Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 877 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 16428Likes

post #26281 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2389 Post(s)
Liked: 2786
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV/Production Notes (Broadcast)
Jekyll & Hyde-Themed Drama ‘The Strange Case Of the Alchemist’s Daughter’ In Works At the CW

This is the latest sale for former CBS Entertainment president Geller this season. He also has drama Body Cam Cop at CBS...

Investigation Discovery has an upcoming cop docu-series called Body Cam. That won't be confusing at all.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...series-1154599
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26282 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
TV Sports (Football)
Relocating Chiefs-Rams game from Mexico City to LA creates another big mess for NFL
By Jarrett Bell, USA Today - Nov. 14, 2018

What a mess, NFL.

And just think: It could have been way worse.

The quick decision by the league on Tuesday to bolt from Mexico City — scrapping the threat of a potential disaster — wasn’t really much of a choice.
I don't understand why the NFL waited until Tuesday to make this decision. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk and NBC Sports had an interesting column about this very thing. He had some interesting theories about it.
post #26283 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc_in_oh View Post
We're weigh ahead of you...

Ouch.

When news breaks...we fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #26284 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1534 Post(s)
Liked: 2706
AP is reporting that Roy Clark, 'Hee Haw' star, has died. I will update when I find an acceptable source to post.
dad1153 likes this.

I really ought to act more like a woman of my advancing years, but I’m growing old disgracefully.
post #26285 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 10:09 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2523 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post
AP is reporting that Roy Clark, 'Hee Haw' star, has died. I will update when I find an acceptable source to post.
Good luck with that, there will always be someone who'll find fault with the source. I'll just take your word for it. If he didn't die, he'll let us know.
dad1153 and Nayan like this.

Last edited by Aliens; 11-16-2018 at 04:30 AM.
post #26286 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 3441 Post(s)
Liked: 3218
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
Obituary
Roy Clark, 'Hee Haw' host, dies at 85
By Megan Thomas and Kevin Bohn, CNN.com - Nov. 15, 2018

Roy Clark, a country music star and former host of the long-running TV series "Hee Haw," died Thursday, his publicist told CNN.

He was 85.

Clark died of complications from pneumonia at his home in Tulsa, Oklahoma, according to publicist Sandy Brokaw.

Raised in Washington D.C., the guitarist and banjo player began his musical career as a young teen. He made his first appearance at the Grand Ole Opry at age 17.

Band gigs led to television appearances on "The Tonight Show" and "American Bandstand."

In 1969, Clark and Buck Owens were tapped to co-host "Hee Haw." The country music and comedy show aired in syndication for more than two decades, with Clark as host or co-host its entire run.

In a tribute to Clark sent by his representatives, they shared some quotes from the country star about his career.

"A TV camera goes right through your soul," Clark said of his screen work. "If you're a bad person, people pick that up. I'm a firm believer in smiles. I used to believe that everything had to be a belly laugh. But I've come to realize that a real sincere smile is mighty powerful."

With hits like "The Tips of My Fingers" and "Yesterday, When I Was Young," Clark was one of the first cross-over artists to land singles on both the country and pop charts.

In 1982, Clark won a Grammy for best country instrumental performance for "Alabama Jubilee." He was a member of the Country Music Hall of Fame and the Grand Ole Opry.

"Soon as you hit the edge of the stage and see people smiling and know they're there to hear you, it's time to have fun," Clark once said about performing. "I keep a band of great young people around me, and we're not musically restrained. It's not about 'let's do it correct' but 'let's do it right.'"

Clark ended each of his performances with a humorous note of appreciation: "We had to come, but you had a choice. Thanks for being here."

He is survived by extensive family and his wife of 61 years, Barbara.

A memorial celebration is planned in Tulsa in the coming days, according to Clark's representative.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/15/enter...ies/index.html
CHeath, Nayan and Plager8 like this.

Last edited by dad1153; 11-15-2018 at 10:59 AM.
post #26287 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
CBS, Empire and Chicago P.D. Dip as CMA Awards Dominate Night
By Matt Webb Mitovich, TVLine.com - Nov. 15, 2018

ABC’s presentation of the CMA Awards delivered 10 million total viewers and a 2.1 demo rating this Wednesday, down a good 30 percent from last year’s show (which took place in the wake of the mass shooting at a Las Vegas country-music concert) but also well shy of the 2016 telecast (which did 12.5 mil and a 2.9).

Opposite the CMA Awards…

CBS | Survivor (7.2 mil/1.4) slipped two tenths, while SEAL Team (5.2 mil/0.8) and Criminal Minds (4.5 mil/0.7) each ticked down.

FOX | Empire (4.9 mil/1.4) dipped a tenth while Star (3.7 mil/1.1) was steady.

NBC | Chicago Med (7.5 mil/1.2) and Fire (7.3 mil/1.3) each slipped 11 percent in audience while holding steady in the demo; P.D. (6 mil/1.0) was down 12 percent and a tenth.

THE CW | Riverdale (1.24 mil/0.4) and All American (663K/0.3) dropped a few eyeballs while steady in the demo.

https://tvline.com/2018/11/15/cma-awards-ratings-2018/
post #26288 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

TV Sports/Business Notes (Baseball)
Fox Signs New Long-Term Major League Baseball Deal
By Jon Lafayette, Broadcasting & Cable - Nov. 15, 2018

Fox, which will be focusing on sports after selling off its cable entertainment networks and TV and movie studios, has signed new long-term deal with Major League Baseball.

Fox and Fox Deportes will continue to have the rights to the World Series, one of the League Championship Series, two Division Series and the All-Star Game.

Fox Sports will also maintain its Saturday regular season broadcast windows. Beginning in 2022, Fox Broadcast Network will be increasing the number of games it airs.

Fox Sports will have expanded digital, streaming and social media rights to distribute the games.

“Since we began our historic partnership with Major League Baseball more than 20 years ago, MLB games on FOX have provided some of the most iconic moments in American sports,” said Lachlan Murdoch, executive chairman of 21st Century Fox and future CEO of the new Fox. “This significant multi-year agreement not only cements FOX’s role as Major League Baseball’s number one broadcast partner, it ensures that FOX will remain America’s leader in live sports well into the future.”

Financial terms were not disclosed.

“Fox Sports has been our national television partner for over 20 years and I could not be more pleased to announce the extension of our relationship through the 2028 season,” said Commissioner Manfred. “We value Fox Sports’ commitment to baseball and are excited to continue our partnership with this new agreement. Their innovative presentation of Major League Baseball through game telecasts and special programming across all their platforms has helped strengthen and elevate our sports’ popularity.”

Fox Sports has been a national MLB rights-holder since 1996 and the sport’s exclusive national broadcast partner since 2001. To date, Fox Sports has carried 21 World Series and 23 All-Star Games since its inaugural national rights deal with MLB.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...-baseball-deal
post #26289 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Cable)
Syfy Orders ‘Alien News Desk’ Series From ‘SNL’ Team In Original Animation Push
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Nov. 15, 2018

EXCLUSIVE: Syfy has given a 12-episode order to Alien News Desk, a weekly half-hour topical animated series starring Will Forte and Heidi Gardner. The show, which will debut in early 2019, marks Syfy’s first original late-night animated series.

Alien News Desk has a strong Saturday Night Live pedigree. In addition to current SNL cast member Gardner and former star Forte voicing the two leads, SNL boss Lorne Michaels executive produces alongside SNL producer Erik Kenward as well as SNL: Weekend Update head writer Dennis McNicholas, who serves as showrunner.

Alien News Desk is set in an extra-terrestrial newsroom that covers up-to-the-minute news and commentary about the universe’s most baffling species – the inscrutable Humans of Planet Earth. Hosted by animated is the universe’s real news – give or take a few intergalactic translation errors.

Forte will voice news anchor Drexx Drudlarr alongside co-anchor Tuva Van Void (Gardner) in Alien News Desk, described as a Weekend Update from the point of view of animated aliens.

Michaels’ Broadway Video is producing alongside animation studio Bento Box Entertainment (Bob’s Burgers) whose Joel Kuwahara and Scott Greenberg also executive produce. For Broadway Video, Andrew Singer exec produces and Katy Jenson co-executive produces. Additionally, Scott Gairdner, creator of the Comedy Central animated series Moonbeam City, which also starred Forte, is co-executive producer.

Alien News Desk is slated to air at 11 PM as a companion to Syfy’s acquired animated series Futurama. The network pursued aggressively the rights to Matt Groening’s futuristic comedy when they became available. The reruns have been a success, boosting Syfy’s late-night ratings by 13% in the adults 18-34 demographic and bringing new audiences, with 69% of its viewers new to the network (3Q18). That encouraged Syfy brass to use Futurama as a platform for launching a foray into original adult animation series.

“I think this is a real opportunity for Syfy to open up a new area of business for us, which is late-night original animation,” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment, who oversees USA Network and Syfy.

Heather Olander, SVP, Alternative Development & Production for USA & Syfy, tracked down Alien News Desk, which at one point had been in development at MTV, and brought it to Syfy where topicality is already part of the brand via Syfy Wire, which has grown into the #2 genre site.

“We loved it because it was a way for us to do topical animation and doing a take on what’s happening in real life from an alien point of view, which we think is a really fun way to do it,” McCumber said. “Politics, current events are covered ad nauseam. People do it way better than SyFy can but what we can do is bring a point of view that’s completely different, completely unique and something that’s not there in the marketplace right now.”

To accomplish that, Alien News Desk will have a relatively quick turnaround in the vein of South Park. While it won’t air the same week, it will be fast enough for the program to feel current referencing ongoing and recent events. While topical, the bulk of the show will have evergreen material so episodes could be rerun months later and not feel out of date.

As it prepares to launch Alien News Desk, its second original animated series ever, Syfy is already in development on others.

“We look at this as a late-night playground for us,” McCumber said. “In the world of genre animation, we want to open it up to experimental indie projects,” regardless of the length. “If there is a series of five-minute shorts that is really out there, really fun animation, we would figure out a way to get it on the air.”

Syfy’s animation push comes amidst an unprecedented boom of adult animation fare, with more than a dozen new series ordered over the past year across Fox, TBS, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, CBS All Access, Apple and DC Universe.

Adult Swim was a pioneer in putting edgy adult animation original series in late night as an alternative to off-network sitcoms and dramas that traditionally had occupied the time period on basic cable networks. The block, led by flagship series Rick and Morty, has enjoyed a tremendous ratings success in the young demographics, with other networks taking notice.

“If you look at the top 30 shows every day in cable, you see a lot of unscripted and a lot of animation. It’s mostly, at this point, one network and we think there’s an opportunity there. Why should Adult Swim have all the fun?,” McCumber said. ” My favorite show on TV right now is Rick and Morty. I think it’s brilliant, I think the writing is amazing. It’s a show that when I watch it, I’m exceedingly jealous of, I will say that. I think that to me it is the high bar as far as the type of animation that SyFy would want to do.”

Alien News Desk is part of Syfy’s brand evolution. Over the past couple of years, following the blockbuster success of The Magicians, the network scaled back on unscripted fare, instead making a major investment in premium scripted content with a focus on edgy, younger-skewing shows with offbeat, quirky, off-kilter sensibility, including adaptations of comic/graphic novels, breakout hit Happy!, the upcoming Deadly Class and the Resident Alien pilot.

Both The Magicians and Happy! bring new and younger viewers to Syfy, which also caters to its existing fanbases with series based on well known IP and auspices, like Krypton and Nightflyers.

“You’ve got big, high-end scripted swings — Magicians, Deadly Class, Nightfliers — that bring in a wonderful audience; it’s raised the CPMs for Syfy by 90%. We’re going to continue to do that and go all in,” McCumber said about the network’s content strategy. “At the same time, we look at Syfy Wire as being a content factory where we can take 50, 100 swings because it’s lower cost, lower risk and we might be able to develop a real franchise for the linear channel out of what we’re doing there.”

McCumber gave an example with The Great Debate, a panel franchise Syfy Wire does at the Comic-Con conventions where well-known genre experts debate different topics. “It’s become so popular at the Cons, we’re now developing that for SyFy itself,” he said. “We might also be discovering something on Syfy Wire in the animated world.”

Added McCumber, “We feel like that’s the heart of the brand: high-end scripted, topicality of Syfy Wire and the ability for the two to work together.”

https://deadline.com/2018/11/syfy-al...ls-1202500132/
post #26290 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Streaming)
Netflix Orders Sci-Fi Series 'The One' from 'Misfits' Creator
By Rick Porter, The Hollywood Reporter - Nov. 15, 2018

Netflix's hard push into science fiction and genre programming continues with the pickup of The One, a series from Misfits and Future Man creator Howard Overman.

The streaming giant has picked up 10 episodes of the show from Urban Myth Films and StudioCanal. The series is based on a novel by John Marrs.

The series is set "five minutes in the future" in a world where a DNA test can reveal a person's perfect partner — the one you're genetically predisposed to fall passionately in love with. But it also raises other questions: Who hasn't thought about whether there is someone better out there? What if a hair sample is all it takes to find them? The idea is simple, but the implications are explosive.

Overman is writing The One and will executive produce with Urban Myth's Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy. The trio are principals in Urban Myth and have previously collaborated on BBC America's Atlantis and the Channel 4/Netflix series Crazyhead.

The One is the latest genre series to land at Netflix. The company also has adaptations of graphic novels Locke & Key, October Faction and Daybreak, plus a Lost-esque series called The I-Land, starring Kate Bosworth, in the pipeline. Those will follow on the heels of recent breakouts The Haunting of Hill House and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...reator-1161524
post #26291 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

TV Sports/Business Notes (Boxing)
Fox Sports to Step Into Pay-Per-View Boxing Ring
By R. Thomas Umstead, Multichannel News - Nov. 14, 2018

After a slow 2018, the pay-per-view boxing category is expected to come out swinging in 2019.

Already two fights are positioned to vie for boxing fans’ dollars in the first quarter of next year, which would match the number of marquee fights distributed in all of 2018. Fox Sports will join the ranks of PPV distributors when it offers its first ever PPV event in March.

Fox and fight promoter Premier Boxing Champions will distribute the March 16 welterweight championship fight between current titleholder Errol Spence Jr. and four-division world champion Mikey Garcia, part of 10 televised fight cards to be carried by Fox Broadcasting and FS1 in the first three months of 2019. Fox and PBC announced the fights -- part of a recently signed, four-year agreement between the two companies -- during a Tuesday afternoon press conference.

Fox Sports’ PPV distribution of the Spence-Garcia PPV fight is significant for a category that will lose one of its most dependable partners in HBO Sports, which after a 45-year run will stop airing live boxing matches beginning in 2019. If successful, Fox’s first PPV boxing event could set up the possibility of future big ticket PPV events featuring some of the top fighters in the sport, including welterweights Keith Thurman, Danny Garcia and Shawn Porter; and middleweights Anthony Dirrell, Jermall and Jermell Charlo.

The Spence-Garcia fight is expected to be preceded in the PPV arena by a proposed, Showtime-distributed fight between current PPV boxing champion Manny Pacquiao and former four-time champion Adrien Broner. The fight would mark the return of Pacquiao -- the second-most lucrative PPV fighter in history behind retired boxer Floyd Mayweather – to the PPV ring in more than two years.

The fight would also mark Showtime’s second PPV bout in as many months, following its scheduled Dec. 1 Deontay Wilder-Tyson Fury heavyweight championship fight.

https://www.multichannel.com/blog/fo...ew-boxing-ring
post #26292 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Blumhouse TV Pacts With Amazon for Eight Feature-Length Thrillers
By Cynthia Littleton, Variety.com - Nov. 15, 2018

Jason Blum’s Blumhouse Television has cut a deal with Amazon Studios to produce eight feature-length thrillers to run worldwide on the streaming service.

Amazon said the projects will come from filmmakers of diverse backgrounds. Blumhouse scored a big hit last year with the success of theatrical release “Get Out,” which hailed from director Jordan Peele. The Amazon projects are envisioned as “elevated” thrillers or stories with dark themes.

“Jason Blum has built an empire based on fear, shock and all things spine-tingling,” Amazon Studios chief Jennifer Salke said in announcing the deal Wednesday. “He has redefined the horror genre for fans who are hungry for high concept scares. Whether it’s found footage, a socially conscious terror comedy or a pure sinister adrenaline ride, he reinvented and infused the genre with cultural relevancy.”

Amazon emphasized that the Blumhouse deal marks its first broad pact for feature-length productions that will be exclusive to the Amazon streaming platform worldwide. Blumhouse is just coming off another horror success story at the box office with its reboot of the “Halloween” franchise.

“We are delighted Amazon is entrusting Blumhouse to deliver its signature thrills and chills to its global audience through this deal,” said Blum. “This is a great opportunity for Blumhouse Television to empower underrepresented filmmakers offering a fresh take on the dark genres loved by fans the world over.”

Amazon has been on a tear in recruiting talent with exclusive development pacts. Peele set a wide-ranging deal with Amazon recently, as did “Handmaid’s Tale” director Reed Morano and Nicole Kidman’s Blossom Films.

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/jas...rs-1203028789/
post #26293 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Technology Notes
AT&T is inviting DirecTV Now users to test its upcoming streaming box
By Micah Singleton, TheVerge.com - Nov. 15, 2018

AT&T is inviting DirecTV Now users to sign up for a chance to test its upcoming streaming set-top box. The company sent an email to select DirecTV Now subscribers this morning, asking them to sign up to test the device for “about six months.” AT&T Communications CEO John Donovan announced that the device was in beta last month and said the company was planning to begin trials in early 2019.

According to AT&T, the device will automatically launch DirecTV Now when turned on, users will be able to download content from the Google Play Store, and it will come with Google Assistant support so users can control the device with their voice. According to leaked FCC filings reported by Variety last year, the device will run Android TV, support third-party streaming services, and come with a voice search remote.

With AT&T’s streaming box about to hit the public (albeit, in a limited fashion), we should get more details about the device in the near future.

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...-streaming-box
post #26294 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

TV Sports (Golf)
Tiger Woods vs Phil Mickelson: Commentators Named for Black Friday Golf Match
By Tim Baysinger, TheWrap.com - Nov. 15, 2018

If its a sporting event aired on a Turner-affiliated platform, Ernie Johnson is there.

Turner-owned WarnerMedia has set the match and pre-game announce team for the one-on-one golf showdown between Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson that will take place on Black Friday, Nov. 23.

Johnson, who is best known for hosting TNT’s NBA studio coverage, will serve as the play-by-play announcer alongside pro golfer Darren Clarke and Golf Channel’s Peter Jacobsen. Fox Sports golf reporter Shane Bacon and former LPGA golfer Natalie Gulbis will serve as reporters.

For the one-hour pregame show, however, Jackson will join TNT’s popular NBA studio analyst, and amateur golfer, Charles Barkley. Bleacher Report’s Adam Lefkoe will host with three-time PGA Tour winner Pat Perez joining as well. The pre-game team will also be featured within the match coverage.

The highly-anticipated showdown, where the winner will take home $9 million in prize money, will cost viewers $19.99 on pay-per-view.

The match, dubbed “Capital One’s The Match: Tiger vs. Phil,” will be held at MGM Resorts International’s Shadow Creek in Las Vegas and will be distributed by WarnerMedia and produced by Turner Sports. The AT&T-owned company will distribute the match through Turner’s B/R Live, DirecTV and AT&T U-verse, as well as on other cable, satellite and telco operators in the U.S. and Canada.

As part of the live event, Woods and Mickelson will selectively make side-challenges against one another during the match. For instance, Woods or Mickelson could raise the stakes by challenging the other to a long-drive, closest-to-the-pin or similar competition during a hole as they play their match, with money being donated to the winning golfer’s charity of choice.

While both are past the prime of the careers, the championship golfers have won a combined 19 majors, and 42-year-old Woods has seen a huge resurgence in both his performance and his popularity in 2018.

The media rights agreement with Turner was completed in partnership between CAA Sports, Excel Sports Management and Lagardère Sports. Broadcast talent will be announced in the coming weeks.

https://www.thewrap.com/tiger-woods-...ay-golf-match/
post #26295 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

TV Sports
College Football Friday Schedule
By lsufootball.net Staff

FRIDAY, NOV. 16:

TEAMS : / TIME (Central Time): / NETWORK(S):

--Boise State at New Mexico
/ 8:00 pm / CBSSN, CBSSN Video
--Memphis at SMU / 8:00 pm / ESPN2, WatchESPN Video
--Eastern Washington at Portland State / 9:00 pm / Video: Pluto/Big Sky
post #26296 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Broadcast)
Joel Silver Sells 2 Crime Dramas To CBS
By Nellie Andreeva, Deadline.com - Nov. 15, 2018

Joel Silver and his Silver Pictures Television have sold two drama projects to CBS — False Memories, written by Steve Maeda (Salvation), and Crooked Brooklyn, written by Adair Cole (Norco). Both hail from Lionsgate Television where Silver Pictures Television has a first-look deal.

False Memories is co-produced by Condé Nast Entertainment as it is inspired by Emmy Bryce’s article “False Memories and False Confessions: The Psychology of Imagined Crimes,” published by Wired UK in July 2017. Crooked Brooklyn is inspired by Michael Vecchione and Jerry Schmetterer’s 2015 bestselling book Crooked Brooklyn: Taking Down Corrupt Judges, Dirty Politicians, Killers and Body Snatchers.

Silver executive produces both projects alongside his producing partner and Silver Pictures president Rodney Ferrell.

Written/executive produced by Maeda, who will serve as showrunner, False Memories centers on a forensic psychologist who uses her expertise in the malleability of human memory to investigate crime scenes and analyze the memories of victims and witnesses in her quest for justice.

Jonathan Koa executive produces via Condé Nast Entertainment.

In Crooked Brooklyn, written by Cole, with an unparalleled drive to ferret out corruption and find justice, the DAs of the Brooklyn Rackets Division are given badges and guns and tasked with both investigating crime on the streets and prosecuting those crimes in the courtroom. Nick Nantell co-exec produces.

Silver’s previous TV series include the original UPN/CW drama Veronica Mars, CBS’ Moonlight and the syndicated Tales From the Crypt. In features, he most recently produced crime thriller SuperFly.

Veteran Maeda recently worked on CBS’ drama series Salvation, ABC’s Conviction and Syfy’s Helix. He’s repped by UTA and attorney David Colden.

Cole penned the screenplay for feature Norco which is being financed and produced by MadRiver Pictures. He’s repped by UTA, Ziffren Brittenham and MXN Entertainment.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/joel-si...bs-1202502538/
post #26297 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
Disney Channel Orders Fourth Season of ‘Bunk’d’
By Michael Malone, Broadcasting & Cable - Nov. 15, 2018

Disney Channel has ordered a fourth season of comedy series Bunk’d. Production will begin on the new season in March. Phil Baker and Erin Dunlap will executive produce.

Miranda May, Mallory James Mahoney, Raphael Alejandro and Will Buie Jr. are in the cast of Bunk’d.

“On the heels of a successful third season, we’ve decided that there is more fun to be had at Camp Kikiwaka!” said Kory Lunsford, VP, current series, Disney Channels Worldwide. “We are excited to gear up for another season with the campers from Woodchuck, Grizzly and Weasel cabins as they embark on hilarious new adventures, reunite with beloved characters and meet new ones.”

Pamela Eells O’Connell created the series, a spinoff of Jessie. Peyton List, Skai Jackson and Karan Brar starred in both series.

Bunk’d is from It’s a Laugh Productions.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...eason-of-bunkd
post #26298 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Nov. 15, 2018

PAM GRIER SALUTE
MGM HD, 6:00 p.m. ET

If you have MGM HD on your cable or satellite system, today’s a good time to find it. Starting at 6 p.m. ET, the station is presenting a triple feature of Pam Grier movies: 1975’s Sheba, Baby, followed by 1973’s Coffy and the much more recent 1997 homage film, Jackie Brown.

THE BIG BANG THEORY
CBS, 8:00 p.m. ET

As always, this show’s writers find ways to get characters to react in different and new combinations of pairings. In tonight’s new episode, for example, Bernadette spends time with Stuart’s girlfriend, Denise, to get secret tips on how to beat Howard at one of his favorite video games.

THE GOOD PLACE
NBC, 8:30 p.m. ET

I still miss Michael McKean on Better Call Saul – so I’m extremely happy to report that McKean is back in view tonight, as a guest star on The Good Place. That automatically makes it an even better place, so make sure to tune in.

MURPHY BROWN
CBS, 9:30 p.m. ET

Tonight’s new episode is titled “The Coma and the Oxford Comma.” I note it with particular glee, because my children once ridiculed me for drilling them at dinner about “the penultimate comma,” until one of them encountered it (and understood it) during an opening-day lecture at law school. So there are reasons, after all, to be grateful for parents’ advice, information, and bad jokes. (Can you find the Oxford comma in that previous sentence?)

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/
post #26299 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 02:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post
I don't understand why the NFL waited until Tuesday to make this decision. Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk and NBC Sports had an interesting column about this very thing. He had some interesting theories about it.
Didnt read article yet but i will take 3 guesses
1) $$
2) $$
3) $$

Quote:
TV Sports/Business Notes (Baseball)
Fox Signs New Long-Term Major League Baseball Deal
By Jon Lafayette, Broadcasting & Cable - Nov. 15, 2018]
Now $729 million per yr - had been $525 million per yr - nice bump.
Thats where $$ now in live tv is - SPORTS - YAY SPORTS !!

================================================== =============================

Side note:

If you have a siriusxm enabled radio theres a FREE preview now thru nov 26 - these are the channels:

http://www.xmfan.com/files/preview_423.gif

Last edited by dcowboy7; 11-15-2018 at 03:27 PM.
post #26300 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 03:25 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 5012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Now $729 million per yr - had been $525 million per yr - nice bump.
Thats where $$ now in live tv is - SPORTS - YAY SPORTS !!
Something to remember when Comcast, et al, hikes rates, again, in an attempt to pass along the retrans fees the O&Os and FS1 are undoubtedly going to get to help cover this.
rcman2, CHeath, dad1153 and 1 others like this.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #26301 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 7008 Post(s)
Liked: 7995
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Something to remember when Comcast, et al, hikes rates, again, in an attempt to pass along the retrans fees the O&Os and FS1 are undoubtedly going to get to help cover this.
Yep. We've all been paying through the nose for the stratospheric increases in sports rights fees whether we watch sports or not. Isn't ESPN's subscriber fee the largest - by far - of any cable channel? And the Big 4 have to pass those enormous costs along as well.
post #26302 of 36817 Old 11-15-2018, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1435 Post(s)
Liked: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yep. We've all been paying through the nose [...]
Excuse me, but do not include me in that "all" statement. I pay $0 to cable/DBS.
CHeath, dad1153 and RickD1225 like this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
My Nov 2019 Northern Ireland Game of Thrones Tour
post #26303 of 36817 Old 11-16-2018, 05:15 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 2555 Post(s)
Liked: 5012
And people cheer when athletes notch record-high salaries, never thinking that - one way or another - it's coming out of everyone's (except @mrvideo 's ) pocket.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #26304 of 36817 Old 11-16-2018, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Netflix Orders Animated (?!) WWII Drama The Liberator to Series
By Rebecca Iannucci, TVLine.com - Nov. 15, 2018

Netflix is drawing inspiration from world history for its next project: The streamer has handed a series order to The Liberator, an animated drama series based on events from World War II.

Per the official description, The Liberator will tell “the riveting true story of the bloodiest and most dramatic march to victory of the Second World War: the battlefield odyssey of maverick U.S. Army officer Felix Sparks and his infantry unit as they fought for over 500 days to liberate Europe.”

The four-part combat drama will center on Sparks and the 157th Infantry Regiment from Oklahoma, which was a National Guard unit comprised primarily of cowboys, Native Americans and Mexican-Americans.

The series is based on Alex Kershaw’s 2013 book The Liberator: One World War II Soldier’s 500-Day Odyssey from the Beaches of Sicily to the Gates of Dachau. Series creator Jeb Stuart (Die Hard, The Fugitive) will also write and executive-produce the drama, while Kershaw will serve as a co-producer.

The Liberator‘s pick-up at Netflix comes shortly after the streaming service cancelled its Tony Danza-Josh Groban procedural The Good Cop after just one season.

https://tvline.com/2018/11/15/netfli...the-liberator/
post #26305 of 36817 Old 11-16-2018, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Business Notes
Facebook vs. Apple feud: Social networking site calls out Tim Cook by name
By Dalvin Brown, USA Today - Nov. 15, 2018

There's been drama bubbling beneath the surface between Facebook and Apple for quite some time. The latest bit of evidence comes straight from Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, who called out Apple CEO Tim Cook by name in an official statement Thursday.

In a lengthy blog post, Facebook said that "Tim Cook has constantly criticized our business model and Mark has been equally clear he disagrees."

"We've long encouraged our employees and executives to use Android because it is the most popular operating system in the world," Facebook said.

The dig was issued in response to a New York Times report about how Facebook has responded to a string of privacy scandals. One of the claims that struck a cord said that Facebook was slow to respond to Russian bots on the platform. The Times' story contained "a number of inaccuracies," according to Facebook.

In April, in an interview with Recode, Apple's CEO said he would never allow people's data to be stolen the way Facebook has in recent years.

"The truth is we could make a ton of money if we monetized our customer. If our customer was our product, we could make a ton of money," Cook said. "We've elected not to do that. You are not our product."

Zuckerberg responded in an interview with Vox saying, "I find that argument, that if you're not paying that somehow we can't care about you, to be extremely glib and not at all aligned with the truth."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...es/2016907002/
post #26306 of 36817 Old 11-16-2018, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Streaming)
Veronica Mars Revival: Everything We Know So Far
By Kaitlin Thomas, TVGuide.com - Nov. 15, 2018

After three seasons, a crowd-funded feature film, and two novels, Veronica Mars is returning to Neptune for a new limited series on Hulu. The neo-noir series starring Kristen Bell became a fan favorite during its initial run on UPN and The CW before helping to usher in the revival and reboot trend way back in 2013, when Bell and creator Rob Thomas launched a Kickstarter to fund a follow-up movie. It only makes sense then that the series would want to get in on the revival action again before the wave eventually (hopefully) ends.

Of course, the times have changed quite a bit in the five years since fans ponied up the cash for the chance to return to Neptune; now every show that might have once made someone feel something in their heart region is being considered as a possible reboot or revival. But Veronica Mars is the only series that has the narrative depth and the continued interest of fans to be able to pull off a revival twice.

"People are wondering what Veronica Mars is doing right now," Kristen Bell told SiriusXM's EW Radio when asked about the new series. "There's never been a lapse in the fanbase. When I allude to anything Veronica Mars online, people lose their marbles. And it's so wonderful and cute to know that it means something to people still."

It definitely means something to a lot of people still. So we've gathered up everything fans might need or want to know about the latest chapter in Veronica's story below. Be sure to check back often as we'll be updating this story whenever new information is announced.

It's coming in 2019. We don't really know when in 2019 Bell's titular sleuth will return, but at some point in those 12 months, it will definitely, for sure happen. Our best guess is probably summer, since that's when the first three seasons, as well as the 2014 feature film, will be available to stream exclusively on Hulu.

The old gang is getting back together. In addition to Bell, Jason Dohring, who plays Veronica's very much on-again boyfriend Logan Echolls — at least we hope they're still on after rekindling their relationship in the feature film — is set to return as everyone's favorite former bad boy/current navy pilot. It should come as no surprise that Enrico Colantoni is also back as Veronica's father Keith, because there is no Veronica Mars without Keith.

Also confirmed to be returning are Percy Daggs III as Veronica's best friend Wallace Fennel, Francis Capra as everyone's favorite biker with a soft side Eli "Weevil" Navarro, Max Greenfield as Veronica's former boyfriend and current detective Leo D'Amato, and Daran Norris as the lawyer with a voice for radio Cliff McCormack. Ryan Hansen, who plays fan favorite character Dick Casablancas, will also be back, as will David Starzyk, who plays Dick's father Richard.

Unfortunately, there's no word yet about Tina Majorino, who plays Mac, but we're keeping our fingers crossed.

It is an eight-episode limited series. Limited series are all the rage now, especially since the word limited apparently has no meaning! You can call something a limited series but then later change your mind and then everyone else just has to accept it! So will this be the last time we revisit Veronica Mars? Maybe! Who knows?! Not us! Bell said she was up for playing Veronica "as long as we feel there's a hunger for Veronica Mars, and the world still needs to see her fight the good fight, and it still feels topical."

People are being murdered! It's probably not people we care about though. According to the logline released by Hulu, it's mostly spring breakers who are pushing up daisies in Neptune these days. Unfortunately, their deaths are kind of wreaking havoc on the town's tourism industry, which is sort of understandable, we suppose. No one wants to go to go the beach if dead bodies are washing up on shore! (To be clear, we don't know where the bodies are located.) The parents of one of the victims eventually hires Mars Investigations to look into their son's death, which means Veronica is drawn into what Hulu describes as an "epic mystery" that "pits the enclave's wealthy elites, who would rather put an end to the month-long bacchanalia, against a working class that relies on the cash influx that comes with being the West Coast's answer to Daytona Beach." So everything we already know and love about Veronica Mars? Great!

It takes place five years after the movie. Thomas revealed on Twitter that the new episodes take place five years after the movie. He also said that although the Veronica Mars novel The Thousand-Dollar Tan Line is also set against the backdrop of spring break, that's not the story the limited series is telling.

The books are obviously canon. If you still haven't read the two novels that came out after the film, you should 1) figure out your life, and 2) probably get on that. According to Thomas, the "books are 98% canon," and says that Pony, the puppy Logan and Veronica adopted, is included. Meanwhile, Marcia Langdon, who ran against Sheriff Dan Lamb, is now the police chief and will be played by iZombie's Dawnn Lewis. He also revealed that Neptune finally incorporated, which is something we know everyone was really wondering about.

There are tons of new faces joining the cast. In addition to the returns of all our favorites, the revival will also welcome several new cast members, including Patton Oswalt. The comedian will play Penn Epner, a hapless pizza delivery guy with a passion for true crime. Academy Award winner J.K. Simmons will appear as Clyde Prickett, an ex-con who served time for racketeering and protected Big Dick Casablancas (Starzyk) in prison. He's now working as his fixer. Elsewhere, Killing Eve's and The Good Place's Kirby Howell-Baptiste will recur as Nicole, who owns the Neptune nightclub Veronica believes the killer is selecting his victims at, and Izabela Vidovic (Wonder) will play Matty Ross, a teenage girl who makes it her mission to get justice after the person she loves most is killed. And if this last bit sounds slightly familiar, you're on to something. When Veronica sees the grieving Matty go on her quest for justice, she'll find herself reminded of her own past and the time she spent chasing down Lily's (Amanda Seyfried) killer.

In addition, Westworld's Clifton Collins Jr. will recur as Alonzo, a mid-level hitman for a Mexican cartel who is sent to Neptune to avenge the death of his boss' nephew. But when Alonzo falls for a local girl, he finds himself questioning his profession and his mission. We saw what happened when a PCHer fell for Paris Hilton, so we can't imagine this relationship will end well either, but we'll try to stay optimistic for now!

This isn't a nostalgia-fest. The Veronica Mars movie was made for the fans, which means it was very nostalgic and featured a whole slew of familiar faces. All of that was great, but according to Thomas, the new series is not any of that. It's returning to the show's roots a bit, and will be what he calls "hardcore So-Cal noir." In speaking with Entertainment Weekly, Bell echoed those sentiments but confirmed it wasn't going to be the same as the original series either. "It's going to be a darker world. It's going to be a bigger world," she said. "It's definitely not going to be what we did on UPN or The CW, so I want to brace fans for that. It's going to be darker and bigger and more cinematic and definitely a little bit different."

Familiar faces are working behind the scenes though. Thomas is obviously returning to executive-produce the series alongside Bell and fellow Veronica Mars alums Diane Ruggiero-Wright and Dan Etheridge. Thomas is also set to write the premiere.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a writer. This sounds like a joke, but it's not a joke. In addition to being one of the greatest basketball players of all time, he's also a prolific writer. And now he is on the writing staff of the Veronica Mars revival (he's also set to appear in the final season of iZombie too).

We're going to be really sad if Vinnie Van Lowe doesn't return. What? Don't even pretend you're not dying to know what Vinnie (Ken Marino) is doing now. Is he still living in a van? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

https://www.tvguide.com/news/veronic...thing-we-know/
post #26307 of 36817 Old 11-16-2018, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

TV Review (Cable)
My Brilliant Friend is an addictive saga of class, gender, crime, and Latin
By Darren Franich, EW.com - Nov. 15, 2018

I spent a happy month this year living in thrall to Elena Ferrante’s Neapolitan Novels, a four-part saga following two women across the back half of the 20th century. Ferrante addiction is a global pandemic, of course. Since the 2012 publication of the first volume, My Brilliant Friend, the series has sold an estimated kamillion copies in an estimated bazillion countries. Their sweep is epic, moving with mathematical precision from a particularly memorable school competition, through long days in a working class neighborhood, into great political upheavals and greater personal tragedies. In macro, the mind races for heavy comparisons: Woolf, Tolstoy, Eliot, the other Eliot. And Ferrante’s style is intimate, confessional, very funny. It has the unputdownable quality of one of those Twitter stories that used to go viral before Twitter was an all-consuming virus, a cheerful personal anecdote spiraling toward almost psychedelic rage.

Now My Brilliant Friend has been adapted into a series, with an eight-episode debut season rolling out on HBO starting Sunday, Nov. 18. (Further seasons would, theoretically, adapt the later books.) The six episodes I’ve seen are a graceful adaptation of Ferrante’s first volume, brought to life by a talented young cast of mostly unknown performers. Director Saverio Costanzo films this coming-of-age story with admirable fluency. The show can’t compete with the book for sheer hallucinatory artistry. But by the third episode, you’re successful invested in a large cast, multiple local families all blessed with what you could call a classically Catholic amount of children.

It’s a whole community brought to fearful life. More simply, this is the story of a woman remembering her youth. We meet elderly Elena (Elisabetta De Palo) in the present-ish day. Her childhood friend Lila has just disappeared. This absence sends her back through memories of postwar Naples. Here we meet young Elena (Elisa Del Genio), a quiet and thoughtful child. She falls under the spell of Lila (Ludovica Nasti), charismatically tough in a manner her society might describe as “willful.”

Costanzo films these performers on their level, letting us join these tiny beings staring upward at a strange society. There’s a dreamy quality to the first two episodes. Lila and Elena develop a fantastical understanding of the real terror lingering all around. One local powermonger looks, to the girls, like a monster out of fairy tales. Violence is a constant: husbands beating wives, fathers beating children, one man physically throwing another halfway across a street.

An earlier generation of showbiz would’ve turned My Brilliant Friend into a movie — or, possibly, redacted the Neapolitan epic into a decade-crushing feature. Working with a writing staff that includes the mysterious Ferrante herself, Costanzo adeptly paces this long story. There’s an early misadventure where Lila and Elena set out on a long walk toward a sea, a Tom-and-Huck tall tale that builds from leisure into eerie tension. Del Genio is quite a find, her searching eyes a near-perfect expression of Book Elena’s watchful narrative gaze. (The show’s narration itself is, unfortunately, the least successful element here, shortcutting epiphanies the performers are already expressing with subtlety.) And Nasti’s a T-shirt icon of precocious toughness. Her brazen confidence makes Lila invigorating, and a bit freaky. You want to be on her side.

The complex friendship between Elena and Lila is the titular heart of the series, but the focus expands as the series moves forward in time. Teenage Elena (now played by Margherita Mazzucco) and Lila (Gaia Girace) don’t believe in fairy-tale monsters, but that just means the horrors around them are more terribly real.

Consider the malicious Solara brothers (Elvis Esposito and Alessio Gallo), who patrol the neighborhood in their fancy car. There’s a scene in the third episode in which they drive up to the square and forcefully convince Ada (Ulrike Migliaresi) — a girl Lila and Elena’s age — to get into the car for “a spin.” It’s the visual subject of a thousand midcentury memories — the young dudes, the sweet car, the innocent girl, the ride. But Costanzo captures an essential quality of Ferrante’s fiction, a kind of weary anger, a feminist exhaustion with the cudgel of male nostalgia. Here, that sequence (with its direct implications of sexual assault) becomes a collective violation, adults looking on offering no help, the other girls aware it could’ve been them.

It’s all even more complicated than that, of course. The teen episodes of My Brilliant Friend tap the characters’ political awakening, learning about fascists, learning about communists, understanding what it means to be working-class. And then there are the everyday matters of being young: romance, school, ambitions to change the world. Lila seems to be a child prodigy, but her parents need her to work alongside her older brother, Rino (Gennaro De Stefano), in her father’s shoe store. Elena’s studies continue, and carry her in unexpected directions: The series maintains the book’s pinpoint fixation on her education, with Latin test scores as a key subplot.

Both roles are tricky. Girace shines as Lila. There’s a rawness to her performance that reminds me of the younger days of Toshiro Mifune, that daring willingness to play fierce confidence on the edge of parody. Mazzucco has to play a more internal, anxiously adolescent Elena. It took a few hours, but I grooved onto her energy. Her performance reminds you that most teen introverts spend their waking life simmering with rage at their own shyness. Teenage Elena, man, sono io.

Around the lead characters, we start to see a whole generation come of age. I mean it as a compliment when I say that My Brilliant Friend is the year’s best teen drama, drawing you into the lives, loves, and struggles of a group of children cusping on adulthood. A swooning dance sequence sparks a local love quadrangle. An island getaway becomes the stage for an endearingly nerdish flirtation — which gives way to an almost unbearable sequence of bedroom horror. A rooftop fireworks celebration sparkles with all the innocent possibilities of youth. Enemies become friends, maybe more, or maybe not. There’s a stretch when the main narrative engine is watching Lila juggle various suitors, the stuff of romcom subplots and internet fandoms. You watch with fascination — and with horror. My Brilliant Friend is very fun, but it’s also a vivid depiction of history as a nightmare from which two women are trying to awake.

GRADE: A-

https://ew.com/tv-reviews/2018/11/15...nd-hbo-review/
post #26308 of 36817 Old 11-16-2018, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - Nov. 16, 2018

THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS
Netflix, 3:00 a.m. ET
MOVIE PREMIERE:
This Coen Brothers movie, a made-for-Netflix Western, was envisioned as a six-part anthology series, then refashioned as a movie so that it could be (and, last Friday, was) released in theaters as a movie, thus qualifying for Oscars and other film awards. I don’t care how it got here – I just know that from the very first frame, The Ballad of Buster Scruggs charmed me silly. Tim Blake Nelson, who showed off his singing and comedy chops in the Coen Brothers’ masterful O Brother Where Art Thou?, has the title role of a warbling gunslinger – and from the moment he starts singing the Sons of the Pioneers' “Cool Clear Water” on horseback, I was all in for whatever came next. The cast is varied and talented, the stories playfully unpredictable, the cinematic imagination always, always in evidence. What a treat.

THE KOMINSKY METHOD
Netflix, 3:00 a.m. ET
SERIES PREMIERE:
Chuck Lorre, co-creator and overseer of CBS’s The Big Bang Theory, foregoes the studio audience and multi-camera approach to present this eight-episode comedy series about two very old friends – emphasis on the old. Michael Douglas, 74, is veteran Hollywood acting coach Sandy Kominsky, and Alan Arkin, 84, is his sarcastic and honest agent, Norman Newlander. They meet for lunch and drinks at Musso & Frank’s, where their waiter is even older, and get through life, where Sandy teaches an acting class (shades of Henry Winkler in HBO’s Barry) and Norman cares for his ailing wife, Eileen (Susan Sullivan). Co-stars include Lisa Edelstein from Fox’s House, M.D., Nancy Travis, and a cameo from Douglas’ old buddy Danny DeVito. Like The Big Bang Theory, Lorre’s The Kominsky Method is full of endearing characters – and is quite funny. And, sometimes, touching as well.

REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER
HBO, 10:00 p.m. ET
SEASON FINALE:
A few weeks after celebrating his 25th anniversary hosting a topical comedy talk show, Maher calls it quits – but only for the season. And this season finale, celebrating an increasingly blue wave in the midterm elections, includes such scheduled guests as Van Jones, Steve Schmidt and Garry Kasparov.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

TV Review (Streaming)
Michael Douglas, Alan Arkin Keep Their Zip in Netflix's 'The Kominsky Method'
By Ed Bark, TVWorthWatching.com's 'Uncle Barky's Bytes' - Nov. 16, 2018

Netflix has become a powerful streamer. Michael Douglas’ new character very much wants to be one again.

Symmetry is where you find it in The Kominsky Method, which devotes much of its third and fourth episodes to the joyless onslaught of frequent trickle-peeing courtesy of enlarged prostates. So yes, this eight-episode Netflix comedy from ace producer Chuck Lorre (The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men) draws its strength from the travails of two advanced agers. Douglas, 74, plays respected acting coach Sandy Kominsky and Alan Arkin, 84, is his longtime agent and best friend, Norman Newlander. They crackle together, with Arkin, in particular, taking grousing and griping to new levels. A major death in the family (we won’t say who or when) can do that to you, although Norman already had been in a league of his own.

Netflix made all eight Season 1 episodes available for review. They generally run closer to 30 minutes than 20 minutes each, but not always. Which makes bingeing the whole thing in one sitting a do-able proposition -- restroom trips included.

Douglas wears his hair long and his stubble proudly as mentor to a group of mostly young students, save for one. Lisa (Nancy Travis) is considerably closer in age and therefore both suitable and susceptible in terms of Sandy’s other interests. She’s recently divorced, and he has three exes. Where the series goes with their relationship is consistently refreshing and “adult” during what’s been quite a year for Travis’ under-appreciated talents. She’s also currently playing Tim Allen’s wife on Fox’s Last Man Standing and co-stars in the Audience network’s Mr. Mercedes series.

Kominsky Method is more a bromance, though, even with Norman’s savvy, salty wife, Eileen (Susan Sullivan), also long by his side. The two men still dine regularly at Hollywood’s ancient Musso & Frank’s eatery, where Norman sips martinis and Sandy has his Jack Daniels/Dr. Pepper concoction while a barely ambulatory waiter shuffles to and from their regular table.

Their first bit of banter, a variation on the old Abbott & Costello “Who’s on First?” routine, is built around the rapper/actor Ludacris. It’s too labored to work very well, but they soon get on the same page even while seldom agreeing on much of anything. Arkin is a cinch Emmy nominee for his contributions and Douglas may well find himself along for that ride.

The scenes with the acting class students, for the most part, don’t work as well. Sandy and his formerly estranged daughter Mindy (nice work by Sarah Baker) run The Kominsky Method studio in a nurturing fashion that could use a little more edge. Henry Winkler, who recently won his first Emmy as an acting coach in HBO’s Barry, was a more vividly rendered character with a bombastic temper fueled by delusions of grandeur. Sandy can get exasperated at times, particularly with a broadly drawn male goofball blonde named Jude (Graham Rogers). But he’s mostly simpatico -- and maybe too much so.

The series is sautéed with brief appearances by familiar performers, some of whom play themselves (Elliott Gould, Patti LaBelle, Jay Leno, Eddie Money) and others as someone else (Ann-Margret, Danny DeVito). Lisa Edelstein recurs as Norman’s drug/alcohol-addicted daughter, Phoebe, for whom he has no patience but occasional remorse for being that way with her.

Producer Lorre’s Young Sheldon, now in its second season, was his first comedy series shorn of a live studio audience and accompanying laugh track. It looks as though he’s still learning the “single-cam” rhythms at times, with some of the give-and-take in Kominsky Method feeling as though it’s waiting on an audible audience response. Still, the series hits its stride soon enough. Episodes 5 and 6 are particularly strong, whether it’s Sandy getting all dressed up to do a reverse mortgage commercial or Norman saying in all seriousness, “If you look at it objectively, my continued existence is pointless.”

Viewers of a certain age may well respond with knowing head nods to the age-old predicaments that Sandy and Norman find themselves in. But the series might also have some traction with advertiser-prized 18-to-49-year-olds. For whatever reasons, they’ve made Last Man Standing and Fox’s following The Cool Kids (which is set in a retirement home) Friday night’s two most popular broadcast network series among viewers in this demographic. Perhaps frequent urination is the new comedy gold?

Kominsky Method ends with plenty of room for a second season. And why not? Netflix has gotten considerable mileage out of its other seniors gone wild comedy, Grace and Frankie. Its core cast of 80-year-old Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin (79), Martin Sheen (78) and Sam Waterston (78) is by far the oldest in TV or streaming history. Their numbers are up. But as Douglas and Arkin prove anew, old pros are still capable of shifting into gear and then humming along despite all those incumbent aches, pains, and spikes in bathroom breaks.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/BlogP...x?postId=17346

Last edited by DrDon; 11-16-2018 at 06:04 AM. Reason: Fixed Kominsky title
post #26309 of 36817 Old 11-16-2018, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Technology Notes (Gaming)
Nintendo dashes hopes of an N64 Classic
By Sam Byford, TheVerge.com - Nov. 15, 2018

2016 had the NES Classic, 2017 had the SNES Classic, and 2018 has the PlayStation Classic, so a Nintendo 64 Classic can’t be too far away, right? Don’t count on it. In an interview with Kotaku, Nintendo of America CEO Reggie Fils-Aimé says that while he “would not ever rule something out... what I can tell you is certainly that’s not in our planning horizon.”

“We were clear when we did the first two Classic series that, for us, these were limited-time opportunities that were a way for us as a business to bridge from the conclusion of Wii U as a hardware system to the launch of Nintendo Switch,” says Fils-Aimé. “That was the very strategic reason we launched the NES Classic system.”

“So while consumers may have been anticipating something, we view these as limited-time opportunities. We’ve also now been very clear that as the consumer looks forward to engaging with our classic content that is going to happen more and more with the subscription service.”

Dreams of reliving the mid-to-late-’90s console wars all over again will have to wait, then. The lack of an N64 Classic would indeed be easier to swallow if you could simply play Ocarina of Time on a Switch through Nintendo’s online subscription. The trouble with that approach, of course, is that Nintendo has been very slow to roll out its offerings.

Currently subscribers to the Switch’s online service have access to around 30 original and tweaked versions of NES games, but no other systems are available, and Nintendo isn’t selling downloadable games through its usual Virtual Console platform either. But Fils-Aimé hints that more content will be on the way. “As we look to the future,” he says, “our subscription service, NSO, Nintendo Switch Online is going to be the place where you can play our classic content,” adding “We’ll see what comes next” when pressed on whether this will go beyond the NES.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/15/...intendo-denial
post #26310 of 36817 Old 11-16-2018, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
FRIDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)
From Zap2it.com's TV Grid - Nov. 16, 2018

ABC:
8PM - Fresh Off the Boat
8:30PM - Speechless
9PM - Child Support
10PM - 20/20
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Melissa McCarthy; comic Dennis Miller; The Milk Carton Kids perform)
(R)
12:07AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - MacGyver
9PM - Hawaii Five-0
10PM - Blue Bloods
11:35PM - The Late Show With Stephen Colbert (Timothée Chalamet; Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor; comic Graham Kay)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show With James Corden (Joan Collins; Johnny Galecki; Badflower performs)
(R)

NBC:
8PM - Blindspot
9PM - Midnight, Texas
10PM - Dateline NBC: The Ultimatum
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Benicio Del Toro; singer Mariah Carey; Mariah Carey performs with Ty Dolla $ign)
12:37AM - Late Night With Seth Meyers (Sarah Jessica Parker; Hallie Jackson, NBC News; Franklin Vanderbilt sits in with the 8G Band)
(R)
1:38AM - Last Call With Carson Daly (Reid Scott; Mt. Joy performs; Linus Roache)
(R)

FOX:
8PM - Last Man Standing
8:30PM - The Cool Kids
9PM - Hell's Kitchen

THE CW:
8PM - Dynasty
9PM - Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

PBS:
8PM - Washington Week
8:30PM - Firing Line With Margaret Hoover
9PM - Great Performances: John Leguizamo's Road to Broadway
10PM - Great Performances - In the Heights: Chasing Broadway Dreams
(R)

UNIVISION:
8PM - Jesús
9PM - Mi Marido Tiene Más Familia
10PM - Amar a Muerte

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - La Sultana
9PM - Falsa Identidad
10PM - Señora Acero

ESPN 2:
6:30PM - College Basketball, 2K Empire Classic: Connecticut vs. Iowa (LIVE)
9PM - College Football: Memphis at SMU (LIVE)

ESPNU:
6:30PM - College Basketball, Charleston Classic: Purdue vs. Davidson (LIVE)
9PM - College Basketball, Myrtle Beach Invitational: Western Kentucky vs. West Virginia (LIVE)

CBSSN:
7PM - College Basketball, Jersey Mike's Jamaica Classic: Georgetown vs. Loyola Marymount (LIVE)
9PM - College Football: Boise State at New Mexico (LIVE)

ESPN:
7PM - NBA Basketball: Toronto Raptors at Boston Celtics (LIVE)
9:30PM - NBA Basketball: Chicago Bulls at Milwaukee Bucks (LIVE)

DISNEY:
8PM - Andi Mack
8:30PM - Coop & Cami Ask the World
9PM - Raven's Home

LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK:
8PM - Movie: He Knows Your Every Move (2018)
10PM - Movie: The Girl in the Bathtub (2018)

MTV:
8PM - Ridiculousness: Matt Barnes
8:31PM - Ridiculousness: Chanel and Sterling LXXVIII
9:01PM - Ridiculousness: Brian Deegan
9:32PM - Too Stupid to Die

MTV CLASSIC:
8PM - A Clapton Christmas (Special)

A&E:
9PM - Live PD (3 hrs., LIVE)

OWN:
9PM - The Paynes

PARAMOUNT:
9PM - Bellator MMA Live (2 hrs. 15 min., LIVE)

SYFY:
9PM - Z Nation
10PM - Van Helsing

SHOWTIME:
9:35PM - Boxing - ShoBox: The New Generation (2 1/2 hrs., LIVE)

CINEMAX:
10PM - Mike Judge Presents: Tales From the Tour Bus
10:30PM - Mike Judge Presents: Tales From the Tour Bus
(R)

HBO:
10PM - Real Time with Bill Maher (Season Finale, LIVE: Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.); former world chess champion Garry Kasparov; political commentator Van Jones; historian Nancy MacLean; political analyst Steve Schmidt)
11PM - VICE: The Road to Asylum; Lab Rat Nation
11:31PM - Room 104
Midnight - Room 104

BBC AMERICA:
11PM - The Graham Norton Show (Ian McKellan; Carey Mulligan; Taron Egerton; Michael Buble performs)

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - This Week at the Comedy Cellar

SUNDANCE:
Midnight - Deutschland 86 (Episode 9)
1AM - Deutschland 86 (Episode 10, 65 min.)

TBS:
11PM - ELEAGUE: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Inv 2018 - Round 1

https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page