Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 1010 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13683Likes

post #30271 of 30948 Old 06-08-2019, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2310 Post(s)
Liked: 1791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Good luck with that pricing AT&T, in my opinion, it's too high by at least 30%. I get that they need to protect their legacy HBO contracts so they should just leave HBO separate and charge around $7 per month for the rest of the catalog.
If it runs about as well as AT&T's broadband service did around here you'll be lucky to get it sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
R.I.P.

I got to a couple of his shows here in the SF Bay Area in the 1990s. Those were really memorable!
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30272 of 30948 Old 06-08-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked: 3508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
If it runs about as well as AT&T's broadband service did around here you'll be lucky to get it sometimes.

I got to a couple of his shows here in the SF Bay Area in the 1990s. Those were really memorable!
Saw him a few times at HSB in GG Park, great shows.
Panson likes this.
post #30273 of 30948 Old 06-08-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I remember the Original Concept for the channel, 'The America's Talking Network'. Comcast gave us that after telling every one of it's customers that we all voted for it over ESPN !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/America%27s_Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
This story is too long and, frankly, a little too political for "HOTP." But it covers a cable network's attempt to diversify its on-air line-up, and that's worth reading if you're into the production side of cable news. Still...

No political comments, please.

TV Notes/Profiles (Cable)

The women of MSNBC are reshaping the television landscape
By Sridhar Pappu, Los Angeles Times - Jun. 5, 2019

[CLICK LINK BELOW]

https://www.latimes.com/business/hol...606-story.html

"There you go again..." - Good Ol' R. Reagan's favorite Troll line !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30274 of 30948 Old 06-08-2019, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1977 Post(s)
Liked: 2888
Too bad all of those "news" channels can't be put in a compactor and be done with it. Give us NBC, CBS, and ABC for 30 minutes a night and we'd all be better off.

"If you want to know what you think of yourself, then ask yourself what you think of others, and you will find your answer" - Seth
post #30275 of 30948 Old 06-08-2019, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
TV Notes (Broadcast)
Pauley Perrette 'Terrified' of NCIS Star Mark Harmon, Revives 'Assault' Claim
By Matt Webb Mitovich, TVLine.com - Jun. 7, 2019
EXCERPT
Just over a year after first cryptically alluding to “multiple physical assaults” on the NCIS set, Pauley Perrette has shed more light on her claims — and in doing do put series lead Mark Harmon in the crosshairs.
In a Friday tweet that didn’t appear to be in response to anything in particular, the NCIS alum said, “NO I AM NOT COMING BACK! EVER! (Please stop asking?) I am terrified of Harmon and him attacking me. I have nightmares about it.”
https://tvline.com/2019/06/07/ncis-p...attacking-her/
Twitter counter-attack.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #30276 of 30948 Old 06-08-2019, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Saw him a few times at HSB in GG Park, great shows.
"Dan Auerbach Remembers Dr. John: ‘He Was the Most Incredible Mutt Ever’"

Quote:
He was shuffling around the house, but he was totally decked out in his braids, and there were trinkets hanging from his cane. He was basically stage ready. He had this grand piano in the front room; probably the most horribly out-of-tune piano I had ever heard in my life.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...brance-845670/
Keenan likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B
post #30277 of 30948 Old 06-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Too bad all of those "news" channels can't be put in a compactor and be done with it. Give us NBC, CBS, and ABC for 30 minutes a night and we'd all be better off.
I'd settle for actual news and leave off the group reporting with their opinions. Too bad we can't bring back Walter Cronkite.
post #30278 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
This is why I still watch The CBS Evening News. Yes, it's the news organization I work for. But in spite of their now corrected gaff of taking Scott Pelley off the show and replacing him with Jeff Glor, it's still a fairly well constructed 22 minutes of good hard information and a feel good informational piece at the end. I know the work that goes into making sure the content presented is factual and fair. I know the CBS News standards and the self flagellation when those standards are violated. Is it perfect? No. But I do know the spirit of Murrow, Cronkite, and Rather still live in that show.
coug7669, archiguy, xnappo and 4 others like this.
post #30279 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2214 Post(s)
Liked: 2421
I watch Fox News and MSNBC for the politics gossip but that's more for entertainment than news. I mostly stick to CBS for my local news but sometimes check in with ABC and NBC. When I really want to know what's going on in the world I watch PBS Newshour.
Panson likes this.
post #30280 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
I watch Fox News and MSNBC for the politics gossip but that's more for entertainment than news. I mostly stick to CBS for my local news but sometimes check in with ABC and NBC. When I really want to know what's going on in the world I watch PBS Newshour.
I'll often watch ABC/NBC/CBS evening news back to back to back, and come away with "sameness". Pharmaceutical commercials also inundate, particularly in the second 15 minutes.

PBS Newshour is different in news and news-handling. Thinking cap required. And it's a pharmaceutical-free oasis. That said, with decades of weaving through opinion and musical chairs, I don't easily swallow the pablum of any broadcast.

"And that's the way it is."

post #30281 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Talent Agencies Increase Packaging Fee Offer to WGA as Talks Continue"

Quote:
The Writers Guild of America and Association of Talent Agents are expected to continue discussions on a new proposal that the ATA put on the table Friday at the first meeting between the sides in nearly two months.
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/wri...-2-1203236257/

post #30282 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 09:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
PBS for me.
JoeNc and Plager8 like this.
post #30283 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
Liked: 2550
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Obituary
Peggy Stewart, Leading Lady in Westerns at Republic Pictures, Dies at 95
By Mike Barnes, The Hollywood Reporter - Jun. 9, 2019

Peggy Stewart, who starred in more than 30 Westerns at Republic Pictures in the 1940s and '50s and played the object of Adam Sandler and Vanilla Ice's affection in That's My Boy, has died. She was 95.

Stewart, a resident of Valencia, California, died May 29, her family announced.

Stewart also appeared in the classic 1961 Twilight Zone episode "The Shelter," which revolved around an impending nuclear attack; played the aunt of George Costanza's (Jason Alexander) girlfriend on the iconic 1993 Seinfeld episode "The Implant"; and portrayed the grandmother of Pam Beesly (Jenna Fischer) on two installments of The Office.

In one of her final roles, she stood out as Grandma Delores, the mother of Tony Orlando's character, in the raunchy Warner Bros. comedy That's My Boy (2012), starring Sandler and Andy Samberg.

Born Peggy O'Rourke on June 5, 1923, in Palm Beach, Florida, Stewart was raised in Atlanta. On a family vacation in California, she met actor Henry O’Neill, who steered her toward the part of Joel McCrea and Frances Dee's teenage daughter in Paramount's Wells Fargo (1937).

After work in such films as Certain Age (1938) and Bette Davis' All This, and Heaven Too (1940), she signed with Republic and made her debut there in Tucson Raiders (1944), the first of several movies she did with Wild Bill Elliott as comic strip cowboy Red Ryder and Bobby (Robert) Blake as his young companion, Little Beaver.

Republic kept her busy as she starred with Roy Rogers and Gabby Hayes in Utah (1945) and with Gene Autry in Trail to San Antone (1947). She also was the female lead in serials and other films including Stagecoach to Monterey (1944), Firebrands of Arizona (1944), Oregon Trail (1945), Days of Buffalo Bill (1946), Alias Billy the Kid (1946), Rustlers of Devil's Canyon (1947) and The Pride of Maryland (1951).

After her run at Republic and a stint as a casting director at NBC, she appeared on dozens of TV shows, including The Cisco Kid; The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp; Have Gun — Will Travel; Gunsmoke; Mod Squad; Room 222; Blake's Baretta; Emergency!; The A-Team; Frasier; Beverly Hills, 90210; Weeds; The Riches; Justified; and, in her last onscreen appearance, Getting On.

Stewart was married to actors Don "Red" Barry (the first Red Ryder of the big screen) from 1940-44 and to Buck Young (Sgt. Whipple on Gomer Pyle: USMC) from 1953 until his 2000 death.

Her late sister was Olympic swimmer Patricia O'Rourke, who was married to actor Wayne Morris (Kid Galahad, Paths of Glory).

Survivors include her children Abi, Mike and Greg.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-95-1216791
Panson likes this.
post #30284 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Obituary
Peggy Stewart, Leading Lady in Westerns at Republic Pictures, Dies at 95
By Mike Barnes, The Hollywood Reporter - Jun. 9, 2019
EXCERPT
Peggy Stewart, who starred in more than 30 Westerns at Republic Pictures in the 1940s and '50s and played the object of Adam Sandler and Vanilla Ice's affection in That's My Boy, has died. She was 95.
After her run at Republic and a stint as a casting director at NBC, she appeared on dozens of TV shows, including The Cisco Kid; The Life and Legend of Wyatt Earp; Have Gun — Will Travel; Gunsmoke; Mod Squad; Room 222; Blake's Baretta; Emergency!; The A-Team; Frasier; Beverly Hills, 90210; Weeds; The Riches; Justified; and, in her last onscreen appearance, Getting On.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-95-1216791
R.I.P.

And any mention of The Cisco Kid always gets a like. "Oh, Pancho."

sparky7 and BIGA$$TV like this.

post #30285 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 11:56 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Streaming)
Veronica Mars' Original Three Seasons Get Hulu Launch Date
By Ryan Schwartz, TVLine.com - Jun. 8, 2019

Looking to watch (or rewatch) Veronica Mars ahead of the hotly anticipated, limited series revival? You’re in luck!

Hulu on Saturday announced that the first three seasons will begin streaming on Monday, July 1. That gives binge-watchers roughly three weeks to get through the original 64 installments of the UPN-turned-CW series before eight new episodes drop on Friday, July 26.

Meanwhile, TVLine has learned that the 2014 feature film will not be made available at this time. It is currently streaming via HBO Go and HBO Now.

As previously reported, Hulu’s continuation will take place five years after the events of the Veronica Mars movie. In addition to original cast members Kristen Bell, Enrico Colantoni, Ryan Hansen, Jason Dohring, Percy Daggs III, Francis Capra, David Starzyk, Max Greenfield and Adam Rose, the ensemble also includes Dawnn Lewis (A Different World), J.K. Simmons (Counterpart) and Kirby Howell-Baptiste (The Good Place), many of whom make an appearance in the revival’s recently released trailer (which you can watch here).

Series creator Rob Thomas penned the first episode of the revival, and he serves as an executive producer alongside Bell and returning vets Diane Ruggiero-Wright and Dan Etheridge.

https://tvline.com/2019/06/08/veroni...atch-episodes/
post #30286 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
‘Wyatt Cenac’s Problem Areas’ Canceled by HBO After 2 Seasons
By Margeaux Sippell, TheWrap.com - Jun. 7, 2019

Comedy documentary series “Wyatt Cenac’s Problem Areas” has been canceled by HBO after two seasons. Friday’s episode will be the series’ last.

“Tonight is the series finale of @problem AreasHBO. I guess we were another casualty of that dragon fire at King’s Landing?” Cenac tweeted Friday. “Sad there won’t be season 3 or 17, but appreciate everything and everyone who made seasons 1 & 2 possible, whether that was working on it or watching it.”

Cenac continued his thoughts in a seven-part tweet thread.

“At a time when it feels like public discourse is toxic and change is a thing that only happens with elections or impeachments, it was cool to meet folks working to create change in their cities. Not definitive solutions, but ideas to build from that could be replicated,” he said.

He also highlighted ways that “Problem Areas” brought certain topics to light.

“If somebody has never heard of restorative justice or a farm to school food program, they might not think something like that is possible. We made a show to highlight that change can happen a lot closer than we sometimes realize. But it also needs support to grow and take root.”

Next, he took aim at the “toxic” discourse on Twitter.

“On Twitter when discourse gets toxic, it’s possible to mute those voices and amplify others. @problem AreasHBO was our attempt to do that with a television show,” he said. “All the episodes should probably be available online at HBOGo or HBONow. And who knows, maybe somebody will figure out how to toss them all onto YouTube, where they can find a new audience of Russian viewbots and house cats who secretly know how to type better than they let on.”

https://www.thewrap.com/problem-area...tt-cenac-says/
post #30287 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Media Notes (Research)
Young Women Go to the Movies More Than Men
By Anousha Sakoui, Fortune.com - Jun. 8, 2019

Hollywood churns out superhero films dominated by male characters, but winning over young women can be key to success at the box office.

U.S. female filmgoers ages 15 to 24 account for 2 million admissions a week, compared with 1.7 million for their male counterparts, according to a study by Webedia Movies Pro and Vertigo Research. Cinephiles over the age of 50 also are an outsized force at the box office, despite blockbuster movies generally targeting the young, the report found.

The results suggest that Hollywood could generate more revenue by better serving these groups, said Marine Suttle, Webedia’s chief product officer. Already, the industry has made progress: Walt Disney Co.’s “Captain Marvel” and “Dark Phoenix” have put female protagonists at the center of superhero stories this year. But a disproportionate share of speaking roles still go to men.

“Diversity in the cast is what is going to bring diversity in the auditorium,” Suttle said in an interview.

In the top 30 films surveyed between March 2018 and February of this year, 30% of casts were female. But films with a higher percentage of female characters drew more women to theaters. Movies with a majority of women in the audience had an average 45% female representation in the cast. A similar correlation was found in moviegoers above the age of 50, according to the study.

Still, it’s hard to determine trends because this was the first year the researchers did the study.

‘Book Club’
Last year’s “Book Club,” which starred Jane Fonda and Diane Keaton, was one example of successfully tapping older viewers. It exceeded revenue expectations by drawing an audience that was 80% female and 60% over the age of 50, according to Box Office Mojo.

Groups like the Annenberg Inclusion Initiative have been tracking the level of gender and racial diversity in Hollywood. The latest study by the group showed an increase in women on screen, with 40 of the 100 top films in 2018 featuring a female lead or co-lead. Only 11 featured female actors over age 45, but that was more than double the number the year prior.

As studios consolidate and potentially make fewer movies, the companies that remain will need to make films that attract all audiences, Suttle said.

http://www.fortune.com/2019/06/04/wo...outnumber-men/
Panson likes this.
post #30288 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Obituary
Robert Earle, host of popular TV quiz show ‘General Electric College Bowl,’ dies at 93
By Matt Schudel, Washington Post - Jun. 9, 2019

Robert Earle, the articulate and fast-talking host of one of television’s most challenging and popular quiz shows of the 1960s, “General Electric College Bowl,” died June 5 at a hospice facility in Ithaca, N.Y. He was 93.

The cause was cancer, said his son-in-law, Dave Maley.

“College Bowl” began on radio in the 1950s, then moved to television in 1959, as a clean-cut alternative to a game-show scandal exposed that year, when telegenic scholar Charles Van Doren, who died in April, was revealed to have been given answers when he appeared on the show “Twenty One.”

On “College Bowl,” two teams of four college students answered questions on science, history, philosophy, music, literature and other subjects. It combined elements of a team sport, high-speed oral examination and a football game.

Each contest began and ended with a whistle. The theme music resembled a fight song, and the break in the middle of the program was called halftime.

“Live from New York City,” an announcer intoned, “the intercollegiate battle of brains.”

Mr. Earle took over the show in 1962, when the original host, Allen Ludden, left to launch a new game show, “Password.” At the time, Mr. Earle, a onetime broadcaster and college professor, was working in public relations for GE’s corporate office.

For his audition, he taped an episode of “College Bowl,” then spliced in footage of himself as the host, reciting all of Ludden’s lines in exact time, as if he were interacting with the two panels.

He won the job and was the show’s host from 1962 until it left the air in 1970. “College Bowl” won an Emmy Award for best quiz show in 1963 and, at its peak, was seen by as many as 20 million viewers a week.

The game moved so quickly, with such demanding questions, that it makes modern-day “Jeopardy!” look like a leisurely game of checkers on the village square.

Colleges from all over the country were represented on the show, often taking shape through months of intramural competitions. A college could win five games in a row before it was declared an undefeated “College Bowl” champion. When Bowdoin College in Maine won five matches in 1964, it received so many applications that the admissions office ran out of forms.

Before the questions began on “College Bowl,” Mr. Earle spoke to the students, asking about their academic majors and long-term plans. He offered earnest advice to high school students, urging them to visit campuses: “Do some homework before you go. Study the catalogues. Jot down any questions you may want to ask. . . . Tell them a little about yourself, but keep it brief.”

Robert Earle was born Jan. 5, 1926, in Baldwin, N.Y. His father sold linoleum, and his mother was a homemaker.

After serving in the Navy in the Pacific theater during World War II, Mr. Earle attended Utica College, then a division of Syracuse University, in Upstate New York. He received a bachelor’s degree in English in 1951.

In college, he began working in radio and later in television. At a station in Utica, he mentored a young Dick Clark, later the host of “American Bandstand.”

From 1953 to 1959, Mr. Earle chaired the television and radio department at Ithaca College, before joining GE.

After “College Bowl,” Mr. Earle did voice-over work for industrial films and commercials, including national campaigns for the Mercury Cougar and Liberty Mutual Insurance. He was vice president of marketing for a bank in Ithaca from 1971 to 1982.

Survivors include his wife of 71 years, the former Marion Hanna of Ithaca; four children, Mary Maley and R. Brian Earle, both of Ithaca, Mark Earle of Orlando and Thomas Earle of Ossining, N.Y.; 10 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

It became apparent on “College Bowl” that public universities and small, little-known colleges often fared as well as more illustrious schools. Women’s colleges also did well, including one of the shows most dramatic contests, on March 6, 1966, when Agnes Scott College in Decatur, Ga., challenged the defending champion, Princeton University.

A short film about Agnes Scott was narrated by one of the team’s members, Karen Gearreald, one of the college’s first blind students.

“I have very vivid memories of it,” Gearreald said Saturday in an interview. “Mr. Earle was not permitted to fraternize with the teams, but he was very warm and very gracious to all of us. He was the ideal quizmaster.”

With four women from Agnes Scott matched against four men from then-all-male Princeton, the game remained close throughout.

The Agnes Scott students correctly hummed the themes of five works of classical music, then Princeton answered a question on geology.

Agnes Scott guessed on “What European monarch set a record by reigning 72 years?” (It was Louis XIV, not Queen Victoria.)

“Here’s another toss-up,” Mr. Earle said. “Lavoisier laid the basis for the formulation for the law of the conservation of matter. For 10 points, who is said to have formulated the law of mass and energy?”

Agnes Scott rang in first, with the right answer: Einstein.

Then came the bonus question: “Bucephalus and Roan Barbary were steeds. For 20 points, what were Balmung and Durendal?”

“Swords,” Gearreald said, just as the final whistle blew.

“Yes,” Mr. Earle said. “Belonging to Siegfried and Roland. That’s it! Time’s up. The game is over.”

The Agnes Scott students began to hug one another when they realized they had toppled mighty Princeton, 220-215.

“Teams, what can I say?” Mr. Earle said. “Certainly one of the most exciting contests we’ve ever had here.”

A 2018 Slate article called the game “one of the biggest upsets in quiz history.”

Gearreald, who received a doctorate in English from Harvard and a law degree from Duke University and later worked in law, education and music, said Saturday that she could not see the clock ticking away the final seconds of the game.

“If I had known how much time there was left,” she said, “I would have been too nervous to answer.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.95cc8148ee85

Last edited by dad1153; 06-09-2019 at 01:06 PM.
post #30289 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jun. 9, 2019

CALAMITY JANE
TCM, 4:00 p.m. ET

This 1953 movie is worth watching at this moment in time for two chief reasons. One is to honor the recent passing of its star, Doris Day, in what for her is a playful change-of-pace role. The other is to compare this conception of the role of Calamity Jane with the infinitely more colorful and quotable one on display in HBO’s very recent Deadwood: The Movie, and in its previous series version, as played brilliantly in both instances by Robin Wiegert. (Who, by the way, will return to TV tonight in the Season 2 premiere of Big Little Lies.

THE 73RD ANNUAL TONY AWARDS
CBS, 8:00 p.m. ET
SPECIAL:
James Corden, who hosted the Tonys so winningly in 2016, returns to host this year’s show, which includes among its nominated crop such dramas as Aaron Sorkin’s reworking of Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird and such musicals as Hadestown. Expect a performance featuring the cast of that new musical production, as well as by live tastes of The Cher Show, Tootsie, Ain’t Too Proud, and revivals of Oklahoma! and Kiss Me, Kate.

2019 STANLEY CUP FINALS
NBC, 8:00 p.m. ET

The St. Louis Blues have been in the NHL for more than half a century – 52 years, to be exact – but tonight could win its first Stanley Cup in its long history. The Blues hold a 3-2 advantage over the Boston Bruins in this year’s Finals, and can claim victory with a win this evening in the best-of-seven series. But if the Bruins hold on and even the series, a winner-take-all Game 7 will be held Wednesday.

LUTHER
BBC America, 8:00 p.m. ET

Last week’s Season 5 premiere of Luther, in which Idris Elba returned as volatile police investigator John Luther, took the entire hour to bring him face to face with his former nemesis and object of fascination, Ruth Wilson’s Alice Morgan. But when the door was opened just before the credits rolled, and Alice was on the other side – very much alive, much to Luther’s surprise – it set things up for a juicy episode that should pick up in high gear from the very first frame.

BIG LITTLE LIES
HBO, 8:00 p.m. ET
SEASON PREMIERE:
David E. Kelley, creator of Ally McBeal and Boston Legal, made a dynamic return to television with this 2017 HBO drama, which featured dynamic and nuanced performances from Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern, Shailene Woodley, Zoe Kravitz, and Alexander Skarsgard. All but Skarsgard are back this year, and anyone who saw Season 1 of Big Little Lies knows why he’s absent. But joining the cast this season, playing the mother of Skarsgard’s character, is the biggest casting coup of all: Meryl Streep.

BILLIONS
Showtime, 9:00 p.m. ET
SEASON FINALE:
Last week, it seemed there was a moment where Taylor and Axe might call a truce and put an end to their respective campaigns of revenge. But by the end of the episode, it seemed just as likely they were embarking on a war of mutually assured destruction. And tonight is the Season 4 finale, so this may be the episode where the fur flies and the dust settles. Or vice versa.

LAST WEEK TONIGHT WITH JOHN OLIVER
HBO, 11:00 p.m. ET

So what’s new, John Oliver? Will our favorite former Daily Show correspondent from Great Britain have anything to say, and any special perspective, on President Trump’s recently concluded state visit to England?

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

TV/Critic's Notes (Broadcast)
Corden Hosting the Tony Awards: A Return To His Triumph
By Mike Hughes, TVWorthWatching.com's 'Open Mike' - Jun. 9, 2019

[Editor’s note: I’ve known Mike Hughes since he joined the Television Critics Association press tour in 1982. He and Ed Bark remain the most persistent and well-informed questioners during TCA press conferences, and we’re thrilled to have him join the band of veteran TV columnists in our online sandbox. – DB]

On Sunday (CBS at 8 p.m. ET), James Corden will be back where he belongs – hosting the Tony Awards.

He did it in 2016, on one of the most memorable nights in TV history. But let me back up for a minute.

Should most of us even watch the Tonys? This happens in a place far away in geography (New York City), and in expense (lots), and in tone (musical theater, mostly).

Do we really care? I’d say yes:

1) Partly because it IS so far away. Great things are happening, out of our reach. TV used to glimpse Broadway, via Ed Sullivan and Rosie O’Donnell; now the Tonys offer a once-a-year snapshot.

2) This is live television, which can offer special moments.

Certainly, live TV has faltered lately … mainly because of all the dolts who use their award-show time to thank their agents and managers and such. At some awards, the only good moment comes with the host’s monolog, and this year’s Oscars didn’t have a host.

But great things can happen, especially at the Tonys. Consider:

— Lin-Manuel Miranda’s first Tony, back in 2008. He raised the bar for all acceptance speeches, delivering it in free verse.

— Neil Patrick Harris’ brilliant song, proclaiming that Broadway's "not just for gays anymore.”

— Hugh Jackman’s hosting gig, with a spectacular number from his “Boy From Oz” musical.

— Harris’ habit of doing an instant song at the end, summarizing the night. One bit pointed out that the actor who played a very short “Shrek” prince (a role done on his knees) had lost. You can’t win a Tony on your knees, Harris sang, “that only works with the Golden Globes.”

— Countless great musical numbers, rippling with wit and zest.

— And most of all, those 2016 Tonys.

Corden opened with a seven-minute number that was both dazzling and heartfelt.

He told how he was a chubby English kid whose parents took him to the theater. He soon had an “I could do that” mentality; as the production number continued, Corden did many of the great theater roles, from the Phantom to (really) Annie.

It was impressive. And true. Corden grew up in an English village of 9,600, the son of an Air Force musician and a social worker. He’s known for TV – including his CBS show, at 12:35 a.m. ET weekdays – but he’s also done theater. He did two plays — “The History Boys” and “One Man, Two Guvnors” that went from London to Broadway; in the latter, he won the 2012 Tony for best actor in a play.

Now he was in front of the Tony crowd, a wonderfully varied place in which a black Aaron Burr (Leslie Odom Jr.) would top a Puerto Rican Alexander Hamilton (Miranda) for best actor in a musical.

“It’s so diverse,” Corden said, “that Donald Trump threatened to build a wall around this theater.”

But there had just been a new blow to American diversity. The night before, a gunman had killed 49 people at a gay nightclub in Orlando.

Broadway has always been a wonderfully mixed world. Harris’ song was right: It’s not just for gays, as evidenced by Corden, Miranda, Jackman and the recent Bob Fosse documentary; it’s a place for everyone, and it was devastated to hear about one man’s Orlando hatred.

Then Miranda got a Tony. (He lost for best actor, but won for the Hamilton book and score.) He pulled out a sonnet he had just written, one that started as an ode to his wife Vanessa, then continued:

“We lived through times when hate and fear seemed stronger;
We rise and fall and light from dying embers, remembrances that hope and love last longer.
And love is love is love is love is love is love is love is love cannot be killed or swept aside.
I sing Vanessa’s symphony, Eliza tells her story.
Now fill the world with music, love, and pride.”

And moments like that are why we’ll keep watching live TV – especially the Tonys.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=18339
post #30290 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

TV Review (Cable)
Meryl Streep is powerful addition to ‘Big Little Lies’
By Mark Dawidziak, Cleveland Plain-Dealer - Jun. 7, 2019

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The deeper you got into HBO’s 2017 adaptation of novelist Liane Moriarty’s “Big Little Lies,” the more wonderfully addictive it became in a soapy, snippy way. Executive producer David E. Kelley’s seven-episode mix of murder, mystery, satire and suspense built to an incredibly satisfying conclusion that solved a puzzler set up in the opening minutes: who had been killed and why.

And after that conclusion aired more than two years ago, Kelley had good reason to feel pretty satisfied with the eight Emmys snared by “Big Little Lies.” Now that’s a glittering happy ending to a Hollywood story.

So, why compete with this? Why go back to the affluent community of Monterey, California, where well-coiffed, perfectly manicured neighbors trade in gossip, jealousy and suspicion? Why continue a tale that, frankly, doesn’t need continuing?

Well, there are the monetary rewards, of course. But a writer-producer of Kelley’s pedigree wouldn’t be booking that return trip without a compelling dramatic incentive. He found one. Her name is Meryl Streep.

The owner of three Oscars and three Emmys, Streep provides an immediate jolt of seismic proportions when “Big Little Lies” begins its second HBO season at 9 p.m. Sunday, June 9. Her character is an unsettling presence, to be sure, constantly and persistently rocking the world of the Monterey Five.

Spoiler alert for those unfamiliar with Moriarty’s novel or the first season of “Big Little Lies”: The second season begins a few months after the death of abusive husband and rapist Perry Wright (Alexander Skarsgard). His death was ruled an accident, but his adoring mother, Mary Louise (Streep), isn’t buying. And she isn’t going away.

The first season ended on an appropriately haunting and disturbing note. As a new season begins, we see that the trauma has taken the most obvious toll on two of the five friends. Celeste (Nicole Kidman) is suffering from nightmares. And Bonnie (Zoe Kravitz) is sullen and withdrawn.

But Mary Louise proves skillful in pushing everyone’s buttons, deftly shifting from warm expressions of concern to chilly blasts of skepticism. She is like a relentless detective, playing good cop and bad cop at the same time.

It’s the first day of school and the first episode of the new season, and the ever-outspoken Madeline (Reese Witherspoon) observes, “We all get judged all over again.” She doesn’t know the half of it.

She gets some idea, however, when a lurking Mary Louise gives her a first taste of ice-cold manipulation. Madeline is plenty shook, all right, but Celeste’s mommy-in-law-dearest is just getting started.

The second season of HBO’s “Big Little Lies” stars, left to right, Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Laura Dern and Shailene Woodley.

Incapable of accepting the truth about her son, Mary Louise is determined to uncover the truth about his death. She is on a mission to unravel, thread by thread, the secret shared by Celeste, Madeline, Bonnie, Renata (Laura Dern) and Jane (Shailene Woodley).

The center can’t hold. Even without Mary Louise pulling at those threads, things have got to fray.

And this is how Kelley and his team artfully and craftily lure you back into this seemingly sunny world where dark and ominous undercurrents are a specialty. So many of the characters greet you with gleaming smiles that mask hurt, insecurity and doubt, and that’s symbolic of this Monterey neighborhood.

What’s behind the sunshine and smiles? If the first three episodes of this second season are any indication, what’s waiting is another exceedingly wicked, exceedingly adult ride through riveting territory.

They get judged all over again? Yes, and the early judgment more than justifies Kelley’s decision to continue the pursuit of “Big Little Lies.”

Big Little Lies (Season 2)
When: 9 p.m. Sunday, June 9
Where: HBO

https://www.cleveland.com/tv/2019/06...ttle-lies.html
Panson likes this.
post #30291 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Media Notes (Research)
Young Women Go to the Movies More Than Men
By Anousha Sakoui, Fortune.com - Jun. 8, 2019
EXCERPT
Still, it’s hard to determine trends because this was the first year the researchers did the study.

As studios consolidate and potentially make fewer movies, the companies that remain will need to make films that attract all audiences, Suttle said.

http://www.fortune.com/2019/06/04/wo...outnumber-men/
For sure, more than enough action figures and lame re-dos, but it's probably too late to attract the audiences that've been neglected. The cocoon is hard to leave now.

post #30292 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TV Review (Cable)
Meryl Streep is powerful addition to ‘Big Little Lies’
By Mark Dawidziak, Cleveland Plain-Dealer - Jun. 7, 2019
EXCERPT
CLEVELAND, Ohio – The deeper you got into HBO’s 2017 adaptation of novelist Liane Moriarty’s “Big Little Lies,” the more wonderfully addictive it became in a soapy, snippy way.

But a writer-producer of Kelley’s pedigree wouldn’t be booking that return trip without a compelling dramatic incentive. He found one. Her name is Meryl Streep.

https://www.cleveland.com/tv/2019/06...ttle-lies.html
No action figure role was available for Meryl.

post #30293 of 30948 Old 06-09-2019, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 55

Tony's are the only award show we ever watch and we have been excited about this year's show for a while. Break a Leg!
dad1153 and Nayan like this.
post #30294 of 30948 Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
I'd settle for actual news and leave off the group reporting with their opinions. Too bad we can't bring back Walter Cronkite.
Unfortunately that's the way just about everything on TV is now. A bunch of narrow focused channels or shows on channels that have to have 1 to 7 people analyze and opine everything endlessly. Just show me the sports highlights and report the news without all the filler. I couldn't watch TV now a days without the ability to record and FF through all the garbage.
post #30295 of 30948 Old 06-10-2019, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post
Unfortunately that's the way just about everything on TV is now. A bunch of narrow focused channels or shows on channels that have to have 1 to 7 people analyze and opine everything endlessly. Just show me the sports highlights and report the news without all the filler. I couldn't watch TV now a days without the ability to record and FF through all the garbage.
o

Why do so many complain? None of us are forced to watch anything we don’t want to. I’ve pretty much given up on TV news in general and find I don’t miss it at all. I catch the crawls once in awhile and some headlines on the internet, but that’s about it. I don’t get how “analysts” can talk all day every day to such relatively small audiences and virtually nothing changes. I guess as long as the get paid, they’ll continue to try to tell us what to think.

Cheers, Dave
post #30296 of 30948 Old 06-10-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Business Notes (Analysis)
For DirecTV and Dish, It May Be Now or Never
A deal between the satellite-TV providers has always made sense, and the regulatory environment is as conducive as it may ever be.
By Tara Lachapelle, Bloomberg.com - Jun. 10, 2019

If AT&T Inc. didn’t already have reason enough to consider parting ways with its shrinking DirecTV unit, there may be new inspiration for doing so: a cast of regulators potentially more amenable to Dish Network Corp. buying the rival satellite-TV business.

It was a year ago this week that the U.S. Justice Department lost its case in trying to block AT&T’s own $102 billion acquisition of Time Warner, a monumental courtroom decision that seemed to herald a new “anything goes” dealmaking environment. But the real test may now be the pending merger between T-Mobile US Inc. and Sprint Corp., because if allowed, antitrust regulators would be setting a precedent that it’s OK for two direct competitors in a highly concentrated market to join forces. That would be even more consequential for Corporate America’s M&A ambitions than the Time Warner ruling.

It would certainly ease the path for a merger of Dish and AT&T’s DirecTV, an idea that both companies are open to exploring, people familiar with their thinking recently told Bloomberg News. And while they’re not holding active deal negotiations right now, their window of opportunity may not stay open very long should Democrats win back the White House in 2020. It may be now or never.

DirecTV, which was acquired by AT&T in 2015, has never been able to thrive within the conglomerate, and it’s clear that AT&T well overpaid for the purchase. I wrote in January that if DirecTV continues to weigh on the company’s results and its perception in the stock and bond markets, AT&T should just divest it. And Dish, controlled by Chairman Charlie Ergen, is the most logical – if not only – prospective suitor out there.

DirecTV lost 1.24 million subscribers last year, as the service stopped promotional pricing and customers switched to cheaper online video-streaming services. The pace of cancellations accelerated in the first quarter of 2019, with its own DirecTV Now streaming service also bleeding subscribers as the business prioritizes expanding profit margins over retaining customers. It’s a similar trend at Dish’s satellite-TV operations, and growth has slowed for Dish’s Sling TV streaming product.

Lately, it’s become even more obvious that DirecTV is an awkward fit within AT&T, as the parent company has shifted its focus to the sexier Time Warner media assets – HBO, Warner Bros. and the Turner TV networks – that have since been named the WarnerMedia division. That business is the epicenter of AT&T’s new video-streaming strategy, with its own Netflix-like app anchored by HBO content coming early next year, even though DirecTV has traditionally housed any pay-TV operations. Whenever AT&T executives are asked why it will make sense to offer DirecTV Now alongside its soon-to-come Netflix-like WarnerMedia app, they struggle to give a coherent answer, usually drawing lines between price and content that may just wind up confusing and deterring customers.

Letting go of DirecTV would help AT&T raise money to more easily pay down the monstrous amount of debt it took on to buy Time Warner last year. AT&T’s net debt was $187 billion as of March, and analysts predict the company will generate just over $60 billion of Ebitda this year. That’s a long way from the net leverage ratio of about 2.5 that it had before the acquisition.

Owning the less attractive satellite-TV business also drags down AT&T’s valuation. Its enterprise value is about 7 times forward Ebitda, less than half Walt Disney Co.’s multiple. Even Dish’s is higher, at about 14, because it’s sitting on billions of dollars of valuable wireless spectrum licenses. One can even envision a deal structured so that AT&T sells DirecTV to Dish and in turn gains some of Dish’s spectrum, which would help the company’s wireless business in building a faster 5G data network. (Ergen’s own plans for the spectrum aren’t entirely clear, though Dish says that it, too, is building a network to enable what’s known as “the internet of things.”)

For Dish, removing a large competitor would have its advantages. When the HBO network went dark on Dish customers last year because of an ongoing programming dispute, DirecTV may have presented the only viable alternative for those in more rural areas without fast enough internet to stream the HBO app online. Should Dish and DirecTV try to merge, regulators may be concerned about the near-term effects on such rural customers.

A merger would bring substantial cost synergies, driving cash flow and helping Dish to lucratively manage the decline of satellite TV. John Hodulik, a UBS Securities analyst, speculated on a Dish-DirecTV merger last week, noting that “a decade from now, in areas that have broadband connections, having to get a satellite to watch TV will seem crazy.” A decade is being generous, in my opinion.

It may be time for AT&T to let its DirecTV headaches become someone else’s problem. Dish may be happy to oblige.

This column does not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editorial board or Bloomberg LP and its owners.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...e-now-or-never
post #30297 of 30948 Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes
There's Still Hope That One Day at a Time Will Be Saved
By Kaitlin Thomas, TVGuide.com - Jun. 8, 2019

The sting of the cancellation of One Day at a Time after three critically acclaimed seasons lingers months after Netflix swung the ax. Campaigns to save the show are still ongoing, and during a panel celebrating the sitcom at the ATX Television Festival on Saturday, creator and executive producer Mike Royce offered fans an update on the future of the show.

"All I can say is there is hope — there's not not hope," he said. "I've been through three 'save our show' campaigns. The first two didn't work; that's why I'm with this show. The other two were like pie-in-the-sky, you're hoping like 'Oh my, God. I hope a miracle happens.' I think I can safely say this is beyond - we're past miracle status. People are interested. We just have to make sure it can all work out."

"We want to do a credible version of the show," he continued. "If we end up doing it, you don't want to do something that somewhat takes away from the creative — and those are sometimes all monetary considerations — but we're talking."

Royce and the cast members on the panel, including Justina Machado and Todd Grinnell, didn't go into a lot of details about the possible future of the show, but CBS All Access is one of the streaming services that was said to be interested in picking up the series for a fourth season.

Although she couldn't appear on the panel in person, actress Isabella Gomez sent a video message along to the fans. In it, she added her own update on the show's future. "The way you can help us out is #SaveODAAT ," she said, urging fans to continue to tweet about how much they want to see another season (or more) of the series.

Royce hopes to have news sooner rather than later and also thanked the fans online and off for watching the show and continuing to express support for the series.

"People have been fighting so hard for this show," he said, "and it's kept us in the conversation."

The first three seasons of One Day at a Time are streaming on Netflix.

https://www.tvguide.com/news/one-day...-cancellation/
post #30298 of 30948 Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
o

Why do so many complain? None of us are forced to watch anything we don’t want to.
Because we have to pay for all that stuff we don't watch in our bundled Cable/Satellite/Streaming bills.
post #30299 of 30948 Old 06-10-2019, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Technology Notes (Gaming)
Microsoft’s next-generation Xbox: 8K graphics, SSD storage, and ray-tracing for 2020
By Tom Warren, TheVerge.com - Jun. 9, 2019

Microsoft is revealing the first details about its next-generation Xbox hardware today. Rumors suggested Microsoft would launch two new Xbox consoles in 2020, with one designed to be the equivalent of the current Xbox One X and the other, the Xbox One S. We’re now starting to get more information on the next high-end Xbox console, codenamed Project Scarlett.

Microsoft is including a custom designed CPU based on AMD’s Zen 2 and Radeon RDNA architecture, and it’s promising this new console will be four times more powerful than the Xbox One X. Microsoft is also using fast GDDR6 RAM, that it claims will “usher in resolution and framerates we’ve never seen before.”

This new Project Scarlett console will support 8K gaming, framerates of up to 120fps in games, ray-tracing, and variable refresh rate support. Microsoft is also using an SSD on Project Scarlett. “We’ve created a new generation of SSDs. We’re using the SSD as virtual RAM,” says an Xbox spokesperson in an unveiling video. This should boost performance by 40x over the current generation according to Microsoft, and that will mean games load a lot faster.

Sony is also promising that the PS5 will support up to 8K graphics, 3D audio, SSD storage, and backwards compatibility with existing PlayStation 4 titles. The PS5 will also use an eight-core CPU based on AMD’s third-gen Ryzen line, and ship with a GPU that supports ray-tracing graphics. Sony is also teasing 4K graphics at a 120Hz refresh rate support.

Halo Infinite is also launching alongside Microsoft’s new Project Scarlett Xbox console, setting the stage for the next generation of Microsoft’s console gaming. Microsoft isn’t showing exactly what Project Scarlett looks like, and the unveiling feels very similar to what the company did with Project Scorpio. That console eventually became the Xbox One X, and we’ll now likely see a lot more about Project Scarlett at next year’s E3.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/9/18...e-date-e3-2019
JudgeSmails likes this.
post #30300 of 30948 Old 06-10-2019, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Streaming)
Swamp Thing's Swift Cancellation Remains Murky for EP James Wan, Who Urges Fans to Watch All Episodes
By Matt Webb Mitovich, TVLine.com - Jun. 10, 2019

If you were hoping for one of Swamp Thing‘s executive producers to clear things up about the live-action series’ cancellation after just one “airing,” you’re out of luck.

James Wan — who serves as an EP on the DC Universe series alongside Mark Verheiden, Gary Dauberman, Michael Clear and Len Wiseman — wrote on Instagram this weekend that he does not “really know or understand why” Swamp Thing was cancelled.

First announced more than 13 months ago, Swamp Thing made its premiere on the upstart streaming service on May 31, only to have its swamp veritably drained six days later. An initial report that some sort of paperwork error slashed the expected tax credits from North Carolina, where it films, was ultimately snuffed. Since then, the presiding theory is that the DC Universe service’s overall purpose is being “reevaluated” now that WarnerMedia’s own, much, much larger streaming platform, is on track to launch later this year. Perhaps DC Universe’s original series (including but by no means limited to Titans and Doom Patrol) will one day call WarnerVision (as I choose to dub the yet-to-be-named streaming service) home? But again, that is just me spitballing.

Wan’s Instagram message went on to champion those who brought Swampy to life (and to a 92% Fresh rating at Rotten Tomatoes).

“[A]ll the cast and crew, and producing/writing team poured their hearts into this. Really proud of everyone’s hard work,” he said, before inviting fans to watch each of and thus “immortalize these 10 episodes,” releasing weekly every Friday through the Aug. 2 finale. “Swampy deserves it.”

https://tvline.com/2019/06/10/swamp-...-wan-reaction/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page