Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14765Likes

post #31 of 33314 Old 03-29-2015, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1467 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by veedon View Post
Wow. All these rich guys are cranking out TV movies, TV miniseries, and theatrical films on the first century of the Christian movement, and not one of them shows much respect for the New Testament.
Fire and Brimstone sells. Jesus talking with the poor common folks, not so much.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33314 Old 03-29-2015, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Fire and Brimstone sells. Jesus talking with the poor common folks, not so much.

So I should not expect a scene where a rich young programming executive asks how to inherit eternal life?
post #33 of 33314 Old 03-29-2015, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2335 Post(s)
Liked: 4441
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
So we fill up the first page with mostly useless posts? Count me in.
You know I'll prune 'em after we've had some fun

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 33314 Old 03-29-2015, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Milestone postings?

fredfra used to post milestone posting reminders. For instance, every 10,00th reply. I cannot explain it
post #35 of 33314 Old 03-29-2015, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked: 2135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
But...but...but....

Isn't religion supposed to be about love, kindness and acceptance? I'm feeling so disillusioned right now...
Nayan likes this.
post #36 of 33314 Old 03-29-2015, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
You know I'll prune 'em after we've had some fun
I was hoping, but thanks for confirming.

Cheers, Dave
post #37 of 33314 Old 03-29-2015, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
But...but...but....

Isn't religion supposed to be about love, kindness and acceptance? I'm feeling so disillusioned right now...
At the rest of derailing the tread organized religion of every sort has always been about wealth and dominance but I suspect you know that.
MRinDenver likes this.
post #38 of 33314 Old 03-29-2015, 10:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 708 Post(s)
Liked: 586
It's alive! It may be a newborn but the thread has a long history. Talk about reincarnation...

Looks like next week will be a great week to catch up on hours and hours of stuff I have on my various DVRs, way to much.
post #39 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked: 2838
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
TV Sports
New heights for college basketball
Kentucky's win over Notre Dame on TBS scores a 9.0 rating
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Mar. 26, 2015

The Kentucky men’s college basketball team nearly lost a game for the first time this season on Saturday night, which made TBS a big winner.

The Wildcats’ final-seconds win over Notre Dame to secure a spot in the Final Four became the highest-rated college basketball game in history on cable and the most-watched program ever on TBS, according to Nielsen.

The contest averaged an 8.4 household rating on TBS, peaking with an 11.1 from 10:45 p.m. to 11 p.m.

That topped even the ratings for last year’s Final Four contests, which aired on cable for the first time.

It also averaged 14.7 million total viewers, becoming TBS’s top show ever in total viewers.

The game was up 53 percent over the comparable game last year, and marked the highest-rated Elite Eight contest in that window in the past decade, despite airing on cable, where TBS has a slightly smaller distribution among households than a broadcast channel.

Earlier in the night, the Arizona-Wisconsin contest on TBS was up 24 percent over the same time last year.

Wisconsin and Kentucky became the first two squads to make this year’s final four.

Ratings have been hot during the first two weeks of March Madness, as people tune in to see Kentucky chase an undefeated season.

That feat has not been accomplished in decades, and the Wildcats would also become the first men’s college squad to win 40 games in a season.

CBS’s best hope is that the Wildcats’ record-breaking run continues through next Monday night, when the network airs the championship game, so that the strong numbers will continue.

So far, the tournament is averaging a 6.3 household rating across CBS, TBS, TNT and truTV, up 3 percent over last year.

It’s also averaging 9.9 million total viewers, 2 percent better than last year and the best since 1993.

As you’d expect, March Madness Live, which offers online streams of the game, has also done well. Saturday it delivered 5.2 million live video streams, a single-day record.

So far this postseason, live video streams are up 12 percent over last year.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/new...ball-on-cable/
post #40 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 03:29 AM - Thread Starter

Business Notes
Comcast’s New Customer Service Strategy: More Tweets
By Ralph B. Kline, TIME.com's 'The Motley Fool' Column - Mar. 27, 2015

Comcast seems to be following through on promises made by its CEO Neil Smit to make fixing its customer service woes a priority for 2015.

“The way we interact with our customers — on the phone, online, in their homes — is as important to our success as the technology we provide,” Smit wrote on a company blog. “Put simply, customer service should be our best product.”

The company has already put a respected company veteran, Charlie Herrin, in charge of repairing its broken method of interacting with customers. It has also created an app which lets people know when a technician is en route to their home, ending the previous practice of subscribers having to wait around during a four-hour appointment window.

Now Comcast is taking its efforts to fix its customer relations a step further by hiring 40 workers for its social media team. These new hires will join an existing 20-person group in providing “help with everything from scheduling appointments to troubleshooting Internet problems and setting up DVRs, CNN Money reported.

Why is Comcast doing this?

“We have thousands of people answering service calls on the phone, and for many customers that’s great. But some people would rather go online, and we want to make sure to give them that choice,” Comcast spokeswoman Jennifer Khoury told CNN Money.

The company explained in a press announcement about the hiring effort that it has been using social media since 2007, but the use of platforms including Twitter and Facebook has increased over the years. This has shifted some customer support needs from traditional call centers to the social media team.

"With a much bigger team, we’ll be able to support customers across more platforms. And we’ll be able to get to them faster. A larger team also means that we’ll be able to increase bicoastal and bilingual coverage to make sure we are available 24/7 to customers who speak either English or Spanish.

The social care team has access to all the same advanced tools and training as our call center agents do, which means they can quickly jump in to solve problems. They also have a direct line to our tech teams so they can schedule appointments."

While this effort won’t solve all of Comcast’s problems, it will bring some customers immediate help. It’s not a complete solution to a customer service culture which has been built around retention at any cost, but it’s a solid incremental step that should take pressure off the system.

http://time.com/author/daniel-b-kline-the-motley-fool/
post #41 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 03:32 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Ken Burns’ cancer film highlights Pittsburgh research
By David Templeton, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette - Mar. 30, 2015

Ken Burns was 11 when his mother died of breast cancer, so the topic has been churning in his mind since childhood.

But it took Siddhartha Mukherjee’s Pulitzer Prize-winning book, “The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer,” to inspire his latest project. With the book in hand, Sharon Rockefeller of WETA-TV in Washington, D.C., pressed Mr. Burns to do a documentary based on the book, and after reading it, the famous documentary filmmaker agreed.

Four years later, “Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies,” will air from 9 to 11 tonight on PBS' WQED-TV with the six-hour series continuing through Wednesday. It’s equal parts education, emotion and empowerment, especially for those facing the growing health challenge.

Tonight, local viewers will be introduced to the work of University of Pittsburgh oncologist Bernard Fisher; later in the series, they will learn about Dennis Slamon, a New Castle, Pa., native and Washington & Jefferson College graduate.

Dr. Fisher caused international controversy by suggesting that cancer cells metastasized throughout the body rather than spread like a stain. Based on that idea, he recommended local lumpectomies to remove breast tumors rather than disfiguring radical mastectomies — the traditional treatment of the time that involved removal of the breast, large areas of muscle and various lymph nodes.

Accused of endangering women’s lives, Dr. Fisher became “the most hated doctor in the history of mankind,” the documentary says. But his ideas won the day when studies proved that lumpectomies had survival rates equal to radical mastectomies. Metastasis now explains how cancers spread.

Dr. Slamon, chief of the Division of Hematology/​Oncology and executive vice chairman for research for the University of California, Los Angeles’ Department of Medicine, would help develop Herceptin, the common immunotherapeutic drug to treat HERS2-positive breast cancer. He pressured Genentech Inc. to conduct human clinical trials to test the drug with HER2 representing 20 percent of all breast cancers. The story of “Dennis the Menace” is one of the series’s most dramatic as a pioneer in immunotherapeutic cancer drugs, detailing his aggressive role in pressing to translate breakthroughs into treatments.

Overall, the documentary’s roller-coaster detective story cycles between breakthroughs and setbacks, frustrations and celebrations. Medical advances spawn from scientific ingenuity bolstered by persistence and even happenstance. Expect tears of sorrow but mostly of joy in the personal battles with cancer, including historical ones, that anchor the series.

Such science-based fare falls outside the wheelhouse of documentaries by Mr. Burns and director Barak Goodman, which have largely focused on American war, political biography and American political or cultural phenomena, including baseball, jazz, national parks and Prohibition.

“But this is one of the most satisfying professional projects I’ve ever been engaged in,” Mr. Burns said in an interview last week. “I just feel elated by it.”

Mr. Goodman said no one joined the project knowing how to weave together complicated science about the spectrum of cancers, the politics of funding, its social history and personal battle stories. But they succeeded in stitching together a narrative based largely on chronology but strategically spliced with dramatic personal accounts.

“I’m thrilled how the pieces worked together,” the director said. “My background is in historical documentary filmmaking, but I fell in love with science in doing this. The nice thing is the way we show that scientists aren’t gods ascending among us, but ordinary people, and what they do is understandable.”

A solid foundation of how viruses, genes and environmental factors cause cancer and serve as targets for treatment has led to a second revolution in turning cancer into a manageable condition, Mr. Goodman said.

Today, two-thirds of cancer patients survive at least five years with an ever-growing number who completely overcome it. Mr. Burns said he hopes the series will help persuade Congress to boost funding levels to advance research and save ever more lives.

In the meantime, the real-life detective mystery will keep viewers wide-eyed.

“You can’t make this up,” Mr. Burns said. “It’s better than any fiction, and that’s why I’ve spent my entire life in documentary filmmaking. There is nothing you need to make it more dramatic.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-ra...s/201503300005
post #42 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Busines Notes
Sony's new PlayStation Vue service
By Mike Snider, USA Today's 'Cutting the Cord' Column - Mar. 29, 2015

Sony has entered the cord cutting game with its new streaming TV service PlayStation Vue.

For now, only PlayStation 4 and PS3 owners in Chicago, New York and Philadelphia can sign up for the monthly service, which starts at about $50 per month.

But Sony does plan to expand into new cities later this year. This past week, they let me test-drive the service from my Washington, D.C., area home.

On its face, PlayStation Vue answers some cord-cutting prayers that even Sling TV, which went live last month, does not. For starters, it has more channels — more than 50 in the entry-level package and more than 85 in the $69.95 monthly package.

And for those who can't use an antenna — or don't want to use one — to get local TV signals, PlayStation Vue has live broadcasts from local affiliates for CBS, Fox, NBC and Telemundo. The New York area feed of PS Vue I explored actually had two Fox affiliates.

An obvious shortcoming: content from Disney including ABC, ESPN and Disney channels.

Among the other channels onboard: Comedy Central, CNBC, Discovery Channel, FX, Fox Business and Fox News Channel, USA Network, Food Network, Nickelodeon, TBS and USA. AMC, IFC and Sundance are among new channels coming next month.

At the next-highest monthly price level ($59.99), Vue has regional sports networks, something fans of local sports teams have been unable to get on Net TV offerings so far. The $69.99 monthly package tosses more than 25 additional channels including in Fox College Sports networks and the FXM movie channel and Palladia.

Like Sling TV, there's no contract and there's no new equipment needed, you just download it as an app. For now, Sling TV cuts a larger swath in that it's available nationwide on more devices including computers, Amazon Fire, Roku and Xbox One. Sony says PlayStation Vue will soon be available on iPad and other devices.

Vue's functionality rivals that of Sling TV, too. An all-inclusive guide shows you everything available to watch. You can customize a Favorite Channels menu by tapping the R1 button on the PlayStation controller. Programming can be explored by type, genre, length and age rating. And the system recommends programs by what's most popular right now.

Live TV can be paused, fast-forwarded and reversed. You can tag a favorite show and its episodes will be stored in the cloud for four weeks. And you can also record individual programs — I recorded Marvel's The Avengers — that can be found in My Shows.

The past three days of live programs remain available to watch just in case you missed something. And many networks including CBS and NBC have a library of on-demand programs, too. Overall, there's more than 15,000 hours of on-demand content available.

Video quality is very good (my PS4 was connected via Ethernet to a Verizon FiOS router with speeds up to 75 Megabits per second).

The service might appeal to homes with multiple PlayStation owners because up to three people can watch different Vue content simultaneously on one account.

But there's some obvious shortcomings. The $50-$70 price ranges approaches that of some current pay-TV packages. And considering that Vue doesn't have ESPN, many consumers might have to subscribe to Sling TV, too. Add that $20 monthly bill, along with either an Amazon or Netflix subscription, and the entire cost-cutting reason for dropping traditional pay-TV service fades away.

The good news for current and potential cord-cutters is that the number of online video choices is increasing. Those that best address consumer desires — or evolve to do so — will survive.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2...-vue/70401986/
post #43 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 03:46 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
MONDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)

ABC:
8PM - Dancing with the Stars (120 min., LIVE)
10:01PM - Castle
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Vin Diesel; Van Halen performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - 2 Broke Girls
8:30PM - Mike & Molly
9PM - Scorpion
9:59PM - NCIS: Los Angeles
11:35AM - Late Show with David Letterman (Neil Patrick Harris; Charlie Cox; The Suffers perform)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show with James Corden (David Beckham; Claire Danes; Bob Odenkirk)

NBC:
8PM - The Voice (120 min.)
10PM - The Night Shift
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Helen Mirren; Oscar Isaac; Wale performs with The Roots)
12:36AM - Late Night with Seth Meyers (Nathan Lane; Kristen Schaal; Borns performs)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Becki Newton; Hundred Waters perform; comic Jay Larson)

FOX:
8PM - Gotham
(R - Feb. 23)
9PM - The Following

PBS:
(check your local listing for starting time/programming)
8PM - Antiques Roadshow: Birmingham
9PM - Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies - Magic Bullets (Part 1 of 3, 120 min.)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Amores con Trampa (Series Premiere)
9PM - Hasta El Fin del Mundo
10PM - Que te Perdone Dios... Yo No

THE CW:
8PM - The Originals
(R - Feb. 16)
9PM - Jane the Virgin
(R - Mar. 16)

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - La Biblia
9PM - Tierra de Reyes
10PM - Dueños del Paraíso

COMEDY CENTRAL:
10PM - The Comedy Central Roast: Justin Bieber (122 min.)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Will Forte; magician Justin Willman; Mac DeMarco performs)
post #44 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 04:00 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Journalists And Professors Blast CBS News' Ebola Coverage In Open Letter To '60 Minutes'
By Jackson Connor, HuffingtonPost.com - Mar. 27, 2015

Over 150 journalists and professors sent an open letter to CBS News' "60 Minutes" on Wednesday, claiming the program had misrepresented the continent of Africa by rendering the "people of black African ancestry voiceless and all but invisible" in its coverage.

The letter was sent to "60 Minutes" executive producer Jeff Fager via email and orchestrated by Howard French, an associate professor at Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism and a former senior writer at The New York Times. During his tenure at the Times, French headed the paper's West and Central Africa bureaus and previously taught English literature at the University of Ivory Coast.

French took special issue with the program's handling of the recent Ebola outbreak, a crisis that has claimed some 10,000 lives in countries like Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. He says "60 Minutes" and chief foreign correspondent Lara Logan only interviewed "white foreigners who had come to Liberia to contribute to the fight against the disease."

"In that broadcast, Africans were reduced to the role of silent victims," the letter reads. "They constituted what might be called a scenery of misery: people whose thoughts, experiences and actions were treated as if totally without interest. Liberians were shown within easy speaking range of Logan, including some Liberians whom she spoke about, and yet not a single Liberian was quoted in any capacity."

In addition to French, the letter was signed by a number of notable writers and journalists, including Teju Cole, a New York Times photography critic and novelist who frequently features characters of Nigerian descent in his fiction.

Ultimately, the letter urged CBS News to re-think its approach to covering Africa and shed its stereotypical depictions of the continent in favor of a more nuanced viewpoint.

"Africans themselves are typically limited to the role of passive victims, or occasionally brutal or corrupt villains and incompetents; they are not otherwise shown to have any agency or even the normal range of human thoughts and emotions," the letter reads. "Such a skewed perspective not only disserves Africa, it also badly disserves the news viewing and news reading public."

CBS News pushed back against the criticism in a statement provided to The Huffington Post via email.

“'60 Minutes' is proud of its coverage of Africa and has received considerable recognition for it," a spokesman for the program said. "We have reached out to Mr. French to invite him to discuss this further and we look forward to meeting with him.”

In November, Logan quarantined herself in South Africa following her trip to Liberia and tearfully recounted her experience covering the epidemic during a segment on "60 Minutes Overtime."

"It's really been hard on all of us, not just on me," she said at the time. "The scale of this tragedy and the brutality of this virus, the way it tears through families. And all the children, there's so many children, and such little children, of course that's also one of the things that tears at your heart."

Read the full letter to "60 Minutes" on French's website.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0....html?ir=Media
post #45 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

TV Sports/Business Notes
Mayweather-Pacquiao Boxing Match Sets Off Fight Over Fees
HBO, Showtime spar with pay-TV providers over splitting money from the May 2 welterweight title bout
By Joe Flint, Wall Street Journal - Mar. 30, 2015

Boxers Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao don’t square off until May 2, but the media companies behind the highly anticipated welterweight title bout are already coming to blows over how to split up the money.

At issue are the terms that Time Warner Inc.’s HBO and CBS Corp.’s Showtime want from pay-television distributors to offer the fight on pay-per-view. A price to watch hasn’t been set, but it is expected to be about $90, which would be a new high.

Typically, the split for a pay-per-view fight between distributors and programmers is around 50-50. In this case, HBO, which has rights to Mr. Pacquiao, and Showtime, which has rights to Mr. Mayweather, are seeking much more favorable terms for their fighters.

The initial offer from HBO and Showtime was a 70-30 split, people close to the fight said. Pay-TV providers immediately rejected that and there has been little movement from either side since.

“Everybody at some point will hopefully be rational and we’ll be able to put our heads together and come up with a good solution. We’re not there yet,” said Michael Berman, executive vice president and general counsel of iN Demand, which negotiates on behalf of big cable operators including Comcast Corp. and Time Warner Cable Inc.

Boxing enthusiasts have clamored for this match for years, and it is expected to easily set a pay-per-view revenue record. The current high is $152 million for the 2013 fight between Mr. Mayweather and Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. The pay-per-view price for that fight was $65 for standard definition and $75 for high definition. Over two million viewers purchased it.

Because of the demand, HBO and Showtime think a 50-50 split is a nonstarter. The camps of the boxers, who get the lion’s share of the revenue, ultimately must sign off on any deal.

“I wouldn’t agree to it,” said Bob Arum, chief executive of Top Rank Inc., which handles promotion for Mr. Pacquiao, of a 50-50 split. “I really believe everybody agrees that there has to be a more generous split and they are in the process of working out what it will be.”

HBO Sports Senior Vice President Mark Taffet declined to comment on the state of negotiations beyond saying discussions are “far down the road.”

A spokeswoman for Mr. Mayweather didn’t respond to a request for comment. Showtime declined to comment.

Some distributors are willing to be flexible, but don’t want to just roll over on the terms.

“To the extent the fight performs beyond what we’ve seen in pay-per-view before, we’re happy to consider untraditional economics. Until that point however, it is speculative and therefore the economics should be more traditionally set,” said Rob Jacobson, chief content officer of Vubiquity, which negotiates on behalf of AT&T Inc. and other distributors.

That HBO and Showtime have to jointly negotiate with distributors is also a drag on the pace of the talks, people involved in the negotiations said.

Satellite provider DirecTV, which generally has the highest buy rates for fights, isn’t as optimistic.

“Even in what should be its best of times like now, boxing always seems to manage to give itself a black eye,” said Dan York, chief content officer at DirecTV.

Beyond the proceeds from U.S. pay-per-view buys, the fight is expected to bring in $75 million in event ticket sales, $10 million in international revenue and an additional $10 million in sponsorship.

As for the money that flows to the boxers, 60% will go to Mr. Mayweather while 40% will go to Mr. Pacquiao, according to a split the camps have negotiated.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mayweath...ees-1427669291
post #46 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Talking about pruning, that Mad Men article needed some, (post #10 ) whew!

Can we have maybe a little taste of the article, if he like we can click the link on the original article and spend a good 10 mins reading it there?
dad1153, mchief99, jamieva and 1 others like this.

RIP Mom, we always love you 8/18/13
post #47 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

SUNDAY's fast affiliate overnight prime-time ratings -and what they mean- have been posted on Analyst Marc Berman's Media Insights' Blog.
post #48 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (18-49)
NBC gets a lift from iHeart Radio awards
Special averages a 1.7 in 18-49s, up 21 percent over last year
By Toni Fitzgerald, Media Life Magazine - Mar. 30, 2015

NBC’s Sunday night got a boost from the “iHeart Radio Music Awards.”

The show aired from 8 to 11 p.m. and posted a 1.7 adults 18-49 rating, according to Nielsen overnights, improving on the same timeslot last season by 21 percent.

It also marked the network’s best rating in the timeslot since the “Saturday Night Live” 40th anniversary special last month.

The awards show, featuring stars including Justin Timberlake and Taylor Swift, was even to last year, when it aired on a Thursday night on NBC.

It wasn’t quite enough to boost NBC to first place for the night in the demo, though, as CBS rode another strong afternoon of college basketball to first place.

Runover for the second game of the day, between Duke and Gonzaga, averaged a 3.5 from 7 to 7:30 p.m., giving lead-out “60 Minutes” a lift. “Minutes” posted a 2.1 to finish as the No. 2 program of the night behind basketball.

Meanwhile, ABC and Fox’s programming saw declines last night. Fox aired repeats up until back-to-back episodes of “Last Man on Earth” at 9 p.m., which averaged a 1.4 and 1.2, down 26 percent and 29 percent, respectively, from last week.

ABC’s entire lineup was down as well, including “Once Upon a Time,” the night’s top scripted show, which tied a series low with a 1.7.

The new drama “Secrets & Lies” posted a 1.3, off 13 percent from last week.

Top show of the night in 18-49s:

CBS’s “NCAA Tournament Overrun,” 3.5 rating from 7-7:30 p.m.

Top show of the night in 25-54s:
CBS’s “NCAA Tournament Overrun,” 4.4 rating from 7-7:30 p.m.

Top show of the night in total viewers:
CBS’s “NCAA Tournament Overrun,” 15.3 million from 7-7:30 p.m.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/nbc...-radio-awards/

TV/Nielsen Notes
And now, the roast of Justin Bieber
He may be the perfect target: Martha to Snoop Dogg take aim
By Media Life Magazine Staff - Mar. 30, 2015

It seems as though Justin Bieber has been hurtling toward this day for basically his entire career.

The oft-maligned singer, who shot to fame as a teenage YouTube sensation, is the target of the jokes on “The Comedy Central Roast of Justin Bieber,” airing tonight at 10 p.m.

The object of a roast is, of course, to abuse the main subject verbally. Every Comedy Central roast has an odd collection of roasters serving up those jibes, but this may be the most diverse yet.

Those delivering the takedowns include Martha Stewart, Shaquille O’Neal, Hannibal Buress, Ludacris, Jeffrey Ross and host Kevin Hart. The show was pretaped earlier this month.

The jokes get a bit out of hand, as they often do at this sort of thing. Snoop Dogg makes a crack about Bieber’s mother aborting him, and Ross makes a joke about late actor Paul Walker, star of the “Fast and Furious” franchise.

Comedy Central did decide to remove the Walker joke, saying it crossed the line. But the abortion one remains in.

The program should draw decent numbers, as Comedy Central roasts always do, even if it’s not appropriate for Bieber’s target demo, teenage girls, to watch.

For instance, a 2013 roast of actor James Franco drew 3.1 million total viewers, including 2.4 million adults 18-49, according to Nielsen.

http://www.medialifemagazine.com/and...justin-bieber/
post #49 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Mar. 30, 2015

THE CHINA SYNDROME
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

This intense thriller, released in March 1979, presented a story of a TV fluff feature reporter (Jane Fonda) and her more radicalized cameraman (Michael Dougas) doing a piece on state-of-the-art nuclear energy when a power-plant manager in California (Jack Lemmon) shifts from proud proponent to concerned canary in a radioactive coal mine. At the time, the movie went nuclear itself, due to an astounding and frightening coincidence: 12 days after the film’s release, an accident similar to the meltdown dramatized in its fictional story occurred at the Three Mile Island nuclear plant in Pennsylvania. Even divorced from those real-life headlines, though, The China Syndrome is frightening – and very intense, with all three leading actors turning in memorable performances.

CANCER: THE EMPEROR OF ALL MALADIES
PBS, 8:00 p.m.
Part 1 of 3.
Ken Burns presents this three-part, six-hour documentary, which is directed by Barak Goodman and based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book by Siddhartha Mukherjee, who also appears in this PBS study. Edward Herrmann narrates, gently taking viewers on a tour that shows how the world has fought the war against cancer – on several fronts, and across many decades, sometimes with frustrating results. Mukherjee’s point is that we have to know how we’ve treated this disease over the years to understand what we’re doing wrong – and how, perhaps, to approach from other directions. Surprisingly, this first two-hour installment goes back centuries, then works its way back to relatively modern times – and WWI, and the popularization of cigarettes and the increase of lung cancer. The sequence on how scientists linked lung cancer to cigarettes, over the years, is especially fascinating. Check local listings. Check local listings.

BETTER CALL SAUL
AMC, 10:00 p.m. ET

This is the penultimate episode of this fabulous first season of Better Call Saul, and an episode that, based on promos, may fracture the fraternal bonds between Jimmy McGill (Bob Odenkirk, soon to take on the persona of Saul) and his older brother Chuck (Michael McKean). And while Jimmy may be fighting the acquisition of new partners, Mike (Jonathan Banks) reluctantly is seeking them out.

THE COMEDY CENTRAL ROAST OF JUSTIN BIEBER
Comedy Central, 10:00 p.m. ET

This could be the point, and certainly is perceived and promoted by its subject as such, where the 21-year-old misbehaving celebrity owns up to his bad-boy past, demonstrates a sense of humor while watching others joke about it, and moves on to a new, more mature phase of his life. Or, it could just be the latest in a series of stunningly stupid missteps and mistakes. Time will tell. Meanwhile, here’s this newest roast from Comedy Central. Kevin Hart hosts, and Will Ferrell is one of the roasters – in his Ron Burgandy character.

BROADCAST NEWS
TCM, 10:15 p.m. ET

James L. Brooks, who already had generated one wonderful piece of pop-culture entertainment about TV newsrooms as co-executive producer of CBS’s The Mary Tyler Moore Show, provided another in this very funny, very smart 1987 movie. Albert Brooks (no relation) plays a talented but less than dynamic news correspondent, William Hurt plays the good-looking but vapid anchor rising quickly through the ranks, and Holly Hunter plays the TV news producer who deals with them both. It’s a delightful film, and, like Paddy Cheyefsky’s Network, also serves as a searing satire of the TV medium, written by someone who knew it well.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

Critic's Notes
ABC's 'Dancing with the Stars' Still Dances with Emotion
By Ed Martin, TVWorthWatching.com - Mar. 30, 2015

Anyone who thinks ABC’s Dancing with the Stars has worn out its welcome – that there isn’t a compelling reason to continue watching this veteran competition program – must be prompted to reevaluate his or her assertion after last week’s show...

After all, when was the last time a network television series packed the kind of emotional power we saw Monday on Dancing (televised at 8 p.m. ET) when Iraq War veteran and double amputee Noah Galloway – one of this season’s more popular competitors – was surprisingly reunited with his girlfriend Jamie Boyd, whom he hadn’t seen in six months. Extra emo bonus: The reason Galloway hadn’t seen her in so long is because she has been in Army Reserve training, preparing to serve her country!

When Boyd was brought into the ballroom after Galloway danced with partner Sharna Burgess and a stunned Galloway grabbed her and held her close, there wasn’t a dry eye in the ballroom. I’ll wager there weren’t many dry eyes among the millions watching at home, either.

What a moment of spontaneous and unexpected emotion – one that likely took viewers at home as much by surprise as it did Galloway. Television moves people in many ways much of the time, as do so many of those videos on YouTube and elsewhere that capture moments of heart-rending happiness and compassion, but those moments rarely feel as true as this one. I think it was something about the way Noah held onto Jamie that made it so special.

The Galloway-Boyd reunion got me to thinking about this particular kind of unplanned, unrehearsed and unexpected display of pure joy and its relative rarity in a medium that prides itself on establishing and sustaining every kind of emotional connection imaginable.

The only other recent example that came to mind was the Oscar moment during The Theory of Everything star Eddie Redmayne’s lovely acceptance speech at the Academy Awards, when he was suddenly overcome by everything that was happening to him. He stopped talking, stared at the Oscar clutched in his hand, and let out a little scream or cry or whatever that sound was. There were many beautiful, heartfelt speeches during that overlong show, but there was something about Redmayne’s spontaneous reaction that burst through it all and resonated long after the Awards ended.

With so much content coming at us from so many different directions — much of it in the form of millions of videos shot by everyday people who happen to capture unplanned moments and post them on YouTube for all to forever see – it has become increasingly rare for viewers to experience such moments of genuine emotional truth in the media, especially on television, where plotted responses and reactions are the norm. Think of the intense planning and plotting that goes into so many of those unscripted “observational reality” programs.

It’s the pre-programmed anticipation and expectation that often form a bit of a barrier between a sudden expression of emotion and the experience of witnessing it as it happens. For example, one doesn’t watch an important football game without expecting to respond to the action, or to watch as the players on screen do the same. Depending on the outcome of the play, the athletes involved cheer, high five each other, jump around or swear under their breaths and growl a bit. The same is true in all professional sports games on the field, in the seats and in living rooms across the land.

Similarly, one doesn't watch an overtly manipulative show like ABC's The Bachelor without expecting to be overtly manipulated. It's the raison d'etre of the franchise.

With all that emotion making itself felt on both sides of every screen with ever growing frequency, I find that truly unexpected moments of a certain power are increasingly few and far between. This isn’t easy to explain, but to begin I think that real reactions can only come during a live shared experience. Everything else on television (and on the Internet) has been produced or edited, or somehow packaged and displayed, to generate a certain response.

There is no shortage of emotional connectivity in television and video content, to be sure. But those moments that can’t be planned, or likely even imagined, are becoming harder to find, or perhaps to identify. The amazing and inspiring Noah Galloway and his girlfriend Jamie Boyd reminded us last Monday night that nothing is impossible, that we aren’t necessarily as jaded as we might believe and that there are wonderful surprises still to be enjoyed simply by watching television.

It certainly made my week, and I don’t think I’m alone in my reaction.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/post/...h-Emotion.aspx
post #50 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
‘Murder In The First’ Co-Creator Eric Lodal Exits TNT Drama
By Nellie Andreeva and Matthew Grobar, Deadline.com - Mar. 30, 2015

EXCLUSIVE: Murder In The First executive producer Eric Lodal has left the TNT crime drama series, which he co-created and co-ran with Steven Bochco. I hear the abrupt departure happened yesterday, midway through production on the show’s upcoming second season. Veteran Bochco will continue as the sole executive producer/showrunner. “We thank Eric for his good work and wish him well in his future endeavors,” a TNT spokesperson said in a statement to Deadline.

The network would not comment on the circumstances surrounding Lodal’s departure. According to sources close to the series, there have been issues involving staff on the show and production deadlines. Murder In The First is currently filming Episode 6 of its 12-episode second season.

A departure from the usual crime procedural, Murder In The First follows San Francisco homicide detectives Terry English (Taye Diggs) and Hildy Mulligan (Kathleen Robertson) as they investigate a complex case over the span of one entire season.

In its first season, Murder In The First averaged more than 4.7 million viewers in Live+7 delivery, including 1.3 million adults 25-54. Through TNT’s various platforms, the series reached an average of 9.2 million viewers through live television viewing, DVR playback, set-top VOD and digital on-demand.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/murder-i...nt-1201400959/
post #51 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Trevor Noah to Succeed Jon Stewart on ‘The Daily Show’
By Jordan Chariton And Debbie Emery, TheWrap.com - Mar. 30, 2015

“The Daily Show” newcomer Trevor Noah will be the new host of the Comedy Central flagship after Jon Stewart exits later this year, the channel announced Monday.

Network president Michele Ganeless praised the 31-year-old in a statement:

“Trevor Noah is an enormous talent. He has an insightful and unique point of view, and most importantly, is wickedly funny. For the next host of ‘The Daily Show,’ we set out to find a fresh voice who can speak to our audience with a keen take on the events of the day, and we found that in Trevor. He has a huge international following and is poised to explode here in America, and we are thrilled to have him join Comedy Central.”

Jon Stewart also lauded Noah: “I’m thrilled for the show and for Trevor. He’s a tremendous comic and talent that we’ve loved working with … In fact, I may rejoin as a correspondent just to be a part of it!!!”

The biracial South African made his debut on the program in December, making just three appearances. He tweeted Monday, emphasizing nobody can replace the legendary Stewart.

No-one can replace Jon Stewart. But together with the amazing team at The Daily Show, we will continue to make this the best damn news show!
— Trevor Noah (@Trevornoah) March 30, 2015

“I never thought I’d be more afraid of police in America than in South Africa,” Noah said in his debut on the show. “It kind of makes me a little nostalgic for the old days, back home.”

Speaking to The New York Times, Noah said he was still in shock over his ascension to host.

“You don’t believe it for the first few hours,” he told the Times about his new role. “You need a stiff drink, and then unfortunately you’re in a place where you can’t really get alcohol,” he continued, speaking from Dubai.

Noah was raised in Soweto, a township near Johannesburg in South Africa during the era of Apartheid. “There was literally nobody like me in the area. There was nobody who looked like me,” said the comedian, who has a black South African mother and white Swiss-German father.

“My mom used to get arrested for being with my dad,” Noah revealed on The Artie Lange Show in 2013. “She would get fined. She would spend weekends in jail.

Beginning his career as a teen actor, Noah starred in a soap opera in his homeland, as well as performing standup, and hosting TV and radio shows.

He went on to became the first comic from South Africa to perform on “The Tonight Show With Jay Leno” in 2012, and then appeared on “Late Night With David Letterman” in 2013.

Noah was first introduced on “The Daily Show” in a segment called “Spot the Africa,” in which he talked about the shooting of unarmed teen Michael Brown in Ferguson, Missouri, and has since impressed both his bosses and the network.

http://www.thewrap.com/trevor-noah-t...y-show-report/
post #52 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLar View Post

Can we have maybe a little taste of the article, if he like we can click the link on the original article and spend a good 10 mins reading it there?
...or you can do what I do and just press Page Down, Page Down, Page Down... "I know this post has to end some day..." I'd probably break my mouse's scroll wheel within a week if I tried to use it to scroll through all the posts this thread gets.
post #53 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Cable)
'The Waking Dead' Finale Fetches Nearly 16 Million Viewers
By Michael O'Connell, The Hollywood Reporter's 'Live Feed' Blog - Mar. 30, 2015

This should come as absolutely no surprise, but quite a lot of people tuned into The Walking Dead finale on Sunday night.

TV's highest rated series — yes, it's still bigger than Empire — nabbed a finale best 15.8 million viewers and 10.4 million adults 18-49 on Sunday night. Those are still powerhouse numbers, even if they come shy of the series highs set with the fifth season's opener.

Once time-shifting is taken into account, The Walking Dead finale will likely exceed more than 20 million viewers and 14 million adults 18-49.

There was one record set on Sunday night. The Talking Dead brought in its best episode to date, pulling 7.5 million viewers — 4.9 million of them adults 18-49.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...ches-16-785326

Nielsen Overnights (Cable)
'Killing Jesus' Nabs Nat Geo Ratings Record With 3.7 Million Viewers

Third time was the charm of National Geographic Channel. The cable network debuted its latest scripted effort on Sunday night, its third adaptation in Bill O'Reilly's Killing book series, and earned its most-watched telecast to date.

The three-hour Killing Jesus averaged 3.7 million viewers. That's up 300,000 from the previous pics about Presidents Kennedy and Lincoln. Timing the launch to Easter week, and hoping to capitalize on the overall interest in religious fare, Killing Jesus also brought in a 1.0 rating among adults 25-54.

Killing Jesus will likely gross quite a few more viewers over the course of the week — on corporate sibling Fox News Channel. The home of O'Reilly, it will air the telepic on April 3 (Good Friday) and April 5 (Easter Sunday).

This collaboration was not without its share of controversy. The premiere and promotional ramp-up, coincided with recent shots at O'Reilly's credibility — including facts in his 2012 tome Killing Kennedy. Apparently this didn't put much of a damper on Jesus.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...nat-geo-785319
post #54 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sorry, I thought it was a page-turner (or in this case a down-scroller ) of an article worth sharing. In the future I'll consider putting a portion and then a 'If you'd like to read the rest, click on link below' line at the bottom. But if I consider a lengthy article worth reading then the whole thing goes, in and long... wait, that didn't come out right.
post #55 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
‘The Mortal Instruments’ Series: ABC Family Orders ‘Shadowhunters’
By Elizabeth Wagmeister, Variety.com - Mar. 30, 2015

ABC Family has ordered “Shadowhunters,” a series based on “The Mortal Instruments” franchise, Variety has learned.

The project marks the cabler’s first scripted “saga-to-series,” based on the bestselling book series by Cassandra Clare, who commented, “I’m excited to see ABC Family bring the world of the ‘Shadowhunters’ to life. As a huge fan of longform television drama, I can’t wait to see the story unfold and for the fans to have more time with the world and the characters.”

“Shadowhunters” follows 18-year-old Clary Fray, who finds out on her birthday that she is not who she thinks she is, and she comes from a long line of Shadowhunters — human-angel hybrids who hunt down demons. When Clary’s mother Jocelyn is kidnapped, Clary is thrown into the world of demon hunting with mysterious Shadowhunter Jace and her best friend, Simon. Living among faeries, warlocks, vampires and werewolves, Clary begins a journey of self-discovery as she learns more about her past and what her future may hold.

“‘Shadowhunters’ is a big epic saga that will resonate with viewers who come to ABC Family for the ‘Harry Potter,’ ‘Hunger Games,’ and ‘Twilight’ franchises,” said ABC Family president Tom Ascheim. “A New York Times bestseller for 122-consecutive weeks, with over 35 million copies in print worldwide, ‘Shadowhunters’ is the perfect story to share with our audience.”

Karey Burke, ABC Family exec VP of programming and development, commented, “Clary is a strong, dynamic and captivating character that our audience will immediately identify with. They will want her to succeed and will root for her on her journey to become who she was always meant to be. The series has a passionate fanbase and an expansive universe that can sustain multiple seasons to come.”

The saga’s 2013 bigscreen adaptation, “The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones,” starred Lily Collins as Clary, and Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace.

The series will be produced by Constantin Film, with Ed Decter (“Unforgettable,” “Helix”) serving as exec producer and showrunner.

“Shadowhunters” is set to go into production this May in Toronto. No premiere date or casting has been announced.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/the-...es-1201462608/
post #56 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Sorry, I thought it was a page-turner (or in this case a down-scroller ) of an article worth sharing. In the future I'll consider putting a portion and then a 'If you'd like to read the rest, click on link below' line at the bottom. But if I consider a lengthy article worth reading then the whole thing goes, in and long... wait, that didn't come out right.
I hate having to click links and I think you've done a great job since taking over for Fred, so just keep up the good work.
joblo, archiguy, aaronwt and 4 others like this.

Cheers, Dave
post #57 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

post #58 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 09:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:

NO!! No, no, no, no, no, no, a thousand times NOOOO!

The whole reason I read this thread is so I can scroll through one long page in one place, instead of having to do 50 gazillion clicks that generate 50 gazillion ads each in order to see what’s happening in the TV world.

I absolutely definitely 100% do NOT want this thread to become an excerpt thread where I have to click to some other site to see the whole article. I mean, that’s ok if there are copyright restrictions that require it, in which case an excerpt is better than nothing, of course.

But I saw nothing whatsoever wrong with the Mad Men post, and I cannot emphasize that strongly enough. As it happens, I scrolled past it, because that show is still well down my Netflix binge list, but that’s beside the point. If I were up to date on the show, I’d appreciate being able to read the whole article right here in HotP, thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
I'd probably break my mouse's scroll wheel within a week if I tried to use it to scroll through all the posts this thread gets.
No offense, but you need a better mouse.

I’ve been scrolling this thread – and for that matter, every other thread on AVS and every other forum I read – for years, and neither my mouse nor my fingers are any the worse for wear.

I’d much rather scroll than click. The more clicks a web site requires to get the info I’m looking for, the more likely I am to look for another site.
post #59 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 121
And p.s. to previous, please keep up the great work, dad! Two thumbs up and no complaints whatsoever. I very much appreciate all of your effort, so thanks very much for all you do!
DrDon, DoubleDAZ and Nayan like this.
post #60 of 33314 Old 03-30-2015, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1849 Post(s)
Liked: 1642
I'd rather scroll than click, too. I was just saying that it may be faster to use the keyboard than the mouse depending upon what you have the default scroll distance on your mouse set to.

A simple approach to appease both camps would be to enclose huge articles in spoiler tags, but that still requires at least one click to see each article, too. It's still much faster than having to load a separate site, but I'm not bothered by scrolling.

I'd rather have dad do whatever is most convenient for him, because he's the one posting a dozen articles each day so that I don't have to look for them myself, and I don't want him to stop.
joblo, DoubleDAZ and Nayan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page