Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 1023 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15313Likes

post #30661 of 34541 Old 07-03-2019, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2120 Post(s)
Liked: 2772
I hope that everyone that celebrates it has a great and fun 4th of July! Be safe out there my friends.
aaronwt, Nayan and Mark12547 like this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30662 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked: 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post
I hope that everyone that celebrates it has a great and fun 4th of July! Be safe out there my friends.
It's also our anniversary.. married on the Fourth largely so I wouldn't forget it.

Mimosas shortly. BBQ ribs and chicken, this afternoon. Baileys/Guinness shake for dessert (recipe on request) and, as @Nayan can attest, there's no better place to see fireworks than Florida, weather permitting. Stand on any beach along the Gulf side of Pinellas County and see every city fireworks display along with all the individual ones. It's really quite amazing.

Happy Fourth, y'all.
joblo, aaronwt, WilliamR and 3 others like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #30663 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Was christmas booked
Jon J likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30664 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 2421 Post(s)
Liked: 4687
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Was christmas booked
Strangely, churches tend to be pretty busy, that day.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #30665 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked: 525
You wouldnt know it from the posts here.
DrDon, DoubleDAZ, mrvideo and 1 others like this.

post #30666 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1498 Post(s)
Liked: 2612
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
It's also our anniversary.. married on the Fourth largely so I wouldn't forget it.

Mimosas shortly. BBQ ribs and chicken, this afternoon. Baileys/Guinness shake for dessert (recipe on request) and, as @Nayan can attest, there's no better place to see fireworks than Florida, weather permitting. Stand on any beach along the Gulf side of Pinellas County and see every city fireworks display along with all the individual ones. It's really quite amazing.

Happy Fourth, y'all.
Happy anniversary to you and Mrs. Doc!

You're right, watching fireworks on the beach is the best! My friends and I went to Cocoa Beach's fireworks last night, we're hitting ours tonight after our cookout and heading south for more tomorrow night. Their kids love that they get to see three big shows this year .
aaronwt likes this.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #30667 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6565 Post(s)
Liked: 7308
Quote:

Happy Fourth, y'all.
You should post that recipe in the "AVS Cooks!" thread (formerly known as the Super Bowl pregame thread).
post #30668 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2161
Quote:

Happy Fourth, y'all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
You should post that recipe in the "AVS Cooks!" thread (formerly known as the Super Bowl pregame thread).
I was thinking of swinging by Kentucky to catch some Bourbon Fish..........

https://www.apnews.com/a5f382c5eff7430eb3f6fdc7b47bce6a
Nayan likes this.
post #30669 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6565 Post(s)
Liked: 7308
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I was thinking of swinging by Kentucky to catch some Bourbon Fish..........

https://www.apnews.com/a5f382c5eff7430eb3f6fdc7b47bce6a
Can you pick me up a few bottles of Blanton's while you're there? Impossible to find in this god-forsaken part of the country.
Keenan and Nayan like this.
post #30670 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2264 Post(s)
Liked: 3478
Being as it was brought up, let me be the first to wish everyone a Merry Christmas. I'll add a few more of these for good measure.
aaronwt, DrDon, rcman2 and 4 others like this.

Last edited by Aliens; 07-05-2019 at 05:27 AM.
post #30671 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Got married on my birthday, July 6. Coming up on 51 and haven't forgotten one.
aaronwt, DrDon, Nayan and 1 others like this.
post #30672 of 34541 Old 07-04-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked: 1006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchief99 View Post
Got married on my birthday, July 6. Coming up on 51 and haven't forgotten one.
Damn... married 51 years!!! I certainly hope that you never forget your birthday.
aaronwt, DrDon and Nayan like this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #30673 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3304 Post(s)
Liked: 2959
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
‘Big Brother’ Wins Quiet Wednesday, ‘NCIS: The Cases They Can’t Forget’ Finale Holds Steady
By Dino-Ray Ramos, Deadline.com - Jul. 4, 2019

On the eve of the Fourth of July, Big Brother forged ahead with a new episode that topped Wednesday night. The latest episode was the first eviction of the season and first live episode. The CBS reality series nearly matched its Tuesday night episode with a 1.0 rating in the adults 18-49 demographic and 4.24 million viewers.

Big Brother led into back to back episodes NCIS: The Cases They Can’t Forget which included the season finale. The true crime series on CBS returned and held steady with each episode receiving a 0.3 rating and 2.6 million viewers.

Meanwhile, NBC’s freshman drama series The InBetween dipped a tenth after taking a week off (0.3, 2.26M).

With Big Brother winning the night, CBS won a fairly quiet Wednesday evening where networks unloaded reruns of game shows and reality competitions including Press Your Luck, Ellen’s Game of Games, MasterChef and Songland. The quiet evening comes after last week’s airing of the first part of the of Democratic Debate which brought in sizeable numbers for NBC (1.6, 7.36M).

https://deadline.com/2019/07/big-bro...bc-1202642111/
post #30674 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Media/Business Notes
RIP MAD Magazine? Satirical Publication to Cease Original Content, Focus on Reprints
By Ross A. Lincoln, TheWrap.com - Jul. 3, 2019

After 67 years, hundreds of issues, a spinoff sketch comedy series and countless imitators, MAD Magazine as it has been known since 1952 is coming to an end, according to the magazine’s former editor, Allie Goertz.

“There’s been an outpour of kindness surrounding the rumor that @Madmag azine is ceasing publication, but MAD is not quite done,” Goertz tweeted late Wednesday night. “After the next TWO great new issues are released, MAD will begin publishing bi-monthly issues with vintage pieces and new covers.”

“While there will be no new material after issue #10 , @Madmag azine is not gone,” Goertz continued. “I find it deeply sad to learn that there will be no new content, but knowing history repeats itself, I have no doubt that the vintage pieces will be highly (if not tragically) relevant.”

MAD artist and writer David DeGrand elaborated on Twitter that the magazine “isn’t shutting down but is only leaving the newsstand and will be sold to the direct market. The best thing to do is buy MAD and support it as much as possible, it’s not going away!”

Neither DC Entertainment, which publishes MAD, nor the magazine itself have issued public statements. They also did not immediately respond to requests for comment from TheWrap.

Launched in 1952, MAD began life as a monthly comic published by EC Comics, known largely for its popular horror and crime titles. It converted to a (roughly) bi-monthly magazine in 1955 with issue #24 . Urban legend has it that MAD’s publisher, the legendary William Gaines, did so to evade the Comics Code Authority, the self-censorship body established by the comics industry in response to an early 1950s moral panic.

The truth is slightly more mundane: As detailed in “The Art of Harvey Kurtzman: The Mad Genius of Comics” by Denis Kitchen and Paul Buhle, longtime EC Comics editor Harvey Kurtzman, who had shepherded MAD from its inception, wanted to work in magazine publishing instead of comics, and had been offered a job with a rival company. Gaines changed MAD’s format in an effort to keep him.

Kurtzman remained an editor for just one more year, but becoming a magazine freed MAD from CCA content restrictions, enabling it to publish more risque content than regular comic books. Over the following decades it would become one of the most influential humor publications in America, peaking with a circulation of 2 million in the 1970s. It published 550 regular issues between 1952 and 2018; MAD’s numbering reverted to 1 in June of that year when it relocated operations from New York City to Los Angeles.

As news of the magazine’s demise spread, comics artists, comedians and fans mourned a publication that was consistently cited as a huge influence on both American satire and the comics medium.

News of MAD’s turn of fortune was first reported by The blog Jedland.

https://www.thewrap.com/mad-magazine...fter-67-years/
post #30675 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

'Akira' Anime Series in the Works
By Gavin J. Blair, The Hollywood Reporter - Jul. 5, 2019

Akira director Katsuhiro Otomo will direct a new anime series that will be a continuation of the steampunk cult classic that made his name.

Otomo, who also created the original Akira manga, announced the news during a panel at the Anime Expo in Los Angeles. The series will be produced by Bandai Namco's Sunrise, although few other details were unveiled.

He also unveiled that he will direct Orbital Era, his third anime feature. Otomo is also writing and directing Orbital Era, set "in the near future on a space colony under construction," according to the project's website. It will be, "an action-adventure story of some boys in this peculiar environment and society who keep living their lives while they're being tossed about by fate."

The feature, also with Sunrise, will only be Otomo's third, including 2004's Steamboy, which took him 10 years to finish.

A 4K remastering of the groundbreaking 1988 feature Akira will also be released in Japan in April 2020, it was announced. When the postapocalyptic story of juvenile delinquent bikers, set in 2019, was released, it was the most expensive anime produced at the time, costing around $9 million (1.1 billion yen). It is widely hailed as a classic of the genre, has been a huge influence on creators since and helped to popularize anime outside Japan.

There will also be a Complete Works collection, curated by Otomo, chronicling his career since 1971, released by Akira publisher Kodansha.

After many years of delays, false starts and personnel changes, a live-action Hollywood remake of Akira directed by Taika Waititi is set for release in May 2021.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...-otomo-1222674
aaronwt likes this.
post #30676 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jul. 5, 2019

MOVIES OF 1939
TCM, 6:00 q.m. ET

Every Friday this month, TCM runs with the generally accepted thesis that 1939 was one of the best years ever in the history of cinema – with, just for starters, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington and The Wizard of Oz all released that year. Eighty years later, try and build a comparative, competitive roster from the movies of 2019. But that quartet of classics is just the glittery tip of a cinematic iceberg. Starting at 6 a.m. ET and running all day and throughout prime time, TCM shows films from 1939. Among today’s highest of highlights: Young Mr. Lincoln, starring Henry Fonda and directed by John Ford (noon ET); Only Angels Have Wings, starring Cary Grant and directed by Howard Hawks (3:45 p.m. ET); Ninotcha, starring Greta Garbo and directed by Ernst Lubitsch (6 p.m. ET). And once we get into prime time, TCM starts at 8 p.m. ET with The Wizard of Oz, starring Judy Garland, then includes The Hunchback of Notre Dame, starring Charles Laughton, at 11:15 p.m. ET, and Gunga Din, another 1939 vehicle for Cary Grant, at 1:30 a.m. ET. All those films came from the same year – and TCM is showcasing similar all-day lineups for the next three Fridays as well. Case closed…

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
ABC, 8:00 p.m. ET

The cliffhanger ending to last week’s episode had the team reunited under a familiar leader, squaring off against another galactic enemy – except though the leader looks familiar, and is played by the same actor (Clark Gregg), he’s a different, darker guy altogether. But he’s proven his worthiness to lead them into battle, so here we go…

JETT
Cinemax, 10:00 p.m. ET

Last episode included a flashback back to Jett’s time in a women’s prison, when she defended a newbie prisoner against a vicious group of predatory inmates. This series has jumped backward in time so many times, in fact, that I’m pretty sure we’re now watching Jett (Carla Gugino) live through a flashback within a flashback within yet another flashback. Not even the Austin Powersmovies did that much leapfrogging flashbacking…

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/
post #30677 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Streaming)
Netflix Promises Fewer Depictions of Smoking After Stranger Things Blowback
By Halle Kiefer, Vulture.com (New York Magazine) - Jul. 4, 2019

Netflix knows the new season of Stranger Things is making your mouth water for a cigarette (and Burger King and strawberry 7-11 slushies and malls…), and for that, they are sorry enough to limit depictions of smoking in original programming going forward. The announcement came after the anti-smoking organization Truth Initiative took the streaming platform to task for all the cigarettes in Stranger Things Season 2. “Netflix strongly supports artistic expression,” a spokesperson said in a statement to Variety. “We also recognize that smoking is harmful and when portrayed positively on screen can adversely influence young people.”

As such, Netflix vows to scale back cigarette and e-cigarette use in original programming rated TV-14/PG-13 or lower, only allowing its depiction for “reasons of historical or factual accuracy.” They will also reportedly include information about depictions of smoking along with each production’s rating.

Additionally, programs with a higher rating than TV-14 will also avoid cigarette use “unless it’s essential to the creative vision of the artist or because it’s character-defining (historically or culturally important).” Of course, one could argue it is factually accurate to depict adults living in a small Indiana town in the early 1980s as smoking like chimneys, but then you remember there’s an interdimensional Demogorgon in this show and we’re not exactly talking about a historical biopic here.

https://www.vulture.com/2019/07/netf...-blowback.html
post #30678 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:33 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Business Notes
MoviePass Suspends Service Citing Technical Problems, Plans to Recapitalize Company
By Todd Spangler, Variety.com - Jul. 4, 2019

Starting July 4, MoviePass will be out of commission for the next several weeks — at least — with the struggling theater-subscription service provider saying it needs to fix technical issues and finish work on a new version of its app.

There was also a hint that the money-losing MoviePass business is running low on funds. The company, in announcing the temporary shutdown, said it “plans to use this time to recapitalize in order to facilitate a seamless transition and improved subscriber experience once the service continues.”

As of March 21, 2019, MoviePass’ parent company — Helios and Matheson Analytics — said it had cash on hand of about $2.8 million and $13.1 million on deposit with its merchant and fulfillment processors related to MoviePass subscription revenue. Helios and Matheson said it netted $5.56 million in new financing from “certain institutional investors,” which closed March 25.

Helios and Matheson’s net loss more than doubled in 2018, to $329.3 million, on revenue of $232.3 million, according to its latest financial filing. The company took a $38.5 million write-down for the third quarter of 2018 related to the impairment of goodwill in the MoviePass business, and it said it expects to record an impairment charge of $35.9 million for Q4 for MoviePass.

MoviePass said it put the service on hiatus starting at 5 a.m. ET on July 4. The company said the suspension is due to “maintenance-related issues.” It didn’t provide details on what the problems are or how the new MoviePass app will be enhanced.

“Once we have resolved these technical problems, the service will be live again. We estimate this process will take several weeks,” MoviePass said in a tweet Wednesday.
During MoviePass’ shutdown, subscribers will not be charged and they’ll be automatically credited for the number of affected days once the service continues, according to the company. In addition, MoviePass currently is not accepting new subscribers.

In a statement, MoviePass CEO Mitch Lowe said the suspension is required to complete work on an improved version of the MoviePass mobile application. “There’s never a good time to have to do this,” Lowe said. “But to complete the improved version of our app, one that we believe will provide a much better experience for our subscribers, it has to be done.”

The number of MoviePass subscribers plummeted from more than 3 million last year to just 225,000 in under a year, according to Business Insider report in April. A MoviePass spokeswoman disputed the report but declined to provide current subscriber figures.

The subscriber plunge stemmed from MoviePass’ change in August 2018 to eliminate the one-movie-per-day plan, priced at $9.95 per month. The new $9.95 plan allows subscribers to see just three movies each month. This year, it rolled out a refashioned “unlimited” option, for $14.95 per month, to again allow customers to see one movie daily but warning that movie choices will be restricted based on “system-wide capacity.”

Helios and Matheson is the target of a securities-fraud probe by the New York Attorney General, which is looking into whether the company misled investors. MoviePass also is the target of a class-action lawsuit by subscribers claiming the change in the “unlimited” plan was a deceptive “bait-and-switch” tactic.

Helios and Matheson Analytics currently owns approximately 92% of the outstanding shares of MoviePass, after closing a deal to acquire control of the service in December 2017. Helios and Matheson fully owns MoviePass Ventures, which was established to acquire completed indie films, and 51% of MoviePass Films, a joint venture with Emmett/Furla Films. The company also owns Moviefone, which it bought from Verizon last year.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ze-1203259672/
post #30679 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Technology Notes
65-inch TVs are now the most popular choice for North American households: report
By Jon Porter, TheVerge.com- Jul. 5, 2019

Data from market research firm TrendForce suggests that falling prices have made 65-inch TVs the most popular choice for North American living rooms. According to the firm, prices for 65-inch TVs have fallen by around 25 percent this year, while prices of 55-inch televisions have remained more or less constant. The result is that 65-inch TVs are now the size of choice for households, with 50-inch sets relegated to becoming secondary TVs for the bedroom.

There are a couple of different reasons for the shift, but the trade war with China has played a big part. TrendForce reports that TV manufacturers had been stockpiling products in anticipation of the planned 25 percent tariffs that then failed to materialize. Now that they’ve built up huge stocks, manufacturers are being forced to lower prices if they want to clear out their inventories.

Here in my tiny London apartment I’ve only recently made the jump from a 32-inch TV up to a 40-inch set, and even that change was only possible because of the smaller bezels on the newer model. It’s hard not to be incredibly jealous of massive North American houses. At this point, the only way I’m going to be able to fit something bigger in my home is if LG’s roll-up TV technology ever drops to a semi-affordable price, which doesn’t look likely within the next half decade.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/5/20...arket-research
post #30680 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Business Notes (Carriage Dispute)
More Than 120 Nexstar Stations Dark on DirecTV
By Mike Farrell, Multichannel News - Jul. 5, 2019

More than 120 Nexstar Media Group stations across the country went dark to DirecTV, DirecTV Now and AT&T Uverse TV customers on July 3, after the pay TV giant passed on an extension that would have kept the channels live through Aug. 2.

About 120 Nexstar stations in 97 markets went dark at 11:59 p.m. on July 3, according to the broadcaster, after its offer to extend the agreement until Aug. 2 while negotiations continued, was rejected by DirecTV and Uverse parent AT&T.

“With its long-term record of delivering exemplary service to the local markets where it operates, Nexstar deeply regrets DirecTV/AT&T’s rejection of the extension as it deprives viewers in the affected markets of broadcasts of leading network content from ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, CW, and MyNetworkTV as well as local news and other programming produced specifically for these local communities,” Nexstar said in a statement. The broadcaster urged affected viewers to switch to other pay TV providers or access programming over-the-air.

The stations are located in large and small markets across the country, including San Francisco (KRON), Portland, Oregon (KOIN) and Indianapolis (WISH and WNDY)
AT&T, on a website set up specifically for such disputes -- tvpromise.att.com -- blamed the blackout on Nexstar’s greed.

“We had hoped to prevent Nexstar from removing its stations from your TV channel lineup,” AT&T said on the tv promise website. “We even offered Nexstar more money to keep their stations available. However, Nexstar simply said no and chose to remove them instead. By doing so, Nexstar has put you in the center of its negotiations.”

This is the second big blackout involving AT&T in less than two months. On May 30, about 17 stations in 14 markets, many managed by mega station group Sinclair Broadcast Group,m went dark to Uverse, DirecTV Now and DirecTV subscribers.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/mo...ark-on-directv
post #30681 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Business Notes
Univision Board Set to Explore Sale of Company
By Jon Lafayette, Broadcasting & Cable - Jul. 3, 2019

Univision said its board of directors is “reviewing strategic options” for the Spanish-language media giant, which could include the sale of the company.

Univision has been struggling with debt and increased competition from Comcast’s Telemundo unit.
Last year, Randy Falco left as CEO and was replaced by Vincent Sadusky. A parade of other senior managers also left Univision, including its top programming and sales executives.

“After a successful year under the leadership of our new management team, including a complete refocus on our core Spanish-language media business, it is abundantly clear that Univision’s strategic value has never been greater,” the board said in a statement.

“As the last major independent broadcast media company in the U.S., a market where scale and strength matter, Univision has the fundamentals for continued growth on its own or with a partner – and after careful consideration, the Board and management team have concluded the time is right to explore strategic options,” the board said.

Univision borrowed $13.7 billion when it went private in a leveraged buying in 2006. Its investors are led by media mogul Haim Saban and Televisa, which supplies programming to Univision.

Univision reportedly turned down a bid from John Malone worth between $13.5 billion and $15 billion in 2017. It also unsuccessfully tried to go public again with an initial public offering that would have valued it at $20 billion.

The company also tried to get into the digital media business by buying assets including The Onion and Gawker. Those were later sold off.

“Univision is strategically, operationally and financially strong, having refocused on serving our core consumers, as well as our advertising and distribution partners,” said Sadusky.

“Over the past year, Univision has gained momentum as it has divested non-core assets; strengthened programming; secured long-term distribution deals and valuable sports rights; increased investment in news, sports, local, and digital offerings; and materially strengthened its balance sheet,” Sadusky said. “The current environment favors scale and cross-platform offerings, and we believe those major media companies that fail to recognize and capitalize on this unique opportunity in Spanish-language media will be left behind.”

The company has hired Morgan Stanley and LionTree as financial advisors.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...ale-of-company
post #30682 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
AMC Says ‘The Walking Dead’ Universe Will Live On for ‘Many Years to Come’ Despite Comic Books’ Abrupt End
By Reid Nakamura, TheWrap.com - Jul. 2, 2019

AMC assured “The Walking Dead” fans that the show will carry on “for many years to come,” despite comic book series creator Robert Kirkman announcing he would conclude the book’s run this week with a surprise ending in issue #193 .

“This extraordinary comic created a world that already lives in multiple forms, and in the hearts and minds of millions of fans around the world, and will for many years to come,” the network said in a statement.

In the final pages of Wednesday’s issue of the “Walking Dead” comic book, Kirkman revealed that it would serve as a surprise ending to the Image Comics/Skybound Entertainment series, which was first published in 2003.

“In a way, killing this series has been a lot like killing a major character. Much, much harder… but the same feeling,” he wrote. “I don’t WANT to do it. I’d rather keep going… But the story is telling me what it wants and what it needs. This needs to happen. Whether I want it or not.”

Kirkman’s comic series served as the basis for the show and many of its characters and plot turns, but in the nine seasons since its premiere in 2010, AMC’s “The Walking Dead” has deviated from its source material quite substantially.

The comics provided the premise and inspiration for AMC’s hit TV show of the same name, which is about to enter its 10th season. In addition to the spinoff “Fear the Walking Dead,” currently in its fifth season, and the recap show “Talking Dead,” a third spinoff is in development and a series of movies centered around Andrew Lincoln’s Rick Grimes.

Angela Kang is showrunner on “The Walking Dead” and executive produces alongisde Kirkman, Gale Anne Hurd, Dave Alpert, Greg Nicotero, Tom Luse and Denise Huth.

https://www.thewrap.com/amc-says-wal...years-to-come/
post #30683 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Broadcast)
CBS drama Ransom not returning for season 4
By Lynette Rice, EW.com - Jul. 3, 2019

Ransom will no longer be paid on CBS.

The drama that followed crisis and hostage negotiator Eric Beaumont (Luke Roberts) will not return for a fourth season. The show, which served as cheap summer programming for CBS, confirmed its departure on Twitter.

Ransom

@Ransom Series
#Ransom fans: We’re joyful & lucky to have shared these past three seasons with you. Unfortunately, we have to bid the CriRes team farewell. We loved telling stories about strong, smart characters resolving conflicts with words instead of violence. Thank you for watching.
11:51 AM - Jul 3, 2019

The series was an international co-production from David Vanilla and produced by Frank Spotniz. It debuted in June of 2016 on CBS and was inspired by the real-life negotiators Laurent Combalbert and Marwan Mery.

The producers were the ones to make the decision to stop making the drama due to lack of funding, a source tells EW.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/03/ransom-drama-canceled-cbs/
post #30684 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Streaming)
Marlee Matlin To Star In Comedy ‘Life And Deaf’ Eyed by Disney+ From Lizzy Weiss, Patricia Heaton & CBS TV Studios
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Jul. 3, 2019

EXCLUSIVE: Disney+ is finalizing deals to put in development comedy series Life and Deaf, starring and executive produced by Oscar winner Marlee Matlin, I have learned. The project hails from Switched at Birth creator Lizzy Weiss, Patricia Heaton and David Hunt’s Four Boys Entertainment and CBS TV Studios, where Four Boys is under a pod deal.

Written By Weiss and based on the life of Jack Jason, Matlin’s long-time interpreter, Life and Deaf is a half-hour family comedy about a kid growing up in the ‘70s with deaf parents — and the mischief that ensues when, as their ears and mouthpiece, he is given the “keys to the kingdom.’

Heaton, Hunt and Rebecca Stay of FourBoys will executive produce along with Weiss, Matlin and Jason. CBS TV Studios is the studio.

The project reunites Matlin with Weiss, with whom she worked on Switched at Birth. Her recent TV credits include co-starring on the third season of ABC’s Quantico, as well as roles on Syfy’s The Magicians and Fox’s Family Guy. She’ll next be seen in Limetown for Facebook Watch. Matlin made her film debut in Children of a Lesser God, for which she won a Best Actress Oscar.

Weiss created the Peabody-winning Switched at Birth, which ran for five seasons at ABC Family/Freeform, featuring multiple deaf actors and characters including Matlin who was recurring. She was also the showrunner for Season 1 of Facebook Watch’s Sorry For Your Loss, and wrote the surf girl movie Blue Crush.

FourBoys Entertainment is currently in pre-production on the movie Florence, Not, Italy, which Hunt will direct, and is also producing the Heaton-led comedy series Carol’s Second Act for CBS and CBS TV Studios along with creators/EP’s Emily Halpern, Sarah Haskins and Kapital Entertainment. It’s set to premiere this fall on CBS.

At Disney+, CBS TV Studios has a series order for Diary of a Female President, from writer Ilana Peña and Gina Rodriguez’s I Can and I Will production company.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/marlee-...os-1202641439/
post #30685 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
FRIDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)
From Zap2it.com's TV Grid - Jul. 5, 2019

ABC:
8PM - Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
9PM - 20/20: Robert Blake (120 min.)
(R)
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Celine Dion talks and performs; Chris Tucker)
(R)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - Hawaii Five-0
(R)
9PM - Magnum P.I.
(R)
10PM - Blue Bloods
(R)
11:35PM - The Late Show With Stephen Colbert (Bill Hader; James Bay performs)
(R)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show With James Corden (KiKi Layne; John David Washington; Alec Benjamin performs)
(R)

NBC:
8PM - American Ninja Warrior: Baltimore City Qualifiers (120 min.)
(R)
10PM - Dateline NBC: Prairie Confidential
(R)
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (K.J. Apa; Sting talks and performs)
(R)
12:37AM - Late Night With Seth Meyers (Jordan Peele; Phoebe Waller-Bridge; rapper Action Bronson)
(R)
1:38AM - Last Call With Carson Daly (Rhys Darby; Drab Majesty performs; comedy duo Rhett & Link)
(R)

FOX:
8PM - First Responders Live
(R)
9PM - MasterChef
(R)

THE CW:
8PM - Masters of Illusion
(R)
8:30PM - Masters of Illusion
(R)
9PM - The Big Stage
(R)
9:30PM - The Big Stage
(R)

PBS:
8PM - Washington Week (Season Premiere)
8:30PM - Firing Line With Margaret Hoover (Season Premiere)
9PM - Big Pacific: Violent
(R)
10PM - Great Yellowstone Thaw
(R)

UNIVISION:
8PM - La Reina Soy Yo
9PM - La Reina de Guadalupe
10PM - Por Amar Sin Ley

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Movie: Skyfall (2012)

ESPN:
7:30PM - NBA Summer League Basketball: Los Angeles Lakers vs. Chicago Bulls (LIVE)
9:30PM - NBA Summer League Basketball: New York Knicks vs. New Orleans Pelicans (LIVE)
11:30PM - NBA Summer League Basketball: Phoenix Suns vs. Denver Nuggets (LIVE)

NBCSN:
7:30PM - NASCAR Xfinity Racing Series: Circle K Firecracker 250 (2 1/2 hrs., LIVE)

CBSSN:
8PM - WNBA Basketball: Indiana Fever at Dallas Wings (LIVE)
10PM - WNBA Basketball: New York Liberty at Phoenix Mercury (LIVE)

HISTORY:
8PM - Ancient Aliens: Declassified
9PM - Ancient Aliens (63 min.)
10:03PM - Unidentified: Inside America's UFO Investigation - The Revelation (Finale, 62 min.)

LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK:
8PM - Movie: The Wrong Stepmother (2019)

MTV:
8PM - Ridiculousness: Grant Gustin
8:32PM - Ridiculousness: Chanel and Sterling CXVII

CINEMAX:
10PM - Jett (65 min.)

HBO:
11PM - Los Spookys

STARZ:
10PM - MotherFatherSon

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - Kevin Hart Presents: Hart of the City... Oakland
11:30PM - Kevin Hart Presents: Hart of the City... San Diego (Season Finale)

COOKING:
11PM - Crazy Cakes (Season Premiere)

HBO:
11PM - Los Spookys

TBS:
11PM - ELEAGUE: Gears 5 Episode 4

https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap
tmdorsey likes this.
post #30686 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 2161
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Technology/Business Notes
MoviePass Suspends Service Citing Technical Problems, Plans to Recapitalize Company
By Todd Spangler, Variety.com - Jul. 4, 2019

Starting July 4, MoviePass will be out of commission for the next several weeks — at least — with the struggling theater-subscription service provider saying it needs to fix technical issues and finish work on a new version of its app.

https://variety.com/2019/digital/new...ze-1203259672/
Seriously, is there anyone out there still willing to give these con artists their money?

This has to be the biggest bait and switch deal I've seen in a long time.
dad1153 and Nayan like this.
post #30687 of 34541 Old 07-05-2019, 02:02 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 9746 Post(s)
Liked: 6418
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
Seriously, is there anyone out there still willing to give these con artists their money?

This has to be the biggest bait and switch deal I've seen in a long time.
I came back to Moviepass this past Spring. After Sinemia shut down. In the few months I've been back at movie pass, I've seen a bunch of movies. Most on opening night. At $15 a month, I just about break even with one movie, since the cost is $14 at the Alamo Drafthouse I use Movie Pass at.

I also have an AMC A-List subscription. But I only use that for showings in their Dolby theater., since the seats in their other theaters are disgusting and old. They were supposed to have replaced the old seats by now in the 22 screen and 18 screen AMC locations I use. But the last time I asked a manager about it they said those plans were scrapped.

Bottom line when I was a Movie pass member a couple of years ago and the last few months, I have always come out way ahead of what I actually paid each month. With seeing just two movies a month in my area it is more than worth it. And I've been seeing three to five movies each month since I came back. Most on opening night or weekend.

Sent from my Galaxy S10

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 07-05-2019 at 02:07 PM.
post #30688 of 34541 Old 07-06-2019, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

‘Macy’s 4th Of July’ Fireworks Fizzle To 4-Year Viewership Low For NBC, Down Double-Digits From 2018
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Jul. 5, 2019

Anything with a Jennifer Hudson rendition of “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” and a multi-colored painting of the NYC skyline is worth watching on July 4th, or any night. But Thursday’s Macy’s 4th of July Fireworks Spectacular (0.9 rating in the adults 18-49 demographic, 5.89 million viewers) didn’t quite blow up with viewers.

With the Oscar winner’s spectacular voice on display, a return to the Brooklyn Bridge, fireworks and performances from the likes of Luke Bryan, Maren Morris and Brad Paisley, the 43rd yearly celebration from the iconic department store on American’s 243rd birthday crashed from last year.

Maybe it was the good weather that had people outside all over the country at the cookout or maybe it was Donald Trump’s planes, tanks and rain tribute to America down in a wet D.C., but the 2019 Macy’s effort dropped 25% among adults 18-49 from last year.

Perhaps putting the hurt on a little harder, the fast affiliate viewership numbers show an equally explosive 25% decline from 2018. While the Comcast-owned net easily won the encore-heavy night overall with a 0.9/7 (equal to ABC, CBS and Fox put together) and an audience of 5.37 million, the TV fireworks crowd is the smallest to watch the extravaganza since 2015.

That second-to-last year of the Obama administration show was up a tenth from the previous year in the demo, but down 15% with just 5 million watching the initial broadcast.

Other than Macy’s 4th of July, CBS’ Elementary (0.3/2) was the only original on the holiday Big 4 small screen. Having faced the second night of NBC’s Democratic debate miniseries on June 27, the departing modern Sherlock Holmes drama dipped a tenth in the key demo.

Have a great holiday weekend!

https://deadline.com/2019/07/4th-of-...mp-1202642322/
post #30689 of 34541 Old 07-06-2019, 07:18 AM - Thread Starter

TV Sports/Nielsen Notes (Soccer)
Fox Sports Heading into Women's World Cup Final With Ratings Momentum
By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News - Jul. 5, 2019

Fox Sports has scored some big audience numbers for its Women's World Cup tournament coverage heading into Sunday's USA-The Netherlands finals match.

Fox Sports is averaging 1.4 million viewers across Fox broadcast, FS1 and FS2 through the semifinals of its 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup coverage from France, up 6% through semifinal coverage of the 2015 tournament across Fox networks, according to Nielsen.

The numbers include a whopping 7.0 million viewers who tuned into Tuesday's USA-England semifinal match. Overall, the game -- won by the USA 2-1 to catapult the team into the finals -- drew 7.3 million viewers across Fox and streaming services, according to Fox Sports officials.

Wednesday's Netherlands -Sweden game delivered 2.3 million viewers on FS1, making it the most watched, non-US Women's World Cup semifinal on record, according to Fox Sports.

Sunday's USA-Netherlands contest starts at 11 a.m. and can be viewed on Fox broadcasting network and Spanish-language network Telemundo.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/fo...tings-momentum

Personal beef: why aren't the media outlets tallying Telemundo's share of the viewership pie about the World Cup alongside Fox's? I'm a bilingual viewer with access to both networks, and I choose Telemundo's coverage because the announcers are more exciting to listen to as the game goes on. It's a disservice for any soccer tournament TV coverage to not tally the viewership of a Spanish network simulcasting coverage alongside an English-speaking network, especially for a sport like soccer that appeals heavily to a Hispanic audience. Getting off soap box now.
post #30690 of 34541 Old 07-06-2019, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, I just saw "Do The Right Thing" for the first time on the 4th of July at a local AMC Theater and thought Benjamin (whom I recognized from his dozens of appearances on the "Law & Order" shows over the years) was quite good. RIP!

Obituary
Paul Benjamin, Actor in 'Do the Right Thing,' Dies at 81
By Mike Barnes, The Hollywood Reporter - Jul. 5, 2019

Paul Benjamin, the veteran actor who portrayed one of the three wise Brooklyn "cornermen" in Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing, has died. He was 81.

Benjamin died June 28, Lee announced on Instagram. No other details of his death were immediately available.

His other noteworthy roles included those of a bank robber who rips off the mafia in Across 110th Street (1972), the father of a folk singer (Roger E. Mosley) in Leadbelly (1976), the embittered prisoner English in Escape From Alcatraz (1979) and Henry, the owner of the model train hobby shop in The Station Agent (2003).

Benjamin also starred in the 1979 CBS telefilm I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, based on Maya Angelou's book, and appeared for Robert Townsend in The Five Heartbeats (1991), for John Singleton in Rosewood (1997) and for Bill Duke in Hoodlum (1997).

In Do the Right Thing (1989), written and directed by Lee, Benjamin played ML alongside Frankie Faison as Coconut Sid and Robin Harris as Sweet Dick Willie. The trio gather every day against a brick wall under a beach umbrella and serve as a sort of Greek chorus, commenting on the events of the day.

Born the youngest of 12 children on New Year's Day 1938 in South Carolina, Benjamin was the son of a preacher. He moved to New York and studied acting at Herbert Berghof's studio and made his film debut playing a bartender in Midnight Cowboy (1969).

He appeared on Broadway in Sam Shepard's Operation Sidewinder in 1970 and had small roles in two 1971 releases, The Anderson Tapes, directed by Sidney Lumet, and Born to Win (1971), starring George Segal.

Benjamin then lent an air of authority to the blaxploitation films The Education of Sonny Carson (1974) and Pam Grier's Friday Foster (1975).

His film résumé also included Richard Pryor's Some Kind of Hero (1982), Barbra Streisand's Nuts (1987) and Clint Eastwood's Pink Cadillac (1989).

On television, Benjamin played homeless man Al Ervin on several episodes of ER; showed up on such series as Police Story, Kojak, Law & Order and The Shield; and appeared in telefilms including 1977's One in a Million: The Ron LeFlore Story with LeVar Burton, 1980's Gideon's Trumpet with Henry Fonda and 1987's The Man Who Broke 1,000 Chains with Val Kilmer.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-81-1222701
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page