Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 1031 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14593Likes

post #30901 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 09:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Media/Business Notes (Streaming)
Netflix suffers first major loss of US subscribers, blames price hikes
By Julia Alexander, TheVerge.com - Jul. 17, 2019
Down 11.5% -- since they usually bounce back next qtr that is a very very tempting buy.
aaronwt likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30902 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Down 11.5% -- since they usually bounce back next qtr that is a very very tempting buy.
I don't know. Disney and Apple are about to come on super strong. Disney's pricing is really, really good and some of their new originals are very intriguing. Unsure on pricing or content of Apple.

As for new Netflix content lacking, not suprising at all to me. Non-originals on Netflix are, overall, poor. Its gotten so bad that for any big name movie I generally just rent on Vudu. As for originals, some are really really good and others are atrocious.

Personally I am looking forward to The Expanse, The Boys and LOTR on Prime more than anything planned on Netflix for next few years.

Big Trouble in Little China - greatest film ever made

Gamertag: Team Banzai
post #30903 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3205 Post(s)
Liked: 2789
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
^^^ Agree. For every "Roma" and "Stranger Things" there are dozens of "Ridiculous 6" and "Chambers" that outshine the luster of the Netflix original moniker.
JudgeSmails likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30904 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
‘Big Brother’ Tops Wednesday Ratings; ‘MasterChef’ Ticks Up
By Dino-Ray Ramos, Deadline.com - Jul. 18, 2019

CBS’ Big Brother continues to remain head of household among its primetime peers, matching last week’s 1.0 rating in the adults 18-49 demographic and 3.96 million viewers Wednesday night. Fox’s culinary reality series MasterChef (0.8, 3.04M) cooked up a boost, rising a tenth from last week.

With CBS aided by the latest Love Island (0.6, 2.51M) and Fox with a fresh episode of First Responders Live (0.6, 2.30M) — both ticked up a tenth — the networks tied for the nightly win in the demo.

After a week off, ABC’s game shows made their return to the network, which won the night overall in total viewers. Card Sharks (0.5, 3.17M) and the Elizabeth Banks-hosted revival of Press Your Luck (0.7, 3.93M) both slipped a tenth, while Match Game (0.6, 3.13M) held steady.

Among new episodes, the CW’s Jane the Virgin (0.2, 620,000) was even with last week, as was NBC’s The InBetween (0.4, 2.28M).

https://deadline.com/2019/07/big-bro...ef-1202648447/
post #30905 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (International)
Kyoto Animation fire: Arson attack at Japan anime studio kills 33
By BBC.com Staff - Jul. 18, 2019

At least 33 people are dead and dozens injured after a man set fire to an animation studio in the Japanese city of Kyoto, officials say.

Police said the 41-year-old suspect broke into the Kyoto Animation studio on Thursday morning and sprayed petrol before igniting it.

The suspect has been detained and was taken to hospital with injuries.

Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said the incident was "too appalling for words" and offered condolences.

Kyoto Animation, known as KyoAni, produces films and graphic novels and is well regarded by fans for the quality of its productions.

How did the incident unfold?
The fire broke out at the three-storey building at around 10:30 local time (01:35 GMT) on Thursday. Rescue operations are still ongoing.

Police also found knives at the scene, say local media. NHK said the man had been heard saying "drop dead" as he set fire to the building.

The suspect's relationship with the company is unclear.

Eyewitnesses described a loud explosion followed by an inferno that rapidly engulfed the building.

"I saw some people with burns, covered with something. They were rushed to the ambulance," one neighbour said.

Firefighters found 10 of the victims on the stairs linking the second floor to the roof and it is feared more people could still be on the top floor.

Japanese officials said the victims were dead or "in cardio-pulmonary arrest" - a formulation routinely used in Japan for victims who have died but whose deaths have not yet been officially confirmed.

Some 36 people are in hospital, some in a critical condition, reports say. About 70 people were in the building when the fire started.

Who is the suspect?
Latest reports say the man is not a former employee - but eyewitnesses say he appeared to be angry with the animation studio.

They said he ran away from the building towards a nearby train station after the fire started but fell to the ground. Some reports said he was pursued by employees of Kyoto Animation.

"A person with singed hair was lying down and there were bloody footprints," a 59-year-old woman living nearby told news agency Kyodo.

"He seemed to be in pain, irritated and suffering, but also angry as if he was resentful. I heard him saying something like 'you copied it'," a neighbour said.

The Asahi Shimbun newspaper quoted a 61-year-old neighbour as saying she clearly heard the man shout: "You ripped me off."

The suspect was injured and was being treated in hospital, so police could not immediately question him, NHK said.

Japanese media reports said a man in his 40s had earlier bought 40 litres (nine gallons) of petrol at a nearby petrol station. Two containers used for the fuel were later found at the scene of the fire, Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported.

Meanwhile Kyoto Animation Director Hideaki Hatta told the broadcaster that the company had recently received threatening emails.

"They were addressed to our office and sales department and told us to die," he said.

Mr Hatta told reporters that he was "heartbroken" at the attack.

"It is unbearable that the people who helped carry Japan's animation industry were hurt and lost their lives in this way," he said.

What do we know about the studio?
Kyoto Animation, known as KyoAni, was founded in 1981 and has produced popular animation shows including "K-On" and "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya".

The studio also released a standalone feature anime A Silent Voice in 2016.

One of KyoAni's series, Violet Evergarden, was picked up by Netflix for a global market.

It also publishes many popular graphic novels mainly about teenage school life.

The studio is known for paying its animators a regular salary, breaking with the industry's standard of paying per frame which is seen as putting extreme pressure on staff.

It is also the first successful studio outside Tokyo, Prof Ryusuke Hikawa from Meiji University told NHK.

How have fans reacted?
Japanese anime has a huge following not just in Japan but around the world.

On social media, many fans have been expressing their shock and posting pictures of their favourite KyoAni shows.

A GoFundMe campaign titled "Help KyoAni Heal" has also been started, with more than $300,000 (£240,000) raised in six hours.

Voiceover artist SungWon Cho - who works on anime films - was among those to react.

Fans have also been sharing images of Kyoto Animation's work.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178
post #30906 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
THURSDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)
From Zap2it.com's TV Grid - Jul. 18, 2019

ABC:
8PM - Holey Moley
9PM - Family Food Fight
10PM - Reef Break
11:35M - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Billy Eichner; Sean McVay, head coach of the Los Angeles Rams; Spoon performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - Love Island
9PM - Big Brother (LIVE)
10PM - Elementary
11:35PM - The Late Show With Stephen Colbert (Journalist Norah O'Donnell; Topher Grace)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show With James Corden (Lisa Kudrow; Will Forte; Jason Sudeikis; comic Sarah Tollemache)
(R)

NBC:
8PM - The Wall
(R)
9PM - Hollywood Game Night
10PM - Law & Order: Special Victims Unit
(R)
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Kenan Thompson; Joe Manganiello; Robyn performs)
12:37AM - Late Night With Seth Meyers (Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.); Raghav Mehrotra sits in with the 8G Band)
1:38AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Jane Levy; American Aquarium performs; Carly Craig)
(R)

FOX:
8PM - MasterChef
9PM - Spin the Wheel

THE CW:
8PM - iZombie
9PM - The Outpost

PBS:
8PM - The This Old House Hour
(R)
9PM - Grantchester on Masterpiece (120 min.)
(R)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Premios Juventud 2019 (Special, 3 hrs.)*
(Simulcast on Galavision)

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Un Poquito Tuyo
9PM - Betty en NY
10PM - Por Amar Sin Ley

CBSSN:
7PM - World TeamTennis: Philadelphia Freedoms at Orlando Storm (2 1/2 hrs.)

CNN:
8PM - CNN Debate Live Draw

DISNEY:
8PM - Bunk'd

ESPN:
8PM - MLS Soccer: D.C. United at FC Cincinnati (LIVE)
10PM - MLS Soccer: Orlando City SC at Portland Timbers (LIVE)

FREEFORM:
8PM - Siren

LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK:
8PM - Movie - The Wrong Boy Next Door: On My Block (2019)

MTV:
8PM - Jersey Shore: Family Vacation (125 min.)

NAT GEO:
8PM - When Sharks Attack: Australia's Deadliest Coast
9PM - When Sharks Attack: Double Shark Attack
10PM - Forecast: Shark Attack

NBCSN:
8PM - 2019 Tour de France, Stage 12: Toulouse to Bagnères de Bigorre (3 hrs.)

A&E:
9PM - Live Rescue (120 min.)

BRAVO:
9PM - The Real Housewives of New York City: Reunion Part 2
10PM - The Real Housewives of New York City
(R)
11PM - Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen (Ellie Kemper; Marc Maron)

LIFETIME:
9PM - Little Women: Atlanta (Season Finale, 63 min.)
10:03PM - Little Women: LA

TV ONE:
9PM - For My Man
10PM - The DL Hughley Show (Comic Luenell)

VH1:
9PM - Growing Up Hip Hop Atlanta
10PM - Growing Up Hip Hop Atlanta

FX:
10PM - Baskets (33 min.)

TRUTV:
10PM - The Carbonaro Effect
10:30PM - The Carbonero Effect: Inside Carbonero

USA:
10PM - Queen of the South

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Journalist and author Isha Sesay)

SHOWTIME:
11PM - Desus & Mero (Professional soccer player Megan Rapinoe)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (From 2019 Comic Con, 60 min.)

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap
post #30907 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked: 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post
I don't know. Disney and Apple are about to come on super strong. Disney's pricing is really, really good and some of their new originals are very intriguing. Unsure on pricing or content of Apple.

As for new Netflix content lacking, not suprising at all to me. Non-originals on Netflix are, overall, poor. Its gotten so bad that for any big name movie I generally just rent on Vudu. As for originals, some are really really good and others are atrocious.

Personally I am looking forward to The Expanse, The Boys and LOTR on Prime more than anything planned on Netflix for next few years.
I look at Netflix as a Silicon Valley business that got hijacked by Hollywood. To many many of their originals still have Hollywood show beats whereas the better foreign produced stuff does not. Many of the Prime US produced originals I've watched do not do that. Prime also does not charge extra for UHD. I understand that Netflix didn't originally but now you need their highest priced subscription for it. They should just make that sub for 4 users and not charge extra for 4K. Two years ago when I subscribed for 4K on Netflix a lot of the 4K was standup comedy which was of course cheap to produce.

And as I have said before Netflix drowns us in so many shows we often don't have time to catch up on everything so they think we don't like a series new season. A recent article posted in this thread said that Netflix is now going to go for quality not quantity. Good move but it may be too late.
dad1153 and Nayan like this.
post #30908 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 9424 Post(s)
Liked: 6105
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeSmails View Post

There are many shows on all the streaming services I am looking forward too. But Netflix has so much I want to watch that I keep a subscription all year. I always have over 100 titles on my list. I also keep Amazon all year, but that is because of the Prime Membership. And I expect to keep Disney+ all year. But only because of the very low price it will have.
Aliens likes this.

57TB unRAID1a--49TB unRAID2--76TB unRAID3
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #30909 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 07:23 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked: 925
It was announced on tonight's ET that the new Top Gun Maverick movie was shot in 6K.
aaronwt likes this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #30910 of 33006 Old 07-18-2019, 09:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Prime also does not charge extra for UHD. I understand that Netflix didn't originally but now you need their highest priced subscription for it. They should just make that sub for 4 users and not charge extra for 4K.
I'm one of those users that just dropped them, and that was one of the reasons. My wife and I are the only ones in the house, so we have no use for four streams, but to get 4K content we'd have to upgrade to their highest-priced plan.

In the meantime stories are rampant about people sharing accounts, which they could easily put an end to that if they wanted to.

So, do I fork over extra cash for 4K, find a buddy and split the costs of the four-user plan (not ethical in my opinion), or just dump them? I chose the latter.
Nayan likes this.

post #30911 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 12:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 583
I'd sort of willingly pay the higher price if they would give me what I'm paying for --4K and ATMOS, but no Atmos for us TCL owners. I"m not about to dump $$$ into a Xbox or Apple just to get what I'm currently paying for. Have had a favorable view of NF, now not so much -- not a good thing for any company -- pissing off loyal customers.
post #30912 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 12:15 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

NASA’s Giant Leaps: Past and Future – Celebrating Apollo 50th as we Go Forward to the Moon

Friday, July 19, 1 p.m. ET
On July 19, we will broadcast live from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida, the historic, newly-restored Apollo mission control room at Johnson Space Center in Houston and the Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. We will also be at the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, with a special guest host. We’ll look in live on Neil Armstrong’s hometown of Wapakoneta, Ohio, see the Apollo 11 command module on display in Seattle, and see slices of Americana at other anniversary celebrations around the country. We’ll tell the story of how we got there, and how we’ll get there again, hearing directly from Apollo astronauts alongside current and future astronauts, scientists, engineers, and others sharing some untold stories, quirky facts, and personal reflections about journeying to the lunar surface. Watch it on the NASA Live page.

Poster comments: If you have a C-band BUD, tune in NASA: G13/11 (3920V - 28.0681SR - DVB-S)

NASA should get rid of DVB-S and upgrade to DVB-S2 so that they can finally add 1080i and drop 720p. The reason initially given was that to convert to DVB-S2 would be too expensive for schools, etc. But that was many years ago. DVB-S2 IRDs are extremely cheap. I will have to capture the whole mux in order to also get the UHD feed so that I can down convert it to 1080p. If I read TSR correctly, the UHD stream is 2160p. MediaInfo doesn't indicate interlaced or progressive. But a frame rate of 59.94 sure indicates progressive.

NASA 50th Anniversary Events Page

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
post #30913 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 1945 Post(s)
Liked: 2438
'Titans' crew member killed in special effects test: DC Universe TV show 'heartbroken'

Cast and crew of the "Titans" TV show were mourning Thursday following the death of special effects coordinator Warren Appleby, after a stunt test went tragically wrong.

The producers of the Warner Bros. Television/DC Universe show said in a statement they were "heartbroken and devastated by the passing of the treasured colleague" which occurred at a special effects facility "during preparation and test for an upcoming shoot."

No further details of the accident were released, but the show's production in Toronto was put on hold for two days following the deadly incident involving the veteran special effects specialist Appleby, who had a 25-year career in TV and motion pictures.

TMZ and The Hollywood Reporter stated that Appleby was killed by a piece of metal that flew from a car that was being tested for a flipping stunt.

The producers passed on"our deepest condolences, and heartfelt love and support, to Warren’s family and friends at this most difficult time.”

Appleby worked on Guillermo del Toro’s effects heavy "The Shape of Water," which won a 2018 Oscar for best picture.

“I knew Warren as a top-notch FX man but I admired him as a father and family man, and a colleague, too,” del Toro told Deadline. “He always gave you his 100% percent. He was very near and very dear and an integral part of our core team. He will be always be beloved and admired.”

"Titans," a darker version of the "Teen Titans" cartoon, is in its second season the DC Universe.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/enter...nt/1773326001/

post #30914 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked: 2536
Quote:
Originally Posted by srw1000 View Post
I'm one of those users that just dropped them, and that was one of the reasons. My wife and I are the only ones in the house, so we have no use for four streams, but to get 4K content we'd have to upgrade to their highest-priced plan.
I dropped them too. Like you, we have no use for four streams just to get (and pay dearly for) 4K.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #30915 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
And I expect to keep Disney+ all year. But only because of the very low price it will have.
That $7 per month pricing is surely introductory and will be used to ramp up early subscriber numbers. As the Disney+ library builds out over the first couple of years, I would expect that number to be closer to $12 per month very shortly. I do hope they offer a reasonable bundled pricing model of Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+.

TCL Roku-TV 55P605 (4K HDR & DV) | VIZIO SB36512‑F6 Soundbar
TCL Roku-TV 43S425 (4K HDR) | TCL Roku-TV 32S301 (720p)
post #30916 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Those stupid sticky posts are now showing up for me as well. I will never click on those things.

post #30917 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2137 Post(s)
Liked: 3281
^^^

uBlock Origin stopped mine.
post #30918 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
^^^

uBlock Origin stopped mine.
Unfortunately uBlock Origin is not available for iOS devices.

Bobby 

post #30919 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

They aren't pop-ups, so I do not care. I will just ignore them.

post #30920 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
They aren't pop-ups, so I do not care. I will just ignore them.
I try to ignore them and do but they are distracting...

Bobby 

post #30921 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2390 Post(s)
Liked: 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
It was announced on tonight's ET that the new Top Gun Maverick movie was shot in 6K.
A show I watched recently on Netflix was shot 8K. Productions may shoot in 6K these days because directors can reframe if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L View Post
I'd sort of willingly pay the higher price if they would give me what I'm paying for --4K and ATMOS, but no Atmos for us TCL owners. I"m not about to dump $$$ into a Xbox or Apple just to get what I'm currently paying for. Have had a favorable view of NF, now not so much -- not a good thing for any company -- pissing off loyal customers.
Atmos requires a surround system so wouldn't TCL just be passing it as a bitstream? Atmos like DolbyVision have licensing fees which is why it may not be used that much. I think the day of licensed codecs is over. HEVC has effectively killed UHD Blu-ray because of their monopoly on the format and the required license fee for physical media.

I have a friend whose brother got the Netflix 4 users subscription and set up his brother and parents for it. His brother has a 4K TV but it's never been set up for 4K because he chose to get a Vizio 4K TV and is not into mobile devices. Vizio requires an Android device to control it and of course he would not get a phone or tablet. A friend eventually gave him his old tablet but he hasn't set it up yet even though I sent him the link for Android app. He just watches Netflix HD via Comcast.
post #30922 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
‘Fear The Walking Dead’ Renewed For Season 6; Adds New Cast Members And Reveals Plans For New Series - Comic-Con
By Dino-Ray Ramos, Deadline.com - Jul. 19, 2019

In part one of The Walking Dead universe, the cast and creators of the Fear the Walking Dead panel took the stage. First stepping on the dais alongside moderator Chris Hardwick were showrunners Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg; executive producers Robert Kirkman, Dave Alpert, Gale Anne Hurd, and Greg Nicotero; and director and co-executive producer, Michael Satrazemis. In addition, Lennie James, Alycia Debnam-Carey, Danay Garcia, Maggie Grace, Jenna Elfman, Alexa Nisenson, Austin Amelio, Rubén Blades, and Karen David joined the panel which was packed with news.

During the panel, Gimple announced that the series has been renewed for a season 6 and they dropped a first look at season 5B ahead of its midseason finale on Sunday. The series will return August 11. In addition, Gimple announced that Colby Minifie, Peter Jacobson and Colby Hollman will be joining the cast.

In addition, Gimple said that they are going to be exploring more of the post-apocalyptic Walking Dead universe.

“The big secret is that there have been other civilizations that have survived the apocalypse,” revealed Gimple. “We are about to show a lot more.”

Gimple said that they are working on another series of privileged, first-world kids who leave the comfort of their world to go on a quest. Some will become heroes — others not so much. He said the new series will “open up a whole new world.” No further details of the series were given.

https://deadline.com/2019/07/fear-th...mc-1202649322/
aaronwt likes this.
post #30923 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Streaming)
Hulu Drops ‘Veronica Mars’ Revival a Week Early
By Jennifer Maas, TheWrap.com - Jul. 19, 2019

Your impatience has been rewarded, Marshmallows: Hulu has dropped the entire eight-episode “Veronica Mars” revival one week early.

The news of the moved up premiere date — which was set for July 26 — came at the end of the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel on Friday, which featured stars Kristen Bell, Enrico Colantoni, Jason Dohring, Ryan Hansen, Francis Capra, Percy Daggs III, executive producer Diane Ruggiero-Wright and creator/executive producer Rob Thomas.

So even though everyone inside the Comic-Con panel was treated to the world-premiere screening of the first episode then, you get the pleasure of viewing all of the episodes now.

The revival of the beloved UPN/CW series sees the title character, played by Bell, investigating a string of serial bombings killing the spring breakers who flocked to Neptune for vacation and decimating the seaside town’s lifeblood tourist industry.

In addition to the stars mentioned above, the new “Veronica Mars” episodes feature returning cast members David Starzyk, Max Greenfield and Ken Marino, along with newcomers Patton Oswalt, J.K. Simmons, Kirby Howell-Baptiste and Dawnn Lewis.

For those of you who didn’t get around to watching the drama during its original three-season run from 2004 to 2007, you can binge all of those episodes on Hulu first, as they just become available on the streaming platform July 1. And you can check out the 2014 movie via HBO, HBO Go and HBO Now.

https://www.thewrap.com/veronica-mar...ase-comic-con/
post #30924 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Broadcast)
Ted Danson to Star as Mayor of L.A. in NBC Comedy From Tina Fey
By Jennifer Maas, TheWrap.com - Jul. 19, 2019

Ted Danson is moving from The Good Place to the mayor’s mansion: The Emmy winner will star in a new NBC comedy co-written by Tina Fey and her 30 Rock colleague Robert Carlock, TVLine has learned.

The untitled comedy, which just earned a straight-to-series order from the Peacock network, stars Danson as “a wealthy businessman who runs for mayor of Los Angeles for all the wrong reasons,” per the official description. “Once he wins, he has to figure out what he stands for, gain the respect of his staff, and connect with his teenage daughter, all while controlling the coyote population.”

“We are thrilled to be back home at NBC and writing for one of the network’s greatest stars of all time, Mary Steenburgen’s husband, Ted,” Fey and Carlock said in a statement.

Danson currently stars as afterlife architect Michael on NBC’s The Good Place, which enters its fourth and final season this fall. He’s still best known for playing ex-jock bartender Sam Malone on the NBC hit Cheers, earning Emmy awards for the role in 1990 and 1993. His other major TV roles include Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fargo, CSI, Becker, Damages and Bored to Death.

Fey and Carlock are Emmy winners as well for their work on NBC’s 30 Rock, which ended a seven-year run in 2013. They also co-created Netflix’s Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which wrapped up earlier this year, with a interactive movie special on the way.

https://tvline.com/2019/07/18/ted-da...ayor-tina-fey/
post #30925 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 02:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post

Atmos requires a surround system so wouldn't TCL just be passing it as a bitstream? Atmos like DolbyVision have licensing fees which is why it may not be used that much. I think the day of licensed codecs is over. HEVC has effectively killed UHD Blu-ray because of their monopoly on the format and the required license fee for physical media.

Exactly. Earlier in April TCL 2018 + models were to support Atmos, now NF pulled that listing off their site.
post #30926 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post
Unfortunately uBlock Origin is not available for iOS devices.
I use Firefox Focus as a content blocker for Safari. Works for me. https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...us-with-safari
post #30927 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jul. 19, 2019

COMEDIANS IN CARS GETTING COFFEE
Netflix, 3:00 a.m. ET
SEASON PREMIERE:
Now in its second season on Netflix, moved (or rescued) from Sony’s Crackle, Jerry Seinfeld’s Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee continues to be the perfect little TV talk show. It’s a brilliantly reductive idea – the title says it all, though sometimes they eat meals and this season even take a ride on vintage Italian motor scooters – and Seinfeld does it perfectly. He spends enough money to make it look sharp in the photography and editing, and is loose enough with his questions and conversation to make these one-on-one visits absolutely intimate and quietly fascinating. This season, when Seinfeld tells Martin Short he doesn’t prepare any questions for these interviews, Short replies with a mocking moment of mock incredulity, making Seinfeld double over with laughter. When talking to comic Bridget Everett, Seinfeld launches into a blistering tirade about what a jerk one particular comic is – but bleeps out the comic’s name. Yet when talking to Seth Rogen, they get deep into the weeds, and uncomfortable truths, discussing one of Seinfeld’s comedy idols, Bill Cosby. His return visit with Eddie Murphy is great, and whether Seinfeld is arguing with Ricky Gervais (who prompts Seinfeld to say something dangerously un-P.C., then dares him to leave it in the show, which he does) or delighting at the vocal impressions of Melissa Villasenor, Seinfeld always sparkles as brightly and runs as smoothly as his vintage cars. Obviously, I scarfed up the entire new season at one sitting. Since most episodes are 15 minutes or so, I’m betting you will too. Bet you can’t watch just one…

MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D.
ABC, 8:00 p.m. ET

“How are these two related?” is the question asked tonight, as the S.H.I.E.L.D. squad tries to piece together two connected mysteries. One is why the renegade world-destroyer Sarge looks and sounds exactly like their former leader Coulson – and the other mystery is why one of their squad members shot and killed Sarge in cold blood at the end of last week’s episode, yet has no memory of doing so.

MR. SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

The best movies of 1939 continue to be collected and shown on Fridays this month by TCM – but let’s focus on this particular one, which should be seen tonight by everyone, regardless of political leanings. When I show this film, starring James Stewart and an equally fabulous Jean Arthur, to my Rowan University film students, they’re astounded by so much in this now 80-year-old movie: the cynicism of the media, the corruption of politicians, and both the liberated and disapproving views of different types of women. But most of all, they’re won over by this Frank Capra movie’s heart, patriotism and optimism. So watch it. We all need a taste of what Mr. Smith is having.

WONDERERS OF THE MOON
BBC America, 10:00 p.m. ET

Moon TV specials are everywhere this week, but here’s one that takes moon travel literally. It’s about how and why the moon travels in its orbit, and how that affects things here on Earth. If you’re looking for pure escapism tonight, look elsewhere – because if there’s one thing this new special is loaded with, it’s gravity.

JETT
Cinemax, 10:00 p.m. ET

Things get worse for Carla Gugino’s Jett tonight. But hey – I could have written that every week so far…

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

TV/Critic's Notes
How You and Your TV Can Celebrate the Moon Landing Anniversary
By Mike Hughes, TVGuide.com's 'Open Mike' - Jul. 19, 2019

At times, the calendar can be our friend.

That's the case with the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. It falls on a Saturday (July 20), meaning more people will be available and perhaps they can snuggle together as families did a half-century ago. Also, a mid-summer Saturday is a slow time for viewers, so there are fewer distractions.

With that in mind, here's a round-up of Saturday choices. Keep in mind that these are subject to late change, and there will also be extensive coverage on news channels.

RELIVING THE EVENT
– Precisely 50 years after the original, we can see Walter Cronkite's CBS coverage on their streaming service at 4:17 p.m. ET for the moon landing and 10:56 p.m. ET for the first steps on the moon.
– Cronkite's coverage also provides the core for Moon Landing, from 9-11 p.m. ET on BBC America. It's supplemented by other footage, extensive music, and even an emotional NBC moment with David Brinkley.

SERIES REPEATS
– From the Earth to the Moon, 8:45 a.m. ET, HBO2.
Here's the eighth episode of the richly crafted series, dramatizing space events. This hour views the crisis for Apollo 13; as it happens, the series is produced and hosted by Tom Hanks, who starred in the Apollo 13 movie.
– America's Secret Space Heroes, 2-5 p.m. ET, Smithsonian. Separate hours view the Hubble Telescope, the space station, and the lunar module.
– From The Earth to the Moon, 4:14 p.m. ET, HBO2. This dramatizes the astronauts' wives, during and after the space program. Starring Sally Field, JoBeth Williams, Rita Wilson, Elizabeth Perkins and more.
– Apollo Moon Shot, 5-9 p.m. ET, Smithsonian. Four of the five documentary hours rerun, concluding with the moon landing. The fifth part – viewing the near-disasters with Apollo 12 and Apollo 13 – airs at 10 p.m. ET

DOCUMENTARIES
– Apollo: The Forgotten Films, 8-10 p.m. ET, Discovery

– Apollo 11, 9-11 p.m. ET, CNN. This is the lush version, using 70mm film, that has been running in movie theaters and, in a shortened version, on IMAX screens.
– The Day We Walked on the Moon, 9 p.m. ET, Smithsonian. Astronauts, their families, and Mission Control members describe the moon mission.
– Confessions From Space: Apollo, 10 p.m. ET, Discovery. This is an Explorers Club session with six key people, including lunar astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins.
– Moon Landing: The Lost Tapes, 10:05 p.m. ET, History.
– Apollo's Hidden Figure, 10:48 p.m. ET, CNN.
A 12-minute profile of JoAnn Morgan, NASA's first female engineer and the only woman in the firing room during the launch of Apollo 11.

MOVIES
– The Right Stuff (1983), 11:30 a.m. ET, BBC America.
This is a brilliant look at the space program – and a rather cheeky one, compared to our renewed reverence for astronauts. Nominated for eight Oscars, including best picture, it won for music, sound, editing, and special effects.

– Gravity (2013), 4 p.m. ET, BBC America. George Clooney and Sandra Bullock face the terror of isolation in space. Nominated for 10 Oscars, including best picture, it won seven, including for director Alfonso Cuaron.

– Hidden Figures (2016), 5 p.m. ET, FXX. Nominated for three Oscars, including best picture, this is the true story of three black women, overlooked at first, who became key NASA mathematicians.

– Space Cowboys (2000), 6 p.m. ET, BBC America. Hey, all the space films can't be winners. Clint Eastwood directed and starred in a so-so film about former astronauts, rescuing a satellite that has equipment which, like them, seems obsolete.

– First Man (2018), 8 p.m. ET, HBO. Following his triumphs with Whiplashand La La Land, Damien Chazelle directed this richly crafted (and fairly involving) film, with Ryan Gosling and Claire Foy as Neil and Janet Armstrong. It was nominated for four technical Oscars, winning for visual effects.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=18524
post #30928 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

TV Review (Streaming)
‘Veronica Mars’ Season 4 (Hulu)
By Caroline Framke, Variety.com

“Veronica Mars” was a slap to the face of high school dramas when it premiered on UPN in 2004. Creator Rob Thomas took the well-worn “who killed the pretty teenager?” whodunnit and hard-boiled it, following a traumatized girl desperately trying to harden herself to the world’s harsh realities as she tried to solve the case. As a heroine, Veronica (an immediately magnetic Kristen Bell) is typically pretty and blonde, but also deeply cynical, furious, and stubborn to a fault. Between trying to reconcile the facts of her best friend’s murder and her own sexual assault, Veronica Mars — a name her friends and enemies alike tend to say in full, such is her outsized stature — spent her evening hours doing stakeouts with a taser in her purse. Outside Veronica herself, the series also took an unflinching look at the inherently imbalanced power dynamics of “a town without a middle class”; many of its storylines about gentrification, corruption, and privilege remain depressingly relevant today.

That first season — taut and smart and genuinely thrilling — still holds up as one of TV’s best debut seasons to date. In fact, the show’s initial sharpness made its subsequent messier chapters feel even duller by comparison. Veronica remained Veronica, but the mysteries surrounding her got scattered and bigger than the scripts could generally handle. Her tortured on-and-off again romance with reformed(ish) bad boy Logan (Jason Dohring) became a revolving carousel of cliches. The final third season, which began with promise but hastily ended in narrative chaos, seriously tested the patience of an otherwise fervent fanbase. And yet the fans still turned out to help Thomas successfully raise money to make a standalone movie (released in 2014) about Veronica’s 10-year high school reunion. It gave her another murder mystery to solve, but was mostly a sentimental parade of familiar faces and greatest hits that made it seem “Veronica Mars” had well and truly run its course.

Now, 15 years after the pilot first aired, Hulu’s 8-episode revival (streaming now, a week ahead of schedule) does its damnedest to prove that there’s more life in the franchise yet. Veronica is back to living and working as a private investigator in Neptune, but this time, she’s on the other side of 30 and living with Logan in a cozy beach-side apartment. Her father and co-worker Keith (Enrico Colantoni) is still recovering from a devastating car crash circa the “Veronica Mars” movie and trying to figure out how much longer he can stay in the PI game. Her high school best friend Wallace (Percy Daggs III) is teaching at Neptune High and married with a kid. Weevil (Francis Capra), Veronica’s least likely ally, is back in his family’s chop shop after making a run at a more sedate family life. Maybe most surprisingly, Logan is working through his anger issues in therapy — and doing all he can to convince Veronica to one day join him on the path to true well-being.

The “Veronica Mars” characters navigating Neptune in their advancing age make for much more interesting stories over the course of Hulu’s eight episodes than the movie ever attempted. Bell and Colantoni are still aces as they both trade snappy comebacks at each other and struggle to accept Keith’s deteriorating health. Bell and Dohring’s once white-hot chemistry has undeniably cooled, but the new dynamic works as Veronica and Logan reevaluate their relationship and the often unhealthy ways they relate to each other. (Veronica’s flirty teasing with Max Greenfield’s dimply federal agent Leo, thankfully, remains perfectly intact.) And after everything Neptune’s put him through, it’s genuinely lovely to see Wallace settle into a happy groove with his family and job, Veronica’s restless eye-rolling about it be damned.

Personal friction aside, it wouldn’t be “Veronica Mars” without a tricky mystery or five to unravel — and this is where the revival stumbles. At first, it seems like the case of a serial bomber targeting businesses during Neptune’s infamously debaucherous spring break might be the perfect way for “Veronica Mars” to express some of its more prescient commentary about class inequality and the whims of the rich, but it spirals in too many different directions to be coherent. J.K. Simmons and Patton Oswalt dig into their roles as an ex-con and attention-seeking bomb victim (respectively), but their scenes quickly get repetitive. The weakest side-plots belong to a potentially shady Congressman (Mido Hamada) known as “the Muslim Barack Obama” and a pair of Mexican cartel buddies whose entire characters seem to be “behead now, ask questions later.” Between them and Veronica’s alarming belligerence towards Weevil this season, it’s concerning, to say the least, that these new stories concerning the few people of color shown in Neptune are so poorly handled. (The exception to this rule is Kirby Howell-Baptise as a snarky bar owner, though that’s mostly thanks to the strength of her and her “Good Place” co-star Bell as a team.) It’s too bad that the detective noir thread of “Veronica Mars” gets so muddled in its 2019 permutation, though perhaps unsurprising given the can’t break the show’s general curse of diminishing returns following that stellar first season.

Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of “Veronica Mars” 4.0 — or at least its most surprising, given the movie so aggressively courting fan favor — is its willingness to push the show in directions that risk alienating its devotees. This season highlights how selfish its heroine can be, why its love story isn’t aspirational, and the folly of believing that catching The Bad Guy means that the danger is gone. It doesn’t always work, but at the very least, it goes down swinging.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/reviews/...ew-1203267516/
post #30929 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
Charter Putting 164 Episodes of ‘Mad About You’ on Spectrum
By Jon Lafayette, Multichannel News - Jul. 18, 2019

In advance of the arrival of new episodes of Mad About You, Charter will be making all 164 episodes of the classic sitcom available to Spectrum subscribers starting Aug. 1.

Charter’s Spectrum Originals is creating a limited series that reunites Paul Reiser and Helen Hunt. Those new episodes are expected to have their debut later this year during the holiday season.

Charter created Spectrum Originals as an added free benefit to retain its cable subscribers. The commercial-free service launched with L.A.’s Finest, a drama starring Gabrielle Union and Jessica Alba produced by Sony and Jerry Bruckheimer.

Also available to Spectrum subscribers is the Spanish-language drama Todo por el Juego.

Upcoming projects include Manhunt: Lone Wolf from Lionsgate and Paradise Lost from Paramount Television.

Mad About You is produced by Sony Pictures Television in association with Comedy Dynamics.

Peter Tolan serves as showrunner, executive producer and writer. Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser executive produce with Brian Volk-Weiss, Michael Pelmont and Matthew Ochacher. Danny Jacobson, who co-created the show with Reiser, serves as an executive consultant.

https://www.multichannel.com/news/ch...ou-on-spectrum
post #30930 of 33006 Old 07-19-2019, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
Brandon Routh to Play Superman Again in 'Arrow'-Verse Crossover
By Rick Porter, The Hollywood Reporter - Jul. 19, 2019

Thirteen years after he last donned Superman's cape, Brandon Routh will play the superhero again in The CW's annual Arrow-verse crossover. He also won't be the only Man of Steel in the story.

Routh, who stars on the network's Legends of Tomorrow as Ray Palmer/The Atom, will play Clark Kent and his heroic alter ego in the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" crossover. It will be the first time he's played the role since the 2006 movie Superman Returns. Tyler Hoechlin, who has recurred on Supergirl as Superman, will also reprise his role in the crossover.

The CW is expected to share details of the crossover Saturday at Comic-Con.

"Crisis on Infinite Earths" will span five of The CW's DC Comics shows — Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and newcomer Batwoman — and is set to begin in December. Three episodes of the event will air before the holiday hiatus, with the remaining two coming in January 2020.

The story is based on a landmark DC Comics miniseries in 1985-86 that did away with the DC multiverse of the time — hence multiple incarnations of Superman — and reset the timeline on one Earth. At the end of Arrow's seventh-season finale in May, Oliver (Stephen Amell) learned from the Monitor (LaMonica Garrett) that he would have to give up his life to save Barry (The Flash's Grant Gustin) and Kara (Supergirl's Melissa Benoist), setting up his death in the final, 10-episode season of Arrow.

In the CW series' continuity, The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and Batwoman are all set on Earth-1, but Supergirl takes place on Earth-38, meaning Kara has to cross dimensions to team up with the other heroes. A post-Crisis reset would likely bring every show to the same Earth.

Deadline first reported the news.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ssover-1225633
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page