Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 727 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13454Likes

post #21781 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked: 2038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
While I agree with you that this site's censoring is completely overboard I think we all have to remember that this site is not here for your benefit, it's here to make money for the owners. You, me, DrDon and everyone else that comes to this site are merely the product. The owners of this site sell us to the advertisers and if some vulgarity keeps away a few pageviews then the owners lose money, hence the filtering.

I do agree that the censoring of a person's name is absolutely stupid and shows a lack of effort on the developer's part. But again, their pageviews($$$$$) are way more important than treating someone's name with respect.
I always thought that was what the "exceptions" list was for.

I know PHPBB has one. Does VBulletin not have the ability to white list specific terms that would otherwise be caught up in the censored list?
Brian Conrad and Keenan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21782 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spwace View Post
I bought and built a Heathkit model in 1969 that had an independent line level audio jack. I replaced it with another Heathkit, which also included the jack, in the late 70s. That set was replaced by a Sony XBR in the 90s. It didn't offer much of an advantage until the late 70s when AT&T upgraded their network audio infrastructure to produce Hi-Fi quality audio. When stereo audio was launched, Heathkit offered an upgrade kit that included a Zenith decoder box and I took advantage of that,
Both my family's main TV from around 1979 and my first personal TV from the mid-eighties had audio outputs. In the case of my TV, I hooked it up to my stereo system.

Back then, the speakers were bigger than the TV.

I don't remember how much our first VCR (a 2-head model) was, but our first video camera (a full size VHS from around 1984) was about $1200. It was a fancy with connections for deck to deck editing.
post #21783 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked: 3462
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetworkTV View Post
I always thought that was what the "exceptions" list was for.

I know PHPBB has one. Does VBulletin not have the ability to white list specific terms that would otherwise be caught up in the censored list?
Yes, it's just being flat out lazy on the site developer's part and to censor a person's name because it contains the letters that can form a swear word is unacceptably disrespectful, it's shameful in fact. If the article can't be posted without censoring out people's names then it shouldn't be posted at all. So everytime that actor's name gets mentioned here her name is going to be mangled beyond recognition? Utterly stupid and ridiculous.

Last edited by Keenan; 02-23-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #21784 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2282 Post(s)
Liked: 1753
Quote:
Yes, it's just being flat out lazy on the site developer's part and to censor a person's name because it contains the letters that can form a swear word is unacceptably disrespectful, it's shameful in fact. If the article can't be posted without censoring out people's names then it shouldn't be posted at all. So everytime that actor's name gets mentioned here her name is going to be mangled beyond recognition? Utterly stupid and ridiculous.
Plus isn't this site now owned by a Canadian company? Canada has more relaxed broadcast standards when it comes to censorship than the US as has been oft discussed here. I bought one of there PBS like productions on DVD that couldn't have never been broadcast on PBS (though it might have in the late 1970s). Also there are many news sites that would have reviewed the series that are available in "mixed worksites" too and I doubt if anyone would care.
post #21785 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 10:35 AM
UHD Addict

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8912 Post(s)
Liked: 5695
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa dave View Post
You didn't have a VCR?
Not until 1984.

53TB unRAID2--49TB unRAID3--43TB unRAID1a
TCL 6 Series--Sony UBP-X800--Philips BDP7502--Onkyo HT-S7800
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #21786 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 10:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1127 Post(s)
Liked: 764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
Plus isn't this site now owned by a Canadian company? Canada has more relaxed broadcast standards when it comes to censorship than the US as has been oft discussed here. I bought one of there PBS like productions on DVD that couldn't have never been broadcast on PBS (though it might have in the late 1970s). Also there are many news sites that would have reviewed the series that are available in "mixed worksites" too and I doubt if anyone would care.
Makes no difference whatsoever. There is no law prohibiting bad language on the internet in the USA, or cable TV, or satellite TV, or books, or newspapers. Just over the air broadcasts.
post #21787 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked: 3462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conrad View Post
USA Today spells her name out in full, and you can't get more mainstream media than that. No, it's just laziness on VerticalScope's part.
post #21788 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3052 Post(s)
Liked: 2504
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Olympic Notes
Russian Olympian Who Wore 'I Don't Do Doping' Shirt Caught for Doping
By Evan Dyal, 12Up.com - Feb. 23, 2018

Surprise! There's another doping scandal at this year's Winter Olympics. This time, it's (surprise!!) a Russian athlete, bobsledder Nadezhda Sergeeva.

The Russian Bobsled Federation -- yes, that is a thing -- confirmed that she tested positive for a banned substance, a heart medication that affects metabolism. What makes this more surprising is two weeks before the Olympics she was seen wearing a shirt that read, " I don't do doping."

Well, apparently she does.

This is obviously a horrible look for her and for Russia. Since this is their second athlete who got caught, it is possible that "Olympic Athletes from Russia," as goes the term of art, won't be allowed to participate in the closing ceremony.

What is surprising about this is that she passed a first test five days before failing her second. She denies taking anything improper, and in the big picture, this doesn't have an effect on her and her crew at Pyeonchang, as they finished 12th.

This test can jeopardize her ability to compete in a future tournament, however, and the Russian Olympic Committee itself can face serious sanctions.

And I thought bobsledding was supposed to be fun.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/win...id=mailsignout
post #21789 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
Olympics Ratings Rise With Russian Skating Drama, Steady With Sochi 2014
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Feb. 23, 2018

Officially, Russia isn’t participating in the XXIII Winter Games because of the fallout of a doping scandal, but they owned the ice in PyeongChang as Alina Zagitova and Evgenia Medvedeva proved last night.

While formally competing under the neutral Olympics Athlete from Russia banner, the duo scored a close gold and silver in ladies’ figure skating. Zagitova’s near-perfect performance is the first gold Russia or the OAR has earned in the 2018 Games.

If Washington DC is nothing but consumed by Robert Mueller’s Russia probe, America picked up some icy fever last night as NBC’s ratings rose from the near-low of Wednesday night. Peaking with a 12.7/22 in metered market results in the 10:30-10:45 PM ET slot as the skating heated up, NBC and NBC Sports Network’s combined primetime coverage Thursday averaged a 12.0/20.

In an Olympics that has seen some harsh lows and near-double-digit declines from Sochi 2014, clearly NBC was giving the people what they wanted last night, even if the stars weren’t American. Put it this way: last night’s primetime was up 8% from the night before, which saw the second-worst ratings and viewership outcome for the XXIII Winter Games so far.

It wasn’t all roses being tossed on the ice for the Comcast-owned outlets. Compared to the first Thursday of the 2018 Games, last night’s primetime slid 8% and was down by the same margin versus the comparable second Thursday of the Sochi 2014 Games, following the general trend of PyeongChang’s ratings compared with 2014.

The total audience delivery for February 15, 2014 ended up being a struggling 19.2 million.

As it has throughout these Winter Olympics, NBCUniversal has been bundling NBC and NBCSN numbers into one big borscht. As we have throughout the Games, Deadline has been also putting NBC 2018 up against Sochi, which was only shown on NBC. In that matchup, last night’s primetime on the Big 4 net was down 22% from the results of February 20, 2014. That night saw the Olympics up against a then-all-time low-hitting American Idol on Fox.

Last night put the Winter Games up against the finale of the mildly witty counterprogramming of The Bachelor: Winter Games (0.7/3). The end of the timely run of the ABC show was even with its performance of last week.

We will update with final Olympics numbers later today. In other news, we have a flag bearer for the Closing Ceremony on February 25; congrats to gold medalist cross country skier Jessie Diggins.

http://deadline.com/2018/02/alina-za...bc-1202300990/
post #21790 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
Nashville Sets Series Finale Date, Adds Mia Maestro and St. Elsewhere Vet
By Kimberly Roots, TVLine.com - Feb. 22, 2018

It’s official: Nashville will strum its last chord on Thursday, July 26.

The country-music drama will return for the series’ final eight episodes on Thursday, June 7, at 9/8c, CMT announced just after the midseason finale aired Thursday. As usual, all episodes will be available to stream on Hulu the day after they air.

In addition, Nashville will add two recurring guest stars in the last batch of episodes. Mia Maestro (Alias, The Strain) will play Rosa, a true-believer member of The Movement for Coherent Philosophy who is starting to doubt her involvement in the organization.

Meanwhile, Ronny Cox (St. Elsewhere, Stargate SG-1) has been cast as Deacon’s father, Gideon Claybourne. Per the official character description, Gideo is a “recently reformed lifelong alcoholic” and “crusty, frustrated, would-be musician” who’ll enter the action as he tries to repair his relationship with his son.

“It was just such a happy turn of events for us that we could get” Cox, Nashville co-showrunner Marshall Herskovitz tells TVLine. “It just gives us a real chance to do real drama, a story about a really badly sundered relationship where these two men have not seen each other in many years.”

Herskovitz adds that Cox will sing during his time on the show.

http://tvline.com/2018/02/22/nashvil...ate-cmt-video/
post #21791 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes
Stephen King’s The Bone Church is Becoming a TV Series
By Dominic Patten, ScreenRant.com - Feb. 23, 2018

Stephen King’s creepy narrative poem The Bone Church is becoming a TV series. Fans of King are currently experiencing something of a golden age of adaptations of the author’s work. Of course, the biggest was 2017’s IT, which focused on the childhood section of King’s mammoth book, and the resulting movie went on to gross over $700 million worldwide, making it one of the most successful horror films ever made.

2017 also saw stellar adaptations of King’s Gerald’s Game and 1922, which were both Netflix original productions. A TV series based on Mr Mercedes also aired in 2017, receiving strong reviews and quickly being renewed for a second season. Naturally, studios are now snapping up the rights to further King stories, and in the future fans can look forward to IT: Chapter 2, a remake of Pet Semetary and Doctor Sleep.

Now Deadline is reporting an adaptation of King’s narrative poem The Bone Church is on the way. The poem is told from the perspective of a drunken bar patron, who recounts the tale of a doomed expedition he was once part to an unnamed jungle to find the mystical Bone Church. The show is being developed by Cedar Park Entertainment, which is owned by director David Ayer (Bright) and Mr Mercedes executive producer Chris Long.

While there have been a lot of quality adaptations of King’s writing of late, not all of them have worked. A TV series based on his short story The Mist arrived to much excitement in 2017, only to disappoint viewers with its tepid drama and changes to the source material. Likewise, The Dark Tower is based on the author’s epic fantasy series, but the resulting film starring Idris Elba proved a massive letdown for fans. A TV series is currently in the works, which King has claimed will be a reboot unconnected to the movie.

For the next few years at least, audiences should expect an influx of King movies and television shows. The author himself started legal proceedings last year to reclaim the rights to Children Of The Corn, Firestarter and Cujo, among others, and says producers are eyeing a new mini-series based on his apocalyptic novel The Stand, and a movie based on Salem’s Lot. The last one, in particular, makes sense since, like IT, it was also adapted into a memorable mini-series that terrified fans at a young age.

Hopefully, The Bone Church and the other incoming adaptations will maintain the level of quality seen in recent outings, because more Stephen King is always a good thing.

https://screenrant.com/stephen-king-...rch-tv-series/
post #21792 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:
When stereo audio was launched, Heathkit offered an upgrade kit that included a Zenith decoder box and I took advantage of that,
I bought the Radio Shack OTA MTS tuner in order to record stereo on my Umatic decks.

"You're Sherlock Holmes, wear the damn hat!" - Watson to Sherlock
Sherlock - The Abominable Bride - 1/01/16
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #21793 of 30499 Old 02-23-2018, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
I bought and built a Heathkit model in 1969 that had an independent line level audio jack. I replaced it with another Heathkit, which also included the jack, in the late 70s. That set was replaced by a Sony XBR in the 90s. It didn't offer much of an advantage until the late 70s when AT&T upgraded their network audio infrastructure to produce Hi-Fi quality audio. When stereo audio was launched, Heathkit offered an upgrade kit that included a Zenith decoder box and I took advantage of that,
My first experience with Heathkit was building a Super Regenerative CB Transceiver in 1961. Afterwards, several meters and other kits, most notably the GR53A (21" Round Tube) Color TV kit in 1964, the AR-15 Receiver, and finally around 1980, the GR4000 (6 ft.) Projection TV. It was an incredible learning experience and confidence builder for someone with no knowledge of electronics.
post #21794 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Obituary
Nanette Fabray, TV Star of the ’50s and ’60s, Dies at 97
By Carmel Dagan, Variety.com - Feb. 23, 2018

The exuberant, indefatigable actress-singer Nanette Fabray, a Tony and Emmy winner, a star of Vincente Minnelli’s golden-age musical “The Band Wagon” and a longtime presence on television, most notably on “The Hollywood Squares,” died Thursday at her Palos Verdes, Calif., home, according to the New York Times. She was 97.

In MGM’s “The Band Wagon” (1953), also starring Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse and Oscar Levant, Fabray appeared in that classic film’s two most famous numbers, “That’s Entertainment” and, as one of the bratty (and bizarre) babies in high chairs, “Triplets.”

Fabray also appeared on TV comedies and drama, starring on “Westinghouse Playhouse,” created by then-husband Ranald MacDougall, and recurring as Grandma Katherine Romano on hit 1970s sitcom “One Day at a Time.” She guested on “Burke’s Law,” “The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.,” “The Mary Tyler Moore Show,” on which she played Mary’s mother; “Love American Style,” “Maude,” “Murder, She Wrote” and “Coach.”

“A true performer and star of Hollywood’s Golden Age, Nanette Fabray had limitless exuberance and an expert sense of comic timing,” said SAG-AFTRA President Gabrielle Carteris. “Her dedication to her art was equaled only by her generosity and willingness to help others.”

Fabray was a musical comedy star on Broadway in the 1940s, making her debut in “Let’s Face It!,” starring Danny Kaye and Eve Arden, and subsequently appearing in “By Jupiter,” “My Dear Public,” “Jackpot” and “Bloomer Girl.” She had star billing in “High Button Shoes,” “Love Life” — for which she won the Tony for best actress in a musical — and 1951’s “Make a Wish.” She later returned to the Rialto in 1962 to star with Robert Ryan in “Mr. President,” from Lindsay Crouse and Irving Berlin, and drew another nomination for best actress in a musical.

The actress appeared regularly on Sid Caesar’s “Caesar’s Hour” in the mid-’50s, winning three Emmys. She also guested on a seemingly innumerable number of variety shows, talkshows and gameshows starting in 1950 with “Your Show of Shows.” Fabray appeared on “The Ed Sullivan Show” five times and “The Carol Burnett Show” 13 times, and she showed up on programs fronted by Perry Como, Steve Allen, Jack Benny, Dinah Shore, Andy Williams, Merv Griffin, Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, the Smothers Brothers and Bob Hope, as well as on “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In.”

Fabray appeared on 184 episodes of gameshow “The Hollywood Squares” from 1967-78. Other gameshow credits included “What’s My Line,” “Password All-Stars” and “Match Game.”

Born in San Diego, Nanette Ruby Bernadette Fabares was a singer and tap dancer in vaudeville as a child.

As an ingenue, she appeared in the 1939 films “Essex and Elizabeth,” “The Monroe Doctrine”and “A Child Is Born,” credited as Nanette Fabares, but she never developed a substantial movie career.

Much later, she appeared in “The Happy Ending” (1969) and was among the stars of the 1970 comedy Western “Cockeyed Cowboys of Calico County” and of the comedy “Harper Valley P.T.A.” (1978). She appeared in the 1981 indie “Amy,” starred as an IRS investigator in the 1987 film “Personal Exemptions” and made her last bigscreen appearance in 1994’s “Teresa’s Tattoo.”

Fabray was an interviewee in the 2009 “American Masters” episode “Jerome Robbins: Something to Dance About.”

She won the SAG Life Achievement Award in 1987.

Fabray was married to NBC executive David Tebet from 1947-1951 and to screenwriter Ranald MacDougall from 1957 until his death in 1973.

Survivors include a son, Jamie, from her second marriage and a niece, actress Shelley Fabares, and her husband, actor Mike Farrell.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/nane...es-1202709309/
post #21795 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
Organized crime is a franchise business in AMC's 'McMafia'
By Bill Keveney, USA Today - Feb. 23, 2018

If Goodfellas and The Sopranos signaled a wheezing, dying Italian-American Mafia, AMC’s McMafia presents organized crime as a robust global franchise business.

The eight-part miniseries (premiering Monday, 10 ET/PT), based on Misha Glenny’s 2008 non-fiction book, traces a network of corruption linked in cyberspace and often fueled by seemingly legitimate sources from the international banking system.

“If you look at The Sopranos, there’s this notion of a criminal element on its last legs. What comes out of Misha's book is the sense that it hasn’t died but has been reinvented into this many-headed hydra exporting itself around the world,” says co-creator and director James Watkins.

Crime on this level needs access to the financial system, and that’s provided by Harvard-educated investor Alex Godman (James Norton, Grantchester), who has one foot in London's high society and the other in an immigrant family with Russian mob connections.

Today's organized crime is "a different beast,” Norton says. “The traditional sense of the Mafia is that it’s incredibly cruel and corrupt but there’s an honor and a romance. The Mafia McMafia paints is really just to do with money.”

Alex lives with his girlfriend Rebecca Harper (Juliet Rylance), a high-minded proponent of ethical capitalism. He's devoted to her cause, but is eventually drawn into crime by his family, echoing The Godfather’s Michael Corleone.

“The Godfather is the talismanic giant that hangs over everything in the gangster genre,” says Watkins, who filmed the limited series in 12 countries over 150 days. Italian-American Michael Corleone and Anglo-Russian Alex Godman are outsiders seeking social acceptance and each is "trying to escape his past and is in some way unable to."

Alex, who becomes a pawn in a skirmish between his family and Russian rival Vadim Kalyagin (Merab Ninidze), saves his business by accepting an investment from Semiyon Kleiman (David Strathairn), a cultivated Israeli businessman who oversees an underworld empire.

Alex's descent into corruption begins in a genteel manner as he clicks a mouse to transfer Kleiman's money, which will move through offshore entities and eventually finance drug smuggling in Mumbai and sex trafficking in the Middle East.

“His arm is twisted and he’s forced into this journey," Norton says. His motives include "revenge and protection of his family, himself and his business assets. He uses those to justify his actions. (But) he loses track and, at a certain point, the audience stops understanding his justifications."

Alex is "in this gray area between hero and villain,” he says. “Like anyone, he’s open and vulnerable to temptation. But he has a darkness and conflict about his Russianness and his family's past and criminality. He’s a wonderful, complicated mess.”

Glenny says a system of gang franchising was described to him as McMafia (patterned after McDonald's), illustrated by stories of the notorious Chechen Mafia franchising its name to other Russian gangs, as long as “they paid a tribute and upheld standards, (including) ruthlessness in the face of competition," he says. "I saw a lot of parallels to global corporations” that act legally.

McMafia features stories from Glenny’s book, including an Eastern European woman kidnapped and forced into the sex trade and a hacker who infiltrated a major port’s computer system to facilitate smuggling.

It also parallels the real world of digital connection and opaque financing where the Panama Papers revealed potential illegal acts, Russia digitally interfered with the U.S. presidential campaign and world leaders have been accused of corruption.

“A lot of stuff vindicated us. We were really being chased by the zeitgeist,” Norton says. "As Semiyon said, 'These wars are no longer fought in the streets. Your weapon is not the gun or the knife but the ability to move money.' Criminality is so much bigger than families like The Sopranos."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...fia/353558002/
post #21796 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 06:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV Notes (Cable)
Nashville Sets Series Finale Date, Adds Mia Maestro and St. Elsewhere Vet
By Kimberly Roots, TVLine.com - Feb. 22, 2018

Meanwhile, Ronny Cox (St. Elsewhere, Stargate SG-1) has been cast as Deacon’s father, Gideon Claybourne....
Ironically, Ronny Cox's character on St. Elsewhere was Dr. John Gideon (the all-business administrator of St. Eligius Hospital for the show's final season).
aaronwt likes this.

Scott

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt...
Hot Off the Press / Philips and Magnavox DVD Recorders

post #21797 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

No political comments, please.

TV Notes (Cable)

Keith Olbermann to Return to ESPN Next Week – At Least, for 2 Days
By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - Feb. 23, 2018

Someone wake up Dan Patrick: Keith Olbermann is returning to ESPN next week.

The assignment is temporary — for now, at least — as Olbermann will fill in for Michael Wilbon opposite Tony Kornheiser on popular sports debate program “PTI.” The guest stint appears to be another step in a possible full-time reunion between Olbermann and self-proclaimed Leader in Sports.

Next Thursday and Friday, March 1 and 2, marks Olbermann’s first time doing “Pardon The Interruption.”

Olbermann got his start in media co-hosting ESPN’s “SportsCenter” alongside Patrick, which the duo dubbed “The Big Show.” He then had a high-profile breakup with ESPN, only to eventually return and exit again.

Last week, the MSNBC alum was on ESPN’s “Golic and Wingo.” Olbermann has also recently voiced a few pieces for “SportsCenter,” and he was just on “Outside the Lines” to talk about MLB Hall of Fame selections.

https://www.thewrap.com/keith-olberm...next-week-pti/
Nayan likes this.
post #21798 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Business Notes
The New Economics of TV's Reboot Craze
By Michael O'Connell, The Hollywood Reporter - Feb. 21, 2018

During a Feb. 13 episode of Ellen DeGeneres' talk show, Jerry Seinfeld tested the enthusiasm threshold of the host's already-animated audience when he told her that it's "possible" he might someday revisit his eponymous 1990s NBC sitcom.

No, Seinfeld will not be back on the network's "Must See" block for fall 2018. But the fact that DeGeneres' question was even answered after two decades of the comedian rolling his eyes at such suggestions is a sign of the times. Revivals of contemporary classic sitcoms Will & Grace, Roseanne and Murphy Brown, original casts still in place, have shifted industry perception to the point where few series wouldn't be considered fair game for some kind of update. These continuations, a strange breed that's neither remake nor the original iteration, are still just a fraction of the reboots dominating the TV landscape — reflecting the often complicated dealmaking and the fact that most runs aren't expected to last long.

"Netflix really kicked this into high gear with Fuller House," says one studio chief. "It's one of the worst shows that I've ever seen, but it's by far their most watched. It woke everybody up to look at their own libraries."

Fuller House, which stars Candace Cameron Bure and reunites nearly all her co-stars from ABC's Full House (1987-95), was not an easy sell. Original creator Jeff Franklin first shopped the family sitcom (technically a spinoff) as a 10-90 deal (a 100-episode order if the first 10 work), when the initial success of Charlie Sheen's on-the-cheap Anger Management briefly had those in fashion. Nobody would bite. It was Netflix that ultimately reached out to Franklin to hear the pitch before rushing the show to premiere in early 2016. "We went out to all the likely suspects, and they all passed," Franklin tells THR over email. "Without Netflix, this show would not have happened. And all the sitcom reboots that followed may not have happened, either. You're welcome, Roseanne." (Netflix is said to have "overpaid" for both Fuller House and its remake of Norman Lear's One Day at a Time.)

The success of Fuller House, like all things on Netflix, is somewhat ambiguous. Its true audience is unknown, though anecdote suggests it is high. Nielsen cited a third-season premiere week haul of 4.6 million viewers, and the streamer itself claimed subscribers plow through it faster than all but one other original on the roster. (The series with that distinction is another reboot: the four Netflix movies reuniting the cast of the defunct WB/CW drama Gilmore Girls.) Both projects prompted a broadcast network scramble to get on the nostalgia bandwagon — just as Netflix, which allegedly paid roughly $45 million to resurrect the Mitch Hurwitz cult favorite Arrested Development as one of its first big original plays, decided it was not in the TV salvage business. The trend now belongs to the Big Four, desperate to drum up buzz by harkening back to their heyday.

It's working at NBC. Most point to Will & Grace as the current standard of reboot success. At the very least, it's the show that ABC will measure Roseanne against when the comedy returns from its 20-year break March 27. Will & Grace ranks as NBC's No. 1 comedy of the season, and it trails only CBS' Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon on the list of top comedies across TV. Better still, the already-renewed comedy barely costs more money than a typical first-year show, say sources.

"As far as the financials, these look similar to any new show being launched with high-end talent on board," says a TV lit agent. "Where you can get into issues are the original agency packages."

Will & Grace, like Fuller House or Gilmore Girls, has the benefit of the original creator, stars and studio all being keen to make it happen. The only speed bump comes with paying out to those stray parties who are no longer involved.

Independent agent Scott Schwartz, who hasn't represented Will & Grace co-creators Max Mutchnick and David Kohan for several years, gets a piece of the new show for his role in putting it on the air back in 1998. (NBC is paying roughly $2 million an episode.) "You could always try to make the case that it's something different," the agent adds, "but they're the same damn shows."

If the original creator is not involved, he or she will still get a cut, be it a continuation or a more traditional remake. The Writers Guild of America affords multiple protections in its contracts. Matt Williams, Roseanne's creator and first showrunner, departed in season one after butting heads with Roseanne Barr. He still saw his name run with the lone "created by" tag for the eight and a half seasons that followed. And that credit will remain intact for the show's new episodes, even though he's as uninvolved as ever. Williams, who also gifted ABC with Home Improvement, did get a courtesy call before the official reboot announcement — and the extravagant pitch to ad buyers that followed. Sources say he'll receive a percentage of his past royalties and backend. Such passive payments, according to one lawyer, are a victory at a time when backend is becoming harder to come by.

It pays to be polite, by the way. Creators who don't get a heads-up before the cat's out of the bag often end up being either "very expensive or very difficult." Entitlements vary wildly. "In the ideal world, these creators should not find out from a press release," notes another TV lit agent, speaking about more traditional remakes. "But that's definitely not always the case."

"Marcy [Carsey] and I have been approached about doing a reboot of one thing or another, but it's hard to make a reboot fresh," says Roseanne rights owner and Carsey-Werner co-founder Tom Werner. "We always had this sense of, 'We want to be proud of something that we did,' and we don't need the income."

Not that it doesn't boost a writer to get his or her series back into the conversation. In addition to the fact that a remake or new episodes means collecting more fees, the current streamer push for old libraries has sweetened the backend on the originals for many. Hulu secured the original Full House after the success of its Netflix spinoff. And, after ABC announced its plans for Roseanne, Amazon Prime struck a streaming deal with distribution house FilmRise for its first nine seasons and several other titles in the Carsey-Werner catalog. "There's a huge appetite for nostalgia in some of these streamers," says FilmRise acquisitions vp Max Einhorn. "And there's been a large, sustained interest for Roseanne since it premiered on Amazon. I think ABC will see that reflected in their own ratings come March."

Contrary to common assumption, these new runs don't automatically come with rights to the old seasons. They can be negotiated together or separately. NBCUniversal licensed only the first eight seasons of Will & Grace to Hulu at the time of the show's return (for nearly $15 million, a deal described as "cheap"). What happens with the ninth and upcoming 10th season for their second window is up in the air. Warner Bros. has yet to make any formal deal for Murphy Brown's back catalog, although Hulu is said to have expressed interest and CBS streamer All Access seems like a natural choice, given that the reboot is for CBS. Many express skepticism about how individually valuable these new seasons can be. After all, they're short orders — between nine and 16 episodes — and, even in success, aren't expected to last many seasons. Showtime poured tens of millions into David Lynch's return to Twin Peaks, but the one-off has made little awards impact for a prestige play, and the ratings (2 million viewers, across platforms) did not spike as many thought they would. New episodes of The X-Files, revived at Fox with original leads David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, pulled nearly 14 million weekly viewers with a 2016 event series. But the audience for its 2018 follow-up is down 55 percent, and Anderson has already said she's not signing for a third season.

That's hardly stalled talks on other titles. Sony is trying to reassemble Helen Hunt and Paul Reiser for more Mad About You. NBC execs have passively discussed bringing back The Office, and the network is said to be equally interested in reassembling former cast and the option of just starting from scratch. The ecosystem is certainly better built for the latter, where the cast is typically less expensive (the four leads of Will & Grace each made $250,000 per episode for the first season of the show's return and will make $350,000 a pop for the second season, still less than their salaries when the original run ended) and eager to sign on for more. Remakes with new casts and creative teams litter the dial, from CBS procedurals Hawaii Five-0 and MacGyver to The CW's soapy Dynasty. And networks only want more. Up-and-coming TV scribes are frequently sent off to studios to peruse IP libraries like they're self-serve frozen yogurt bars — either to get inspiration or to find familiar packaging for an idea they've already cooked up. "Almost half of the pilots ordered this year were based off of intellectual property," CAA TV lit agent Tiffany Ward says of the reboot grab. "That kind of proportion, coupled with a dormant title that fits with a creator's idea, makes adding recognizable titles a worthy conversation to have."

At least two creators are even trying to revive one of their own shows with a new setup. Christopher Keyser and Amy Lippman, behind '90s family drama Party of Five, were inspired by the success of This Is Us to put a timely twist on their story of orphans raising each other after the death of parents. Freeform gave a substantial pilot commitment to a new version focused on a group of Los Angeles kids whose parents are forced back to Mexico by U.S. Immigration.

"The question always has to be, 'Why now?' " says Keyser. "We weren't sitting for years trying to figure out how to get this thing to happen again. It didn't have a reason for being until now."

Adds Lippman, "Then you look up and you're part of a trend."

For CBS Television Studios president David Stapf, with new versions of Cagney & Lacey, Charmed and Magnum, P.I. all in consideration for next season, there's no doubt: "How do you break through the clutter when there are 20 places to sell a show? The marketing and promo folks will always tell you, 'Give me a title. Give me a star. Give me something where I'm not starting from scratch.' And, in many cases, these series come with built-in, contemporary fan bases through years of original series reruns on both cable and streaming platforms."

What network or streaming service wouldn't pay a premium for more Seinfeld? Jerry and company may not be prepping that comeback, but NBC (and everyone else) will line up to put it on the air should they ever — no matter what happens with Roseanne, Murphy Brown or the shows that will no doubt come after them. The nature of this abundant TV market demands it. "When these start to bomb or quickly flame out, you will see less enthusiasm from the marketplace," says Franklin. "But there will always be room for the right property to rise again. Still Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, anyone?"

Lesley Goldberg contributed to this report.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...-craze-1086797
CHeath likes this.
post #21799 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked: 4044
Quote:
No political comments, please.

TV Notes (Cable)

Is that directed at us or Olbermann?
bwaldron and dad1153 like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #21800 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

^^^ We should ALL look both ways before crossing the [free speech] street.

TV Notes (Cable)
Disney Channel Orders Original Series ‘Amphibia’ and ‘The Owl House’
By Michael Malone, Broadcasting & Cable - Feb. 23, 2018

Disney Channel has ordered a pair of original animated series, Amphibia, from Matt Braly, and The Owl House, from Dana Terrace. Both are produced by Disney Television Animation and are slated to premiere in 2019.

Disney Channel also ordered a season four pickup of Star vs. The Forces of Evil.

"Amphibia and The Owl House are both set in wildly imaginative worlds and share hallmarks of great Disney storytelling, including fantastical elements and memorable characters,” said Eric Coleman, senior VP, original programming and general manager, Disney Television Animation. “Matt and Dana each bring a unique sensibility to their shows unlike anything else on TV right now."

A comedy, Amphibia chronicles the adventures of 13-year-old Anne, who is magically transported to the fictitious world of Amphibia, a marshland full of frog-people.

The Owl House is a horror-comedy series that follows Luz, a self-assured teenage who stumbles upon a portal to the Demon Realm, where she befriends a rebellious witch and a tiny warrior.

Braly’s credits include Gravity Falls. Terrace too worked on Gravity Falls, and DuckTales.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/new...l-house/171998
post #21801 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

TV Review (Streaming)
Ugly Delicious Is Satisfying TV That Will Make You So Damn Hungry
By Jen Cheney, Vulture.com - Feb. 21, 2018

David Chang, the Korean-American rebel chef and ruler of the Momofuku empire, is a foodie with little patience for the pretentiousness that often come with that title.

“I’m one of the biggest snobs you’ve ever met,” he explains to the camera in the new Netflix series Ugly Delicious, streaming starting today. “But I hate elitism and snobs in general.”

“I guess what I hate,” he adds, “is being told I can’t like something.”

Ugly Delicious is defined by that attitude — “Don’t tell me what I can’t eat!” — as well as a sense of curiosity about how food not only gets made, but why we respond to it the way that we do. As executive produced by, among others, Chang, filmmaker Morgan Neville (20 Feet From Stardom), and food writer Peter Meehan, the eight episodes of this series each zero in on a different type of cuisine — pizza, tacos, barbecue, things that are stuffed — and attempt to open our minds with regard to the way we categorize them.

When we talk about barbecue, for example, why don’t we talk about vegetables, or consider the possibility that korean barbecue could be cooked in a backyard on a traditional American grill? (“Barbecue, to me, just represents cooking something in embers, flaming, with smoke,” says chef René Redzepi of Copenhagen’s renowned Noma restaurant, who makes barbecue out of delicate veggies.) Even though chicken gets fried all over the globe, why is fried chicken still so intertwined with demeaning racial stereotypes about African-Americans, and how do African-American chefs reckon with that? That same fried-chicken episode also dares to ask less loaded questions, too, such as: “Do you know the origin of the nugget?” (“I feel like nuggets are, like, a factory of regret,” Meehan concludes at one point.)

In addition to thoughtfully raising cultural issues both light and serious, Ugly Delicious also takes a highly egalitarian approach to cuisine. That sensibility will remind some viewers of Lucky Peach, the now-defunct magazine that Chang co-founded with Meehan and writer Chris Ying before creative differences ended its run last year. Even the fonts and the animated graphics peppered throughout the episodes look as if they’ve leapt off the pages of that revered quarterly.

This is a show that captures the singular beauty of watching Mexican women pound out tortillas by hand, but also does not hesitate to roll through the Taco Bell drive-through and order a Crunchwrap Supreme. Chang acknowledges that a pie made lovingly at a nice Brooklyn pizzeria like Lucali is better than one you’ll order from Domino’s. But he also acknowledges that Domino’s tastes pretty good, too. (The Momofuku mogul even spends some time at a Domino’s franchise and shadows a delivery guy to better understand how they crank out so much pizza to so many customers so quickly.)

In short, this is a show that’s as much for foodies as it for people who gag on their Big Macs every time they hear the word foodie. Which is refreshing. And also: oh my God, so appetizing.

I cannot stress this enough: If you are going to sit down and watch one or more episodes of Ugly Delicious, for the love of God, bring snacks. This thing needs to be binged on two levels, people. If you’re really on the ball, you’ll set yourself up with munchies that correspond to the episodes you intend to watch: a nice Neapolitan pizza for the pizza episode or some soup dumplings for the stuffed episode. The episodes are laid out in a specific order, but you can hopscotch through them based on your interests or what’s in your fridge, which — again, can’t stress this enough — is a perfectly valid road map to apply to this experience.

A lot of TV shows with a celebrity chef behind them are implicitly ego-driven enterprises designed to build those chef’s brands. Chang is definitely front and center in Ugly Delicious, chowing down, steering the conversation, and breaking bread with some pretty famous friends. (Aziz Ansari, Jimmy Kimmel, Steven Yeun, Ali Wong, David Simon, Gillian Jacobs, and Nick Kroll all make cameo appearances, along with an array of well-known chefs and food writers.) But the show never feels like it’s all about Chang. In fact, Momofuku barely comes up in conversation.

Ugly Delicious is instead driven by Chang’s interest, as well as the interests of other experts, like Meehan, in not just digging into the portions that are placed in front of them, but really digging into why certain types of food feel so personal and culturally specific even while they’re being appropriated and modified to serve consumers always chasing the next trend. Ugly Delicious is informative, entertaining, and enriching, and I can’t recommend it more highly. After watching it, I also couldn’t get my hands on a taco fast enough.

http://www.vulture.com/2018/02/ugly-...us-review.html
Nayan likes this.
post #21802 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Feb. 24, 2018

2018 WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES
Various Networks, 2:40 a.m. ET

I wrote about this in yesterday’s Best Bets, to give you guys fair warning – but if you watched or recorded today’s early-morning coverage on NBCSN of the gold model game in men’s curling, good for you. And good for me, because any abuse that’s come my way about loving and supporting Olympics curling is now drowned out by my last laugh. The USA men’s curling team just won gold, ladies and gentlemen. Gold. Prior to this morning’s victory, the highest our country ever had ranked, in men’s curling, was a bronze medal, in 2006. Today, skip John Shuster and the USA squad earned gold, against world-champ team Sweden. So for me, today’s cable highlight at the Olympics already has happened.

2018 WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES
NBC, 3:00 p.m. ET

The figure skating gala, the four-men bobsled gold medal final runs, and the men’s hockey gold medal game are the events scheduled to be covered live tonight on NBC, in the prime-time block beginning at 8 p.m. ET.

NOTES FROM THE FIELD
HBO, 8:00 p.m. ET
SPECIAL PREMIERE:
This is a filmed version of Anna Deavere Smith’s one-man play about what she calls the school-to-prison pipeline, which she also wrote. I probably should write “one-woman” play, to be gender-specific – but since among the many characters she portrays here, several are men, I’m letting it slide. But Smith, like Hal Holbrook in his one-man portrayals of Mark Twain in Mark Twain Tonight!, is equally impressive in terms of performance and research. In Smith’s case, she interviewed more than 200 people when gathering facts, stories, and even characters for Notes from the Field.

CAT BALLOU
TCM, 8:00 p.m. ET

TCM is saluting Best Actor Winners tonight in its ongoing “31 Days of Oscar” TV fest, and the fun leads off with 1965’s Cat Ballou, for which Lee Marvin won the Best Actor Academy Award that year. Never mind that his performance, as a drunken former gunslinger, actually was a supporting rather than leading role – it was so good, he deserved to win. And this, to me, is the movie where Jane Fonda really proved she was a carry-the-film movie star in her own right – three years before she proved it, a different way, with Barbarella. But with Cat Ballou, it’s a very clever story, some wonderful music, and one of the lightest and best comic Westerns of that decade, until Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid came along.

PLANET EARTH: BLUE PLANET II
BBC America, 9:00 p.m. ET

Tonight’s penultimate installment of Blue Planet II is “Coasts,” and it’s devoted to the places where the sea meets the land. And, as always, the photography is nothing less than stunning. To hear or read my new review on NPR’s Fresh Air with Terry Gross, visit the Fresh Air website.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

TV Review (Broadcast)
'Seven Seconds' from Netflix on How Life Can Change in an Instant
By David Hinckley, TVWorthWatching.com's 'All Along the Watchtower' - Feb. 23, 2018

The new Netflix crime anthology Seven Seconds, which becomes available Friday, echoes a number of similar series in recent years and proves there’s always room for another good one.

Created by Veena Sud, who is best known for The Killing, Seven Seconds dives into the tangled grey areas of a complex crime case while starkly illustrating how one impulsive bad decision can topple dozens of cruel and even lethal dominoes.

Peter Jablonski (Beau Knapp) is a Jersey City cop who’s worried about his pregnant wife. When we meet him, he’s driving his SUV down an icy road in a park near the Statue of Liberty, making anxious phone calls.

He spins out. When he stops he’s okay, but when he gets out to look over his car, he sees the wheels of a bicycle sticking out from underneath. The spin may have taken only seven seconds, but Pete instantly understands that the consequences will be far more enduring.

He glances around at the snowy ground and sees no sign of a rider. Dazed and confused, he calls his cop buddy Mike Diangelo (David Lyons), who shows up with two other pals.

They see someone lying in a snowbank on the side of the road. There’s no sign of motion. Mike tells Pete to leave. There were no witnesses and there’s nothing he can do for the kid, Mike assures him. Pete should go to his wife, act like nothing happened. Mike will take care of the rest.

Except, of course, it’s not that simple. Hours later a dog being taken for a walk finds the body in the snowbank, except it turns out the body, one Brenton Butler, isn’t at this point dead. He’s just been lying in freezing cold with grievous injuries for several hours.

This heartbreaking fact isn’t lost on his parents, Latrice and Isaiah Butler (Regina King and Russell Hornsby). When they visit him in the hospital, we don’t even see Brenton. All we see is their reactions. It’s a bold and powerful scene.

So Latrice and Isaiah want some answers, as does Brenton’s uncle Seth (Zackary Momoh) who just returned from serving in Afghanistan.

Meanwhile, the case has been assigned to prosecutor K.J. Harper (Clare-Hope A****ey), a smart woman who’s been driven to drink by the frustrations of her job. The number of cases she has to handle leave her mostly shuffling paperwork, she says, without even the pretense of seeking justice.

Her drinking isn’t lost on the detective who’s assigned to the case, a sort-of wiseguy named Joe “Fish” Rinaldi (Michael Mosley, left, with A****ey).

Mike hands them the case he wants them to prosecute, and the way the system works, ordinarily that would be enough to get it pushed right through. But with the parents hovering, a few inconvenient factoids popping up, and some of the protagonists feeling moral ambivalence, that doesn’t immediately happen.

Instead these complications will slowly roll out, and often compound each other, over 10 episodes. It’s not a spoiler to say that the white cop / black victim dynamic pops quickly to the forefront.

In keeping with the pattern of TV crime anthologies, most of the characters become multi-dimensional. While some are better people than others, everyone has flaws.

Seven Seconds bears more than passing resemblance to American Crime, an ABC series that also starred King and had a couple of terrific seasons. Seven Seconds has its own voice, however, and perhaps on Netflix it won’t have to look over its shoulder at the ratings quite so often.

While the flashpoint here may last only seven seconds, it sparks enough drama to deliver a solid 10-hour binge.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=15855

Last edited by dad1153; 02-24-2018 at 07:29 AM.
post #21803 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
USA Today spells her name out in full, and you can't get more mainstream media than that. No, it's just laziness on VerticalScope's part.
This is the same company that failed to address a massive security flaw in the forum software, then made it our problem to come up with a complex password that, unless proper security is put in place, will be just as easily stolen, regardless of complexity.
Keenan likes this.
post #21804 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
SATURDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)
From Zap2it.com's TV Grid - Feb. 24, 2018

ABC:
8PM - NBA Countdown (LIVE)
8:30PM - NBA Basketball: Oklahoma City Thunder at Golden State Warriors (LIVE)

CBS:
8PM - Big Brother: Celebrity Edition
9PM - 48 Hours: The Family (120 min.)
(R)

NBC:
8PM - 2018 Winter Olympics: Speed Skating (3 hrs., LIVE)
11:30PM - 2018 Winter Olympics: Men's Cross-Country Skiing (60 min.)

FOX:
8PM - UFC Fight Night: Emmett vs. Stephens (120 min., LIVE)
11PM - Love Connection
(R)

PBS:
8PM - Austin City Limits: Ms. Lauryn Hill
(R)

UNIVISION:
7:55PM - Fútbol Mexicano Primera División: Tigres UANL vs. CF Monarcas Morelia (LIVE)
9:55PM - Fútbol Mexicano Primera División: América vs. Tijuana (LIVE)

TELEMUNDO:
7PM - Movie: Non-Stop (2014)
9PM - Movie: Taken 2 (2012)

NBCSN:
7PM - 2018 Winter Olympics: Women's Curling: Sweden vs. South Korea (LIVE)
10:30PM - 2018 Winter Olympics, Men's Hockey: OAR vs. Germany (LIVE)

GALAVISION:
8PM - Fútbol Mexicano Primera División: Pachuca vs. Club León (LIVE)

HBO:
8PM - Notes From the Field (2018, 90 min.)
9:30PM - Boxing: Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (2 hrs. 45 min., LIVE)

LIFETIME:
8PM - Movie: Framed by My Fiancé (2017)

NICKELODEON:
8PM - The Thundermans
8:30PM - Knight Squad

BBC AMERICA:
9PM - Planet Earth: Blue Planet II - Coasts (90 min.)

HALLMARK:
9PM - Movie: Royal Hearts (2018)

USA:
10PM - Falling Water

https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap
post #21805 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5882 Post(s)
Liked: 6452
Quote:

TV Notes (Cable)

By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - Feb. 23, 2018

Someone wake up Dan Patrick: Keith Olbermann is returning to ESPN next week.

Olbermann got his start in media co-hosting ESPN’s “SportsCenter” alongside Patrick, which the duo dubbed “The Big Show.” He then had a high-profile breakup with ESPN, only to eventually return and exit again.

Last week, the MSNBC alum was on ESPN’s “Golic and Wingo.” Olbermann has also recently voiced a few pieces for “SportsCenter"....
He was supposed to have aired one of those pieces yesterday on SC, which I was looking forward to seeing (I love Keith, almost as much as Dad), but it got pre-empted out by breaking news on the latest NCAA basketball scandal. Whenever these periodic rumors of him returning to ESPN surface I'm reminded of what one of his colleagues in Bristol said about him after he left: "Keith doesn't just burn his bridges, he napalms them."
dad1153, ti-triodes and Nayan like this.
post #21806 of 30499 Old 02-24-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
He was supposed to have aired one of those pieces yesterday on SC, which I was looking forward to seeing (I love Keith, almost as much as Dad), but it got pre-empted out by breaking news on the latest NCAA basketball scandal. Whenever these periodic rumors of him returning to ESPN surface I'm reminded of what one of his colleagues in Bristol said about him after he left: "Keith doesn't just burn his bridges, he napalms them."
Can you imagine the carnage if he and Mandy Patinkin worked together?
CHeath likes this.
post #21807 of 30499 Old 02-25-2018, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
Team USA Strikes 1st Curling Gold But Olympics Ratings Slide To 2018 Low
By Dominic Patten, Deadline.com - Feb. 24, 2018

After almost being eliminated earlier in the XXIII Winter Games, last night’s all-time first gold medal in curling for Team USA was a sweeter than usual win for skipper John Shuster and crew.

However, played past the midnight hour on NBC Sports Network, the victory, witnessed by a crowd-pleasing First Daughter Ivanka Trump and others from the US delegation there for Sunday’s Closing Ceremony, did nothing to help NBC primetime ratings bottom line. And bottom is the operative word today as Olympics fatigue has definitely set-in for the final stretch of the 2018 international competition for the Comcast-owned outlet.

For the last Friday of the often-struggling PyeongChang Games, NBC and NBCSN’s combined primetime coverage grabbed a 9.2/16 in metered market results.

That is an all-time low for an Olympics that is on track to be the lowest ever.

Down 11% in the early numbers from the previous ratings bottoming out of the 2018 Games on February 17, last night’s alpine skiing, snowboarding speed skating and bobsledding filled coverage is also down 2% from the last Friday of the Sochi Games in 2014. Unlike last night’s primetime, the coverage out of Russia on February 21, 2014 was tape-delayed and only on NBC itself. Like last night’s primetime, the final Friday of the XXII Winter Games proved to be a ratings low at the time too.

When the final viewership numbers were in, the final Friday of Sochi 2014 drew an audience of 14.9 million. To go a bit bigger picture, that was down from comparable nights of Vancouver 2010 and Torino 2006. Which, as we await final numbers for last night and based on the metered market results, paints a chilly portrait of the Winter Games out PyeongChang going for a new low.

Even with Team USA currently in fourth place overall in the XXIII Winter Games, there are a lot of double-digit drops once you drill into the numbers.

Peering Friday-to-Friday, last night took a fall of just over 29% in the early ratings from February 16, which itself was matched for a low at the time. Compared to February 22’s Russian dominated primetime skating drama, last night took a 23% crash. Put just NBC’s metered market ratings of last night’s primetime up against the results of the final Friday of the NBC-only broadcast Sochi 2014 and the outcome is a 10% drop from just over four years ago.

On the flipside of that and a testament to patriotism and insomnia, the 1.01 metered market ratings that NBCSN snagged from 1:30 – 3 AM ET this morning is the second best late night results in the cable net’s history. Only the ultimately victorious Team USA against Team Canada for the gold medal in Women’s Hockey match-up in the early hours of February 22 bested it.

We’ll update with more Olympics number and how Big Brother: Celebrity Edition did later. For now, here’s one last stat for you: last night’s NBC & NBCSN coverage peeking with a 10.2/18 during the men’s snowboarding in the 9:15-9:30 PM ET slot.

And there was this – nice: [CLICK LINK BELOW]

http://deadline.com/2018/02/curling-...bc-1202302121/

Last edited by dad1153; 02-25-2018 at 04:32 AM.
post #21808 of 30499 Old 02-25-2018, 04:32 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Legal Notes (Cable)
John Oliver and HBO beat defamation lawsuit from coal company boss
By Nick Romano, EW.com - Feb. 24, 2018

John Oliver has emerged from a defamation lawsuit unscathed.

Robert Murray, the CEO of America’s biggest privately owned coal company, as well as associated coal companies, sued Oliver and HBO in June over a Last Week Tonight segment. This week, the presiding Judge Jeffrey Cramer granted a dismissal.

“I find the arguments set forth in the Defendats’ Motion to Dismiss for Failure to State a Claim and Reply well-founded, appropriate in this matter and will grant the same,” Cramer wrote in a note to counsel, as posted online by The Hollywood Reporter. “The Court adopts, with little exception, Defendants’ argument in support of their Motion regarding all issues addressed in the same.”

In the initial segment (shown below; CLICK LINK), Oliver criticized Murray Energy for the safety and health practices of its employees. It also featured a talking squirrel that declared, “Eat s—, Bob.” Oliver’s team reached out to Murray for comment on the segment before it aired, to which he reportedly replied with a “cease and desist” letter with a threat to pursue legal action.

“I have to proceed with caution,” Oliver had said on Last Week Tonight. “I’m not going to say he looks like a geriatric Dr. Evil, even though he clearly does.”

The lawsuit filed on behalf of Murray claimed Oliver and HBO “executed a meticulously planned attempt to assassinate the character of and reputation of Mr. Robert E. Murray and his companies.”

HBO and Partially Important Productions submitted motions to dismiss the case after it was remanded to West Virginia court, according to THR. One of the motions argued that Murray’s complaint “disregards long-settled First Amendment and common law protections for the two types of speech challenged here: accurate reporting on government activity, and commentary and satire on matters of public concern.”

Judge Cramer agreed, and asked Oliver, HBO, and producers to prepare a proposed order within 20 days to be reviewed by the court.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/24/john-oli...oal-companies/
Dmon4u, archiguy, Keenan and 2 others like this.
post #21809 of 30499 Old 02-25-2018, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter

Obituary
‘Notting Hill’ actress Emma Chambers dead at 53
By Nicole Bitette, New York Daily News - Feb. 24, 2018

British actress Emma Chambers, who starred in the BBC series “The Vicar of Dibley” and “Notting Hill,” has died. She was 53.

Chambers died of natural causes on Wednesday evening, her agency confirmed to BBC.

“Emma created a wealth of characters and an immense body of work. She brought laughter and joy to many,” the agency said in a statement.

The actress was best known for portraying Alice Tinker on the BBC series “The Vicar of Dubley” from 1994 to 2007, for which she won a British Comedy Award for best TV actress in 1998.

She also had a role in the TV adaptation of Charles Dickens’ Martin Chuzzlewit.

In “Notting Hill,” the 1999 flick starring Julia Roberts, she played the role of younger sister to Hugh Grant’s character, William Thacker.

She is survived by her husband, actor Ian Dunn.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...icle-1.3839434
post #21810 of 30499 Old 02-25-2018, 04:45 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Business Notes (Cable)
‘Vida’ Showrunner Tanya Saracho Sets Overall Deal With Starz
By Cynthia Littleton, Variety.com - Feb. 23, 2018

Tanya Saracho, creator and showrunner of the upcoming Starz drama “Vida,” has set a three-year overall deal with the Lionsgate-owned pay cabler.

“Tanya Saracho’s unique voice brings a fresh and real perspective to Latinx programming,” said Carmi Zlotnik, Starz’s president of programming. “We’re thrilled to have an overall deal with this tenacious playwright-turned-TV writer/executive producer who doesn’t pull any punches when bringing these characters – who are not usually seen in mainstream media – to life.”

“Vida,” a half-hour series set to bow May 6, revolves around two very different Mexican-American sisters growing up in East Los Angeles. A native of Mexico, Saracho grew up along the Texas border and then moved to Chicago as a young adult. She gained notice as a playwright in Chicago, and has since produced plays in New York, Denver and via the Oregon Shakespeare Festival, among other venues. She founded the Teatro Luna theater company and is a co-founder of Alliance of Latino Theater Artists. At present she is developing legit projects with Southern California’s South Coast Repertory and New Jersey’s Two River Theatre.

“I was a playwright who was still learning the ropes when Starz took a chance on me to create and showrun ‘Vida,’ ” said Saracho. “They nurtured and supported me during every step of the strenuous process and that is a debt that cannot be repaid. They now open their doors and offer me a home – a fertile ground to grow and amplify my voice as I continue my mission of bringing Latinx and Queer characters to the screen and I am steeped in gratitude.”

Prior to creating “Vida,” Saracho worked as a writer and producer on such series as HBO’s “Girls” and “Looking,” ABC’s “How to Get Away With Murder,” and Lifetime’s “Devious Maids.” She’s repped by UTA and Mark Orsini at Bret Adams, Ltd.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/tany...al-1202709115/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page