear when (or if) it will be introduced or what it will even contain.

The committee “will begin a long overdue investigation to determine if dominant digital platforms have harmed Americans in the marketplace & the voting booth,” Pelosi said.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/4/18...e-amazon-apple
post #30176 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

TV Review (Streaming)
‘Tales of the City’: A Revival That Keeps Up With the Times
Netflix’s update of the Armistead Maupin classic brings back favorite characters — and brings its LGBTQ stories into a brave new world
By Alan Sepinwall, Rolling Stone - Jun. 4, 2019

When Armistead Maupin began writing Tales of the City — his serialized, sudsy stories about life in San Francisco in the late Seventies — the central character was a very naive, very straight Midwestern girl, Mary Ann Singleton. Mary Ann served as a point-of-entry figure for readers unversed in queer fiction, just as Laura Linney’s portrayal of Mary Ann did the same in 1993’s acclaimed PBS adaptation of the first Tales book. (Two additional miniseries were produced for Showtime over the next decade, with diminishing returns.)

The times, they have changed — for both Mary Ann and for LGBTQ stories in general. The community has evolved greatly, as have depictions of them on the page and screen. Mary Ann is still an important part of Netflix’s 10-episode Tales sequel series, from Orange Is the New Black writer Lauren Morelli. But in a sign of how far we’ve come in the relative prominence and variety of queer stories on television, this new Tales largely treats her as the annoying (if usually well-meaning) interloper in everyone else’s story. (She is to this show what Piper is to Orange.)

The new series splits its allegiance between characters old and new. Olympia Dukakis is back as Anna Madrigal, the trans landlady of the colorful rooming house on Barbary Lane so central to the action. After sitting out the Showtime sequels, Paul Gross (now sporting ghost-white hair and jet-black eyebrows that combine to make him resemble Sam the Eagle) reprises his role as Mary Ann’s promiscuous ex Brian, while Looking’s Murray Bartlett becomes the latest actor to play Mary Ann’s best friend Michael (a.k.a. Mouse), who taught her so much about gay culture back in the day. And Barbara Garrick is a treat once again as eccentric heiress DeDe Halcyon, who’s been through many evolutions since we last saw her.

When a new friend asks if DeDe is queer, she replies — in a line neatly summing up the difference in eras(*) — “Thirty years in San Francisco, I still have no idea what that word means. It’s like the price of oil: changes every day.”

(*) It’s best not to think too much about dates and ages. The original miniseries took place in 1976, and this one is set in the present day, but Mary Ann, Brian and Michael are all too young here to have aged 43 years in the interim.

Barbary Lane these days, though, is mostly home to a new generation. Brian and Mary Ann’s adopted daughter Shawna (Ellen Page) is tending bar and struggling to figure out what to do with her life. (She also still thinks these are her biological parents, in one of many melodramatic plot devices that do Maupin proud.) Jake (Garcia) and Margot (May Hong), meanwhile, are trying to redefine their relationship in the wake of his gender transition. (In a sign of how quickly the culture can evolve, Margot admits to a friend that she misses being part of a lesbian couple, and that she grew up dreaming that she’d have a wife and kids.) Michael still lives in the rooming house, but he spends a lot of time with his younger boyfriend Ben (Charlie Barnett from Russian Doll). And a newcomer, Claire (Zosia Mamet), turns up hoping to make a documentary about Anna and the transformation of the city over the last 50 years.

Servicing multiple generations — of both characters and viewers — proves tricky for Morelli and her collaborators. The new episodes demand a greater recall of details from the original stories than I admit I still had, despite having read all the books and seen all three minis. (I had to keep several Wikipedia tabs open throughout my binge just to follow things like Shawna’s origin story.) Michael and Ben’s relationship neatly bridges the gap between old and new — there’s a great scene where Ben argues with a roomful of Michael’s peers about their casual use of derogatory terms like “tranny,” while they guilt him for not being around while their friends were dying during the AIDS crisis — but often the different sets of characters feel too disconnected from each other. And the show’s heart ultimately seems a bit more into catching up with the original group than in exploring the same territory through fresh eyes.

But Tales could be messy and uneven back in the day, too. The parts that work outweigh the parts that don’t, then and now. An arc this time out about someone blackmailing Anna into giving away the house has an utterly cartoonish payoff, for instance. But that story also provides an excuse to do an episode-length flashback about Anna (played by Jen Richards) arriving in San Francisco as a 40-year-old just beginning her transition, and able to pass in a way that many members of the city’s burgeoning trans community at the time can’t. A big stylistic departure from the series’ usual soap opera structure, it’s easily the revival’s highlight.

But even as I rolled my eyes or scratched my head at various developments, the performances and the optimistic (and very Maupin) spirit buoyed me through the whole thing. Turning Mary Ann into everyone’s most exhausting friend allows Linney to deploy her underrated comic chops. And the arc of her relationships with Shawna, Brian, Michael and Anna gradually restores her humanity without letting her overwhelm everyone else’s stories. Even close to Anna Madrigal’s 90 years in this, Dukakis has the gravity and warmth necessary to explain what that address means to its residents (and its fans), and she has a great rapport with Victor Garber as a potentially shady new friend.

And there’s a hopefulness to the endeavor that feels as needed now as it was when the original Tales appeared in written and then televised form. For all the progress that’s been made over the years, these feel like extremely precarious times to be LGBTQ (and even more to be queer and non-white, as most of the show’s new characters are). The revival is primarily about the stories of these characters, but there’s a sense throughout that things have gotten easier in some ways and harder in others. But everyone keeps hustling, keeps trying to improve things for themselves and their loved ones, and that attitude becomes infectious.

“Beautiful things should come with beautiful endings,” Anna declares at one point. The new Tales is imperfect, but it’s beautiful enough in spots to qualify.

Tales of the City debuts June 7th on Netflix. I’ve seen all 10 episodes; ★★★1/2 (out of five)

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-r...review-842897/
post #30177 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jun. 4, 2019

WOODSTOCK: THE DIRECTOR'S CUT
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

This is one of the only worthwhile things on TV tonight – but at four hours long, it should fill the bill. This expanded 1994 version of the classic Woodstock documentary, originally released in 1970 as a visual record of the seminal 1969 rock concert, makes room for additional performances, including more by Janis Joplin, Jefferson Airplane, and Canned Heat. Other performers include Richie Havens, Joan Baez, The Who, Arlo Guthrie, Country Joe McDonald, a seminal set by Joe Cocker, and, in one of their first gigs together in front of an audience, Crosby, Stills & Nash. As always when experiencing Woodstock in any form, and especially with Michael Wadleigh’s Director’s Cut, turn the volume up loud – and stay away from the brown acid.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

TV Review (Cable)
Explore the Dusty Noir of ‘Perpetual Grace LTD’
By Roger Catlin, TVWorthWatching.com's 'TV Eye' - Jun. 4, 2019

Whenever people ask for a TV recommendation, I have always offered The Patriot (streaming on Amazon Prime), Steve Conrad’s quirky, low-key but effective European spy thriller that has had a couple of seasons (though still available) and is awaiting a green light for a third.

In the meantime, Conrad takes his same sensibilities, which are rooted in deep philosophic considerations, non-conventional plot turns, and swell music into a new series I highly recommend: Perpetual Grace LTD (Epix, Sundays, 10 p.m. ET).

Yes, it has a terrible title (as did Patriot), and it was switched from the even worse Our Lady LTD. But its cast list is remarkable, even in an era of quality TV.

Jimmi Simpson, memorable from anything he’s been in, from Westworld and House of Cards to a particularly tasty episode of Black Mirror, stars as a somewhat dazed drifter, a former fireman still haunted by his last big mistake.

He runs into a guy who offers a quick buck – ripping off his own parents who themselves are apparently ripping off parishioners in a church scam – a takes him up on it. Like that other rip-off-the-parents thriller Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, it all goes wrong, in part because the parents are so formidable.

Sir Ben Kingsley seems at first miscast as a rural U.S. preacher, but he represents the kind of outsider the West attracts. Alongside him is Oscar nominee Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook). Together they are more resourceful than expected.

The supporting cast is full of delights, not the least of which is Luis Guzmán as a Mexican lawman, who goes along with the plot so he can go away with his mistress.

Terry O’Quinn is something of a Conrad mainstay because of his ability to show a reliable moral center. Here he’s a lawman investigating the son Simpson’s character is impersonating. Kurtwood Smith, who like O’Quinn was also in Patriot, is part of the cast eventually as well.

Conrad specializes in minor characters who make an impression and bring full stories with them. Among them here is a teenage pawn shop operator who is a victim of violence (which the perpetrator is very sorry about).

It was too soon to tell (from two preview episodes) what direction Perpetual Grace LTD would go next, but that’s one of the great joys of a series that at once seems the best new show of the summer and the least publicized. Will its obscurity make it even more cherished, as was, say, Rectify? Will its cult rumblings at least boost it onto wider streaming platforms? Will it attract more subscribers to Epix, whose other notable originals have included the TV adaptation of Get Shorty?

One striking thing about the series is the sweeping vistas of New Mexico, providing those awesome visuals you might have been missing since Breaking Bad ended (or at least in Better Call Saul).

I asked Conrad about the importance of the setting when he was at the TV Critics Association press tour earlier this year.

"Contemporary New Mexico feels an awful lot like the Wild West," he said. "And we’ve all spent a good deal of time there. And there’s just endemic, rampant drug use and a wildness to that place that makes you wonder if anybody’s watching. And at the same time, there is this supremely beautiful, natural world that every time you care to look up you can be dazzled by. So those two things exist in that place, and they’re important texture and fabric for our show which lives in both of those worlds – the ugliness of life down on the ground and then the splendor of the world that we share together. New Mexico is the only place to do that as well as we’re doing it."

"I feel and appreciate the landscape as Biblical," Sir Kingsley added. "All of us are rooted in very basic, simple, pure archetypes — the Bringer of Chaos, the Bringer of Reason, the Bringer of Violence, the Lost One. They’re all on this Biblical landscape which we as actors find tremendously exhilarating and releasing."

Conrad said the new series is in the tradition of the film noir genre just as Patriot was working in the traditions of a spy thriller. "But we have a new obligation," he said, in an era when a story can be told over a 10-hour expanse, which is the length of Season 1, instead of a two-hour movie, "which is to explore the possibilities of this new art form," he said. "At some point, the characters must have these reservoirs of some other element besides ‘befuddled,’ ‘in too deep.’ They must grasp some other strengths to get us to the finish line of the story."

And just as they’re trying to lure viewers in with the story, they are also trying to do so with the dusty, sepia-toned look.

"One of the things I say to our fellow filmmakers is, imagine someone walking by a television— and I would like for there to be images that arrest them," Conrad said. "Like, on their way with the laundry basket from the bedroom to the laundry, I would love for them to stop because the photography is eye-catching.

"I would like for them to wonder for a long while what year this film was created. To puzzle over that. And, I think in the moments where you can make an audience puzzle over that, they start to become absorbed in that world versus their world," he said.

To put it simply, he added, "We say, 'Does it cast a spell?' "

Likewise, the music is used to build a world, he said.

Using the same composer and musicians who worked on his earlier show, Conrad said, "It’s not as musical a show as Patriot," he says, "but there are songs that were written specifically to mine out what we think are the important elements of each episode."

All three of the leads praised the writing of the show and excitement at participating despite some of the elemental hardships.

"I have to say, in my 56 years of acting, this is one of my favorite jobs ever," said Weaver. "And I’d also like to say it’s not easy. Most of it is shot on location, and sometimes we are actually acting while the snow is coming down and there’s an umbrella over the camera. And I keep saying to myself: Imagine what they went through on The Revenant! Don’t complain!"

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=18309
post #30178 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Cable)
‘SpongeBob SquarePants’ CG-Animated Prequel Series ‘Kamp Koral’ Greenlighted By Nickelodeon
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jun. 4, 2019

EXCLUSIVE: Nickelodeon has given a 13-episode series order to Kamp Koral (working title), a spinoff of the network’s signature series SpongeBob SquarePants. While the mothership is a classic 2D cartoon, the off-shoot will be a CG-animated series, which serves as a prequel to SpongeBob. It introduces 10-year-old SpongeBob SquarePants during his summer at sleepaway camp.

Earlier this year, Nickelodeon, under new president Brian Robbins, announced that it is developing for the first time ever spinoff projects for SpongeBob SquarePants characters. Kamp Koral marks the first such project to get a green light. It is slated to begin production in June at Nickelodeon’s facilities in Burbank.

In the series, SpongeBob and his pals spend the summer building underwater campfires, catching wild jellyfish, and swimming in Lake Yuckymuck at the craziest camp in the kelp forest, Kamp Koral. SpongeBob SquarePants‘ Marc Ceccarelli and Vincent Waller co-executive produce the prequel.

“SpongeBob has an incredible universe to expand upon and the greenlight for Kamp Koral is a testament to the strength and longevity of these characters known and loved by generations of fans around the world,” said Ramsey Naito, Nickelodeon’s EVP Animation Production and Development.

So far, the creative forces behind SpongeBob had tried a CG approach to the characters in The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, the 2015 sequel to the successful live-action/2D film The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie. A third feature, The SpongeBob Movie: It’s a Wonderful Sponge, is slated for release next year.

The pickup for Kamp Koral comes on the eve of the 20th anniversary of SpongeBob SquarePants‘s debut on July 17, 1999. It will be marked with Best Year Ever, a tribute that includes an original one-hour special, SpongeBob’s Big Birthday Blowout, premiering Friday, July 12.

Created by Stephen Hillenburg and produced by Nickelodeon in Burbank, the character-driven cartoon chronicles the nautical and sometimes nonsensical adventures of SpongeBob, an incurably optimist and earnest sea sponge, and his undersea friends. While his exact age on the mothership series has never been disclosed, he is an adult who has a job and owns a (pineapple) home.

Since its launch, SpongeBob SquarePants has reigned as the number-one kids’ animated series on TV for the last 17 years, while generating a universe of beloved characters, pop culture catchphrases and memes, theatrical releases, consumer products, a Tony award-winning Broadway musical and a global fan base. SpongeBob SquarePants is the most widely distributed property in Viacom International Media Networks history, seen in more than 208 countries and territories, translated in 55+ languages, and averaging more than 100 million total viewers every quarter.

https://deadline.com/2019/06/spongeb...on-1202626441/
post #30179 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Technology Notes
Apple TV Gets Leg Up on Roku, Amazon Fire With tvOS Upgrade
By Daniel Frankel, Multichannel News - Jun. 3, 2019

Apple has announced an upgraded version of its tvOS, the operating system that powers its Apple TV OTT set-top.

The new version will support multiple profiles within the also newly upgraded Apple TV app, allowing each user in a household to have personalized recommendations within the app, as well as their own preferences and playlists within the Apple Music app.

This provides some competitive advantage over Roku and Amazon Fire TV, which don’t provide such personalization features, a least not outside of apps like Netflix that run within their respective ecosystems.

Presented at Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference Monday in Cupertino, Calif., tvOS 13 will also include support for Xbox One and PlayStation 4 game controllers.

This coincides with the launch of the new Apple Arcade subscription service, which includes more than 100 games that can be played on iPhone, iPad, Mac and Apple TV.

Apple TV is currently the third most popular streaming player in the U.S., trailing Roku and Fire TV by a wide margin.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/ap...-user-profiles
post #30180 of 30976 Old 06-04-2019, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Streaming)
Why Women Kill: Marc Cherry Dramedy Gets August Premiere at CBS All Access
By Rebecca Iannucci, TVLine.com - Jun. 4, 2019

CBS All Access will tell us Why Women Kill before summer is over: The upcoming dramedy will premiere on Thursday, Aug. 15, TVLine has learned.

New episodes will drop on a weekly basis, with installments getting released every Thursday. The show’s first season spans 10 episodes.

Created by Marc Cherry (Desperate Housewives, Devious Maids), Why Women Kill follows the lives of three women living in three different decades: a housewife in the ’60s, a socialite in the ’80s and a lawyer in 2019, each dealing with infidelity in their marriages. Per the project’s logline, the show “will examine how the roles of women have changed, but how their reaction to betrayal… has not.”

Once Upon a Time‘s Ginnifer Goodwin, Elementary‘s Lucy Liu and The Good Place‘s Kirby Howell-Baptiste will star as the central trio. Goodwin plays Beth Ann, a seemingly cheerful housewife in 1963; Liu plays elegant socialite Simone; and Howell-Baptiste plays the fiercely intelligent attorney Taylor.

“Oh my gosh, I’m doing [Why Women Kill] now and it is kicking my ass in the best way,” Goodwin recently teased to TVLine. “It’s brain-hurting fun. A creative playground, for sure… [Cherry] is a master of words. Everything is a bit more theatrical and heightened and stylized and poetic and juicy.”

The cast also includes Jack Davenport (Smash), Sam Jaeger (Parenthood), Reid Scott (Veep), Alexandra Daddario (True Detective), Sadie Calvano (Mom), Leo Howard (Kickin’ It), Alicia Coppola (The Young and the Restless) and Katie Finneran (Bloodline).

https://tvline.com/2019/06/04/why-wo...bs-all-access/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page