Hot Off The Press: The Latest TV News and Information - Page 998 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14442Likes

post #29911 of 32565 Old 05-21-2019, 08:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 View Post
TV/Business Notes (Merchandise)
New Coke is back after 34 years. Thank 'Stranger Things' season 3.
By Zlati Meyer, USA Today - May 21, 2019

Thirty-four years after it debuted – and then disappeared – New Coke is back.

The 12-ounce cans of New Coke, made from the same recipe that sparked the 1985 revolt, will go on sale at 5 p.m. ET at cokestore.com. They'll be part of a bundle when shoppers buy at least two limited-edition "Stranger Things" Coca-Cola or Coke Zero Sugar eight-ounce glass bottles.

Free cans of New Coke will also be available for a limited time via an upside-down "Stranger Things"-inspired vending machine in select cities, starting Thursday in New York. And people who buy a ticket or gift at the World of Coca-Cola in Atlanta on certain days during the week of June 3 will have a chance to get New Coke cans as a gift, while supplies last.
I had assumed it would be offered in stores as an addon. Had it been offered in the 1980s in ADDITION to Reg coke as opposed to instead of we would still have it today.

The so called New Cole was Diet Coke with Corn syrup. Coke Zero is regular coke without sugar

Last edited by DrDon; 05-22-2019 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Fixed formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29912 of 32565 Old 05-21-2019, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 195
The St. Louis Blues were dead last in the NHL standings on January 1 yet had the best record in the league since. Tonight the Blues eliminated the San Jose Sharks to win the Western Conference championship and will play the Boston Bruins for the 2019 Stanley Cup. This Finals series will be a repeat of the last time the Blues were in the Finals in 1970 and faced the Bobby Orr led Bruins. NBC is fortunate to have two of the top NHL markets going head-to-head in the 2019 Stanley Cup Finals.
bwaldron, Nayan and MisterMars like this.
post #29913 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3181 Post(s)
Liked: 2753
Send a message via Yahoo to dad1153
TV Notes (Cable)
'Game of Thrones' is over, and some viewers are ready to cancel HBO. Here's how to do it
By Brett Molina, USA Today - May 21, 2019

TV viewers might say goodbye to more than just "Game of Thrones" following Sunday's series finale.

Several people plan to cancel their subscriptions to HBO now that the show is over, based on reactions through social media, and they're reminding their friends to do the same.

"Just a friendly reminder to everyone to cancel your HBO subscription," said Twitter user @ronnied ale2.

According to a blog post from research firm Mintel, subscribers to HBO Now are twice as likely to agree they would cancel their subscriptions if a specific show or program ended. The firm also cites HBO Now's $14.99 per month price, slightly higher than competitors.

Winter sucked
@PerS _ality
Me once GoT is over and I cancel my HBO subscription
8:38 PM - May 19, 2019

Chris 🇵🇷
@passion NTorment
ANYWAYSSSSS, let me go cancel this HBO subscription. #GameOfThrones
10:35 PM - May 19, 2019

Bella
@Yo__Gabba
Time to cancel our HBO subscription guys 😅
9:35 AM - May 20, 2019

Ronnie Bogle
@ronnied ale2
Just a friendly reminder to everyone to cancel your HBO subscription ☺️☺️☺️
2:31 PM - May 20, 2019 · Bertrand, MI

If you really are thinking about cancelling HBO, there's a detailed explainer on their website on how to drop the channel if you're going through a third-party provider.

If you signed up directly through HBO, just visit the app, go to settings, then billing information, then cancel your subscription and follow the necessary steps.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...on/3744421002/
Panson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #29914 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Streaming)
How Hulu's Four Weddings and a Funeral series spins a modern, diverse twist on the traditional rom-com
By Piya Sinha-Roy, EW.com - May 22, 2019

It all begins, as love stories often do, when boy meets girl.

The boy in question is Kash, a successful, handsome British-Pakistani investment banker, and the girl is Maya, a high-flying, beautiful black American communications director to a politician. Their meet-cute? In the throngs of London’s Heathrow airport, where Maya’s missing bag leads her to Kash and sparks fly as they spontaneously share intimate secrets while sitting among racks of lost luggage.

This summer, Hulu’s new 10-episode limited series Four Weddings and a Funeral (July 31) — inspired by the 1994 film starring a charming, bumbling Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowell — revives and redefines a traditional romantic comedy in a new format for a new generation. Co-creator Mindy Kaling says they incorporated the titular life events — four weddings and a funeral — to follow entirely new characters.

“I wanted to take the themes and the essence of the movie and apply it through my eyes of what I would like to see that I haven’t seen yet,” Kaling, a self-confessed rom-com aficionado, tells EW. “I know so many beautiful, funny, interesting African-American girls and so many handsome, hilarious British-Pakistani and British-Indian guys and I don’t think anyone would put them together if I’m not going to do it.”

And when it came to finding the series’ own Grant and MacDowell, Kaling knew she wanted a diverse couple, the kind not normally featured in romantic comedies. Enter Game of Thrones star Nathalie Emmanuel as Maya and Indian Summers actor Nikesh Patel as Kash. “Let’s be honest, Four Weddings is one of the whitest movies ever,” says Emmanuel, 30, who is multiracial. “There weren’t many of us that you saw on screen in movies of that era.”

For Patel, 33, playing Kash feels like “a celebration” of his South Asian background. “It felt like something I didn’t know that I was missing until I had it,” he says. “It’s the first opportunity that I’ve had to get my teeth into a love story set now that has this range, depth, journey and all these different flavors to it.”

At the start of Hulu’s Four Weddings, Maya is grappling with the impact of her affair with her politician boss as she heads to London to celebrate her best friend Ainsley’s (Rebecca Rittenhouse) birthday, throwing her into the path of Kash. That chance encounter at Heathrow is a catalyst for a drastic decision that Kash — who Maya later realizes is actually dating Ainsley — makes at the end of the first episode.

“It places a lot of what he’s going through internally under a microscope,” Patel explains. Indeed, Kash is juggling his own set of struggles between his job, his relationship, and his familial duties. “His ownership and responsibility for his own actions is a huge part of his own story, and how it impacts other people,” he adds.

And Maya goes on her own journey of self-discovery. “She starts off high-flying, successful, and in love, and she loses all of it and then has to figure out what she wants and how she wants to get it,” Emmanuel says.

She adds that often in rom-coms, “the girls are always very perfect,” but Maya is successful, intelligent, and also a little messy. “That’s what makes her fun.”

While the series centers on Maya and Kash, it will also follow their group of thirtysomething friends navigating life-changing moments that are thrust upon them. There’s Duffy (John Reynolds), who’s hopelessly in love with Maya, and Craig (Brandon Mychal Smith), who makes a huge discovery in the first episode. Rittenhouse’s Ainsley encounters an unexpected change that forces her to reexamine her life and what she wants for herself. “What I really like about this show is that it’s very funny and sweet and light-hearted but it also does get very real and it examines what it means to have a relationship that lasts your entire life, what is that founded on — and I think Kash and Ainsley have to explore that,” Rittenhouse, 30, says. (Her arc also throws her into the path of Dermot Mulroney’s wealthy Texan bachelor).

“Anyone who’s seen a romantic comedy knows that things get complicated,” teases Rittenhouse.

Our hearts are ready for this romantic rollercoaster.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/05/22/four-we...lu-first-look/
post #29915 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Production Notes (Streaming)
Amazon's Lord of the Rings Series Adds Game of Thrones Writer Bryan Cogman
By Dave Nemetz, TVLine.com - May 21, 2019

The battle for the Iron Throne may have just ended, but one of its chief architects is already moving on to another fantasy realm altogether.

Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings adaptation is bringing in Game of Thrones writer Bryan Cogman as a consultant, according to our sister site Variety. Cogman will work with JD Payne and Patrick McKay, who were tapped to develop the Rings series for the streamer last summer.

Cogman served as a writer and co-executive producer on Thrones‘ just-concluded eighth and final season, having been with the series since Season 1. Starting out as an assistant for showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss, Cogman went on to pen a total of 11 episodes of Thrones — most recently Season 8’s second installment, “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms.” He also developed a concept for a possible Thrones spinoff that HBO eventually passed on.

Amazon’s LOTR series, first announced back in November 2017 with a multi-season series order, has been largely shrouded in secrecy since then; no casting details or premiere date have yet been revealed. Sir Ian McKellen, though, has hinted that he may reprise his role as wizard Gandalf — which he played in Peter Jackson’s blockbuster Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies — for the Amazon series.

https://tvline.com/2019/05/21/lord-o...me-of-thrones/
post #29916 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Notes (Cable)
Stephen Colbert Scores First ‘Late Show’ Ratings Win Over ‘Tonight Show’ in 24 Years
By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - May 22, 2019

Stephen Colbert has brought the TV ratings crown back to CBS after more than two decades. “The Late Show” host scored the first season-long win among adults 18-49 in 24 years, just barely edging Jimmy Fallon’s “Tonight Show” on NBC.

“Jimmy Kimmel Live” on ABC finished third in the key demo, as well as in total viewers.

In terms of total viewers, Colbert separated himself by Fallon by a pretty wide margin, claiming his third-straight victory there. Below are the Nielsen averages through May 19, 2019.

Adults 18-49 Ratings:
“Late Show”: 0.52
“Tonight Show”: 0.51
“Jimmy Kimmel Live”: 0.38

All three of broadcast’s main late-night shows saw their ratings decline double digits from the previous season. Fallon’s drop was the harshest at 22%, while Jimmy Kimmel fell by 18%. Colbert’s key-demo average slipped just 12% year over year.

Total Viewers:
“Late Show”: 3.766 million
“Tonight Show”: 2.429 million
“Jimmy Kimmel Live”: 2.035 million

In total viewers, Kimmel fell the most on a percentage basis, dropping 10% versus the 2017-18 season. Fallon declined 9% and Colbert dipped 2%.

The last time “The Late Show” won the traditional Nielsen season in the key demo was the 1994-1995 season, which was early into David Letterman’s run.

On the positive side for NBC, Seth Meyers is still beating CBS’ James Corden (and ABC’s “Nightline”) later into the evening. Plus, there’s this.

It’s worth pointing out here that NBC (publicly) focuses on the 52-week September-to-September season. The network’s strong summer primetime programming pretty much always boosts late-night viewership in the warmest months, though the late-night day part could certainly be a different story this time around.

https://www.thewrap.com/stephen-colb...time-24-years/
rcman2 and Panson like this.
post #29917 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes/Q&A (Cable)
‘Vida’: Tanya Saracho on Colorism and the ‘Authenticity Police’
The showrunner of the Starz drama, which returns Thursday, discusses her vision for Season 2.
By Vanessa Erazo, The New York Times - May 22, 2019

Starz’s splashy half-hour drama “Vida” begins with two Mexican-American sisters, Lyn (Melissa Barrera) and Emma (Mishel Prada) Hernandez, returning home to a gentrifying Eastside Los Angeles after the death of their mother. While dealing with their loss and the reality of the large debt their mother left behind, they encounter homophobia, wrestle with sexual identity and wade through the heavy emotional baggage that comes with complicated family relationships. And then there’s the secret wife their mom never told them about.

In its short six-episode first season, “Vida” deftly covered a lot of ground — the show is an intimate look at the experiences of the grandchildren of immigrants and the struggle to balance being both Mexican and American. Season 2, premiering Thursday, delves even deeper into the sisters' performative bicultural identity.

Tanya Saracho, the showrunner, said most of the writers — herself included — have encountered what she’s dubbed the “authenticity police.”

“You’re not brown enough, you’re not light enough, you’re not Mexican enough. Your Spanish is not good enough,” she explained.

On the flip side, “We are steeped in the dominant culture. It reminds us of our otherness every day.”

In a recent phone interview, Saracho discussed being a first-time showrunner, tackling colorism in the new episodes and making her television directing debut. These are edited excerpts from that conversation.

During Season 1, you posted on social media about the uneasiness you felt being a new showrunner. Did you have mentors for that process?
I didn’t have mentors, but I did have people who held my hand. There were technical things, like — what kind of camera [to use]? Those kinds of things that I didn’t know about, I felt that it was O.K. to ask. Even though I’d done a showrunner training program and learned about budgets from John Wells in a one-day workshop, that’s not enough [time]. Everybody around me was a woman and maybe there’s something to that, that I didn’t feel dumb asking my producer Robin Schwartz, “What does that mean?” or “How do we hire a line producer?”

[Starz] said, “Show us what you want it to look like.” I made a whole presentation, but mostly I said, “I want it to feel this way.” Some people, because they’ve been around cameras a long time, they know shorthand they can say on set. I don’t have training in this. Theater is my training.

They did give me a pilot presentation where it felt like a great crash course for showrunning because we had to do everything from top to bottom, hire all the same positions. Aesthetically, it was a time where I could learn to communicate with a director. Because I had a specific way I wanted it to look.

What motivated those choices you made for the visual style?
I wanted it to feel [insidery]. A lot of times when we watch our communities represented on the screen, it feels like a museum piece. Like we’re coming to watch a safari. But that’s an outsider’s point of view.

Also our skin color — I find that TV whitewashes our different shades; they wash the diaspora out of us. Latinx [a gender-neutral term for Latinos] — we are all subtones and undertones, and they just wash it out with a blue, or something bright. Or they brownface us even more. They just saturate us. I wanted it to look like us, but also to give it that prestige of an indie film.

This season, you directed an episode for the first time. Why did you pick the finale?
At the end of the last season, Marta Fernandez, my executive at Starz was like, “You should direct next season.” I was like, “Yeah, I do want to direct like fourth or fifth season.” She was like, “No, just direct next season. You’ll be fine. You will have support.”

When we came to set up the season, the one that made the most sense to direct, so that I could finish my showrunning duties, was the last one. But I was just as scared because I was like, “Hold on, that’s the finale. I don’t want my finale to suck.”

It was like this looming thing at the end. It was a source of anxiety, but then it was the best experience. I’ve directed 16 plays in the theater. And I forgot, “Oh, that’s right. I’ve directed actors. I’ve done that part.” My favorite part was sitting and editing my own stuff. All the stuff I was scared about, like not knowing angles, running out of time for a scene — none of that happened. So I’ve got the bug now. I want to do it again and again. Only for my shows — I don’t want to mess up somebody else’s show — and maybe a movie. Now the possibilities are endless, and I have to thank Marta for making me do it.

Can you talk about the Spanglish that’s used on the show?
There are opinions on the type of Spanglish we use. It’s so complicated because it’s a made-up way of communicating and there’s not one uniform way. There’s no dictionary that you could look at. It’s how we communicate and if you hear us, the writers, like in our texts — the California Spanglish is just very different from the Tex-Mex stuff. Also, it’s generational.

But every character has had a cadence and a rhythm since the beginning. Eddy has a different kind of Spanglish than Mari; Eddy’s older. Eddy still says “carnal,” “firme” — words that Mari should not say.

And with marketing, too. The fact that we get the words desmadre and chingona on the key art and teaser art, to me it’s radical. It’s revolutionary because not even every Latino is going to know what desmadre is —it's something like a “hot mess.” Mexicans and Mexican-Americans haven’t gotten a chance to see themselves like that in key art.

On Latino TV shows, we rarely see Afro-Latinos. Is that something you thought about in regards to casting?
Not for this show. I’ve been very aware of this and I’m in full agreement with you. My next show I’m developing is called “Brujas” and it’s all Afro-Latinx leads. I just had a mini writers’ room for [the pilot] and it was all Afro-Latinx writers.

In the “Brujas” writers’ room, we talked about how proximity to whiteness becomes the goal. Our culture’s colonized. All of us.

Have you heard of the notion of “hay que mejorar la raza,” meaning “You have to better the race”? A lot of Afro-Latinx suffer from their mothers or fathers saying, “Marry lighter, marry white so we can better the race.” We have that in us, in our culture.

In this season of “Vida” I wanted to touch on the notion of being prieto, and how colorism is alive and well in the Latinx community. All that is our shame, our stuff that we haven’t aired out that much. And I love when we get to air it out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/22/a...n-2-starz.html
post #29918 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Notes
Syndication Ratings: ‘Judge Judy’ Takes Advantage of 'Jeopardy!''s Holzhauer Break to Reclaim Lead
By Paige Albiniak, Broadcasting & Cable - May 21, 2019

Without superstar player James Holzhauer, CBS Television Distribution’s Jeopardy! fell back to earth in the week ended May 12 allowing CTD’s Judge Judy to reclaim the syndication lead in the second full week of the May sweep.

Jeopardy! had led the household ratings for three straight weeks as Holzhauer racked up nearly $1.7 million while winning 22 consecutive games through May 3, but episodes featuring the professional gambler were halted from May 6-17 while a previously scheduled teachers’ tournament aired.

Without Holzhauer, Jeopardy! dropped 27% from a 14-year high 8.3 live-plus-same-day household ratings average, according to Nielsen Media Research, to a slightly below average 6.1 for the current week. That placed Jeopardy! well behind Judge Judy’s 7.0 but was still good enough for the game lead, tying Debmar-Mercury’s Family Feud at an unchanged 6.1.

Holzhauer returned Monday, May 20, claiming his 23rd straight game and pushing his total winnings to almost $1.8 million in the final week of the sweep, which runs April 25 - May 22.

Among the other games, CTD’s Wheel of Fortune, which is paired with Jeopardy! in most large markets, skidded 8% to a 5.9, while Disney’s Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, which will end its run after this season, maintained a 1.6 for the third straight week. Entertainment Studios’ Funny You Should Ask was unchanged at a 0.5 for the ninth straight week.

Disney’s renewed viral video show RightThisMinute sped up 8% to a 1.3.

Meanwhile, Judy, the season-to-date syndication leader, retook first place in the household ratings for the 41st time in 44 weeks, with four ties, despite a 3% dip to a 7.0.

CTD’s Hot Bench, the only court show to move higher, rose 5% to a four-week high 2.3 and ranked as daytime’s third-highest show behind Judy and CTD’s talk-show leader Dr. Phil.

Warner Bros.’ People’s Court sagged 7% to a 1.4. Warner Bros.’ Judge Mathis and Twentieth’s Divorce Court were both flat at a 1.0 and 0.7, respectively.

Dr. Phil slipped 7% to a 2.7 but still led the talkers for a 140th consecutive week with five ties, making it almost three years as syndication’s top talker. Among daytime’s key demographic of women 25-54, Phil again led with a 1.1.

Disney’s Live with Kelly and Ryan rallied 5% to a 2.2, extending its run of second-place finishes to 11 straight weeks.

Warner Bros.’ Ellen DeGeneres stayed at a 2.0. Debmar-Mercury’s Wendy Williams climbed 7% to match its season-high 1.5 for the fifth time in ten weeks. NBCU’s Maury, cancelled Steve and Steve Wilkos, CTD’s Rachael Ray and Sony Pictures Television’s Dr. Oz all remained at a 1.3, 1.2, 1.1, 1.0 and 1.0, respectively.

Warner Bros.’ The Real, CTD’s The Doctors, Disney’s Pickler & Ben and NBCU’s out-of-production Jerry Springer all were flat at a 0.7, 0.6, 0.4 and 0.4, respectively. Pickler & Ben, which is produced by E. W. Scripps, was steady for a 16th straight week, while syndicated Springer repeats marked 35th consecutive weeks — or the entire season — at that level.

On the freshman front, CTD’s canceled Face the Truth stayed at a 0.7 for the fourth straight week, while Debmar-Mercury’s renewed Caught in Providence softened 17% to a 0.5.

Magazines were largely steady, with CTD’s Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition, Warner Bros.’ TMZ, and NBCU’s Access all holding at a 2.8, 2.7, 1.3, 1.2, respectively.

Warner Bros.’ Extra was the only magazine to show gains with a 10% spurt to a five-week high 1.1.

CTD’s renewed sophomore, DailyMailTV, gave back 10% to a 0.9. Twentieth’s canceled Page Six TV and Trifecta’s Celebrity Page each remained at a 0.6 and 0.2, respectively.

Elsewhere, NBCU’s Dateline declined 14% to a 1.2 to lead the off-network true-crime series.

SPT’s off-A&E Live PD Police Patrol dropped 9% to a 1.0. Investigation Discovery’s True Crime Files was unchanged at a 0.3.

NBCU’s scripted police procedural Chicago PD added 11% to a 1.0.

Most of the off-net sitcoms were flat for the week. Warner Bros.’ The Big Bang Theory, which ended its primetime run on CBS on Thursday, May 16, and Twentieth’s Last Man Standing both were steady in first and second at a 4.3 and 2.0, respectively. Twentieth’s Modern Family was the category’s exception, sprinting 6% to a 1.8. SPT’s The Goldbergs, Warner Bros.’ Two and a Half Men, Twentieth’s Family Guy, Warner Bros.’ Mike & Molly and Disney’s Black-ish all were unchanged at a 1.4, 1.4, 1.2, 1.1 and 1.1, respectively, while Warner Bros.’ 2 Broke Girls stood pat at a 1.0 for the 16th straight week, tying SPT’s Seinfeld, which held steady for a tenth consecutive week.

https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...o-reclaim-lead
post #29919 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Summer Premiere Dates 2019: New & Returning Series On Broadcast, Cable & Streaming
By Erik Pedersen, Deadline.com - May 22, 2019

The 2018-19 TV season is history, so here’s our annual list of summer premiere dates for new series and new seasons of returning shows. It covers hundreds of broadcast, cable and streaming series bowing from mid-May through August in various dayparts. Please send any additions or adjustments to [email protected]. We’ll update the post regularly as more dates are revealed.

May 22:
The Amazing Race (CBS, Season 31)
One Spring Night (Netflix, new drama series)
The Wrestlers (Viceland, new docuseries)

May 23:
Elementary (CBS, Season 7; final season)
Vida (Starz, Season 2)
The Name of the Rose (SundanceTV, new drama limited series; moved from May 1)
Christina on the Coast (HGTV, new docuseries)

May 24:
She’s Gotta Have It (Netflix, Season 2)
What/If (Netflix, new anthology drama series)
Alta Mar (Netflix, new drama series)

May 26:
Vida (Starz, Season 2)

May 27:
Historical Roasts (Netflix, new comedy series)
The Hot Zone (National Geographic Channel, new drama miniseries)
Dirty Mudder Truckers (Discovery, new docuseries)

May 28:
America’s Got Talent (NBC, Season 14)
Songland (NBC, new songwriting competition series)
Blood & Treasure (CBS, new drama series; time slot premiere)
Animal Kingdom (TNT, Season 4)
Pure (WGN America, Season 2)
Chrisley Knows Best (USA, Season 7)
Guardians of the Glades (Discovery, new docuseries)
Sweet Home Sextuplets (TLC, Season 2)
America Unearthed (Travel Channel, Season 4)

May 29:
The InBetween (NBC, new drama series)
American Ninja Warrior (NBC, Season 8; moves to regular slot June 10)
MasterChef (Fox, Season 10)
Animal Kingdom (TNT, Season 4)
Archer: 1999 (FXX, Season 10)
Property Brothers: Forever Home (HGTV, new home-renovation series)

May 30:
Lip Sync Battle (Paramount Network, Season 5B)
How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast) (Netflix, new German drama series)

May 31:
My Next Guest Needs No Introduction (Netflix, Season 2)
Good Omens (Amazon Prime, new dramedy series)
When They See Us (Netflix, new documentary limited series)
Unidentified: Inside America’s UFO Investigation (History, new documentary miniseries)
Swamp Thing (DC Universe, new drama series)

June 1:
Iyanla: Fix My Live (OWN, Sea on 10)
To Have & to Hold: Charlotte (OWN, new docuseries)
Dodo Heroes (Animal Planet, Season 2)

June 2:
Burden of Truth (The CW, Season 2)
Fear the Walking Dead (AMC, Season 5)
NOS4A2 (AMC, new horror drama series)
Perpetual Grace, LTD. (Epix, new drama series)
Luther (BBC America, Season 5)
The Weekly (FX, new docuseries; June 3 on Hulu)
Marriage Rescue (Paramount Network, new docuseries)
American Princess (Lifetime, new dramedy series)
Southern Charm: New Orleans (Bravo, Season 2)
Raising Wild (Discovery, new docuseries)
Death Row Stories (HLN, Season 4)
Secrets of the Zoo (Nat Geo Wild, Season 2)
Wedding Cake Championship (Food Network, Season 2)

June 3:
So You Think You Can Dance (Fox, Season 16; moved from June 10)
90 Day Fiancé: The Other Way (TLC, new docuseries)
Below Deck Mediterranean (Bravo, Season 4)
Wedding Cake Championship (Food Network, Season 2)
Breaking Homicide (Investigation Discovery, Season 2)
People Magazine Investigates: Cults (Investigation Discovery, Season 2)
Treehouse Masters (Discovery Family, new docuseries)

June 4:
The Radkes (USA, new comedy series)
The Oslo Killing (Sundance Now, new true-crime series)

June 5:
The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu, Season 3)
Black Mirror (Netflix, Season 5)
Grown-ish (Freeform, Season 2B)
Lone Star Justice (Investigation Discovery, new true-crime docuseries)

June 6:
3% (Netflix, Season 3)
Queen of the South (USA, Season 4)
Mountain Men (History, Season 8)
Alone (History, Season 6)
Hero Ink (A&E, new docuseries)
Unspouse My House (HGTV, new docuseries)

June 7:
Masters of Illusion (The CW, Season 6)
The Big Stage (The CW, new talent/variety series)
Armistead Maupin’s Tales of the City (Netflix, new drama limited series)
Designated Survivor (Netflix, Season 3)
The Chef Show (Netflix, new cooking docuseries)
BattleBots (Discovery, Season 2; Science Channel premiere June 12)

June 9:
The 73rd Annual Tony Awards (CBS, live awards special)
Celebrity Family Feud (ABC, Season 5)
The $100,000 Pyramid (ABC, Season 4)
To Tell the Truth (ABC, Season 5)
Big Little Lies (HBO, Season 2)
Claws (TNT, Season 3)
Ripley’s Believe It or Not! (Travel Channel, new series reboot)
The Great Food Truck Race (Food Network, Season 10)
Carnival Eats (Cooking Channel, Season 7)
Legends of the Deep (Science Channel, new docuseries)
sMothered (TLC, new docuseries)
Sugar and Toys (Fuse, new animated late-night series)

June 10:
American Ninja Warrior (NBC, Season 8; time slot premiere)
Dateline NBC (NBC, Season 27)
Kate Plus Date (TLC, new docuseries)
Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader? (Nickelodeon, new game show series revival)
44 Cats (Nickelodeon, new animated series)
Best Ever Trivia Show (Game Show Network, new game show series)

June 11:
Pose (FX, Season 2; moved from June 9)
Ink Master: Battle of the Sexes (Paramount Network, Season 12)
Outdaughtered (TLC, Season 4)
Most Expensivist (Viceland, Season 3)

June 12:
Press Your Luck (ABC, new game show series revival)
Card Sharks (ABC, new game show series revival)
Match Game (ABC, Season 4)
First Responders Live (Fox, new docuseries)
Queen Sugar (OWN, Season 4)
Younger (TV Land, Season 6)
Krypton (Syfy, Season 2)
BattleBots (Science Channel, Season 2; network premiere)
Savage Builds (Discovery/Science Channel, new docuseries)
Deal or No Deal (CNBC, Season 6)

June 13:
Baskets (FX, Season 4)
Strange Angel (CBS All Access, Season 2)
MTV’s The Real World (Facebook Watch, reality series revival)

June 14:
Absentia (Amazon Prime, Season 2)
Too Old to Die Young (Amazon Prime, new drama series)
Leila (Netflix, new Indian drama series)
Los Espookys (HBO, new comedy series)
Jett (Cinemax, new drama series)
Kevin Hart Presents: Hart of the City (Comedy Central, Season 3)
Love After Lockup: Life After Lockup (WEtv, new docuseries premiere)
Just Roll With It (Disney Channel, new comedy series sneak preview; moves to regular slot June 19)

June 15:
All That (Nickelodeon, new sketch-comedy series revival)
Endeavour (PBS, Season 6)
Frankie Drake Mysteries (Ovation, new drama series)

June 16:
Instinct (CBS, Season 2)
City on a Hill (Showtime, new drama series)
Euphoria (HBO, new drama series)
Apollo’s Moon Shot (Smithsonian Channel, new documentary miniseries)
Giada in Italy (Food Network, Season 3)
Atomic Age Declassified (Smithsonian Channel, new documentary miniseries)
Pirata & Capitano (Discovery Family, new docuseries)

June 17:
Grand Hotel (ABC, new drama series)
Whose Line Is It Anyway? (The CW, Season 7)
Penn & Teller: Fool Us (The CW, Season 6)
Bunk’d (Disney Channel, Season 4)
Amphibia (Disney Channel, new children’s animated series)

June 18:
Good Trouble (Freeform, Season 2)
The Detour (TBS, Season 4)
Ambitions (OWN, new drama series)
Drunk History (Comedy Central, Season 6)
Alternatino with Arturo Castro (Comedy Central, new sketch comedy series)
Hurricane Man (Science Channel, new docuseries)

June 19:
Yellowstone (Paramount Network, Season 2)
Just Roll with It (Disney Channel, new comedy series official premiere)

June 20:
The Wall (NBC, Season 3)
Holey Moley (ABC, new competition game show series)
Family Food Fight (ABC, new competition game show series)
Reef Break (ABC, new drama series)
Spin the Wheel (Fox, new game show series)
MasterChef (Fox, Season 10; time slot premiere)
Raven’s Home (Disney Channel, Season 4)
Rosehaven (SundanceTV, Season 3)
Riviera (SundanceTV, Season 2)

June 21:
Mr. Iglesias (Netflix, new comedy series)
Dark (Netflix, Season 2)
Andi Mack (Disney Channel, Season 3B; final season)
Ghosts of Morgan City (Travel Channel, new docuseries)

June 22:
Lego City Adventures (Nickelodeon, new animated comedy series)

June 23:
Yellowstone Live (National Geographic Channel, Season 2)
Close Up (SundanceTV, Season 5)

June 24:
Years and Years (HBO, new drama limited series)
Legion (FX, Season 3; final season)
The Hills: New Beginnings (MTV, new docuseries revival)

June 25:
Big Brother (CBS, Season 21)

June 27:
O Escolhido (Netflix, new Brazilian drama series)

June 30:
What Just Happened??! with Fred Savage (Fox, new comedy series)
The Loudest Voice (Showtime, new drama limited series)
The Rook (Starz, new drama series)

June TBA:
Arthdal Chronicles (Netflix, new drama series)

July 2:
Young Justice: Outsiders (DC Universe, Season 1B)

July 4:
Stranger Things (Netflix, Season 3)

July 6:
Supersize My Pool (HGTV, new docuseries)
Pools Off the Deep End (HGTV, new docuseries)
Pool Hunters (HGTV, new docuseries)
Pool Kings (HGTV, new docuseries)

July 7:
The Movies (CNN, new documentary series)

July 9:
Love Island (CBS, new dating competition series)
Bring the Funny (NBC, new stand-up comedy competition series)
The Disappearance (WGN America, new drama series)

July 10:
Snowfall (FX, Season 3)
Harlots (Hulu, Season 3)
Florida Girls (Pop, new comedy series)

July 11:
Hollywood Game Night (NBC, Season 6)
The Outpost (The CW, Season 2)
Siren (Freeform, Season 2B)
Dr. Pimple Popper (TLC, Season 2)
Our Wedding Story (UPtv, Season 2)
Crazy Beautiful Weddings (UPtv, Season 2)

July 14:
Sweetbitter (Starz, Season 2)
Grantchester (PBS, Season 4)

July 15:
Peyton’s Places (ESPN+, new monthly documentary series)

July 16:
T-Pain’s School of Business (Fuse, Season 2)

July 17:
Suits (USA Network, Season 9; final season)
Pearson (USA Network, new drama series)

July 19:
La Casa de Papel (Netflix, Season 3)

July 24:
South Side (Comedy Central, new comedy series)

July 25:
Chasing the Cure (TNT/TBS, new medical docuseries)
Cash Pad (CNBC, new docuseries)
Listing Impossible (CNBC, new docuseries)

July 26:
Orange Is the New Black (Netflix, Season 7; final season)
Veronica Mars (Hulu, Season 4; new network)
Light as a Feather (Hulu, Season 2)
The Boys (Amazon Prime, new drama series)

July 28:
Pennyworth (Epix, new drama series)

July 29:
Bachelor in Paradise (ABC, Season 6; moved from August 7)

July 31:
Four Weddings and a Funeral (Hulu, new comedy series)
Sherman’s Showcase (IFC, new variety/sketch series)
No One Saw a Thing (SundanceTV, new true-crime docuseries)

July TBA:
Designated Survivor: 60 Days (Netflix, new Korean drama series)
David Spade Untitled Late-Night Show (Comedy Central, new nightly pop culture series)
The Family Chantel (TLC, new docuseries)
Gordon Ramsay: Uncharted (National Geographic Channel, new docuseries)

August 7:
BH90210 (Fox, new drama limited series)
Castaways (ABC, new reality competition series)

August 12:
The Terror: Infamy (AMC, Season 2)
Lodge 49 (AMC, Season 2)
American Greed (CNBC, Season 13)

August 25:
Power (Starz, Season 6; final season)

August 28:
Jay Leno’s Garage (CNBC, Season 5)

August 30:
The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (Netflix, new drama series)

August TBA:
Succession (Hulu, Season 2)
Vagabond (Netflix, new Korean drama series)
Growing Up Chrisley (USA, Season 2)
David Makes Man (OWN, new drama series)
Homicide Hunter: Lt. Joe Kenda (Investigation Discovery, Season 9; final season)

September 3:
Valley of the Damned (Investigation Discovery, new true-crime docuseries)

September 19:
Five Day Biz Fix (CNBC, new docuseries; working title)
The Deed: Chicago (CNBC, new docuseries)

Summer TBA:
Pandora (The CW, drama series)
Bulletproof (The CW, new British drama series)
Hypnotize Me (The CW, new game show series)
Mysteries Decoded (The CW, new docuseries)
Red Bull Peaking (The CW, new extreme-sports docuseries)
Get Shorty (Epix, Season 3)
Adam Ruins Everything (TruTV, Season 3B)
Good Eats (Food Network, Season 15)
BBQ Brawl: Flay v. Symon (Food Network, new cooking competition series)
Restaurant: Impossible (Food Network, Season 14B)
Twisted Sisters (Investigation Discovery, Season 2)
Garage Squad (Motor Trend, Season 6)
London Kills (Acorn, Season 2)

https://deadline.com/2019/05/summer-...ng-1202509777/
post #29920 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Business Notes
Comcast is reportedly developing a device that would track your bathroom habits
By Christina Farr, CNBC.com - May 21, 2019

Comcast is working on an in-home device to monitor people’s health, and aims to begin pilot-testing it later this year.

A team under Sumit Nagpal, a senior vice president and general manager of health innovation at Comcast who previously worked at the consulting firm Accenture, has been working on the device for more than a year, according to two people with direct knowledge. Nagpal joined Comcast in February of this year, according to LinkedIn, to build a strategy and a team for bringing the new health hardware to market.

These people asked not to be named because they were not authorized to speak on behalf of Comcast, and Comcast declined to comment.

The device will monitor people’s basic health metrics using ambient sensors, with a focus on whether someone is making frequent trips to the bathroom or spending more time than usual in bed. Comcast is also building tools for detecting falls, which are common and potentially fatal for seniors, the people said.

Comcast plans to offer the device and related service to at-risk people, including seniors and people with disabilities, but the timing, pricing and roll-out plan have not been finalized. It will start to experiment with pilots, which are not limited to Comcast customers, by the end of 2019, with potential commercial release in 2020.

Unlike most home speakers, the device won’t be positioned as a communications or assistant tool, and won’t be able to do things like search the web or turn lights on and off. But it will have a personality like Alexa and it will be able to make emergency phone calls in the case of a health event, the people said.

The device would be a first for Comcast in health, but it already offers hardware and services focused on home security and automation. Comcast has experience in voice with a remote that responds to commands, which people mostly use to search for TV shows and movies. The company began exploring opportunities in the health sector a few years ago, and last year set up a partnership with insurer Independence Health Group, which is initially focused on the group’s employees.

The move would bring Comcast into competition with a number of technology companies, including Google, Amazon and Apple, which have also explored how to help older people “age in place,” or live independently for as long as possible. Google is looking at using its Nest and Google Home devices in senior living facilities, Apple added fall detection and heart health tracking to its smartwatch, and Amazon has been exploring opportunities in tech for the growing aging population for several years.

Comcast might also have an edge with this population because of its access to the home through its cable and broadband business, which involves technicians showing up to people’s homes for installation and upgrades. In theory, technicians could set up the device during those visits.

In addition to developing new hardware, Comcast has been in talks with several large hospitals, including Rush in Chicago, said a person familiar with the conversation. The discussions with Comcast have centered around using the device to ensure that patients don’t end up back in the hospital after they’ve been discharged. Increasingly, hospitals are getting penalized by the federal government for failing to ensure that patients don’t end up right back in the emergency room, and are looking into tools to monitor patients remotely.

Disclosure: Comcast owns NBCUniversal, the parent company of CNBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/comc...azon-echo.html
post #29921 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Washington Notes (Mobile)
US Justice Dept staff recommends blocking T-Mobile-Sprint deal, sources say
By Reuters.com Staff - May 22, 2019

The U.S. Justice Department’s antitrust division staff has recommended the agency file a lawsuit to block T-Mobile US’s $26 billion acquisition of smaller rival Sprint, according to two sources familiar with the matter.

The final decision on whether to allow two of the four nationwide wireless carriers to merge now lies with political appointees at the department, headed by antitrust division chief Makan Delrahim.

Sprint share prices fell 6.2% in premarket trading.

The Justice Department is expected to make a final decision in about a month, the two sources said.

But while Justice Department staff balked at the merger, the Federal Communications Commission indicated on Monday that it had reached an agreement in principle with the companies to allow the deal after the companies agreed to sell Sprint’s prepaid brand Boost Mobile.

Justice Department staff at the antitrust division, who remain in their jobs even when administrations change, have long been expected to be skeptical of the proposed merger.

They fear that after the deal T-Mobile will no longer aggressively seek to cut prices and improve service to woo customers away from market leaders Verizon Communications and AT&T.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/22/just...t-reuters.html
post #29922 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter

TV/Critic's Notes (Cable)
Watching ‘Killing Eve’ go down the tubes
By Matthew Gilbert, Boston Globe - May 22, 2019

It was a challenge being a “Game of Thrones” fan during the last season. But the Thronies have had it a lot easier than the Eve-ies, the fans of “Killing Eve,” the BBC America and AMC series that wraps season 2 on Sunday at 8 p.m. At least “Game of Thrones” is over; “Killing Eve” has only just begun.

I can’t remember the last time I watched a good show go down the tubes so quickly — maybe “Heroes,” or “Glee,” or “Prison Break.” After a thoroughly entertaining and clever first season, “Killing Eve” has succumbed to self-parody. Maybe it’s because writer Phoebe Waller-Bridge didn’t return for the second round; maybe it’s because the cat-and-mouse concept didn’t have enough substance to hold up.

What seemed meant as an undercurrent in season 1 — Eve’s deep attraction to the danger represented by Villanelle — has become awkwardly explicit. And while I generally enjoy Sandra Oh, she doesn’t make Eve’s obsession quite believable. So Villanelle
Spoiler!

The only reason I haven’t given up is Jodie Comer, who is endlessly fun to watch. Her bratty boredom and her ability to change accents and attitudes instantly are magical, so much so that at times she makes me think of Tatiana Maslany in “Orphan Black.”

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/201...vlJ/story.html
post #29923 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Syndication)
Ellen DeGeneres Extends Daytime Talk Show Run Through 2022
By Joe Otterson, Variety.com - May 21, 2019

Ellen DeGeneres is sticking with her daytime talk show.

DeGeneres announced Tuesday that she has signed a new deal to continue hosting “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” through 2022. There had been rumors for some time that DeGeneres was planning to leave the show when her current contract was up in 2020, something she leaned into when making the announcement to her studio audience in a video released Tuesday.

“[From] the beginning I said this show was going to be like a relationship,” DeGeneres said. “We’ve been through the good, the bad, the ‘Fifty Shades of Grey’ phase. It’s been a lot of fun and 16 years is a pretty good run. Sometimes in a relationship, you need to take a break. But I don’t. You’re stuck with me. I just signed for three more years.”

Watch the full video below. [CLICK LINK]

According to sources, DeGeneres now has a large ownership stake in the show, having been granted more points with every contract.

DeGeneres, Mary Connelly, Ed Glavin, Andy Lassner, Kevin A. Leman II and Derek Westervelt serve as executive producers. Originating from Warner Bros. Studios in Burbank, “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” is produced by A Very Good Production and WAD Productions, Inc. in association with Telepictures, and is distributed by Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution. The show has already been licensed by the NBC Owned Television Stations (10 stations) and Hearst Television (22 stations) through the 2021-2022 season.

“Ellen is, quite simply, a force of nature,” said Peter Roth, president and chief content officer for Warner Bros. Television Group. “Her energy, intelligence, kindness and creativity know no bounds. Whether it’s her instant connection to her guests on her flagship talk show, her warm and funny hosting on ‘Game of Games,’ or the infectious enthusiasm she shares in producing everything from ‘Little Big Shots’ to the animated antics of ‘Green Eggs and Ham,’ it’s an honor to work alongside her. We’re thrilled to continue this fun and friendly journey with her.”

DeGeneres also currently hosts the NBC series “Ellen’s Game of Games,” which features the comedian and daytime host playing supersized versions of the games she has popularized through her talk show. NBC also announced that she will host three holiday specials titled “Ellen’s Greatest Night of Giveaways” later this year.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/ell...22-1203223116/
post #29924 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Business Notes (Gaming)
Old Rivals Microsoft and Sony Team Up to Take on New Rivals
By Lisa Marie Segarra, Fortune.com - May 22, 2019

In an unlikely pairing, rivals Microsoft and Sony announced last week that they would cooperate on video gaming and cloud data services. The partnership, which would have been inconceivable years ago, comes as both companies jockey for an early lead in cloud gaming, an emerging business that frees gamers from having to download game software onto their consoles.

Instead, gaming fans can pay to stream games to any device, similar to how tens of millions subscribers watch Netflix.

Legacy gaming companies like Microsoft, the maker of the Xbox console, and Sony, which sells PlayStation consoles, are feeling the pressure. The shift to streaming risks hurting their long-successful console businesses while unleashing a wave of new rivals like Google that have debuted or plan to debut their own game services.

Although Microsoft and Sony have revealed few details about their alliance, they did say they would collaborate on several fronts. Those include artificial intelligence and streamed consumer entertainment, but there were no additional information.

However, Piers Harding-Rolls, an analyst with IHS Markit, says the Microsoft-Sony agreement is less about collaboration and more about the nuts and bolts of business, including Sony outsourcing its sizable data center needs to Microsoft. The move frees Sony from having to worry about building costly data centers to handle the expected influx of gamers using its streaming service.

“This is, underneath, a relatively straightforward deal in that Sony has agreed to give some of its infrastructure business to Microsoft,” said Harding-Rolls.

Sony declined to comment for this story.

Last year, Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer told the audience at the E3 gaming conference that his company planned to push into game streaming. Its service, which is to begin a public test later this year, would work with Xbox, PC, and phones.

Meanwhile, Sony has said nothing about its plans.

Microsoft and Sony have been battling over the video game market for nearly two decades. Microsoft got started in 2001 when it debuted Xbox, challenging Sony’s existing console along with those of other competitors like Nintendo.

The latest partnership is even more surprising considering Microsoft and Sony are preparing for yet another battle with their next generation of consoles. Those are expected within the next two years, though no dates have been set.

Despite all the attention on game streaming, the technology, infrastructure, and public is not quite ready.

“We’re not going to have a wholesale transition to cloud-based gaming services at all. I think it’s a much slower transition than people perhaps are considering,” Harding-Rolls says.

Furthermore, Microsoft and Sony are facing an even greater threat: Google. Google’s announcement in March about introducing its own game streaming service, Stadia, upended the cloud gaming landscape. With its deep pockets and existing cloud infrastructure, Google could be a serious threat to legacy gaming companies.

Microsoft head of gaming Spencer’s response to the Google Stadia announcement was simple: Wait for E3, in June. Microsoft is expected to provide more information there about its game streaming plans.

In any case, the game-streaming market, like movie streaming, is expected to take years to develop. But companies must prepare early or risk being left behind.

“You can see that you have to start preparing now for what is to come in the future in five to 10 years,” Harding-Rolls says. “You need to be developing and positioning yourself strongly.”

http://www.fortune.com/2019/05/22/mi...-cloud-gaming/
post #29925 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
Bianculli's Best Bets
By David Bianculli, TVWorthWatching.com - May 22, 2019

LIVE IN FRONT OF A STUDIO AUDIENCE: NORMAN LEAR’S “ALL IN THE FAMILY” AND “THE JEFFERSONS”
ABC, 8:00 p.m. ET
SPECIAL PREMIERE:
For a TV history professor, this is the mother lode: An ABC experiment in which episodes of two of Norman Lear’s groundbreaking 1970s comedies, All in the Family and its spinoff The Jeffersons, are performed and broadcast live. I like the casting – Woody Harrelson as Archie Bunker and Jamie Foxx as George Jefferson – because both have solid experience in sitcoms. And you couldn’t find a better sitcom director than James Burrows, period. Norman Lear and Jimmy Kimmel (whose idea this was, though it long post-dated my own concept for Rerun Theatre) host. For my full reaction to this upcoming production on NPR’s Fresh Air with Terry Gross, visit the Fresh Air website later today, or listen to today’s broadcast on your local public radio station.

ALL ABOUT “ALL IN THE FAMILY” AND “THE JEFFERSONS"
ABC, 9:31 p.m. ET
SPECIAL PREMIERE:
After ABC’s 90-minute live special, in which scripts from vintage 1970s sitcoms are performed again with a new cast for a new generation, this special provides context and history regarding former hit CBS sitcoms All in the Family and The Jeffersons. You can get similar information and enlightenment in my TV History & Appreciation of the ‘60s and ‘70s classes at Rowan University – but ABC doesn’t require you to pay tuition. Not yet, anyway.

WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS
FX, 10:00 p.m. ET

Tonight’s episode is about the staging of the Biannual Vampire Orgy. I’m just guessing here, but I’m expecting something a lot less sexy than True Blood.

BROCKMIRE
IFC, 10:00 p.m. ET
SEASON FINALE:
This Season 3 finale finds Brockmire (Hank Azaria) back at the big leagues at last – but that doesn’t mean it’s for long, or that it goes well. Again, I’m just guessing… but given Brockmire’s personal foibles and track record, it’s an educated guess.

http://www.tvworthwatching.com/
post #29926 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Technology/Washington Notes (Analysis)
The case against Huawei, explained
By Russell Brandom, TheVerge.com - May 22, 2019

This morning, ARM announced that it was cutting ties with Huawei, in the interest of “complying with all of the latest regulations set forth by the U.S. government.” It’s a catastrophe for Huawei’s device business, halting its access to current and future chip designs and coming on the heels of similar breaks from Google and Microsoft. Huawei is in deep, deep trouble, and we still don’t have a clear picture of why.

Security experts have been warning about Huawei for more than a year, but it’s only in the last week that those warnings have escalated into an all-out trade blockade on the company’s US partners. There’s never been a full accounting of why the US government believes Huawei is such a threat, in large part because of national security interests, which means much of the evidence remains secret. But it’s worth tracing out exactly where the concerns are coming from and where they could go from here.

THERE ARE REAL AND SERIOUS CONCERNS ABOUT HUAWEI PROVIDING CELLULAR NETWORK GEAR

The first wave of concerns about Huawei had more to do with cell towers than cellphones. Huawei is one of the main suppliers for network infrastructure (basically, the hardware that your phone connects to), alongside Ericsson and Qualcomm. As carriers raced to build out 5G networks, lawmakers rushed to keep Huawei hardware out of whatever was being built.

There was never any hard evidence of backdoors in Huawei’s cell towers — but, as hawks saw it, there didn’t need to be. As a hardware provider, Huawei needs to be able to deploy software the same way Apple deploys iOS updates. But as long as there was a pipeline from Huawei’s China headquarters to cell towers in the US, there would be a strong risk of Chinese surveillance agencies using it to sneak malware into the network, whether they did it with Huawei’s help or by hacking themselves into the middle. As intelligence agencies saw it, the risk was just too great.

That might not seem fair, but it’s at least a logical response to a real concern. Cell networks are a very tempting target for espionage, and China has a long history of this kind of spying.

THE BAN ON LICENSING ANDROID AND OTHER COMPONENTS SEEMS MORE LIKE A TRADE ISSUE, NOT A SECURITY ISSUE

But what’s happened over the past week goes a lot further and doesn’t make quite as much sense. The order handed down on Friday bans US companies from doing business with Huawei, which resulted in Google and a string of other companies cutting ties. But that rule has to do with what US companies sell, not what they buy. Because Huawei doesn’t sell phones in the US, the most popular Huawei products affected would never be shipped here.

As a result, it’s hard to see the latest action as protecting any national security interests. Revoking Huawei’s Android license doesn’t matter for US network equipment, nor does Huawei’s access to ARM chip designs. Instead, it feels like Huawei’s device business has become collateral damage in a broader fight over 5G.

By hastily invoking emergency powers, the White House has largely avoided making a public case for why the blacklisting was necessary — a move that’s already causing political damage. Still, the simplest explanation is that Huawei has behaved too badly to be trusted after years of quiet intellectual property violations and trade secrets theft.

But if that’s the problem, it could set a troubling standard for other Chinese companies in the future, particularly given the broad scope of the executive order. It made sense to target the infrastructure ban at Huawei since it was the only Chinese company that could plausibly build network infrastructure for the US. But if the concern is predatory behavior by Chinese companies, there are lots of other outfits that could be exposed. The same Corning glass that’s shipped to Huawei is being shipped to Xiaomi; the same Intel processor in Huawei’s MateBook is in lots of Lenovo laptops, too. The question is how far the White House wants to push its case and how China will respond.

For more, watch the video below. [CLICK LINK]

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/22/1...t-arm-security
post #29927 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes/Q&A (Cable)
‘The Hot Zone’s’ Julianna Margulies takes on a deadly virus in National Geographic miniseries
By Greg Braxton, Los Angeles Times - May 22, 2019

Julianna Margulies was terrified.

The actress, who has built a roster of formidable characters in her versatile career, including the dedicated nurse Carol Hathaway in “ER” and courageous attorney Alicia Florrick in “The Good Wife,” felt out of control at one point in taking on the role of Lt. Col. Nancy Jaax, based on the real-life, no-nonsense scientist at the center of a life-threatening battle in National Geographic’s miniseries “The Hot Zone.”

In the miniseries, which centers on the outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus on U.S. soil, Margulies donned a 50-pound hazmat suit for a critical scene in which her character takes a cadet into a Biosafety Level 4 laboratory, the most complex and dangerous biohazard level.

Although the actress channels Jaax’s firm authority in the scene, she said she felt just the opposite during filming.

“I’m embarrassed to say it, but I actually panicked,” Margulies said in a recent interview at a West Los Angeles hotel as she sat alongside Jaax. “The suits were really scary. When they zipped me in, I felt alienated from the planet.”

Interjected Jaax: “You kind of are.”

“I don’t like not having control of my physical body,” Margulies said. “When they zipped me, all I could hear was the whir of the fans in the suit that are there to cool you down. It was very scary.”

Viewers tuning into “The Hot Zone, which starts May 27 and runs for three consecutive nights, are likely to experience several other frightening moments during the project, which is based on the bestselling nonfiction book by Richard Preston. The story revolves around a scientific facility near Washington, D.C., where in 1989 the deadly Ebola virus made its first known appearance in the U.S. Jaax led the discovery and eventual containment of the filovirus, which at the time had a fatality rate of up to 90%.

“It’s a thriller until you realize it’s real, and then it becomes a horror movie,” Margulies said.

Also starring in the miniseries is Noah Emmerich (“The Americans”), Topher Grace (“That ’70s Show,” “BlacKkKlansman”), Liam Cunningham (Davos Seaworth in “Game of Thrones”) and James D’Arcy (“Homeland,” “Agent Carter”).

Executive producers Brian Peterson and Kelly Souders said that while they want viewers to be entertained by “The Hot Zone,” they also have a larger objective.

“We really want to highlight with families and kids the idea that scientists are heroes as much, if not more, than other people in society,” Peterson said. “We want to draw attention to these amazing selfless acts these scientists do that protect millions, and even billions of people.”

Added Souders: “Hopefully it will make people aware of the massive looming threats out there that we tend to ignore in our daily lives.”

Casting Margulies as Jaax was an important element of making “The Hot Zone” effective, they said.

“Nancy is a soldier, and we needed someone who could show strength and confidence and command,” Souders said. “Nancy is also a mother to two kids, so we also wanted to show that lens. Juliana is an amazing actress, and people love to watch her.”

Margulies and Jaxx displayed a palpable chemistry as they discussed the project, saying they hoped viewers would be both thrilled and educated by the miniseries.

Nancy, what was it like for you to go back and experience this?
Jaax:
It brings a lot back. What made it so [different] was that this had never happened before in the United States. There were no protocols. There were lots of people who worked really hard, and we pulled it off.

Do you remember how scary it was? What you went through looks so harrowing.
Jaax:
People always ask me, “Were you scared? Were you horrified?” But we were excited. That’s our job, and that’s what we love to do. You could have a 30-year career and not find a new virus. It’s pretty cool. Obviously you don’t want anyone to get sick, but we were excited doing our job.

Julianna, what drew you to the project and playing Nancy?
Margulies:
It was a plethora of things. They sent me the first four scripts and I couldn’t put them down. I realized how ignorant I was of this whole world. I didn’t read about it. I didn’t know about it. I was in college. I had heard about Ebola in Africa, but I never dove deep into how dangerous it was, and that it’s a global issue not a singular nation’s issue. I was amazed that something like this happened on U.S. soil and that no one knew about it. Also, the fight was led by a woman. That was remarkable to me.

Jaax: It was a lot of fun. It really was.

Margulies: Without sounding judgmental, what I don’t understand are these science deniers who have come to power and think they know better than the professionals. It doesn’t make sense. Not when we have these capable and professional scientists giving us the answers. If I can do anything to help their cause, I want to do that. If some of the 4 million people who watched “The Good Wife” watch this and we can reach one who will wake up and say, “What’s going on? What can I do to help?” I will be pleased.

Nancy, what do you think of how the miniseries handled the details?
Jaax:
The scene where Julianna is taking the cadet into biohazard level 4, that’s exactly what we do and Julianna did a tremendously good job. That’s how you teach it — you can’t give people a piece of paper. They have to see what you do. She did an awesome job.

Margulies: It was daunting. These scientists speak a different language, and I don’t know that language.

What was it like to meet Nancy after you learned you would play her?
Margulies:
We just met about a week ago! We only talked on the phone for 20 minutes. But we texted.

Jaax: And a few emails.

Margulies: I wanted her blessing. I didn’t want the scientific community to hate our show, to say, “Oh, that would never happen.” I asked her what it was like, things like what she wore. Nancy never wore a skirt. The labs are so cold you can’t do anything in a skirt.

Jaax: Everyone in my family said she got the character spot-on. She didn’t show any awkwardness. When your kids watch and they say about Julianna, “That’s you, mom. You’re a badass,” that feels good.

Julianna, you played a nurse on “ER” and you had a lot of medical and technical dialogue. How was playing a scientist different?
Margulies:
It was very different. On “ER,” I was dealing with human beings. I wasn’t dealing with tissue on a slab of glass. I wasn’t in a lab in a hazmat suit. I don’t understand pathogens. On “ER,” it was easier to navigate. Here, I felt completely and utterly at sea until I learned the monologues. And there were a lot of monologues.

I know you both want viewers to be thrilled and entertained, but is there a bigger message?
Jaax:
I hope that viewers understand how complicated and dangerous this work is, and how we really need people who can deal with it. This research is critically important. We send soldiers all over the world and they’re exposed to this stuff, so it’s our job to see they don’t get sick from it. Some people use these agents for harm. They can be used for bioweapons. People need to be aware of that.

Margulies: My first hope is that people realize that this really happened. My second hope is that these researchers get the kind of financial support they really need. And this is also a great message for girls, to see that women were on the front lines for this.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...522-story.html
post #29928 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes
On The Air Tonight
WEDNESDAY Network Primetime/Late Night Options
(All shows are in HD unless noted; start times are ET. Network late night shows are preceded by late local news)
From Zap2it.com's TV Grid - May 22, 2019

ABC:
8PM - Live in Front of a Studio Audience: Norman Lear's "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons" (93 min., LIVE)
9:33PM - All About "All in the Family" and "The Jeffersons" (Special, 27 min.)
10PM - Whiskey Cavalier (Series Finale)
11:35PM - Jimmy Kimmel Live! (Guest host Lena Waithe; John Travolta; Ella Bleu Travolta; Lala Milan; Chika performs)
12:37AM - Nightline

CBS:
8PM - The Amazing Race
9PM - The Amazing Race
10:01PM - SEAL Team (Season Finale)
11:35PM - The Late Show With Stephen Colbert (Democratic presidential candidate Kamala Harris; Kaitlyn Dever)
12:37AM - The Late Late Show With James Corden (Elizabeth Banks; Bradley Whitford; David Tennant; Billy Ray Cyrus performs)

NBC:
8PM - Chicago Med (Season Finale)
9PM - Chicago Fire (Season Finale)
10PM - Chicago P.D. (Season Finale)
11:34PM - The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon (Millie Bobby Brown; comic Jeff Ross; screenwriter Richard Curtis; Lang Lang performs)
12:37AM - Late Night With Seth Meyers (John Lithgow; Beanie Feldstein; Democratic presidential candidate Julián Castro; Sebastian Thomson sits in with the 8G Band)
1:38AM - Last Call With Carson Daly (Logan Browning; Durand Jones & The Indications perform; Jharrel Jerome)

FOX:
8PM - MasterChef Celebrity Family Showdown: Part Two
9PM - Gordon Ramsay's 24 Hours to Hell and Back
(R)

THE CW:
8PM - My Last Days
9PM - Jane the Virgin

PBS:
8PM - Nature - Equus: Story of the Horse: Chasing the Wind
(R)
9PM - NOVA: Lost Viking Army
10PM - Breakthrough: The Ideas That Changed the World - The Smartphone (Season Finale)

UNIVISION:
8PM - La Reina Soy Yo
9PM - La Rosa de Guadalupe
10PM - Por Amar Sin Ley

TELEMUNDO:
8PM - Un Poquito Tuyo
9PM - Betty en NY
10PM - La Reina del Sur

A&E:
8PM - Wahlburgers: Wahl of Fame
9PM - Wahlburgers
10:01PM - The Employables (63 min.)

ESPN 2:
8PM - USL Soccer: Nashville SC at Birmingham Legion FC (LIVE)

FREEFORM:
8PM - Pretty Little Liars: The Perfectionists

HISTORY:
8PM - Forged in Fire: Cutting Deeper
9PM - Forged in Fire (63 min.)
10:03PM - The Butcher (Series Premiere, 62 min.)

BRAVO:
8PM - Southern Charm
9PM - The Real Housewives of New York City
10PM - Best Room Wins
11PM - Watch What Happens Live With Andy Cohen (TV personality Ramona Singer; TV personality Craig Conover)

MTV:
9PM - The Challenge (Season Finale, 62 min.)

SCIENCE:
9PM - Impossible Engineering - Extreme Railroads: Himalaya Mega Bridge
10PM - Skyscrapers: Engineering the Future - Cities in the Sky

FX:
10PM - What We Do In The Shadows

IFC:
10PM - Brockmire (Season Finale)

SYFY:
10PM - Happy!

TV ONE:
10PM - The DL Hughley Show (Jonathan Adams)

TBS:
10:30PM - Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
11PM - Conan (Lisa Kudrow)

COMEDY CENTRAL:
11PM - The Daily Show with Trevor Noah (Journalist and author Rachel Louise Snyder, 36 min.)

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap
post #29929 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Nielsen Overnights (Broadcast)
TV Ratings: 'The Voice' and 'NCIS' Reach Finale Lows
By Rick Porter, The Hollywood Reporter - May 22, 2019

The Voice and NCIS both drew their smallest finale ratings ever as they closed their 16th seasons Tuesday, while CBS' summer series Blood & Treasure got off to a modest start.

The finale of The Voice delivered a 1.1 rating among adults 18-49 and 7.38 million viewers. Both figures are multi-week highs for the show, but it falls well short of both the fall cycle's finale (1.7 in adults 18-49, 9.89 million viewers) and the final episode of spring 2018 (1.5, 8.77 million).

Preceding The Voice, The Village closed out its season with a 0.6 in the 18-49 demo, even with a week ago.

NCIS, meanwhile, posted a 1.2 in adults 18-49 and 11.94 million viewers for its season 16 finale. That's up slightly compared with last week but comes in as the veteran drama's lowest-rated season finale in adults 18-49. It's on par with the 12.07 million who tuned in for the 2018 closer.

The two-hour premiere of Blood & Treasure followed with a 0.6 in adults 18-49 and 5.68 million viewers. The adventure drama lost more than 1.5 million viewers in its second hour.

At ABC, the season finale of American Housewife (0.7) was off slightly week to week, while Black-ish (0.7) ended its season on an up note. The Kids Are Alright (0.6), Bless This Mess (0.6) and ABC News' 1969 (0.4) were all steady.

Fox got a 0.7 (even with last week) from Masterchef Junior and a 0.5 from the finale of Mental Samurai, which ticked up. The 100 scored a 0.2 for The CW.

NBC's 0.9 average among adults 18-49 was good enough to lead primetime over the 0.8 for CBS. ABC and Fox tied for third at 0.6; Univision and Telemundo tied at 0.4; and The CW trailed with a 0.2.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...1-2019-1212912
post #29930 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

TV Notes (Cable)
Love Island: U.S. Version to Air 5 Nights a Week This Summer on CBS
By Ryan Schwartz, TVLine.com - May 22, 2019

Will CBS’ Love Island succeed where Fox’s Paradise Hotel has failed? The Eye network has announced that its adaptation of the hit U.K. reality show will premiere on Tuesday, July 9 at 8/7c and air five — yes, five — nights a week through Wednesday, Aug. 7.

For the uninitiated: Love Island sends a pack of sexy singles (or “Islanders”) to an exotic locale in search of love. Every few days, the Islanders must couple-up — and those who fail to find a partner are at risk of being “dumped” from the island. Along the way, challenges arise in the form of new arrivals and myriad dramatic twists. Meanwhile, viewers at home will have the opportunity to “shape events on screen” and crown one lucky couple the winner of a cash prize. (A host and cast will be revealed at a later date.)

“As the buzziest reality show in the U.K., Love Island has won the hearts of viewers across the pond as well as around the world, creating appointment viewing and fanfare for audiences everywhere. We are thrilled to bring our version of this cultural phenomenon to CBS,” Sharon Vuong, CBS’ SVP of Alternative Programming, said in a statement. “This fun, light-hearted series is like watching your favorite romantic comedy five nights a week!”

The Love Island announcement comes just days after Fox scaled back its similar reality show Paradise Hotel. The buzzy revival was set to air three nights a week, but has been reduced to Thursdays only following dismal ratings.

In addition to Love Island, CBS’ summer slate includes Big Brother 21, new action-adventure series Blood & Treasure (airing Tuesdays at 10 pm), the final season of Elementary (premiering Thursday at 10 pm) and Instinct Season 2 (premiering Sunday, June 16).

https://tvline.com/2019/05/22/love-i...ake-july-2019/
post #29931 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 10:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked: 498
NFL changed start times of the 2 divisional sunday playoff games - was 1:05/4:40 now 3:05/6:40 = later the game bigger the rating.

Also singleheader rule changed so now EVERY market will get 3 sunday afternoon games every wk - sometimes was only 2 if local team was home.

Also SNF was the #1 tv show 18-49 for the 9th yr in a row & #1 total viewers 8th yr in a row the most for any tv show ever.
aaronwt likes this.

post #29932 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 01:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked: 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitchatjf View Post
I had assumed it would be offered in stores as an addon. Had it been offered in the 1980s in ADDITION to Reg coke as opposed to instead of we would still have it today.

The so called New Cole was Diet Coke with Corn syrup. Coke Zero is regular coke without sugar
I've been a Diet Coker for ages. Someone suggested I try Coke Zero. I did. It brought back horrible taste memories of TAB. Reg Coke is too sweet now. Back-in-the-day (Reg) Coke was it! Jus' sayin '. A few peanuts put into the bottle was good, too. As I said, too sweet now, can't go back no' mo'.

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

"I watch a lot of movies, I know what I'm doing." - Daniel Lugo
post #29933 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 148
I will not touch Coke, unless it is Mexican Coke. Pure cane sugar in that, and it is as good as the original way back when.

My humble little 5.1 system, "Virtual Cinema" front, wall of sound config:
65" LG OLED
Yamaha TSR-7810
2 JBL Studio 580 Towers, 2 JBL 530 Bookshelfs, and a JBL 520C Center.
Power Sound Audio V1500
post #29934 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
NFL changed start times of the 2 divisional sunday playoff games - was 1:05/4:40 now 3:05/6:40 = later the game bigger the rating.

Also singleheader rule changed so now EVERY market will get 3 sunday afternoon games every wk - sometimes was only 2 if local team was home.

Also SNF was the #1 tv show 18-49 for the 9th yr in a row & #1 total viewers 8th yr in a row the most for any tv show ever.
Back to horse racin', WILL anything be salvaged at Belmont, or WILL '19 be known for The Triple Groan?

Panasonic TC65CX850U Yamaha RX-V1079 Technics SU-V650 Panasonic DMP-UB900 Sony UBP-X800 Polk Audio SDA-2B

post #29935 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
TV Notes (Syndication)
Ellen DeGeneres Extends Daytime Talk Show Run Through 2022
By Joe Otterson, Variety.com - May 21, 2019
EXCERPT
Ellen DeGeneres is sticking with her daytime talk show.
EXCERPT
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/ell...22-1203223116/
I've always been glad she's been on in daytime.
JoeTiVo likes this.

post #29936 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Technology/Business Notes
Comcast is reportedly developing a device that would track your bathroom habits
By Christina Farr, CNBC.com - May 21, 2019
EXCERPT
Comcast is working on an in-home device to monitor people’s health, and aims to begin pilot-testing it later this year.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/21/comc...azon-echo.html
I thought I noticed one this mornin'.

post #29937 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked: 4340
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboy7 View Post
Well, poo. This lessens the value of NFL Sunday Ticket a bit for me in that it increases the odds of the teams we follow being carried locally, which blacks out the game on NFLST. Last year, we only needed NFLST for maybe 5 games. This year, it'll probably be only 3 or 4. Prefer NFLST as the CBS quality is better than local. Fox is about the same. Have to see how it goes, I guess... Thanks for that update.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #29938 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nielsen Notes (Cable)
Stephen Colbert Scores First ‘Late Show’ Ratings Win Over ‘Tonight Show’ in 24 Years
By Tony Maglio, TheWrap.com - May 22, 2019
EXCERPT
Stephen Colbert has brought the TV ratings crown back to CBS after more than two decades. “The Late Show” host scored the first season-long win among adults 18-49 in 24 years, just barely edging Jimmy Fallon’s “Tonight Show” on NBC.
“Jimmy Kimmel Live” on ABC finished third in the key demo, as well as in total viewers.
In terms of total viewers, Colbert separated himself by Fallon by a pretty wide margin, claiming his third-straight victory there.
https://www.thewrap.com/stephen-colb...time-24-years/
Fallon and Corden need to go.

post #29939 of 32565 Old 05-22-2019, 01:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Nielsen Notes
Syndication Ratings: ‘Judge Judy’ Takes Advantage of 'Jeopardy!''s Holzhauer Break to Reclaim Lead
By Paige Albiniak, Broadcasting & Cable - May 21, 2019
EXCERPT
Without superstar player James Holzhauer, CBS Television Distribution’s Jeopardy! fell back to earth in the week ended May 12 allowing CTD’s Judge Judy to reclaim the syndication lead in the second full week of the May sweep.
https://www.broadcastingcable.com/ne...o-reclaim-lead
Baloney!

post #29940 of 32565 Old 05-23-2019, 05:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
Well, poo. This lessens the value of NFL Sunday Ticket a bit for me in that it increases the odds of the teams we follow being carried locally, which blacks out the game on NFLST. Last year, we only needed NFLST for maybe 5 games. This year, it'll probably be only 3 or 4. Prefer NFLST as the CBS quality is better than local. Fox is about the same. Have to see how it goes, I guess... Thanks for that update.
It's been clarified that it will be a test run and that it may only be two weeks for the season. The teams can block it from happening more then that. This really is only an issue in NY, LA, Bay Area and DC/Baltimore as those are the markets that only get two day games many Sundays instead of three.
DrDon and CHeath like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page