Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 995 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14443Likes

post #29821 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 4341
Tech
Spotify is testing a smart assistant speaker that fits in your car
You can't buy it though.
By David Neild - techradar.com - May 18, 2019

Rumors around a Spotify speaker for your car have been swirling for a while, and it's now official: Spotify has confirmed it's testing a new hardware device that fits in your car, designed to assess "how people listen in" on the go.

As this is still in the testing phase, you can't actually buy the speaker – called Car Thing – at the moment, but it is going to be given to a select number of Premium subscribers in the US.

Details on what Car Thing actually does beyond collect data for Spotify are a little thin on the ground. All Spotify is saying is that it's "a voice-controlled music and podcast device".

In fact, it might never go on sale: Spotify says it's committed to becoming "the world's number one audio platform" rather than making hardware devices.

Voice and Home

Even if hardware doesn't become a big part of Spotify's business, future devices may include a Voice Thing and a Home Thing, Spotify says. We're assuming that last one might be a little like a Google Home Mini.

"Americans spend 70 billion hours behind the wheel each year," Spotify's announcement reads. "That’s a lot of time spent on the road. So what you do – and what you listen to – to help you get through those long hours in the car matters."

"That’s why Spotify is trying to learn more about people’s listening habits and preferences to help create an unparalleled experience for our users."

Testing is beginning in the next few weeks, according to The Verge. As the device gets into cars we might start hearing more about what it can actually do.

https://www.techradar.com/news/spoti...ts-in-your-car

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29822 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

VR
Google is shutting down the Jump VR platform in June
The company will start deleting data and users on June 28th.
By Mariella Moon - engadget.com - May 18, 2019

Google's Jump VR platform will go offline by the end of June, and it has started telling users to download their data before it shuts down completely. The tech giant launched Jump back in 2015 to simplify the creation of 3D 360-degree videos using shots and videos captured by compatible camera rigs, which are typically composed of over a dozen action cameras. Once uploaded, Google uses the power of the cloud to automatically stitch them together.

In an email sent to users and a notice posted at the top of the Jump FAQ page, the tech giant said the platform will stop accepting uploads for processing at 11:59PM Pacific on June 26th. Those who want a copy of the data they uploaded to the cloud will have until June 27th to download them all. On June 28th, Google will start erasing Jump's cloud data and deactivating accounts.

Based on what the company told users, the declining userbase compelled it to shut the service down. "...[We] have seen the emergence of a number of good alternative solutions for creators, including VR180. As these new cameras, formats, and editing tools became available, we saw usage of Jump Assembler decline." Thankfully, camera rigs that support Jump, such as GoPro Odyssey and the Yi Halo, will still work with third-party video editing software -- they cost tens of thousands of dollars, after all.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/18/...-down-jump-vr/

post #29823 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Obit
Ashley Massaro dead: WWE star dies age 39 at New York home
WWE star Ashley Massaro has died in her New York home local police have confirmed.
By BILL MCLOUGHLIN
PUBLISHED: 06:15, Fri, May 17, 2019 | UPDATED: 14:09, Fri, May 17, 2019- express.co.uk

The retired wrestler was found in her home in Suffolk County, New York, on Thursday morning. After being discovered by police at home she was taken to a local hospital where she passed away. Officials confirmed that they were responding to an unconscious female.

TMZ stated that officials have not released any details surrounding the former wrestler's death but are treating it as "non-criminal".

In a statement following her death, WWE said: "We are saddened to learn of the tragic death of former WWE superstar Ashley Massaro.

"She performed in WWE from 2005-2008 and was beloved by her fellow Superstars and fans around the world.

"WWE offers its condolences to Ashley’s family and friends."

Ms Massaro's WWE career started in 2005 after she won the Raw Diva search.

In 2007 Ms Massaro competed on Survivor: China but was voted off on the second episode.

The former WWE star also appeared on the 2007 April cover of Playboy Magazine.

She retired from the WWE in 2008.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...suffolk-county

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29824 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Apologies if this is a repeat

Tech
Apple's new TV app is a work in progress
It's the beginning of a big change for Apple.
By Devindra Hardawar - engadget - May 16, 2019

Apple's approach to digital video can best be described as slow and steady. While iTunes and the iPod effortlessly transformed the way we purchased and listened to music, it took the company years to figure out how to position the Apple TV. For the most part, films and TV were just additional categories in iTunes, which, as its name implies, was primarily focused on music. But now that Apple finally has a solid 4K set-top box, the next issue is helping people organize everything they have to watch.

That's where the company's new TV app comes in: It'll let you keep track of the shows and movies you're watching, highlight noteworthy content and give you an easy way to subscribe and watch premium content from networks like HBO and Showtime. In theory, it's the sort of seamless experience we've come to expect from Apple. In practice, though, it's clear that the company still has work to do.

On the face of it, the new TV app just looks like a redesign of the previous one, which debuted in 2016. It, too, attempted to keep track of what you were watching, but that was pretty much it. The new version adds a top menu, allowing you to easily jump into movies and TV shows available across iTunes and third-party apps, along with sports and kids programming. You can also quickly jump into your library or search from content from the menu. None of these are bold new features for Apple's content ecosystem, but what's key is that the new TV app makes them all easily accessible from one place. Eventually, it'll likely replace the separate Movies and TV Shows apps on the Apple TV. (For now, they all awkwardly duplicate the same functionality.)

For the most part, you'll be spending time in the TV app's main "Watch Now" section. That's where you can quickly resume a show or movie you've been watching, or hop to the next episode. It's also where Apple's curation kicks into overdrive. There are suggestions for hot shows to watch, new and noteworthy entries, and content featured on Channels partners like HBO. There's a timely selection of Game of Thrones episodes to watch. Apple also said there would be a personalized "

At this point, Apple's TV recommendations are pretty basic -- a true TV connoisseur already knows that HBO's Barry is something you have to watch -- but they might be useful for more mainstream viewers. And while the "Watch Now" section is helpful, there's no support for Netflix shows, which leaves out most of the shows I'm bingeing.

Channels is undoubtedly the biggest new feature Apple debuted this week. It lets you quickly subscribe to content from HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and a handful of other services. The concept isn't exactly new, as Amazon is doing pretty much the same thing with its own Prime Video Channels, but it's a new level of convenience for Apple users. You could always subscribe to HBO Now or Showtime from their respective apps, but first you'd have to download, install and step through their subscription process. With Channels, it just takes a few clicks to start watching a whole new network. The entire subscribing and viewing experience happens within the TV app. (I noticed a bug at one point where the iPhone TV app was directing me to download third-party apps, but that's been resolved.)

Best of all, you can also download episodes and films for offline viewing from the TV app. That's something premium apps like HBO Now don't yet offer. It's the ideal option for someone who can't stay up late to watch a 90-minute episode of Game of Thrones -- they could just download the episode and catch up during their commute.

On my Apple TV 4K, I was able to subscribe to Cinemax in around 10 seconds. I got a free weekly trial to check out the network -- something you'll get from every Channel -- and I was informed that I'll be charged $10 a month afterward. (The pricing varies from every network. HBO charges its typical $15 a month, while PBS Living is just $3.) With my subscription in hand, I hit play on the first episode of Warrior and it started up almost instantly. It's a show I've been meaning to watch for a while, but it's a bit tough to access since I don't have cable, and there's no standalone Cinemax Apple TV app. (I could have subscribed to the Cinemax Amazon Prime Channel outside of the Apple TV, but I've been too lazy for that.)

Channels is exactly what Apple promised: an a la carte way to watch premium TV networks. But it's still pretty limited so far. HBO, Showtime and Cinemax are the biggest providers so far, but beyond that, you've got smaller streaming services and networks, like CBS All Access, Epix and Shudder. The selection is rounded out with channels I've never even heard of, like the History Vault and Up Faith and Family. There's no FX or AMC, which airs The Walking Dead, one of the most popular shows on TV. For Channels to be truly useful, Apple needs to score more content deals. Otherwise, most people would be better off subscribing to something like SlingTV, which offers live and on-demand programming.

We'll have to wait until the fall to see Apple TV+, the company's original subscription service, which will also live inside the TV app. For now, Apple is basically laying the groundwork for what's to come. Notably, it's also bringing the TV app to Samsung smart TVs, as well as AirPlay 2 and HomeKit support to Vizio, LG and Sony sets later this year. Just like how Apple needed to bring the iPod and iTunes to Windows to make them succeed, it has no choice but to open up its video platform if it wants to be taken seriously.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/16/...-app-hands-on/

post #29825 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Jeopardy! Returns to Regular Games

Well, the Teachers Tournament is over. Jeopardy! returns to regular games on Monday. The recording date for 7996 was on March 5th, a little less than a month before the Teachers Tournament was recorded (4/1-2/19). Because it was recorded before the Teachers Tournament, Alex couldn't say much about it.

Next Friday's episode will be Jeopardy!'s 8000th episode.
I really wonder how much longer this guy can go?
post #29826 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - May 18, 2019

SMALLFOOT
HBO, 8PM. ET

Some very recognizable and attractive people are heard but not seen in this clever 2018 animated comedy, which is about a hidden community of yeti “discovering” a longmored human – in their parlance, a “smallfoot.” Channing Tatum provides the voice of Migo, Zendaya plays Meechee, Common is the Stonekeeper, and LeBron James is Gwangi. Quite a crew, especially notable given that they’re all being hired, in this case, primarily for their vocal skills. So are Danny DeVito, Gina Rodriguez and especially James Corden, who has the tittle role. Lots of fun, for kids and adults – and it manages to say something significant not only about friendship and faith, but about myths and religion.

SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE
NBC 11:29PM ET

SEASON FINALE: Paul Rudd has hosted the season finale of SNL three times – and tonight’s show will make his fourth. Why is he tapped so often for this particular slot? For one thing, he’s usually featured in a major summer movie – as he is, this year, playing Ant-Man in Avengers: Endgame. But it’s also because Rudd can be counted on to hold his own in any sketch, and even carry it – which, at the end of a long season, when the regular Saturday Night Live repertory players are sucking wind and trying to make it to summer vacation, is a big, big plus.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/

post #29827 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPatrol View Post
That's what SHE said.
archiguy and Nayan like this.

post #29828 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Anyone else having trouble staying signed in to AVS HOTP and others I follow. I need to sign in every time I open up a forum. The remember me box does no good.
post #29829 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

TV
The Batman’s First Two Villains Have Reportedly Been Revealed
By Adam Holmes - Cinemablend - May 17, 2019

Last night, the news broke that Robert Pattinson, at the bare minimum, is one of the top contenders to play Batman next on the big screen, if not close to signing a deal. We’ll have to wait and see if Pattinson does indeed end up leading The Batman or if the eponymous role will go to someone like Nicholas Hoult, but for now, some news about Batman’s rogues gallery in the upcoming DC Extended Universe movie has come out. Get ready for some Batman Returns déjà vu, because evidently Penguin and Catwoman will be among the film’s baddies.

To be up front, this isn’t the first time we’ve heard that Penguin, real name Oswald Cobblepot, will appear in The Batman. Last summer, it was reported that both the Caped Crusader’s next movie and Birds of Prey were considering using the beak-nosed umbrella enthusiast. Since then, it’s been revealed that Birds of Prey is using Roman Sionis, a.k.a. Black Mask, as its main antagonist, and he’ll be accompanied by Victor Zsasz. Then in January, word came in that Penguin would indeed show up in The Batman, although this hasn’t been officially confirmed.

However, THR did reveal today that “another purrfect character” will appear in The Batman. Granted, while Catwoman isn’t technically outright named, unless director/writer Matt Reeves is wanting to give the significantly lesser-known Batman baddie-turned-anti-hero Catman his time to shine, then we can reasonably assume this is Selina Kyle who’s being talked about.

Penguin and Catwoman have been part of The Batman mythos since almost the very beginning, although nowadays the latter is frequently depicted as an anti-hero who is still the Dark Knight’s most recurring love interest. The characters, played by Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer, respectively, famously teamed up in 1992’s Batman Returns, and while that movie remains Penguin’s last live action theatrical appearance thus far, Catwoman was played in 2012’s The Dark Knight Rises by Anne Hathaway. Penguin and Catwoman were also recently main characters on the TV series Gotham, played by Robin Lord Taylor and Camren Bicondova, respectively.

It’s also worth noting that it doesn’t look like Penguin and Catwoman will be the only villains to appear in The Batman. Matt Reeves has previously said that the movie will feature a “rogues gallery,” and THR has heard from a source that as many as six bad guys could show up, with Collider hearing rumors that Riddler could be part of this group.

Aside from the 1966 Batman movie, which saw Joker, Riddler, Penguin and Catwoman teaming up, the live action Batman movies have never exceeded having three villains per story (not including organized crime figures), so to potentially see half a dozen colorful baddies show up is intriguing. Hopefully this doesn’t result in the story being weighed down by so many people, but Spider-Man: Homecoming did prove you can have a collection of supporting and minor villains who don’t take away from the menace of the main threat.

No specific story details for The Batman have been revealed yet other than Matt Reeves saying it will be a noir-driven tale that highlights Bruce Wayne’s detective skills. And while the actor who plays Batman next, whether it’s Robert Pattinson or someone else, will be younger than Ben Affleck’s iteration, this movie will not be an origin story.

The Batman is scheduled to begin production within a year and will hit theaters on June 25, 2021. Stay tuned to CinemaBlend for continuing coverage, and if you’re wondering what else is coming down the DCEU pipeline, look through our comprehensive guide.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...-been-revealed

post #29830 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjpjr View Post
Anyone else having trouble staying signed in to AVS HOTP and others I follow. I need to sign in every time I open up a forum. The remember me box does no good.
Nope. Try clearing your cookies.

post #29831 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:49 AM
Super Moderator

Phone a Friend
‘Who Wants to Be a Millionaire’ to End After 17 Years in Syndication
By Joe Otterson - Variety - May 17, 2019

“Who Wants to Be a Millionaire” is coming to an end.

Variety has learned exclusively that the syndicated game show has been canceled. To date, it has aired nearly 3,000 episodes, including over 300 when the show aired on ABC.

“After a successful 17-year run, ‘Who Wants To Be A Millionaire’ will not return in national syndication for the 2019-20 season,” a show spokesperson told Variety.

The show first began airing on ABC primetime in 1999 before shifting to syndication in 2002. The show features contestants answering multiple choice questions of increasing difficulty, with each correct answer earning them more and more prize money, building to the $1 million question. Contestants also have the options of using three lifelines during the game to help them answer a question that has them stumped.

The original incarnation of the show was hosted by Regis Philbin and quickly became a cultural phenomenon, popularizing the use of the phrase, “Is that your final answer?” After the show went into syndication, Meredith Vieira took over as host until 2013. Since then, it has been hosted by Cedric the Entertainer, Terry Crews, and Chris Harrison, the last of whom currently hosts the series.

The series is produced by Valleycrest Productions Ltd. and is distributed by Disney ABC Home Entertainment and Television Distribution. James Rowley serves as executive producer of the show, which is taped at Caesars Entertainment Studios in Las Vegas, Nevada.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/who...ed-1203217602/

post #29832 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Mergers and Acquisitions
Lionsgate Stock Jumps on Report of CBS Offer to Buy Starz
By David McNary - Variety - May 17, 2019

Shares of Lionsgate have jumped nearly 15% in the wake of a report that CBS Corp. has made an informal, $5 billion bid for the company’s Starz cable network.

Lionsgate stock surged $2 to close at $15.60 in Friday trading on the New York Stock Exchange, then gained another 10 cents in after-hours trading.

According to the Information, CBS is looking at a deal as a potential complement to Viacom — which CBS is considering acquiring. The report said CBS interim CEO Joseph Ianniello made the offer several weeks ago to Lionsgate executives, who turned it down. Despite being spurned, CBS remains interested in a deal for Starz.

CBS and Lionsgate separately declined to comment. Shares of Lionsgate have declined by 36% in the last 12 months, with a 52-week high of $27.88.

Lionsgate reported in February that its earnings and operating income had topped Wall Street projections, thanks to growth from Starz. Revenues were down 18% to $933.2 million, which fell short of Wall Street’s estimate of $1 billion. Starz ended the quarter with 25.1 million overall domestic subscribers, up 1.1 million subscribers from the prior-year quarter, and achieved strong over-the-top subscriber growth.

“We’re pleased to report a strong quarter with significant free cash flow, and continued revenue and subscriber growth at Starz,” said Lionsgate CEO Jon Feltheimer in February. “As we refill our feature film and television pipelines at a robust pace and take our integration of Lionsgate and Starz to the next level, all signs are pointing to strong growth in the year ahead.”

Lionsgate bought Starz, which includes the “American Gods,” “Vida,” “Power” and “Outlander” series, for $4.4 billion in late 2016.

Speculation about mergers has risen in recent months following Disney buying most of 21st Century Fox’s assets for $71.3 billion, and AT&T acquiring Time Warner for $85.4 billion. Disney and the resulting WarnerMedia are planning streaming services to compete with Netflix and Amazon.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lio...rz-1203219093/

post #29833 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Cordcutting
Amazon Has MLB.TV’s Yearly Subscription on Sale For Just $59.99 Down From $118.99
by Luke Bouma on May 17, 2019 Cordcuttersnews.com

Back in March Amazon announced that they have added MLB.TV to their Amazon Channels service. Now Amazon is having an MLB.TV sale offering a year of MLB.TV for just $59.99 typically $118.99 a year.

You can find this deal on Amazon’s website HERE.

FAQ:
What is MLB.TV?
MLB.TV is a regular-season package you can subscribe to with Prime Video Channels. Subscribers get live access to out-of-market feeds for all regular season Major League Baseball games that aren’t subject to a regional, national, or other blackout.

Can I watch my local team on MLB.TV?
No. MLB.TV is intended for fans to watch MLB games for teams outside of their current local area.

Which MLB games can I watch?
Live regular season games included in your subscription feature out-of-market teams only. Nationally televised games and local team games televised in your area aren’t available for live streaming with MLB.TV. MLB playoff games, the World Series, and the All-Star Game are not available for live streaming with MLB.TV. Nationally televised games and local games are usually available on your regional sports network or over-the-air station. To see a full schedule of games, visit MLB.com.

Are regional blackouts based on my location or my billing address?
Regional blackouts are based on your physical location. To determine which teams are subject to blackout at your location, enter your zip code on MLB.com.

When are full game archives of blacked-out MLB.TV games available?
Regular season games that are blacked out in your area will be available to watch as an archived game approximately 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game.

What can I watch on MLB.TV during the off-season?
During the off-season, an MLB.TV subscription offers on-demand archives of the previous season’s games.

https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/amaz...n-from-118-99/

post #29834 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2085 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvideo View Post
Jeopardy! Returns to Regular Games

Well, the Teachers Tournament is over. Jeopardy! returns to regular games on Monday. The recording date for 7996 was on March 5th, a little less than a month before the Teachers Tournament was recorded (4/1-2/19). Because it was recorded before the Teachers Tournament, Alex couldn't say much about it.

Next Friday's episode will be Jeopardy!'s 8000th episode.
I read that between episodes (15 minutes), Alex would go to his dressing room and lie on the floor in pain. They offered to stop filming but Alex said no.
Panson likes this.
post #29835 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

For Gear Geeks
Live From the PGA Championship: CBS Sports Caps Off Busy Start to 2019 With Massive Production at Bethpage
Two dozen trucks, 180+ cameras are on hand to serve HD and 4K HDR productions
By Jason Dachman, Chief Editor
Friday, May 17, 2019 - 1:14 pm SVG News

The month may be different this year at the PGA Championship, but one thing hasn’t changed: CBS Sports has once again rolled out a full arsenal of technology at Bethpage Black to cover the battle for the Wanamaker Trophy. The tournament’s shift from August to May this year made for a quick turnaround for the CBS Sports operations team following last month’s Masters Tournament, but that hasn’t stopped them from deploying one of its largest and most technology-driven productions ever.

“It’s been a very busy year for us. We went from Super Bowl to NCAA Final Four to Augusta and then here,” says Patty Power, EVP, operations and engineering, CBS Sports. “But we’ve known the [PGA Championship’s] move to May was coming for a while now, so we started planning as early as possible last year. It’s really all about scheduling and efficiently deploying our people and resources. Both the engineering team and the remote-operations team have been amazing, and we’re really proud of what we’ve accomplished over [the last four months].”

Inside the Compound, on the Course: Two Dozen Trucks, 180+ Cameras
The 24 trucks (including satellite uplinks) inside the production compound located just behind the 11th tee are led by NEP’s SSCBS and Game Creek Video’s Encore mobile units, which are covering the back nine and front nine, respectively. NEP’s ND7 is splitting duties between the CBS-produced Featured Group 2 streaming coverage and CBS Sports Network’s PGA Championship On the Range and Clubhouse Report onsite studio shows (CBSN was an at-home production at last year’s PGA Championship). Game Creek’s Pride is handling the 4K HDR production at the No.’s 16-18 show, which is then downconverted to HD SDR for the Featured Holes streaming coverage.

Meanwhile, Turner Sports has NEP SS15 on hand for its Featured Group 1 coverage streaming (with ST28 as its B unit) on PGA.com, PGAChampionship.com, and the PGA Championship app. In all, CBS Sports’ PGA Championship operation has a whopping 212 channels of EVS replay across all the trucks.

CBS Sports has deployed 92 cameras throughout Bethpage, as well as 90 additional cameras for the 4DReplay system on No. 15. This complement includes a new high of nine high-speed cameras: two Phantom v642 for SwingVision and seven Sony HDC-4300’s running at 6X slo-mo. Also in the mix are 18 RF cameras (provided by NEP’s BSI), 22 camera towers, 20 Toptracer systems (18 tee cameras and two RF cameras), and an army of robotics (supplied by NEP’s Fletcher), and the blimp camera (which features Toptracer capability for the first time).

Bethpage State Park’s sprawling footprint proved to be challenging, with the truck compound located more than a mile from CBS’s studio set at the Bethpage Clubhouse. CBS worked closely with NEP and Bexel to run 41 miles of multistrand fiber throughout the course, the longest single run being more than 8,000 ft.

“The sheer size of this place is amazing: we are spread across two counties, and we have to cross a major road,” says Power. “We started loading in here three weeks ago, and the size of [Bethpage Black] has been very challenging, but it’s a beautiful course, and Bethpage and the PGA have done a great job.”

In addition, CBS has once again used the PGA Championship to showcase next-gen technologies: SIMI motion capture at the 11th tee, 4DReplay at No. 15, Toptracer systems at all 18 tee boxes, two RF systems and the blimp cam, Hawk-Eye Green Technology, ARL Virtual Eye, Smartcart, aerial drone coverage, and Pinpoint wind metering on 18 holes. CLICK HERE for SVG’s full story on CBS’s arsenal of tech toys at Bethpage.

CBS Back for More 4K HDR: Blimp Cam Added to the Mix
CBS is producing 4K HDR coverage from Bethpage Black’s Holes 16, 17, and 18 during all four rounds for distribution to AT&T’s DirecTV. The show, which is running out of Game Creek’s Pride A and B units, is being produced as a fully 4K HDR feed, which is then downconverted to HD for PGA Championship live featured-hole coverage on PGA digital platforms and DirecTV’s PGA Championship Mix.

“We’ve continued our model where we try to stay as [4K HDR]-native as possible,” says Mike Francis, VP, remote engineering and planning, CBS Sports. “We try to give our production teams all the bells and whistles that we can regarding camera angles, replay, graphics, and other technology.”

This marks the second consecutive year that CBS Sports has produced 4K HDR coverage from the PGA Championship (CBS produced a 4K HDR test feed in 2017 and has produced 4K SDR coverage at selected holes since 2016). CBS Sports and DirecTV also teamed up to produce and distribute 4K HDR coverage from The Masters (at Augusta National’s Amen Corner) for the past two years.

Between unilateral cameras and cameras shared with the main HD show, the 4K HDR production has 15 cameras at its disposal, primarily Sony HDC-4300’s. CBS has also upgraded the RF HDR camera covering the final three holes to a Sony HDC-3500, which dramatically enhanced its capabilities compared with the Sony PXW-Z450 ENG camera used in last year’s RF system. The 4K HDR production also features Toptracer, ARL Virtual Eye, and Pinpoint Wind technology on all three holes.

The major new addition to this year’s 4K HDR coverage is a 1080p HDR blimp camera, delivering pristine aerial shots of Bethpage (the camera is converted to SDR for the HD show). CLICK HERE for SVG’s full story on the new HDR blimp camera system.

“Having native HDR on the 4K show today is really going to make a difference,” says Francis. “Those are the enhancements that we’re working towards for HDR, to make it the complete show that our production teams and everyone comes to expect, like they were doing the main show.”

2020 on the Horizon: Launching ESPN Partnership at Harding Park

Next year, CBS will begin a new 11-year rights deal for the PGA Championship, but its partner at the compound will be different. After 29 years, Turner Sports will no longer be part of the PGA Championship proceedings, and ESPN will take over.

“We love our Turner family, and we’re extremely proud of what we’ve accomplished together, but we’re very excited about new challenges ahead with ESPN,” says Power. “Also, the PGA of America starts planning their events multiple years out, so we’re already talking to them about Kiawah [Island Golf Resort in 2021]. We’re always just trying stay ahead of it and figure out where all the technology is going, because, every year, we try to tee up as much as we can for our production team. What’s new? What makes sense to bring back? What can we do to enhance what we’re currently doing to help with the storytelling?”

https://www.sportsvideo.org/2019/05/...n-at-bethpage/
Panson likes this.

post #29836 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens View Post
I read that between episodes (15 minutes), Alex would go to his dressing room and lie on the floor in pain. They offered to stop filming but Alex said no.
I am really saddened by this.
Panson likes this.
post #29837 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 10:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post

Ratings: Survivor Finale Up Year-Over- Year

CBS’ Survivor snuffed Season 38 this Wednesday night before an audience of 7.2 million while scoring a 1.5 demo rating — up a tenth from the year-ago “Ghost Island” finale while steady in total audience.

The reunion show (4.7 mil/0.9) was similarly up a tenth year-over-year.
I really wish CBS would just make the final episode a 3 hour block instead of cutting it up into 2 hours and 1 hour, it would make more sense since the first 2 hours extend into the final hour, plus the “reunion show” has been cut to only about 30 minutes.
post #29838 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 10:49 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Well, obviously Alex made it thru all of the March recordings, since he recorded the Teachers Tournament on April Fools Day.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
post #29839 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Cordcutting
Amazon Has MLB.TV’s Yearly Subscription on Sale For Just $59.99 Down From $118.99
by Luke Bouma on May 17, 2019 Cordcuttersnews.com
This $59.99 deal pricing is available directly from MLB.tv, the article is misleading in that it's MLB.tv having the sale, not Amazon. Of course, then Cordcutters wouldn't be getting their cut of the sale.
DrDon and rcman2 like this.

Last edited by Keenan; 05-18-2019 at 11:52 AM.
post #29840 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
This $59.99 deal pricing is available directly from MLB.tv, the article is misleading in that it's MLB.tv having the sale, not Amazon. Of course, then Cordcutters wouldn't be getting their cut of the sale.
Thanks for the update. Was kind of in a rush to cover for dad, this morning. I ordinarily don't like running anything from them as there appears to be a lot of just that kind of misinformation, there.
Keenan likes this.

post #29841 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 11:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked: 583
Makes my Free MLB from T-Mobile seem like something- But I really watch very little baseball. BTW, it is a full access deal, It works with my MLB app on my roku TV...
post #29842 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 12:00 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I visit Cord Cutters News daily, but the first thing I do with each article is look for a link to the original source. While I appreciate the site for providing timely cord cutting related information, the main writer struggles mightily with basic context and grammar. Some of the articles can be rather painful to get through.
DrDon, rcman2, Keenan and 1 others like this.
post #29843 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plager8 View Post
I visit Cord Cutters News daily, but the first thing I do with each article is look for a link to the original source. While I appreciate the site for providing timely cord cutting related information, the main writer struggles mightily with basic context and grammar. Some of the articles can be rather painful to get through.
Yes, I do that with a lot of sites I come across, find the actual source and read it there instead.
post #29844 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 12:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 1648
Quote:
For Gear Geeks
Live From the PGA Championship: CBS Sports Caps Off Busy Start to 2019 With Massive Production at Bethpage
Two dozen trucks, 180+ cameras are on hand to serve HD and 4K HDR productions
By Jason Dachman, Chief Editor
Friday, May 17, 2019 - 1:14 pm SVG News
EXCERPT
The month may be different this year at the PGA Championship, but one thing hasn’t changed: CBS Sports has once again rolled out a full arsenal of technology at Bethpage Black to cover the battle for the Wanamaker Trophy. The tournament’s shift from August to May this year made for a quick turnaround for the CBS Sports operations team following last month’s Masters Tournament, but that hasn’t stopped them from deploying one of its largest and most technology-driven productions ever.
https://www.sportsvideo.org/2019/05/...n-at-bethpage/
Thanks for that info.

I do wish the tracer was deep-sixed. It's overused and often not accurate. Today's 1st tee tracer-drive by Koepka was deep in the right rough until a camerman picked it up comfortably on the right side of the fairway, 69 yards from the flag.

Back-in-the-day, massive on-course towers would enable crack camermen to catch ball-flight entirety more accurately. Sometimes it would be quite exciting watching the ball launch and coming right into your LR. All this during low-tech era.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #29845 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TV News
Steve Kroft to Retire from '60 Minutes'
The show's longest-tenured correspondent is known for his incisive interviews and impactful investigations. But he admits, "I'm not easy."
7:00 AM PDT 5/17/2019 by Marisa Guthrie Hollywood Reporter
EXCERPT
Steve Kroft, the longest-tenured 60 Minutes correspondent, will retire at the end of his 30th season on the iconic newsmagazine. His last piece — about what could be the biggest money laundering scheme ever — will air Sunday on the show’s 51st season finale. Kroft, 73, will announce his plan to step down at the conclusion of the broadcast. In September 60 Minutes will air a retrospective of Kroft’s 50-year career in journalism.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...inutes-1211628
Amongst the best, I shall miss him. Happy retirement, Steve.

archiguy likes this.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #29846 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I really wonder how much longer this guy {Alex Trebek} can go?
I'm sadly guesstimating early July, and not in front of the cameras. Hope I'm wrong.

post #29847 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post
I'm sadly guesstimating early July, and not in front of the cameras. Hope I'm wrong.
I was talking about the contestant, not Alex.
post #29848 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 01:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
Obituary
Architect I.M. Pei, noted for Louvre pyramid, dies at 102
By Bill Trott, Reuters.com - May 16, 2019
EXCERPT
I.M. Pei, whose modern designs and high-profile projects made him one of the best-known and most prolific architects of the 20th century, has died, the New York Times reported on Thursday. He was 102.
Pei, whose portfolio included a controversial renovation of Paris’ Louvre Museum and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland, died overnight, his son Chien Chung Pei told the newspaper.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/05/...d-dies-at-102/
Remembrances are many.

"I.M. Pei left his mark on Sarasota’s New College"

Quote:
Famed architect was hired at school’s inception and created its first dorm complex. I.M. Pei considered one of the five greatest architects of the 20th century was hired as the architect for Sarasota’s New College in September 1963.
https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/2...as-new-college

post #29849 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 01:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

post #29850 of 32580 Old 05-18-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked: 917
Quote:
Wasn't clear in your post. You'll have to watch Monday to see what happens.
TheRatPatrol likes this.

"VCR was in the closet. Still works. Can't get the clock to stop blinking, though."
Angela - Animal Kingdom - 7/16/19
My 2017 Total Solar Eclipse Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page