Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 704 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14443Likes

post #21091 of 32585 Old 01-14-2018, 11:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobosrul View Post
Maybe, OTOH this scene in color would've been fine by me.

Its my favorite Mel Brooks joke. Which is to say, possibly my all time favorite.
Check out the classic Comedians in Cars episode with Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks. (Facebook, I think, 17 minutes).
https://www.facebook.com/JerrySeinfe...1221871989165/

I am a huge Mel Brooks fan. He never made a bad film and many of his are comedy classics. YF is my all time favorite.

Marty Feldman in Young Frankenstein .. "Hump, what hump?"
Nayan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21092 of 32585 Old 01-14-2018, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 2755
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jan. 14, 2018

AFC DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF: JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS VS. PITTSBURGH STEELERS
CBS, 1:00 p.m. ET

The Pittsburgh Steelers are favored to win today’s AFC playoff game – but the Jacksonville Jaguars have heart – and not too long ago, Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger threw an amazing, and abysmal, five interceptions in one game. So this one could be a good one, and rather unpredictable.

NFC DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF: NEW ORLEANS SAINTS VS. MINNESOTA VIKINGS
FOX, 4:30 p.m. ET

New Orleans Saints QB Drew Brees thrives in big games, and this NFC playoff game against the Minnesota Vikings is a very big game indeed. And ought to be close, but with the Saints scoring a victory, at game’s end, when the Saints go marching out.

BREAKING BAD MARATHON
AMC, 6:00 p.m. ET

The AMC Breaking Bad 10th anniversary weekend marathon continues. Today, when the action resumes at 6 p.m. ET, we’re up to Episode 4 of Season 4. It’s the episode called “Bullet Points,” and it begins with one of Gus Fring’s delivery trucks being attacked by a rival gang. This will lead to repercussions for sure, because if there’s one thing the Los Pollos Hermanos CEO isn’t, it’s chicken…

VICTORIA ON MASTERPIECE
PBS, 9:00 p.m. ET
SEAON PREMIERE:
Season 2 of Victoria begins on Masterpiece tonight, with the captivating Jenna Coleman returning as the young, increasingly determined and powerful monarch. Diana Rigg, last seen on Game of Thrones, will join the cast this season, but the action begins squarely on Coleman’s Queen, who rails against being pampered, and sequestered from the real action of the court, after giving birth. Like one particular American long after her reign, she wants to be in the room where it happens. Incidentally, I’m not the only fan of Victoria, and Jenna Coleman, at TVWW. Check local listings.

DIVORCE
HBO, 10:30 p.m. ET
SEASON PREMIERE:
Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Haden Church are back for Season 2 of Divorce. The new season has a new show runner, Jenny Bicks of The Big C (and, formerly, of Sex and the City), which probably will result in a slightly lighter touch and tone. Oh, and according to promos, there’s at least one significant change: Church’s moustache is gone.

CRASHING
HBO, 10:32 p.m. ET
SEASON PREMIERE:
Pete Holmes is back for Season 2 of Crashing, continuing his semi-autobiographical exploration of his early days as a standup comic – grappling with his Christian background, and the sudden disappearance of emotional and financial support from his now ex-wife, as he tries to wend is way through the universe of open-mic comedy clubs. He survives by sleeping on the couches of fellow comics (hence the show’s title), and, this season, begins with imposing upon the already imposing Penn Gillette. It’s an episode titled “Atheist,” which is a hint at what sorts of discussions, and conflicts, to expect.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

TV Review (Broadcast)
Season 2 of 'Victoria' Finds the Queen Coming Into her Own
By David Hinckley, TVWorthWatching.com's 'All Along the Watchtower' - Jan. 14, 2018

Good news, royal family fans: Jenna Coleman isn’t planning on hanging up Queen Victoria’s tiara anytime soon.

Coleman’s portrayal of the long-serving 19th-centurymonarch in the PBS Masterpiece series Victoria, which launches its second season Sunday at 9 p.m. ET (check local listings), has stood the traditional image of Victoria on its royal head.

“This year I think we will see more of her impulsive nature and her lack of pretense,” says Coleman, adding to the iconoclasm of a first season in which her Victoria was anything but stodgy and prudish.

Victoria will also insist on being involved in all royal business and quickly forming opinions about everything from court costumes to military policies in Afghanistan. This startles the men around her, including her beloved husband Albert (Tom Hughes).

“They were passionately in love,” says Coleman. “But they didn’t always see things the same way.

“In the early years of their marriage, when they had so many children, Albert thought he should take over some of her responsibilities. But she wasn’t going to be forced back into the nursery. So they’d argue.

“In fact, they would fight horribly. They would follow each other through the palace, yelling.”

That gave the servants something to talk about, one imagines. It also underscored, Coleman muses, “how young and energetic Victoria was at the time.”

Victoria would eventually rule for more than 63 years, a record broken only recently by the current Queen, Elizabeth II. In an interesting television parallel, Netflix is now into season two of its Queen Elizabeth biography, The Crown, after which Claire Foy is stepping down as Elizabeth so the role can pass to an older actress.

Coleman says Victoria has no similar plan at the moment, though writer Daisy Goodwin says there is ample drama to continue Victoria’s story through her entire rein.

“I don’t know how long I could play her,” says Coleman, who at 31 is several years older than the Season 2 Victoria. “It’s an unusual show, and I think we may be feeling it out as we go along.

“There are other things I’d love to explore at some point. But this show just keeps getting better and better and right now I feel there’s so much more here.

“I’d be very up for getting pickled to keep playing her as she gets older.”

She jokingly concedes she might think about retiring when she had to report for makeup at 3 a.m. She does, however, have a first-class model for how Victoria might look much later in life: Dame Judi Dench, who plays the older queen in the recent movie Victoria and Abdul.

“I went to see that,” says Coleman. “Of course, I’ll take any excuse to see Judi Dench. But it was fascinating to see this woman that I play in her earlier years as she would be much later. I see so many of the same qualities.”

She also sees some qualities intensified. “Victoria never had much patience,” Coleman notes. “Where Albert was a thinker, she was impulsive. But the older she gets, the less she cares about anyone else’s opinion.

“She would eat with her mouth open. She would drink a bottle of wine with dinner. She had a real lack of vanity.

“She was so controlled by her mother when she was a child that she loved the freedom when she finally became queen.”

Similarly, even though Victoria deeply respected and abided by the customs of the royal court, she quickly got tired of people who nodded and agreed with anything she said because they feared offending the queen.

“She found that boring,” says Coleman, recalling that one of the strangest and most fascinating moments for the real-life Victoria and Albert was a rare non-royal encounter.

“They were in Scotland,” she says, “and somehow they ended up at the home of a local couple who had no idea who they were. They spent the night there, and for the first time in their lives they knew how it felt to be anonymous.”

Not that anonymity had long-term appeal. “Victoria really enjoyed being queen,” says Coleman. “She felt it was an important job. And she liked the perks.”

One of the perks for Coleman is that she increasingly gets recognized on the streets these days as Victoria, after years when she was better known from the soap Emmerdale and two seasons as the companion on Doctor Who.

“But I don’t still get recognized all that much,” she says. “Perhaps because I’m short, I can be a bit of a ninja on the train.”

She adds that despite the success of Victoria, she isn’t sure she has fully made the challenging transition from youth to adult roles.

“I’m not sure I’m there yet,” she says. “At this point in the series, Victoria is still young.”

In any event, she has quite fallen for her character.

“I have huge admiration and respect for Victoria,” she says, though she adds with a laugh that she doesn’t carry the queen with her into the off-season. “I hope she doesn’t stay with me. She can be very commanding, and God help me if that starts filtering through.”

She’s similarly bemused about what would happen if she ever met Victoria.

“I’m quite sure,” Coleman says, “she’d tell me everything I’m doing wrong.”

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=15571
post #21093 of 32585 Old 01-14-2018, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 4341
Ok, two days of watching KCBS' football and I can't be the only person who thinks those Jack in the Box commercials are just a tiny bit creepy.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21094 of 32585 Old 01-14-2018, 02:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Sorry Dr. D, cannot concur. Let's review. What I said was the KCBS feeds on D we're noticeably better than the Sunday Ticket feed of the same program for the last couple of years. I agree that the Sunday Ticket feeds we're pristine, the picture and audio quality has dropped recently, looks to me like the band-width has been reduced. Probably a Direc TV thing. Having said that I also think the CBS 2 feeds quality dropped when they added a Sub . I remember the O/O OTA CBS Channels we're the quality standard and had no Subs. CBS 2 is an O/O here in LA. Anyway, I'm depressed after the Steeler debacle today..
post #21095 of 32585 Old 01-14-2018, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lucca View Post
Sorry Dr. D, cannot concur. Let's review. What I said was the KCBS feeds on D we're noticeably better than the Sunday Ticket feed of the same program for the last couple of years. I agree that the Sunday Ticket feeds we're pristine, the picture and audio quality has dropped recently, looks to me like the band-width has been reduced. Probably a Direc TV thing.
I thought that's kind of what I said. Or it's what I meant to convey. I agree with you based on yesterday's game. That looked very good. Today's not AS much, but still very good. I tried to say ST comes close to KCBS on a lot of games. Closer on some than others. I haven't A/B'd games as I rarely watch KCBS for NFL games. I'm not sure if ST has dialed down or KCBS has gotten a top-of-the-line encoder. That said, I haven't noticed a drop in ST quality since CBS changed what they send to affiliates. Fox game quality hasn't changed at all to my eyes. Truck quality notwithstanding.

Unless it's the Jack in the Box commercials you do not concur with. They're still creepy.

Last edited by DrDon; 01-14-2018 at 03:18 PM.
post #21096 of 32585 Old 01-14-2018, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 1352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post
One of my favorite modern era films is Young Frankenstein. I'm glad they chose to make it B&W. Color would have ruined it.
Nice knockers! Thank you.
post #21097 of 32585 Old 01-14-2018, 09:58 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
I'm just parroting what the lead engineer for the CBS A Production team told me in the trailer during setup for the Final Four broadcast. "Main is fiber, backup is C-band. If those fail, Ka band is the last resort. If we have to go to Ka band, we have to compress it and it's not going to look nearly as good." His words, not mine.
Ka band? Who uses that? IIRC, Ka band is what the DBS industry uses. Ku is the commercial band, which has the same transponder width as C-band. If he was thinking about Ku SNG transponder usage, then yes, the video compression would be more than if they were using the full 36 MHz transponder (SNG doesn't). All of the satellite uplinks are compressed. No sat transponder modulation scheme has the bandwidth of fiber.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #21098 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Ok, two days of watching KCBS' football and I can't be the only person who thinks those Jack in the Box commercials are just a tiny bit creepy.
I have felt that way for a long time.

Always learning.....no one really knows it all.
post #21099 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
What's a commercial?
DrDon and slowbiscuit like this.
post #21100 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 06:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 2105
Quote:
More creepy than the guy waking up to the Burger King (in his bed) handing him a breakfast sandwich with that plastic smile mask? The grin on the mask is the real creepy part. I mean, how long has he been sitting there grinning like that?

Last edited by NetworkTV; 01-15-2018 at 06:49 AM.
post #21101 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Winter TCA Tour Notes (Digital)
Hurricanes forge stronger bond between 'The Oath' cast and Puerto Rico
By Bill Keveney, USA Today - Jan. 14, 2018

PASADENA, Calif. — Actors often bond with each other when shooting on location, but the cast of The Oath also developed a strong connection with Puerto Rico, heightened by delays and damage caused by hurricanes Irma and Maria.

The three-month shoot for The Oath (March 8), a 10-episode drama series looking at the violent world of police gangs, was delayed by the September hurricanes, but production returned and was completed.

"We all felt very connected to our crew. They were primarily Puerto Rican," actress Elisabeth Röhm told writers Sunday at the Television Critics Association press tour.

"We're thrilled (producing studio) Sony and Crackle let us go back and finish after each evacuation … to stay committed to our crew and continue to bring money, creativity and production (there). That's the only way they can rebuild," the Law & Order alum said.

Actors also volunteered for relief efforts.

It wasn't easy evacuating the island, said executive producer Joe Halpin, who worked as a Los Angeles County Sheriff's deputy for 17 years.

"There was an amazing amount of survivor's guilt getting on a plane and leaving the island and this family," Halpin says. "But It was also great to be able to tell them that we were coming back after the hurricane, that we didn't abandon them."

Another actor, Cory Hardrict, said: "It felt really good to go back. Most of the Puerto Rican families didn't have anything: shelter, clean drinking water. To go back, that meant everything to us."

Castmate J.J. Soria, who remained on the island during Hurricane Irma, was moved by the strong spirit of the Puerto Rican people.

"After the hurricane hit, the people were out with their (musical) instruments … in the dark," he said, doing a few musical riffs. "That's the heart of the island. That's what we got to experience and connect with."

The Oath (March 8), which is produced by Curtis '50 Cent' Jackson and also stars Game of Thrones' Sean Bean and True Blood's Ryan Kwanten, looks at the mix of corruption and loyalty intertwined in police secret societies.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...co/1032870001/
post #21102 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
More creepy than the guy waking up to the Burger King (in his bed) handing him a breakfast sandwich with that plastic smile mask? The grin on the mask is the real creepy part. I mean, how long has he been sitting there grinning like that?
No, not that creepy. Just something about the voice. Also, when I think of a Jack-in-the-box, an image of a guy in a tailored suit isn't the first one that comes to mind. And the nose gives me "A Clockwork Orange" flashbacks..

This example is a little better. I can't find the simple standing-there spot that ran over the weekend.

post #21103 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Winter TCA Tour Notes
Lifetime’s All-Women Showrunners Talk Creating a Safe Workplace in the #MeToo Era
By Reid Nakamura, TheWrap.com - Jan. 14, 2018

Lifetime’s scripted programming slate boasts the notable achievement of being made up entirely of shows created by and run by women, and in the #MeToo era, those women say it makes a difference in the work environment.

“We absolutely have created a safe space in our writers room, on our set and with our actors,” said “UnReal” showrunner Stacy Rukeyser at the Television Critics Association press tour on Sunday. “[But] when you’ve got a couple hundred people working on a show, stuff comes up.

“I am really proud of the way that we have handled things, and our studio and our network have been incredibly supportive,” she said.

Rukeyser was appearing on a panel alongside the network’s other female showrunners and creators, including “UnReal” co-creator Sarah Gertrude Shapiro, “Mary Kills People’s” Tara Armstrong, “You” showrunner Sera Gamble and “American Princess” creator Jamie Denbo.

“There’s such a spectrum of behavior that we’re talking about. The illegal acts that are being exposed, it’s easy to know what to do about those,” Rukeyser said. But when it comes to the less clear-cut cases, things get tricky.

“Dan Harmon’s apology, for example, I thought was incredible because he was willing to talk about how he feels about women in general. And he said, ‘None of this would have been possible if I had any respect for women,'” Rukeyser said. “And I was shocked by that, so grateful that he was saying it out loud, because now at least we can start from a place of truth.”

Echoing Rukeyser, Gamble said that it’s not just objectionable actions, but people’s attitude toward women in general — and its cumulative effect over time — can have a silencing and ostracizing effect.

“It’s really the microaggressions,” she said. “The small ways that things are over explained, the way credit is dispensed in a room. I think there are small slights that happen in unevolved rooms and places, and over time that does wear people down. It silences them.”

But Gamble cautioned that “unconscious bias is something that’s not limited to any one gender. And I think this movement has to go so far beyond women.”

“The men are nervous, and I’m so sorry that they are, but there’s a consciousness that’s coming with a pre-thought situation,” Denbo said, noting that women tend to be more tentative in offering their opinions or otherwise asserting themselves in the workplace.

“We have been thinking before we speak for a really long f–ing time, so maybe it’s your turn?”

When asked what specific steps they’ve taken on their shows to create a work environment safer and more comfortable for women, Rukesyer said she views it as her obligation to lift up others in the business.

Shapiro said “UnReal” has instituted a policy in its writer’s room that calls for all voices to “amplify each other,” meaning young, new voices are given their due and credit is assigned appropriately.

“I believe that when you foster that vibe in a room, you just get the best work,” added Armstrong.

Denbo, for her part, will take a different approach on her show: “We’re just going to install a policy where you jack off before you come to work. Never at work.”

https://www.thewrap.com/lifetimes-al...ace-metoo-era/
post #21104 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

Winter TCA Tour Notes (Cable)
Catherine Zeta-Jones: Playing Griselda Blanco Was “So Liberating”
By Antonia Blyth, Deadline.com - Jan. 14, 2018

For Catherine Zeta-Jones, playing a Colombian drug kingpin in Lifetime movie Cocaine Godmother: The Griselda Blanco Story was transformative both physically and spiritually.

Describing her pursuit of the role as an “obsession” at TCA on Sunday, Zeta-Jones said she’d really tried to embody the famously brutal Blanco.

“It was so liberating,” she said. “I didn’t want to play a caricature of her, and do like a Mrs. Doubtfire’s fat suit. I wanted to play her from the inside out. Her attitude was much more than whether I didn’t wear mascara or lipstick.”

Digging into a role she’d wanted so badly and really cared about was inspiring. “For a few years there, I lost my mojo on what this is about. I love being a mother I love being a wife, I have a very nice career behind me,” she said. “I wasn’t seeing anything that would even come close to me feeling like that, and you kind of lose that spark. It’s made me remember why, when I was nine years old, I left home to go and do theater in London — that feeling of joy, and feeling that I’m home and this is what I love to do. I haven’t had that feeling in years.”

Her Colombian co-star Juan Pablo Espinosa who plays drug trafficker Alberto Bravo said he and his family had found Zeta-Jones’ portrayal of a Colombian woman to be very authentic.

“It takes a great actress and it takes somebody very committed to what they’re doing to pay homage to what had to be done,” he said. “It’s been such a joy to see her nail this in such an honest and wonderful way.”

Playing a sociopath was a challenge Zeta-Jones relished. “She had a power and a strength of character that of all the things that I do not relate to, I do relate to that,” she said. “I do admire that in her. It was, where are the cracks in her? I don’t want to make everyone like her. I don’t like her.”

Despite explaining that she herself is, of course, the “polar opposite” to the sociopathic Blanco, it seems Zeta-Jones isn’t having any issues getting into a scary mindset at home.

“My husband, who never gives me any notes at all, he was dropping me off at the airport and he said, ‘Just remember darling, you don’t have to do much, you are at your most terrifying when you do nothing.” I thought, after 17 years of marriage it’s good to know that I scare the bejeezus out of you when I do absolutely nothing.”

http://deadline.com/2018/01/catherin...me-1202243193/

‘This Time Next Year’ EP Laurie Girion: It’s An “Exciting New Twist” On The Makeover Show

Makeover shows are undeniably rich territory for Lifetime, and now the network will up the ante by squeezing a year’s worth of transformation into a few minutes.

This Time Next Year, hosted by Cat Deeley and based on the UK show of the same name, challenges people to change their lives and achieve a self-declared goal in the space of a year. Some examples are to lose weight, have a baby or overcome illness.

The show brings contestants through one door at the start of the show, then minutes later viewers see them re-enter through a second door transformed — in what is actually a year later in real time.

“I think it’s an exciting new twist on a way to show a makeover story,” EP Laurie Giron said at TCA on Sunday. “You literally become fascinated by these two doors on our set, one is this time, and the other is next year. What’s a few seconds for you and I, is a year for them.”

“It’s a bit like Back to the Future, but without the flux capacitor,” Deeley added.

“There are six people on each episode that we focus on,” said Deeley. In the intervening year, subjects would record their own experiences as they progressed. “All of our participants had to do a lot of diary cams,” she said. “The producers would check in with them once a week, or twice a week.”

The success rate for the participants was pretty high, according to Girion. “We had 113 people come in initially, and we are proud to say 70 of them came back at the end of the year with a greater [success] rate than not.”

As Deeley said, 100% success is not always possible. “This is real life. sometimes you can try your hardest and maybe it doesn’t happen.”

But Lifetime has found the show to be promising, as Liz Gately EVP Head of programming said, “We’re so invested in the show we’re already going another season.”

http://deadline.com/2018/01/this-tim...ca-1202243170/
post #21105 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Broadcast)
Fox has renewed Neil deGrasse Tyson’s Cosmos for a second season
By Andrew Liptak, TheVerge.com - Jan. 13, 2018

In 2014, Fox rebooted Carl Sagan’s classic documentary series, Cosmos: A Personal Journey, with astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson as host. Four years later, Fox and National Geographic have announced they will be bringing the series back for a second season, titled Possible Worlds.

The networks made the announcement today during the Television Critics Association winter press tour, and deGrasse Tyson and producer Seth MacFarlane confirmed the news on Twitter, saying that the season will air in Spring 2019 on Fox and the National Geographic channel.

Sagan hosted the original Cosmos in 1980, which was at the time the most successful US public TV series of all time (it was later overtaken by Ken Burns’ documentary The Civil War). The rebooted version, titled A Spacetime Odyssey, covered a broad range of topics, such as the scale of the universe, the history of science, and climate change, and was well received by audiences and critics.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/13/1...raphic-science
slowbiscuit and Nayan like this.
post #21106 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Streaming)
'ER' Heads to Hulu in Exclusive Streaming Pact
By Natalie Jarvey, The Hollywood Reporter - Jan. 14, 2018

The doctors of County General Hospital have found a new home.

Hulu has nabbed the exclusive streaming rights to ER, bringing the entire classic medical drama to streaming for the first time.

In the pact with Warner Bros. Domestic Television, Hulu has licensed all 15 seasons (or more than 330 episodes) of the series. They will begin streaming on Sunday.

ER premiered on NBC in 1994 and helped to accelerate the careers of George Clooney, Noah Wyle and Julianna Margulies. The series was created by Michael Crichton and executive produced by John Wells with Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television and Constant c Productions. It became the longest-running primetime medical drama on television and was nominated for 124 Emmy Awards, the most of any drama, and winning 23 Emmys.

Clooney, who is now in business with Hulu on a new Catch-22 series, said of the news, "It was such an honor to be a part of this show. I was lucky to have worked with so many writers, actors and directors all at the top of their game. Most importantly I've made friends for a lifetime. I'm excited it will finally be streaming on Hulu."

The news, revealed ahead of Hulu's semi-annual appearance before TV press, capped off a series of announcements for the streamer.

Hulu also said that it has picked up U.S. streaming rights to a second installment of the British drama National Treasure. The series, which will debut in full on April 4, comes after Hulu picked up streaming rights to the first season. The new season, National Treasure: Kiri, will follow a young black girl who is about to be adopted by her white foster family. It was created and written by Jack Thorne.

Further, the streamer has announced that it has acquired March of the Penguins 2: The Next Step, a sequel to the 2005 documentary. March of the Penguins won the Academy Award for documentary the year after it was released. The follow-up, from filmmaker Luc Jacquet and featuring narrator Morgan Freeman, premiered last year in France.

March of the Penguins 2 joins a small but growing slate of Hulu documentaries, including The Beatles: Eight Days a Week — The Touring Years, Becoming Bond and Batman and Bill.

Hulu has also announced that Emmy- and Golden Globe- winning The Handmaid's Tale will return for a second season on April 25, and comedy Casual will bow its final season on July 31.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...g-pact-1074626
post #21107 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Winter TCA Tour Notes (Streaming)
Jeff Daniels, Lawrence Wright Talk Story Behind Hulu’s ‘The Looming Tower’
By Daniel Holloway, Variety.com - Jan. 14, 2018

Lawrence Wright spent five years working on “The Looming Tower,” his Pulitzer prize-winning book about the lead-up to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. The book has been adapted into a drama series for the streaming service Hulu.

“My main sources were terrorists and intelligence agents,” Wright said Sunday at the Television Critics Association’s winter press tour. “They’re not the most open people to deal with. But honestly it was a mission for me. It’s probably the most important thing I’ll do in my professional life.”

Wright said that he “had to find a way to take this vast tragedy and make it human,” and his approach was to find key individuals and focus on their stories. One of those was individuals was John O’Neill, a counter-terrorism expert who became focused on Al Qaeda, was forced out of the FBI, and was hired as head of security at the World Trade Center — a job he began just weeks before the 9/11 attack in which O’Neill was killed.

“The man who was supposed to get bin Laden, bin Laden got him,” Wright said. “I used to think it was ironic. Now I think it’s Greek.”

Jeff Daniels plays O’Neill in the series.

“It’s a battle to get heard,” for O’Neill in the series, Daniels said. “The way that he delivered his message wasn’t always compatible with people listening to him. He was belligerent. He blasted people when he didn’t get his way. But in the end, he was right.”

Alex Gibney, who executive produces the series, compared working on the show to his experience as a documentary filmmaker.

“It’s inspired by true events,” Gibney said. “There are some key aspects of this central story that are absolutely vital to understand, and they’re essentially true. In the context of creating a drama that is compelling, inevitably characters are sometimes composited and stories rendered in dramatic terms. But in terms of understanding the roles that these agencies play and how they tracked Al Qaeda at the time and what their successes were and what their failures were, that’s pretty accurately presented.”

“The Looming Tower” is set to premiere on Hulu Feb. 28.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/loom...er-1202664219/
post #21108 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

No political comments, please.

TV Notes (Streaming)

Conan O'Brien to tape Haiti episode after Trump's racist insult
By Nicole Hensley, New York Daily News - Jan. 15, 2018

Conan O’Brien is taking his late night show on the high road to Haiti to prove President Trump wrong.

The talk show host said Sunday night that he is jetting to the Caribbean nation in response to Trump’s racist insult declaring the country, and others, a “****hole.”

While he is there, O’Brien will tape an hour-long “Conan Without Borders” episode.

“Still reeling from @Real DonaldTrump’s very negative Yelp review of Haiti, which means I’ll love it,” O’Brien tweeted. “Headed to Haiti later this week to explore and make some new friends. Stay tuned for my report.”

It was not immediately known when the “Conan” episode will air.

O’Brien’s trip will likely mock Trump for recoiling at the thought of providing immigration protections to people from several countries, including Haiti, during a meeting last week at the Oval Office. Trump defended his disparaging remarks Sunday by declaring himself “the least racist person.”

The 54-year-old comic visited Mexico under similar circumstances after Trump took office in 2017, using the Republican’s campaign pledge to build a border wall as fuel for satire.

He hired an all-Mexican crew to tape the special episode.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3757453
post #21109 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter

A&E Sets March Marcia Clark Docuseries
By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News - Jan. 14, 2018

Pasadena, Calif. -- A&E will partner with renown prosecutor and former defense attorney Marcia Clark for a new docuseries that delves into some of America's most shocking unsolved crimes, the network announced during the Television Critics Association winter press tour session.

The seven-part series, Marcia Clark Investigates the First 48, will debut March 29 and will examine the first 48 hours after a specific case to reveal new angles and unravel enduring mysteries, network officials said. The first episode will examine the infamous Casey Anthony murder case.

Marcia Clark Investigates the First 48 is produced by ITV Entertainment. The executive producers are David Eilenberg, Jason Carey, C. Russell Muth and Marcia Clark.

The network also announced that it will team legal analysts Nancy Grace and Dan Abrams to host a new original series Grace vs. Abrams, debuting March 29. The series will showcase the two attorneys as they provide their often-opposing points of view on crimes and trials that captured the country’s attention, said network officials.

Grace vs. Abrams is produced by Lincoln Square Productions, with Hilary Estey McLoughlin and Terence Noonan serving as executive producers.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/con...useries/417497

Hallmark Channel Renews ‘Chesapeake Shores’

Hallmark Channel has renewed its drama series Chesapeake Shores for a third season, one of several programming announcements made during the network’s annual Television Critics Association winter tour dinner event Saturday.

The series, which stars Jesse Metcalfe, Meghan Ory, Treat Willams and Diana Ladd, will return this summer for a 10-episode run, according to network officials.

“Viewers have fallen in love with the heartfelt and compelling storylines as each character navigates the complexities of life, love and choices,” said Michelle Vicary, Executive Vice President, Programming and Network Publicity, Crown Media Family Networks in a statement. “We look forward to continuing and further exploring the multi-generational family journeys that people of all ages can enjoy and relate to, which makes Chesapeake Shores a fitting series for our brand and the quality, family entertainment we provide.”

The network also announced it will debut the inaugural 2018 American Rescue Dog Show on Feb. 12. The special, hosted by Rebecca Romijn and Rich Eisen, will honor the traits and benefits of mixed breeds and rescued purebreds. In addition to competition in the ring, the show will highlight heartwarming stories of courageous dogs who have overcome tremendous odds to be rescued and find forever homes, said the network.

In addition, Hallmark said it would debut the fourth season of original series Good Witch on April 29.

On the Hallmark Movies & Mysteries front, the network has greenlit development for a new original movie, The Crossword Mystery, created by New York Times crossword editor Will Shortz. The network has tapped Lacy Chabert and Brennan Elliott to star in the film, which follows a crossword puzzle editor who finds her life turned upside down when she is pulled into a police investigation after several of the clues in her recent puzzles are linked to unsolved crimes, said network officials.

The network has also signed Alexa PenaVega and Carlos PenaVega to star in a new movie penned by Garage Sale Mystery franchise writer Walter Klenhard. In addition, The Garage Sale Mystery franchise will return in August with four all-new original movies. Hallmark Movies & Mysteries will also add long-running USA Network series Psych beginning Jan. 15 to its lineup, running three episodes every weekday from 6-9 p.m. leading out of three episodes of Monk, said network officials.

http://www.multichannel.com/news/con...-shores/417493
post #21110 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

No political comments, please.

TV/Critic's Notes (Cable)

Where Does the Family TV Show Go From Here?
By Jen Chaney, Vulture.com (New York Magazine) - Jan. 14, 2018

Since the earliest days of television, when sitcoms made room for Daddy, left it to Beaver, and declared that father knew best, shows about family have been central to the TV-watching experience. Even in a landscape as vast and radically different from the one that existed in the 1950s, when the family sitcom first asserted its place in popular culture, that hasn’t changed. Look no further than two of the most widely watched shows on network television right now: This Is Us, the NBC drama about multiple generations of the extended Pearson family, and Young Sheldon, the Big Bang Theory spin-off that considers Sheldon Cooper’s backstory within the framework of a single-camera family sitcom.

These kinds of shows remain relevant because, as they always have, they serve as a mirror – a depiction of how moms, dads, brothers, and sisters actually deal with each other behind closed front doors – and a north star, a guide to how those relationships could work in an ideal world. More than perhaps any other type of television, family shows are held up as a reflection of our societal values. They tell us who we are, and they tell us who we wish we could be.

Perhaps that’s why George H.W. Bush noted in a 1992 campaign speech that he wanted to make American families “a lot more like the Waltons and a lot less like the Simpsons.” (In the early ‘90s, it was hard for Bush to understand that some people actually might aspire to be members of the Simpson family, who have ultimately proven to be as loyal to each other as the Waltons, albeit while saying the words “damn” and “d’oh” a lot more.) As Bush’s comment suggests, TV families have often been considered the representatives of how domestic life does and/or should work. In the 1950s, that tended to mean traditional, white nuclear families in which the dads were the breadwinners and the mothers stayed home, watched the kids, and did all the vacuuming while wearing fit-and-flare dresses. In the ‘70s, thanks to Norman Lear, and the ‘80s, we saw more variety, including black families, families both wealthy and poor, and units that were held together by less stereotypical authority figures, i.e. parents who were both working, single parents (as in One Day at a Time), or parents of the same gender (My Two Dads). In the 21st century, the concept of family on television has been blown open even further, which is one of the reasons these shows remain relevant. They have evolved over time to reflect the diversity and breadth of what it means to be a family in America.

Entire blocks of primetime network TV are currently stacked with half-hours that reflect families of different racial and ethnic backgrounds who face a variety of challenges. There’s the African-American family at the center of Black-ish; the Asian-American immigrants of Fresh Off the Boat; the straight, gay, older, and Latina parents on Modern Family, which broadcast its 200th episode just last week; families in which the dad is a stay-at-home parent (Man With a Plan); families doing their best while living with a disability (Speechless); and families doing their best while struggling economically (Bob’s Burgers).

On cable and streaming platforms, the boundaries of the family show, artistically and in terms of the situations depicted, are being pushed even further thanks to Transparent on Amazon, Shameless and SMILF on Showtime, Better Things on FX, Queen Sugar on OWN, Atypical on Netflix, and Divorce on HBO, all of which, in different ways, demonstrate how even broken families continue to function as families. Even One Day at a Time, a groundbreaking portrait of a divorced woman raising teenage daughters in the 1970s and ’80s, has been updated for Netflix to consider the travails of a single Cuban-American mother, her kids, and their abuela. All of this has felt like progress for the genre, and, frankly, a logical way to appeal to the widest potential audience.

But as we approach the end of year one with Donald Trump as president, and the country continues to feel politically and culturally divided, one wonders if we’re about to experience a shift. Part of the appeal of family shows, especially sitcoms, is that people think of them as gentle, escapist fare, a way to have a laugh or a cathartic cry without having to ponder more serious current events. But when these shows deal with more political matters, they tend to do it from a more left-of-center point of view.

So far, having Trump as president hasn’t altered things in that regard. If anything, it’s motivated the people making television to craft episodes that sometimes blatantly speak out against his policies and behavior. But the return of the watershed comedy, Roseanne – which is being rebooted in March on ABC – could change that. Already, the sitcom is generating controversy because of Roseanne Conner’s upfront support of the man in the Oval Office, a support that the real Roseanne who plays her seems to share.

Based on the first episode, which focuses in part on the tension between Roseanne and her pussy hat-wearing sister, Jackie (Laurie Metcalf), what’s interesting about the show is its insistence on keeping a foot on the conservative side and another in the more progressive/inclusive side, the latter of which was the norm in the original Roseanne. (The first incarnation was pretty welcoming to gay and lesbian characters, and also made it clear that Roseanne is pro-choice.)

In Roseanne 2.0, the Conners’ youngest child, D.J. (Michael Fishman), is raising an African-American child, while Darlene (Sarah Gilbert) has a son who appears to identify as female. This suggests that the writers are determined to show that even a pretty traditional, blue-collar family like the Conners has been redefined over the past two decades to reflect the wider world.

If Roseanne can smartly and sensitively dig into the contradictions inherent in having a Make America Great Again protagonist while advocating for inclusivity – which is a tall order, by the way – it could set a new example for how to do the family sitcom in the Trump era. (In light of the direction in which Roseanne is going, Tim Allen, whose ‘90s hit Home Improvement was certainly influenced by the first Roseanne, has already reiterated his desire to get his conservative-skewing family sitcom Last Man Standing back on the air.)

If family television tells us who we are, as well as who we wish to be, the natural next step for the genre may be to more actively explore how at odds we are with each other, and show us a path toward bridging those differences, changing minds, and healing. (Black-ish suggested in its post-election episode last year that all of that was possible. A year later, that somehow feels like more of a fantasy than it did then.) Despite George H.W. Bush’s wish, the American family will probably never be like the Waltons again, not on TV or in real life. But whatever it does evolve into, the results will most definitely be televised.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/01/famil...from-here.html
post #21111 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
MONDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)
From Zap2it.com's TV Grid - Jan. 15, 2018

ABC:
8PM - The Bachelor (120 min.)
10PM - The Good Doctor
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Gerard Butler; Melissa Benoist; Mavis Staples performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - Kevin Can Wait
8:30PM - Man With a Plan
9PM - Superior Donuts
9:30PM - 9JKL
10PM - Scorpion
11:35PM - The Late Show With Stephen Colbert (John Lithgow; Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.); Black Eyed Peas perform)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show With James Corden (Cedric the Entertainer; Olympic athlete Usain Bolt; Jesus Trejo performs)

NBC:
8PM - The Wall
9PM - Better Late Than Never
10PM - The Brave
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda; Cole Sprouse; Walk the Moon performs)
12:37AM - Late Night with Seth Meyers (David Duchovny; Megan Boone; Jillian Jacqueline performs; John Stanier sits in with the 8G Band)
1:37AM - Last Call with Carson Daly (Paul Reiser; Warbly Jets perform; Vicky Krieps)
(R)

FOX:
8PM - The Gifted (Season Finale, 120 min.)

THE CW:
8PM - Supergirl
9PM - Arrow

PBS:
8PM - Antiques Roadshow: Harrisburg
9PM - Independent Lens: I Am Not Your Negro (90 min.)
10:30PM - PBS Previews: The Best of PBS Indies
(R)

UNIVISION:
8PM - El Rico y Lázaro (Series Premiere)
9PM - Papá a Toda Madre (Series Premiere)
10PM - Caer en Tentación

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - José José, El Príncipe de la Canción (Series Premiere)
9PM - Sangre de Mi Tierra
10PM - Señora Acero 4: La Coyote

TNT:
5:30PM - NBA Basketball: Los Angeles Lakers at Memphis Grizzlies (LIVE)
8PM - NBA Basketball: Golden State Warriors at Cleveland Cavaliers (LIVE)
10:30PM - NBA Basketball: Houston Rockets at Los Angeles Clippers (LIVE)

NBCSN:
7:30PM - NHL Hockey: New York Islanders at Montreal Canadiens (LIVE)
10:15PM - NHL Overtime (LIVE)

DISCOVERY:
8PM - Street Outlaws: Full Throttle
9PM - Street Outlaws
10PM - Street Outlaws: Memphis (Series Premiere)

DISNEY:
8PM - Andi Mack (60 min.)

NAT GEO:
8PM - Inside North Korea: The Kim Dynasty (Special)
9PM - Chain of Command, Part 1: By, With & Through (Premiere)
10PM - Chain of Command, Part 2: Perception and Reality

FREEFORM:
8:30PM - Movie Night With Karlie Kloss: Finding Nemo

USA:
8PM - WWE Monday Night RAW (3 hrs. 5 min., LIVE)

MTV:
9PM - Teen Mom OG
10:01PM - Siesta Key

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Lena Waithe)
11:31PM - The Opposition w/Jordan Klepper (Rob Riggle)

TBS:
11PM - Conan (Allison Janney; comic Pete Holmes; comic Daniel Sloss)

https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap

Last edited by dad1153; 01-16-2018 at 07:22 AM.
post #21112 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Jan. 15, 2018

BLUE PLANET MARATHON
BBC America, 9:00 a.m. ET

This Saturday, BBC America will present the latest of its peerless nature documentary miniseries: Blue Planet II, a more than worthy sequel to its 2002 masterpiece of filmmaking about our oceans and other waters, 2002’s Blue Planet. This week, as a buildup to that new entry, BBC America offers daily mini-marathons of other of its nature documentary miniseries – starting with Blue Planet itself. The episodes will be run, in order, beginning at 9 a.m. ET, and again at 5 p.m. ET. Any of these hours – and all of them – come highly recommended, by me. I love these documentaries, and the contributions of narrator David Attenborough in particular.

THE GIFTED
FOX, 8:00 p.m. ET
SEASON FINALE:
Presenting two episodes to fill tonight’s prime time on Fox, the network wraps up its first season of this involving drama from the Marvel Comics universe. Last week’s episode teamed the renegade mutant fugitives with a different band of mutants – more militant and deadly – and now, somewhat reluctantly, they both square off against the government, which has developed a new way to employ their own captured mutants as weapons. Good news: Whatever happens to this family of mutants tonight, their story will continue: Fox just renewed The Gifted for a Season 2.

INDEPENDENT LENS: "I AM NOT YOUR NEGRO"
PBS, 9:00 p.m. ET
DOCUMENTARY FILM TV PREMIERE:
This documentary film, nominated for an Oscar, takes the title and spirit of an unfinished book by author James Baldwin, and attempts to envision and present it in film form. In it, the author examines the history, impact and meaning of the assassinations of Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, and Martin Luther King, Jr., as well as the even larger topic of race and racism in general. On today’s national holiday honoring MLK, it’s a contribution by public television that is perfectly timed. For a full review, see David Hinckley's All Along the Watchtower. Check local listings.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

TV Review (Cable)
The Strength of Our Troops with 'Chain of Command'
By David Hinckley, TVWorthWatching.com's 'All Along the Watchtower' - Jan. 15, 2018

National Geographic takes a dramatic gamble, and it pays off in Chain of Command, a new eight-part series based on America’s military and intelligence flow chart for combatting worldwide insurgency.

The order amidst the chaos.

Chain of Command, which launches Monday at 9 p.m. ET, examines how we protect America – and to a degree, by extension, the rest of the world – from the kind of attacks we saw on September 11 and more recently in arenas, shopping malls, and nightclubs.

To civilians, this often feels like it’s just too big and elusive a target. While Chain of Command can’t completely assuage those concerns, it reassures us there are battle plans.

Those plans start in the Oval Office, home of the commander in chief. Nat Geo follows them down through the Joint Chiefs of Staff, where we get extensive commentary from Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford, to ground commanders who executive plans that incorporate as little as a few blocks of a contested city.

The first episode starts with Capt. Quincy Bahler, a young Tennessee officer whose unit is stationed in Mosul, Iraq, working to clear the streets of Daesh, or ISIS troops, so Iraqi soldiers can move in and take back the city, building by building.

Bahler notes that under current rules of engagement, U.S. troops don’t go into the streets. The Iraqis do that. The mission of the U.S. and a few other allied nations is “support,” which for Bahler means watching video screens that pick up movement in contested areas.

He then must determine, with the help of Iraqis and ground informants, whether the moving figures on the screens are ISIS fighters, Iraqi troops or civilians.

If it’s ISIS, Bahler will likely blow the building up.

The show picks up in late 2016 after ISIS fighters captured Mosul and left much of the city trashed. Coalition forces are now slowly reclaiming what’s left.

Needless to say, Mosul residents are the innocent victims here, their homes and infrastructure destroyed. Exactly where they can go for refuge also isn’t clear, and the open nature of the ruined city also means U.S. troops can’t exactly hole up in a nice safe fortress. They’re on the streets, too, in a place where any man, woman or child could be strapped with a suicide bomb.

Chain of Command spends considerable time down at ground level, even as it explains how a counterintelligence operation in Africa or Central America fits into the larger mission of finding and neutralizing terrorists everywhere.

The soldiers are impressive. They joke around, they kill time and they’re serious about their mission. They also seem to grasp nuances, like the way heavy-handedness can win a day, but in the process seed even more radical behavior tomorrow.

Joint Chiefs Chairman Dunford says bluntly that we won’t win the “war on terrorism” until we help eradicate the reasons people become terrorists: poverty, dispossession, oppression, hopelessness.

The war on terrorism has always looked like a juggling act from outside, and it looks much the same from the inside. It’s both disturbing to see what America and other countries face and reassuring that we’re not ignoring it.

Chain of Command can’t neatly connect every dot or promise we’ll win every match. It does assure us a qualified team is on the field.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=15581
post #21113 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Adams View Post
Nice knockers! Thank you.
It's twooo. It's twooo.

When news breaks...we fix it.
post #21114 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
Wisdom of the Crowd Finishes Flat, Vikings/Saints Boosts Fox Slate
By Matt Webb Mitovich, TVLine.com - Jan. 15, 2018

CBS’ Wisdom of the Crowd wrapped its 13-episode run on Sunday with 5.9 million total viewers and a 0.7 rating, adding a handful of eyeballs week-to-week while holding onto its series-low demo.

Leading out of that, NCIS: Los Angeles (9 mil/1.0) drew its largest audience since its May finale while ticking up to its best demo number since Oct. 22. Madam Secretary (7.1 mil/0.7) delivered a best-since-premiere audience while up a tenth in the demo.

Over on Fox: Leading out of the Vikings’ last-minute win over the Saints (which at its peak drew north of 35 million viewers), The Simpsons (8.6 mil/3.5), Bob’s Burgers (5.1 mil/2.2), Family Guy‘s 300th episode (3.9 mil/1.7) and Last Man on Earth (3.7 mil/1.3) all hit season highs, pending adjustment.

ABC’s AFV (5.9 mil/1.2) slipped two tenths from last week’s season high. Shark Tank‘s first hour (5.3 mil/1.3) drew its biggest audience since March 3, while dipping in the demo from last week’s season high; the second hour (4.7 mil/1.2) gave ABC its best rating in the time slot in over two years (since Quantico 12/13/15).

http://tvline.com/2018/01/15/wisdom-...ale-cancelled/
post #21115 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Paramount Network Launches: What to Expect From Viacom's General Entertainment Hub
By Lesley Goldberg, The Hollywood Reporter - Jan. 15, 2018

On Jan. 18, Spike TV will become the first major basic cable network to rebrand itself in the Peak TV era of nearly 500 scripted originals.

Topped by president Kevin Kay, who was charged with leading the rebranding while also overseeing fellow Viacom cable networks TV Land and CMT, Paramount Network executives, showrunners and stars previewed what to expect from the cabler on Monday during its first appearance before press at the Television Critics Association's winter press tour.

Kay opened the day by noting that Paramount Network's official launch was a mere 72 hours away, telling the gathered press that he hoped the general entertainment network — launching with a roster of four scripted series and unscripted hits from Spike, would become a destination for "big, bold, high-quality, compelling and relatable" fare.

"We want to be the definitive new home for premium storytelling," said Kay, who reports directly into Viacom CEO Bob Bakish. "Our goal is to change the game of how viewers experience high-end scripted on basic cable. … We're a premium network without the premium subscription price."

Paramount Network will officially launch Jan. 18 at 9 p.m. with a live, Michael Jackson-themed installment of Lip Sync Battle, Spike's signature show. Its unscripted offerings also include Spike holdovers Ink Master and Bar Rescue. On the scripted side, its first offering will be Waco, the six-part miniseries about David Koresh and the Branch Davidians starring Michael Shannon and Taylor Kitsch. That will be followed in March by Heathers, an hourlong dark comedic reboot of the cult hit 1988 movie starring Christian Slater and Winona Ryder, that TV Land and Paramount Network president of development Keith Cox developed for the former. Another TV Land-turned-Paramount Network series, half-hour scripted 1970s-set feminist comedy American Woman starring Alicia Silverstone and Mena Suvari; and Kevin Costner starrer Yellowstone, picked up straight to series as the cabler's first show developed specifically for it.

Kay reiterated that Paramount Network's goal is to reach the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic. "We don't want the Spike audience to go away; we want the audience 50-50 male-female. We're not that far off as we've ended Spike. We went with Waco first because it's a big broad show but feels like it still resonates with Spike viewers and then broadens our audience," Kay said. "Heathers is a young female show. When we tested it, 35- to 49-year-old men loved it. We want to find and evolve our audience. Each of these [shows] has something special to offer. Hopefully they'll sample us and stick with the other things."

Kay also stressed that Harvey Weinstein and The Weinstein Co. have both been scrubbed from Waco and Yellowstone. "Harvey has never been part of the creative process for the show and until the company has a new name and a new path, The Weinstein Co. will not be part of either show," he said. "What Harvey did is disgusting and disheartening. … Nobody wants to be associated with the things that went on there."

As for Cox's target for scripted fare, the executive used his time before press to reiterate that they're redeveloping TV Land's First Wives Club reboot for Paramount Network with a new writer (Tracy Oliver of Girls Trip fame); teaming with Kyle Killen for Velvet; and working with David Shore (The Good Doctor, House) for a remake of British anthology Accused.

"Bring us your best — and don't go to Netflix, Amazon or Hulu because Paramount Network is going to be famous for big bold originals," Cox said of the content he hopes the town brings to the network. "We want to make linear TV urgent again," Cox added later when asked about Paramount Network's streaming plan.

Here's what to expect from Paramount Network's first four scripted series.

WACO
Originally picked up by Spike but held for the launch of Paramount Network, producers wanted to explore Koresch from multiple points of view — from his point of view and from inside the Davidians' compound as well as from the FBI's vantage. Kitsch plays the cult leader, while Shannon takes on the role of the FBI's top negotiator.

"It was a hard learning experience," Kitsch told reporters. "I've never played anybody like this or even close. I was guilty at the beginning of listening to other people's views [about Koresch] and … it started to sink in. The more I dived in and worked with [producers, survivors and the real people who covered it for the FBI] and uncovered Dave's backstory … it is one of the first questions you ask: Why. There are still things I'll never have answers to — or any of us will — with this whole incident."

Producers provided the Friday Night Lights grad with tapes and hours of calls of conversations with child protective services to formulate who the cult leader was. "This is a guy who came from a terrible upbringing who lived with his heart on his sleeve and was incredibly emotional, smart and manipulative," Kitsch said.

Premiere date: Wednesday, Jan. 24 at 10 p.m.

HEATHERS
"The thesis is everyone at their core is kind of an *******," said Brendan Scannell, who plays the gender-queer version of Heather Duke (originally played by Shannen Doherty in the film). The 10-episode drama is set in the present day and features a new set of popular-yet-evil Heathers — only this time the outcasts have become high school royalty. Heather McNamara (originally played by Lisanne Falk) is now black and portrayed by Jasmine Mathews; and Heather Chandler (originally played by Kim Walker) has a body like Martha Dumptruck and will be played by Melanie Field. Newcomers James Scully and Grace Victoria Cox star as J.D. and Veronica, respectively. Original Heathers star Doherty has a three-episode role and is the first to appear in the pilot, which was directed by Leslye Headland and written by showrunner Jason Micallef.

The series is an anthology, with the first season serving as a "love letter" to the original movie, Micallef told reporters. "Yes, people do die in our show — it's Heathers — [so] more than one and less than five of these people are going to bite the bullet." Micallef said the first season will feature a number of Easter eggs and original lines from the movie but subsequent seasons will be completely reinvented every year. "The idea is to take the spirit and reset it and run with it. The first season is a jumping off point using the original film and then we're totally rebooting; it's a completely different show from the movie."

The series will, like the original film, feature a number of suicides — something Micallef said the series intentionally doesn't handle responsibly as he looks to tell a "dark and edgy" story that "shows [teens] as they really are. Unlike the film, the exec producer hopes to really explore the why behind the suicides. "Like the original, we do hit every hot button issue, including suicide. The Heathers are aspirational. [Like] when you watch original movie, they're the people you want to be — fortunately or unfortunately," he said, noting the movie's Martha Dumptruck character has been slightly altered and the "Big Fun" original song from the movie becomes a school on the show.

"[The movie] became a cult classic; it was clearly ahead of its time," Micallef said. "It shows American society in a way that is truthful but that you don't see that often, which is one of the things that makes something stick; now was the perfect time for [the reboot]."

Premiere date: Wednesday, March 7 at 10 p.m.

AMERICAN WOMAN
The Silverstone starrer is a half-hour comedy and inspired by the life of Kyle Richards (The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills). The single-camera series is set in the 1970s amid the sexual revolution and the rise of feminism. Silverstone stars as a mother of two who finds herself facing a new world after she leaves her husband. Mena Survari co-stars.

"You'll see a lot of what my upbringing was like … in the '70s it wasn't popular to be a strong woman. … My mom was a single mom raising three daughters in a man's world," Richards told reporters.

The series hails from John Wells (Shameless, ER), who took over as showrunner after John Riggi (30 Rock) exited amid creative differences.

Co-star Jennifer Bartels said the comedy explores timely subjects including sexual harassment in the workplace and how women were objectified and sexualized in the 1970s. "You get to see a clean snapshot of what women were dealing with in the workplace as they were trying to create their own financial control," she noted.

As for the show's move from TV Land to male-leaning Spike and the eventual Paramount Network, Bartels noted that the Paramount name is associated with huge tentpole movies and that she was happy to be associated with a big brand and part of something new.

Premiere date: Thursday, June 7 at 10 p.m.

YELLOWSTONE
The 10-episode drama from Oscar nominee Taylor Sheridan (Wind River, Hell or High Water) was the first straight-to-series order picked up specifically for Paramount Network. Kevin Costner — who is getting an eye-popping $500,000 per episode — exec produces and stars (in his first series regular role) in the family drama that revolves around the Dutton family, led by John Dutton (Costner), who controls the largest contiguous ranch in the U.S., under constant attack by those it borders: land developers, an Indian reservation and America's first National Park. The series is described as a study of a violent world far from media scrutiny — where land grabs make developers billions, and politicians are bought and sold by the world’s largest oil and lumber corporations. Where drinking water poisoned by fracking wells and unsolved murders are not news, but a consequence of living in the new frontier. It is the best and worst of America seen through the eyes of a family that represents both.

"[Yellowstone] Truly encompasses everything we want Paramount Network to be," Cox said of the series, which he said would be cinematic in tone and production.

Sheridan said the goal was to create a 10-hour movie, with Costner — who previously made Untouchables for the Paramount film banner — noting that it was the writing that drew him to television for the first time. "It's what led me to [History limited series] Hatfields & McCoys and to Yellowstone," he said, adding that Sheridan writing and directing the drama was a big part of it. Costner sited the sophistication and rawness of Sheridan's writing, as much as he liked the baseball and gritty underbelly of the writing on Bull Durham. "I like long movies, I like the world Taylor created," Costner said, noting that he has a three-year deal for the show. (Though he suggested he has to check with his lawyer if that number is accurate.)

Yellowstone landed at Paramount Network after a multiple-network bidding war as it became the cabler's first show picked up specifically for the rebranded outlet. Sheridan said it was the "complete creative freedom" that convinced him to come to Paramount Network. "If there's such a thing as too much freedom, there was almost too much of it," he said. "I told them my vision, how I wanted to make it, and they agreed. It's not a model TV follows."

Premiere date: Wednesday, June 20 at 9 p.m.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...nt-hub-1074737
post #21116 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Winter TCA Tour Notes (Streaming)
‘Agatha Raisin’ Series 2 Ordered By Acorn TV
By Denise Petski, Deadline.com - Jan. 15, 2018

Acorn TV is bringing back one of its most popular original series. The network announced its first series commission – a new season of mystery series Agatha Raisin for premiere in 2018 — as part of Monday’s TCA winter press tour.

Based on MC Beaton’s best-selling novels, Agatha Raisin follows a London PR whiz turned amateur sleuth, who becomes entangled in mischief, mayhem, and murder when she opts for early retirement in a small village in the Cotswolds. Series 2 begins production in April 2018 for a late 2018 premiere. Series 2 will adapt three of MC Beaton’s novels, The Wizard of Evesham, The Curious Curate and The Fairies of Fryham and will be available internationally as three 90-minute television movies or six 45-minute episodes.

Ashley Jensen (Catastrophe, Extras, Ugly Betty), who can currently be seen in Acorn TV’s Love, Lies & Records, returns in the lead role.

Agatha Raisin was created for television by [email protected] TV. Barry Ryan and David Walton will continue to produce the series with Michele Buck from Company Pictures remaining on board as executive producer and Guy Hescott as producer. Acorn Media Enterprises, the UK-based development division for the Acorn brand of RLJ Entertainment, has partnered with [email protected] and Company Pictures to co-produce the new season along with Acorn Media International distributing in all English-speaking territories and International distributor all3media International distributing in the rest of the world.

Shane Murphy, Managing Director, Acorn Media Enterprises, said, “After our success with co-producing several critically-acclaimed Acorn TV Originals including Love, Lies & Records, Striking Out, and Agatha Christie’s The Witness for the Prosecution, we’re thrilled to bring back our first Original Series as our first commission. When the UK broadcaster chose not to renew it, Acorn decided to step in and fully commission the show itself in-order to keep this terrific series going for our subscribers. We’re ecstatic to make it our first official full commission. We look forward to announcing several more commissions in the coming months.”

“After another record year and ending 2017 with our biggest month of acquisitions yet in December, we’re thrilled to announce our first commission, adds Acorn TV General Manager Matthew Graham. “Agatha Raisin remains one of Acorn TV’s most popular series and the fans have been clamoring for new episodes since its premiere in August 2016.”

Graham notes, “2018 is shaping up to be our best year yet with even more exclusives and Originals for our subscribers. Acorn TV will feature ten Acorn TV Originals including BBC comedy Detectorists, new ITV drama Girlfriends and the return of Irish legal drama Striking Out, as well as exclusive new seasons of A Place to Call Home, Delicious, The Heart Guy, The Good Karma Hospital, The Brokenwood Mysteries, 800 Words, and Murdoch Mysteries, among many other much-loved series. As an independent SVOD, we’re passionate about curating the very best in British television as well as amazing series out of Ireland, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and more.”

Acorn TV premiered the pilot movie Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death and its follow-up eight-episode first season in August 2016. In the first season, Agatha found her hopes of a quiet life dashed when more murders started occurring in her village. Drawn into their mysteries, Agatha attempted to solve the crimes… often in rather unorthodox ways.

Returning for Series 2 are Agatha’s former assistant, Roy (Mathew Horne); eager Detective Constable Bill Wong (Matt McCooey); and her cleaner, Gemma (Katy Wix).

http://deadline.com/2018/01/agatha-r...ca-1202243330/
Plager8 likes this.
post #21117 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like a viewing of Wong Kar-Wai's "Chungking Express" is in order for tonight.

Obituary
Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries dies at age 46
By Kara Fox, CNN.com - Jan. 15, 2018

Dolores O'Riordan, the lead singer of the Irish band The Cranberries, died in London on Monday, according to a statement from her publicist.

O'Riordan, who was 46, died "suddenly" according to the statement, but no details were given on the cause of her death.

The singer was in London for a short recording session, the statement added.

The Cranberries rose to global fame in the mid-1990s with a string of hits, including "Linger," "Zombie" and "Dreams." The group, from Limerick, has sold more than 40 million albums worldwide.

In 2007, O'Riordan launched a solo project with her album "Are you Listening?" before reuniting with the group in 2009. She also teamed up with The Smiths' bassist Andy Rourke and DJ Ole Koretsky to provide the vocals for the group D.A.R.K.

In 2017, The Cranberries released "Something Else," an acoustic album featuring some of the band's most popular hits, along with three new recordings.

But they canceled many dates on their 2017 Europe and North America tour, with the band citing O'Riordan's ongoing back problems as the cause.

On Twitter Monday, The Cranberries said that O'Riordan's family members are "devastated" by the news and have requested privacy.

Irish President Michael D. Higgins said her death was "a big loss" to the Irish arts community and he reflected on his initial introduction to the late vocalist through a Limerick politician.

"Dolores O'Riordan and The Cranberries had an immense influence on rock and pop music in Ireland and internationally. I recall with fondness the late Limerick TD Jim Kemmy's introduction of her and The Cranberries to me, and the pride he and so many others took in their successes," Higgins said in a statement.

Personal dedications to the late singer have flooded social media, with some of Ireland's biggest musicians paying tribute.

Irish singer Hozier said: "My first time hearing Dolores O'Riordan's voice was unforgettable. It threw into question what a voice could sound like in that context of Rock. I'd never heard somebody use their instrument in that way. Shocked and saddened to hear of her passing, thoughts are with her family."

UK pop group Duran Duran wrote, "We are crushed to hear the news about the passing of Dolores O'Riordan. Our thoughts go out to her family at this terrible time."

O'Riordan and Duran Duran's former tour manager, Don Burton, were married in 1994 and had three children. They divorced in 2014.

CNN's Hilary McGann contributed to this report.

http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/15/entert...ntl/index.html
post #21118 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
No, not that creepy. Just something about the voice. Also, when I think of a Jack-in-the-box, an image of a guy in a tailored suit isn't the first one that comes to mind. And the nose gives me "A Clockwork Orange" flashbacks..

This example is a little better. I can't find the simple standing-there spot that ran over the weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-p_C7aFntA
His voice reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite's brother Kip.

The guy who previously provided Jack's voice didn't sound like this.
post #21119 of 32585 Old 01-15-2018, 03:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
re: the death of Keith Jackson

RIP to Mr. Jackson. No one could call a game like him. There's still no one who can replace him.
DrDon, mikeewing and Nayan like this.
post #21120 of 32585 Old 01-16-2018, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Lifetime announces Meghan Markle and Prince Harry TV movie
By David Canfield, EW.com - Jan. 15, 2018

Lifetime has put a film chronicling the romance of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle into development, the cable network announced Sunday at the 2018 winter TCA press tour. Casting is currently underway.

Harry & Meghan: The Royal Love Story is being described as the romantic tale of a beloved prince and his new fiancée. The film will trace Prince Harry and Markle’s relationship from the day they met to the overwhelming media attention surrounding their eventual engagement, which was announced in November. It will also touch on their courtship after they were set up by mutual friends and depict Markle’s life as a divorced American actress.

Menhaj Huda, who helmed an episode of E!’s fictional Royal Family series The Royals last year, is on hand to direct. Merideth Finn and Michele Weiss are executive producers.

No premiere date has been set, but the film appears destined for a May launch, in the lead-up to the May 19 royal wedding. After all, this is not Lifetime’s first movie in this particular area: The network previously produced William & Kate: The Movie, about the build-up to the wedding between Prince William of Wales and Kate Middleton, and it premiered just 11 days before the big day in 2011.

Prince Harry and Markle capped their year-and-a-half-long whirlwind romance with an anticipated engagement announcement last fall, via Clarence House. “His Royal Highness and Ms. Markle became engaged in London earlier this month,” the statement read. “Prince Harry has informed Her Majesty The Queen and other close members of his family. Prince Harry has also sought and received the blessing of Ms. Markle’s parents. The couple will live in Nottingham Cottage at Kensington Palace.”

Harry & Meghan: The Royal Love Story will premiere in 2018.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/01/15/prince-h...ifetime-movie/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page