'Childhood's End' on Syfy - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 80Likes

post #61 of 159 Old 12-15-2015, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by oink View Post
What I'm thinking too, but it depends on Ms. Oink.
Quote:
Boy, what a DYNAMITE opener!
I am completely hooked...can't wait for tomorrow's Pt.2.
Guess Mrs. Oink won.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 159 Old 12-15-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
I hope it does not end with the story line of the Twilight Zones " How to Serve Man" episode.
Is that the one that ends with a cookbook that Hannibal Lector would like to use?

I remember reading the short story long before Twilight Zone was born.

In space, no one can hear you scream . . .
post #63 of 159 Old 12-15-2015, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 74
What a great story Arthur C Clarke wrote. They did this really well. The third part will have people scratching their proverbial heads. The effects are way better than what I've seen from Sci fi. Also The Expanse is turning out to be a good series as well with The Magician looking interesting too. I don't mind commercials as it allows snacks and the loo breaks. Haven't used a DVR or VHS recorder in years.

Klipsch so much it Hz
OTA all the way
79 LaScala's
78 Heresy's
Onkyo, Grommes
Thorens
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 159 Old 12-15-2015, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6254 Post(s)
Liked: 5881
Well just got finished with the 1st episode, unfortunately while FFw I stopped as it was showing scenes from the show. Now why someone would show a commercial for a show your watching WHILE your watching it is beyond me. That commercial also "ruined" the reveal since it was fairly easy to put two and two together (they showed the "exit shadow") this was after or right before the scene where they took a picture.

Overall I really liked part 1. I might have lowered my expectations however due to the issues I have heard the production had. Looking forward to the next two parts. I will say SyFy has really stepped it up over the past year/year and a half.

Sent from nowhere
ltownsend and baja7475 like this.
post #65 of 159 Old 12-15-2015, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5299 Post(s)
Liked: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Guess Mrs. Oink won.
She always does...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8te View Post
Well just got finished with the 1st episode, unfortunately while FFw I stopped as it was showing scenes from the show. Now why someone would show a commercial for a show your watching WHILE your watching it is beyond me. That commercial also "ruined" the reveal since it was fairly easy to put two and two together (they showed the "exit shadow") this was after or right before the scene where they took a picture.
This is something that is becoming more and more common.

I think the reason for it might be...
A) Trick you into disengaging the FF button.
B) Try to entice you to stick with the next show segment.
C) Or both.

Anyway, the same concerto pattern is followed in Ep.2 as the opener: Fast, Slow, Fast.
1. Opening exposition
2. Melodrama
3. Big dramatic push at the end

The "Jennifer" subplot I didn't see coming (I expected to see a tail in the Delivery Room).
I'm starting to suspect where this is all going, but I'll restrain from guessing.

post #66 of 159 Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I had finished Night Two and also enjoyed it. From the Write-up in Sci-Fi Magazine, I was concerned that I wouldn't like it since the write-up said the second night would deal more with person issues, faith and religion, distrust of the Overlord. However, the episode kept me engaged.

In both Night One and Night Two, it is important to catch the very end of the episode since that leads to what happens in the next episode.

Night One:
Spoiler!

Night Two:
Spoiler!

I'm looking forward to Night Three, even though my viewing will likely be delayed till way into the night or even until the next day. (It's funny how life tends to interfere with our wants, even when we are retired.)

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #67 of 159 Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3752 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
As big a hassle as using the 30 second skip ahead button is, I appreciate the elegant design of TiVo's Trickplay feature. Although having to hit the skip ahead button 12 times is maddening, the operation still doesn't take very long. Even if you go too far, it doesn't take long to get back to the start of the next segment with the 8 second skip back button.
If you have a new TiVo Bolt or a Roamio and reside in the Chicago or San Francisco markets you get SkipMode which with just one press of a button you move right to the beginning of the next segment. No more finger cramps from pressing the skip button several times during commercial breaks and no more adjusting back when you overshoot, it's a pretty awesome feature.
post #68 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 05:18 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 5868 Post(s)
Liked: 6435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
If you have a new TiVo Bolt or a Roamio and reside in the Chicago or San Francisco markets you get SkipMode which with just one press of a button you move right to the beginning of the next segment. No more finger cramps from pressing the skip button several times during commercial breaks and no more adjusting back when you overshoot, it's a pretty awesome feature.
My memory is a little fuzzy on it, but wasn't there a device (Replay TV?) in the early days of DVR's that would allow you to do that very thing? Weren't they basically sued out of existence by the content providers?
post #69 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked: 5727
Quote:
Apparently the commercial skip feature works only in certain markets on the TiVo Roamio. My daughter and son in law, who live in Tulsa, have a couple of Roamios but still have to use the Trickplay buttons the same way I do on my Premiere Elite. As intriguing as the Roamios are, they aren't for me. Their max capacity is only 1TB, which is half what I have on my Premier Elite. Also, TiVo has raised the price of a lifetime subscription to the point that buying a new TiVo with lifetime no longer makes economic sense. Thus, I will continue to amortize the lifetime subscription on my Premiere Elite.
post #70 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
Apparently the commercial skip feature works only in certain markets on the TiVo Roamio. My daughter and son in law, who live in Tulsa, have a couple of Roamios but still have to use the Trickplay buttons the same way I do on my Premiere Elite. As intriguing as the Roamios are, they aren't for me. Their max capacity is only 1TB, which is half what I have on my Premier Elite. Also, TiVo has raised the price of a lifetime subscription to the point that buying a new TiVo with lifetime no longer makes economic sense. Thus, I will continue to amortize the lifetime subscription on my Premiere Elite.
The Roamio Pro(6 tuner) comes with a 3 TB drive while the Roamio Plus(6 tuner/1 TB)) is no longer for sale. You might check out the TiVo Community Forum and TiVo.com because they've been doing so pretty good deals for the Pro and the service. The base model(4 tuner) is also going for some great prices. And with the Roamio line, it's simple to increase the drive space, all you do is drop a fresh raw drive in and the Roamio does the rest; no prep needed like for the older models.

Just a thought anyway.

P.S. Yes, as I noted in an earlier post, SkipMode is available everywhere for the Bolt line but currently only in the SF bay area and Chicago markets for the Roamio line.
post #71 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
My memory is a little fuzzy on it, but wasn't there a device (Replay TV?) in the early days of DVR's that would allow you to do that very thing? Weren't they basically sued out of existence by the content providers?
I think so, I never had one so I don't remember the details. The TiVo system takes the top 20 viewed stations and a team of techs at TiVo does the work setting the skip points. When the episode is done recording a background connection is made to the TiVo servers and the recording is updated with the skip points. This is only for prime time shows. I think it's the best feature TiVo has come out with in years.
post #72 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Bravo to SyFy for this jewel. Just happened across it Monday and the rewatched the encore and episode 2 and can't wait for the finale tonight. Still a mystery as to what's ahead which is good but took me by surprise when the OverLord was revealed as the Devil yet I noticed last night in a scene that he mentioned he was an Agent/Servant himself and not truly the one in charge.

It remains a mystery since that small dialogue was so brief and never questioned that one has to wonder is what we see as manifested is even real at all. We are manipulated through the visual as humans that it all may a game for beings a million years advanced beyond us. Love the fact we're left guessing after four hours but truly unique slant on Alien Invasion and done quite well for what normally is a budget network.

Part Three? What's with the Children of the Damned type scenario and why would they be needed. How do you fight a force so advanced that using your mind/emotions to enrapture and enslave you?

Thank you SyFy! Would UTOPIA truly work? Isn't it the Journey rather than the Destination that counts?
ltownsend and Ph8te like this.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's

Last edited by westa6969; 12-16-2015 at 10:52 AM.
post #73 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post
Isn't it the Journey rather than the Destination that counts?
It depends on the company and how much alcohol is involved.

post #74 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6845 Post(s)
Liked: 15382
Quote:
It depends on the company and how much alcohol is involved.
And bacon.
Ph8te likes this.

post #75 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
And bacon.
Spoiler!

post #76 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 4422 Post(s)
Liked: 5727
Quote:
The Roamio Pro(6 tuner) comes with a 3 TB drive while the Roamio Plus(6 tuner/1 TB)) is no longer for sale. You might check out the TiVo Community Forum and TiVo.com because they've been doing so pretty good deals for the Pro and the service. The base model(4 tuner) is also going for some great prices. And with the Roamio line, it's simple to increase the drive space, all you do is drop a fresh raw drive in and the Roamio does the rest; no prep needed like for the older models.

Just a thought anyway.

P.S. Yes, as I noted in an earlier post, SkipMode is available everywhere for the Bolt line but currently only in the SF bay area and Chicago markets for the Roamio line.
I scoped out the Roamio lineup pretty carefully some time ago when my daughter and son in law bought theirs. I decided then that a Roamio wouldn't give me anything I needed that my Premiere Elite didn't already provide.

If I decide I want to up my storage I need only add the 1TB Western Digital MyBook that I used to use with my now retired Series3. Thus, I'm set until and unless TiVo decides to tempt me with a 2 or 3TB edition of the Roamio. So far, 2TB is just right, although 1TB wouldn't be enough. Also, because I have used TiVos ever since 2000, I long ago learned to make the Trickplay function do everything but whistle Dixie.

Watched the second episode of Childhood's End last night and enjoyed it. Really looking forward to tonight's concluding episode.
Keenan likes this.
post #77 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy View Post
Yes, but when one reads about the court case, it looks like ReplayTV didn't lose the case but it was so expensive that they ended up filing for bankruptcy, and the entertainment companies then dismissed their lawsuit against ReplayTV, so precedent wasn't established.

Tivo uses a different method: in certain markets, humans mark the start and end of commercial breaks for prime-time shows, and later that evening that information is available for devices that support Skip Mode. However, the way I read the Electronic Freedom Frontier summary, I don't see anything that would prevent the entertainment companies from suing Tivo over the same issues.

In the back of my mind I seem to recall that there was a product that wouldn't record commercials, but that was quickly shut down because it involved altering copyright content rather than altering the playback of copyright content, the skipping on playback essentially being an automation of the viewer FF past the commercials, but the commercials are still available in case the viewer wants to see them.

Why would one want to see the commercials? Speaking as one who normally FF past commercials, sometimes a commercial will catch my eye and I'll back up to see that commercial, sometimes because the commercial is entertaining, sometimes because the commercial looks like it is for a possibly entertaining movie or show.

There have been several commercials on Syfy that had led me to at least try some of their shows, sometimes enjoying them (e.g., Killjoys, Dark Matter), sometimes not (Dominion, Reactor).

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #78 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 740
Interesting final episode. It definitely had a science fiction ending.
post #79 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post
Interesting final episode. It definitely had a science fiction ending.
Yes. And overall, I think I would rate the entire three nights at a near 4 stars on the Netflix 5-star scale (1=hated, 3=liked, 5=LOVED; anything above a 3 tells Netflix you want to see more like this).

Even though it had been a long time since I read the book, one thing didn't seem to make it to the miniseries that I think it would be fitting to mention here from the book.

Note: watch the whole series (repeats this Sunday 9am-3pm) before viewing this, because this will indeed reveal information about the end of the third night:
Spoiler!
Ph8te likes this.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #80 of 159 Old 12-16-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Spoiler!
Very cool...thanx.
I haven't read the book before and this is helpful.

post #81 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Very cool...thanx.
I haven't read the book before and this is helpful.
agree yes thanks
post #82 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6845 Post(s)
Liked: 15382
Liked it. Couple of loose ends that I don't quite get.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Waboman; 12-17-2015 at 09:22 AM.
post #83 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 100
If I recall the ending in the book: Instead of a flat out explosion, the planet began to fade out as it merged with the Overmind. Rodericks described the feeling of becoming intangible and said goodbye to Karellan. More poignant in my opinion than what was showed last night.
ltownsend likes this.
post #84 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar View Post
If I recall the ending in the book: Instead of a flat out explosion, the planet began to fade out as it merged with the Overmind. Rodericks described the feeling of becoming intangible and said goodbye to Karellan. More poignant in my opinion than what was showed last night.
The Syfy ending seemed the more sciencey way to go. Stuff just fading away would appear to violate the conservation of mass and energy concepts .

post #85 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 64
First episode was quite interesting and thought provoking

But the rest... stupid story. Crude mix of pseudo science and religion. Creationists had fun for sure.
Stereodude likes this.
post #86 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I was pleasantly surprised with Syfy's effort here. Kudos. Hopefully we will get more Clarke TV/Film adaptations. Rendezvous with Rama has been in development hades for years. Love to see "The Fountains of Paradise" or "The Songs of Distant Earth" adapted to video also.
gwsat likes this.
post #87 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 10307
I will add a request for Arthur C. Clarke's "The City and the Stars."
post #88 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 09:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waboman View Post
Liked it. Couple of loose ends that I don't quite get.

Spoiler!
You have some valid loose ends. Perhaps, I will read the book as I have read most of his already. One question I had is where did the children float off too, or did their consciousness leave their bodies and merge. As far as to why they had to get rid of the earth, I think it was because it was right in the middle of the new galactic highway being built. Or maybe I am intermixing stories.
post #89 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 44
In the novel, the children were isolated on a seperate continent from the adults as they awaited covergence with the Overmind. Also, Karellin didn't reveal himself for 50 years, unlike the 15 years in the miniseries.
post #90 of 159 Old 12-17-2015, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
As far as to why they had to get rid of the earth, I think it was because it was right in the middle of the new galactic highway being built. Or maybe I am intermixing stories.
Childhood's End was written in 1953 by Arthur C. Clark.

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (with the demolition of earth to make room for the hyperspatial express route) was conceived by Douglas Adams and the first public form was a comedy play on BBC Radio 4 in 1978. It has been expanded over the years, including a "trilogy" of 5 books, a BBC TV series (which I really enjoyed), and the 2005 movie (which I also really enjoyed).

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Programming

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page