Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 550 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13459Likes

post #16471 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
Well, I respectfully disagree. Heart attack, aneurism, etc. are all considered 'natural causes' so if it was one of those then it would be a correct statement.
I agree, but I never understood the hesitation to disclose the actual cause of death in the first place. All that does is foment rumors/questions and the "truth" usually comes out anyway. How hard is it to say heart attack...or even heart attack as a result of years of drug use, when that's the case? Be honest let's any "story" die more quickly than being vague, at least IMHO.
Nayan likes this.

Cheers, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16472 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5882 Post(s)
Liked: 6468
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDAZ View Post
Well, in the spirit of full disclosure, I always wonder about ratings for those too and ask much the same question you do, what is everyone else doing, not just watching? I've never paid much attention to ratings, though I do admit I've tried to watch things because they were highly rated only to find they held no interest for me. I know there has to be a scorecard, but there seems to be a lot of hubbub over what a pretty small number of eyeballs think.
As always, it's about money. More eyeballs = higher rates charged to advertisers = more money. FOX News has always been insanely profitable for 20th Century Fox. They were that way right out of the box, relying less on field reporters, foreign bureaus, and actual expensive news gathering operations in favor of more studio-based opinion and analysis. That was by design, all part of their original pro-forma. The 2004 documentary Outfoxed describes how the network was planned and created in great detail, if you're interested.
post #16473 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 10353
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemyM View Post
I used Waze up until about a month ago after the traffic in my Garmin stopped being reliable about a year ago. I read a story comparing the apps and gave Google maps a shot and like it better. Waze did a couple of head scratching reroutes with the crazy traffic we have around here and I got tired of the endless car stopped on shoulder ahead alerts.
Your comment is interesting as I live in Norwalk and have experienced the same issue with the 2 Garmins we have. Traffic functions very inconsistent so I contacted Garmin and got some lame stories about my hardware being defective. I said that this is a very unusual coincidence that 2 different model units should suffer the same malfunction. Both hapened after the last update. They said that they are replacing both units. We shall see.
Sorry if I went off topic.

LG Oled65E6P, Arcam AVR400, OPPO UDP-203, ATV4, Samsung DVR, Rega P3 turntable, Bellari VP130 Phono Pre Amp, Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand SE Fronts, Vienna Acoustic Maestro Center, Vienna Acoustic Bach Rears, Rel T7i Sub, Bluesound Vault 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #16474 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 07:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked: 656
Drudge is reporting that Roger Moore has died...

CC

Who knew "flammable" and "inflammable" mean the same thing???
post #16475 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 218
Yup. Cancer at age 89
post #16476 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 07:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1395 Post(s)
Liked: 2417
Sir Roger Moore obituary

Actor who brought humour, panache and suavity to his starring roles in The Saint, The Persuaders! and seven James Bond films

Sir Roger Moore, who has died aged 89, considered himself to be only the fourth best actor to have played Ian Fleming’s secret-service agent James Bond on screen: in his estimation, he came in behind Daniel Craig (whom he called “the Bond”), Sean Connery and George Lazenby. Though Moore was rarely regarded as the best or most definitive Bond, his inimitable humour and panache made him many viewers’ favourite. His tally of seven films – beginning with Live and Let Die (1973) and ending with A View to a Kill (1985) – equalled that of Connery, though Moore occupied the role for a longer consecutive period. He was eloquent on the distinction between their portrayals. “Sean played Bond as a killer and I played Bond as a lover,” he said. Only on Fridays did he resemble a cold-blooded mercenary: “That’s the day I received my paychecks.”

His casting was sometimes erroneously considered to be the catalyst for a new-found levity in the series; in fact, the two films prior to his arrival (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, 1969, and Diamonds Are Forever, 1971) had already tipped the tone towards silliness. What Moore did very cannily was to underline the absurdity of Bond himself. “My whole reaction was always – he is not a real spy,” he said. “You can’t be a real spy and have everybody in the world know who you are and what your drink is. That’s just hysterically funny.”

Irreverence and knowingness were integral to his interpretation. But he also seemed far more plausibly endangered as Bond than Connery had ever been. Part of the viewer’s affection and even concern for him could be attributed to his advanced age: Moore was already 45 when he was cast as Bond, whereas Connery made his debut at 32 and Craig was 37. This contributed to the sense that Moore’s wellbeing was actively at risk on screen. Subjected to punishing levels of G-force on a flight simulator in Moonraker (1979) or dismantling a bomb while dressed as a clown in Octopussy (1983), he looked uniquely vulnerable. Clambering up the Eiffel Tower and the Golden Gate Bridge in A View to a Kill seemed inadvisable behaviour for a man of 56.

His range was modest, as he was the first to admit. He credited his success to “99% luck”, and singled out the 1970 supernatural thriller The Man Who Haunted Himself, in which he played a businessman who appears to be living two lives, as “the only film I was allowed to act in”. Such self-deprecation only encouraged critics to contribute their own jibes: Anthony Lane of the New Yorker said that Moore “needed a stunt double for his acting scenes” in the Bond films.

Moore became an object of mild mockery after the 1980s satirical TV show Spitting Image featured a puppet of him that expressed its emotions solely through its eyebrows. The joke proved robust, but not everyone realised that Moore had cracked it first. “The eyebrows thing was my own fault,” he said. “I was talking about how talentless I was and said I have three expressions: eyebrow up, eyebrow down and both of them at the same time. And they used it – very well, I must say.”

He was born in London, to Lily (nee Pope), a housewife, and George Moore, a police constable whose responsibilities included drawing accident scenes to be used in evidence in court. Roger himself had artistic ambitions early in life. He left school at 15 to accept a job as a trainee animator at Publicity Picture Productions, but was sacked a few months later when he neglected to collect a can of film.

Tagging along with friends in 1945 to auditions for film extras, Moore was picked to appear in a non-speaking role as a legionnaire in Caesar and Cleopatra, starring Vivien Leigh and Claude Rains. The film’s first assistant director, Brian Desmond Hurst, took Moore under his wing and encouraged him to audition for Rada. When Moore was accepted, Hurst paid his fees. He left at 18 to become a supporting player in the repertory company of the Arts theatre, Cambridge, before he was called up for military service. Posted to Germany, he succeeded in getting a transfer to the Combined Services Entertainment unit. In 1946, he had married Doorn Van Steyn, a fellow Rada student.

After three years in the army, Moore returned to acting, landing small roles in theatre and film, as well as appearing as a model for knitting patterns and in photo stories. He moved to New York City in 1953 with his second wife, the singer Dorothy Squires (Moore and Van Steyn had divorced earlier that year), and began getting acting work on US television. He signed a contract with MGM and was cast in a series of unmemorable films, including The Last Time I Saw Paris (1954) and Interrupted Melody (1955). Returning to Britain, he took the lead in a 1958 television adventure series adapted from Walter Scott’s novel Ivanhoe.

Other regular TV roles of increasing size followed, including two western series, The Alaskans and Maverick, before Moore finally became a bona fide star, playing the crime-fighter and playboy Simon Templar in the popular television crime series The Saint. Produced by Lew Grade, it ran from 1962 until 1969. Moore, who also directed nine episodes, brought a suavity to the part which makes it a clear precursor of his work as James Bond; even his habit in early episodes of looking directly at the camera prefigures the later Bonds, where he all but winks at the audience.

Two years after The Saint ended, Moore was cast once more as a playboy adventurer in another Grade TV series, The Persuaders!, in which he was teamed with Tony Curtis. The odd-couple pairing (Moore, as Lord Brett Sinclair, was dapper; Curtis, playing Danny Wilde, was a ruffian) and the action staged in glamorous locations made the series a hit. Moore also directed two episodes. During this period, he was appointed the head of Brut Films, an offshoot of the cologne manufacturer. He tried unsuccessfully to entice Cary Grant to make his acting comeback in a Brut production, but succeeded in recruiting him as one of the company’s advisers. Moore was also instrumental in the making of A Touch of Class, the 1973 romantic comedy for which Glenda Jackson won her second Oscar.

His brief tenure as a mogul was abbreviated when he signed a three-film contract to play James Bond, a part which demanded no adjustment to the persona he had already established. Live and Let Die, an attempt to modernise the series with gritty blaxploitation trappings, still had its share of daftness; in one scene, Bond escapes across water using a row of alligators as stepping stones. Moore’s performance here and in his second outing, The Man with the Golden Gun (1974), was cool and confident.

But it is his third Bond film, The Spy Who Loved Me (1977), which is rightly considered his pinnacle. The writing, direction and production design were impressive, the action more than usually taut, and the balance of comedy and suspense acutely judged – as in the iconic opening sequence in which Bond escapes falling to his death by opening a parachute emblazoned with the Union Jack. (The film was released in the Queen’s silver jubilee year.) Moore appeared relaxed but never complacent. He even came up with some of the movie’s nicest touches, such as the moment when Bond, emerging from an underwater drive, deposits a small fish out of his car window.

In between the Bond films, Moore moonlighted in other roles, including Gold (1974), a mining adventure shot in Johannesburg, the romantic comedy That Lucky Touch (1975) and the war movie Shout at the Devil (1975), co-starring Lee Marvin. But nothing came close to eclipsing his day job.

Outside the Bond series, he rarely deviated from action, appearing in quick succession in Escape to Athena (1979), North Sea Hijack and The Sea Wolves (both 1980). The Wild Geese (1978), a clunky, crypto-racist thriller about ageing mercenaries, was unusual in showcasing a more brutal side to Moore. Though he was seen pushing villains to their deaths in The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only (1981), nothing compared to the opening scene of The Wild Geese, in which he kills a drug dealer by forcing him to ingest large quantities of cocaine at gunpoint.

Moonraker (1979), among the silliest of the Bond series, was rushed into production to capitalise on the Star Wars-inspired craze for all things space-related. Moore had a gas playing a mummy’s boy who believes himself to be Roger Moore in the US ensemble comedy The Cannonball Run (1981), before returning to Bond in the comparatively sober For Your Eyes Only and the positively quaint Octopussy. Moore bowed out, not before time, with A View to a Kill, where he looked understandably wary to be sharing the screen, not to mention a bed, with the ferocious Grace Jones.

Though the producer Albert R “Cubby” Broccoli suggested in his autobiography that Moore had refused to accept that his time in the role was over, the actor later denied this. Once free of Bondage, Moore lost his appetite for acting and took on only a handful of roles, few of them distinguished. He had been due to return to the stage in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Aspects of Love in 1989, but dropped out shortly before opening night, blaming inadequacies in his singing voice.

He joined his friend Michael Caine in Bullseye! (1990), a pitiful Michael Winner comedy in which they played two characters apiece. He also appeared in The Quest (1996), directed by its star, the action hero Jean-Claude Van Damme, and in the Spice Girls’ vehicle Spice World (1997). He had a supporting part in the two-hour pilot for a new series of The Saint (2013), but the show was not commissioned. In 2012, he undertook a highly successful UK stage tour of An Evening With Roger Moore, in which he reflected on his life and career.

Moore devoted much of his time to being a goodwill ambassador for Unicef; it was for this humanitarian work that he was knighted in 2003. He had left Britain in the late 1970s to avoid what he considered the prohibitive tax rate for high earners, and took homes in countries including Switzerland and Monaco. Money continued to be much on his mind: his 2008 autobiography, My Word Is My Bond, is peppered with variations on the line “a rather nice deal was agreed with my agent”.

Moore admitted to being a lifelong hypochondriac; among those to whom he expressed thanks in the acknowledgements of his autobiography are five GPs, four cardiologists, two dermatologists and a proctologist. He visibly enjoyed his time as Bond and expressed only occasional regrets about his career. “I spent my life playing heroes because I looked like one,” he said. “Practically everything I’ve been offered didn’t require much beyond looking like me. I would have loved to play a real baddie.”

He is survived by his fourth wife, Kristina Tholstrup, whom he married in 2002, and by three children – Deborah, Geoffrey and Christian – from his third marriage, to the actor Luisa Mattioli, which ended in divorce.

• Roger George Moore, actor, born 14 October 1927; died 23 May 2017

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ond?CMP=twt_gu
dad1153 and ti-triodes like this.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #16477 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 07:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2197 Post(s)
Liked: 2397
Quote:
Well, I respectfully disagree. Heart attack, aneurism, etc. are all considered 'natural causes' so if it was one of those then it would be a correct statement.
Naturally you are correct, but dying at age 52 is not typical of our natural lifespan. A heart attack could be a natural cause, but IMHO having a heart attack at 52 isn't natural.
post #16478 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
As always, it's about money. More eyeballs = higher rates charged to advertisers = more money. FOX News has always been insanely profitable for 20th Century Fox. They were that way right out of the box, relying less on field reporters, foreign bureaus, and actual expensive news gathering operations in favor of more studio-based opinion and analysis. That was by design, all part of their original pro-forma.
I get that it's about money, just surprises me that so few eyeballs have that much impact on the bottom line. As for the rest of your comments, no comment.

Cheers, Dave
post #16479 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
Naturally you are correct, but dying at age 52 is not typical of our natural lifespan. A heart attack could be a natural cause, but IMHO having a heart attack at 52 isn't natural.
Yeah, my uncle died at the ripe old age of 49 of a heart attack. Natural causes, or eating way too much fried food and smoking a pack a day?
post #16480 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Yeah, my uncle died at the ripe old age of 49 of a heart attack. Natural causes, or eating way too much fried food and smoking a pack a day?
Same here, my dad died at 57 for the same "official" reason, but he was an even heavier smoker. 3 packs of unfiltered cigarettes per day was the "real" cause, but that's never what goes on the death certificate. His brother died at 49 and was also a heavy smoker.

Cheers, Dave
post #16481 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 10:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked: 2855
Quote:
Genetics has a lot to do with individual health, but you can also worry yourself to death over your lifestyle. Every day we are bombarded about what is good or bad for us. We can read a study that will say such and such will kill us, but a year later a new study will tell us the opposite. I'm fortunate to have great genetics (my grandmother and aunt on my mother's side lived to be 97), but as much as I tell myself those studies will constantly reverse themselves so don't let them influence you, I find myself too often influenced by them and it pisses me off. Eventually I right the ship and do what I want to do. But it is that back and forth that messes with the mind, and that, IMO, causes as much harm, if not more, than whatever it is that you are so worried about. Moderation. Easy to say, but difficult to carry through on a daily basis.
bobby94928, Keenan and Nayan like this.
post #16482 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
Genetics has a lot to do with individual health, but you can also worry yourself to death over your lifestyle. Every day we are bombarded about what is good or bad for us. We can read a study that will say such and such will kill us, but a year later a new study will tell us the opposite. I'm fortunate to have great genetics (my grandmother and aunt on my mother's side lived to be 97), but as much as I tell myself those studies will constantly reverse themselves so don't let them influence you, I find myself too often influenced by them and it pisses me off. Eventually I right the ship and do what I want to do. But it is that back and forth that messes with the mind, and that, IMO, causes as much harm, if not more, than whatever it is that you are so worried about. Moderation. Easy to say, but difficult to carry through on a daily basis.
No kidding, after all the years I've spent on this planet I still don't know whether salt and butter are bad for you or not, and I suspect I'll be long dead before there are any definitive answers to those questions.
Nayan likes this.
post #16483 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Quote:
I've known of alternative health practitioners who passed away at a young age. OTOH, we read all the time of one of those "oldest person in the world" passing away who didn't follow any particular health regime or one that would have killed many people. I had an aunt who passed away of a sudden heart attack at age 53. It happens.
post #16484 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Apples and oranges. The discussion was about satellite feeds. Replacing millions of $$$ worth of sat hardware is way different than software on a computer to output H.265 video files. I can create H.265 video files (have done so) using ffmpeg, which is free.
Which is why maybe those expensive broadcast units need to have plug-in codec support so you can add codecs without replacing the unit. It's just in the chips! But some of our resident equipment salesmen may not like that idea.

BTW, I haven't tried it but Shotcut is a free editor that can handle h.265. Haven't tried editing with it yet just outputting to HEVC and VP9. But then I'm doing that on a Windows 10 game PC with a hot video card which makes a difference since the codec support is built in, maybe twice over.
post #16485 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
No kidding, after all the years I've spent on this planet I still don't know whether salt and butter are bad for you or not, and I suspect I'll be long dead before there are any definitive answers to those questions.
Ain't it the truth! Don't eat salt/you need salt, eggs are bad/eggs are good, don't drink it's bad/a drink or two is good for you, etc. I'm just gonna keep doing what I've been doing and enjoy life.
aaronwt, DrDon, bobby94928 and 1 others like this.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #16486 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 11:13 AM

The reason the what's good/what's bad for you debate keeps ping-ponging back and forth is because more data is introduced into the equation, yielding new and sometimes different results as the equations are updated and refined. We know more about health now than we did 10 years ago, and a lot more than we did 30 years ago. The data sets today are more complete, and the conclusions more accurate. Such is the case with any scientific field of study, from climate change to astronomy to physics.

But as always, moderation is probably the best policy, and no advanced data-set will dispute that. (And stay away from sugar, processed foods & refined carbs as best you can. That advice is probably not going to change either.)

Last edited by archiguy; 05-23-2017 at 11:30 AM.
post #16487 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Another reason for the ping ponging is every time a study indicates that something is bad for you, a public relations firm, under the employ of the offended industry, generates a press release to tell you it is good for you.
Keenan likes this.
post #16488 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post
Another reason for the ping ponging is every time a study indicates that something is bad for you, a public relations firm, under the employ of the offended industry, generates a press release to tell you it is good for you.
True, or a scientific push is needed to counter a first-strike offensive by such an industry. Remember when cigarettes were good for you, and ads touted which brands doctors preferred?
post #16489 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
True, or a scientific push is needed to counter a first-strike offensive by such an industry. Remember when cigarettes were good for you, and ads touted which brands doctors preferred?
Of which the doctors just happened to be paid by cigarette companies.

I know Jon Oliver on his show (hey its avsforum, i'm gonna insert a TV show into this conversation) did a story about how all these scientific studies that we think they just keep changing their mind willy nilly, really aren't. Instead its the media taking a phrase or two in their publication grossly out of context.
archiguy and Nayan like this.
post #16490 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 11:49 AM

John Oliver is brilliant. His show is must-see TV for the thinking person with a sense of humor.
joblo, Nayan, Ken.F and 1 others like this.
post #16491 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1964 Post(s)
Liked: 2855
Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post
Cheers! Alcohol IS good for you: Up to 5 drinks each week 'lowers risk of heart failure and heart attack'

snip...

• Three to five drinks a week lowers risk of heart failure and heart attack
  • Experts say it doesn't matter if a person drinks wine, beer or liquor
  • Moderate alcohol consumption 'is part of a healthy lifestyle', they say
  • Drinking 3 to 5 drinks a week lowers heart failure risk by 33%, study found
  • And risk of heart attack drops 28% with each additional drink, it revealed

Now that is a study I can be fully behind. About that moderation. I'll start on the first Monday after 27 cloudless days when the summer temperature dips below 45 degrees for 10 consecutive days and the dog next door stops barking.
DrDon and Nayan like this.
post #16492 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 12:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
It was the Season Finale of 12 Monkeys. It still has one more season, Season 4, that will air in 2018.
I watched all of Season 3 over the weekend and really enjoyed it. I hope they do this again with season 4 and air the entire season in one weekend.
I was away this weekend and hadn't set the 12 Monkeys timer on my current DVR. Does anyone know if/when they are planning on airing the season again? I know the episodes are available via their website, but I'd rather use my DVR. I couldn't find anything in the current schedule on their website. Thanks.
post #16493 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 12:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Sadly I think you missed it as a search for the next 14 days shows up empty .

post #16494 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 12:48 PM

I'll need to re-record a couple of eps as well. Big storm with torrential rain blew through Saturday evening and I encountered something I hadn't thought about since the last time I had a dish, some 20 years ago -- rain-fade.

But I'm sure they'll re-run them eventually. I'll have to make a note of which eps were wrecked and wait for them to pop back up. Unfortunately, I'll have to stop watching the season at that point, in spite of the fact that I recorded them all, or I'll lose continuity with the plotline.
post #16495 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottenst View Post
I was away this weekend and hadn't set the 12 Monkeys timer on my current DVR. Does anyone know if/when they are planning on airing the season again? I know the episodes are available via their website, but I'd rather use my DVR. I couldn't find anything in the current schedule on their website. Thanks.
I think On-Demand may be the only viewing method for a while. Multichannel News mentioned they had sold a big advertising bundle based on Live + On-Demand scheduling.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #16496 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 01:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
I'll need to re-record a couple of eps as well. Big storm with torrential rain blew through Saturday evening and I encountered something I hadn't thought about since the last time I had a dish, some 20 years ago -- rain-fade.

But I'm sure they'll re-run them eventually. I'll have to make a note of which eps were wrecked and wait for them to pop back up. Unfortunately, I'll have to stop watching the season at that point, in spite of the fact that I recorded them all, or I'll lose continuity with the plotline.
That would have been terrible if I did remember to record it and we had a storm one of those nights. If I was going back to watch in a few weeks and then saw the rain-fade that would be even more painful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
I think On-Demand may be the only viewing method for a while. Multichannel News mentioned they had sold a big advertising bundle based on Live + On-Demand scheduling.
Thanks. Good to know. I guess I'll have to go via their website for the time being. Unfortunately, it is not on the Dish On Demand menu yet.
post #16497 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3776 Post(s)
Liked: 3465
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaphod7501 View Post
The only "free" way to view it, it's also available from both Vudu and Amazon streaming sites in 1080p/24 along with being uncensored. They might have it in 4K as well but since I'm only 1080p that option wouldn't show for me. It's $25 for the 1080p version.
post #16498 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 4044
Then, at the rate I'm going, I should live to be 180. Which sucks because my retirement accounts are going to run out WAY too early.

I need a job..

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #16499 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 04:14 PM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8913 Post(s)
Liked: 5696
Quote:
I'm OK with the family wanting to keep the cause of death private but people don't die of "natural causes" at age 52.
Quote:
Quote:

Heck didn't a teenager die of a heart attack last week? And that is nowhere near as old as 52.

A few weeks ago, someone a few offices down the hall had a heart attack. And he was only 22. He was dead for nine minutes. But amazingly they were able to resuscitate him and he didn't even end up with any brain damage because of the CPR done during that time period. He was extremely lucky that someone was with him at the time he collapsed.
twaller likes this.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--45TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt; 05-23-2017 at 04:19 PM.
post #16500 of 30519 Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
The storm got me too on Saturday night, it really screwed up the Directv DVR too, for some reason, it was episode 6 about 45 minutes in and the Satellite was out for I guess about 6 minutes, and the stupid DVR(a genie HR54/700) actually recorded for an hour, in other words it recorded the first 5 or 6 minutes of episode 7 and then for some reason started the episode 7 recording about 10 minutes late, so I lost the 6 or so minutes because of the outage and then lost another 2 or 3 minutes because of the overlap silliness. Luckily I had another older DVR recording also and it had the outage, but it got episode 7 started on time and at least I had that to fall back on.

I did find all the episodes on Syfy Now on the Roku and it was pretty good quality and does allow fast forward, unlike the VOD which forces you to watch and rewind, but no fast forwarding of any kind and another quirk that is horrid is that it has resume, but that's a lie, it just starts at the beginning. I did manage to get it all watched though. LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page